Author Topic: The Minstral Boy - Semi Open  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
The Minstral Boy - Semi Open
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »
OOC- I'm happy for anyone to join this once they PM me their idea. This is a central part of Paracambian history so it kind of has a definite end point. I also have no issue if rather than RPing your nation you want to create a character and come along for the ride.

1743 Basseton, Island of Alemba

The Insolent, a Frigate of 32 guns belonging to Imperial Paracambian Navy, had docked late at night and now as the sun rose over the beautiful tropical island crowds gathered down at the docks to catch a glimpse of the boat. It's newly painted hull and glistening trimmings sparkled in the early morning sunlight. Captain Jebadiah Braithwaite made his down the gangplank, his bright green jacket piped with red and yellow braid cascading from his left shoulder. "Good morning fine people" he said as he made a bowing gesture with his Bicorne hat.

"Welcome to Alemba Sir" a young Marine Officer, tasked with guard of the dockyard saluted.

"Thank you" Braithwaite straightened the man's crossbelt. "A smart man is a ready man" he moved past the now blushing Marine and headed for the end of the pier, his men from the ship prepared to leave the boat but a strong loud voice halted them.

"Stand your ground" Sergeant Greaves of the Marines yelled, instinctively the men froze. "We have 24 hours here, under no circumstances are you to drink, whore or otherwise act in a manner unbecoming an Imperial servant. Any of you come back hungover or riddled with the pox and I'll flog the skin off your back and wear it as a scarf, do we understand?" There was silence, "DO WE UNDERSTAND?" he asked again. This time a chorus of "Yes Sergeant" filled the air. "Right get off my ship then." A loud cheer followed by the sound of feet rushing down the wooden boards filled the air, in their eagerness to get ashore some of the skeleton crew of The Insolent fell into the sea a bellow of laughter coming from the rest. Some where meet at the dockside by family, others immediately began flirting with the local girls who had come down to see the vessel.

Braithwaite headed for the market square, he'd been to Alemba countless times, often on routine patrol against pirates, sometimes to repair after clashes with the Seleucid slave ships, more than regularly they won those and brought their freed slaves to islands such as this to give them their freedom. Hundreds of years this had gone on with the Paracambians refusing to accept the yoke of Seleucid slavery for anyone. It had helped boost their population and the slaves had even helped expand the Empire onto new islands. The Insolent however had fallen on hard times, he had been wounded in one such clash and while lying in his bunk with a fever he'd been lucky to survive his now deceased 2nd in Command had tried to take on three slave ships, resulting in much of the crew being killed, the officer a Commander Lincoln had himself been wounded, apparently hiding behind a barrel as the ship had been boarded. It was only Sergeant Greaves taking command of the defence that had saved the day. Two days later Braithwaites fever broke and having received Greaves report he made his way into the ships sick bay, there he had withdrawn his pistol and shot the Commander in the head. It wasn't that the man had failed, it wasn't even the fact he'd got lots of the crew killed, it was the fact he'd not faced the danger with his men, in Braithwaites opinion an officer who shirked danger wasn't an officer and therefore served no useful purpose.

It was with this disaster in mind that Braithwaite had planned on touring the islands and replenishing his crew. Alemba had been the first stop, it had a large fishing fleet and as such generally provided a useful supply of manpower. At the market square there was the regular hustle and bustle, fresh fruit being sold, vibrant colourful vegetables, red and green cloth being sewn into clothing of all kinds. He found a sturdy looking crate and climbed onto it, already a crowd was gathering but to get everyone's attention he cocked one of his twin pistols and fired it into the air, the smoke drifting away slowly in the still air. "Ladies and Gentleman, I am Captain Braithwaite for The Insolent, so called because we spearhead the fight against the evil Seleucid slave traders" a boo went through the crowd, primarily lead by a few Marines dressed in civilian clothing but the crowd soon joined in. "We are called The Insolent because we refuse to accept the tyranny of the Seleucid yoke, in fact we break those yokes every chance we get." This time a cheer, more organic than the boo. "But we have fallen upon hard times, our numbers are dwindling, recently 100 brave souls laid down their lives and joined Teku to watch over us and collect the stars with him. They died so we may be free, they died so no free man, woman or child will know the lash of the Seleucid whip. Today I stand before you asking.....no begging you to remember their sacrifice, to take into your heart their determination that Paracambi shall not rest until every slave on Mundus has been freed." Claps and cheers washed over him. "Now, I need men, I need brave souls willing to join our Navy and take the fight to the Seleucid. For doing that you shall receive a uniform.....and boys what lady doesn't love a man in uniform" He winked at a large lady with a flowery headscarf near the stage, "I'm right am I not darling?" he asked making the middle aged woman blush and the crowd laugh. "You'll receive a silver dollar for joining up" he twirled one in the air. "and then 2 Marks a month, one paid to you, the other paid to your next of kin. You also get a share of any plunder we take. So who wants some of the action?" he yelled.

Immediately three men moved through the crowd and said they wished to sign up, all of them his Marines in disguise. Egged on by the spirit of these men a further three came forward immediately and Braithwaite went through the process of signing them up. Others, mainly younger men in the crowd talked it over, some with loved ones. Some parents encouraged their children, often 2nd sons in large families to do so, it was a chance of a regular wage and income but also one less mouth to feed. "Don't you dare Thomas" one mother said to her young 16 year old son. She could see the twinkle in his eye, he'd always been easily swayed and was a romantic at heart, his harp his pride and joy he would sing songs of love, or the sea and of beauty in the local tavern, he actually earnt a decent income too.

"Mother, I have to, we're only free because of these men." He pulled away and walked forward, his small harp strung around him. "Sir, may I sign up?" Braithwaite looked the boy up and down, he was small for his age but the Captain could use small people, they got to the places others found hard.

"How old are you boy?"

"16 summers sir." Braithwaite seemed surprised, he'd guessed the boy was no more than 14.

"Write and sign your name and take the coin. If you can't write I shall do it for you" he offered a piece of paper and a pen.

"I can write sir" Thomas said proudly, one of the few people who could. He'd been taught by a failed missionary who had hoped to convert the island to Christianity two years ago. The Priest had hoped Thomas would convert and turn his musical skills to praising the Lord, however Thomas instead had read old stories and written his own songs of his nations past. Braithwaite looked impressed and the signature done he handed the boy the dollar. It was official Thomas had joined the Navy. His mother had watched heartbroken that one of her baby boys was heading off to war, maybe never to return. She walked home knowing the Captain liked to take his new recruits to the tavern to celebrate, and hopefully get a few more locals drunk and signed up. It gave her time to prepare for losing her son. She packed him a small pack, filled it with salted fish, meat, some spare clothing, his song book. She took his deceased fathers sword, a short marines one down from above the fireplace and headed back to the tavern.

"Son" She said as she approached, he was sat next to Braithwaite who for some reason had taken a liking to the boy. Thomas had been urged into singing and the pub was joining in. He stopped mid flow thinking his mother was to confront him. "I don't want you to go. But if you must then take this." she placed the sword on the table and Thomas didn't know what to say. His father had died when he was four and he had few memories of him. Braithwaite however recognised the sword and slid it towards him.

"Thomas, the son of a Marine of The Resolve....a good ship, a good crew, sadly missed" The ship had been decommisoned 12 years ago after being battered in an exchange with the Seleucid. Thomas father had been wounded in the defence as they limped the boat home and died just before they reached land. "Put it on, put it on" Braithwaite fussed around him strapping the sword belt on. "There we have it, Thomas The Minstral Boy, ready for the ranks of death hey" The Pub cheered as Braithwaite gave Thomas mum a hug. "I'll do all I can to bring him back to you. He's doing a brave thing, you should rejoice he whispered in her ear.

"I pray for the day he can play his harp in peace." was all she said before saying her emotional goodbye to her son keen for adventure.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
Re: The Minstral Boy - Semi Open
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
"Bluest eyes theres ever been
Like sunshine on the ocean
Sweetest smile i've ever seen
And her black hair
And the golden sands
We danced until the morning
And felt the warm southern breeze
In the summer island air"

Thomas sang merrily as he strummed away on his small harp, a handful of the crew stood in a circle around him, the odd few from Alemba joining in what was one of the songs from their homeland. The odd beaker of rum was being passed around and clearly a few had imbibed more than their fair share and now capered and danced a few steps encouraged by the others. Up on the Poop Deck of The Insolent Captain Braithwaite rested his right hand on the rail looking down on the main deck and tapped along with the tune. His second in command Commander Parrish appeared beside him like a ghost he seemingly just appeared. "Sir, the Doctor wants you to know Billy Maffey will pull through, he'll never climb the mast again but he'll live.....assuming no infections. Doctor says he never made a sound when they cut his arm off. Brave lad." Just six hours earlier they'd fought what was for many of his crew their first skirmish, a Seleucid 24 gun Merchantman that they'd ambushed from an Albion cove. They'd chased her down and then exchanged fire for a while before managing to break one of her masts, then Braithwaite had boarded her. The Captain and his Marines had swarmed onto the enemy deck and stormed through them as the rest of the Insolent crew had used muskets to fire onto the deck. Billy Maffey, a four year veteran of the skirmishes with the Seleucid had taken a flying piece of wood to his arm and by the time Thomas and another youngster had dragged him back aboard the Insolent it was hanging on by the thinnest of sinnews. Thomas had got caught up in the moment and found himself following the Marines when he should have been manning a small gun on deck, his gun chief had chastised him and said it was only the fact he'd saved Billy's life that he hadn't been flogged for deserting his post.

"When we get to port make sure Billy gets off-loaded, take money from my locker to make sure he gets sent back home.....he's from Gustavia isn't he?" Braithwaite prided himself on knowing his crew well and Billy had been with him a long time.

"I believe he is, was a fisherman when he signed up. We'll be landing in Castries though sir." the two islands where the opposite ends of the Paracambian Empire. "Not sure how many ships there are that will take him."

"They'll take him or I'll bloody thrash them. Lads a hero Parrish, I want him looked after ok?" Parrish nodded that he understood the Captains' orders it was a sure way to ensure your crew loved you, Braithwaite often told his 2nd in command that and Parrish absorbed every word keen to learn and one day hopefully take control of the Insolent himself, or maybe another ship if Braithwaite refused to move upwards something the senior man had turned down once or twice keen to stay at what he called the sharp end of the battle. Braithwaite firmly believed that if his men saw him looking out for them even after their usefulness was gone then they'd follow him anywhere and it was largely true. "That new lad, I think his names Thomas, you know the one with the harp."

"Thomas Bickermann" Parrish informed Braithwaite.

"Aye, good strong voice, seems brave too. He was over onto that Seleucid vessel like a rat up a drainpipe" the pair chuckled, "Send him to my ready room once he's done singing" Braithwaite turned away from the rail and made his way down to his room which had a door off the Quarterdeck, some of his veterans joked about him coming down to dance and ever keen to enjoy the crews jokes the Captain capered a few clownful steps as he made his way into his quarters earning a loud cheer from his crew, he stopped turned and removed his hat using it to bow dramatically as he turned and closed the door. He could still hear the music as he sat down and as the light began to fade began writing letters. They had lost five lads during the attack, another four would probably die before they reached port and yet another ten would never fight again, Braithwaite dipped a quill into a pot of ink and turned to the report he had written of the battle. He wrote neatly, "Billy Maffey today gave an arm for the freedom of others" , above his name were various entries listing the dead who had given their lives for freedom and several others who had lost limbs. Next Braithwaite began writing to the mothers of the deceased, he had no idea if the lads had living mothers but it was a necessary duty. He knew most of them wouldn't be able to read themselves but a local priest or preacher would always be willing to help and whichever Gods they prayed to would be quick to offer their support he was certain, after all they were doing the Gods work.

"Dear Mother Kingsley" he began the next letter.

"It is my sad duty to tell you that poor Wesley has today given his life so that others may have freedom. Your son was part of an attack on a Seleucid vessel from which we freed sixteen slaves whom we are now bringing back to our homeland. These 16 people will no longer wear the chains of slavery and that is thanks to Wesley. He was a brave lad and did his duty to the very end. I will miss him and so will my crew. He was a cheeky chap, full of smiles and laughter. His very presence on a stormy night made the winds feel a little softer.  The Empire of Paracambi today gained new citizens while losing one of its greatest. I have enclosed what personal possessions of his we had onboard and his final wages, though that will never be enough. If you require anything please do not hesitate to contact my staff.

It was a privledge to command a hero such as Wesley.

Your humble and thankful servant

Captain Jebadiah Braithwaite
INS Insolent"

Just as he placed the quill down their was a knock on the door, "ENTER" the Captain yelled as he watched a nervous Thomas walk through the door.

"You wished to sir me Sir" the young musician stood his cap in his hand looking at the deck, he thought the Captain had perhaps heard of his desertion from his post and was about to get punished.

"Indeed I did Thomas" Braithwaite came and perched on Thomas' side of the desk. "I heard you got Billy back to the surgeons, good work. I'm pretty sure Billy had crossed onto the other ship, but that can't be true as otherwise you'd have disobeyed orders to man a deck gun wouldn't you?" He watched Thomas splutter for words. "Oh be quiet" he continued, "I know what its like to be in your first battle, the nerves, the excitement and the confusion. You did what had to be done and thats the sign of a good soldier. So I'm having you reassigned, you'll no longer be a deckhand, I'm making you a Marine. You'll start off as a Corpsman, fetching and carrying ammuntion, clearing the wounded and the like, meanwhile Sergeant Greaves will train you how to fight. That sound exciting?"

There was a broad smile on Thomas' face. He'd signed up to free slaves and while he knew he'd be doing that while a sailor there was something exciting about the Marines. Yes it was more dangerous but it was also more adventurous and his father had worn the red jacket proudly. "Yes sir. Thank you sir" Thomas stood up straight seemingly having grown a few inches. "I'll make you proud sir." he added.

"You did today, well done. Now run along and leave the door open. Play something sweet when your back outside." Thomas replaced his cap, saluted and turned, "Oh and Thomas, tell everyone extra ration of rum" Thomas nodded and headed back outside soon there was a cheer as the news was relayed and then Braithwaite heard three cheers, he assumed earned from the rum ration increase, his men had done well today and they deserved it but he knew their fight was not over. Today they'd freed a handful of slaves bound for Seleucid but he knew only too well thousands more will get through.