Roleplay > Vignettes

The Celestial Throne (DEPRECATED)

(1/2) > >>

Daitō:
THE CELESTIAL THRONE   Prince, Pilot, Soldier, Leader. Eijirō, the reigning Emperor of Daitō, has held many roles throughout his life, serving his country dutifully for over a decade. This is his story, and the story of those who know him, from his family to his squadron, and from his youth into the modern day. NOTE: Posts will not be necessarily made in chronological order, however, they will be sorted in the index below.

Index
   • "On Alert" — 2017-02-26
   • "Sokui no Rei" — 2020-11-06
   • "Darkest of Days" — 2023-07-25
   • "The Prince and the Emperor" — 2023-11-25
   • "In These Time-honoured Halls..." — 2023-12-07
   • "The End of Aggression" — 2023-12-08
   •
   •
   •
   •
   •
   •

Daitō:
"Sokui no Rei"06 November, 2020
01:00 PM
Shinshiden Hall, Imperial Palace, Tenkyō

It was a cool, November afternoon in the old Imperial capital, Tenkyō. Still was the air, save a gentle breeze which let banners of many a vibrant color flutter in the wind. Not a voice could be heard, even as many stood in the courtyard, waiting silently for the moment that was soon to come. For today was no ordinary day; as was a time-honored tradition dating back millennia, albeit no doubt with some changes along the way, today, the transition between eras was to be made complete. Ignoring, of course, a few Emperors who had reigned twice, this was, per the history books, the 200th time that an Emperor had been enthroned, and so, on the eve of the Tenshi era, no expense had been spared for the event. It was a ceremony that occurred not only in celebration of a new era, but also a celebration of Daitō—no, Fusan—as a whole. Of course, Eijirō could scarcely see it through the veil which surrounded the Takamikura throne. For today was the completion of a personal journey, begun not merely on the 1st of May or even the 12th of March, 2018, but one which he had walked since the day was born. In a way, by a stroke of fate, all of his life had been leading up to this moment. Though he didn't personally believe in such things, it was as though his destiny had arrived.

To think, just three years prior, he was fighting for his life over the skies of Kalasin. He, a boy with a dream of flight, grounded now and forevermore. He, the cadet who had wanted so eagerly to serve his nation, now made to be its figurehead and guide. He, the pilot who had become his nation's first "ace" in over fifty years, now tasked with befriending those he had once been taught to scorn. He, who had so desired to walk with the people, now put on a pedestal as someone to admire. Everything was going to change, even his name. Soon enough, few would speak the name of his birth, of his old life. Soon, he would just be "His Majesty, the Emperor" and merely "Emperor". Even in death, he would not be known by his actual name, at least, not in his homeland. Abroad, he might still be called Eijirō, but here, out of respect to his position, he would be recorded as Emperor Tenshi. Such was tradition, and tradition was a powerful thing even if many underestimated it. The office of Emperor showed continuity, it was a position which commanded respect across all levels of society, and was a guiding light to the people in the darkest of times. Though it meant much would change, it was something that Eijirō was ready for. In a way, he had been groomed for the role since he was a boy, and now, it was time to take his place in history.

As footsteps slowly drew nearer, Eijirō knew that soon, it would be time. He glanced down to his sides, where on lacquered stands inlayed with gold leaf, two of the sacred treasures, as well as the state and privy seals, were placed. He would straighten his posture and firmly grip his shaku baton, made from wood of the Sakaki tree, as before him, the veil was slowly parted. To his left, out of the corner of his eye, a second throne sat, smaller but no less important, at least to him. Upon it sat his "partner", Mayumi, who had been granted special dispensation to be enthroned alongside him owing to the rather unique circumstances of their relationship. It had been a peculiar tradition among the Imperial family since the early 18th century, whereupon the men of the family would marry in two separate ceremonies, one, a secular wedding ceremony in which the bride and groom received one another, so to speak, and a Teidō wedding which formalized their marriage solely in the eyes of the Kami. As Eijirō and Mayumi had completed the first part of this back in 2019, in the eyes of the country, she had already been the Crown Princess for over a year, and so, she was obligated to participate in the ceremony. Had it not been for this transition, the full process would've undoubtedly been completed, but as it stood, it was now scheduled for next month.

When the servants had fully drawn back the veil, a drum rang out, marking the beginning of the end. The Prime Minister, Koya Shiozaki, walked up to a microphone placed directly opposite to the throne and bowed. Koya Shiozaki—Baron Koya Shiozaki—was one of the few people in the Rikken Minshutō party which Eijirō could personally respect, as one of a painful few members of the party's leadership who was considered a moderate, but that was besides the point. As he stood up from the throne, a servant, dressed in a black sokutai, stepped up to the throne and gently took the new Emperor's shaku from him, then another approached and handed him a piece of paper, folded parallel seven times. It was his speech. He unfolded the paper, and under the watchful gaze of the world—both dignitaries who had attended from far away lands and millions who tuned in to watch from around the world—he finally began to speak.

"Having previously succeeded to the imperial throne in accordance with the Constitution of the Empire of Daitō and the Special Measures Provision of the Imperial House Law, I now perform the ceremony of enthronement at the Shishin-den Hall and proclaim my enthronement to those at home and abroad." He said in a calm, collected manner, full of poise in how he carried himself. Everyone else was silent, almost deafeningly so; it even seemed as though the natural world had gone quiet, paying homage to the new Emperor. "I deeply reflect that, for nearly twenty years, His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor-Emeritus, constantly prayed for the happiness of the people and for peace across the world, always sharing in the joys and sorrows of the people, and showing compassion throughout his rule." He paused yet again, this time perhaps to allow the words of praise for his father to set in. "I pledge hereby to act in accordance with the powers vested in me by the constitution and the divine as leader of the Empire and as heir to the legacy of our Imperial Ancestors, always wishing for the happiness of the people and peace around the world, turning my thoughts to the people and standing with them. I sincerely hope, as we enter this new era, that our country, through our people's wisdom and unceasing efforts, achieves further development and contributes to the friendship and peace of the international community and the welfare and prosperity of mankind."

After a moment, as the paper containing his speech was taken away and the shaku returned, Prime Minister Shiozaki bowed and then approached the microphone before bowing once more. He then pulled his own speech from a pocket, and after a moment, he would begin.
   "I have respectfully conveyed, internally and externally, the enthronement of His Majesty, the Emperor on this day and in this place. It is a great pleasure for the people that the Emperor has held the ceremony of accession to the Imperial throne at the state hall of the Imperial Palace to promulgate his enthronement worldwide." He said, speaking into the microphone. "I respect His Majesty more that he will learn from the example of his predecessor, the Emperor Emeritus, who has shared the joys and sufferings of the Daitōjin people, and that he will follow in his father's footsteps in acting in accordance with the constitution, to lead the Empire and its people. I acknowledge your pledge to ensure that Daitō grows and develops, that it contributes to peace and friendship in the world, and the welfare and prosperity of mankind. The people shall look up to His Majesty as a symbol and leader of the state and of the country's unity, and I pledge on behalf of the people to achieve a fresh start for Daitō so that it may be more open to the world, more energetic, and more cultured. The Daitōjin people shall strive for peace in the world, and for the welfare of mankind. I shall end my words of congratulation by praying for peace in the Tenshi era and for the wellbeing of the Emperor." He finished his speech before taking three steps back and saying, "I request those in attendance to face forwards."I request those in attendance to face forwards." before, with a power and respect befitting the importance of the ceremony, shouting "Tennōheika Banzai!"—in effect, "May His Majesty, the Emperor, live Ten-Thousand Years!"—as he lead all of those assembled, from the dignitaries in attendance from across the country to the soldiers who stood in the courtyard, in swearing their fealty to their liege. This was repeated thrice, and as it did so, in the distance the roar of cannons in salute could be heard. So mighty was such a cry that perhaps Amaterasu-Ōmikami, the goddess of the Sun, would've heard it and that Ryūjin, dragon god of the seas, would've been startled by its power. At long last, the new era had begun.

Daitō:
"Darkest of Days"25 July, 2023
06:58 PM
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō

The clock continued to count down, its continuous ticking a reminder that every moment of what was to come mattered. Eijirō knew, now more than ever, he needed to be seen, to be heard as the country lay here, filled not only with sorrow, but anger that such an attack could occur. Yet here he was, sitting in his office having a "touch-up" done before his address to the nation, all because someone in the IHM[1] thought it would be wrong for him to look as, well, himself. With a sigh, he allowed them to continue, even if for but a moment, as it gave him a chance to think. It had been a long day. Originally, he had been scheduled to stop by a shrine outside of Shinkyō after his visit to an orphanage up in Otsu—officially to bring attention to issues in "the system", but in reality as a sort of publicity stunt—and yet now, here he was, in a nation that was under attack. The images he'd seen, the reports he heard... It was sobering. Yet now, he needed to bottle it all up and assure the nation, to serve as a unifying figure, and to ensure that a proper response could be coordinated in the coming days. Less than a minute later, they were done, and Eijirō knew, then, what he had to do.
   "Your Majesty," said someone from across the room, though with the lighting, it was a little difficult to see them. "It's time." they added. In the room with him were many people he knew, a few of whom he actually cared about but, given the situation, there was no time to talk. As Eijirō looked over the speech prepared for him, someone motioned a final countdown with his hand. 5... 4... 3... 2... Time to speak.

"Good evening." Eijirō said, looking into the camera. "Today, at 9:15 AM, our nation, our people, our very way of life came under attack in a calculated, deliberate, and most tragically, deadly act of terror. The victims, our countrymen, were in the streets, their offices, and their homes. Clerks and businesspeople, secretaries and government officials, friends and family members, women and children, all were lost. While exact figures are hard to come by, we know that thousands of lives have been snuffed out in an act of terror the likes of which this country, if not the world, has never seen before." He paused for a second. "The scenes on the ground, of buildings in ruins, of fires burning, of the dead littering the streets, and of towers collapsing have filled our hearts with shock and sorrow, but also a quiet, virtuous anger. The action taken against us was designed to break us, to make us fear our attackers. But they failed, and our country has been stirred to action.

"And our great nation will act, for we have been moved to defend ourselves. Attacks such as this may destroy our buildings, may claim lives, but they cannot, they will not break our will. They may have destroyed steel, yes, but they have been met with the unflinching steel resolve of the Daitōjin people. Today, we were attacked because, in 2017, we saw fit to stand up to aggression and tyranny, and because, our hand forced by the obstinance of the old regime in Kalasin, we were forced to excise this tyranny that clouded the hearts of man and brought suffering and death to untold millions. Daitō was attacked in a vain attempt at revenge, an act which shall be met through all necessary means in order to end this threat which now plagues our nation.

"Today, our nation and the world saw evil, the very worst excesses of mankind." He paused yet again. "But it also saw the best of Daitō. The first-responders who, without regard for their own safety, gave of themselves everything in their power to rescue those still trapped at ground zero, many dozens of whom made the ultimate sacrifice. The priests and monks who gave comfort to the dying. The many thousands of civilians who aided in search and rescue operations in the aftermath of the attack and who, even now, donate blood and supplies to those affected by the attack.

"I—" He paused, struggling to get the words out. "I don’t believe there are even a handful of nations in this world that could still produce such unquestioned sacrifice. It is as though it was 1945 all over again, when the Empire’s heart was exposed to the terror bombing of the Ardian Empire. It’s the same spirit of resistance, the same determination…" He continued as he glanced briefly around the room. "The same courage. Those who stepped up in this, the darkest hour we have seen in close to eighty years, have exemplified the spirit of our nation, and to them, we are forever grateful.

"In the aftermath of the attack, in consultation with the cabinet and the assent of the Prime Minister, I activated our nation’s emergency response plans. Our military stands ready, and our emergency teams are working in Awara to help with local rescue efforts. Our first priority is to get help to those who have been wounded and to take any and all precautions to protect our citizens at home and abroad from future attacks. The functions of our government will continue uninterrupted, and government agencies which had been evacuated in response to the attack, as well as the risk of a second strike, will be reopened tonight to essential personnel and will resume normal operations tomorrow morning.

"As the Imperial Diet is presently dissolved, I have, at the advice of the cabinet, decided to invoke an emergency session of the House of Peers in order to make provisional decisions for the Diet until elections are held later this week." He took a moment to think. "I recognize that this measure is unprecedented in the history of our nation, but until that time-honored tradition of ours can be upheld, we must have a legislature which is capable of acting on the behalf of our country. Our financial institutions remain intact and strong, and tomorrow, our economy will open for business.

"Recognizing that, owing to the nature of this attack, we know where it originated, I have spoken to President Kaikaew with regards to the present situation in Kalasin. Furthermore, I have directed the full resources of our intelligence services to tracking down the culprits, and I call on the Diet to authorize whatever measures are needed to put an end to this threat, even if it means once more deploying forces to the country. I deeply appreciate the members of the Diet who have joined me in strongly condemning the attack on our soil, and on the behalf of the Daitōjin people, I thank the many world leaders around the world who have called to offer their condolences and support.

"In the days to come, no matter our response, we will prevail. Daitō and her partners around the world will join with all of those who wish nothing more than for peace on Mundus and security across the globe. And on the behalf of the Daitōjin people, no matter your race nor creed nor walk of life, I humbly ask that you pray for those who grieve, for the children whose lives have been shattered, and for those all across our nation whose sense of safety and security has now been threatened. And I pray that those who have been lost will know peace, and those who have lost a loved one will be comforted. Today is a day that we, as Daitōjin from all walks of life, shall unite in resolve for justice and peace. We have faced down enemies before, and kami willing, we shall do so again. None of us who have lived through this day shall forget it, but we shall move on, and time shall heal all wounds. But now we must go forward, unshaken, to defend our nation and our freedom, for we know our cause is just, and our enemies do as well." He said as he neared the end of his speech. "Thank you, and may the gods preserve Daitō."
 1. IHM — Imperial Household Ministry

Daitō:
"The Prince and the Emperor"25 November, 2023
06:16 PM
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō

Six months and twenty days, Eijirō thought as he glanced out of the window in his study, since the he had last stood in the same room as him, and today, that separation would end. How strange it was, to welcome him back after all that had happened; separated by the law for a crime he did not commit, only to reemerge into a world changed from that he had known before. And yet, as the motorcade pulled up to the Palace, in spite of his mixed feelings on the moment, he couldn't help but feel somewhat relieved that the ordeal was, at long last, over. Between the investigation into his father's murder and now the war in Kalasin, it had been far too much, especially after the discoveries made by advancing troops. The things he'd seen and heard... He'd never be able to forget them. But today was a good day, even as he returned to work on his address set for the 25th, as he would be welcoming home someone he loved, someone he'd known for their entire life. Today, his brother returned to the fold.
   "Your Imperial Majesty, Prince Hidehiko is here to see you." Natsuki Uematsu said, briefly entering the room with a bow before stepping back, careful not to turn his back upon the Emperor. As he did so, Hidehiko entered the room, at which point he received a glare from the erstwhile bodyguard-turned-valet.
   "Your Imperial Majesty, pardon my intrusion." Hidehiko said with a bow.
   "Ah, the long-lost Prince returns." Eijirō said, placing his pen aside before standing up from the desk. "Y'know, I didn't think I'd be seeing you walk free so soon..." He continued as he stepped over to him, looking him over for a moment. It was clear he felt many things as he did so, that he had much on his mind, but even so, after a moment, he pulled him in for a hug, "It's been far too long, Hide-kun."
   "Hide-kun?" Hidehiko said with a laugh. "What, did you hit your head and forget we aren't teenagers anymore?" He smiled.
   "Watch it, I may be your older brother, but I'm still Emperor." The elder brother said with a chuckle before letting go. "I trust you're doing better? I've heard about how they were treating you in there."
   "Honestly? I actually came to enjoy the silence. Helped with meditating, anyways." The younger brother replied. "But yeah, I suppose I'm doing better now. Besides, we got 'em, didn't we?"
   "That's right. And all thanks to you and your admittedly out-there plan. I mean, do you have any idea how long I had to keep quiet about it?"
   "I can only imagine..."

As Hidehiko said this, he stepped over to the desk and caught a brief glimpse of the speech being written. "As our forces transition to a peacekeeping force in the fragile nation, we will not lose sight of our goal. Those who have fled will be hunted, chased down and..." He read aloud before being interrupted by Eijirō, who quickly snatched the paper away. "H-hey! I was reading that..."
   "It's a work in progress, I can't have you reading it when it's not finished. Not that it'll be good even then..." The Emperor said, embarrassed after hearing it aloud.
   "Actually, I think it sounds pretty good." Hidehiko noted. "Of course, I'm still getting caught up on all I missed, so I'm probably missing some of the context, but isn't Kalasin still in the fight?"
   "For now, though we generally don't believe it will by the time I make the address in a few weeks here..." Eijirō said with a forced laugh. "So many people..." He continued, his tone shifting as he did so.
   "Oh?"
   "It's nothing, really—No, that's not true. I don't know how much you heard as of late, but we, uh... We found some stuff which I'm still trying to come to terms with." The elder brother said, looking out of the window. "Women and children who were starved, beaten, among many horrors far worse than I dare to say. We're talking genocide, Hide, and on an almost industrial scale." He paused. "If only I knew this would be the outcome in 2017, maybe then I could've talked to dad, tried to get him to pressure the government not to pull out once Saelim-Mangjul went through, and then maybe those people would still be alive. And if not, then I should've pushed for us to redeploy in 2021, even if under the guise of putting down the PAFK."
   "You have no reason to blame yourself, Eiji." Hidehiko said, placing his hand on his brother's shoulder. "It's not your fault."
   "I wish I could see it like you do, but you're not the one having to send people into harms way. I've heard the reports out of Ranong, it's not looking good. Bloodiest day for the Army since 1970, at the very least." Eijirō sighed. "Look at me, Hide. Why should I be the one to send our boys to die?"
   "Y'know, shortly after you left to join the Navy, dad told me and Sa-chan that we all to do our duty to the nation, no matter what that might be. For me, it turned out that was first chronicling our history for future generations, then sacrificing my freedom for the sake of the nation. Sis is doing the same by representing us on the world stage. But he told me, the night that you left, that you were going to do your duty to the nation by fighting on its behalf, and that it was the most honorable thing any man could strive to do. That's what they're doing, Eiji. And by authorizing their presence there, you're letting them perform the greatest honor in their lives, all while saving the lives of so many people who need us." Hidehiko said. "I'm not saying it's easy—it's never easy. But each and every one of us must set an example for our people, and in that, Eiji, I shall always have your back."
   "Thank you, Hide." Eijirō said with a smile. "I... I'll keep that in mind. I'm sorry."

Daitō:
"In These Time-honoured Halls..."06 December, 2023
08:12 PM
Imperial Diet Building, Yūranouchi, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō

How many times had he been here, Eijirō thought as he paced along the halls of the Imperial Diet Building in Yūranouchi. How many addresses to the Representatives and Peers—and the nation—had he attended or given? Certainly, from the age of eight onwards, ignoring the few times when he could not attend due to his military service or other factors, he had been in attendance. He'd also sat in on sessions of the House of Representatives on one or two occasions during field trips, back when he was just a kid. In a way, he supposed that this building, this great concrete and wood shrine to democracy was a significant part of his life. And tomorrow, at the head of this chamber, he would be giving one of his most important addresses of his life. But not today. The Diet was closed, and a great many feet scurried about, making the chamber of the House of Peers ready for a joint session of the Imperial Diet, one which he would be speaking to directly.

"Thirty-five." He noted as he looked up at the dais.
   "Your Majesty?" Sadazane Konishi, the Prime Minister and now a fairly good friend of his, asked him. He'd stayed a bit late to welcome Eijirō when he had found out he would be visiting.
   "This will be the thirty-fifth time I've attended a joint session of the Diet, Sadazane." Eijirō sighed. "Eleventh time I'm the one giving the speech too, on account of my father's illness, back before... Well, you know."
   "With all that's happened, you might match his record in just a few short years. Hell, at this rate you're on track to besting even Emperor Kunan himself. Now that'd be something."
   Eijirō was silent for a moment, thinking about that. About how long his Great-Grandfather had been on the throne, and his father before him, too. With all the stress he'd been under, he'd be lucky if he made it to sixty without suffering from a heart attack. "I don't want to think about that, if you don't mind me saying." He noted. "Giving these speeches into my seventies at a minimum, if not longer? I'd say you've got it lucky, Konishi-san. You get to retire, eventually, and that doesn't require the assent of the Diet." He continued. "Nope, for better or for worse, I'm likely gonna be serving until the day I die."
   "I don't envy you, Your Majesty." Sadazane said. "But at the same time, it must be quite the privilege, being looked up to as you are. You have the power to shape the future, just as Emperor Keiō did."
   "And he surrounded himself with only the best and brightest. Just as I have." Eijirō nodded with a smile. "But alas, I'll be lucky if we can straighten all of these chairs before tomorrow night."
   "Everything will be ready by then, Your Majesty." Sadazane said with a bow before he would excuse himself.

"One more day... The war, finally over, yet official in only one more day..." Eijirō muttered under his breath as he looked out over the hall before he, too, would retire for the evening. He had a speech to practice, after all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version