Author Topic: Clysperis Looks South (Private Communication to Kodima)  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Clysperis Looks South (Private Communication to Kodima)
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:02:59 AM »

Consul Ester Kogan,

Despite our nations sharing an extensive border we have yet to establish proper relations with one another. I apologize for this and take fault, as unfortunately in recent times I was forced to devote many of my attentions to the internal affairs of the Kingdom. With that being said I believe there is much which could be gained by our Peoples and Nations through the establishment of formalized diplomatic relations, the exploration of economic opportunities in connecting the Gulf of Safraen to the Gulf of Auraxis, and promoting broader peace and stability within our region.

I have no preferences as to whether we would meet within the Kingdom or your own nation, I merely welcome the opportunity to speak with a fellow Midaranye Head of State who breaks the usual mold we've seen in our neighbors and believe there is much we could accomplish together for our Nations and Peoples. I look forward to your reply and hope we may soon speak together.

Akasha Di-‘nh-mi-Re, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Divine of Appearance, Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra, Lord of the Three Lands, Ruler of Justice like Ra, High Priest of Every Temple, the Eye of Horus, Satisfied is the heart of Ra.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Danekamp
Re: Clysperis Looks South (Private Communication to Kodima)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:36:10 PM »

To:- Pharoah Akasha

With regret I have been forced to pass your communication to Emperor Malachi who in his role as Head of State is granted the power to speak on behalf of the Empire. My role as Royal Consul is merely to act as a check upon his power by managing the affairs of the Senate who provide a final seal of approval, or disapproval of his decisions. As such I am forced to turn down your invitation however His Imperial Majesty is willing to accept the invitation if you wish to transfer the invite to him.

Regards

Royal Consul Ester Kogan

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 10:12:55 PM »

Consul Ester Kogan,

My sincerest apologies for this oversight. I would be delighted to transfer the invitation and hope this hasn’t caused too much trouble.

Thank you.

Akasha Di-‘nh-mi-Re, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Divine of Appearance, Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra, Lord of the Three Lands, Ruler of Justice like Ra, High Priest of Every Temple, the Eye of Horus, Satisfied is the heart of Ra.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 11:42:49 PM »

To:- Pharoah Akasha

Following clarification I would be intrigued to attend this meeting.

I look forward with curiosity to meeting at your earliest available convenience.

From

Emperor Malachi V of Kodima

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 06:24:16 AM »

Emperor Malachi V,

I am thus pleased to invite you to my personal residence in the City of Setri. I have attached instructions for an arrival to Khemnen International Airport, after which a helicopter will be on standby to transport you and your delegation to Setri. As I mentioned linking the Gulf of Safraen to the Gulf of Auraxis in my previous message I see it as a most fitting setting. I look forward to your arrival.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
The flight from Kodima to Setri was shorter than many Malachi knew he would experience when it came to international diplomacy. It was also one he was a little uneasy in taking. While it was true the city on paper looked fantastic it was part of a wider "Modernisation" that Clysperis was living through and to his eyes it all seemed quick. They'd changed moral stances, they'd built ultra modern buildings and everything about Clysperis seemed to be in a state of flux. Things like that worried him, where they true changes or merely ways of winning short term favour. He suspected that he would soon find out. #

He had brought with him Yehonatan Anan. He was a young Minister from the Foreign Office with a growing reputation. Short of stature and with closely cropped hair he wore thick rimmed black spectacles that made him look like a stereotypical geek. He was a man who had served once as a Rabbi in the Imperial Military but had given up the career four years ago to enter politics where he'd been a shining light for Consul Esther Kogan's Independent Alliance. The nations Consul had a hope to create a new generation of diplomats from within her party having just recently cemented them as firmly in control of the nation. Anan was therefore her pet project and as the Emperor had agreed a Minister would accompany him on any diplomatic visit Malachi was thankful for his company as they arrived in their hosts shiny pet project.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 08:42:36 AM »

The Royal Palace in Setri

Upon greeting her guests Akasha smiled, "Welcome to my home away from home, I do hope your trip thus far has been pleasant. During the construction of Setri I had historians look through plans for buildings that had once existed in Clysperis and this one fascinated me," she continued, "it was built by a Pharaoh removed from my father's time by a few generations, so it combines some elements of Clysperi architecture mixed with more foreign tastes than we'd see in purely Clysperi architecture. The original was destroyed by the Soviets in their drive into the Kingdom, so I thought it would be fitting to see it rise from the ashes just as our Kingdom has against all odds. Please, come in," she guided them into the foyer, after which they'd sit together in the living area of the Palace.

"Thank you for accepting my invitation," she continued, "you're our Southern neighbours yet I feel as though we haven't had the chance to sit together, work together, or even consider the possibilities between our nations to date. I, and my nation, have been rather prolific in recent history so I feel as though you have the advantage here in what we know of each other. I would be pleased to learn more of you, to know who I am discussing matters with, and I hope that what you think of my Kingdom coming into this meeting is markedly different than what you shall know upon your departure. So please, introduce yourself so I may properly introduce my Kingdom in kind to you," she concluded with a warm smile.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 09:33:29 PM »
The Emperor and Yehonatan Anan smiled as they gave a small bow of acknowledgement to the Pharaoh. "Its a pleasant house" the Emperor said rather simply as they made their way inside. He had followed the matters of the Clysperis Civil War with interest but had seen it as something a new Emperor was better off leaving to the locals but that had kind of backfired upon him in some way. Now nearly three years after taking the throne it was a mistake that perhaps would haunt him for years to come.

"Our nation is one that at heart is very simple. We exist because of a need felt by our people, by that I mean our Jewish people, to ensure we have a strong place to call home. While in our hearts that will always be Jerusalem generations of our people have turned Kodima into a nation dedicated to our faith, dedicated to keeping our people safe and independent. In our deep history that was not always the case and we are a people who have very long memories and the scars of those times run deep. While on paper our people may speak of creating a nation from Jerusalem to the Gulf of Auraxis in reality we know that will not happen as we seek peace. It is my hope that moving forward Kodima will become a central part of Midaranye and I'm proud that we've already grasped a decent start with our southern neighbours. Now as we glance North we must see if such success can be replicated. I am however a little more cautious in this regard" Malachi was trying to tread delicately. " I suspect over the next few hours we may find places that we can not work with each other on but I will promise to give each proposition a fair hearing" Malachi explained. "Perhaps a explanation of Setri may be  good place to begin our discussions, I understand we sit in a new city, a place built for trade and enterprise. Quiet impressive so soon after your recent conflict."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 08:37:17 AM »
"It seems to me that your nation and people have a history which they should revere, and I can certainly relate in terms of long memories and those scars which run deep. Clysperis was not always so, my ancient forefathers were the rulers of Abydos for example," she paused, "the rise of Islam in Abydos caused the Royal House to flee to the then-colony of Abydos to ensure the survival of our civilization as it existed prior to the Islamic take-over. Do keep in mind I, nor Clysperis, harbours any animosity toward Abydos: the existence of our path and their path does not preclude either from existing, and we need not compete. I do sometimes wonder what things would look like if the split had not happened, and I do wish to visit some of the sites my forefathers constructed in the Old Kingdoms, and it pains me that the constructs of our civilization weren't preserved in the Old Kingdoms as they have been in Clysperis, but I digress."

"Ah yes, Setri," Akasha said as she motioned to the window aside them. "Clysperis has a long history, it is only in relatively modern times that Clysperis was a nation looked upon with derision by the world around her, a nation beset with setback and instability, even being occupied by the Soviet empire at one point. Setri represents a return to form in many ways, one which is reflected in the economic growth of the Kingdom and our attraction of foreign investment and business. Setri forms the centre of the Clysperi Special Economic Zone, a Zone which in many ways seems compatible with what you've done with the Gulf of Auraxis Agreement. I've already received great foreign interest in investment and establishment of operations within the Zone. It is a city which is to be a template for success across the Kingdom, and one which can stand amongst the greatest economic cities abroad. I've often compared it to my generation's monument, just as the Pyramids of Nafu or the Sphinx were monuments of prior generations of Clysperi," Akasha concluded with a measured amount of pride.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 06:52:57 PM »
The Pharoah had, at least to Malachai presented a few problems even before they began their journey, "And many of those sites your apparent fore-fathers constructed were done so with the blood of my people." the Emperor began. "Imagine the civilisation we would have made had it not been dashed by various incursions into our lands." he spoke matter of factly. "We were reluctant at first to accept this invite. You consider yourself the continuation of the culture that brutalised members of my faith. What you see as a site constructed by your forefathers I see as one cemented together with the blood and bones of mine. You must understand then that sitting hear with someone using titles such as "Beloved of Amum, Chosen of Ra, and the like is something that may make my own fore-fathers hang their heads in shame as people with similar titles caused them misery. It is also difficult because of your closeness with Achkaerin. A nation that occupied our home land of Jerusalem for close to 400 years. During their occupation our Temple was destroyed and today sits under a mosque. As you can imagine you two are not people my subjects would expect me to sit with. But these were things done by people long dead to people also long dead. They do though still matter. We do have some communalities, both of us have been forced to rebuild our nations away from our ancestral homelands. We are both moulded by those ancestors, we walk in their footsteps, we have read all the books they left for us and their experiences have shaped who we are and I for one will not betray their experiences. This therefore leaves us at a tricky cross-roads. On one hand I would not have accepted the invitation yet a wise man once said "A person should always take care not cast his thoughts backwards to the past, for his eyes are placed on his face and not his back. So I accepted your invite. With all cards now on the table where do you see these talks heading?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 11:53:01 PM »
"If there is one thing I have learned in my interactions and observations with certain Midaranye leaders it's that they're cursed to let their future drown in the ashes of the past," Akasha said after a moment. "Take Tamora for example, a state which is essentially built around the institution of slavery and views any deviation from their path as nigh impossible. Society looks much the same as it did centuries ago, and in my formal renouncement of the right to take foreign prisoners of war as slaves I reflected legally the position the Kingdom has come to hold on the matter: slavery imparts a stain that touches the soul, and it's something that is undoubtedly addressed in the next life. A society which is stagnant, one which does not collectively learn and evolve, is one which is stagnant."

"There are many things which Clysperi of the past would not approve of me doing, many more things that they would not understand in the modern era. I am certain that many of my predecessors would view Clysperi of alternative faiths as a threat, perhaps even as a resource. They would view my decision to end indentured servitude, and then to hire such servants to remunerative jobs as wholly incomprehensible. Yes, these servants were at one time criminals but they all share something else in common: they are human. We both know the human spirit is capable of being moved to vile acts, yet so to is the heart a fertile ground receptive of that which is just and good if given a chance, support and nourishment. In the servants I have hired I have seen such a rebirth, personal and spiritual, that these are not the same people I met upon hiring them. They have dreams they are pursuing, love they are seeking, and you can see the sense of personal worth and national pride that their new life has granted them."

"Whereas the past is set in stone, the future is ours to shape," she continued. "We can look at past actions of Achkaerin but also look to their present: there is much they could have imposed upon Clysperis, or any other nation they have assisted in living memory, yet they have sought to make things better in their interactions abroad. We should of course remember the past to reference it as a cautionary guide, so that the mistakes of those who knew no better aren't repeated by those who have no excuse to not know better. Things aren't always going to be easy, yet the opportunities that may be opened to our Peoples and nations through beginning the path of friendship and understanding, bridging cultural gaps and knowing who each of us are today, all remain in the cards I believe."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:52 PM »
As Akasha said her ancestors "Perhaps even" saw people of alternative faith as a resource the Emperor and Yehonatan  exchanged a sideways glance. The words sounded like some attempt at denials of what Malachi had outlined. It seemed the Pharoah was more concerned with having the Kodimans accept her world view and reformation than addressing what Malachi had brought up.  "I apologise if I'm telling you something you already know. Our faith believes in teshuva, its best described as atoning for the past. There are set things that must be done, in order. Yonah Gerondi a famed rabbi and scholar said there are 14 things that must be done to achieve it. My problem is I could perhaps say Clysperis have in the past maybe completed a few of these, more thankfully in recent days. All 14 though have not been fulfilled and frankly what I have just heard make me think some may never. So let me perhaps suggest a few things. You are of the bloodline that utilised my bloodline as a resource, no perhaps about it, our Torah uses the word "zakhor" or remember a great deal, including around tales of Moses in Abydos under your ancestors. You must therefore see the situation I am in. While I see you taking steps towards teshuva you have not completed it and effectively white knighting Achkaerin doesn't help. Let me give you an example. One of the steps of Teshuva is to seek to do works dedicated to truth. Should you put aside your pyramids and structures similar to those of your ancestors in Abydos reminding people of the horrific role Jews were forced into in their construction then you are displaying that element. I would also feel more confident knowing that when teaching about your cultures history the enslavement of mine is taught." The concept of Collective Memory was central to Kodiman culture and Clysperis showing respect for that would be a significant step forward.

"My second issue is that there is no Teshuva with Achkaerin. Everywhere you dig in Jerusalem you find history of it being a Jewish city yet now because of their occupation that city see's those people unable to guide the city fully today. Any arrangement me make must recognise that in no way through loopholes or other means must Achkaerin benefit."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 07:41:00 AM »
"Emperor," Akasha said with a sympathetic sigh, "history is written by man, amongst that is some of our most sacred texts and, just as in my faith as I am sure is recognized in your own, man is fallible. We begin with the Pyramids which were built by skilled laborers who led good lives, these were not slaves by any means. Even in Abydos we have seen evidence of worker camps and those workers were well fed and looked after. Even so, even by records available to me which were brought over from our own exodus from Abydos, it is most certain that our cultures interacted as there is a history of Semetic-speaking peoples playing a role in the history of my culture. In times of past famine many peoples in the region were drawn to the breadbasket of the River Ḥ'pī, amongst them people from Kodima's origins; a tomb ofone of our High Priests shows a scene of your traders bringing offerings to the dead, for example."

"Some came as traders and immigrants, others were unfortunately prisoners of war or were otherwise sold into slavery: one papyrus I have seen mentions a wealthy Abydos lord who owned 48 slaves from your ancestors. Yet this does not tell the entire story," Akasha continued, "as around 3,700 years ago your people achieved a level of power we haven't seen in others: a line of pharaohs ruling the Southern Lands which descend directly from your People. This line of Pharaohs led the Southern Lands for some time until challengers, most likely from a rival house of nobility, won power over the Southern Lands from them. The presence of your People remained strong, though eventually there was an exodus from our lands which most likely is associated with the expulsion of that line of Pharaohs. Even then, there is history of my predecessors allowing some of your nomadic predeccessors safe pasasge through our lands. It is a long way down the tree, but it is entirely possible that within my blood flows at least some which is shared with your ancestors, some of whom reigned as Pharaohs in their own right over the Southern Lands as I said earlier."

She paused, "I am already working to see that the history of your people in my lands is properly taught, including those who rose to the highest levels of our ancient society and contributed greatly to Abydos-Clysperi history. I must admit I wasn't expecting to find such ties between our Peoples, but even I had to look through, at times skewed, accounts to find these things out. Our Scribes have maintained our national history for countless generations and I would be pleased to leave them at your disposal for any information you may wish to seek, or at least cross-reference between that recorded by your own historians."

"I cannot speak to the Achkaerinese actions of the past," Akasha continued, "but I would encourage that just as you've given me an audience despite your reservations perhaps some productive dialogue could be held with Emperor Peter? I'm certain if you took your concerns to him he would be empathetic, just as he was empathetic to my concerns despite having no reason or responsibility toward myself or my Kingdom. I shall respect your wishes as to loopholes or any other manners, but as I have learned history is something we cannot change, but through our actions in the present we can work toward a better future. Take that for what it is worth."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 10:24:26 PM »
Malachi was aware of the close ties that had formed between Clysperis and Achkaerin and suspected treaties and agreements between the two existed that would be seeing much more Achkaerin involvement in the region. What would be important for Malachi was to ensure that any inroads were kept to a minimum and that under no circumstances would they get backdoor access to Kodima. It seemed as though Akasha was a cheerleader for the Achkaerin government and that would make these talks difficult. "There will be no exploration of interaction that way any time soon. That begs the question then of where does this leave Kodima and Clysperis?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 06:38:18 AM »
"I must admit I am surprised," Akasha would reply. "I offer full access to some of the best historians in our region, educational programs for our students in regards to our shared histories, and speak of a line of Pharaohs in the Southern Lands descended directly from your People and, from that, we land solely on a hard 'no' in regards to the Achkaerinese. I invite you to consider the information I've shared, we'll ignore the Achkaerinese proposal, and instead go from there as your answer to that information will be more indicative of where Kodima and Clysperis are left."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 10:00:46 PM »
"Kodima and Clysperis are left currently at the same point as when I walked in." Malachi began. "We had no diplomatic arrangements between us and we still do not. While we have on the table a kind of historical exchange in the grand scheme of global geo-politics its less important. Its great we will see young people with a greater understanding of each others nations, cultures and histories. But presently we've nothing between us that either of us what be happy to report to our citizens. We've nothing that shows we're establishing anything new. That is why I asked where you see our relationship as that is clearly the reason you contacted us in the first place and why despite our concerns I came. The fact we've meet and aired our honest opinions could be a step forward but I need to know where you see that. If you see yourself as merely a corridor between a wider arrangement involving us and Achkaerin then things are best left here, if you envisage some kind of formal Kodima and Clysperis arrangement then we need to talk about matters that impact all our people not just academics."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 02:25:10 AM »
"Economic links are something which I feel are worth exploring. The Kingdom has been considering an associate status with the Gulf of Auraxis Agreement as well as developing infrastructure which would link the Gulf of Safraen and the Gulf of Auraxis. This project, coupled with further measures which would reduce the costs of doing business between our nations, providing for high-speed transit from Gulf to Gulf, and expanding opportunities for our workers to pursue opportunities in our respective markets could be a transformative force in our region. The Clysperi economy has proven itself to be an engine of growth in the region, if we couple that with work which is being done elsewhere we can see an entire generation see higher standards of living well into the future."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 08:19:40 AM »
"While I welcome your intent I think we must consider a reality. High speed links from Gulf to Gulf are not new, from Gulf of Auraxis to Clysperis sure, but a route already exists between ourselves and Vanora, remember in the hearts of many of my countrymen we are one nation so it is natural we have ties there. If the matter is merely about coming up with a way of getting trade goods from Gulf to Gulf then we would perhaps find it hard to put aside the fortune it would cost to install such a line to you, hard but not impossible. It would depend on the arrangement and deal. Now as for associate status in the G.A.A I see a huge roadblock. The charter says all permanent members must agree to give associate status to a nation. In recent days you've had a spat with the Emir of Rayyu, I know a meeting between yourself and the Sultan of Waddan did not end well and your long standing issues with Royal Seleucid's King Heydar are well documented. I suspect therefore you may have my vote but not the others, I understand despite your relationship King Heydar has made economic oppurtunities avaliable in Blue to your nation and you have not used them, so why should we believe you'd be a good G.A.A partner if when economic co-operation is already on the table it has not been taken? If you are serious about G.A.A associate status I think you would first need to patch up things with the Emir of Rayyu, he's rather a vain man but reasonable. Then the Sultan of Waddan, maybe you'd get lucky and his current illness take him leaving an heir more open to yourselves and I believe if it makes economic sense King Heydar will support it regardless of your relationship. If need be I'd be happy to try and smooth things if you can think of how this could be achieved."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
"If you'd wish to attempt I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Especially in relation to King Heydar, a man who I have offered countless, and fair, opportunities to address issues between us only to be greeted with silence. While I recognize that he used me to prop his relations with the Cultist population in Royal Seleucid current developments are conspiring to deny him that prop, so it is ultimately in his best interests to drop pretenses and move on from that era of affairs. Should that transpire I may be open to exploring areas of cooperation with the Seleucid. As that is perhaps the most difficult challenge it may be best to start there."

Beatrice Anselmo