Author Topic: Global News Network  (Read 18577 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Global News Network
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »
OOC- An attempt to give a bit of colour to the NPC's. If you want to have a news-story here please PM DaveIronside

SAFRAEN REMEMBERS

Today the people of Safraen have gathered in the capital, Polua, to take part in the annual Memorial Day service. The annual commemoration marks the day that the nation was given the all clear following the nation being devestated by the Kajiu Virus in 2014. The virus swept through the country and is estimated 20% of the nations population died while several hundred thousand were left with serious long term health implications. The nations President, Mikhael Dretsyj, lead the celebration at the Memorial Park which stands at the site of the capitals former football stadium, which during the virus outbreak was turned into a makeshift field hospital. The day also holds significance as it was also the day on which the nation was temporarily split into two as forces from the USR took control of half the nation. This later lead to a second outbreak of the virus in the Soviet controlled zone, leading to further deaths. President Dretsyj gave the annual address saying, "Five years ago we celebrated the fact that we survived and mourned the fact we were no longer a united country. Today we stand as one nation to remember those who do not survive the most turbulent times our nation has faced and give thanks that we stand here today. Our nation is still healing from its scars and this will take many years but at least this is a challenge we shall face together."

There were representatives at the event of the former Commonwealth of Independent States nations who provided humanitarian aid during the virus outbreak and who lost soldiers protecting civilians from looters.

ALLIED STATES DISCUSS CONTINENTAL RAILWAY

The Parliament of the Allied States of Ardia are set this week to discuss the nation joining the continental wide railway networks that have been discussed in Ardia. The project has seen attempts to form a railway line from Ui Cenneslaig to New Derusima however Praetor Julius Devaux has today announced that the government are keen to add the Allied States to the project by extending the line to the capital of Cescedia. The high speed railway line is expected to cost several billion to build and as such opposition parties have criticised the intention to take part. One opposition leader stated, "The nation has bigger priorities that need billions. We should be using Parliaments time to discuss the ever fractious nature of Ardian continental politics and the fact our military is severely lacking. Our geopolitical position puts us in dire jeopodey sandwiched between Rokkenjima and SANE who seem intent on constant sabre rattling."

With all six states required to agree to the construction project it is unlikely that the passage of the route will be smooth as some states may seek to utilise this national project to advance their own agendas.

PRESIDENT ADOPTS ALBINO ELEPHANT

Last week National Park Rangers in Zimalia spotted a unique new addition to the parks elephant herd. A small albino elephant had been born and seemed struggling to cope with keeping up with the herd. The strangely coloured elephant was being closely protected by its mother who seemed to be trying to provide shade for the young animal. Park Rangers made the decision to initially euthanise the animal believing that it would face health difficulties because of the sunlight and its eyes. The animal however was saved by a Presidential decree when President Elwes issued orders that he had adopted the animal. The President is a frequent spectator at the national park which was set up to try and boost tourism and look after endangered species. The charasmatic President said, "Us Zimalians are not racist, we will not make anyone a victim of violence because of their skin colour, even elephants. The albino youngster will have a home in Zimalia as long as we can provide it. The albino is now just another of my favourite children, just like all Zimalians." It is understood that the elephant and its mother have been moved to a special enclosure where the baby can have extra shade and can be cared for by wildlife experts.

PRESIDENT KLEPAKHOV TO HAVE SURGERY

President Artemiy Klepakhov of the United Soviet of Rodina has announced that over the weekend he will enter hospital for surgery on his stomach. The 67 year old leader confirmed that he has been suffering from bouts of pain over the last few months after being photographed grimacing at a series of public appearances. The successor to Stalin has been in charge of the USR for four years and has overseen attempts to recover the nation from the collapse that came with Stalin's demise. He has been credited by many with halting a potential civil war with aid from neighbouring Kaitaine. Speaking to the People's Conference President Klepakhov said, "I am a man who has been blessed with good health to this point. My stomach has been trying to change my usually perfect health and I will be submitting to surgery to ensure that I can focus on my duties fully again. I will be out of circulation so to speak for probably a week during which time the Vice-President will be keeping a steady hand on the rudder and our people need not worry. This is a routine operation and I will be fighting fit again soon."

Kelpakhov clearly expects a quick return to his duties as he has already announced an impending visit from Kaitaine President McPherson to watch a soccer match between the two nations champions. "Me and President McPherson shall enjoy the spectacle over a glass or two of vodka and whiskey. I plan on celebrating many USR goals so I hope my recovery permits."

SHRINE RESTORATION NEARS COMPLETION

The ongoing restoration of The Edicule, a construction that surrounds what is believed to be the final resting place of Jesus Christ, is soon to be completed. The Edicule, a word deriving from aedicule meaning 'little house' - was last reconstructed after a fire in the early 1800s. Following an agreement between all the Churches that have a stake in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre the work was permitted and its $10million cost split evenly between them. The site see's millions of pilgrims a year and the age of the marble along with the weight of all those feet has weakened parts of the structure. The work also gave a rare chance for researchers to be given unprecedented access to the inside of the tomb within the Edicule as part of restoration work. Usually researchers are not given chances to do much work because of restrictions from some or all of the various Churches on the site.

It is expected that the shrine work will be completed by the end of October and a ceremony held to give thanks for the work. The site has seen increased security as there were rumours some antique collectors were seeking to perhaps collect sections of the marble which contain "autographs" from early pilgrims. The site was also targeted earlier in the year by Odinist Fundamentalists of the Gungnir who detonated a bomb outside killing several pilgrims.

LANDLOCKED "NAVY" TO BE SOLD OFF

The Duchy of Aquitaine has today announced that it plans to sell off its five Waverunner corvettes as it changes the formation of its armed forces. The nation acquired five of the ships within weeks of agreeing its amicable split from the Republic of Marseille following a CTO operation to work with local forces to rid the two nations of the presence of Duchess Alys who was seen as a despotic ruler. The government have announced that they intend to sell the vessels and reinvest the money into the Air Force. A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence stated. "At first our waterways security was a concern, however today that is not an issue. We have no need for corvettes to patrol the major river, this is work that can be done by our Police forces and our Air Force. We shall in the coming weeks be searching for a buyer and also a source for some cost effective aviation assets."

Previously the corvettes had utilised an agreement with neighbouring Marseille to reach the ocean however this being some 1,200km away the Ministry of Defence has stated, "We have no need to patrol that coast and as such we are considering approaching our neighbours and giving them first refusal of the ships."

NEW "ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY" TO OPEN IN ABYDOS

A new 10,000 student University is set to open in Ashmaremu, the capital of Abydos. The project which has been totally funded by Pharoah Enna Amenei will allow students to gain degrees in Theology combined with another subject deemed to be "Islamic". The head of the University is Jawaad Rashif who explained, "In antiquity Islamic scholars helped push the world forward in terms of medicine, science, maths and engineering. Today we seek knowledge but we do so with only one eye, many young scholars have forgotten Allah when they read. We seek to instil the word of Allah in their hearts as they seek to use what they learn to help mankind." The University will have a split site with 8,000 places for male students while a neighbouring complext will permit around 2,000 female students to study Theology.

One of the first students to enroll is Miriam Abdullah who is attending the women's University. "I attend Mosque and we have women there telling us of our duties as laid out by the Koran. I sometimes ask them questions and they struggle to answer. I do not blame them, I blame our system. We need to ensure women such as me learn our faith correctly. If we are to spread the word to women we must have women able to guide our study under the guidance of great scholars such as those Imans gathered here. I look forward to becoming a part of my mosque so I can help women fully understand our part in Allah's plan."

The University has stated it hopes to welcome students from across Mundus and as Jawaad Rashif explained, "We may teach Islamic studies but we welcome students of all faiths. A better understanding of faith opens hearts."

NATIONALISTS PARADE TO "GENOCIDE" SHRINE

A group of around 30 members of the Nationalist Samuari League (NSL) today caused controversey when they carried out a march through the streets of Takeda to the Hiromita Shrine, a site controversial because according to local religious beliefs it contains the souls of around 450 members of the military who are thought to have taken part in the genocide of Neuva Ardia. The Nationalist Samurai League have for several years demanded that Shogun Sora Yoshimo withdraw his apology for the actions of those who committed the genocide saying "War is brutal and the side who is more fierce wins. We should not apologise for going all out to win our fight with those devils across the border. These 450 men died defending their homeland and are heroes." The NSL said prayers and made offerings for these men in a ceremony where each of the names was read out.

A counter protest by a Human Rights organisation took place nearby and tried to drown out the reading of the names. Police did their best to move the protesters on giving the protesters leader call to say, "I am ashamed that our nation will be seen in these images honouring evil. The Police have protected them and allowed them to conduct evil today. The police should hang their head in shame. If you do not condemn these 450 souless ghouls you are not human." Small scuffles broke out as the NSL tried to leave and were confronted by the Protesters, at one point the NSL were threatened with arrest as two of their members threatened the protesters with drawn swords.

MELOS MUST HAVE REFERENDUM SAY PROTESTORS

Following his capture of power in 2015 Tero Melos became President of Neuva Ardia and guided the nation through its crisis of a genocide carried out by Toshikawa. The President promised when he came to power that he would see the nation through to its first elections in 2020 and then retire however in recent months he has stated that he intends to run for the position. This has lead to some protestors saying he is acting against his word. Thousands took to the streets demanding that a referendum on term lengths and voting methods take place prior to elections beginning early next year. One protestor stated, "Melos did well in 2016 bringing us back together as a nation after the genocide but now he has been simply living on those good wishes. He has not capitalised on our resources, he has not made progress for our nation and I think a change is needed."

Counter protesters however said a referendum is not needed. "Melos is a man we owe our lives to. He guided us through dark times and stopped the corruption of the royal family. As long as this man has the desire to guide our people we should follow. If he wishes to postpone his retirement so what, he is the man our nation needs."

The President declined to comment saying simply, "This time next year I shall either be in my fishing boat or behind the Presidents desk, once I make my decision which it will be I shall tell the people."

FORMER PRESIDENT'S SHOP TO BECOME "NATIONAL HERITAGE SITE"

Prior to the formation of the Republic of Marseilles Jean-Pierre Cantona was a local butcher in the Falguière district of Montaulon. During the Materna Crisis he along with around 500 other residents formed Real Marseille and waged a relentless guerilla campaign against forces loyal to former Duchess Alys. During the conflict he made contact with Nya Aland special forces and together the ever growing rebel group and the Alander liberated the capital prior to the arrival of CTO coalition forces. In the days that followed it was Mr.Cantona and Alander Birgit Starnd who penned the road map that saw a peaceful split of Aquitaine and Marseille as well as establishing the groundwork for the Republic. Mr.Cantona was named as the nations first President, a position that he held for just four weeks before resigning the position to allow elections. He refused to stand despite strong public support saying famously, "I am a butcher, I know about meat and I know how to use a knife, neither are skills required for leading a nation. I will be happy to return to making my customers happy and not dealing with the nonsense of statecraft."

Today his successor Emile Sauzee unveiled a plaque on the shop which is today run by Mr.Cantona's two sons Julian and Ruben. The plaque stated, "On this site President Cantona set the foundation to bring our nation freedom from tyranny. A grateful republic shall forever remember." Mr.Cantona was at the ceremony and stated, "What happened here is irrelevant. What happened on the streets of the city where our friends shed their blood is what needs to be remembered." The store was flooded by people attending the ceremony many of whom wanted to make a purchase simply to be able to get a carrier bag from the store. The shop is frequently busy with well wishers and displays behind the counter the flag of the old Duchy that was taken down by Jean-Pierre from the Duchesses Palace. Next to it is a torn and ripped Alander flag which was carried by Alander commandos during an operation to break Real Marseille members out of a prison, this saw Alander aircraft fly sorties over the city and the flag was used to identity friendly positions.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Global News Network
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »

"VIKINGS COME BACK" JOKES PRESIDENT ELWES

Following the Imperial Address of Rokkenjima the President of Zimalia Binyamin Elwes was asked his opinion of a return to the Illumic and Mhorish of the Rokkenjimas. The President stated "I have already been yelling "Vikings Come Back", them and the Paracambians and the Tamorans stood by our sovereignty last time Rokkenjima used its military assets in the region. I suppose now we must just be more vigilant." He would not be drawn on his response to a proposed meeting of the Mhorish and Illumic Co-Operative Agency, instead he stated, "I think neighbours should work together but I will not jump when the King to the South demands, if the meeting falls at a time I can fit in then I'll probably attend, I may send a representative. We shall see."

The President also spoke about how the Haghighi Dam project will benefit the people. "Agricultural irrigation, cheap and green electricity, the bounds are endless. Projects such as this have the ability to catapult our nation into a major force in industry and the people behind it have been visionary. I look forward to the moment the first turbine spins. Projects like this show that we are a industrious, hard working and green nation that care about our planet." The President however has faced criticism over the nations supposed "Green" credentials after this week issuing permission for more game hunting farms where prize animals like Lions are bred in captivity on large expanses of land. They are then hunted by tourist trophy hunters with a single Lion fetching around $8,000

CORVETTES SOLD QUICKLY

Aquitaine put their Waverunner class corvettes on sale on Monday and have announced that they have already been sold. The land locked nation oddly had acquired a Navy following its independence from Marseille however with the vessels now being largely useless they have been sold for $70million each with four going  to New Derusima and the final one being sold to what the government have described as a "Private individual" . It is expected that crews to take the ships to their new homes will arrive in the coming days.

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that the funds will be put towards acquiring new aviation assets with an AEWACS aircraft being at the top of the shopping list. It is not yet sure where this will be sourced from with the nation having little domestic aviation manufacturing.

VANORAN ARMY IN FALSE TERROR ALERT DASH

Yesterday at the Church of the Holy Spelchure scenes of Vanoran soldiers rushing into the holy site caused alarm. The 30 soldiers had ran to the site from various patrols around the old medieval centre of Jerusalem when word came of violence. Upon arrival the troops had expected a terror attack similar to that carried out by the Gungnir earlier in the year, instead they found around 20 monks brawling. The troops spent close to an hour calming the situation down and treating monks and pilgrims for cuts and bruises sustained during the fight. The scuffle broke out when one monk belonging to one of the 20 or so sects that have a place of worship on the site was thought to have intentionally swept the dust from his church into a neighbouring one. Eye-witnesses said "words you wouldn't expect a holy man to know were exchanged and then next thing we know fists were flying and monks were running in from everywhere." No arrests were made however Duke David Aragon, the nations Head of State said, "It is vital in a nation as steeped in history as ours that faiths rub along together well. When holy men, men who should set an example, act like this it brings shame on them all. If they are unable to make the agreement that has been in place centuries work then perhaps we need a new agreement. I will not have violence in our capital by men of the cloth."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »

VANORA PREPARES FOR YOM KIPPUR

In the lead up to Yom Kippur tens of thousands of Jewish pilgrims have descended on Jerusalem to pray in the lead up to the religious festival. Scenes captured by one tourist showed an amazing scene of song being sung by a square packed full of worshippers. At one point local security forces had to restrict access to the square in order to avoid a crush. The Duke of Vanora, David Aragon was at the Wall and said "Its a tricky situation. Naturally I want everyone to come and worship, I want everyone to be able to feel close to their God but safety must be a top priority, both for the faithful and for the site. We must preserve places like this for the foreseeable future."

The Duke also suggested that in the coming weeks he may seek to have Vanora enter the Cultural Exchange Treaty Organisation. "We are home to some of Mundus most significant sites and as such we sometimes require help supporting them. CETO provides a framework for that and so perhaps the time has come for us to enter our sites of global importance to their register of sites. If places significant to the Cult of Helus can get on there then rest assured we can get the Wall and the Holy Sepulchre and the many many other sites on there."

PRESIDENT SAUZEE DEMANDS PARACAMBIAN TOURISTS SCREENED

A total of 103 citizens of Marseille were on the island of Castries when it was isolated by Paracambi. The island was lockdown for just over a week after Paracambi discovered a former biological and chemical warfare lab that may have seen samples leaked. The island is a popular tourist destination and while it is reported that no Marseilles citizens have been ill the President is taking no chances. Speaking at a press briefing President Sauzee stated, "We can not be too careful. The diseases that Paracambi have stated they found are killers and have been largely wiped out globally. We must ensure they do not find a foot hold here. As such we will be sending a military aircraft to pick these people up and upon their arrival they'll be screened to ensure they aren't carrying anything."

Scientists have stated it is a largely uneccessary precaution as by now any individual would have displayed signs of their illness. President Sauzee has also talked of ensuring that no one who has visited Castries in the last month be allowed into Marseilles for the next two months.

ALLIED STATES WANT STABILITY

Following over a week of tension between nations in the East of Ardia the Allied States  Praetor Julius Devaux has called for stability. "We've seen the Sinsu and SCIR issue see military action blight our continent. We've seen a kind of power struggle taking place between SANE and Rokkenjima over the region. Rokkenjima sending naval assets, SCIR refusing to take onboard resolutions of the Ardian Assembly. We've seen the East hammered time and again, be it the Rokkenjiman Patriotic Wars, the Toshikawan attempts at invasions followed by the Neuva Ardia genocide. I don't want another conflict on my doorstep."

The Praetor has ruled out joining any of the continental organisations stating, "We struggled to co-operate to even get a railway built. I am not trusting our continental neighbours to work together on anything. Until such a time Ardia can actually achieve something together such organisations are a waste of our and everyone elses time."

PRESIDENT KLEPAKHOV SURGERY SUCCESSFUL

President Klepakhov has returned to work following successful stomach surgery. The 67 year old President had been suffering for months with various stomach pains however the surgery has now been claimed to have rectified the situation. The President gave his fortnightly radio announcement on schedule where he thanked the people for their support. "I am proud to have had so many get well soon cards and messages of support. I have always known the people of our nation support each other in times of need and this has just reinforced the situation. I thank every single citizen for their thoughts and gifts."

The President is due to travel to Kaitaine in the coming days to watch a match between Arrakeen F.C and Dynamo Yeleshov for the Champions Trophy. In a recent interview the President said he was looking forward to having some vodka with close friend President McPherson however Klepakhov stated "Maybe a vodka is a bit of a stretch but I've a few days before I travel. We shall see how things go. Good company and good sport will make it a fantastic trip."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »

ELWES HONOURS FOREIGN "SIBLINGS"

The President of Zimalia, Binyamin Elwes has today given out two awards to non-Zimalian's, the first in his nations history. The Order of the Lion is an award granted to Zimalians who have been deemed to have made major contributions to life in Zimalia and those recognised were today honoured alongside native Zimalians such as Fairuza Kuto who became the first Zimalian in space. President Elwes made the announcement from the Presidential Estate saying. "Every year we give out awards honouring those among us who have worked to inspire the people, worked to better our lives or made great sacrifices. We today can not ignore the contributions of two key individials. Mr. Thanasis Polakis has worked tirelessly to help bring irrigation dams and hydroelectricity to our nation giving millions a chance to prosper and improve their lives beyond measure. The second is Miss Olivia Robertsson a women who is a regular visitor to our lands to save lives. I consider these people brother and sister to the people of Zimalia and hope that when next they are in Zimalia they will join me for a banquet in their honours and pick up their awards themselves. Our siblings from across the sea are just as much our family as my own children."

Mr. Thanasis Polakis has been responsible for pushing the construction of the The Haghighi Dam which is destined to transform the region while Olivia Robertsson has established a series of mobile health clinics that have made major impacts on the nations HIV/AIDS rate.

MAJOR FALCONRY FESTIVAL STARTS IN ABYDOS

Pharoah Enna Amenei of Abydos today opened what is believed to be Mundus largest festival dedicated to falconry. Falconry enthusiasts from across the world are taking part in the Abydos Falcons and Hunting Exhibition, which began its second edition in Ashmaremu on Friday .The exhibition, the biggest event of its kind in the Kingdom and Midaranye, features heritage and cultural events, including training workshops, lectures, educational seminars and children’s activities. A spokesman for the Royal Falcons Club said: “This year’s exhibition is marked by unique events, the variety of its sections and the quality of the accompanying activities.”

The exhibition highlights the conservation of falconry and related hobbies by providing an integrated platform attracting experts, exhibitors and hunting enthusiasts from around the world and the Pharoah hopes to protect a sport he loves. "The falcon and other birds of prey are beautiful creatures with a key part to play in our ecosystems. We've seen their decline in recent years as we have damaged their habitats. Now we have a chance through working alongside them to bring some species back from the brink. I look forward myself to learning more and becoming a better falconer."

NEUVA ARDIAN FARMERS ASSAULT MAYOR

A group of 11 farmers have been arrested for an attack on a local mayor. In the small town of Barrancas 47 year old Jorge Arias was elected mayor having promised to repair infrastructure damaged during the war with Toshikawa as well as providing communal farming equipment to help those in his border town get back on their feet. Once in office however it appears Mayor Arias reneged on his promise and following eight months of inactivity and protests eleven angry farmers forced their way into his office, beat him up and then dragged him through the streets tied to the back of one of their pickup trucks. Miraculously the mayor received only minor cuts and bruises as the group drove him through town for just under a mile before the rope broke.

The eleven farmers have been arrested and are charged with a variety of offences including some arising from police attempts to arrest them which saw two Policemen hospitalised. The violence against Mayor Arias is however not an isolated incident as rural communities across Neuva Ardia have struggled to rebuild following the Toshikawan invasion which saw the invaders pursue a policy of scorched earth. Some farmers have turned to growing drugs as cartels have offered more support than local administrators or central government.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »

FARMERS ARREST SPARKS RIOT

The Neuva Ardian city of Guagueyvo yesterday erupted into violence following the arrest of a group of farmers in the nearby town of Barrancas. Several days ago a group of farmers there brutally beat up Mayor Jorge Arias who had been accused of failing to follow through on election promises. The farmers were set to appear in court when the city saw a large group of protesters from Barrancas turn up along with various anti-corruption groups. The cities riot police were called and after around an hour of tense stand offs turned violent as the crowd tried to force its way through to the courthouse. Around 20 people were arrested while 10 police officers needed medical treatment for a range of injuries including burns from petrol bombs.

A member of the anti-corruption ground who wished to not reveal his name stated, "We have a number of corrupt officials in positions as mayor across the country. These positions are just a way of the rich using them to feather their own beds. These positions need to go or at least be reformed. We have been trying to get President Tero Melos to take a stance but he himself is now seeking re-election despite his term of office coming to an end. Protesters have called for a referendum to be held on whether to increase maximum terms to three from the current two. Riot Police have been a visible sight on the streets of the capital for over a week now as protesters have gathered close to the Presidential residence.

ALLIED STATES ARENA TO HOST MEDIEVAL MMA EVENT

The Allied States of Ardia has today announced that it is to use its famous Pula Arena as the backdrop for a major medieval MMA event. The arena dates back to the 3th Century BC but has been renovated several times over the year, most recently it has been used as a music venue during the summer months. The sport of Medieval MMA has been growing in popularity in recent years since its inclusion in the Mundus Games and has spread from its traditional heartland of East Moreland. The Pula Town council has confirmed that it will host a fight early in 2020 between "two leading female" fighters.

The arena is a smaller copy of the famous Colessium Major which stands in the nations capital of Cescedia which it is thought the nations will seek to gain recognition by CETO as being a site of international importance.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »

"PRINCESS CAN'T UNDERSTAND NATION" SAYS MELOS

Following reports that the daughter of the former King of Neuva Ardia, Claudio Penultimo had spoken of the recent unrest President Melos has spoken about the situation. "This supposed Princess can not ever understand the land she claims to be a Princess of. She grew up in Achkaerin, she is educated there and has spent next to no time in our nation. She speaks of our nation using terms like "we" and "Ourselves" yet she is an officer of the Achkaerin military. Our nation is rebuilding and we have done that largely by ourselves. Our people have determined the future of the Republic and turned our back on the royals, casting their opinions aside. Nothing is as corrupt as a monarchy like the Penultimo's ran. We are turning our backs on the mentaility that power is for the benefit of the holder, not the people. In the coming days I'll be asking the people of our nation to extend my term of office. I feel I have done a good job building us from the ashes and believe the people will trust me in the future."

The current law states that a President may only hold the position for four years and with Melos' term of office coming towards an end he is expected to ask for the constitution to allow seven year terms. This however will need a referendum of the population which everyone thinks the President will call in the coming days. Melos is rather popular in the cities however in the countryside he is less liked with many feeling he has failed to tackle some of the problems farmers in particular have faced.

ABYDOS INVITE TAMORAN MILITARY TO ADD TO MOSQUE GUARD

Following the recent visit to Abydos by Tamora's Alya Safavid the Head Imam of the Mosque in Mecca has invited Tamoran Muslims to join the Mosque Guard. Speaking following the visit where the Head Imam was part of the welcoming committee it was mentioned why this invitation was extended. "The Mosque is the most sacred site in the Muslim world. As such it should be the duty of any of the faithful to ensure its safety and that of those praying here. Tamora is a nation we share our faith with. As such it is right that as we seek to make those serving the faith safe we allow those across the world to protect them." It is expected in the coming days that a total of 10 Mosque Guards will be recruited. The individuals must be able to demonstrate that they have at least five years military experience and given "Honourable service" they must also demonstrate regular attendance to their own mosque and pass an examination on Islam.

The Head Imam also stated "This is a first step to allowing Muslims across Mundus to embrace the uniqueness of this Mosque. The Guards act not just as security but as guides, as teachers and as role models. If this goes well then we shall look to permit Muslims from other nations to serve in the Mosque Guards."

SAFRAEN AND VANORA SEND TROOPS TO BORDER

With the civil war in Clysperis escalating two neighbouring countries have sent extra troops to the border regions. Safraen yesterday sent an infantry regiment and several armoured units to their border while Vanora called up an Airborne Cavalry unit to patrol their 100km long border. The two nations have both however issued statements that this is a situation they both do not wish to get involved in.

Duke David Aragon of Vanora stated, "Our border is thankfully rather small. Our main role will be to ensure that no members of the rebels enter our nation. We shall robustly defend our territorial integrity and will protect our citizens." Meanwhile President Mikhael Dretsyj of Safraen has stated. "Our nation has been wracked by civil war and it is not a fate that we want anyone to go through. We do not however interfere in the workings of other nations, we had the Soviets try and do that to us and it ended badly for every citizen of Eastern Safraen. We shall do what we can to ensure the fighting or its participants stay their side of the border."

The two leaders have not ruled out working together to ensure their own borders do not become a safe haven for rebels and are said to have spoken on the phone to discuss the situation and share intelligence.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »

ANTI-MELOS GROUP TAKE TO STREETS

Thousands of protesters took to the streets of Lacuna today to protest about the impending referendum to extend President Melos' term of office. The government sent the riot police onto the streets with orders to ensure businesses around the city could continue as normal however soon the police and protestors began to clash around the Presidential Palace. The police were at time pelted with petrol bombs and had fireworks aimed at them. Reports of five police being injured and taken to hospital were confirmed later. In the meantime around 130 arrests were made while around 50 protesters were taken to hospital. One of those who protested against Melos getting more time in office was Luis Redondo, a 43 year old farmer from  Guagueyvo which has seen many farmers protest corruption. Mr.Redondo stated, "We have no choice other than to take to the streets. Melos is a man who has permitted and been involved in corruption across the nation. The cities get the funding, the cities have everything they need yet those of us tilling the land in the countryside struggle to feed our families. Melos must go."

One of the leading supporters of President Melos is Sergio Mascherana a 39 year old cafe owner in Lacuna. "I can't believe the chaos of today. We lost a lot of business and I think the Police should throw the book at these hooligans. Melos has helped heal our nation. He's given us a future when we were ripped apart by the genocide. If I had my say I'd give him another 10 years as President, its what he deserves."

The referendum is due to take place at the end of the month.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »

NEUVA ARDIAN CAPITAL ERUPTS IN RIOTS JUST DAYS BEFORE REFERENDUM

Riots spilled onto the streets of  Lacuna, Neuva Ardia today just 48 hours before a referendum that proposes to allow President Melos to remain in office for another term. Under the current constitution the President would need to stand down in the new year and would be unable to seek re-election for at least 4 years however in the past few months he has argued that him remaining in office is needed to ensure stability continues in the nation following efforts to rebuild following the genocide that took place. There has however been a number of accusations that Melos has allowed corruption, particularly in the rural areas of the nation, to run rampant and this has seen several local mayors attacked when accused of being part of the problem.

The streets today saw students clash with trade unions. The students seemed to support keeping the current rules regarding Presidential terms while the Trade Unions called for the public to vote to allow Melos to stay on. Faustino Asprillia, a leading member of the Industrial Workers Union (IWU), spoke saying, "The nation is always balanced on a knife edge between falling into economic ruin or just about keeping our heads above water. Melos is the only man who can walk this tightrope successfully. My members firmly believe that if we allow Melos to leave office then no one can replace him and we will face disaster." The IWU however have been accused of being in the employ of Melos and effectively have been used as a tool to help ensure he enjoys popular support. Meanwhile Jorge Buracagga of the National Union of Students was clear that he did not support Melos. "We have millions living in the countryside that have not benefitted from the investments made post genocide. It is factories and manufacturing co-operatives that have recieved all the funding. We therefore shouldn't be amazed that the IWU are supporting Melos. They fear that the money that is subsidising their organisation will be transfered to the countryside if Melos is booted out. They should realise that the farmers are vital for our nation. We can't afford to be importing food from the rest of Ardia because of our currency being weak. Thus the more we grow ourselves the cheaper it will be and the IWU will find more food upon their table. It would be win win."

The two groups began the day protesting peacefully however soon Police were unable to prevent clashes and tear gas was deployed along with rubber bullets. Several pro Melos groups were seen parading his image through the streets, some of which were pelted with stones by the students who had occupied some office buildings close to the city centre. In total the police arrested 128 people, one police officer was seriously injured and needed to be airlifted to hospital. President Melos has called for calm saying. "The beauty of our nation is we are now a democracy. We may have the self proclaimed "Princess" Maki Hamer trying to interfere in our politics but the people rejected the ridiculous notion of our leaders being in power simply because of which womb they occupied. The people will go to the polls to determine their own future and I shall respect that decision, as should all our citizens and the international community." The latest polls suggest voting should be close with most independent polls suggesting a 52/48 split in favour of Melos extending his reign as President.

GULF OF SAFRAEN BECOMING "CAR PARK" WORRIES PRESIDENT

With the arrival of fleets from many nations including Achkaerin and Dragovah in the Gulf of Safraen President Dretsyj has spoke of his concern that the Gulf is turning into what he described as a car park. "We have now seen over 20 ships foreign to the Gulf appear to enforce whatever it is they are seeing fit to. My fear is so many ships in a waterway shared by three large nations is going to impact trade. How will ourselves and Vanora be compensated for the delays in our shipping or if people choose to leave the area altogether. These nations seem to assume that ourselves and Vanora don't patrol this region at all and are incapable of keeping the place safe. 20 ships to police a no fly zone is insane especially if they are working with the government of Clysperis. I urge the Pharoah once this madness in her nation is over to ensure that the Gulf returns to the peaceful, and rather quieter waterway that it was."

President Dretsyj sentiments were shared by Duke David Aragon of Vanora. "We get many tourists coming to our land via boat on cruises. Now rather than having a pleasant journey through the beautiful Gulf we now have a mass of warships and combat aircraft for them to pass through. This is not a great start to a visit to the Holy Land. Add to that the fact commercial traffic now faces a mass of ships usually not in the area, as well as the threat that these forces become a permanent addition to the region we are hopeful of hearing assurances they are going home as soon as possible."

Both Safraen and Vanora have reinforced their borders in recent days as the Clysperis civil war continues. It is understood both have opened refugee camps just inside their border but have taken steps to prevent refugees progressing further into their nations.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »

MELOS WINS REFERENDUM. OPPONENTS DEMAND RE-RUN

This weekend the nation of Neuva Ardia went to the ballot boxes to determine whether incumbent President Tero Melos can remain in office for a further term. When polls closed the President had received 56% of the vote however immediately there were calls, particularly from the National Students Union and the National Alliance of Farmers, for the referendum to be run again. Their case stems from the fact that there have been reports of students being denied the chance to vote and farmers in rural areas saying polling stations ran out of ballot papers. These are claims disputed by the National Electoral Agency which ran the referendum and is supposedly politically neutral. Social media began circulating stories of some students who had turned up to vote at their local polling station only to be told they had no record of having registered to vote. One such student was 19 year old Maria Ozaballa who is studying at Lacuna Science and Technology Institute. "I arrived at 8 am to vote as I made my way to class and was told that they had no record of me registering to vote. I then found out from my mother that my name had been added to the register in their town, two hours away from Lacuna. I was lucky enough to be going home for a few days and so went home early and voted just before the polling station closed." Several others students have told similar stories however not all were able to vote.

Meanwhile Hector Ramirez Sanchez, a farmer in the Castilus District in Eastern Neuva Ardia said he arrived at the polling station in his area after work at around 7pm. He found that the people inside were already tidying up, two hours before the supposed deadline to vote. "The two ladies manning the desk had placed everything in boxes ready to go. They said they had ran out of ballot papers at around 6:30pm and so were tidying up ready. They phoned the capital to see if they could get more papers but they were told the next ones would take until 9:30pm to arrive and so there was no point. I spoke to about twenty other people who had the same issue and then we found out four or five other districts had the same problem."

While Melos' supporters celebrated the victory in the capital the President addressed his supporters. "Today we have seen two things. The first is that the majority of our nation support the measures our government have been taking to rebuild the nation. The second is that while our nations new constitution was designed to ensure we had no long standing leader like we had with the monarchy, they also recognise the need to ensure our nation can keep stability. I look forward to the challenge of contuning our ressurection as a nation over the next 4 years or so." When asked about the anomalies Melos said, "The National Election Agency is made up of people from all sides of the political spectrum, none of them have claimed the referendum was unfair. Sadly it appears some students have misread the registration document, perhaps then one impact my plan to increase education budgets will be an increase in adult literacy. Additionally it is no surprise that the farmers who have been violently taking to the streets now seek to continue derailing our nation. They now need to return to the fields."

SAFRAEN PRESIDENT BEMOANS "BUILD UP"

President Mikhael Dretsyj of Safraen has today spoken of how the foreign military build up in the Gulf of Safraen has already begun to impact his nation. "We have around 20 surface vessels from across Mundus, followed by lord only knows how many submarines sat in the Gulf. Add to that we have a literally cloud of fighter jets whizzing back and forth and this alliance has become a nuisance to our nation. We now have air traffic having to thread its way though various patterns of fast moving aircraft in unpredicatable patterns. Our maritime fleet trying to trade with the world has put some vessels off making stops here. I don't understand what is going off. There is no need for such an unprecidented build up. The civil war is taking place on land yet the bay is stuffed full of assets. It is as though the people of Safraen are now being punished for the instability next door." The President went on to issue a call that Achkaerin, the NQF and Dragovah give public assurances that they will leave the area and by when. "Nations like ours rely heavily on the use of our ports to keep our economy ticking over. While I am certain we can trust that Achkaerin will leave when asked, after all they did so when they came here when the virus decimated our nation and then the Soviet's occupied us. The NQF and Dragovah however are unknown entities to us."

His words were echoed by Duke David Aragon of Vanora who stated. "This time of year we had hundreds of cruise vessels coming into the Gulf bringing pilgrims to celebrate Christmas. We've already seen cancellations are travel companies wish to avoid the area because of the military build up. Additionally with a no-fly zone being enforced it naturally makes air passengers more concerned. Numbers are down since these foreign powers arrived. This is a pointless and unneccessary build up concerning the type of conflict that is going on in Clysperis. Normally our own coastal radar stations have to track only a few hundred objects at any one time. Now we've all this assorted hardware sat there sending out their own electronic soup making our job defending our own borders even more difficult. Smuggling was never an issue in the Gulf of Safraen before these nations turned up. These nations should compensate Safraen and ourselves for the disruption to our nations."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »

NEW POPE NAMED. CALLS FOR ACTION

Following the resignation of the former Pope following his diagnosis of a degenerative illness his successor has been named. Vanoran born Peter Rosenblaum has been selected and will take the official name of Pope John Francis I. The 72 year old was appointed a Cardinal in 2004 and prior to that had been the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, essentially making him the leader of the Catholic faith in Vanora as well as having some of the responsibility for overseeing the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Pope John Francis I took to the steps of the Papal palace to greet a large crowd of gathered pilgrims, many of whom had come to pray for the health of the former Pope as well as pay their respects in the run up to Christmas. The new Pope has a reputation for being outspoken and is a respected author of various texts discussing the Bible and its role in today's society.

The key points of his speech were to call for Christians across the world to begin taking action on a number of matters. "For the past few years the Christian faith as a unit has not been the shining light that we should be for the world. We have been content to be bystanders and have failed at times to show the compassion and love that our Church was built upon. In the most recent times we have projects such as the Mundus Goodwill Bank be funded by faiths other than ours and supported great causes. We have oppurtunities to show the true side of Christianity to the wider world. Zimalia is a nation calling out for help and support, we have seen the Manist faith of Zimalia achieve great things in that nation but it is us who should have been helping them. When bad things have happened we have stood by and silently prayed. In the coming Christmas time and New Year I ask for all Christians to become people of action as well as people of prayer. One of the first calls to action is that as a faith we must stand up for the persecuted. As such I am asking you all to follow an example set by Tytor. They have seen Christians persecuted in Nya Aland and have taken action to try and persuade that government to ease its stance against people of all faiths. As such we must support our Tytorian brothers and sisters in their action which will benefit people of all faiths. As such we must boycott Alander goods and show them that nations whom persecute any faith will find Christians uniting to protect the innocent.

We must also tackle climate change. Not just in words but again in our actions. We must see the world for what it truly is, the most beautiful of God's creations. We must tend to the world and ensure we do not waste what the Almighty has given us. We must each take a look inside ourselves and find ways we can do our own part within our own capabilities. It is my hope that we can ensure the children of tomorrow not only inherit a world in which their souls are nourished but in which they have a future safe from the dangers of extreme weather, rising sea levels and other climate change caused phenomenum. I hope you will pray with me that the Lord gives us strength to add action to our thoughts and words for the Glory of God."

NEUVA ARDIAN FARMERS SET TO STRIKE

Following the heavily disputed referendum in Neuva Ardia that permitted incumbent President, Tero Melos, to remain in office the National Alliance of Farmers have announced a series of actions that will take place in the coming weeks. The NAF believe that as farmers had been among the most vocal of opponents to Melos staying in office  that they were denied a vote in the referendum as it appears many polling stations ran out of ballot papers. The NAF President is Hector Ramirez Sanchez who announced the actions saying, "We have been denied democracy, we have been denied our legal voice and yet the President wonders why we took to the streets with anger in our hearts. Now we will deny things to Melos, just as he denied things to us. From this point onwards no farmer will sell their produce to anyone other than private individuals. Corporations from the cities buying our produce to sell at huge mark ups in their stores will find our gates closed to them. Second we will deny the President use of our roads, for the next week our vehicles will ensure traffic across this land is ground to a halt. Lastly our friends in the National Fishing Council (NFC) will be blocking the ports. Without us working in the fields or fishing the seas this land shall grind to a halt, just as our hopes of seeing our beloved regions flourish have been ground down."

President Melos responded to the calls stating. "This is an insane threat. Farmers will lose money as crops rot in the field and then they will demand welfare from the government that has tried to help their homelands economy grow. If they block the roads we shall keep them open and our ports will remain open to all ships wishing to use them. Everyone in our nation have had a say in the future and I am deeply, deeply honoured to be trusted to lead Neuva Ardia to a brighter future, however to get there we should all be working together not seeing one of the most critical parts of our economy going rouge. I urge Mr.Sanchez to call of his unions action and work with us to make our nation strong again."

TOSHIKAWAN ELDERLY "FORGOTTEN"

A recent report suggests that as many as 1 in 3 Toshikawans over the age of 60 are living in poverty with no support from their family. Following the financial crisis that followed the Toshikawan/Neuva Ardia conflict government support for the elderly has been cut along with other crucial public services. One of those finding it difficult to make ends meet is 78 year old Goro Shimizu who is reduced to living in an illegally possesed property. Mr.Shimizu and 6 other elderly gentleman broke into a disused commercial property three months ago and have been living there ever since, each in their own room which doubles as their bedroom, living room and kitchen. He shows us his bed which is nothing more than an old thin mattress wrapped in rags with an old rug for a blanket. He has acquired a few luxuries such as a TV and radio which he utilised his old skills as an electrical engineer to repair. He tells us he has made some money repairing electronics but not enough to make a living since national pensions have been cut. "Following the end of the war and debts needing to be paid we have seen our pensions cut, hospitals cut, care homes closed. My son died fighting the evil of Neuva Ardia and soon after his wife became ill and died. I haven't seen my 10 year old grandson since he was taken into care. I have been alone with only those in a similar situation as me to call family." Mr.Shimizu was a former Army Sergeant in his youth and turned towards veterans groups to help him, one of which brings him regular food parcels. "Every man has served the Shogunate and so when times became hard for the old we turned to the Veterans groups for help, but there were too many of us for them to cope with. They looked after those in most need and I suppose I must be fortunate that I am still relatively strong enough to live here, but I know soon I will become weaker and then I have no future." The suicide rate among those over the age of 70 has increased in the last two years and one of Mr.Shimizu's fellow squatters prized possession is his old Samurai sword which looks expensive but as he explains. "It means more to me than any money can buy. I'd use it to commit sepekku before I sold it." His words are greeted with nods by his friends.

The government have said they are aware of the problem and would normally have taken action against the squatters but have instead said. "These men are respectful, they are not damaging the property which would be empty even if they were not there. It is better to have these honourable gentleman there keeping out young delinquents than board the place up. Perhaps the property owners should pay the men for keeping their property safe. We naturally will look to support Mr. Shimizu and those like him, but we have limited resources because of the debt forced upon us for our military actions to secure our lands. I see no East Moreland debt to people in Marseille, I see no Seleucid debt being paid to the Iwi nor to Cultists. Why are we singled out?  It is because of bad deals done by weak leaders. The nation must band together to bring strength back to our lands and then in turn to Mr. Shimizu. As a warrior he knows sacrifices must be made, once they have and we have achieved our goals I pray Mr. Shimizu can have the care a brave man such as him deserves."

With winter coming Mr.Shimizu doesn't know if he will survive the winter. "We've already woken up in the night to find ice on the inside of windows that we tried covering with cardboard boxes. It didn't work and one of my friends had frost bite. The weather will get worse and it may take us before starvation or disease."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »

POPE CHRISTMAS SPEECH SPECIAL

As we move towards the most significant day of the year it is important that we take time to reflect on the world we live in today. If Jesus was to return to us in 2019 what would he have made of the world he found? In some ways I like to think he would be proud of the work his Church has done. Throughout the last 2000 or so years we have seen Christianity help allievate suffering around the world, we have seen follows of Christ stand up for the principles of love, charity of kindness that he taught. Sadly though I think he would still see that his message has not spread to all. As I stand here speaking to my brothers and sisters in Christ we have had news of the death of Prince Isaac, a Prince of both Revena and Achkaerin, a young man in the prime of life, a loving husband, a loving father. A man cut down at the hands of what we believe is a terrorist attack. While this man does not share our faith I would ask that we offer a prayer for him as we look to celebrate the birth of Christ. Violence is not the answer to any question and it brings only tears and sadness to those who feel it. Christ would find Isaac's death not the only acts of violence, we see Clyserpis plunged into war and I ask us all to pray for peace between neighbors and that those in power find the wisdom to mend their differences through words not war. While those of us here today in this square a free to wear our crosses, to proudly proclaim our love of Christ together and publically that is not the case for all our fellow Christians. Those residing in Fluer, Nya Aland and several other nations must be Christians in their hearts while publically wear a mask. I ask that we pray for those forced to hide their faith from the world so that they may feel our love sent across the globe reminding them that they are not alone, that they are part of a larger family and that we care for them. While the nation of Tytor does this on a national level we too can do this on an individual level. There are Christian organisations in Nya Aland that run schools, run youth clubs and various other activities. Find them online, send them your messages of peace and love, those of you who are able consider supporting them by voulenteering, do whatever you believe is in your power to help those of our faith feel the support they deserve. To those of our faith in Neo Nyx who have had their mass handed over to Rabbi's and religious leaders of other faiths I urge you to not concern yourself with missing a mass,a person need not be in a Church building to pray for the Lord Almighty's love for us and ours for him can be found throughout His creation. I pray that you will allow the Shepherd's teachings to guide you in the ways of the faith and if need be we shall send you priests to ensure you masses are meet and your spiritual nourishment provided.

As we move forward what could we do to make sure that we as a Church do our bit to make the world a better place for 2020? The answer is to do what we can to make our everyday life one that we would be proud to tell our Lord Jesus Christ of if we were to sit down with him for a coffee. We should all aim to do something to make our community better, be that giving our time to help the homeless, supporting good causes such as organisations like the Joint Emergency Team. You could offer one item a week to a local food bank, or if you are better off maybe ten items. Each of us is capable of doing something to spread love, be it the small child simply remembering to thank their teacher for the gift of knowledge or the teenager leaving their phone alone for just an hour and doing some charity work. We have seen the environmental lobby around the world use the mantra "Think Global, Act Local" If we are to see the Catholic Church return to the glorious organisation it once was we must adopt the same thing. Each of us must be an active participant in our local spiritual community, offer to do a reading in your church, help sweep the Church Hall, form a prayer circle, help educate those new to our faith. All these things will help our faith grow in a way that speeches by an old man from a balcony can not. You are the ones who hold the future of our faith in your hands, you are the ones who can take the Almighty's message and spread it from your hearts to your community and as each of us travel through this life we will take with us the words of the bible, the lessons of our Lord Jesus Christ and like a wildfire it can spread across the world to light the world with love.

I ask finally that we pray for each and every person around the world to know four things. Love, safety, long life and happiness. I wish each and everyone of you a joyous Christmas and a Happy New Year."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »

FARMERS STRIKE BEGINS

In Neuva Ardia the threatened farmers strike has begun. Around 80,000 farmers from across the nation are confirmed as having begun blocking roads and halting sales to major suppliers. Many of the large supermarkets have already begun stockpiling in preparation for the proposed strike and have begun limiting sales of certain items to customers in order to prevent panic buying. This has lead to scenes at some major supermarkets of customers arguing and even fighting with staff. The strike has been motivated by the recent referendum over the future of the Presidency. The recent referendum permitted incumbent President Tero Melos to remain in office past the previously agreed term lengths. This referendum however was not without controversy as many believe election fraud took place. There are reports of rural areas running out of ballot papers and in some cases people being registered to vote in the wrong district.

The leader of the farmers union, Hector Ramirez Sanchez, has said "The strikes are vital as democracy that we were promised was not delivered. Thousands of voices were not given a chance to be heard and the government are the ones to blame. We must re-run the referendum and do so in a way that every single one of us can be confident that it is 100% fair. Until such a time the lifeblood of Neuva Ardia will be slowed as much as we can." The President has not commented on the strikes only to say, "Measures are being taken to ensure a food crisis does not happen."

TOSHIKAWA TO STOP PAYMENTS TO NEUVA ARDIA

Following reports of widespread social issues in Toshikawa the government have blamed the compensation payments to Neuva Ardia as the cause. As a result the government today after approval by the Shogun, have announced they will halt payments with immediate effect. "Our nation must comes first" said Prime Minister Shiro Ishihaka. "We have hundreds of thousands of people struggling to make ends meet and living in abandoned buildings. As such we need to make sure that they are looked after and with our nation struggling financially cuts must be made." It is estimated that a total of around 30,000 Neuva Ardians are receiving monthly compensation following the genocide and the legal status of these payments is now in question. ]

Prime Minister Ishihaka has also announced a range of other measures following consultation with the Shogun. The government will be forming a National Work Corps in order to undertake nationwide infrastructure projects such as tree planting, constructing things such as wind turbines and dredging rivers. The idea is to still allow people to undertake national service but to cut costs as this new National Work Corps will not see military service which costs a lot to run. Additionally the government has also introduced a new lower rate of sales tax reducing it from 12% to 9.5% in a hope of permitting people to have more disposable income. Finally the government are introducing a new tax on houses with empty bedrooms. "We have many homeless in need of accommodation. As a result we will encourage people to offer out their spare rooms and avoid paying this tax."

The measures begin on January 1st and are likely to see some response from Neuva Ardia in the coming days.

VANORA SEE'S DECREASE IN CHRISTMAS PILGRIMS

Usually over the Christmas period Bethlehem in Vanora see's an influx of pilgrims bringing a welcome boost to the local economy. This year however the numbers have been significantly lower than previous years. In 2016 a record number of 1.5 million people visited over the Christmas period however this year the figure is down to 900,000. The mayor of Bethlehem is John Aaronson, "The city is rather unique as it is one of the few cities in Vanora where Judaism is not the main faith. As a result the town has built an industry based largely on Christian pilgrims and the hotels, hostels, cafes and other businesses are set up to cater to the huge number of foreign guests. I see the way in which our economy has benefited and in turn the fact that the town is doing well means we are better able to take care of the important sites in the town. This year however we will see millions of dollars less in our economy."

The main reason for such a decline in numbers has been placed at the conflict in Clysperis. "We have a large number of foreign nations imposing a no fly zone" explains Mayor Aaronson, in addition a plethora of foreign vessels are bobbing around in the Gulf of Safraen making the ports of Vanora which are usually flooded with cruise ships empty. I am no military expert but the reports I have read indicate that this approach is essentially taking a baseball bat to kill a fly." The government are looking now at ways of ensuring funds usually provided locally to care for historically significant religious sites is found as they are important to the nations extensive tourist industry.

ABYDOS TO FUND SAFETY MEASURES FOR HAJJ

Pharoah Enna Amenei of Abydos has today announced that a series of new safety measures are going to be introduced for the religious pilgrimage called Hajj. The annual Islamic pilgrimage see's millions visit the city of Mecca and worship at the mosque containing the Kaaba as well as visiting other significant historic religious sites across the nation. Sadly every year on the pilgrimage a number of people die from heat related injuries as well as in crushes during parts of the ceremonial aspects of the pilgrimage. The new measures include a type of roof which can be closed over part of the courtyard that contains the Kaaba, electric moving walkways in the Sa'i section of the rites. This move has angered some people who believe that the new changes are fundementally changing the mosque which is viewed by many as being the most significant religious site in Islam. The Pharoah however defended the measures saying, "The Hajj is an act of love and as custodian of the Mosque it is my duty to make sure that as many people as possible can access the site. The old and infirm must be supported in this act and whether that is being an individual who helps an elderly relative through the ceremonies or whether it is myself making the dangers less it does not matter. The Mosque will forever be the home of Allah and as such as long as the ceremonies are permitted the design of the home is less significant."

Others have however commented, "Hajj is not meant to be easy. It is an act that shows our dedication to Allah, our commitment to his ways, his laws and his words. You are considered to have been martyred and cleansed of sin if you die on Hajj. It is stated, “Whoever goes out for Hajj pilgrimage and dies, then the reward of Hajj will be written for him until the Day of Resurrection.” Therefore we accept with a willing heart the challenges and dangers the pilgrimage can bring. To allow people to be transported by moving electric roadways is not a challenge and as such should not be done." The work is due to begin this week and is due to be completed in three months allowing them to be used in the 2020 Hajj.

UNIQUE FIND IN MARSEILLE

A team of archaeologists working on a former royal palace in Marseille have made a major discovery. Over the last three weeks students from the University of Montaulon have been working to uncover a newly discovered basement structure at a site thought to have been a 15th Century Royal Palace. The site known as the Palace of Le Vigeant was largely abandoned in around the year 1625 and much of its structure dismantled to build local towns. In the newly discovered structure a vast array of old clay wine pots were discovered each of them containing at least 39 itres of wine. The leader of the project is Dr.Max Bouchard who said, "The pots are sealed with wax and it is our belief the contents of the clay pots are still preserved and as a result we need to think of how we can explore the contents without destroying things. It is my hope that in the coming days we can work to ensure this." When asked whether this wine would be safe to drink the Professor stated "Micro-biologically it is probably not spoiled, but it would not bring joy to the palate. We are also not sure whether or not it could stand the shock to the air so we won't be having a wine party."

There are talks of the wine pots being auctioned off in limited numbers in order to raise funds for the restoration of historical sites in Marseilles. "We think we should be able to move these in the next few months. Some will be taken for analysis and investigation to help us learn about our past, however we probably do not need the vast number of them we have discovered. I suspect there will be museums, collectors and institutes around the world who will be interested in seeing what we have found."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »

NEUVA ARDIAN FISHERMAN BEGIN BLOCKING PORTS

Following the National Alliance of Farmers (NAF) beginning action to halt food production and road access the National Fishing Council (NFC) have today joined their actions by closing down several of the major ports in Neuva Ardia. Flotillas of Fishing boats anchored themselves across the mouths of the ports and refused to allow entrance or exit to various cargo ships. One ship that was denied exit from the harbour in Taragoza was a East Moreland ship loaded with exotic fruits. The captain of the ship, Harry Ramsey said "We cast off ready to head home and found three or four fishing boats essentially parked across the deep channel of the ports entrance, as a result we had a choice, return to our berth or risk the shallow channel. So now we're sat on the quayside waiting for the problem to get sorted." Several other ships were also stopped leaving while a group of ships now wait to gain access. The Navy moved in to try and break up the blockade but the fishing ships captains refused to move and threatened to scuttle their ships in the entrance if the Navy boarded them.

The strike has now been going on two days and while farmers have stopped supplying major supermarkets they have still permitted small stores to buy produce. Hector Ramirez Sanchez is leading the NAF and said, "The major companies are the ones corrupt and propping up Melos. They pay kickbacks to the man and his cronies. We do not wish our people to starve so will continue to supply the local convienence stores and even individuals. I've actually enjoyed the last few days, I've had people who live just a few miles away drive to my farm, buy bags of vegetables fresh from the fields, buy eggs that they can meet the chickens who laid them. This is now real food being eaten by people who know what is in it. As well as fighting for democracy we may also have started better relationships between people and food."

One supermarket manager claims however that in the next 24 hours he will be forced to close the store. "We've had fights over the last onion, our shelves are emptying and even the products we see move slowly are whizzing off the shelf. People are nervous and we can't help them anymore, once everything is gone then I'll be forced to close up."

President Melos has now called up members of the Army and has them patrolling the streets of the cities to ensure looting or theft from stores doesn't take place. "Soon the public will turn against the farmers and fisherman." Melos explains, "Then they can't say they support the nations people, then they will be forced to accept what everyone knows and that is for our nation to grow we must move forward together as one people accepting the results of the referendum. Now is a time for the nation to heal as one."

VANORA TO HOST FIRST PAPAL OVERSEAS TRIP

The Vatican today announced that Pope John Francis' first overseas visit in his role as Pope will be a homecoming as he returns to Vanora. The Pope will spend three days in his homeland visiting Holy Sites, taking a mass and meeting with different Catholic groups based in the nation. It is expected that as well as visiting the Church of the Holy Sepulchre he will take a tour to Bethlehem. The Pope's Press Secretary also announced that while he is in Vanora he will meet with local religious figures from the Islamic and Jewish faiths as well as other Christian sects. "The nation of Vanora is a crossroads of different religions who share some common heritage. Jerusalem is an important city for us all and is a city that needs at times co-operation to make it a safer and more harmonious environment for the many visitors who go there each day."

The Pope is said to be excited about returning home saying, "I may only have been away a few weeks but I know my time in my homeland will become less and less as I dedicate my life to the Vatican. Without the support and love of my friends and family back home I would never be able to take on this job so I wake up every morning to work to thank them for their love, support and encouragement." The Pope will also meet the Duke of Vanora during his visit for an official banquet.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »

MELOS SPEAKS AGAINST INTERNATIONAL INTERFERENCE

The nation of Nueva Ardia has over the last few days become a focus for various international relations commentators. With the nation having had what some consider a controversial referendum on the future of the Presidency. Currently farmers and fisherman across the nation are blockading ports, blocking roads and stopping supplies of food from travelling to major retailers. This has most recently come to a head when Rokkenjima began sending a fleet to the area following Quintellia offering to send supplies of food having given public support to President Melos of Neuva Ardia.

The President today has come out and spoken on the situation.

"We are again seeing gunboat diplomacy of the highest order. Rokkenjima fell they have a right to tell nations that they believe in the right of all Peoples to exercise their self-determination, well the people of Neuva Ardia have expressed their right, now Rokkenjima don't respect it. Empress Beatrice says the election was  "surrounded by irregularities and alleged fraud" but only by those who even opposed the conduct of a referendum. It is hard to believe Beatrice is lending her support for people who, sensing support for my Presidency, determined giving people an actual vote on it should never take place. Had this group of farmers and fisherman had their way their wouldn't have even been a referendum, now they have lost  but will not accept the result. I find it interesting that I am being lectured on the need to have the will of the people respected from an Empress of an absolute monarchy. Let us look at the will of the Rokkenjiman people for a moment, they live in a nation where it is widely understood that authority within Rokkenjima lies in the hands of the Empress, her Viceregent who is currently not even a Rokkenjiman and is unelected, and her council. Yes her decisions are influenced by the "choir" of her subjects yet when this choir goes against her she opposes them. Look at the sale of the Ruby Class submarine, the Diet approve the sale, the democractically elected voice of the Rokkenjiman people approve the sale yet then the Empress rules it out. Does this mean that perhaps the people of Rokkenjima do not support the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency? We do not know as no one has asked them their will. Let us further examine Rokkenjima a place that where the people's elected voice, the Prime Minister, is granted the power to appoint the governments ministers it is understood that the ultimate authority lies with the Empress and the COuncil which explains the reason she can veto her own Diet. The track record of the Rokkenjima in supporting the will of the people is also a cruel joke. She sends congratulations to Kadassa in Lakhzovia on his election victory, this is despite hundreds of thousands of Lakhzovian's, largely belonging to the groups who opposed Kadassa being effectively exiled across Mundus. East Moreland has called on several occasions for Lakhzovia to work with them to repatriate the refugees, no work has been done on that. How can you talk about fair and legitimate votes when a nation purposely keeps its potential opponents out the nation. Yes I knew farmers and fisherman did not support me, but they voted, their voice was heard. I have not attacked them nor sought to silence them, can the same be said from Lakhzovia? Look also that she is funding the Soviet government in Kaitaine. A nation in the midst of an actual civil war which have banned all political parties other than the Communist party. They are putting weapons into the hands of people who are actually killing those who speak out in support of an alternative form of government within Kaitaine. We now see them bringing a carrier and its accompanying fleet too. We will therefore be deploying further maritime patrols in the region of the seas south of our nation. Our fleet will take to sea and should Rokkenjima's fleet seem to do more than just sit in the area we will see it as a threat to the people of Neuva Ardia's democratic will."

OOC- Sorry forgot to include part about Nyx- This has been added in

"We also have the govenment of Nyx criticising our National Election Agency saying "How can we trust this single source of information?" Yet the government of Nyx are doing exactly that. They are listening to the farmers and the fisherman. These are people who used violence to actively try and prevent the referendum from ever taking place. People who wished to deny the will of the people in the first place now seek to derail it. Why should we trust them? They go on to critcise the international community for being silent, it is interesting that nations now take an interest in our nation, where were these people when the Toskikawans were slaughtering our people. Nations like Nyx then didn't speak out about sponsoring the will of the people when our children were being raped and murdered. They speak of re-doing the referendum with them as some kind of impartial witness. They have no right to even think they can get involved in democracy with our nation. This is a nation that actively does not believe the voices of all people are equal. It has some system where the votes of it's assembly are weighted, meaning a Governor of the Siross only has 0.2 of a vote while a Governor of the Black Crypt is worth 0.9 of a vote. How can a nation where each person's voice is not equal lecture us on fairness. The people of Neuva Ardia have voted, as we are a true democracy they will vote again in 2021 and should their voice have changed they can express it, such is the way of a true democracy.

Melos went on to talk about the support from Quintellia. "Our nation is thankful for their offer of support. We have plenty of food within the nation, just lacking the manpower now to get it out of the field. The farmers owe it to themselves to not let their crops rot in the field. That helps no one. We have our differences but I have been given the power to take us forward and I can assure the Farmers and Fisherman that they will not be forgotten. We invite the Navy of Quintellia to work with us to ensure the security of our shared ocean against the intimidation of Northern threats."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:42:09 AM by DaveIronside »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 10:54:14 PM »

MELOS SAYS "ARMY OPEN ROADS ON SATURDAY"

Under fire President Melos of Neuva Ardia has today given an ultimatum to the members of Farming and Fishing unions who have effectively blocked ports and road links across the nation. In a speech given on national TV he said. "We have seen nations of the world try and tell us we are enemies of democracy and that the only way we can be seen as legitimate is saying our democracy is unfair, flawed or corrupt, all interpretations of which are lies. We have allowed those who believe in a alternative path forward to have their voice heard however they are outnumbered and as such must accept the result of the majority. As such I will allow peaceful protests to continue until the weekend at which point we can safely say those who do not share the majority view have had their voice heard, it is then unfair to continue holding the nation to ransom. Therefore at 10am on Saturday I will be issuing orders for the army to open the roads. People need to get back to their normal lives and jobs regardless of what goes on between now and Saturday the army open roads on Saturday."

Having heard the announcement members of the farming and fishing unions have announced that they intend to continue their protests until their members "declare that the time has come to end our action. That is only likely to come with the resignation of Melos, a new election or a rerun of the referendum." So far Melos has declared none of these will be taking place.

MARSEILLE WINE MAYBE OLDEST "DRINKABLE" WINE IN EXISTANCE

The discovery in Marseille of a huge number of clay pots containing wine may be the oldest "drinkable" wine in existence. Teams of archaelogists have been carefully taking the pots to Lamouch University for study and while aiming to preserve the majority of them the handful that have been opened have begun to be tested. While initially it was thought that the pots may have been from the 16th Century it seems the initial dating based on surrounding artefacts however it appears the pots may have been kept for much longer by those who used the Palace of Le Vigeant. Professor Oliver Touremans of Lamouch University stated, "We have drilled into some of the pots and ran a variety of dating tests upon them. It seems that the wine actually comes from somewhere between the 6th and 8th Century. The wine is still in a state where it is drinkable and  if these dates are accurate it is probably the oldest drinkable wine in existance." While Professor Touremans states that the wine is drinkable he says it probably wouldn't be a good idea. "We've not tasted it ourselves yet and we don't plan to. The stuff has a rather weird smell and gives the impression of being rather vinegary. I imagine that if you drank it the taste would be horrific and probably wouldn't do the stomach any favours."

The University has been given permission to sell 10 of the Clay pots, each of which contain  39 litres of wine. The money will be reinvested into projects to examine the Le Vigeant Palace further and restore it. Dr.Max Bouchard is overseeing the activities at the site and said, "The Palace has been used as a site for centuries and as a result we've a lot of work to do here before we fully understand it. The change in date for these pots suggests it was used as a high status site for much longer than we had thought. The money raised by selling these pots at auction will allow us to perhaps carry on the work for many more years."

MIRANDOLA VOLCANO BEGINS SMOKING

The Mirandola volcano in the Allied States of Ardia has begun smoking. The volcano which sits on the edge of the Rokkenjiman Sea has been inactive for around 300 years after destroying a small village in its eastern flank called Cividale. The eruption was thought to have killed around 100 people and destroyed a significant amount of vineyards. The village was never rebuilt but the area has become a slight tourist attraction for people hiking over the last century. The volcano is being monitored by staff of the nations largest University and they believe "an eruption could happen but the location of the volcano means very few people will be effected as it is rather rural in its location. The biggest threat is from the ash cloud that it is producing. We estimate that potentially a large plume could form and reach high into the atmosphere. Should this happen it is likely to disrupt air traffic into and out of the Allied States, and depending on wind direction could reach as far away as Marseille, Tytor, The Iwi, Nyx, western Ui Cenneslaig and Quintelia could potentially be impacted. The Allied States Air Traffic Control Agency have already said "The cloud at the moment is reaching a height of around 1km, this is a problem but is not grounding aviation assets at the moment. We have been warned the cloud could potentially reach about 10km in height and if so the drift on the wind is likely to cause problems across Ardia and even potentially western Albion."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »

MILITARY POLICE REOPEN ROADS

In a series of operations across the nation the military of Neuva Ardia, spearheaded by their military police, have begun reopening roads. The first arrests began at 7am in the capital of Lacuna as around 200 protestors were given 15 minutes to remove barricades across major roads before the army moved in and using tear gas and batons cleared the barricades before military engineering units began removing the obsticles farmers had set up. In total around 300 arrests were made in the capital. Several other cities saw similar scenes where local police were also brought in to support the operation. In total around 2,800 people have been arrested across the nation, there have been reports of around 10 deaths and around 50 people hospitalised. 2 members of the Military Police have been killed following an incident in Castilus District in Eastern Neuva Ardia where a tractor crashed into a police vehicle and overturned it.

Members of the Marines and coastguard also re-opened the nations ports by boarding fishing vessels which have been blocking the port entrances. Two fishing boats purposely rammed a naval patrol boat and were in return fired upon with water canons washing four fisherman overboard. President Melos said, "Our nation has been brought to a stand still for the last few days. Emergency vehicles slowed down getting to urgent calls, people unable to go about their daily lives and children unable to get to school. The nation must get back to normal and business must begin again. We will now be making sure that the roads and ports remain open. Should these radical farmers and fisherman want to pursue their ridicuolous course of action then they need to stay out of the way of those not buying into their conspiracy theories."

Courts will sit in shifts throughout the evening to deal with the huge number of arrests. But by the end of the day it seemed like the flow of traffic in Neuva Ardia was beginning to return to normal.

POPE TO VISIT TYTOR

Pope John Francis has today confirmed that he has accepted the invitation of King Michael of Tytor to visit his Kingdom. The Pope has just recently returned from a short tour of his homeland Vanora before hosting a delegation from Swastria. The visit will be the first to Tytor by a Pope in over fifty years. The Pope's office stated, "Tytor are a nation with a rich Christian heritage and have shown a great deal of support for their fellow Christians across Mundus. His Holiness is very much looking forward to the visit and a chance to explore the nation which he has not visited even as a private individual."

The itinerary of the Pope's visit has yet to be released. While in Vanora the Pope spent time visiting a series of important religious sites as well as attending a variety of masses. The Pope even visited his old school where he gave the morning blessing to students before teaching a class on Religious Education to a group of 11 year old students. Following the visit the Pope said, "To have the chance to see youngsters engaging with their faith warms my heart. I enjoyed being able to answer their questions and engage with them. The Papacy has often been accused of being old fashioned and does not engage with the youth of today. While we can not forget or change or traditions there are ways we can ensure our faith is inclusive of all generations."

PRIME MINISTER WORRIED ABOUT "PENINSULAR SANDWICH"

Prime Minister Shiro Ishihaka of Toshikawa has used a speech to University students to speak of his concerns for Eastern Ardia. He described the Ardian Peninsular as a "sandwich" when discussing tensions in the area. "We have Rokkenjima and their ally Novinica to our North and the alliance of SANE to the south. We have seen now on several occasions these two groupings have diplomatic disputes and then with literally no steps in between one or both of the sides have turned to a military response. Ourselves, Neuva Ardia and the Allied States find ourselves a kind of peninsular sandwich where both sides seem to believe that we are somehow just going to sit in silence. We have even seen an attempt to build a canal through our nations with the express purpose of shifting trade routes from the southern coast of the peninsular to further north, kind of as though we are just a uncircumstantial region to be seen as a kind of toy for others. We now see Rokkenjima sending yet another carrier fleet to the South of Ardia simply because SANE have a difference of political opinion." Following the meeting Prime Minister Ishiaka said in the coming days he is likely to seek a tri-nation meeting between himself, President Melos of Neuva Ardia and Praetor Julius Devaux of the Allied States. The Prime Minister stated, "We must begin working together to ensure that we are no longer taken as just an area bolted onto Ardia."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 09:45:24 PM »

MELOS AIRLIFTED DURING RALLY

President Tero Melos was today emergency airlifted to hospital following a rally at the town of Hornitos. The embattled President was speaking to  a group of supporters at a chemical factory when what many believe was a gunshot rang out and as people ran for cover and his security team swung into action the President was seen prostrate on the floor. Military members who were providing security rushed to clear the crowd and investigate the surrounding area. The President's security detail were seen performing first aid on him as he was rushed to the Chemical plants private airfield where he was put aboard a hastily scrambled medical plane.

Investigations at the scene found an abandoned rifle in an industrial warehouse in a compound opposite the chemical plant. Investigators from the military have said, "It is extremely likely whoever has tried to kill President Melos either was from abroad or had help from abroad. The rifle was of a military standard and the ammunition of an extremely high grade. This weapon is not used by our own military and is not avaliable to buy. It has clearly been brought into the nation to try and kill our President. We are asking bystanders who may have mobile footage to contact us as every little piece of information can be useful. We will also be checking nearby CCTV to hopefully catch the perpatrator."

Later in the day Vice President Leandro Roldán took to television to address the nation and said, "It is clear that today someone has made the decision to show democracy the ultimate disrespect. Our President has won every election and referendum he has fought over the last decade and has done us proud. There will always be voices of descent, I myself once ran against him for our own parties nomination but I, as everyone must, respected the decision of the people. We have seen a small majority of people oppose the most recent referendum, people who opposed us ever having it and have thrown their toys from the pram like spoiled children. My hope is that while these people may have opposed the referendum they have not done so with bullets. Anyone being found to have helped in anyway can expect the full force of the law to come down on them. My belief though is that this has come from outside. We see nations trying to impose themselves on our democracy, trying to influence both sides of the debate. This is simply nations trying to weaken our nation in hopes of plunging us into a disasterous civil war. Perhaps it is the Toshikawans attempting to weaken us so they can try a second genocide. Maybe it is someone like Rokkenjima trying to enforce their demands upon us, or maybe even someone like Tamora upset that our nation is strong enough to not need their bribes. Either way once we find out who is responsible myself, and the Gods willing President Melos shall ensure justice is done."

It was confirmed that the President had been shot in the arm and required some minor surgery. It is likely that he will make a full recovery but will remain in hospital for at least the next 48 hours for observation as it is reported that as he fell he took a blow to the head.

MOGEBBE PORT MISSING "$30MILLION"

A major trading company in Zimalia has today announced that it has seen around $30million worth of goods go missing over the last 12 months. The company is involved in shipping goods and materials of all kinds across Mundus and it's CEO, Harshad Hawkins, was said to be "extremely disappointed that the level of security at the port is allowing vast quantities of goods to move in and out of Mogebbe illicitly. We've seen things like mobile phones go missing, packs of t-shirts, the biggest thing however was we had a motorcycle just vanish. There is a level of corruption in many ports around the world but never have I seen it on this scale. This is to me a sign of one of two things. Option one is that the security staff here at Mogebbe have no clue how to run a safe port. Option Two is that the security staff here are involved. Either way we will be exploring a way to tighten our own security or we shall need to seriously consider whether we continue operations from here."

The Zimalian Minister for Trade said, "This is a situation that we monitor on an ongoing basis. The situation is not as bad as Mr.Hawkins claims. Any business that see's the vast quantities of produce go through it has losses and we are taking action to ensure we minimise these to as low a level as possible. We will ensure that the port continues to provide a safe environment for Zimalian staff and our visiting guests." Several other companies have come out since and stated that they too are finding levels of missing goods that far exceed those in ports in other locations across Mundus.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:47:49 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

PRAETOR DEVAUX TO HOST "SANDWICH CLUB"

Following comments from Prime Minister Shiro Ishihaka of Toshikawa the Praetor of the Allied States of Ardia has announced that he will be hosting a meeting between himself and Prime Minister Ishihaka. The meeting, which the Praetor named the Sandwich Club in reference to the recent speech from Ishihaka, will be focusing on how the region works together following the recent crisis involving relationships between Rokkenjima and the nations of the southern parts of Ardia. The Praetor also announced that invitations would be sent to Pheubra and Neuva Ardia. "We sit in a rather volatile part of the continent in recent weeks. Riots in Nueva Ardia as we seek to gauge what exactly is happening there, then we have some kind of arguement swinging back and forth between SANE and Rokkenjima. It means those of us wedged between the two face uncertainty rather frequently as of late and this is something that is not doing our people any favours. If need be we need to find a way for those of us within the sandwich club to work together to ensure that if chaos is raging all around us our domains remain calm."

It is expected that the meeting will take place late next week as Devaux explained, "President Melos is, as far as I know, still in hospital and I hope he is recovering. However until we know how Neuva Ardia wish to proceed its very hard to see how we are going to move things forward. We hope that by this weekend the people of Neuva Ardia will be in a position to inform us of their views on the matter."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »

MELOS RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

It was announced today that yesterday afternoon the injured President of Neuva Ardia, Tero Melos, has been released from hospital following being shot. Vice President Leandro Roldán informed the public stating, "The President was shot in the right arm, the damage was not too severe compared to what could have happened. He has undergone some surgery to ensure he heals properly in the long term but is now at home recovering. He will take a further week off to heal fully before returning to perform his day to day duties." The Vice-President stated, "We have yet to discover who carried out this act of terrorism but investigations are on-going. We have seen repeated attempts at undermining democracy both inside our nation and from foreign powers. The President was elected fairly following his actions in the days following the downfall of the monarchy. The new constitution that made us a Republic, replacing the fat-cat monarchy, was approved in a landslide and then most recently the referendum on term lengths, all won by Melos showing the people wish him to lead us going forward."

The military have been keeping roads open for transport despite the efforts of the Farming and Fishing Trade Unions to close them, the protestors have however been permitted to peacefully gather outside Council Buildings as long as they do not impede those working inside.

SEAFORTHIANS "RESIGNED TO BAD NEWS"

With Seaforth's former King, Joshua Rhodes, having been missing for several months his cousin and current King, Andrew Rhodes, has broken the families silence on the situation. It was revealed that Joshua had been part of a small four person expedition team who had planned on exploring parts of the Central Alucard Island chain believing that some of them may have been part of the journies of Jocelyn of Rhodes, a former Christian knight who disappeared in the 14th Century. In many ways the story shares similarities with that of Paul the Explorer from East Moreland. The King of Seaforth said, "We lost contact with Joshua a few weeks back and despite contact and the efforts of Lodja, Paracambi and Bakkermaya[1] we've found nothing, not even their sailing boat. Joshua had insisted on keeping the expedition low key and had left Wellow in high spirits. We have been praying to Helus for his safe return but I think we are now resigned to bad news. There is always the chance in the Alucard Islands of him being stuck somewhere on an island but I would have thought by now we would have found something." The three nations that have effective control of the Central Alucard Islands have said they shall continue having routine naval patrols keep an active watch for debris or signs of the missing boat or the crew on the islands.

1. agreed with those guys

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »

TOSHIKAWA CELEBRATES "NAKED" FESTIVAL

Today the men of Toshikawa have taken part in the annual Hadaka Matsuri Festival otherwise known as the "Naked" Festival. Every year at various towns and cities across the nation the festival takes place in order to gain good fortune and blessings for the year ahead. The festival saw thousands of people in each location strip down to a traditional fundoshi loin cloth before plunging in specially prepared ice baths to purify themselves before gathering outside the window of the local priest who throws several specially blessed twigs to the crowd below. This final part see's a huge crush of men scrambling to grab one of the precious twigs which will according to their custom bring great luck for the year ahead. It is not uncommon for injuries to occur but surprisingly in the crush the individuals take care to try and pick up anyone who falls and prevent harm. One participant was 42 year old Kyō Tanaka who explained why he took part this year, "A few months ago I purchased a new business, a small restaurant me and my family will run. Its been going well but business is only growing slowly. I was hoping that if I could grab one of the sticks the business would boom. Sadly this year I wasn't able to catch one but I hope that the purifying plunge into the water will wash away any bad luck that was coming my way."

Following the festival celebrations and fireworks went on into the early hours as people celebrated the success of their loved ones grabbing one of the twigs.

ASA SCIENTIST WARNS OF "LOCKED IN MUNDUS"

Guiseppe Kessler, a respected physics Professor from the Allied States of Ardia has warned in a lecture today of the dangers of space debris confining Mundus from space exploration. The scientist was speaking at a conference aimed at University students interested in working in the fields of space exploration or astrophysics and he said, "We currently have an unprecidented amount of satellites, both used and defunct, floating around Mundus. At some point in the near future I can see one of two things happening. The first is that some nation with the capabilities of shooting down satellites will, either while testing their weapons or in conflict, shoot a satellite which will turn into micro debris which will hit another satellite which will then form more micro debris and so on. The second scenario is one where two satellites collide and then the cascade of micro-debris continues. If such a situation takes place then we have a situation where for perhaps 20, maybe 30 years, even longer even we can not leave the planet. Nations such as the Alanders and the Cenneg have become experts at pushing the envelopes of scientific discoveries but the focus is only on the next discovery and not cleaning up the mess left behind. A smaller micro-debris cascade could lead to a whole issue of things such as communications networks breaking down or even GPS systems becoming useless. This scenario is one we must avoid. It is in my view as big a threat to the future of mankind as nuclear weapons could be, should such a micro-debris cascade happen then we would be plunged back to the 1940's."

To date several nations have developed the ability to shoot down satellites and several tests have successfully taken place. Each of these tests according to Kessler, "lays the foundations for future disaster as we can not predict where these chunks of destroyed satellite will go, yes some will break up in the atmosphere, or disappear off into space but perhaps taking others with them." To date no nations have begun a programme of cleaning up the orbit of Mundus however East Moreland have offered to hire out their "maintenance satellite" to help dispose of satellites should companies or nations essentially hire the system.

SAFRAEN TO OUTLAW NEW PETROL & DIESEL CARS BY 2035

The Environmental Minister of Safraen, Julia Moreski, has today announced that the nation will ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035. The move will see a law passed that will stop the sale of any vehicle powered by petrol or diesel that has not previously been registered by a private individual. Announcing the new law Minister Moreski stated, "The nation is in a rather unique situation, we are in many ways still rebuilding following the two virus outbreaks and have a much larger national area compared to our population. As such we have a blank canvas compared to many nations. As such we will be not be permitting new fossil fuel burning cars, we however appreciate not everyone will be able to afford a brand new electric powered car and so the sale of second hand cars will be phased out more slowly. It is hoped that by 2050 we can have even have stopped the on sale of polluting vehicles."

Critics of the programme have however pointed out that Safraen lacks any network of electric charging stations seen in many nations across Mundus. One such critic was Democratic People's Party member Georgi Madevo who stated, "We are striving to be able to run a marathon when we can't even walk 100meters. The idea is essentially pandering to the global environmentalist agenda without regard for the quality of life of the people of Safraen. I'm certain that we can reduce our nations carbon foot print without putting people under a ridiculous financial burden."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:18 PM »

DUKE OF VANORA ASKED TO STEP IN ON LOCAL RAIL DISPUTE

Today the Mayor of Jersusalem has announced that the regions high speed commuter network is to add an extra station stopping within 200 meters of the old Temple Wall often called the Wailing Wall by worshippers. While the local Mayor hopes that the new addition to the rail network will help both locals be able to access the old city for their work it will also help tourists be able to get there easily. Currently millions of tourists visit the city each year and the current entrances to the old city via four gates can make it difficult at peak times to enter easily while it is hoped that the new railstation will take this pressure away by taking people directly into the heart of one of the most Holy cities on Mundus.

The news however has not been welcomed by all as some of the leading religious figures have called for the project to be scrapped. One of those concerned is Rabbi Moses Levi who stated, "The idea is ridicolous, the city is a labryth of old historic buildings, catacombs and various tunnels, any work along the lines of that planned is likely to endanger this ancient heritage." Meanwhile a local Imam by the name of Mumtaz bin-Ishaid stated, "The vibrations from so many trains is going to damage the buildings above the line, that will see places such as the ancient Temple Wall, the Dome of the Rock and other sites needing to gain millions more in funding to maintain what in some cases are already damaged construction." Both the Imam and Rabbi have asked the nations Head of State Duke David Aragon to step in and cancel the project however as of going to press the Duke has not commented on the situation.

OPERATION ALBION AIR BEGINS

The Duchy of Aquitaine and the Republic of Marseilles have today commenced what they are calling Operation Albion Air. The two nations are taking part in a series of air based military exercises between the two of them which will see mock air battles, dogfighting and attempts to infiltrate each others airspace. The exercise will last 7 days and is the first joint military interaction between the two nations since they became seperate nations. Prime Minister Erik Gerets of Aquitaine stated, "You must remember that the nations were closely related until only a few years ago. Its the case that many of those taking part in the exercise served together and this will be an interesting comparison of where both nations stand since our independence." Meanwhile the leader of Marseilles, Prime Minister Ralph Deschamps explained, "Both nations have nearly the same main fighter jet and things will have developed since they were equipped. It will be interesting to see how each nation now uses them. Additionally it is going to have to be the case that in the future the pilots of both nations will need to work together to control our air-space."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »

"GIANTS" FOUND IN ZIMALIA

As residents of the town of Sowena in Zimalia began digging to make a new drainage ditch they discovered two unique pieces of archaeology. Just a few meters down the townsfolk found two skulls of enormous size. The University of Mogebbe soon dispatched a team of professionals who have spent the last 24 hours carefully uncovering the huge artefacts. Already conversations about the discovery have been flooding the internet. Among the local community the witch-doctor of the tribe that inhabits the area has said. "It is storied that at one time all humans were of this size but each time mankind committed a great sin the Gods shrank us. If we continue sinning then one day humanity will fade away to nothing. These skulls clearly today show evidence of such a thing." Others meanwhile have rubbished these claims and believe that the objects may be a new phase in human evolution. Professor Emmanuel Akoku said, "Without further study we can not be sure but perhaps these are a different branch of evolution that did not survive long. A body of that size would have needed a tremendous amount of nutrition and when things like ice-ages came then they would not have survived meanwhile species such as our-selves would have been able to survive the harsh conditions and the limited food sources with greater ease and thus thrived."

Some of the handful of Cult of Helus followers in the area have urged that the area be stopped from digging immediately. Shola Emiobi, a former resident of Borland Town where he converted to the Cult said, "This is clearly the grave of the Underlords defeated in battle. It is said that some of the Underlords were buired alive by Helus. I pray that the digging stop incase we uncover one of these Underlords who is still trapped beneath the surface. Should they emerge they shall bring great slaughter on mankind and maybe even end the world. We must cover these skulls up now and concrete over the entire area." Despite Mr.Emiobi's concerns the digging continued and two skulls have been discovered. It is expected that during the next few days the University of Mogebbe shall be undertaking more work on the skulls to determine what exactly they are.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
OOC- Permitted by Dave

SCIENTIST SUSPECTED TO HAVE BEEN KIDNAPPED

Police had spent the last few hours investigating the home address of the scientist Giuseppe Kessler in the Allied States of Ardia. The Police responded to an emergency call from neighbours at around 4am following what was described as "the sound of things breaking and some screaming." Those who live in the same street reported hearing similar things and then the sound of a car speeding away soon after and just before police sirens arrived at the area. Police investigators have spent most of the morning at the site of the Professor's city residence. They confirmed that the Professor's wife and 12 year old son are safe in their countryside home.

The Chief of Police stated, "We responded to a call of a disturbance and found the evidence of a kind of struggle or fight and Professor Kessler nowhere to be found. We are treating this as a potential kidnapping and are following a number of leads. We urge anyone with information about the whereabouts of Professor Kessler to contact us as soon as possible."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »

MELOS "LOOKING FORWARD TO ROKKENJIMA REFERENDUM"

President Teros Melos of Neuva Ardia today spoke about the recent changes to take effect in nearby Rokkenjima following the abdication of Empress Beatrice whom has been replaced by her sister Evanthe in the role. Speaking as he headed to visit a local Police Station that has been involved in dealing with the local political distrubances. "I would like to begin by sending my condolences to the former Empress, Parkinson's disease is a rare curse and one we must do all we can to one day eradicate. With that said we must now begin moving the continent forward, I would at this point say perhaps we should examine the legitimacy of the appointment of the new leadership of Rokkenjima however we all know that there is no way that is physically possible. While the people of my homeland are frequently given the chance to choose who runs their nation the so-called democracy of Rokkenjima has denied it's citizens this chance. On two occasions now Evanthe has assumed the leadership of Rokkenjima with no election or referendum on either occasion. Here I am being criticised by several nations for, in their opinion, not holding a democratic mandate when legally I was elected and hold this position for a little more time before, Heaven's willing, the people give me the privilege of continuing in this role. I have given the people the power to determine their own destiny even regarding the manner of how, when and who these choices are given. If Rokkenjima is going to walk the walk then I am very much looking forward to the Rokkenjiman referendum on whether to continue as an unelected monarchy or fully embrace democracy, and then the election to select who shall take Rokkenjima forward."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »

Isabel Sullivan named MGC President

Isabel Sullivan has been named as President of the Mundus Games Committee, Mrs Sullivan a former director of Achkaerin Athletics replaces Robert MacLaggen of Seaforth in the role, Mr MacLaggen had decided not to seek re-nomination for the role following five years in the job. Mrs Sullivan was asked several questions following her inauguration as President of the MGC including one on the announced joint Tamoran- Seleucid bid for the Mundus Games saying:

"As every competing nations Ministry of Sport or equivalent authority is aware Mundus Games bids have very clear criteria we require information regarding the various proposed venues, the accommodation for the athletes and support staff for each competing nation, the broadcasting rights and most significantly a signed letter from a ranking member of the bidding nation or nations that makes clear that they that they will provide safe venues and protective services for all athletes and staff no matter which nation they hail from. and that explains what the legacy of the games in that nation or nations will be. It is true that the MGC can refuse a bid if there is a legitimate reason to do so, for example we would not hold these games in Clysperis at present due to the civil war in that country posing a clear and obvious danger to competitors. However no bid in the history of the Mundus Games has ever been refused. Likewise it is also possible for nations to petition against a bid if they so wish or ultimately to vote against that bid when time to vote comes. The responsibility of the Mundus Games Committee is not political, it is to facilitate the games in a safe environment and to
ensure that we continue to have a proud Munduswide sporting legacy."

OOC - with permission of Dave

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »

ZIMALIA ON ROAD TO SUCCESS

President Binyamin Elwes of Zimalia today announced that by the end of the month they will have constructed more surfaced roads in 2020 than for the whole of 2019. The boom in road building has been partly inspired by the construction of the Haghighi Dam as well as preparing that region for new business oppurtunities. The nation of Zimalia still has a road network that many have described as "nothing more than gravel tracks" however over the last half a century the government have begun extending out tarmacked roads from the capital Mogebbe. Speaking as his Minister of Transport announced the figures the President was pleased with the progress. "See how industrious the Zimalian people are. Under my guidance we have set new targets for future generations. Soon it will be the case that no vehicle will get bogged down in the mud ever again. The roads at first became a necessity to ensure that the building project at the Haghighi Dam could be completed as smoothly as possible we mobilised a huge workforce to put the roads in for construction. It worked brilliantly and so rather than sending the workers back to their villages we just kept on building, and building, and building until as you here today the record has been broken. We shall go on building until you can walk anywhere in Zimalia without even your shoes getting dirty."

The President is keen to show off his new road network and has stated that he is looking at the Tour of Zimalia cycling race being established starting next year. "What better way to showcase what our people have than by allowing hundreds of world class sportsman to test them out. It will also show case our wonderous countryside, although I suspect we'll see some records set as I can only imagine how fast someone will go when chased by a lion. It's something we'll have to look at." No other details of the race have been released at the time of going to press.

ASA PRAETOR TO GIVE GO AHEAD FOR TIDAL ENERGY PLANT

Praetor Julius Devaux of the Allied States of Ardia has today given approval for the construction of the Austrana Bay Tidal Energy Barrier (ABTEB) The project will see a series of tidal energy platforms constructed in a region known as Sassulou which is land under the authority directly of the Praetor. "The Representative Assembly have approved of the construction of these and just needed the permission of land owners." The Praetor explained, "I am delighted therefore to support the decision of the Assembly and as land owner happily agree that these can be built. I will not be charging for the use of the land and hope that it will help our nation reduce our reliance on carbon producing energy." It is expected that the first of the platforms will be installed in around six months according to the Praetor. "These are not new forms of technology, we will be purchasing existing models and installing them into the national grid. The bay is a brilliant source of tidal energy which needs to be harnessed."

The nation has yet to sign the Environmental Protection Treaty and the nations leader has not commented on whether he intends to. "We are moving towards ending our reliance on coal or gas, we have many options on the table, nuclear, wind, solar and hydro-electric. Not every source is suitable for what we need so we'll undertake an evaluation of larger scale projects."

SAFRAEN TO ESTABLISH COMMERCIAL CORRIDOR

President Mikhael Dretsyj of Safraen has today announced that after months of conflict and occupation in the Gulf of Safraen the Navy of the Republic will be establishing what he is calling a "Commercial Corridor". Over the last few months naval forces from several nations including Achkaerin and Dragovah have sent huge naval forces as part of their operations in Clysperis' Civil War. Speaking as a pair of Frigates left harbour, "The two ships will meet up with other naval assets. They will first ensure that the main maritime route into and out of our nation is navigable, once this is done we are going to ensure that it is free from non-merchant shipping. This civil war has gone on for months now and we've seen absolutely no naval engagements as part of it. There is no need for the vast numbers of ships to be present and so we must now ensure that they are not interfering with our routes."

It was announced soon after that the Vanoran Ambassador to Saefran was later meeting with President Mikhael Dretsyj and that they were exploring the possibility of making this a joint operation. Vanora has seen a decline in its annual number of tourists so far many cruise ships have opted to stay clear of the region because of the militarisation.

MARSEILLE WINE AUCTION RECORD SET

The rare and ancient wine discovered some months ago in Marseille is due to be auctioned tomorrow. A total of 50 vats of the wine in clay pots were discovered and are thought to be around 1,400 years old making it perhaps the oldest wine in existance. It is expected that 30 of the pots are due to be auctioned off and the proceeds going towards preserving some of the nations museums and sites of historical significance. There is no indication as to how much is expected to be raised but it is likely each pot will sell for a six figure sum.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »

WELL KNOWN FACES BUY "ANCIENT WINE"

Marseille are said to have raised tens of millions of dollars at the auction of a historic collection of wine, thought to be the oldest "drinkable" wine in existence on Mundus. The collection of clay pots were auctioned off in a series of lots with the proceeds going to the government and ear-marked to be used for preserving the nations other national heritage sites. A total of 50 pots were discovered with 30 being offered for auction. The exact total is yet to be confirmed as some of the vats were auctioned in a blind auction using sealed bids. It was however confirmed that several internationally known individuals have been among those who have purchased the wine including King Lapu of Quintelia who is said to be partial to the odd glass of wine. Another bidder who was successful was Tytorian businessman and billionaire E. H. "Hal" Morgan. A pair of clay pots were also purchased by someone in Centrailia with the rest thought to have gone to Marseille based individuals or organisations.

The pots were discovered by a team of archaeologists from the local University who said, "We're delighted that the find has raised money to protect our nations heritage. Many sites became damaged during the battle for independence from the Duchess and now we can work to ensure they are restored to their former glory." When asked about the way the wine would taste however the Professor wasn't hopeful. "Wine that is around 1,400 years old is likely to have changed its taste significantly. We used 10 pots for tests and various other things and none of us drank any, it smelt very vinegary and rather sour. But for some the prestige of owning something so rare is enough." Each of the pots contains 39litres of wine meaning that should anyone open them they have plenty to go out. "What happens to these is now out of our hands. We intend to keep some for museums in Marseille or even loan out through CETO. The digs at the former Palace complex are still ongoing and can now last even longer. We're excited about what we can find."

JERUSALEM POISED FOR "RELIGIOUS FEVER"

Tomorrow marks the Jewish festival of Passover while just four days later Christians will celebrate Easter as such the capital of Vanora, Jerusalem, is currently inundated with pilgrims of the two faiths. Already large crowds have been visible at the Western Wall offering prayers, so many that Duke David has sent extra security to the city to help ensure that the pilgrims are kept safe. The Duke explained the decision saying, "Traditionally despite the events being so close together we have very little problem. This year however we've had issues with securing entry to the nation thanks to the large gathering of international interlopers in the Gulf. As such many people have thought they may struggle to get in thanks to naval patrols and no fly zones and so have come earlier or by more round about routes through places like Tamora. As such crowds at this point are bigger than we would usually expect." The Duke also pointed out to the threat of increased activity by Nya Aland based terror group The Gungnir. "Last year we saw the group target the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in what they called a revenge attack for the way historically speaking Pagans have been treated by the Christian faith. While we have no intelligence of any impending attack we're not taking a risk. We've seen them somehow mess about with satellites and so we know they are rather creative in their approach. Our military will be around, will be alert and will be watchful. They also though will not interfere with people wishing to peacefully pay their religious respects regardless of faith."

Once Passover is out of the way tomorrow it is expected that we shall see a huge influx of Christians as Easter celebrations begin. Pilgrims tend to visit the Garden of Gethsemane, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Stations of the Cross. Duke David explained, "We'll see thousands of people trying to get around the old city and its narrow streets. We've been tempted to experiement with a one way system however we thought on reflection that this would be too difficult to enforce. We are trusting people to be sensible and look out for each other like the Christian bible teaches its followers."

The Pope had considered visiting the city during the Easter celebrations however with discussions carried out with Duke David it was determined that this year the increased security risk would put undue pressure on the city and the Vanoran security forces. Instead the Pope will maintain the traditional Easter address from the Vatican in the Ecclesiastical State.

GIANT SKULLS OF ZIMALIA A "RELIGIOUS ODDITY"

Several months ago a team of archaeologists in the Zimalian town of Sowena discovered a series of huge giant skulls. This discovery shocked the locals with many believing folk tales of giants had been proven to be true. While the exact nature of the discovery has yet to be confirmed it has been determined that the skulls are not made of bone, or at least not naturally. A team from the University of Mogebbe examined the skulls using a variety of non destructive techniques and found that the skulls where in fact incredibly crafted objects. The study was aided by local experts from a variety of Universities in Zimalia as well as a pair of scholars from the Bene Gesserit Sisterhoods Missionara Protectiva.  Professor Emmanuel Akoku was in charge of the study and announced what the team had found. "The Skulls are in fact intricate creations. A frame work of leather and wood over which a carefully pieced together bone 3D jigsaw has been put together. The skulls are incredibly detailed. The coronal, sagittal, lambdoid, and squamous sutures are infact almost like a woodwork joint piecing together sections of bone. The same is the case with occular and nasal orbits. Whoever made this was a clearly skilled craftsman. We're now working to try and identify the types of bone used as well as exactly what they were used for." It is other objects found in the trench that may lead to that being determined. "We found various small items, similar to what we would consider to be grave goods. Additionally we found the beginnings of what look like inscriptions on the inside of the skulls. We've seen them through a damaged part of the framework. What we intend to do is investigate ways that we can examine these without destroying these incredible pieces of art."

Professor Akoku was asked what he believes the objects are or what they were used for and he explained. "I think at this point we'll call them a religious oddity. It is for that reason we had a request from these Missionara Protectiva to get involved and they're extensive religious knowledge has helped us a lot. We think they may have been some ancient idol, the grave goods being offerings but the religion clearly either died out, was eradicated or evolved. Our task now is to find out what the religion was and which of those three are true."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »

PHAROAH OF ABYDOS RETURNS HOME TO BEGIN RAMADAN

Pharoah Enna Amenei was a guest at the recent wedding between Prince Jamshaid of Tamora and Princess Thekla of Royal Seleucid. The wedding was a vast occasion with it being the catalyst for a huge number of street parties across both nations as well as being televised across the region. The Pharoah was one of many regional leaders to attend the event which brings the two Midaranye nations closer together. The Pharoah immediately returned home to Abydos to welcome in the Muslim fasting period of Ramadan with his countryman. The Pharoah attended Iftar at the al-Masjid al-Ḥarām along with thousands of other Muslims. The Pharoah offered his best wishes to the newlyweds stating that he believed that the union would, "create a stronger and more harmonious region." before wishing the newlyweds all the best, "I hope they have a long, happy and fruitful marriage. They are a lovely young couple and deserve the best."

DINOSAUER HOTEL OPENS IN TOSHIKAWA

The Jurassic Inn has today opened in Toshikawa. The unique hotel is staffed almost exclusively by robots with several of its key "members of staff" being robotic dinosaurs. The check in desk when our reporter visited was manned by a pair of raptors who took the reservation details and then issued card keys for the room. Moments later a small robotic dinosaur appeared on wheels to take her bag to the room. The hotel is run by Mr.Kohaku Yoshioka who explained, "when people travel they want to experience something new and unique. That is why I wanted to develop this hotel. Being served by robots may seem impersonal but they are more efficient and will not make the mistakes human counterparts will. We don't need a bell boy to carry a bag in this day and age. Also who doesn't think dinosaurs are amazing. Children love the idea."

Mr.Kohaku Yoshioka explained that he intends to open several others each with their own theme. "We are currently designing one to have monkey's serving people, and we are in talks with various movie franchises to licence their content. Once a place gets dull we can essentially change the skin on the robot and the place is new again. I'm excited by the prospects we have. Once we get the thing right in Toshikawa we will look further afield. We can place at any budget so expect us to aim for an experience on places like Royal Seleucid's Palm project to have robots provide the very essence of luxury."

VICTORY DAY SEE'S NATIONAL ART INSTILLATION

As Marseille seeks to celebrate its anniversary of the defeat of the Sorority of Materna and the overthrow of Duchess Alys renowned artist Michaël Cousineau unveiled his latest instillation. The 28 year old sculpter was in the capital Montaulon to show off one of the 800 pieces which was a lifesize statue of a member of the Nya Aland Special Forces who helped liberate the city. "We have made in various guises statues of those who fought to free our nation. We have in some cases members of the oversea's coalition which came and supported our uprising. Some of the statues will be familiar to the citizens of Marseille, such as Jean-Pierre Cantona who lead Real Marseille which were the largest of the civilian liberators." Mr.Cantona's statue stands in a small street of Montaulon outside what is his families butchers shop, the inaugural President of Marseille he held the post only long enough to set up a constitution and hold elections before retiring back to his business. He no longer works in the shop himself which has become a tourist attraction to many however he did attend the unveiling stating, "I am naturally honoured to have this statue. It should however be remembered that 20 of my group died in conflicts around these streets and they should be the ones we remember not me." Mr.Cantona has long run a campaign aimed at persuading the local mayor to place brass paving stones at the points his comrades died.

Of the 800 statues which are dotted across the nation 650 are of citizens of Marseille with the remainder being from members of the CTOMM which undertook an operation to help liberate the nation. Heikke Noah was one of the Alander Special Forces that infiltrated the capital and attended the unveiling of the image of one of his fallen comrades in the capital. The now retired officer stated, "I am proud of what we accomplished and that my friend will be remembered as the warrior he was." The statues will remain in place for the next six months before some of them being collected and placed in the gardens of the nations Senate. President Emile Sauzee explained, "We owe our thanks to those people who gave up their safe lives to pick up arms and defend their neighbours. We owe thanks to those who came to support us in those efforts. These statues will serve as a reminder that those who died were real human beings not just statistics." It is estimated that around 85,000 citizens died during the conflict as the forces loyal to Duchess Alys carried out mass reprisals for those that rose up against her.

Meanwhile in neighbouring Aquitaine people begin preparing for Independence Day which takes place on May 5th.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »

MIDARANYE: A TALE OF TWO ISLAMS

Fresh from his attendance at the Tamora-Royal Seleucid royal wedding Pharoah Enna Amenei of Abydos has visited the al-Masjid al-Ḥarām Mosque in order review work being undertaken in preparation for Eid al-Fitr. While there he spoke of his hopes for the coming festivities. "I am pleased that as this special time of year comes along we are seeing peace come to Midaranye. The civil war in Clysperis is at an end and winding down, Tamora and Royal Seleucid celebrate a coming together of their people and Waddan begin to explore the world. It is a promising time for all those involved. We are in a time when the Muslim faith is fasting, focusing our minds on Allah and his teachings. It is a time of hardship, especially as the fast comes about during a lengthy period of daylight for those of us in Abydos, but we must endure with good spirits and this shall make us stronger. I wish the Muslims of our region all the best for their time of hardship and that we all become stronger in our faith through this time. I however do feel sorry for some Muslims in this region, Midaranye could be said to be a region of two Islam's. We have in the heartlands those resolute in following the path of Islam, yet in Soleimani I fear they will weaken. Muslims there are not afforded help in their faith by their governments stances, we have a nation of around 37million Muslims and they are forced to live in a nation so far removed from the word of Allah. They allow gambling, drinking, even homosexuals to join their military and marry. Surely such a nation must be difficult for a Muslim population to accept. Those keeping true to the word of the Quran and ignoring these temptations put in front of them deserve respect and I pray they will do more to ensure their country stays as true to its faith as those of the rest of Midaranye do."

The Pharoah broke his fast across the road from the mosque that evening with members of the construction teams that are fixing aspects of the mosque in preparation for Hajj.

SEAFORTH TO HOLD 1st CROSS CELTIC GAMES

Following talks last year between Seaforth, Cantabria and Ui Cenneslaig a decision was made to host a version of Ui Cenneslaig's popular Highland Games, the venue for the first holding of the new games was selected as Seaforth in an effort to attract tourists to help them economically boost their nation. It is estimated that several hundred Celts from the diaspora will visit Seaforth during the three week sporting and cultural extravaganza which will see events ranging from Tug-of-War to Drumming and Stone Throwing. The games are a central part of Celtic culture and have been used in the past as a means of testing various skills used by warriors throughout history. The Games do not feature national teams as the Mundus Games would but instead teams are drawn from Highland Clans. One of the competitors is renowned rugby player, Seaforthian born Rollo MacAllister who now is a Morelander citizen. The giant rugby player is competing in the caber toss for the MacAllister clan which is one of around 200 teams. MacAllister stated, "The games are less serious than the rugby in many ways. We all want our clan to come out on top but its about everyone meeting up and socialising. I suspect a lot of whiskey will get drunk and a lot of songs will get sung."

The Rhodes clan are the official hosts of the tournament and it is rumoured that King Andrew Rhodes may also compete in the games in some capacity. Another famed family taking part in the games are the Atreides clan who are members of the Bene Gesserit faith. The current Ambassador of the disputed nation of Kaitaine, Verspasian Atreides, has also made a statement on the games stating, "The Bene Gesserit Celts are very different culturally in many ways because of us leading ourselves into the East of Aranye, well away from ancestoral lands. We've kept some traditions together but I suspect we will be rediscovering much of what makes us Celts when we arrive." Verspasian Atreides will not be attending the games in person however it is understood that quiet a few Bene Gesserit females will be taking part for various clans.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »

Safraen: Olr Bank employees go on strike following the announcement that the bank will be bought by a Tamoran bank

The trade union of the employees of Olr Bank has announced their members will go on strike starting Monday following the announcement that the bank they are working for has been bought by the foreign Tamoran bank called TIB. The representative of the trade union has described the recent announcement by TIB to require female employees to wear the hijab as outrageous and contrary to the standard practices in Safraen. “Many of our female members have expressed their dissatisfaction with the decision announced by the Head of TIB and have asked us to formally protest against the decision” said the leader of the trade union of Olr Bank’s employees.

Representatives of TIB have given a brief statement saying that ”wearing the hijab is part of the dress code for female employees in all branches of the bank regardless of religion or ethnicity”. The representatives added that they do not consider it a burden on female staff as the uniforms will be manufactured in Tamora and given to bank employees for free. 

OOC: I have Dave's permission to post this.