Author Topic: The MidAranye region factbook and discussion  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
The MidAranye region factbook and discussion
« on: August 18, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
Since this involves multiple players, please feel free to tell me if I miss something, want something added or removed (because you don’t agree with it etc).

The always changing (as nations come and go) map of MidAranye. Not all nations that appear on this map are part of MidAranye. The hopefully up to date list is here.

Geography: The region is not is not strictly and clearly defined, and it comprised roughly the “middle” of the Cotf Aranye continent. At present there are 9 countries which are part of the MidAranye region (but players are free to add their country to the region, as I said, it doesn’t have clear borders yet). I have a list of nations that “officially” belong to the MidAranye region and I try to keep it updated. Please note that for cultural reasons Abydos is added to the region but Rodina is not part of MidAranye. I haven't considered adding Libertais and Juyipia because they are inactive. 

Geopolitics: Royal Selecuid, Clysperis  and Tamora often mention MidAranye in their speeches and news so to some extent that could be considered the core of what the geo political Midaranye would be. Please note that doesn’t necessary mean all these nation get along perfectly with each other. These nations also tend to criticize “liberal values”, the “international order in Mundus” etc.

International organizations: Royal Seleucid, Clysperis and Tamora are part of OPEN (the Mundus equivalent of OPEC). OPEN has its HQ in Royal Seleucid. Aside from this, the nations of the region tend to not be part of international organizations (it depends on the nation but for example Tamora and Pramoria is not part of any) and tend to avoid signing international treaties (ex: Tamora ) of any kind. Again, each nation has its own particularities in this, but that is the overall picture. Altromine for example has signed MCUR.

Sanctions against MidAranye countries: because Tamora allows for chattel slavery under its laws, a lot of Mundus nations have sanctioned it.

Particularities:

-the region has a somewhat Middle Eastern feel (Tamora, Abydos, Royal Seleucid,Clysperis, Pramoria and  Altromine) but nations like  Safraen don’t. In Tamora+Pramoria (not mandated by law) and Abydos (mandatory for women regardless of citizenship) the hijab is widely used. Islam and Manism (which is an offsot from Islam) are the main religions of the region and make up about 55% of the religious  landscape. Clysperis is a continuation of ancient Egypt and still uses the religion of Ancient Egypt as does Altromine.
-governments here tend to be either absolute monarchies (Tamora, Royal Seleucid, Clysperis, Abydos, Pramoria).
-the region has a history of human rights abuses: Royal Seleucid (attempt at genocide against the Helusian religious minority in the country), , Tamora (chattel slavery), Clysperis (brutal executions of those convicted of serious crimes).
-Polygamy is quite common (it is legal in Tamora, Royal Seleucid, Abydos).
-The nations tend to be poorer than the average Mundus nation but rich in resources. Examples: oil and gas: Royal Seleucid, Clysperis, Altromine, Tamora, Pramoria. See here.
- Slavery has a long history and chattel slavery is still practiced in Tamora and Waddan while indentured servitude is legal in Royal Seleucid, Pramoria. There is speculation that Clysperis might also introduce it.

Population of the region: around 600 million people (at the time I am writing this). That might change as players come and go. I try to keep an updated list here.

Languages: the region is very diverse (like all of Mundus really) yet Parthian (PL: Persian)  is the most used language, with around 415 million speaking Parthian (around 70% of the region's population). Here is an incomplete list of the number of Parthian speakers in the region:

Religionhere is breakdown of religions. Please note that Manism has a lot of elements borrowed from Islam.

Spoiler:  notable nations that were part of MidAranye • show

Slava Lavosk was a MidAranye  country that was heavily sanctioned by the international community because of its treatment of the Tamoran minority in the country and for revealing to the world that they had nuclear weapons. Tamora and Slava Lavosk were at one time close to war. The country is no longer on the map. 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Cross border cooperation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
No longer valid since nations changed.

The VIDA triangle

The VIDA triangle is a region between the four below cities of Southern MidArnaye. The regions spans across three countries (Tamora, Pramoria and Royal Seleucid), has a population of approximately 50 million people and as one of the economic engines of MidAranye. The region has no special legal status but steps have been made by authorities to increase cross border cooperation in order to help improve and interconnect the infrastructure of the region across borders (by linking existing highways for example).

Volos 6 million (federated kingdom West Seleucid, Empire of Tamora)
Ipsus 4 milion (Emirate of Royal Seleucid)
Damarga 4 million (Kingdom of Pramoria)
Alaverdi  5 million ( federated kingdom of Attica, Empire of Tamora)
[/s]

The region was first mentioned here.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Reserved for major cross border events or other stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
Reserved for major cross border events or other stuff

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The MidAranye region factbook and discussion
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 09:08:45 PM »
updated the factbook (first post) including the map.

Please note that all this cooperative and open to discussion. I try to write down what has been agreed and RPed etc but I have no powers to force countries to belong to this geographical region or remove them. It's all done through consensus with the players of the region. Also, just like in RL there can be different interpretations so if a player nation does not want to recognize one or more nations as belonging to the region then that's their right.   

Feel free to provide criticism and feedback of any kind.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The MidAranye region factbook and discussion
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 06:13:08 PM »
Small update to the first post: I mentioned that Waddan has chattel slavery. I forgot about them.