Author Topic: The Culture of Diplomacy (Semi-Open)  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lijiang
The Culture of Diplomacy (Semi-Open)
« on: May 06, 2021, 11:36:32 PM »
OOC - This was a pre-agreed State visit between Lijiang and East Moreland however there is an oppurtunity for anyone to turn up so long as its not expected you get a formal Lijiangian state visit.)

Prince Chun found the whole scenario rather amusing. His father had asked him to play a significant role in the State Visit of East Moreland. It would be the first such visit he had participated in and the ultimate irony was the person who had helped him understand East Moreland culture and traditions was none other than the visiting King's ex-wife Matilda Osman. The former Queen of East Moreland had been over in Lijiang tutoring the children of the Dragon-Emperor and now, with luck, Tielin would watch his son's education pay off.

The family had moved to the Province of  Mùgǔ yesterday and had been given a private tour of the new Cultural Centre. The whole of the Grand Council had also flown down to attend the opening and therefore the formal state greeting could be given. There would be the opening ceremony of the centre, chance for the Morelanders and any other visitors to see the exhibition and then tomorrow they would all fly back to Fengtai where the formal proceedings of a state visit would take place. It was a little disjointed for the traditionalist tastes of some of the High Lords but that appealed to Tielin who believed forming some new traditions would be good for the Empire.

The 13 High Lords stood arranged in a line abreast from where Tielin stood attired in a traditional black Hanfu suit and the Imperial Crown on his head. He disliked the crown as it felt like its top heavy design was like wearing a sail on his head and every stiff breeze became annoying. Stood behind him was his first wife Dragon-Empress Jing attired in a matching black robe with her own Imperial Crown. Tielin believed it looked more elegant and regal than his own and believed his wife probably enjoyed wearing it more than he did his own. Half a step behind Jing was the Azure Queen Dandan and as her title suggested she was attired in blue-green and had a much smaller and silver version of the Dragon-Empresses crown with azure coloured stones inlayed. Stood next to Dandan in order of age were the children of the Imperial Family. As such the group stood ready to greet the visitors. As the Morelander aircraft touched down a military band began to play the East Moreland national anthem. That had caused much confusion in the ranks of the Imperial Regiment as upon finding the tune and several versions of it the tune seemed far too modern for a nation over 1000 years old and this had caused some debate among the sergeants in the band as to how exactly to play it. It had been Prince Chun who had solved this problem by simply asking his tutor Matilda Osman what should be done and as a result traditional instruments would be used as Matilda had assured him King David would appreciate the effort. As the initial melody washed over them the aircraft stopped and six men clad in black armour  stood waiting with spears topped with red and white ribbons. They waited for the East Moreland monarch to descend the aircraft steps and raised their spears in salute.

Tielin stepped forward and with his hands at his side bowed to King David and Queen Stasya. "Your Majesty King David III of East Moreland, Grand Cordon of the Most Glorious Order of the Double Dragon[1] we are honoured to welcome you to our Empire."

Prince Chun was prepared and stepped forward taking a knee before the Morelander King and producing with a practiced presentation the Jian Sword that the King had requested be smithed. Chun had been educating into the significance of the sword in East Moreland society and so they had suspected that making a public gesture of offering the King of East Moreland a sword would be one that would earn the Morelanders favour. Chun held the sheath with the handle of the sword facing David. "Your Majesty we hope that you will accept this blade as a sign of friendship between our nations and a gesture of thanks for returning to the people of the Empire great works of art. We are certain our mutual respect for each other shall grow." He waited for the Morelander to accept the blade before standing, bowing deeply and returning to his line.

At the new cultural centre itself it was hoped some other nations may have accepted the open invite, it was highly unlikely monarchs or high ranking ministers would attend but perhaps a few Ambassadors would grace the event, some respected scholars or perhaps some other notable figures. It was important for High Lord Guangtai that his initiative paid of as it would bring glory to his province and perhaps earn the favour of the Dragon-Emperor. A smart looking silk adorned tent waited for the VIP's, Xu Zengcai was waiting. He had masterminded the arrangements for the day and was currently High Lord Guangtai's project manager for this centre but he had much higher hopes. He hoped soon to impress the Dragon-Emperor to the point he was offered an Imperial position not just a provincial one, he was a man on the raise. To give the matter some significance should some high ranking foreign power arrive the Dragon Emperor had asked his new adviser Jin Odinsson to attend. His hope was the former Nya Alander leaders prestige would rub off, to further support the idea of pandering to any high ranker the Dragon-Emperor's younger brother Lian had been dispatched. He bore the simple title Imperial Knight but was acting as regent of the families home Province of Baoshan for another four years until Chun had completed what his father considered "enough education" in essence then Lian had the rank of a High Lord in all but name and his Imperial connection would make him useful. He was a less serious man than his brother having never truly had the weight of expectation upon him. He had dabbled in a variety of professions, a brief period in the military, then as a member of the Ministry for Education, he had even spent time as a member of the committee on river management before the conflict broke out that had ended up with his older brother being Dragon-Emperor.
 1. I'm IC assuming there would have been cultural links between Lijiang and Ardia Tula (???) who were a chinese nation EM were buddies with and so they'd recognise this honour especially with it mentioning Dragons.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: The Culture of Diplomacy (Semi-Open)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Lucinda Hadley would arrive behind the Morelanders, officially a "Special Envoy" of the First Empire. Truth be told she was here more for Adirana than Evanthe, whom she held a grudge towards, though she understood the reasons behind Beatrice being removed from the Throne. She had made special arrangements for her husband, Attorney for the Crown Lucius Stanely, to be present as well as her guest. She figured having a Rokkenjiman offical with her would boost her credentials for discussing matters of the Crown beyond her experience with the Imperial Family.

As she and her husband were approached Lucinda spoke with purpose, "I look forward to the cultural events, but I carry a message from the Empress of Rokkenjima. Understandably our nations cannot conduct typical diplomacy at the moment, however, I trust you may guide me to the appropriate offices and people. Thank you for your time," she said as she tried to force a smile, though the results were just as awkward as they were when Beatrice attempted just as much as when Crown Princess Serenity attempted to force them out of her.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:22:50 PM »
This was a visit that in some ways King David was a little nervous of. One the one hand it was an exciting land of culture and tradition and on the other it was exactly these reasons that meant there was a potential minefield of etiquette, especially as he was being given the trappings of a state-visit. With this in mind he had made a decision that he was sure his neck would regret and that was to wear the crown of state. The golden circlet was uncomfortable and heavy and it took a few minutes of wear and it felt tiresome. His wife however was delighted to be wearing her crown and a beautiful red flowing dress to go along with it. Despite the uncomfortable nature of the crown Stasya realised that pain and sacrifice were needed to look stylish and regal. She had even practiced walking in it for a few hours to ensure it became second nature.

Now as the Royal aircraft touched down smoothly the King and Queen emerged from their private room and collected their ceremonial swords from the Air Force stewards who manned Ironside One. David helped his wife strap her slim rapier on before tightening up his own straight heavy cavalry sword. The King had opted for once to wear his military uniform for the occasion and the white cross belt of the Alpine Cadre was a huge contrast to the black jacket and trousers. Unlike other Regiments the Alpine Cadre wore berets at all ranks rather than peaked caps and the King gave his own white beret a final check. Happy everything was in place he made his way down the steps amused at the attempts by the locals to play the East Moreland national anthem on their own instruments. Reaching the bottom of the steps the King saluted the men in the traditional armour before returning Tielin's bow. The King was concerned that the crown would fall from his head and did his bow awkwardly while Stasya meanwhile remained ever elegant as she stood beside her husband and gave her well practiced bow. David bowed as Chun handed the sword towards him and took it from him before unsheathing the blade and inspected it. "It's a beauty" David articulated loudly. He sheathed the blade and with a single hand held the gift horizontally and bowed accepting the gift once again. An Air Force steward had stood waiting behind the Royals and swapped the sword for the package the steward carried. "Dragon-Emperor Tielin I hope you will accept my gift" He handed a shoe boxed sized wooden box to Teilin before lifting the lid to reveal a series of three small knives intricately decorated along the blade. They had been made by the King's own smith, Maxwell Power, and the blade of one had a slighly blue/green hue intended for the Azure Dragon Queen. 

"We are thrilled to be here" King David said addressing Tielin. "It will be a great honour to meet with you formally later and to view some great works of art in their homeland."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »
Xiao Mei was quite happy to be able to avoid the pomp and circumstance, the fanfare and pageantry that was normally associated with such occasions as this. She could trace her ancestry on her father's side to this land and now here she was Achkaerin's ambassador to Lijiang and a noble herself. She found herself with butterflies in her stomach as she made her way into the tent that awaited VIP's, taking a deep breath as she did so, though she had the ancestry she knew very little of the nation. She hadn't come alone, two of Achkaerin's youngest artists Seònaid Hastings and Steven Clarke had made the trip as well, the pair curious about Lijiang and true to the nature of the artist always on the search for inspiration. Steven was still in High School though only for a few more weeks after that he'd be joining Seònaid and two others on KHELP. Mei looked around as the trio stood slightly uncertain in the entrance of the tent then she spotted Jin Odinnsson and her breathing calmed somewhat that was a man that Achkaerinese diplomats were familiar with if only by reputation in most cases, it was a positive sign that there was at least a flicker of familiarity and comfort to this. Her eyes flicked around the tent to the others taking note of who else was there, the Dragon Emperor's brother was there she recalled from the Foreign Office briefing that he held the title Imperial Knight, she looked at Xu Zengcai this was a man she didn't know quite likely he was some sort of local official.

"Thank you for the invitation." Mei said giving a respectful bow "Allow me to introduce myself I'm Xiao Mei[1] I'm Achkaerin's newly appointed ambassador to Lijiang, this is Seònaid Hastings and Steven Clarke, they're hoping to find some material or inspiration as I believe they call it, I'm looking forward to getting to know this nation."
 1. OOC - I'm not entirely sure whether Lijiang icly puts the surname first or not, her first name is Mei the family name is Xiao

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:12:57 PM »
OOC- Changing the arrival point for Lucinda, as this is an official state visit for King David he gets the grand welcome, everyone else is at the museum.

Tielin lifted one of the slim blades that the Morelander King had presented him. The Dragon-Emperor knew that the Morelanders adored the sword and smithing and so was sure to make a great deal of the gift. "I have heard much of the skill of the East Moreland smiths, to be presented such fine examples of craftsmanship is a privledge and I hope our friendship can become worthy of being granted these." Tielin showed one of the blades to the Dragon-Empress who examined the worksmanship before handing the colour tinted one to Dandan who seemed scared of the object. Having each looked closely at their knives they returned to them to the box. "If you would like to follow me" The Dragon Emperor stood to the side of King David and lead him towards where a group of waiting black armoured guardsman stood smartly waiting with spears held vertically, the first soldier had a dragon banner hanging from the tip of his spear while the 2nd had the East Moreland flag. Tielin stopped at the occasional soldiers and introduced them by their rank, name and province. He knew the King had a like for all things historic and so hoped that David would enjoy an up close and personal view of these anciently dressed soldiers.

While David and Tielin inspected the Guardsman it was Jing and Dandan, one walking either side of Queen Stasya, that headed to the rear of the men where several of the young noble women from the Golden Enclave waited each had a beautifully crafted silk flower that they presented the Queen until by the time the two monarchs had progressed down their line formed a bouquet. It was now time to travel to the museum and a waiting series of cars would whisk them away.

Lian, the Dragon-Emperor's younger brother, had been tasked with the duties of welcoming the VIP's to the museum. It was not open yet but a large crowd was already gathering. The Rokkenjimans had arived first. Lian was unsure exactly how to deal with them. They had been rather insulting to his nation, his brother and therefore his Emperor but as the Dragon-Emperor's representative and kin he had to play the dutiful host otherwise he would be seen as letting the Empire down. He bowed to Lucinda and Lucius, "We are excited to welcome the first Rokkenjiman's to our Empire in...well as long as anyone can remember. As for discussions then there must be a wait for them. My brother will no doubt wish to speak to you at some point but at present he is likely to be busy for now with the state visit of King David and Queen Stasya, however for now I would like to introduce you to  High Lord Guangtai." Lian had guided them towards the waiting Guangtai who was High Lord of the Province and whose day this was in reality. "Guangtai here sits on the highest Council in the Empire and at my brothers side. He is possibly the best placed to take care of you and your matter for now." Lian bowed once more leaving the High Lord with the Rokkenjimans.

Guangtai was unsure what to say to the Rokkenjimans if truth be told. Guangtai had been one of four members of the Council to vote to remain in the MAEA and had been disappointed at the result. He blamed the disaster of the back and forth for the inability of being able to persuade the 11 other members to change their view. "Greetings" he addressed Lucinda and Lucius as he was introduced. "Sadly His Majesty is unavailable for the time being. I am happy though to address any questions you may have. For now perhaps we can sort out exactly what you would hope to begin discussions with the Dragon-Emperor on, perhaps I can offer some gems of wisdom."

Lian meanwhile had gone to greet the Achkaerin delegation as they arrived. "Well Ambassador I am honoured to be the first to welcome you to your new post. I assume you will be formally invited to present credentials at the Palace or Enclave soon, until then I hope you and you're friends will enjoy the day. Is there any style of art that they are particularly interested in. As for yourself you're name appears more Lijiangian than perhaps Achkaerin. Do you know much of your connection to the Empire?"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »
Mei half smiled and nodded to the pair of artists that it was ok for them to speak, the pair naturally not accustomed to an environment such as this.

"Well."  Seònaid said "I like to delve a little into the history and culture, use old stories as a basis for my work. I'm a painter who likes oils or watercolours and I do a bit of etching."
"You should see her workspace on KHELP." Steven said, he'd only seen pictures but it got a giggle from  Seònaid "I'm a sketcher, I work mainly in charcoal and chalks."
"And get really messy doing it."  Seònaid whispered, this time it was Steven who giggled.

Mei was contemplating how to word her answer to Lian's second question "I know very little of my heritage in Lijiang though I know my father's side of the family has roots here, it's one of those things that was never spoken about by my great great grandfather, all my research has told me is that the family hails from the mountains, beyond that I know nothing, I don't know who they were nor what they did, part of my hope of being posted here is that I can in my own time find out more about what my link to this country is."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
David was always conscious of moments like this. Each nation had their own military traditions and etiquitte and it was hard enough to know how to act regardless of the fact the country you were visiting being one so little was known of diplomatically. David therefore elected to follow a step behind Tielin and when introduced to a soldier gave them a stiff short respectful bow before asking them how long they had served or some other question. As they reached the end of the line David had a question for the Dragon-Emperor, "So these Imperial Guardsman, are they active duty soldiers as well as ceremonial guards? How are they selected?" David asked as they waited for the ladies to join them.

Stasya loved the attention and gladly accepted each of the flowers. She didn't care much for the forms of etiquette and gave each of the young noble girls a polite peck on the cheek as a way of saying thank you. As she meet up with her husband she ensured anyone watching noticed her show off the flowers to her husband and the assembled crowd. As they made their way towards the waiting cars she addressed the two ladies. "I understand the Golden Enclave is a Kingdom within a Kingdom so to speak. Is that true?" She asked.

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »
Lian smile at Mei, "So you are a southener. One of those horse types that wander around in the Highlands. As you probably know that is where the Empire grew out of and as such the Imperial Records there will go back furthest." Thanks to the Shūyuàn academy system it meant the civil service were always well staffed and such simple matters as maintaining records was simple for them. Naturally fires, acts of God and various other disasters had seen a fair few records disappear but generally speaking the emphasis on family heritage and the detailed records meant that anyone who was determined could usually easily find their family background. "If I was you I would make my way to the Shūyuàn of of Yansheng in the province of Gāodì. It was opened when the Empire was just 100 years old and so their historians are likely to have the most detailed information."

Had the state visit been happening in the capital of Fengtai then the transfer to their destination would have taken place either by horse drawn carriage or carried on a sedan chair. Today though being in Mùgǔa series of cars were being used and Tielin was rather happy to be able to take the crown off while they travelled. The men travelled in the first car and the women in the second.

Tielin began to answer the King's question. "Our Imperial Guardsman are specifically trained to be protection for myself and my family. They are not expected to enter combat as infantry but they are trained marksman and could be used to effect hostage rescue if the situation was called for. They are selected from within the military. They must obtain a recommendation from an officer within their Regiment, then from a noble from their home province. The captain of the guard then determines whether he wishes them to serve. The group you see in ancient armour are only the visible sign of the Guard, maybe unspotted there have been several others watching over us. They however always seem to be around us, even when I go to the toilet there is one of them outside. It eats into your freedom but you will be aware won't you."

In the car behind Jing was doing her best to answer Stasya's question. "I think you could say that. In the Enclave I am responsible for its management in all affairs. It is an odd thing. If for example I woke up in the morning and wished everyone to wear pink you would see everyone hurry off and change for fear of retribution. I need not consult anyone, not even my dear husband. We have already seen one difference. A girl in Lijiang is allowed to marry 7 days after her first period, it has lead to many arranged marriages to secure land, titles , wealth etc and has seen many young women die in labour because we have children having children. One of the first things I have done in the Enclave is change it so all noble girls residing there are in my service as Ladies in Waiting, a position I believe you know well." She hoped refering to Stasya's old role wasn't offensive to her guest. "As such now none can marry until I say so. Families however are less likely to arrange young marriages as having a daughter with that title brings some perks such as being allowed to attend banquets and events in the Dragon-Empresses hall, one such event you will see tomorrow evening. On the downside it does increase my food budget." She chuckled. It had been a move that had angered some minor nobles who had used the marriage of young family members to advance their own fortunes within the Empire.

They had arrived at the destination and a crowd gathered. A double line of trumpeters prepared and as the cars pulled up black armoured guardsman opened the doors while somewhere a gong was sounded and official titles used to announce the four arrivals. A jaunty flourish from the Trumpets welcomed them. The Dragon-Emperor and King lead the way down the line to where at the far end High Lord Guangtai was waiting with his own family. As Tielin approached he lowered himself to his knees and touched his forehead to the ground. "Your Imperial Majesty you honour us with your presence." The High Lord stood up and bowed more traditionally "Your Majesty King David, we are grateful you have helped us open this museum." The High Lord moved with them towards the door where a bright yellow ribbon was stretched across the door way. "Perhaps we could have King David use his new sword to officially open the museum and say a few words."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
David was rather relieved East Moreland did things differently. While he knew there was always a member of the Royal Protection Agency was close by however they were easy to forget about as they were experts in blending into the background. Even Will Buckley the King's personal security agent, who was a giant of a man, could seamlessly blend into the background. He would have found it rather unlivable if it was as bad as the Dragon-Emperor made it seem.

Stasya in some way felt envious of the Dragon-Empress even in a small way she had real authority. Stasya meanwhile had only symbolic power, she was naturally respected but beyond those in her household staff she couldn't really give any orders. It didn't really matter, all she had ever really wanted was to live the life of luxury with a fancy title, rich and handsome husband and of course being a constant centre of attention. She was pleased to hear though that the Empress was taking steps to help young women in this Enclave. Stasya knew young woman should be permitted to enjoy their life, to make the most of their youth and beauty while they could. Of course for a rich noblewoman children were not the end of the world but it was a fear for her, what if her figure didn't return, what if it stopped her attending her favourite events. There was a whole host of problems children brought, most among them would be sharing her husbands attention, it was enough with Rhiannon to compete with.

As they reached the venue and made their way past the trumpeters David was impressed with the look of the museum. It gave him a tingle in his stomach knowing that even in a small way he was helping leave some kind of legacy of helping promote cultural exchange across Mundus. What David hadn't expected however was to be cutting the ribbon himself, especially with a sword. "Thank you High Lord for allowing us this fantastic oppurtunity and great honour." David took the newly smithed Lijiangian sword from Will who had been caring for it. Will handed David the sword who motioned to Stasya to come towards the ribbon. He handed her the sword in its sheath and she held it while he removed the blade. He gave it a few practice swings to get accustomed to its feel however it also gave the locals a chance to see the King enjoying some of their handy work. He then lined the blade up for the cutting, "I hope that many people, from all over Mundus, get to come and enjoy this beautiful museum" David swept the sword downward the ribbon split in two. He sheathed the sword back and took it from his wife kissing her on the cheek as he did so. He handed the sword back to Will. "Can we go take a look?" David asked the Dragon-Emperor.

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 11:04:06 PM »
Tielin was pleased that King David didn't mess up the opening. While David was readying himself the Dragon-Emperor took himself off to gather the other visitors, he found Lucinda Hadley and the Rokkenjiman delegation and marshalled them towards the front of the crowd before doing likewise with Xiao Mei and the Achkaerin group of visitors. By now King David was completing his slice through the ribbon and then turned to speak with Tielin. "I would be delighted to show you the museum." Tielin pushed open the door allowing everyone to enter. His wife Jing took up a position towards the front of the group.

Jing took over speaking to the group. "We have a great many of the works of art on display that King David graciously donated to us from his former collection." The interior of the museum was ultra modern and large glass cabinets were paired with video screens which displayed in several languages information about the display, most of them would probably never be needed but it was hoped that perhaps one day the museum could become a valuable cultural tourist attraction. The group headed towards the far end of the long main display chamber. There two large solid oak doors stood closed. Above them, first in Lijiangian and then in Morelandish were the words, "The King David Gallery" The Dragon-Emperor pushed the door open to reveal the display that the Morelanders had set up. "Perhaps we can explore what you have sent King David and then talk about some of the reasons that brought some of you here."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 10:32:24 PM »
David took in the sights of the new museum as they headed towards the gallery that Tielin had put aside for the Morelanders. King David had dispatched Professor Maddie Howard to ensure that everything was set up correctly. It had been hard to determine the theme that the Morelander display would have but eventually they had determined that it would be the birth of the nation and so various artefacts going back to the birth of East Moreland were put on display. There were replicas of several pieces of armour, swords, spears, shields emblazoned with the crests of various noble families. Hanging noticeboards told the stories of the campaigns of Robert the Unifier and his men so that anyone visiting the display would learn the stories that each Morelander held so dear. For this special occasion a Morelander musician was playing traditional folk songs. David took the Dragon-Emperor on a quick tour of the display pointing out his favourite parts. He especially liked the part about the Battle of Greenflowers and could see Stasya at times chuckling clearly seeing he was getting too carried away. Having spent enough time boring Tielin and the others about the finer points of East Moreland history.

The centre of the Morelander display held a small square stage, no bigger than a few meters across, it was for performances of traditional songs or stories. It had a few benches flanking it and David and Stasya sat down. "Dragon-Emperor Tielin, perhaps here would be a good place to begin our discussions."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »
Tielin was pleased that the Morelanders had put so much into their display. Tielin was pleased to see also that David was someone as passionate about his nations past as Tielin was about his own. He hoped his brief history lesson on East Moreland would stand them well over the next few hours.

The Dragon-Emperor took one side of the small square with his entourage gathering around and behind him. " It would be a fine place" In truth he wasn't too sure, he would have preferred  a grand hall or his own Palace but he had heard of King David often conducting business in a rather informal manner and if this was how to get things done here then so be it. "Perhaps though our guests would like to pick a topic to begin with."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 06:40:35 AM »
While events proceeded Lucinda had, noticeably, retreated from the events and the duties which had been handed to her. While not present in any official capacity, he had rather viewed this as a nice opportunity to spend some time with his wife once her duties had been concluded, Lucius couldn't stand by silently any longer.

"Right then," he said looking to Lucinda, then to Lian and High Lord Guangtai. "While I'm uncertain as to who in Pyrena thought Lucinda was ready for such an appointment I know that I'm a currently serving member of Her Majesty's Imperial Government, as Attorney for the Crown. I receive daily briefings due to an arrangement put into place by the Saisei Empress, and whereas my wife's experience lay largely in the fields of intelligence and protection of the Imperial Family, I've a working knowledge of the present Imperial Government and have seen the briefings on the affair between our nations. I know that things have been far from ideal over that entire affair and I also know that it is the sincerest interests of Empress Evanthe to see those issues righted."

"I've already been in communications with Pyrena and have approval from the Imperial Council to assume the responsibilities of my wife as a Liaison of the Council. So, I do believe it would be beneficial for both of us to make up for lost time and figure out a path from which we may see our mutual goals, and those goals expressed in regards to nuclear safety and security by Lijiang, realized instead of being scuttled. I believe your insight would be a good place to start in that pursuit."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »
Guangtai and Lian exchanged glances showing they found the situation a little awkward. It was the high lord who would take on the conversation, he had after all been the man who had lead the faction in the council to vote in favour of joining. "I understand the importance of what the MAEA are trying to achieve. No one believes nuclear weapons must exist. Yet the issue is it is possible to argue that even before the MAEA existed the chances of nuclear weapons becoming a major issue were negligable. Once Slava Lavosk got close the world rounded on them and shut them down. The chances therefore of nuclear proliferation are minimal if not zero. The MAEA needs to exists therefore to ensure the safe use of nuclear materials for things such as nuclear power. The biggest threat to nuclear security is not those of a nation gaining a nuke but a terrorist gaining material like those who attempted to get in East Moreland. A treaty among nations therefore will stop that by ensuring the safe storage, supply and transportation of material. It was that which I wished to push us towards. Now our Dragon-Emperor has made no secret of wishing to see us advance and we have an advantage even Rokkenjima has not enjoyed. While you have taken the long route of the last few decades of slow development we could have taken a quick route, skipped fifty, maybe sixty years of development. That was why Dragon-Emperor Tielin wished to join MAEA. The idea of hosting it coming down to national pride in wishing to not be seen as some backwards nation. The issue now is Tielin has in the aftermath of the HQ foul up vowed that we will become a nation with a nuclear power station despite not being a member of the MAEA. He's begun attempts to do just that, first securing material in Waddan and I suspect next approaching someone like Fleur who have nuclear power stations for the technology. While the MAEA have a monopoly on administration of nuclear safety they do not have a monopoly on the technology. You wish to see Lijiang rejoin the MAEA I think the apology is less important than the image portrayed next. Accepting an offer from Rokkenjima seems like accepting charity, something Tielin can not be able to be seen accepting."

It was Tielin's brother Lian who continued. " The MAEA has I believe 11 members, many of which I would consider extensions of each other, the CNN nations are effectively standing as one block, Bakkermaya are an extension of King David whom is meeting happily with my brother, Ui Cenneslaig and Cantabria will soon enough be a single nation through marriage. It is a friends club desperate to maintain the status quo. It serves no real purpose beyond a propaganda message. It is one I would support, the evils of nuclear weapons are clear. The problem is the MAEA now seems like an organisation built for friends. We're outsiders to this grouping and that is why at present joining is impossible."

Guangtai was less certain. "There can be a path but it is one that must wind around the peaks rather than cut straight through the valley." He hoped that the Rokkenjimans understood as the duo lead them to the place where David and Tielin were already conversing. Lian introduced the two Rokkenjimans, bowed deeply to his brother before retiring.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
For Seònaid and Steven a museum like this was practically dreamland, an opportunity to let their curious minds wander and explore the culture of Lijiang was exactly what the pair had hoped for on this trip. Mei was a little envious as the two young artists practically skipped off to explore the museum itself, she'd have liked nothing more than to have  joined them and learn a little bit more about this nation that her family in part hailed from. Taking a deep breath she turned her attention to what she, as the newly appointed Achkaerinese ambassador to Lijiang, should probably be doing. She made her way to where the Lijiang Emperor and King David were seated and kept at a respectful distance while the Rokkenjiman's were led over, she waited a few moments before approaching.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I'm Ambassador Xiao from Achkaerin." Mei said "May I join you?"

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 07:24:50 PM »
It seemed to Tielin that everyone who was about to attend had arrived and so the Dragon-Emperor knew that, for now at least, he would have to to put his enjoyment of the occasion to one side. He would have time later to speak with King David about matters between East Moreland and the Majestic Empire but now he suspected talk would turn to nuclear energy. It was a talk he really didn't want, he was on a track now to see the task he had set himself through but ignoring nations such as the three before him was not practical. "As guests it is over to you to begin our discussion wherever you see fit. I look forward to our conversation."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 07:45:48 PM »
With no one else seemingly willing to start the discussions off King David made the decision that he would. "Dragon-Emperor I'd like to begin by thanking you for your hospitality today. I've enjoyed seeing as much of Lijiang as I have so far. I know the manner of this meeting was changed to accommodate our friends from Rokkenjima but it gives a chance to try and tackle the issue of the MAEA debacle. It is clear from the way you joined and then even bid to host that you see the value of the organisation and I think having a nation such as yours join us sends a positive message. By that I mean one that is re-discovering the world beyond its own borders and seeing the value helps us and it would help you. I know for one East Moreland would be thrilled to help Lijiang close its technology gap but to do that we would need you in the MAEA. I know that you have taken steps to do that beyond the MAEA but I would question whether that would offer you the long term stability the three of us could. So I think a place to begin would be to examine your nations stance on the MAEA?"

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 11:00:29 PM »
Tielin knew that this would likely be the first topic to come up and so had a few mentally prepared notes.

"I agree we do have some key technology gaps within our nation. The problem is though the MAEA does not hold a monopoly on those technologies, as impressive as the three of your nations collective achievements are. We have already secured supplies of uranium and plutonium sufficient for our first project with promises of further supplies. Add to that I have a pencilled in meeting with the new monarch of Altona, a nation that has their own electricity producing nuclear reactors. This became more than just being about nuclear matters though. You see for over a century we had a government that had only a fragile grip upon control of the nation. Now we have me as Dragon-Emperor there are some issues I need to ensure take precedence over even the nuclear energy programme I wish to develop. That is projecting a position of strength and power. Having a nation that perceive the Dragon-Emperor and Dragon-Priestess as the two most powerful forces on Mundus then we need to somewhat maintain that image, especially as my reign is in its infancy. We have members of the Majestic Council that could be described as having their loyalty hidden in the shadows. They took no sides during the uprisings that saw the end of the period of mourning. I do not therefore know whether that silence was because they had designs on the throne themselves or whether it was because they had no idea what to do if they got it. I must therefore ensure they are pacified and with them having voted for us to not join the MAEA it would be difficult for me to back track especially because of the manner by which we got there."

He paused for a moment while a woman dressed in traditional garments came and poured tiny cups of tea for all involved and then placed a glass of water by each guest. The young woman bowed to the Dragon-Emperor and without turning her back inched away before deeming it safe to turn and hurry away. "This" Tielin began "Is white dragon tea. It is a rather unique beverage I find." He took a little sip of the dark, almost black liquid, "You see at first taste it is a little bitter but tastes of very little tea." He put his small cup down and picked up the glass of water, "But it does some strange things to the taste buds and now when you drink plain water." He took a sip, "The water becomes beautifully sweet, some say almost like honey" He enjoyed the second drink much more than the first and placed the glass of water down. "I kind of hope our talks here can mirror this tea, from something rather bitter something good can come but that depends on what actions the trio of you intend to take as I have heard a great deal of sabre rattling surrounding the word "nuclear" over the last few months."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 08:38:03 PM »
David had long been a fan of Green Tea, a habit he'd picked up for his fondly remembered trips to Arda Tuluva. In that trip he'd tried a significant number of different teas but had never tried this one. It was strange though but certainly memorable it wouldn't however replace his favourite green tea. Things became difficult now. On the one hand East Moreland, Achkaerin and Rokkenjima had all had pasts where they had allowed the general public and not their monarchs to make significant decisions for the nation. In East Moreland it was the constitution and then CIS membership and David could understand the problem Tielin had. "The issue we have is that you've just spoken first hand about the way you believe your rule is not strong as of yet." David had lowered his voice, "By being outside the MAEA it would make the issue that should you gain nuclear power generation and then something happen to your reign whoever comes next could be a problem if they had less than your noble ambitions." David hoped he had been clear. "MAEA would at least act as some kind of deterrent or stop gap to ensure a future more aggressive Dragon-Emperor couldn't take the step to nuclear weapons. It would also show Mundus you and your people were committed to the course of peace. The three of us here have worked hard to ensure Mundus has no nuclear weapons and we would be excited if you joined us on that path."

"You say you want something positive to come from these talks. We could obviously be a great help and support to achieving your aim of nuclear energy for Lijiang, it would though require joining MAEA." 

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2021, 09:30:54 PM »
Tielin had to shake his head slightly at King David's attempts. "I appreciate you trying to find a route forward. The problem is signing up to the MAEA now goes against the very basis of me consulting the Majestic Council. It's also worth noting you do not have a monopoly on nuclear energy. There are several nations out there with the technology whom I suspect if I was to negotiate with I could make a decent deal with. Altona for example are more than capable of building nuclear power stations and we have a meeting arranged with them soon. I have already secured supplies of nuclear material. You say say that you have no assurance that a future Dragon-Emperor wouldn't begin nuclear weapons manufacture. Well we also have no assurance that a future King of East Moreland, Achkaerin or Emperor of Rokkenjima may not begin developing nuclear weapons again. We've seen secret weapons projects in the past in places, even a secret biological weapons lab no one knew of in Paracambi. What assurance do we have that even as a MAEA member one of you couldn't start a weapons programme in secret. You've all the technology and resources to do so and on the surface give the MAEA the impression you are complying. Like any international agreement this relies on your word and it is only valid for your lifetime, or more accurately it is only valid for as long as your nations best interests are served by sticking to your words. I am giving you my word that Lijiang are not going to develop nuclear weapons. We are though going to develop nuclear energy."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »
David had to find himself agreeing largely with what Tielin said about the agreements made across Mundus in effect only being valid for as long as the people who signed them wish to sign them. He had no doubt that his daughter would carry on the East Moreland tradition of following through with what you ancestor had begun but could the same be said for nations across Mundus? "One of the safeguards of MAEA is that it would in effect create a traceable catalogue of all nuclear material capable of making a bomb, but such a database would only be effective if more nations join. Hence my desire to try and get as many to join as possible. You clearly believed that the organisation was worthwhile as you started you nation down the path. You speak of your desire to build nuclear power as being unwavering but there are a whole host of other uses for nuclear material beyond military applications. Being outside MAEA could potentially limit where these things can be acquired. Your path for Lijiang speaks of great improvements in all manner of life for your people, would you want to perhaps deny them opportunities? Would making a decision yourself, even going against the High Lords not impose a message of you being the ultimate judge of what is best for your nation? We could turn this into a symbol of Imperial strength." David wasn't sure he believed such a thing was either an accurate description or even a morally correct path but the meeting had been conducted for trying to resolve the MAEA debacle and it was going nowhere so this was his final roll of the dice.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 11:14:32 AM »
"I'm not going to sugar coat things," Lucius said with a sigh, "Emperor Tielin, we need you. We need Lijiang if this whole thing is going to succeed. Without Lijiang the statement we hoped to make with the MAEA fails on its face, and we open the world again to an unverified mess of arrangements which leave us open to the next power that declares itself a nuclear weapons power declaring its designs to the world with little to no pushback in their way. I recognize this, the Empress recognizes this, which is why I am here. I have the ear of the Empress, she trusts me, she trusts my judgement, so if there is anything you would wish for Pyrettania to hear, I'm your guy."

"I know things have not been easy," he continued, "I recognize your predicaments and what you yourself are facing, but on an issue as critical as this we have to come to a common ground. Your Imperial Highness, the stakes on this issue are most high, and while Waddan and other states can get you raw materials and designs, I can also get you materials and designs that are safer, more efficient and by the Gods a hell of a lot more proven than theirs. What would it take, what would I have to relay to my Empress and Government to get you on board with ensuring all of our security through the system proposed by the MAEA? What can I do to reassure you and see that your needs are met just as much as ours? What we decide here, today, very much determines if the MAEA succeeds at all; if we lose Lijiang, it was only an exercise of good thought and intentions, and it goes nowhere. You, Your Majesty, are the key and we need you more than you need us. I promise you this, however, whatever you require to secure your support and membership in the MAEA, I will see that it is done by my Government. I know my Empress has left a most unfortunate taste in your mouth but," he said, bowing as low as his body would allow, "please, grant me the opportunity, nay, privilege to see it redressed in Pyrettania."

"With internal politics at play," he continued, "I could see that any Rokkenjiman deal is seen as a concession to Lijiang, at great cost to the Rokkenjiman state. We can place this as a scenario where Lijiang captures a great victory over the external powers, and places you at a position where you may exploit it as you see fit. We need you, and I beg you to help me make this happen."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2021, 11:54:44 PM »
"Well Mr.Lucius the issue of needing us is one I think you are exaggerating. We're a nation that in the eyes of the world is stuck in the 19th Century. The statement the MAEA needed to make was not now but several weeks ago. The organisation now is carrying a taint of elitism and by joining at this time following what has happened it makes us look little more than puppets. Now while I appreciate the grand gestures being put forward sir they do not align with our needs and hopes. You see regardless of what concessions I seemingly get by accepting membership at this point I am saying that I do not value the input of my provincial Lords. I also realise this is not of your doing but having to see things redressed in Pyrettania is still creating a two tier system. You see originally today was supposed to be me giving public thanks to King David for him willingly giving up something dear to himself for the betterment of relations between our nations and to support our people. King David however asked specifically for this day to include a wider international audience and a chance for delegations from MAEA nations to come and discuss things with us. We owed King David a favour and as such we felt compelled to honour his request. That is the sole reason for why these talks have been able to take place, yet I have a lawyer of the crown before me rather than a diplomat. Can you imagine the announcement, "Following discussions between the monarchs of Lijiang, East Moreland, Achkaerin and an attorney general from Rokkenjima the Empire of Lijiang has conceeded to join the MAEA." It would be an announcement placing these crowns at a lower standing which takes me back to our initial misgiving."

Tielin paused for a moment or two. "I personally though agree that the MAEA is an organisation that must succeed so I am going to propose a compromise. I shall issue a Decree stating Lijiang will join the Uppsala Convention. The terms of this outlaw the use of nuclear weapons, as a nation that has never possessed them this is as good as me issuing a decree stating that we are against them. I will though be building our nations first nuclear power station without MAEA input. I will though permit an MAEA nation, appointed by you three but from a nation not represented here, to send a team of observers. They may witness the whole process from us accepting the nuclear material to it going online. Once the station is online and providing electricity it will have served its propaganda purpose and at that point I will then allow my Lords to have a 2nd chance at voting on our membership. In the meantime I will have ensured the vote will go my way this time. I think this is a reasonable compromise." Tielin said hopefully.

The Dragon-Emperor then turned to King David, "I hope that you feel the use of the favour we owed you has been worth it." He shrugged hopefully.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 12:32:18 AM »
Mei had sat and listened to the discussion, she'd not intended on being involved in such a discussion but she had of course been briefed on it, the Achkaerinese Emperor had made no secret of how displeased he was with the whole MAEA fiasco. Mei did smile at the frankly admirable diplomatic proficiency the Dragon Emperor possessed, it was a clever and well calculated zero risk compromise, in fact it was the sort of thing worthy of one or two of Mundus's great and sadly departed diplomatic figures the likes of Willa Sunbrek and Joshua Rhodes came to mind, it had that level of elegance to it.

"Your Majesty reminds me of some of the finest diplomatic minds Mundus has known in recent years, a very reasonable compromise suitable for all here and I'm sure Emperor Peter would have no problems with it." Mei said addressing Tielin before she looked at King David "Alanders." she said giving her suggestion on the MAEA observers if this was acceptable.