Author Topic: A Fox Among Wallabies; Kaedwen's Approach to Achkaerin  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
A Fox Among Wallabies; Kaedwen's Approach to Achkaerin
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
Lindsay Stewart; Peakhurst Lodge, Belmeont, Republic of Kaedwen

Peakhurst Lodge was the formal residence of the Kaedweni Premier, set up in the hills overlooking the Kaedweni capital; a demure construction by the standards of Mundus' myriad rulers, the cream-coloured verandas overlooked a modest decking area - complete with open-air pool shining aquamarine in the sun - and small garden set on a lower tier, downhill from the main house. A dozen or so similar lodges dotted the surrounding hillside, set amongst a semi-civilized bushveld interspaced with groves of domestic fruit trees. The site offered a beautiful vista: the glass towers of downtown Belmont glittering in the soft sunshine, while the rollers broke with a distant (or, possibly, just imagined) crash of the ribbon of golden sand just beyond. Out on the crystal-clear Krimeon, a dozen or so brightly coloured sails flitted back-and-forth as a group of kite surfers made the most of the Saturday morning quiet; by mid-morning on a bank holiday weekend, both beach and sea would be thronged.

But this was not time to dwell on such things. Unfortunately, business of state did not, apparently, take bank holidays.

Lindsay sat on a plastic deck chair by the pool, flanked by two of her most trusted ministers: the Foreign Minister Koos Biermann on her left and, to her right, her Defence Minister, Tristan Sharp. None exactly dressed for business, Koos was still rubbing the little streaks of sun cream into his youthful face. Tristan, long years spent in the sun and already beginning to resemble a walnut, had no truck whatsoever with such things.

"Right boys" She began, once the other two seemed to have settled down "This KAM drama, what's the issue?"

"So..." Koos began leisurely, stretching out his long limbs "The folks at KAM got caught with their pants down pretty hard. From what we've been able to gather, the raid was was actually carried out by security forces - well, wearing the right uniforms, at least - so the working theory is that these missing people are in government hands, but we've nothing we can release publicly to prove it. To be honest, I'm thinking there's a little more going on here whatever; if this was a straightforward police operation, then they'd have no reason not to make it public"

"So you've had no luck tracing the missing?" Lindsay queried. This was aimed more at Tristan, whose intelligence services had been attempting to do precisely that.

"None yet" He shook his head, clipping the words with his heavy Afrikaner accent "To be honest with you, we'd need to get far more involved with this that I'm entirely happy with if we're serious about finding these people. I've spoken with some of the guys working on the case, and their hunch is that this has Nguessa's fingerprints all over it. I'd bet there's a trail of dirty money out there somewhere, but there'd be some pretty serious ramifications if we found out where it goes"

"That's troubling" Lindsay furrowed her brow. It was already too hot to be thinking, but the pool would have to wait. Koos had already kicked his thongs off, and was clearly itching to dive in himself "But I don't think we can really afford not to. Not now" The elections had already been postponed in the aftermath of 2018's crisis, and early polling indicated that a very close race with the Democratic Party was in the offing. With the Kaedweni stock market barely recovering from the crisis, and her administration having already taken flack for being too soft already, all present were well aware that doing nothing wasn't much of an option for Lindsay "So... if this is what your guys think it is, what could we potentially do about it Tris?"

"As much as I might wish it were true" Tristan smiled to himself "We're not Achkaerin, East Moreland or Rokkenjima, so kicking down the front door and giving these filthy natives the what-for isn't something we can even really consider. If - and I emphasis the if - we had sufficient justification, then we could deploy our armed forces to tip the balance in favour of a suitable replacement, though the military and political risks of doing so would be, well, you don't need to me spell it out for you. I'd far rather we find out where these people have gone first, then figure out some way of getting them back. To face a Kaedweni court, if necessary. It's no great secret some of the stuff they get up to over there ain't so great. I mean, there's every chance they'll turn up of their own accord, can't afford to jump the gun on something like this"

"Got to say" Koos interjected, nonchalantly slipping a toe into the cool water "I'm with Tris on this one. Know some folk think smashing the natives makes for good optics, but can't say I'm keen to be involved with something like that without good reason. Look, I think it's worth enlisting some friends if we're even going to consider moving on this. Remember, we did have a note to solicit a state visit from the old man anyway, could always bring it up then?"

"Not a bad shout" Lindsay agreed, with a little nod "Could do worse, for sure"

And a bad shout it wasn't. After another ten minutes of idle chatter, in fact, it was the best shout of the morning before the heat got too much and the pool too tempting. Tristan left to go fishing without saying much more of consequence, and was barely through the gate before Koos splashed loudly into the water. Lindsay wasn't too far behind.

Later, much later, the pair drew up a missive for dispatch to the Emperor of Achkaerin.

Republic of Kaedwen Diplomatic Communique

To His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Peter Azurewind of Achkaerin,

Greetings, your Majesty, may this find you well. As you may already have noted, a week on Monday will mark three years to the day since our shores were last graced by Achkaerinese royalty, a flying visit by the Prince Simon Azurewind and the Countess of Elsion in the spring of 2017 which was regretably cut shorter than many of us would have wished due to the demands of the time. The intervening years have seen some trying times for both our nations, and I feel that the present moment would be an appropriate juncture for another visit.

Therefore, I would like to invite you to undertake a state visit to Kaedwen, a nation of which you remain the formal protector, in order to reaffirm the bond between our nations, discuss the continuing relationship between your people and ours, and to take the opportunity to discuss the course of current affairs.

Humbly yours,

Lindsay Stewart,
Premier of the Republic of Kaedwen

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: A Fox Among Wallabies; Kaedwen's Approach to Achkaerin
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:39 PM »

To Premier Lindsay Stewart of the Republic of Kaedwen,

It has been many years since I've set foot in Kaedwen, a nation that Achkaerin historically at least has a firm bond with. I also believe that the relationship between our nations should be reaffirmed, my son has told me of how Kaedwen has developed and I'm intrigued to see it for myself. It would be an honour to visit, I'm due to depart East Moreland following the marriage of my good friend King David so I along with some of my family will travel to Kaedwen for the state visit before heading home. I look forward to a mutually enjoyable and beneficial visit.

Respectfully yours

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:23 PM »
Lindsay Stewart; National Memorial Arboretum, Belmont District, Kaedwen

It was another sunny spring day in Belmont - many of them were - though a brisk breeze blowing in off the sea kept the heat from becoming oppressive. Koos was in attendance again, though Tristan was not, and both he and Lindsay were rather more dressed for the occasion than they had been when drafting their communique. A gaggle of pressmen had formed outside the gate, held back by a thin cordon of police, while the polished steel of the Dragoon Guards' cuirasses shone in the sun as the honour guard fell in just beyond.

The National Memorial Arboretum - the "home among the gum trees", as it was rather euphemistically known in certain quarters of the Kaedweni forces - was a partially domesticated park a short distance outside the capital, set aside as a permanent memorial to the fallen from Kaedwen's wars. The original plot actually pre-dated Kaedweni independence, having been established in 1920 in the then Achkerinese Dominion of Kaedwen, and the entrance was flanked by a pair of slightly larger-than-life Kaedweni soldiers of the period, standing guard in khaki battledress with bayonets fixed.

Lindsay had chosen to receive the Emperor here for a few reasons. First, she'd take a walk in the sunshine over being stuck in the office any day of the week, and the Arboretum had plenty of ground to cover, and plenty to see for that matter. And plenty of poignancy, too, for many of the monuments nestled in amongst the red gums commemorated the fallen of the World Wars, where the Kaedweni diggers had fought side-by-side with their Achkaerinese allies through many dark days. It also helped that it would be good optics for Peter to be seen to pay respects to his oft-overlooked - or so the feeling was for some - fallen subjects, and good optics for Lindsay to be seen to encourage this.

To this end, a group from 1st Battalion, the Royal Kaedwen Regiment, awaited by the Digger memorial, up atop its own little ridge overlooking the rest of the grounds, where they would lay a wreath and Peter could take a chance to interact with the group, which included a mix of serving personnel, cadets and veterans associated with the battalion. This would give their walk a little direction, and, hopefully, set the tour off on the right note.

They weren't waiting long; a convoy of diplomatic cars had collected the Emperor and his entourage from Belmont International Airport an hour before, allowing Lindsay and Koos to stride sublimely through the gateway as the Emperor's car drew up. Right on queue, the Dragoon Guards' band struck up, and the cuirassiers snapped smartly to attention, ceremonial sabers flashing brilliantly in the sun.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
As the door of the diplomatic car opened the band struck up the Achkaerinese National Anthem as outstepped first the Achkaerinese Emperor Peter Azurewind wearing a standard suit, he smiled today was going to be a good day, he helped his wife Renee who wore nice purple outfit out of the car before two of his granddaughter's five year old Astrid and seven year old Lisa bounded out of the car both of them dressed in typical children's clothes though plain was the order of the day. Lastly came the Emperor's daughter Crown Princess Serenity. Wearing a red summer dress she also had a black satchel bag slung over her shoulder, she beckoned her two daughters to her when the youngsters started to look inquisitively at some of the soldiers on parade, that and Serenity was worried that the mischievous streak in her daughters might lead to trouble.

Peter saw the Premier and the Foreign Minister approaching and took a step forwards.

"Premier Stewart. Minister Biermann" Peter said shaking first her hand then his "It's very nice to be here, quite how I've gone so long without visiting personally I have no idea. A very fitting venue as well." he paused for a moment "May I introduce my family my wife Renee, my daughter Serenity and her two daughters Astrid and Lisa."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:37:28 PM »

"Your Imperial Majesties" Lindsay smiled broadly as the introductions were made, partially for the cameras, though she was genuinely rather excited by the occasion "It's a pleasure to have you, I do hope you'll enjoy your stay here!"

"Your Imperial Majesties" Koos echoed amidst the pleasantries. The young princesses weren't something they'd bargained for - never work with children or animals, as they said - but, despite, or perhaps because of, his ladykiller reputation, Koos didn't actually consider himself terrible with kids "A pleasure, truly"

Once everyone was suitably convinced that everything was, indeed, very nice, and the Royal daughters had been corralled away from the stone-faced Dragoons, Lindsay led the little party along the freshly-swept gravel path through the Arboretum, sloping gently upwards towards the Digger Memorial. They passed on either side a handful of smaller memorials and dedications, ranging from weather-worn marble depictions of Imperial troopers of the nineteenth-century, through the monolithic battle and corps memorials of the Great War, to the more modern arrangements in honour of the fallen of Kaedwen's more recent conflicts. Those from the Bush Wars were more demure, bearing the names of people and places little-known outside Kaedwen, while the dedications from the 2018 Emergency were poignantly contemporary, including a section of austere Alaska barriers graffitied with the names of one unit's fallen.

The air of the place, despite this, was light rather than macabre. The sun shone brightly through the trees, birds chirped cheerily and the sea breeze kept the morning air fresh. Lindsay tactically positioned herself beside the Emperor, cornering him whilst Koos distracting the Royal women with his recently-acquired knowledge of the various memorials, as well as his all-to-genuine passion for the plants and animals around them. The park's small population of koalas were a particular hit; Koos was in his element.

Presently, Lindsay spotted her chance to broach a burning topic in a natural and entirely uncontrived[1] manner.

"So" She suggested, nonchalantly "Has your Majesty been following the situation in Merina?"

1. Slightly glossing over the fact that I'm not feeling quite articulate at this moment in time (half 10 is late for me apparently!) to work out how this would actually look, but you get the picture

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:03:23 PM »
Peter nodded after Lindsay had inquired about Merina.

"Yes my Vice Consul colourfully referred to it as a 'right mess' when I asked her about it." Peter said "It strikes me as a powder keg that's got the potential to ignite in a most dangerous fashion and frankly from what I understand of the different factions involved are as bad as each other in the way we appear, a brutal dictator clinging on to power, a pretender in Bemba who might be too close to Nguessa, Muamba's got numbers but not much support away from his base, the Free State holds the resources but profit or moral? And then of course there's Ike Ezana, a man with a grudge but a strong cause. it's a very tricky situation to navigate to say the least. At the moment we're factfinding and approaching some of the factions so that we can if it becomes necessary intervene though I hope it doesn't come to that."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »

"She wasn't far wrong in that assessment" Lindsay nodded, solemnly "Though, unfortunately, it's not something we're really able to ignore. In fact, we're quite keen to get the whole thing resolved sooner rather than later. I think it's quite clear by now that Nguessa's position is untenable, and he'll not be much missed, but we're worried about what happens next. Say what you want about him, there's a lot of people he's stopped from killing each other over the years"

"That's why" She continued "The feeling here is that Bemba has to be our man. He's not a good man, not by our standards, but our hope is he's good enough for the task at hand. It's survival of the fittest down there, and they need a strong leader, one we can work with, and the ODI are convinced we can work with him. Though, to be entirely candid, I'd be entirely happy to keep him at arm's length, the reality of the situation is there's not going to be a nice solution, whatever the FMA say"

((OOC: Apologies for this taking basically a month to write; I might be crap at diplomacy threads, but I'm well practaced in procrastination :P ))

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
"I tend to agree that the FMA's pipe dream will likely not be realized, well certainly not anytime soon." Peter said "Nguessa to all intents is the legitimate government which unfortunately gives him weight and if he attracts support then dealing with the situation gets even messier, removing him won't be elegant it'll be messy and may require more than one method. Achkaerin's approach at the moment may compliment yours quite well, we're looking to give the Pindar region support in the hope that we can at least deter Nguessa from a continued offensive in that area, if we can control where Nguessa can strike then things get a lot easier or so my military advisors say, we're hoping to combine that with discrediting Nguessa's regime, if he lacks for support and if we find a smoking gun or two then his position as head of state becomes irrelevant.

Merina is going to need someone who can hold the country together and after we take Nguessa out of the equation, it's Bemba but if he is to be the future of that country and he does have popular support, then he's got to be worked rather carefully. But would Bemba negotiate on Pindari independence? That's the unknown here because any move, any solution is going to need some sort of working agreement. But yes if it's Bemba in the end then we need to work him carefully and keep him well at arms length as you say."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »

"In that case" Lindsay considered "Would you be willing to consider a degree of... coordination, cooperation, even, with regards to policy on Merina? I reckon our people would quite enjoy a good conversation with yours on this, and vice versa, if you catch my gist"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
"I'm sure that can be arranged just let us know when your people would like that conversation." Peter said nodding "I think coordination and cooperation where possible are things that our nations should look at across a fair amount of fields, whether it be on policy such as Merina or innovative ideas in scientific fields, I believe we both know that there's an awful lot we can help each other with as friends, is that something that would interest you?"

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »

"Then we shall make it so" Lindsay smiled "If you're still listening, Koos?"

"Of course, of course" Her Foreign Minister smiled back, breaking off from his conversation with the Royal women, notebook suddenly in hand "I'll call Woolworth later on, let them know"

"But with regards to scientific cooperation" Lindsay queried, directing her attention back to the Emperor "I do like the idea, in principle, but what precisely do you have in mind?"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
"We have several options in that regard." Peter said "For example Achkaerin has standing agreements with Seaforth and Nya Aland to train their astronauts, we also have an agreement with Seaforth to cooperate in the scientific exploration of the deep. And of course we have a solid history of scientific cooperation with Dijel some of citizens of which I understand have made their homes in Kaedwen.

Now that may be getting a little specific but what I'm interested in establishing here on a more general level is a partnership between our nations across multiple areas something that acknowledges not only our shared history but also reflects the continuing relationship today."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 05:12:02 PM »

"This kind of partnership you're grasping at is something we can agree on" Lindsay responded "In terms of specifics, though, I'm afraid to say my government can hardly countenance spending on such excitement as astronauts or undersea exploration. We'd be more interested in making a reciprocal agreement for Kaedweni and Achkaerinese universities, with a view to encouraging research partnerships between the two"

"Don't forget the DRE" Koos put in, from behind "The Director was quite keen"

"He was" Lindsay chuckled, before continuing "Yeah, as a fop to the excitable folks, we do have an institution called the Defence Research Establishment who're quite interested in working with some of your people. They work mostly on boys' toys, but occasionally they do useful things, too. The old Biological Warfare lab's been turned over to do work for the Health Service, and they do some work for Civil Defence. Could they be of any interest to you?"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »
"I'm sure they could." Peter said "We've got enough gadget heads and imaginative types across several companies that I'm sure a mutually beneficial relationship could be established there. I suggest that the Defence Research Establishment could talk to the likes of Riviere Corporation, AADC, McKinlay Naval Solutions or the ARC if they want able partners across the spectrum but it does depend on what they're looking at developing. I don't think it'll be too difficult to establish a university research partnership either. Though we should perhaps get some of this down on paper" he wiped his brow, the sun was still beating down normally Peter would think it was the heat but these days he had to consider whether it could be his MS which he really hoped it wasn't. "I don't suppose there's a table around here we could sit down at is there?"

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »

"I'll be sure to pass on the recommendation" Lindsay nodded "Though, as a public-sector organisation, there's certain limits on what they can do private-public wise. With any luck, we've still got someone taking notes. Koos?"

"Still going!" Koos chuckled from behind "We'll have a nice version typed up for when we get back to Belmont this afternoon"

"Hmm... it is a little warmer than I'd anticipated today" Lindsay picked up, looking at the sweating Emperor with a slightly concerned expression "No table... but there's some benches in the shade of the gums over there, perhaps we should rest a moment. Call Captain Price and tell him to stand down his lads up at the memorial, could you Koos? Get them out of the sun for a bit, if they're not already, we'll be up a little later"

Koos nodded in agreement, and the RKR contingent up at the top of the hill were stood down for a break while the royal party were settled on the benches in the shade of a grove of gum trees. Koos gave her a nudge, smirking at the sign which had been affixed to one - 'beware the drop bears' it read, along with a little caricature of a koala dropping on an unwary head - before the two Kaedwenis joined them.

"Is there anything you'd like to ask of us?" She asked in a conversational tone "I feel like I've been doing a little bit too much talking. I hear my own voice far too much in this line of work as it is"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
"Well there are a couple of things." Peter said smiling "One is a little delicate, the other a little more fun I hope. The delicate one is that as you probably know Achkaerin has a track record of being involved in various crises across Mundus. The ability to be able to get supplies and assets into a crisis zone quickly is something we consider a priority in things such as humanitarian operations, the great disaster that befell the UNP taught us that lesson, though we had the personnel on the ground reasonably quickly getting supplies there took longer to organize and we were hindered greatly by an ash cloud from an erupting volcano that ruled out air traffic. So what we now do is much like our friends in East Moreland we use Global Pre Positioning Ships the theory goes that spreading these ships across Mundus means that we can mobilize aid supplies very quickly should a crisis occur. In order for that to work we need friends who are happy to put up with an Achkaerinese supply ship hanging around. So what I'd like to ask initially is whether Kaedwen would be prepared to accommodate one of these vessels."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »

"That is not an unreasonable request" Lindsay considered "While it might be... politically insensitive, in the current climate, for us to accommodate foreign warships, I see no substantial basis to oppose such a measure. Would such a vessel require any specific infrastructure shoreside? While we've a pair of more sizable vessels due for retirement in the not too distant future, the I don't believe the ROKN have ever possessed a vessel quite so large. That said, our commercial infrastructure should be more than adequate, if you'd be happy to base this ship out of a commercial port, rather than a specifically military base"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
"I'm sure we can make do with wherever you feel most appropriate to base it." Peter said smiling "Whether it be a commercial port or military base, I'm not going to make insistence one way or the other, it's not in my interests to after all if I insist in basing at a port that hinders its efficiency I'm simply shooting myself and the Achkaerinese navy in the foot. All it requires really is a decent sized clear area at the dockside for loading and unloading." he paused "Serenity you're up." his voice carried to his daughter who walked over as Peter turned back to Lindsay "I hope you don't mind but she's the brains behind the other idea." 

"In very simple terms Premier." Serenity said "Just over a year ago I set up the Legacy Foundation for Achkaerinese soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Part of that foundation is Legacy Sport, which is exactly what it sounds like helping wounded soldiers through sport. Before we travelled over here we were in East Moreland where my Dad discussed with King David the idea of an international sports event sort of like a mini Mundus Games for wounded soldiers sort of like what East Moreland has done at their Ostlake Games but on a bigger scale and rather than it being which regiment or legion or whatever grouping we're using that you compete for you compete for your nation. I'm planning on seeing the first one take place in Achkaerin later in the year and we'd like to extend to you the opportunity to have Kaedwen compete."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »

"If it may be a commercial location" Lindsay decided "Then probably best it is so, since the infrastructure exists to support it" Then she turned to the Princess' point: "I think that is a most admirable cause" She agreed "Fortuitously, far fewer of Kaedwen's brave soldiers have been killed or wounded in action in recent years than once was the case, though I am sure the RKL would be honoured to find some volunteers to represent this little red country of ours"

"The RKL" Koos put in, helpfully "Being the Royal Kaedweni Legion - think of it as a semi-formal association of former Kaedweni servicemen and women. They'll be game for this kind of thing, no doubt about it. In fact, you'll be meeting some of them later on, I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas in person"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 10:22:27 PM »
"I look forward to it." Serenity said smiling, it was perhaps her biggest project in a couple of years, most of her previous ones had been youth orientated and while that was still on her priority list this was something close to the heart as well. With a little bit of luck the first instalment would be a four nation affair and then branched out in subsequent years.

Peter meanwhile sighed a little as he cooled down and got his energy back, it wasn't lost on him at all that Serenity was returning to the role of Achkaerin's primary diplomatic figure, there was a sort of inevitability about that considering his MS diagnosis. He looked over at Lindsay "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss at this point?" he asked