Author Topic: Rhythm Of Life  (Read 4698 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Rhythm Of Life
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Rhythm Of Life

Sazame Hatake, the 'prodigy' Maiden Sister, still young and yet possessing the understanding of three out of five elements that make up the Rhythm of Life, she could be the first since the founding member of the order to master all five, yet everything about her may well be a lie- she doesn't even know her real name; all she does know is that her father was Achkaerinese and her mother was Toshikawan, so from the city of her birth Gowu and with the help of her closest friends Ran Mitarashi, Aria Kanzaki and others as well as her teacher Jin Fuma, Sazame goes in search of her past, what will she find and how will she deal with what she learns?

Old Thread

Table of Contents

Once In A Lifetime
Deliberations
A New Lead
Hope Is Born
On the Wind and a Prayer
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:42:25 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Rhythm Of Life
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Once In A Lifetime

Jin Fuma stood on the wall of Brianna Immensi otherwise known as the Gowu Monastery, otherwise known as the Samurai re-education school. He'd known that this day was going to come but he hadn't expected it for a few more years, the High Priestess of the Cult of Namis was dead and now it was down to him, the other Alha and the Oracle to decide on a successor, all of those people were on their way which meant that an unusual air of formality had sprung up within the monastery, gone were the usual casual clothes among the students and Maiden Sisters, replaced by the formal robes, not that Jin wore anything other than his Alha robes which in short were a cream under layer and brown cloak.
"They're here" someone said, Jin turned and smiled at his best student Sazame Hatake wearing a red robe lined with black.
"You struck out on finding Ren didn't you?" Jin asked
"Yes." Sazame said "But we're not giving up on that."
"Well we'd best go and do the usual." Jin said

Jin and Sazame made their way down to the courtyard where Jin's fellow two Alha were waiting, between them the three men made up a significant body within the leadership of the Cult, he shook first the hand of William Nielsen and then Robert Bridges, then after the two men had made their way inside he allowed himself a smile as the final member of the group was arriving - the Oracle Temari Fuma, Jin's eldest daughter. She came with her Gatekeeper and sister Aki. Both of his girls hugged Jin in turn he didn't get much time to see them these days, something they were working on.

"Will you both stay when this is done?" Jin asked "I'd like to have some time to spend with you."
"You bet." Temari said "Shall we go?"
"I guess." Jin said

Jin and Temari entered what was the Monastery's temple area it looked more like a meeting room now than a temple but that was because of what was to be discussed - there was a single round table with four chairs around it. Sazame followed Jin and Temari in with Aki at her side.
"Honored Alha's, most honored and revered Oracle." Sazame said "As is our custom present your badges of office." Each of the four people present for the discussion showed the back of their hand each of them wore a signet ring of their office within the Cult "So noted the quorum is set. May your discussions be fruitful."

Sazame and Aki left the room as the four got to work, once outside Sazame locked the door to the temple and Aki took her place as the guard, until there was a decision no one was allowed to disturb the meeting.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
Deliberations

They'd been at it for over a day the four of them discussing and debating, not that it was uncommon for it to take this long, they had to sift through three different shortlists - each of the three Alha in advance looked at the records kept on Priestess's and drew up a list of potential candidates, the first task was to see if there were any common factors which there usually were and such was the case on this occasion and then it was about the ones that had only been chosen by one person but they were getting there slowly, the list getting smaller by the conversation.

"How many have we got left?" Robert Bridges asked
"Three" William Nielsen said "Well we've managed to knock a fair number out at least."
"Who's left?" Robert asked
"Temari?" Jin Fuma asked looking at his eldest daughter the Oracle of the Cult of Namis

"Melinda Jones is proposed by William, Rowena Braithwaite is proposed by Robert." Temari said consulting the documents still on the table as the three men paced around the edges of the room "Alexis Minette is proposed by Jin."
"This has happened for a while." William said "Usually there's a candidate that we can all agree on but here we stand the final three and no consensus."
"Rowena's a traditionalist she knows the scripture, she knows the tenets she knows the doctrine and she's career wise if we're to be frank about it the best positioned but she's been in the Priesthood a long time and with all that wisdom and experience comes a firm set of values" Jin said "Melinda is more open, highly regarded she's capable but can she connect with others outside the faith? I feel like both of these two are living in bubbles."
"So why Alexis?" Robert asked
"Because she's unconventional." Jin said "If we choose her she will have something that no other High Priestess has ever had. William you were the junior Alha the last time this decision was made, we're in a different world now aren't we? We need someone who can speak with other faith leaders."
"Which is why surely someone well versed in the doctrine is required." Robert said

"And if she wasn't so ivory tower I'd agree." Jin said "The fact is that anyone so well versed in doctrine who knows nothing but doctrine is like a good diagnostician but a diagnostician does not a doctor make."
"So you're saying Rowena is too well qualified?" Temari asked
"Yes." Jin said "We're at a crossroads, we need to ask ourselves what our faith is about, remember the tenets and then look at the candidates and decide who fits them best."
"Gentlemen I believe we're at that time." Temari said "Please return to your seats and cast your votes."

One by one William, Robert and Jin sat, each of them taking a pen and a piece of card no bigger than a business card then together they wrote a single name on the card and placed it face down on the table. Temari glanced at each of the three men in turn making sure they were ready.
"Please reveal your votes." Temari said, the three turned over their cards and all four read the outcome, Temari breathed a sigh of relief because there was an outcome if there had been a tie she would have had the casting vote and that came with a load of controversial arguments within the Cult itself "William?"
"Yes?" William asked
"Let it be entered into the Cult's Chronicles that on this day this council made this decision." Temari said
"Who's going to tell her?" Robert asked
"I will contact her myself." Temari said "As is our custom."
"I will begin the preparations for the Anointing Ceremony." Jin said "Of course once I've had time with my daughters."
"Aki unlock the door!" Temari shouted

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:02:00 AM »
A New Lead

It had been a quiet few months at Brianna Immensi, the monastery now functioned more like a village than a school and progress was being made towards reintegrating the reformed Samurai class back into society, though this was being taken with the approach of baby steps in other words nice, slow and careful. Once more the monastery's inner courtyard echoed to the sound of clashing swords as Sazame Hatake, the driving force behind the work going on at the monastery and Juhani Soga sparred, this was the discipline of the Maiden Sisters 'to become a thing is to know a thing' now obviously this wasn't a Harry Potter novel or a superhero story so simply transforming into a rock or fire wasn't possible, instead the Maiden Sisters spent years studying certain elements, the basic building blocks of nature, the chakra's and then through the discipline of the sword came to understand that element.

"You're much improved." Sazame said as she parried away a flurry of attacks from Juhani "Though last time we did this you were just out of the hospital wing."
"Thanks." Juhani said
"Just one thing." Sazame said, she swung in with a few more thrusts before sweeping Juhani's legs from under her "You need to do more than just watch the sword, this is about feel and flow, anticipation and understanding."
"I know it's just hard to not watch how you handle that sword of yours." Juhani said from where she was now flat on her back.
"I'll make you do this blindfolded you know." Sazame said
"Ok ok I'll try not to look." Juhani said, Sazame smiled and helped her up.

"Sazame." the voice of Tama Saigo broke in on the conversatio, Sazame turned and saw Tama walking in to the courtyard
"What is it?" Sazame asked
"We may have a lead on Ren." Tama said, Sazame raised an eyebrow at that it was big news if it was true, Ren was Ren Nekhaga the son of Su Mai Nekhaga and a slight concern for a few people across not only national borders but also the cultural border of the Samurai class and this was all because of who Su Mai was - potentially the most dangerous woman in Mundus's history a woman who had twice sought to conquer and rule Toshikawa but had failed twice, both times incidentally at the hands of Sazame's father but that was beside the point. The point was that Su Mai had dropped off the face of Mundus, some thought she was dead, others that she was licking her wounds and plotting again, either way her son was the continuation of that legacy, a rallying point behind which Su Mai's traditional allies might try to re-form. For Sazame and all she was trying to do for the Samurai in terms of reforming the class to what it had traditionally been Ren Nekhaga represented a potential danger, a potential threat and most notably a potentially tempting alternative to those she was trying hard to help.

"Where is he?" Sazame asked
"Tsyong Valley, there's an old Buddhist temple in the mountain's there apparently that's where he is." Tama said
"That's old Soga clan territory." Juhani said
"You know it?" Sazame asked
"Yes." Juhani said "That temple is abandoned and isolated."
"Perfect hiding place." Tama said
"Ok just us three and your brother Juhani." Sazame said "How far by horse given it's cross country and in the mountains?"
"Three or four days from here." Juhani said
"Saddle up." Sazame said "Let's go and break this cycle."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
Hope Is Born

Tsyong Valley sat deep in Toshikawa, compared to most of the country this was a slightly more secluded area yet even the seclusion hadn't been protection enough against the various wars that dogged the nations history. The valley was home to a few villages and at the highest point an old fortress, it was this fortress where Sazame Hatake found herself, the place was deserted, blown apart, bullet holes punctuated the ancient stone walls and craters from mortars dotted the ground, such a shame to do something like that to somewhere so historic. She had her close friend Tama Saigo with her. Tama shook her head

"You'd think people would learn from history and not do stuff like this." Tama said
"When did Su Mai ever learn from history?" Sazame asked "She lost one war by being greedy and threw the second away on a mad revenge vendetta."
"True." Tama said
"Where's the temple from here?" Sazame asked
"Southern side of the valley" Tama said pointing it out "Just past that line of trees." it was at this point that the other two members of the group Sasuke Soga and his older sister Juhani joined them.
"Anything?" Sazame asked
"Locals say they've seen smoke coming from the temple." Sasuke said "Could be a campfire."
"Sounds like there's definitely someone up there." Tama said
"What are your odds Juhani?" Sazame asked
"I reckon Ren's over there, it's one of only a handful of places you could hide away safely that's not traditional Nekhaga turf." Juhani said "And we'd better get up there before gossip travels there."
"Agreed." Sazame said "It's your turf Juhani you lead."

It took them the best part of an hour to cover the distance to the temple, it was a very traditional building and unsurprisingly it was one left untouched by the wars, even the likes of Su Mai knew better than to anger the deeply held religious convictions of the people. Sasuke pushed the temple door open and the group of four entered, the only lighting in the temple coming from dimly lit torches on the wall.
"Interesting decor." Sazame said
"It's normally brighter than this." Sasuke said
"I'll bet it was brighter about half an hour ago." Juhani said
"Gotta say I agree with that." Sazame said "Barely lit like this it's perfect..."
"...For an ambush." Tama said
"Keep your guards up." Sazame said

Then it happened, a sudden gust of wind from one side and a sharp movement out of the corner of their eyes resulting in Sazame, Sasuke and Juhani ducking out of the way in three separate directions with the sound of clashing metal as the backdrop. The little torchlight that there was illuminated the scene Tama had locked blades with a young man around their age.

"Ren Nekhaga I presume." Tama said looking at the man
"What's it to you?" he asked
"We've been looking for you for a while." Tama said
"Who are you?" Ren asked
"I'm Tama Saigo, this is Juhani Soga, her brother Sasuke and that is Sazame Hatake." Tama said
"The girl who seeks to destroy the Samurai?" Ren asked
"No the girl who seeks to redeem them." Sazame said
"What are you doing here?" Ren asked
"Looking for you." Sazame said
"Out of concern or because of my mother?" Ren asked
"I didn't come here to kill you if that's what you're implying." Sazame said
"Then why did you come?" Ren asked
"To offer you the chance to come back with us." Juhani said
"You think you can redeem the Nekhaga name?" Ren asked "You don't know much about me."
"I don't need to." Sazame said "I know you're not your mother, I know you've done no wrong, this isn't about redeeming your clan's name. This is about you taking ownership of it. The days when war ravaged this nation we're standing in are over it's time everyone understood that."

Sazame approached Ren as Tama lowered her blade

"Come on help me build something that'll stand the test of time." Sazame said offering her hand
"If I refuse?" Ren asked
"Then we'll leave you in peace." Sazame said "But Toshikawa can't heal without all the clans coming together."

It wasn't lost on Tama, Juhani and Sasuke what this meant - Ren the son of Su Mai Nekhaga and Sazame the daughter of Kakashi Fuji, the two were the descendants of two significant opponents. So for Sazame to even offer the hand was something huge, but as Ren took it they couldn't avoid the smiles.

"Think we've got some hope now Sazame?" Tama asked
"Yes I do." Sazame said

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:41:52 PM »
On the Wind and a Prayer

It was a good, warm and breezy day in Gowu, the Maiden Sister's fortress and now better described as the sanctuary of the Samurai. In the courtyard of the fortress sword clashed on sword as Ran Miterashi and Ren Nekhaga sparred, Ren was still getting used to the way the day went in the fortress but he did like the ethos and the atmosphere. He'd been worried that being who he was would create tension but it seemed not to, perhaps it was because this new incarnation of the samurai was being pioneered by the younger generation for the most part or perhaps it was because Sazame and her inner circle were leading by example and accepted him. He groaned as Ran caught him off balance and tripped him, his sword ending up in the dust several metres away.
"Not bad." Ran said "You lasted a lot longer this time."
"Thanks." Ren said as Ran helped him up.

Standing on a balcony in the keep watching the sparring in the courtyard was Sazame Hatake she was cleaning one of her swords and smiling. With her was her father Kakashi Fuji, a seasoned fighter and a pretty revered figure in this part of Mundus.
"So that's Ren Nekhaga." Kakashi said "Su Mai's daughter."
"Yep." Sazame said
"All the years I spent hunting his mother." Kakashi said "And you make peace with that family so easily. I'm proud of you"
"The sins of the mother should not be visited on the child." Sazame said "If what we're doing here is to mean anything then it has to be about building a brighter future."
"Breaking the cycle of hate." Kakashi said nodding "Very good."
"We're starting to get our message through as well with a lot more ease." Sazame said

The door to the room opened and in stepped Sazame's sister Willow came in.
"We've got a problem." Willow said
"What is it?" Sazame asked
"Something's happened in Yoki Jima." Willow said "And it's worrying."
"Tell me." Sazame said
"The symbol of Su Mai was painted on the doors of the old Daimyo's house." Willow said "It's Ouchi territory."
"I'm guessing they're not the best of friends?" Sazame asked
"No the Ouchi used to be one of the big five clans alongside the Yoshimo, Taira, Miroma and Nekhaga's." Willow said "There's plenty of bad blood."
"What about the police?" Kakashi asked
"The Daimyo's always had responsibility for policing their own areas of influence it's one of the reforms that is needed." Willow said
"Things need to change." Sazame said "Ok we leave for Yoki Jima as soon as we can, me, you, Alaho, Sasuke, Juhani and Tama."