Author Topic: Åland Happenings  (Read 1201 times)

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
Åland Happenings
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
Co-Written by Libby

The site had had been specially decorated for the occasion, mistletoe branches tied to make an archway and timber poles arranged in a circle each with a different rune carved into them. It had taken Daniel Stenberg, Head Gothi of Nya Åland weeks to preapre in secret, his hand was not as steady as it had been in his youth but he had enjoyed the work. He sat on a rock overlooking the Sea of Alucard, a light dusting of early morning snow had turned the shallow stone beach a smooth white blanket. The crunch of several sets of feet alerted him to the approaching group. "Good Morning" he said without turning around, his eyes enjoying the sight of the grey mist rolling off the Sea as the sun crept into the sky. Soon he was joined by ten men, all dressed in furs, they sat on the rocks and logs around him as though expecting some words of wisdom.

"Good morning Your Holiness" the taller of the men said as he puck a rucksack down on the snow.

"Henrik, how long have we known each other, twenty, twenty five years?" Daniel asked as he finally removed his gaze from the ocean giving the man a friendly hug. "Have you brought what we require?" he asked as he began looking into the rucksack.

"Yes, everything you put on the list" Henrik replied as he handed Daniel a metal box the size of a cigrarette carton. Daniel flipped the lid open and a flint and striker was visible, he took it out and crossed to the pile of wood nearby that he'd collected first thing that morning. His hand trembled as he tried to strike the two together, it was difficult and took several attempts, the men around him light heartedly teasing him as he tried one last time, thankfully it took and twenty minutes later a roaring fire was raging. Then men had all taken seat on logs around it and passed amongst them horns of mead and pieces of salt fish. For a good hour until the sun was fully up they sat, drank, sang and ate.

Daniel finished his horn of mead and stood putting a couple of new logs onto the fire, "You can't let this go out" he instructed two of the men, younger than the others these were Henrik's sons and they nodded obediently. "Now once this is done there is a letter for each of you" Daniel walked around the group handing each of them a white envelope sealed with the Head Gothi's seal. "It means what you do today you are doing on my orders and that I accept fully the consequences, keep them safe." he watched as each of them placed their letter in a pocket of their rucksacks. "Now, Osvald, its not too late for you to change your mind?" he asked as he continued

"I was about to ask you the same question" Osvald, a tall muscular man with a long greybeard chuckled as he slipped off his fur jacket and white shirt leaving just a heavy steel torque around his neck bearing the marks of a Gothi.

"Unlike you I have no choice" Daniel said grimly as he removed the axe from its protective covering.

"That's just a lump of heavy weight" Osvald unsheathed a sword, "Sword beats axe, just let the other man swing himself out and then gut him." Osvald was a great swordsman and as such knew he could stay away from an axe easily.

"Well that's reassuring" Daniel managed a smile and pulled his long greying hair into a pony tail through a leather thong. "Lets do this" he urged and the two men began circling each other as the others watched. Daniel grunted and swung the axe in a powerful arc aimed at Osvald's stomach, it was a mighty blow but the taller man just stepped back as it whistled into thin air, Daniel wasn't done though he now swung downward hoping to split his opponent in half. Osvald raised his sword letting the axe bounce harmlessly away. The swordsman came forward now and lunged for the Head Gothi who narrowly twisted away, next the sword lunged at the arm and nearly found its mark. The two traded parries and blows for a few minutes, but it was clear Daniel was tiring, the weight of the axe, the snow and his health all slowing him down. "Do it! Do it now!" a heavily breathing Daniel screamed as he hefted his axe, he never swung it as Osvald came forward burying the sword in Daniels stomach, the Head Gothi slumped forward, his warm red blood pouring onto the virgin white snow turning it pink in places. He collapsed onto his knees before slumping onto his side. "The axe....I dropped the axe" he stammered as he fumbled with his right hand.

One of the men in the circle stepped forward scooping up the weapon and wrapping Daniel's hand around it tightly. As one the men, along with Daniel, began praying.

"Lo, There do I see my Father
Lo, There do I see my Mother and
My Brothers and my Sisters
Lo, There do I see the line of my people back to the beginning
Lo, They do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla
Where thine enemies have been vanquished
Where the brave shall live Forever
Nor shall we mourn but rejoice for those that have died the glorious death."

As Daniel reached the final words Osvald slit his throat ending his life. The group stood around for a few moments contemplating what they had just done, it was a middle aged bald bearded man who broke the silence. "Right, get him in the boat, Tobias" he turned to one of the two boys tasked with looking after the fire, "Film this" the youngster obediently did as ordered and his phone captured them scooping up his body which they'd washed using sea water so that no blood was visible, dressing him in a long white Gothi's robe, mistletoe tied in his hair and beard. They lowered him onto a boat, filled with bracken, twigs and soaked in oil.

Osvaled placed the Head Gothi's axe into the boat followed by the others who all placed an object alongside him, horns of mead, game pieces, silver plates, all the things a warrior would need in the afterlife. Once prepared he spoke, "We send to Valhalla a brave man who died in battle, a weapon in his hand, a true heroes death. He will go ahead and keep a place by the fire for us all and a horn of mead ready for when we arrive. May Odin accept him" With that the group ignited the boat and pushed it out into the Sea of Alucard, the First Head Gothi of Nya Åland going to Valhalla in the quiet unassuming way he had lived his life.