Author Topic: Proposing The Concert Of Democracy  (Read 1048 times)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Proposing The Concert Of Democracy
« on: December 20, 2023, 11:57:12 PM »

Announcing The Concert of Democracies
A Message To the democracies of Mundus

Greetings and best wishes to my friends and counterparts abroad, I hope this message finds you well.

While we have seen the promise of a union of nations based upon representative government in the Network of Republics I feel that this concept, at least as represented by the Network, is flawed and neglects to represent the many forms of democracy that exist upon Mundus. It is for those reasons that I propose the "Concert of Democracies", an institution I feel shall address the shortcomings of the Network and provide for an association of democratic states which reflects the many interpretations of representative government which exist upon Mundus. Together we shall address the many challenges which exist to maintaining our democracies and, I hope, in providing a network of support for democratic governance across Mundus in a manner which is, to date, presently lacking, I offer what is, my admittedly, bare-bones concept for the Charter of the COD, so that we may fill in the blanks together in strengthening the democratic institutions of Mundus:

1. The Parties pledge never to use military force, and never to plan to use military force, against one other except in the event of a coup or revolution within a specified member nation.
2. The Parties commit to hold multiparty, free, and fair elections at regular intervals.
3. The Parties commit to uphold internationally recognized civil and political rights for all their citizens and to make these rights enforceable by an independent judiciary, including rights recognized by the MCUR and Abrahamic Declaration.
4. The Parties recognize that sovereign states have a responsibility to protect their own citizens from avoidable catastrophe - mass murder and rape, ethnic cleansing by forcible expulsion and terror, and deliberative starvation and exposure to disease - but that when they are unwilling or unable to do so, that responsibility must be borne by the international community.
5. The Parties undertake to contribute to the further development of peaceful and friendly international relations by promoting liberal democracy as a model of government and by bringing about a better understanding throughout the world of the principles upon which democratic institutions are founded.
6. The Treaty does not affect, and shall not be interpreted as affecting in any way, the rights and obligations under any pre-existing obligations to the same pursuits.
7. Action pursuant to article four and consistent with the purposes of presently existing international law, including the use of military force, may be approved by a two-thirds majority of the parties.
8. Action to enforce the purposes stated henceforth in the wake of a threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression, may be approved by a two-third majority of the parties.

Democracy itself is a delicate force, but one which is most powerful, harnessing the collective voices of a People is no easy task, equally so, no institution which seeks to aid and support democratic governments may form itself without a diverse cast of voices and rationales behind it. It is the hope of this First Empire that we may join together to protect democracy, to support it beyond our boarders, and to be wise stewards of the present to present to those who follow in our steps a roadmap something better. I hope we can join together, in Pytettania, to discuss the terms necessary to establish such an organization. And I hope, together, we can defend democracy, whether it is strong or in its nascent steps.

I look forward to your reply. Yours, in friendship;

Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Proposing The Concert Of Democracy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 01:47:30 AM »

A Private Reply on the Concert of Democracy

The Achkaerinese Government stands by it's concerns as raised in the released press statement on the Concert, the Empress of Rokkenjima is reminded that ignoring the problems as the Kōshaku seems to be doing does not mean that the problems do not exist. Rokkenjima's time would be better spent engaging with the Achkaerinese Government and solving the problems rather getting involved in diplomatic posturing especially considering that it is criticizing a foreign nation for the exact thing that Rokkenjima itself has done on many occasions in the past. It should also be noted that the Achkaerinese Press Office does not exist solely for the audience of Rokkenjima it is the means for the Achkaerinese Government to make statements in an official capacity for the benefit of informing every nation on Mundus, therefore a statement factually outlining the issues with the Concert is entirely appropriate in that forum. The First Empire should also bear in mind that the comments made by Empress Serenity on this were made in a Senate question session where she is required to give a response, there is no difference between that and any equivalent mechanism across Mundus.

The Achkaerinese Government also points out to Empress Sutaraito that if a foreign government official went to the press and insulted her intelligence there would undoubtedly be a public response from Rokkenjima, therefore she cannot be surprised that when the Kōshaku insults the intelligence of Empress Serenity (as evidenced by the Achkaerinese press release clearly disproving the assertions of the Kōshaku in the Rokkenjiman Press) that the response is public. The Rokkenjiman Empress knows very well that Achkaerinese policy has been historically and remains that concerns are usually raised privately however she (and the Kōshaku) will also remember that when it comes to the character of Achkaerinese officials being impugned that such things result in a robust public defence, as would be reasonably expected of any nation.

We once again suggest the Rokkenjiman Government focus on engaging with the issues rather than diplomatic posturing.

Signed

Cheryl Holmes
Minister for the Diplomatic Office

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: Proposing The Concert Of Democracy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 10:10:17 PM »

Re: The Concert of Democracies

Recognizing the Empress' desires to address a broad variety of issues, many of which impact nations beyond those who identify as democracies, progress upon the Concert is being paused until further notice. The First Empire looks forward to engaging with a variety of nations on an idea which the Empress has taken from ideas expoused by her predecessors, yet never properly put to pen or effort. It will be my pleasure to work with my counterparts across Mundus upon this project, one which I feel has the potential to effect lasting positive change throughout Mundus.

This is not an end to the effort to see democratic voices represented in a joint manner on the international stage yet it represents a strategic pause to ensure that we, as democracies, get things right in this pursuit. I offer an apology for any perceived slights against my friends in the Empire, any such perception certainly wasn't intentional on my part I can assure. I look forward to engaging in partnership in our ventures moving forward.

Kōshaku of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis