Author Topic: The Island Eye (Medusalin News)  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Medusalin
The Island Eye (Medusalin News)
« on: September 01, 2023, 12:24:37 AM »
31st August 2023
10f

QUEEN RECOVERS FROM ILLNESS. RETURN TO WORK "IMMINENT"

Last summer Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth IV was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome, a medical condition where the bodies own immune system turns against itself. The condition while serious is treatable however patients usually are under the care of doctors for around a year. Today the Bayer Families official spokesman, Pierre Littheim, announced that the Queen has been officially cleared by her doctors and is keen to return to her work of running the nation. The condition saw the Queen in and out of hospital to receive treatment and at times she required a feeding tube. During this time the Kingdom was being run by Crown Prince Theodor with support from his father Duke Miks Hummelberg and his sister Princess Constance. The 23 year old Prince will on Monday however hand full control of the nation back to his mother. The Crown-Prince confirmed this while visiting the Throne Castle where his mother has currently been convalescing. His Highness spoke briefly with press stating clearly "My mother is someone who is committed to hard work. She has been climbing the walls the past few months waiting for her condition to reach a point where she can undertake all her duties with the passion and energy she has always given us. I've had a small taste of what she does on a day to day basis and while I know sadly I'll have to do so again I will be offering prayers at Temple tomorrow it is not for a very long time. I've made mistakes this past year or so and despite my father and sisters advice have not made the most of opportunities presented to the Kingdom. I will sit down and discuss such things with mother and I am confident she will educate me in my failings and ensure I, and more importantly, the Kingdom emerge stronger."

A short written statement has been released by the Queen stating "I thank the people of Medusalin for their patience and their love. It is ironic that an island with a history such as ours hasn't coped better with one person being ill. This was a situation we have never truly faced in the modern era and we can, like always, learn from the lessons of the past. I now can't wait to get back to doing what I love, representing the people of our island. I hope to see you all soon."

Doctors say that while there is no cure for Guillain-Barré syndrome the vast majority of patients with the condition have one major episode in their lifetime and that the condition can be managed with little to no impact on a persons life. The Queens blood will be tested regularly, most patients with the syndrome are tested twice a year and levels of white blood cells monitored to ensure they are within safe levels. Experts say only 1 in 8 patients ever experience another attack and in those case it is usually less severe. The condition is not genetic so there is no risk of the Queen's children being infected. One leading doctor stated, "Our island need not worry that we will see other cases. This is the first case I've ever seen in my career and statistically it should be the last. Her Majesty has sadly been very unlucky but she has had wonderful care by the best professionals we have here. I think we've a great number of years left to celebrate her reign."

Dr. Hans Marliebe, Voice of the Gorgons for the Central Island District, is one of three leading religious figures for the Gorgonist faith and has urged Temples to mark the news across the nation tomorrow. "In the beginnings of our history of an island our people feared any illness, it was a death sentence and life here was short. Thanks to the skill, dedication and courage of medical professionals seeking out wisdom from the Gorgons we can today ensure thats not the case. In the past they called our homeland the Isle of Doom. Today we have had excellent news that our land have conquered another disease. Lets rejoice, give thanks and enjoy our weekly worship as we celebrate that our Keeper of the Triform, Queen Elisabeth, returns to us ready to once more guide us on the path to a better world." Some Temples have already announced that their weekly collection of donations of foods and money will be donated to good causes connected to medical care as a way of giving thanks.

The Queen has yet to announce what her first royal duty will be on her return however Princess Constance has confirmed her final duty as a kind of "caretaker" of the nation will be to officially re-open schools after their summer break. The 19 year old Princess will for the first time in her life not be attending a school having graduated in the summer. Traditionally the College of the Three opens the first Friday in September for new students training to be Priests and no other school in the Kingdom is supposed to begin classes until this has been opened. Princess Constance will give a speech welcoming new students and present each with a traditional quill and ink well as she welcomes the class of 122 to the College. The Princess has yet to confirm what she will be doing now she has completed compulsory education. Traditionally royal women have completed a period of service within a caring profession while males complete military service, normally within the Guards Regiment. Crown Prince Theodor has confirmed he will return to the regiment in the new year once his mother is fully returned. 

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Medusalin
Re: The Island Eye (Medusalin News)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 09:42:20 PM »
15th October 2023
10f

NEW VAPING LAWS TO COME INTO EFFECT NEXT MONTH

Queen Elisabeth IV has today passed the "Vaping Control Act" recommended by the National Assembly. The new act will bring into force various laws designed to halt what has been described as a "Vape Epidemic" within the Kingdom. A recent survey suggested that around 20% of all Medusians aged between 11-18 had tried vaping with 15.5% of people aged between 14-23 describing themselves as either "daily" or "regular" vapers. The Minister of Health, Dr.Madeline Janger, stated "While the numbers in themselves are disturbing the recent research carried out by the Ministry and various other agencies is frightening. We found that not only were the numbers of vapers increasing we also found the amount people vaped also increased. Studies by our labs also found that the average strength of vaping products had also increased as too had the use of what could best be described as sub-standard and dangerous products. We have also sadly seen companies actively target children with these products. Companies are producing liquid capsules that resemble the packaging of children's favourite sweet products and boast flavours such as "Tutti Frutti", "Tangy Pineapple" and the most popular one "Mango Magic", we've also found that designs of so called "Throw Away" vapes include those looking like USB sticks and even highlighters, thus allowing children to secretly take them to school. So far we've seen around 1000 children this year face some form of punishment by schools for taking vapes into school and using them." The Minister said that current rules preventing the sale of tobacco products to those under 18 had been inadequte in the face of an "ever changing landscape of vaping."

The new laws will make the minimum age for buying any tobacco product 21 and that a valid ID must be presented regardless of the appearance of the buyer. Any outlet found to not be doing this will face a 1000 Farthing ($1000) fine in the first instance with each future offence seeing the fine doubled. Other rules include that all vapes must be sold in plain white packaging which may only contain black text bearing the name of the product, its size and company information, in addition all boxes must include on their outside a health warning. The vapes themselves must be recyclable either by being placed in national recycling scheme bins or through a product return scheme. All vapes must also be of a minimum physical size and either black, grey or white. There will also be a limit placed on the strength of liquids used inside vapes. Finally the sale of vapes by post will not be permitted. The new legislation was largely drawn up by Yuri Thomassa of the Island Unity Party and upon hearing of the Queen's signature, just twelve hours after being presented the proposal, said "It is our hope these new measures will make the product seem less attractive to young people and harder to get hold of by children. We do not wish to totally ban vaping but it was considered. I believe use of products like vaping can offer those struggling to quit regular smoking a useful tool but I think a line has been crossed and now we must ensure that our nation does not allow our children to cause lasting damage to their still growing bodies."

Mr. Mika Holbe is the CEO of National Tobacco Alliance, a consortium of businesses that produce various tobacco related products. "Today we are concerned that we are being targetted unfairly. We have worked within the laws of the land to produce a product that is scientifically proven to be less harmful to the consumer than cigarettes. We have complied with all laws about advertising, supply and safety. The market is saturated by illegally produced products often sold under the counter and todays laws make it more likely that young people will seek these out rather than products made by responsible manufacturers like ourselves. We are proud that our vaping products have helped thousands, if not millions, give up the more harmful cigarettes and our research shows that many of these people later even give up vaping. People though should be free to make decisions about their own consumption. We believe alcohol is very much more harmful that tobacco and we see no laws restricting their trade."

The new laws come into force on the 1st November 2023 and police and judges have been told that after that date their is to be no "Honeymoon Period" in terms of enforcing the laws.