Author Topic: The Making of a God (Emperor)  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Helgara

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Helgara Collective
The Making of a God (Emperor)
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Guardin's Rest

After a few hours of travel, the Council of 13 had finally arrived to Guardin's Rest. It would have been much faster if they had just flown to island of Istra, but tradition demanded that they sailed. At least the castle was on the coastline. Hira couldn't imagine having to ride on horseback to the castle if it was further inland. It wasn't that he wasn't religious, Hira was about to begin the process to become a god, he just didn't care for useless tradition and precedent. Which the next week would be full of. Although he was a bit intrigued, Hira had never seen the rituals that turned man into god. And he wasn't the only one, almost half of the Avatars hadn't either. Valik died an old man. It was good that he was gone, he was everything Hira despised about the Church, ancient and stuck to tradition. It made sense that Valik walked the Path of Light.

Hira was leading the procession as they crossed the bridge and walked to the main gate. He looked back, the Avatars were in their various clumps, always playing politics with that group. There were two stragglers at the back- Harper and Avatar Keylo. Hira didn't know much about Harper despite choosing her to succeed him on the Council. She was young, only 17, and walked the Path of Shadows. Both things he liked about her. She was also said to be extremely intelligent and pragmatic, two traits that would serve the Council well. From what he knew of her, it seemed strange that she would be training to become a Night Sister. The Sisters were skilled assassins, not exactly the place for someone with Harper's mind. Keylo was a different story. She had actually served as a Night Sister for many years before becoming an Avatar. No doubt she felt a sort of kinship to Harper because of it. Hira had heard that Keylo had been extremely gifted as a killer, she had no equal. Her talent earned her the respect of her superior and she was made an Avatar. Politics and leadership did not suit her. She hated the game of influence, secrets and alliances the Council played. It was because of that Keylo was Hira's greatest ally during his time as Avatar, they both despited their contemporaries.

Hira turned to look as the Widow approached him. She was an ancient woman, her back arched as she walked, her knees crackling. No one knew her true name, those that knew her before she was the Widow were all dead by now. Most simply called her Mea, mother. Hira felt a fondness for her, she was sly and cunning in a way some of her years almost shouldn't be. She had a way of simply appearing and sneaking up on people when they least expected it. Hira often wondered if part of her age was just an act.

"Yir (child), are you prepared for the trials ahead?" The Widow asked as she began to walk next to Hira.

"Trials? I thought this was a few simple rituals and some purifications. I figured I have to endure some old men rubbing oil all over my body for a week."

"Ha," her laugh was a high and powerful crack. "To become a God takes more than just oil. This won't be the kind of purification you're use to. Prepare your mind, Hira. They call you Rage Eternal for a reason, do they not? Brute strength will only get you so far."

Strange, Hira had spent his time as an Avatar very well-mannered. Before he left to join the Council, his master had warned him of the same thing.

"Aw, yes. Blade Master Yorik did well to give you that advice, and you did well to heed it. But I caution you again, this road will not be so easy." Hira was shocked, how would the Widow know of Yorik? Seeing the distress on his face, she smiled. "Yorik is an old friend of mine. Few may be old enough to remember it, but I had a long and full life before becoming an Avatar."

"Mea, you never cease to surprise."

At that point, the pair had reached the main gate. On cue, the large wooden doors swung open to the courtyard. One either side the yard was filled with robed figures, their heads hidden under their hoods. They were kneeling, facing towards the other group. They left a small break that lead into the castle. On the right all the robes where black and on the left they were white. Hira marveled at this. He could tell this monks were all quite old. As church officials grew and matured they often began to understand the dual nature of Crissaar, often wearing robes to reflect this, even if they would never join Crissaar Undivided. A small rarity would maintain a strict observance to their chosen path. Even Hira, with his deep hatred for the Path of Light, still had a bit of white on his robes.

A man in full white robes walked out from the castle towards Hira, his arms outstretched. Arch-Chaplain Worten, the head of Guardian's Rest.

"Welcome to where you shall ascend to Heaven. Come let us make you a God."

Offline Helgara

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Helgara Collective
Re: The Making of a God (Emperor)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:19:37 AM »

There had been the usual exchange of greetings and congratulations and then Worten ushered them in for the welcoming dinner, despite the fact that it was 2PM. Hira was annoyed to say the least. He thought maybe his reputation would speed the unnecessaries along, but the Chaplain seemed overjoyed and relished in traditions. They had been rushed into the great hall and almost instantly food was upon them. Hira hadn't even gotten a chance to notice who was seated near him. To his right was Keylo, of-course. Somedays it almost seemed like she was attached to him, the way she cling to him. To his left was Xia. Xia was a strange one. Universally hated by the rest of the Avatars, Hira didn't mind him. Sure Xia had lead the Nir'Shado terrorists, often fighting the church directly. Hira had lost many of comrades to the Nir'Shado, but he had also killed his fair share of them too. But Xia hated the excess of the church just as much as Hira, if not more. Keylo was less sympathetic. She despised Xia. Funny, if not for their allegiances, their hatred of their duties would have made them fast friends. Or at least wary allies.

Hira looked for Harper. She was seated at the end of the table, next to The Widow. He did not envy the poor girl. The Widow could be nosy at the best of times. Even as he watched, the Widow was rambling about something while Harper stared blankly off into space. There was something about the girl that interested him. She was young, younger than even he was when he was raised to Avatar. He almost pitied her, the pulls of power leave their mark on everyone, the young especially. She was said to be exceptionally skilled. Hira had actually chosen her on advice from Yorik. The two rarely talked anymore, but if there was one man that had an eye for talent it was Yorik.

"She's perhaps the most naturally gifted fighter I've ever seen. I knew Keylo in her prime, and Harper comes close. But Harper has something she never had, she has a fighting spirit like you would not believe. The girl refuses to give up, if she's not careful it'll be the death of her." Yorik's words ran through Hira's head.

"But why the girl? Keylo is already the Avatar of Skill."

"If the moment is ever right, ask Harper where her mother is." Hira shook his head. Now was not to be thinking about some old has-been. He focused back on the dinning table. The monks had laid out a wide selection of fish, prepared and cooked in several different ways. They looked freshly catch too. The Avatars had already dug in, chatting with one another.

"Xia, tell me, how much are the Nir'Shado offering to the one that kills you?" Xia turned to Hira and smiled.

"15 million Khronemas if they kill me, 20 million bonus if they can deliver my head."

"Do the Nir'Shado even have that kind of funding?"

"Yes and no. No they don't, but I'm sure they have hackers who are capable of delivering that if need be. It would be very risky for them no doubt. But revenge drives people to do wild things."

"Do you harbor no ill will towards them? Were you not their leader?"

"Yes, I was. I built the first Nir'Shado cells personally. But I trained them well. The hardliners will never surrender their ideals."

"The Nir'Shado are gutless cowards. They use cheap bombs and kill civilians without warrant. To bear the name of the old holy guard of Ionia is a disgrace and a mockery." Keylo, never willing to look past her own point of view. In spite of himself, Hira smiled. He may hate everything about the Council of 13, but at least things never really changed.

Xia turned towards Keylo, like a lion ready to pounce. This was the kind of comment commonly made towards him, and he was ready to defend. "Is there another way to fight in this modern world? When you have powers such as Rokkenjima, Achkaerin, even Moreland? There is no way a little traditional rebellion could ever directly stand against them. The weapons of the military-industrial complex are far too powerful. What can a thousand of angry voices do against a nuke? Or even a squadron of bombers, a division of tanks? Nothing. That is the beauty of my Nir'Shado. If you can't beat your enemy, change the rules of the game. Train freedom fighters to ensure nowhere is safe. Make everyone a suspect and then no one really is. The Nir'Shado can strike at anytime and disappear into the crowd at any moment. This is the way empires crumble in the modern world. This is how nations fall, from within."

"But you're fighting the Church of Crissaar which lacks the powerful military you describe. Helgara doesn't even have a standing army. Terror tactics are cheap and easy."

"Helgara may not have an army, but how many orders answer to the church that house member trained almost from birth to kill? Common people could, and will, never win in a direct fight."

"The members are the church are Crissaar's chosen people, anointed by the Goddess, herself." Xia opened his mouth to reply, but Hira raised his hand and silenced him.

"Come now, this is a happy and joyous time, let us not spoil it with talks of ideology and warcraft." It was at this moment that Worten re-entered the dining hall. Hira couldn't help but wrinkle his nose in disgust. He made his descent across the table towards Hira, stoping to talk to the occasional Avatar, mostly the older ones. He likely knew them from when Valik ascended to Godhood. After what Hira deemed far too long, Worten finally reached Hira.

"Arise Avatar, the time has come from your trials to begin."