Author Topic: Achkaerin News Service  (Read 83019 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Achkaerin News Service
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2023, 04:44:24 PM »

RARE FOX BREED NOT EXTINCT

By Martin Thorpe: Wildlife Correspondent

The fox is no stranger to the Achkaerinese landscape or Mundus in general for that matter whether it be the common red fox, the arctic breed found in Hrothgaer, the blue fox notably found around the Aelmoor countryside, the gray fox's found in the woods or the Melanistic black fox that can be spotted around Meridian. To date most experts had believed the rarest fox breed to be the albino fox, a white breed, found almost exclusively in the countryside around the town of Midvale, so rare is the albino fox that it is considered an endangered species and appears on the WMOESR. The picture above is of course not an albino fox, or any of the breeds mentioned so far in this article, it is a pink or pink champagne fox cub. The discovery was made by the Royal Fellowship for the Conservation and Protection of the Countryside, Environment and Animals (RFCPCEA) during their annual census of the albino fox population, as explained by a spokesperson who said: "According to all our wild life census's the pink fox was last seen a century ago, there have been no recorded sightings since, the species was believed extinct, whether it actually was or not we will never know due to the breeding, a pink fox is bred by cross breeding a red fox, albino fox, gray fox and other species, the progenitor species being more common in relative terms means the pink fox could have died out and then by the slightest chance been reborn. Our discovery was of a family of an adult male and adult female with five cubs. We'll be adding the species to our list of species for this years WMOESR."

NORTHWIND CLASS CONFIRMED AMID AIR FORCE EXERCISES

By Penny Noble: Defence Correspondent

It's been long awaited and delayed for a variety of reasons mostly of a technological nature but over twenty years on from its first mention in the Defence Review of 2000, the so called 'SCGSW' now named the Northwind Class has been confirmed as being under construction, the confirmation came from Minister of Defence Adam Sheppard following speculation about activity spotted at Whirlpool Shipyard. Speaking to the press the Minister said "The Northwind class represents the final recommendation of the 2000 review being met, construction of the first ship has begun and we'll see what the eventual testing brings, we hope it will live up to its billing, a cutting edge vessel across the board." The Minister was speaking while attending scheduled Air Force training exercises which saw several new pieces of equipment tested including a first test firing of the Heaven's Dagger hypersonic cruise missile, which was registered as a success although further tests are planned, and the 'Jolt Pod' which needs further work as the Minister explained "Heaven's Dagger represents the first foray for Achkaerin's military with a weapon of this type a proof of concept if you will, today's results show it has potential though we need to do more testing before thinking about rolling it out. The Jolt Pod needs a little more development but such is the way of things." The Minister declined to comment on further specifics.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:52:00 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2023, 05:24:30 PM »

NAVY SENT TO TOKARA ISLANDS AMID INCIDENT RESPONSE

By: Roisin Shaughnessy: Chief Correspondent

Achkaerinese naval assets stationed at Antares base have been ordered to the Tokara Islands as part of a response to the recent incident which saw Rokkenjiman aircraft engage and shoot down their Daitojin counterparts without provocation, the deployment featuring the INS Seonaid Ayanami (pictured above) is to operate in a peacekeeping manner to deter both sides in this from further escalation. The move is likely to be the final deployment from the base as the Achkaerinese Government has announced that it is revoking the lease for QCMB and giving Rokkenjiman forces until the end of the month to depart. A final step has seen the Achkaerinese embassy in Rokkenjima closed, further measures have not been ruled out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2023, 10:22:57 PM »

MILITARY CARRY OUT SECOND HEAVEN'S DAGGER TEST

The Heaven's Dagger hypersonic missile has undergone a second test this time in the hands of the Navy, though precise details regarding the missile have not been  released details regarding the test have been - the test missile was launched from the INS Mossflower and successfully struck its intended target six hundred kilometres away at a speed of mach seven. While not stated the fact that the navy conducted this test has been viewed as a very clear indication of the missile's multi platform nature, something not uncommon and perhaps expected. Analysts have speculated that, given the controlled nature of the test, the range and speed of Heaven's Dagger may exceed that demonstrated. Speaking following the test a spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said "The Government is happy with the initial results of today's test and our first foray into the hypersonic arena, we will now await more detailed analysis and go from there. "

CAIRNS CONJURES VICTORY IN ARTAXIA

By Felicity Stewart: Sports Correspondent

It was an exceptional day for Achkaerinese cycling with victory in both the mens and womens races at the Midvale-Artaxia Classic. In the mens race Andrew Mason after making a late breakaway held off the challenges of Daisaku Fujimoto and Lars Aaltonen to take the sprint victory over the cobbles of the Royal Mile. While in the womens race a Phoenix Cycling instigated breakaway led by Chihaya Lei and Maria Cairns at two thirds distance broke the peloton apart and then on the ascent through Artaxia, Cairns surged clear as part of a trio with Daria Pasternak and Nanami Esashika, taking the final technical sprint on the line, a sight rarely seen as most editions of this classic end with solo victories. Speaking afterwards Maria Cairns said "Winning this once was unbelievable, to win it for a second time is even more so. We'd talked about how to go about this, what to do and with Sammy being the marked rider we lined up to take advantage of that and it worked, Chihaya got me in a breakaway and when we looked around we felt like we fancied our chances and once she got me past the last long flat I went for it and got there just."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:43:13 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2023, 08:33:53 PM »

NERGAL STATION ARRIVES IN ORBIT

By Kimberly Thorn: Science and Technology Correspondent

Nergal Station, the Achkaerin Space Agency's intended long term base camp for study and exploration of the red planet, has arrived in orbit of Nergal ahead of the planned Enterprise mission in 2024. The station carries multiple docking berths for vessels like Enterprise and Sojourner as well as berths for landers allowing not only for the cycling of crew and replenishing of supplies but also continued exploration and study of Nergal in the period between launch windows. Speaking on this Director of Flight Operations Nicola Fernley said: "Exploring beyond the moon has many challenges, we've said this before. The major hurdle is in the logistics of launch windows, they only come along so often, it doesn't matter if it's Nergal, Marduck, Titan or beyond they are something we wrestle with, there is an element of risk to having a station essentially isolated for significant periods of time but the same risks exist aboard Pegasus Station, the difference is distance which is why we're taking plenty of steps in advance to safeguard. Infrastructure is going to be the name of the game as we look to go further out there."

Miss Fernley also commented on the Ozzie success the Agency had had with their documentary on the Oracle Space Telescope saying "Documentaries like that are why we do what we do, to share what we find out there and maybe just maybe we inspire the next generation of explorers."

QUESTIONS ABOUND AS BARON WATERSTONE SPOTTED IN ATTICA

By Olivia Moore: International News Correspondent

Questions abounded following the sighting of Baron Sebastian Waterstone of Lakeside in Attica, a somewhat unusual location to spot an Achkaerinese noble. When asked for the reason the Baron's office stated "The Baron is the Chancellor of the Lakeside College of Economics and is visiting Attica to extend the College's invitation to the Queen of Attica to speak at this years spring graduation, given the Queen's quite successful economic background and substantive knowledge in this area the invitation is quite routine practice."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:59:07 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2023, 09:28:42 PM »

SENATES MOTIONS TO IMPEACH EMPEROR

By Roisin Shaughnessy: Chief Correspondent

In a historic first the Senate has voted, unanimously, to file impeachment charges against Emperor Peter the grounds for doing so being the Emperor's incapacity making him unfit to hold office. The unanimity of the vote was far from unexpected given that the Emperor is stiil in a coma, speaking following the announcement of the vote the Consul, Michael Williams addressed the Senate saying "Mr Speaker I wish to pay tribute to all members of this House, today we have sat and listened to evidence for a great many hours and everyone has been gracious, thoughtful and attentive on this historic day when we have carried out this most solemn of our proceedings for the first time in respect of a sitting monarch. I would like to extend the Senates thanks to Ms Hope for presenting the Government's case and to Ms Acheson for providing the other side of the discussion. This is not a condemnation of the Emperor, this is a finding of fact, he is not currently fit for office and may not be for some time if ever, continuity of government and leadership required this constitutional step. Once again I thank all those involved."

The Noble Moot is expected to deliberate the Senate motion in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:45:12 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2023, 08:09:43 PM »

EMPEROR IMPEACHED, COUNTDOWN TO CORONATION BEGINS

The Noble Moot has voted to impeach Emperor Peter on the grounds of incapacity effectively ending the Emperor's near twenty one year reign. The result was the expected outcome of the proceedings. In passing the motion the Noble Moot noted that Emperor Peter would be granted the title of Emeritus and that he would continue to hold the title of Duke of Rosemoor. Within moments of the decision the Changing of the Colours took place, a ceremonial function that sees the national flag lowered across the nation and the provincial flags raised in place, the act is a nod to the manner in which this process in pre Constitution times was conducted. The Noble Moot also an hour later issued the proclamation of Crown Princess Serenity to be Empress starting the countdown to a coronation. Doctor Donna Steele, Achkaerin's representative to the CETO, explained what to expect saying: "The impeachment of the Emperor puts two processes in motion, first there's the ceremonial - the pomp, the pageantry and the
 patriotism, the destruction of the symbols of office and the forging of the new ones that ends in the coronation. But there's also the legal process, within the next twenty four hours the Noble's proclamation will be joined by those of the People, represented by the Senate, and the military. These three proclamations grant the Crown Princess
 the authority of Empress in all but name, it's how continuity of government is ensured rather than having periods of uncertainty."

« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:46:19 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2023, 02:52:07 PM »

CROWDS GATHER AHEAD OF CORONATION

Crowds have flocked to the streets of Valtheim ahead of the coronation of Crown Princess Serenity as Empress, along the processional route from the Marble Palace to the Temple of the Daughters members of the public have essentially pitched camp to get good vantage points of the various processions that will occur on the day. Initial estimates suggest that this will be one of the highest concentrations of people in Valtheim on a given day in recorded history, the last highest being the 2015 Football World Cup Final in which Achkaerin beat Dartfordia 1-0. Valtheim Police have stated that "We're expecting a very sizable crowd on Coronation day and we're confident in our ability to keep everyone safe throughout the duration of the days festivities." The Crown Princess has spent some of today attending the weekly Questions for the Crown session in the Senate, which turned out to be a far more lighthearted affair than is normally the case with questions mainly focusing on who would the Crown Princess dance with first at the coronation ball and had she been practicing her signature. The serious business of government is expected to resume following the coronation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:00:15 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2023, 02:41:34 PM »

EMPRESS SERENITY CROWNED

Serenity Azurewind has been crowned Empress of Achkaerin in a ceremony at the Temple of the Daughters. The ceremony, attended by leaders from across Mundus saw the usual traditional elements beginning with the challenge of the Guard, the pledge of the Crown, the affirmations of the people, the Nine Grand Nobles and then the Brave before finally the crowning itself. Perhaps the most intriguing and hotly debated thing in advance of the coronation was the question of what was the Empress going to wear? Well she chose to wear a white dress, with the expected blue cloak but it was the various accessories that made a statement, securing the cloak in place were two brooches one a representation of the torque that the nation of Nya Aland gifted her as wedding present some years ago, the second bore the insignia of the Ngāti Paoa iwi, the iwi that adopted Achkaerin during the Matariki of 2017, around her neck was the amulet of sovereignty representing her authority in Revana. When asked for comment the Royal Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright said "The Empress has over her years of diplomatic service been to a great many events in a great many nations and become someone who is quite friendly with many of them it's not surprising that she would choose to display things that represent who she has become over those years." The coronation was watched nationwide while the streets of the capital were lined with well wishers out to celebrate the day.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:47:50 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2023, 12:22:48 AM »

RADIO SHOW MARKS CENTENARY WITH ROYAL SPECIAL

By Zoe Tate: Entertainment Correspondent

With the Achkaerinese Broadcasting Corporation still celebrating its centenary year, many of the stalwart radio shows have also been celebrating anniversaries the most notable of these being Desert Island Discs as it celebrates eighty years of programming. The format of the program sees a guest otherwise known as the "castaway" marooned, by their imagination, on a desert island with three books (one of which is the complete works of Shakespeare and another is a religious or philosophical work), eight recordings (which are usually but not always music) and a luxury item (which must be inanimate), the idea being that the various choices allow the castaway to review their life by discussion of the aforementioned choices. Regular listeners to the program this week got a surprise as the castaway was Empress Serenity. What were her choices and why? Well they're as follows:

The book: The Complete Works of J.R.R Tolkien - "These were the stories that my dad used to read to me when I was a kid, these were the stories I studied in school, revised for exams and these are the stories that have been my escape a great many times."

The Music:

Piece 1 - Hushabye Mountain (from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) - "One of my earliest memories is hearing my mother sing this when I had trouble sleeping, which was an awful lot of the time when I was very very young, it was my comfort, my sanctuary knowing that you had that perceived invincible figure there and that nothing could harm you. All the monsters under the bed, ghosts under the stairs or whatever they were. It was a way of resetting your mind and everything else, it still is for me."

Piece 2 - All Time High (Rita Coolidge) - "I don't think there's any surprise I'd include this, it's the song that was the first dance at mine and Isaac's wedding, it was a joint pick and it was the words that sold it to us because it was practically our story neither of us were really looking for anything in New Reach when we met, then we ended up playing basketball and a week later he's flying over to Valtheim, after that we were practically speaking inseparable."

Piece 3 - On My Own (from Les Miserables) - "Back in 2015 I had the pleasure to play the part of Eponine in our production of Les Miserables as part of the Edelweiss Festival. It was a fun and weird experience for a few reasons, Simon was playing Marius which was odd because Eponine has a romantic thing for Marius but obviously Simon's my brother so it was a little difficult. It's a song that hits differently in places for me now because I do think about Isaac a lot and the references in the last verse basically describe things I've done a lot over the years since I lost him."

Piece 4 - Brave (Beau Dermott) - "One of the big things I've done in my life so far was finding myself in the position of CTO Secretary-General at the time when the Andean Genocide was being dealt with, those will probably go down as some of the most difficult days of my life because what should have been a simple case of agreement became a battle of wills so to speak, one I'm happy was won because to concede to Rokkenjima in that instance would have set a most dangerous precedent that people can be above the law that is not a principle I subscribe to, whether you're the highest of the high or the lowest of the low all are equal before the law and all have recourse to the law, that's the guiding principle of justice. At the time it was even more difficult because I have to sign off on a resolution that effectively charges people I know with crimes that I can't believe they've committed but the responsibility is not to judge based on opinion but fact and the facts were clear, it happened, steps were missed, meetings didn't happen, messages weren't sent, authorisation not sought and reports not investigated. Sometimes we wonder what would Rokkenjima be now if Beatrice Anselmo's signature had never adorned the Sakura-Umeko Accord. We'll never know but we do know that history pivots on such moments whether for good or not. I've never regretted my role in the aftermath of the genocide because securing justice was imperative to resolve the matter, but the question will always wander around my head 'what if...' it's one of those things I'll have to live with."

Piece 5 - All Our Days (Jeff & Casey Lee Williams) - "This is probably my weirdest pick but it's for my daughters. They've both been through a lot Lisa spent years away from me and it took us a long time to get to know each other after I got her back, and Astrid well I don't need to say much about everything she's been through, having to learn sign language, having to adjust to a new normal for her. I'm in awe of both of them at times because when you go through dark times and get knocked about it's easy to break but I haven't seen that from them, they've taken everything in their stride and I couldn't be prouder of them, it's weird to think that we're almost at the point of Lisa going to high school and Astrid won't be far behind."

Piece 6 - Sound of Surviving (Nichole Norderman) - "I guess when I think about this song it reminds me about being captured by terrorists twice and ultimately getting blown up while on duty in the navy but also the recovery from the latter it was always more a mental thing and that's where Legionnaire Legacy came in, I'm not forgetting that group of rugby loving tough guys anytime soon, not least because they kept knocking me out of the wheelchair every time we played rugby. But it's always hard when something life changing throws you off but as long as you don't let it get to you and you have the right people around you it gets better, that's a lesson I've learned a fair few times."

Piece 7 - Run (Leona Lewis) - "Sport means a great many things to many different people on Mundus, it's been a fun part and a healing part of my life. I supposedly hold a Mundus Games record of three gold medals in three different sports, winning the basketball in 2015 in East Moreland was big, winning the Pentathlon in Tytor was surprising but I missed out on the Heptathlon that year and then I got blown up and never thought I'd completely recover. The surgery in East Moreland was something I never imagined possible and I wasn't completely sold on it but then I got all these messages from the people I'd met and played the odd game of wheelchair rugby with over at Legionnaire Legacy telling me to go for it. Once I was recovered from the surgery the Mundus Games loomed up on the horizon and I had this unfinished business with the Heptathlon so I started running again, then I started throwing and then I started jumping, I even recruited my two daughters to help. Just getting to the start line of the hurdles was something special and it wasn't easy after that I remember lining up for the eight hundred metres knowing I had the overall lead, looking down at my left foot and thinking 'hold together just a little longer' I thought it was going to come off with how much it ached after that race, but it was either do it or wallow around at home."

Piece 8 - Sunshine on Leith (The Proclaimers) - "As a Leith A.F.C fan this is something I originally knew as a football chant but it's come to mean a lot more in more recent times. It's something especially in the last few days when I've listened to it I've thought about more as a promise, similar to the national anthem in that way, the Empress to the people of the nation she serves. But if I was going to be a bit more selfish about the pick I guess it's something signifying something which was always going to be difficult for me - moving on. After Isaac I was always worried about what came next, I can put up a good front but inside I was broken, and then we come to the last few months it's got better, I don't know what was behind it but having someone right there with you is always
the same even if the person is different and hopefully we'll be together for a long time to come."

The Luxury Item: "It's got to be my pool table, with the cues and the balls obviously, the one I'm thinking of lives at Commonwealth House though I'm thinking about moving it up here, the bed is made of toughened glass so you don't have the knap of the cloth that you get on other tables when you play some shots at certain speeds, would probably have to go in the shade of a palm tree so it doesn't get way too warm."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:48:35 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2023, 04:21:27 PM »

EMPRESS ATTENDS PRIDE FESTIVAL

The month long Pride Festival in Liberty Square had a special guest today as Empress Serenity, joined festival goers in the celebrations. The Empress was accompanied by Princess Euphemia of Rokkenjima which has been taken as confirmation of a relationship between the two and marks the first time they've been seen publicly as a couple. This years festival, which began at the start of the month, includes many popular Achkaerinese musical acts as well as drama companies, plenty of dancing and a new addition this year - open air weddings in the square. It's always been possible to have same sex marriages in places of worship, in accordance with the view of the respective faith, however for the purposes of the festival the City of Valtheim Council has issued a marriage venue license to the square itself and in a first of its kind domestically the license is multi denominational allowing those of all faiths or none to utilise it. The Empress commented on the festivities saying: "Festivals like this are a testament to how far Mundus has come that things previously viewed as wrong, demented or mental instability are now accepted for what they are - displays of love and identity."

« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:49:19 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2023, 07:43:12 PM »

ACHKAERIN CARDINAL TRIALS ONLINE COMMUNION

By Georgina Lane: Faith Correspondent

The most sacred of the Christian sacraments, regardless of denomination, is Holy Communion which put simply involves the sharing of bread and wine within the gathered congregation. Today Cardinal Martin Deed (pictured above) administered the sacrament in an online format as he included it in his midweek online worship which prompted outcry from some quarters and intrigue from others. The Cardinal is known to be highly critical of certain practices within the Church and an advocate for change, the last time he spoke out it sparked the still ongoing protests outside the Ecclesiastical State embassy in Valtheim. When asked about this apparent controversy the Cardinal said: "I accept that it's different but I believe that the Church must recognise that it doesn't exist inside a bubble, the messages that we as preachers deliver week after week are shaped in part by the world around us. I answered God's call many years ago and have been a preacher for a large amount of the time since, in that time society has changed, we've entered into the digital revolution, we now have the capability to use technology to reach a far larger number of people, our congregations exist now as they always have not just within but beyond the walls of our places of worship for that is the nature of itinerant ministry. So while I understand there are those who will always back away from the new because it is the new I believe that this method of Communion is theologically permissible. We accept God as all powerful and as existing outside of linear time and existing all around us, so if God exists everywhere does that not include existing in cyberspace? If the answer to that be yes then we accept that God's power extends into the online world which surely means that online worship including the Sacraments becomes possible, if the answer be no then we are limiting God and that's counter to what we believe, it is not the place of the created to limit the creator."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:50:42 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2023, 04:57:02 PM »

GAMES COMING HOME

By Nick Watson: Sports Correspondent

"The Mundus Games for 2023 are awarded to the City of Valtheim" - the declaration from the Mundus Games Committee greeted by cheers and celebrations across the capital, the great festival of sport that can trace its origins to Moonvale on the banks of Foxton Lake is coming home a decade on from their reincarnation as the Mundus Games. The Valtheim bid drew on both the history of the Games and the ambition of the Achkaerinese team to deliver the occasion. Iconic venues such as the Fox's Den, where the Achkaerinese won the 2015 football world cup will be used, the Sammy Lawson velodrome often referred to as the "medal factory" will finally have its moment on the big stage, and in a nod to the history of the Games Foxton Lake will host the rowing events while the Goddess's Court, the arena of gladiators in ages gone by makes a little more history for itself by becoming the oldest building to stage an event as it is to host the Medieval Mixed Martial Arts. The centre piece is the Djana Azurewind Stadium which will of course host the athletics as well as the opening and closing ceremonies which it has been confirmed are to be directed by three time Ozzie winning director Jemma Fox. Reacting to the news of the Games being awarded Empress Serenity, just prior to the opening of the Festival of Sail in East Moreland which she is attending, said - "To be hosting the Mundus Games is a great honour and privilege especially in their tenth anniversary year. I would like to thank the team that put together the bid, figured out the venues and crafted this magnificent balance of heritage, modernism and ambition. I know people have been asking am I going to try and defend my heptathlon title? Not this year, it's been a very busy last few months and I'm nowhere near competition ready, however I'm looking forward to watching the Games and getting to know people during them."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2023, 11:02:26 PM »

EMPRESS GIVES HER FIRST COVENANT ADDRESS

Empress Serenity has delivered her first Covenant Address, the traditional speech given by the Crown to the Senate, in keeping with the reign of her father there were many familiar events on the day itself - the Empress visited the temple of Namis and attended the traditional boat race between the universities of Artaxia and Freshwater, presenting both winning trophies to Freshwater, the Empress also spent time with family before making the traditional walk to the home of the Senate, Liberty Hall, where she gave the speech, the full text is below:

The Covenant Address 2023[/size]

Mr Speaker, Honourable Senators, my Lord’s, Ladies and gentlemen, all those watching across our nation and the world. Tonight I come to this most sacred chamber of democracy to give a speech that apparently earns me a place in the record books as the youngest monarch of this Empire to deliver the Covenant Address, not a record I ever thought would be mine but mine it is. My father did twenty of these addresses and for each one he gave a title, that’s a tradition I intend to continue,and I take the title for tonight from the musical version of the Lord of the Rings and the music “The Song of Hope.” Before anyone says it no I’m not saying I’m Aragorn or Arwen that’s not my point, my point is despite all that is thrown at us every day, all the challenges we face, there is one indisputable fact time waits for no one, we still stand, we still endure and we still walk along the road before us one step at a time.

It’s strange to think that I’m only the second woman to deliver this address, the last time it happened was of course Empress Djana, when she delivered this address for the first time this building was still the school of philosophy, a place where our greatest thinkers came together and discussed the great issues of the time, debating long into the night on occasion. When she signed the Constitution of our nation she didn’t do it at the Marble Palace, she didn’t sign it in a temple, she didn’t sign it in the Noble Moot. No our Constitution was signed out in the middle of Liberty Square on a simple wooden table, made by a local carpenter in full view of everyone, the eternal contract between Crown, Senate and the People put together not behind closed doors but out in the open for all to witness, for all to hear. And here over three hundred years later I stand and that document is as strong as ever, our commitments both domestically and internationally have bound us together with friends. We’re a nation forged by sword, shield and spear in a war nobody asked for but we’re a nation sustained by all the oaths made throughout our history. Next year we will mark the tenth anniversary of our signature to several of the pillars of international law and I’m fully expecting that we will end up doing so in all the glorious pomp and pageantry that this nation expects for such an occasion - the flowery stuff can wait for the appropriate points next year but ceremony is one thing, words are one thing, anyone can sign a document but you have to back that up with action, you have to live up to your obligations or those words are meaningless. No one should be under any illusions that this nation signed that raft of international treaties because we saw all our principles contained within them - equality, justice, freedom. And it is that vision, that understanding and our own moral grounding that means we will abide by that which we signed, that means we will back it up with action and that we will hold our fellow signatories to the mark. Why is it we do so? Because there’s no place for tokenism when it comes to the law, you don’t get to sign something and then ignore it when it’s convenient, it’s not one rule for you and another for everyone else. All are equal before the law because justice is blind and justice is accessible to all.

I was there when this sacred principle was tested, I was there the day that the international community upheld this principle, I may have damaged my hand banging it on a podium at some point that day as well but I was and always will be thankful for the integrity shown that day because to not do so would have been to say that some can be above the law and escape accountability. That is how democracies turn to dictatorships, it’s how good leaders turn into tyrants, it’s how open nations become police states, we were reminded not that long ago just how slippery that slope is, we saw one nation near enough destroy its own democracy rather than trust it and when they got called on it, rather than listen they doubled down, the various paths of life are most certainly paved with good intentions but one should never use the sledgehammer to crack the nut especially in politics it has the unfortunate possibility of hitting your own hand as collateral. With power comes responsibility, there cannot be power without responsibility on the part of those who wield it or our entire world will crumble like a house of cards, irresponsible use of power must always be challenged and checked because when we speak truth to power, when we hold those in power accountable we are exercising our rights to do so, just go out to the square in front of the Ecclesiastical State embassy, site of the longest running protest in our nations history it’ll be five years in November, the observed right to criticise, to say you’re wrong, to speak your opinion without fear. Those who would deny such basic freedoms and wave off such criticism when voiced need to take a long look in the mirror for as one particular iconic character of science fiction observes “matter of internal security, the age old cry of the oppressor.”

I’ve spoken many times about slavery in recent years, I’ve been very critical of various aspects around it including how the nation that is the chief proponent of the practice was allowed to not only continue it unchecked but prosper through it. In all seriousness that isn’t acceptable. The Mundus Convention of Universal Rights and the Abrahamic Declaration both outlaw slavery, between them those two documents are signed by a large chunk of the international community and yet one signatory was allowed to act contrary to this position without consequence, and it gets worse there is a long list of prominent international figures who have done business in the slave trade and only one prosecution has arisen from that and let’s be clear this includes people whose signature is on one of those documents. It’s simply not good enough is it? There are things that define who we are as a people, struggles that show our progress as a people, we did it with nuclear weapons, it took a long time but we got there we got rid of them. Just because something has always been a certain way doesn’t mean we can’t do better. The fight against slavery is one of the most significant challenges of our time and it is one that we must overcome and that means taking action to combat it, it means making the hard choices and it means sending a very clear message that one person cannot own another. Those days were consigned to the pages of history by the majority of the world a long time ago and that’s where it should remain. All those held in slavery and servitude deserve the best efforts of everyone who signed up to outlaw the practice to bring about the end of it. We will do our part in that and we hope others will continue to do theirs. Together we will cast slavery back into the abyss, that’s not a threat, that’s a promise and it’s a promise very easy to be kept. Before someone says this is warmongering no it’s not, I don’t desire a violent confrontation any more than the next person, what I do know is that the back door Tamora had with Mundus has been closed, its access to international markets is restricted and will remain restricted, the international community was slow out of the gates last time around, I wouldn’t bet on it being so again.

A year ago Achkaerin left the CSTO and served notice of intent to leave the CSU, in a couple of weeks time the CSU departure will be complete, many have asked why this happened. It happened because the CSTO as it is was served no purpose and gave no benefit in exchange for that membership, both organisations essentially duplicated pre-existing ties and there was no march of progress in fact every time progress was attempted it was shouted down. I’m not worried about belonging to no bloc, as a nation we’ve charted that course before and we’re more than capable of doing that again. In recent weeks my focus has been understandably on domestic matters but in the coming weeks I will be looking outwards again, I hope to get to visit many different nations and meet many different leaders and hopefully make many new friends as well. I share my father’s belief that we can a lot by experiencing different things and by making new friends we can foster understandings that avoid or help handle problems later down the line, communication and conversation is always the first resort, we have a friendship network of which we can be proud and rightly so but we won’t stop there we’ll seek to expand it.

In a few weeks time we will host in our nation the great festival of sport that is the Mundus Games, in more ancient times these were held at Moonvale on the banks of Foxton Lake and now in their tenth year since being brought back in a modern form, we get the chance to bring the sporting world to our nation and to put on the biggest show of the year. It was quite the interesting experience to be involved in making the video that formed the bid presentation and it also develops a great appreciation for all those who work on both sides of the camera. Like many people across the world I’m looking forward to seeing the best of Mundus in action in the great competitions of strength, speed, skill and endurance. To those that spearheaded our bid I can only say you brought the Games home, well done and you have the grateful thanks of a nation for that achievement. I hold a little bit of Mundus Games history myself in having won three gold medals in three different sports which I was amazed to discover puts me at the top of some ranking or other. Anyway someone, namely my brother, got hold of this information and decided it would be a good idea for me to do something in the build up. So in the coming days as we build up to the Games opening ceremony I shall be finding out what it’s like to take part in each of the sports on the Games program, some of these I’m looking forward to and some of them will be more challenging and not to plug this too much but the last time I was on a trampoline it didn’t go so well.

Year on year we call on our brave citizens in uniform to put themselves in harms way to defend ourselves and our friends. Earlier this year we found ourselves in a trickier than usual position as two of our friends engaged in conflict with each other, we were forced to put ourselves between them. This they did and they did it in the professional manner that we have come to expect from them, fortunately nothing came of the stand off and diplomatic heads eventually prevailed. But this is a reminder of what we ask of those who protect us and we know that the capability to defend ourselves and others is an ever changing equation, it is with that in mind that we will continue our vigilance and our innovation. We will continue to maintain one of the most professional, mobile, highly trained, best trained and experienced militaries on Mundus, we will continue to evolve and we will continue to defend ourselves and our allies with the same conviction and principles we always have and always will. A question that has been asked a few times, especially recently, is how do we maintain fighting effectiveness in relation to the changing climate of our planet? After all the fuel which propels our tanks, ships and aircraft oil is finite, it will run out one day, I don’t profess to know when that will be but I know it is an inevitability at some point. The answer that the Ministry of Defence has forms part of a larger energy shift, some of this has already begun to happen but let’s be clear what’s going to happen, we will begin to transform our military from one that relies on the finite to one that relies on the renewable, and then using what we learn and develop as we go we will continue the march towards zero carbon on schedule, we will continue to secure our energy independence and security. We will continue to build a nation that our children, grandchildren and all the generations to come will be proud to call their home. Achkaerin is deserving of our very best, Mundus is deserving of our very best, let’s give it our very best, let’s be bold, let’s be ambitious, let’s reach for the stars. That Mr Speaker is my hope and I commend this statement to the House.

[/size]

The address had plenty of questions in advance of it - what style would the Empress adopt? What would be her focus? What would she choose to speak about? The Empress in the end chose a traditional style reminiscent of her father which in itself is perhaps to be expected as she continues to settle into the role. Overall the Marble Palace will be happy with how the speech has gone and how positive the initial reactions to it are. Tonight was billed as a 'getting to know you' moment, the first major speech of the Empress's reign, and she came out strong, clear, personable and principled.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:03:51 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2023, 06:53:10 PM »

GOVERNMENT ISSUES TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS ON KALASIN

By David Woods: Political Correspondent

Following the threat of secession made by the Kalasin Regional Assembly the Achkaerinese Government has issued travel restrictions on the nation, announcing the move in the Senate Minister of Foreign Affairs Richard Chambers (pictured above) said "The measures we take today are for the protection of our citizens in the event of escalation and civil conflict. We are immediately ordering the suspension of all travel to the nation of Kalasin from Achkaerinese territory, we strongly advise any tourists in country to make arrangements to leave and if they are having trouble to immediately contact the Achkaerinese embassy or regional consulate. This is a preemptive action but by acting in advance of any potential escalation to the situation we hope to minimise the potential for civilians to be caught in the crossfire, if this doesn't escalate then this is a happy overreaction but if it does then it means that we have things in motion to safeguard civilians. The Government will of course continue to monitor the situation in Kalasin and will bring further measures as appropriate."

ADMIRAL HARPER CONCERNED BY IGNORANCE AND COMPLACENCY

Admiral Lucas Harper of the Achkaerinese Navy appeared before the Senate's defence committee today to discuss the latest version of the Harper-Cŕidh manual, the document is an evolution of the guidelines for armed conflicts at sea that have been employed by the Achkaerinese navy for the last thirty years, the manual is expected to be presented for formal adoption following this final scrutinising process . In the course of questioning the Admiral was asked by one committee member about comments made by Hiraoka Toshiko, a naval warfare expert employed by Abstergo Industries about the Zircon missile, and what he thought about them to which the Admiral said:

"Ms Toshiko's comments read like a decent paper however they are largely based on supposition and speculation and reliant on things that are not wholly correct. Start with the claims around the 'tracking' this is at minimum technically false and Ms Toshiko has provided the argument that indicates this, the Zircon missile does as she describes due to air pressure fly within a plasma sheath which absorbs radio waves and other such things to do with the missiles targeting however what she doesn't say is that the effect of the plasma is the same when trying to detect and track the missile from the targets perspective, it's called plasma stealth, so by simply traveling at hypersonic speed you have a situation where the missile is highly unlikely to be detectable. You then have to consider that what makes the Zircon the deadly threat that it is is that the speed the missile travels at does not give anywhere near sufficient time for any counter reaction and even supposing it does need to drop speed to acquire the target you're then in the realms of pitting a targeting computers reaction time against a humans and we all know who wins that one. Fifteen seconds is a very generous estimate, my understanding is that it would be closer to ten seconds but either way you have to consider what physically happens in that time because it's not a yawning chasm it's the blink of an eye, first the computer detects it, then the report is made - now assuming that the ship has not been struck while the report is being given, and such a strike is highly likely to be the case, the person in command at that point has to then give an evasive action order and the ship must then turn to that course and increase speed significantly that without question will take longer than the window of time between detection and impact. The suggestion that the Zircon can "fly fast or hit a moving vessel, it cannot do both," is therefore falsified by this point, because the fifteen second window is based on a Zircon flying at mach 5-6 which is hypersonic speeds or to put it another way fast, equally as we assume that proposed scenario is occuring in the final stage of its trajectory when it is utilising sea skimming capabilities to make detection even more difficult the suggestion of the missile can either be hypersonic or it may be low observable, but it cannot be both in tandem is also refuted. You don't take chances in warfare, you don't assume that you have an advantage unless you know you have an advantage, absence of information does not mean absence of capability, Kaitaine had more than enough time to develop this missile and must be assumed to have the support capability to field it and Miss Toshiko would do well to ground her opinions in solid fact and evidence rather than an unfortunate typical Rokkenjiman assumption about equipment capability. Let's put this whole claim into perspective at Mach 8 the Zircon can hit a target at nine hundred kilometres away in about five minutes and thirty seconds. The fastest military naval vessel out there can in ideal conditions hit sixty knots so assuming it has the engines right up to max in such conditions it can only cover just over ten kilometres between the launch and impact so once the missile acquires the target that's about two seconds or so to impact at Mach 8. Taking an average speed of twenty knots means the ship has only moved three kilometres, but remember that's at nine hundred kilometres the shorter the range, the less time between launch and impact and the less distance can be covered by the ship in the meantime. Miss Toshiko's opinion is based on unlikely circumstances being prevalent, assumes a level of efficiency on the part of a ships crew that is well beyond the physically capable and relies on what is quite likely an unsubstantiated hypothesis as to the technological capability of a state actor it is a flawed analysis. Is the Zircon a significant danger? Yes, does that mean you abandon hope when facing it? No but what you don't do is treat the threat as if it's anything less than what experienced military personnel know it to be."

LODJA NIGHT AT EDELWEISS

By Zoe Tate: Entertainment Correspondent

It's become something of a tradition now but the Lodja Prom had its fifth outing at the Edelweiss festival last night, the special evening sees the oval section of the Royal Theatre floor vacated by festival goers and taken over by dancers including staff from the Lodjan embassy, professional dancers and VIP's including Prince Jack Azurewind and his Lodjan girlfriend Lady Katyusha Andronikashivili (pictured above), the pair are regular attendees at various balls throughout the Lodjan ball season usually including one in the Duchy of Qudaghlo a region of Lodja where Lady Katyusha is from, the couple have been together for almost four years having met while the Prince was studying music at university in Lodja, a course he graduated from earlier this year. There's been increased speculation about the couple's future in recent months with some wondering if wedding bells are likely to be in the offing, there has been no official comment on this from the Marble Palace or the family of Lady Katyusha.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:54:17 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »

EMPRESS GIVES THOUGHTS ON ASSEMBLY OF NATIONS

It was perhaps inevitable that during this weeks Questions for the Crown session that Empress Serenity would be asked about the Assembly of Nations mentioned in a social media post by the Empress of Rokkenjima, the question put by Minister for the Diplomatic Office (and former CTO ambassador) Cheryl Holmes was "Can I ask Her Majesty what she thinks of the proposed Assembly of Nations and whether she would commit Achkaerin to it at this time?" In answering the Empress said:

"I thank the Minister for her question, my answer is going to sound an awful lot like the answer King David of East Moreland gave when answering Tim Carpenter. On paper the idea of a grand diplomatic forum for all the world sounds like a brilliant idea, a place where nations can sit together and address the issues of the day, but organisations of this type not only require debate they require willingness to enforce and/or carry out the actions agreed to. The Commonwealth Treaty Organisation was conceived in 2015 in the aftermath of the fall of the USR, the collapse of the warsaw alliance and the end of the eugenics war in Seaforth, it was entered into at a time when every month seemed to be bringing a new crisis and a fresh military deployment whether for peacekeeping, combat or humanitarian purposes. The idea of the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation therefore made sense in 2015 and critically had an international community that was prepared to take the leap of faith together but through the course of time we got to a point where it became very obvious that the burden of taking the organisations actions was falling on the same two nations every time, both Achkaerin and East Moreland without complaint sent forces into harms way shoulder to shoulder, we'd done it before the CTO, we did it during the CTO and we have done it after both nations left the CTO, if you consider crises in recent times you will find at least one of East Moreland or Achkaerin playing a part in resolving them, whether together or alone our nations have played and continue to play their part, if there is one thing East Moreland can be assured of it's that when they need help Achkaerin will be there, and we have buried more than our fair share of dead defending what we stand for and this is what largely led to the demise of the CTO. Consider that the CTO comprised upwards of fifteen nations some with far larger military capabilities than either ourselves or East Moreland and yet they sat back and let the hammer fall on the same two nations every time, it got commented about a lot at the time but the legacy of the CTO is an organisation that had great potential but in the end is a trail of empty and broken promises. The most common example is well known during the Marseilles crisis Rokkenjima pledged thirty thousand grounds troops, significant naval assets and a lot of airpower to the CTOMM such a contribution would have made a significant difference but not one Rokkenjiman soldier, ship or aircraft ended up in theatre. Then it gets even more unbelievable while a genocide is happening in Royal Seleucid the CTO is being bombarded with all manner of resolutions attempting to undo arguably the most important resolution it ever passed, is it any wonder East Moreland and ourselves took unilateral action? And more than that having taken such action successfully and having seen that does it not then suggest that something was wrong with the CTO?

But here's the most significant point - the Mundus of 2023 is not the Mundus of 2015, we are not lurching from crisis to crisis without chance to catch our breath, this is actually the calmest Mundus has been in a long time, I dispute that we're in a wild west, if we ever were that was back in 2014-2016 but now? No. The political and diplomatic landscape between then and now has changed significantly, we've seen the rise of regional organisations - MICA, TUNA, Ardian Assembly, SOI all developing and all capable of resolving crises when they occur and some of them have managed to do so without recourse to a CTO esque body, so it begs the question does Mundus need a CTO type body? At this point I'm not convinced it does, and given the amount of skepticism that is present in the international community towards such bodies it seems Mundus isn't wholly convinced either. Naturally I'm prepared to be convinced and will follow this as it develops but this needs a significant amount of work which I hope is going to be undertaken before we get near a summit rather than just hoping it all works out."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:55:33 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2023, 11:57:28 PM »

EMPRESS VISITS ATHLETES AS TERROR SITUATIONS ESCALATE

By James Robson: Home Affairs Correspondent

Empress Serenity visited Team Kalasin today, the team already in the country for the upcoming Mundus Games have become victims of circumstance as the crisis in their homeland escalates, the Empress was joined by her cousin Countess Sakura Sheppard in talking with the Kalasin athletes and it was the Countess who later explained the nature of the meeting - "At this point in time we're doing several different things in relation to the Kalasin situation, we currently have assets in monitoring positions and we're dispatching aid to Daito as well as undertaking in cooperation with our Daito allies an investigation into what exactly happened and who is responsible so that appropriate responses can be made. Today we've met with members of the Kalasin Mundus Games team to talk with them about what happens if this situation remains ongoing after the Games have concluded, if that does become the situation we'll be prepared to process asylum claims from team Kalasin and their supporters."

The Empress meanwhile was asked about the situation in Mersch to which she said - "We are monitoring the situation in Mersch closely, we've increased the terror alert level in Awhaele as a precautionary measure given what we know and can infer so far. We've also increased the alert level at Maelstrom and we'll be liaising with our Morelander allies on this issue."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:56:02 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2023, 11:56:13 PM »

SENATE APPROVES MILITARY ACTION IN KALASIN

In a late night session, held under Article seven of the Constitution,  the Senate has voted unanimously to approve military action against the Separatist Government in Kalasin. Article seven is one of the exceptions under which the Crown, in this case Empress Serenity (pictured above) may address the Senate, in her speech laying out her case the Empress said the following:

"Mr Speaker, Honourable Senators, as you are all aware I come here this evening to lay out a case for military action under article seven of the Constitution before I get into the details of this I would like to first thank the Leader of the Senate Chamber for finding the time to have this matter debated, I would also like to emphasise that while I come here this evening to address the matter in Kalasin that in no way means we aren't concerned by what is occurring in Mersch. I met with Queen Siora earlier today and we discussed what the situation feels like and what action to take and what may potentially need taking, as previously stated our position is one of monitoring that situation and we are liaising with our friends in East Moreland, and I do ask Senators to hold the people of Mersch in their thoughts in the coming days.

Now turning to the reason I'm here this evening, a few days ago a political crisis in Kalasin was begun by the regional government in Pattani that government effectively declared independence from the national Government in Paechon. This isn't anything Mundus hasn't seen before, Senators will recall the end of the Marseilles crisis in 2015 saw Aquitaine claim independence months before it was formally agreed under the ten point plan. The situation in Kalasin was ostensibly no different to that, precautionary measures were taken, diplomatic questions were asked, fact finding was begun. On the 25th of July a missile struck the city of Awara, a missile we can trace the point of origin of to the separatist controlled region of Kalasin. I'll say that again, the missile that struck Awara was launched from the area under the control of the separatist government and that government such as it is must answer for it, for if they have any intention of becoming an independent sovereign state then this is the kind of thing they have to get used to it's called accountability, this happened on their watch is this lack of awareness? Incompetency? No Mr Speaker it is not, given the circumstances, the history and the tone with which the separatists in Pattani have spoken the word that best sums it up is conspiracy. If the Government in Pattani were serious about their national ambitions they would make the diplomatic overtures to the many notable international bodies and engage diplomatically on the matter, their choice not to do so casts doubt on that intention and suggests that they're more interested in settling scores than they are in acting in the best interests of their own people and if their choice was to try and create a position of strength then attacking civilians is not an acceptable means of achieving that, resorting to terrorism automatically loses you the argument.

We're almost exactly seventy eight years on from what history calls the Precipice of Armageddon the nuclear strikes at the end of the Great War one in Daito carried out by the Ardian Empire and then the retaliation carried out by ourselves on their behalf against the Ardian Empire for the one and only time in history there was a distinct possibility of these new destructive weapons leading to a nuclear genocide, yet it didn't happen why? Because there was a level of responsibility, a level of sensibleness, in the face of nuclear brinksmanship, in the face of Pandora's box being opened the Ardian Empire stood down, hope prevailed that day. Two years ago my father stood at this lectern and declared the end of nuclear weapons on Mundus, declaring the closing of Pandora's box, a long time held hope was fulfilled that day. Yesterday someone sought to pick the lock of the box when they carried out a shocking and cowardly attack in Pyrettania, to try and drag Mundus back into an age gone by, to sabotage the achievement made and try to send us back to an age of suspicion, fear and darkness around nuclear weapons? No. A week after my father made that declaration this very Senate ratified a policy document that made it clear that attempts to develop nuclear weapons would be met with appropriate responses, in the case of national governments that means diplomatic approaches first. But we are not facing a national government we are facing a terrorist entity with the trappings of state, and policy dictates that this nation does not negotiate with terrorists, now before the separatist regime takes to social media or issues a statement claiming that they are not terrorists I have a simple question - how else do you describe what we have witnessed? How else do you describe the targeting of innocent civilians, the use of a dirty bomb, launching an attack on a hospital ship? Legitimate warfare? I'm fairly certain the Uppsala Convention has something to say about that, specifically the word no.

Mr Speaker we are a nation that has over the last decade played a significant part in resolving many international crises, we've never walked by on the other side of the road and I don't believe we ever will. I recently stated in relation to East Moreland that Achkaerin would always be there to help if needed, that principle applies to every friend we have and every friend we have yet to meet. We have proven the meaning to those words time and time again, this plea tonight is not just a call to aid injured friends, it's not just a call to play our part in resolving another crisis, it's not just a call to stand by our principles. No it's all those things and more, it's a plea to stand up to the schoolyard bully, to make them answer for the pain, suffering and harm they have wrought on others and the regime in Pattani should be under no illusions they will answer for what has happened over the last few days, we will stare down the nuclear barrel, we will not flinch and we will take that weapon out of their hands. Honourable Senators will have seen circulated the initial course of action we intend to take should this motion pass. This is not simply our treatied duty to Daito and Rokkenjima, this is a plea for action made on behalf of those who cannot ask, those who have sadly lost their lives in the last few days, we owe it to the dead in Awara, in Pyrettania, the dead crew of the RNS Gleidhidh and the dead across Mersch, all lost to acts of terrorism. They will be mourned, they will be remembered and they must have justice, theirs is not a plea for vengeance, it's for those responsible to be held accountable, it's to not let the terrorists win and that is why I ask Senators to vote for this motion tonight."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:56:53 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2023, 02:28:22 PM »

MUNDUS GAMES BEGIN

By Felicity Stewart: Sports Correspondent

After all the build up, all the speculation and all the anticipation the Mundus Games got underway with the opening ceremony last night. All through the day the crowds had flocked to Valtheim and as evening came around they took their places whether in the seats of the Djana Azurewind Stadium or in the many fan zones across the city and in fact the nation, and with three time Ozzie winner Jemma Fox responsible for the opening ceremony there was expectation of something wondrous, they'd come to see a show and they were not to be disappointed - from the word go all the elements of Achkaerinese society were present, the prominence of science fiction, of film, of history, of fantasy, all woven together with the threads of music and musical theatre. There were contributions from Prince Jack Azurewind and Lady Katyusha Andronikashivili, Duchess Renee Azurewind along with notable musical acts and the whole thing held together brilliantly by the Achkaerinese Youth Orchestra. If Fox's intention was to create memorable moments she certainly succeeded, the arrival of Empress Serenity aboard Thunderbird One and the Starship Enterprise flyover will live long in the memory. The athleties parade is of course the centre piece of the occasion and when the Achkaerinese team entered led by Becky Brittaine carrying the Achkaerinese flag it was to a deafening roar. It had been predicted by many in advance that torch lighting responsibilities would be given to Sammy Lawson and they were accurate in such predictions.

Attention now turns to the eighteen days of sport and competition that form the Games and in front of a home crowd there will be plenty of opportunities for the lesser known Achkaerinese competitors to play and compete in what will probably be best described as a partisan atmosphere. The Mundus Games start here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:57:47 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2023, 08:09:40 PM »

LAWSON GETS GOLD MEDAL COUNT TICKING

Sammy Lawson has won Achkaerin's first gold medal of their home games, taking the women's road race title with a margin of nine minutes to the second placed rider from Daito while Zoe Carpenter took the bronze medal. The manner of the victory was explained by Carpenter after the race as "When we compete in the Mundus Cycling Cup and the various tour races it's a lot harder to give the peloton the slip because every rider is hooked up to a radio and there's near constant communication between team and riders so even if the riders don't count off who's gone up the road the teams do. In the Mundus Games the radio's aren't present so it's a lot easier for us to break away and get someone off the front. We upped the pace out in the country and then on the approach to Valtheim I did what I needed to do which was pull Sammy off the front and then we were in time trial mode, I'm happy I managed to hang on for the bronze." Sammy Lawson meanwhile commented saying "We got there, that's got to be the most pressure I've felt in a race in a long time, a home Mundus Games and being the event favourite. We tried to thin out the field and then when me and Zoe looked around we were on our own. It brought back memories of the first time we raced against each other though on that occasion Zoe was shocked to see me on her wheel, this time it was surprise that we'd manage to get a clean break and then we held it until I went solo."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:04:48 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2023, 08:36:36 PM »

EMPRESS MEETS WITH PRESIDENT AND DUCHESS

Empress Serenity has hosted President Emile Sauzee of Marseilles and Duchess Danielle Aveline of Aquitaine, the meeting held during the Mundus Games saw the trio journey around several venues to take in some of the competition, including the judo, the open water swim and the womens football. As might be expected though this wasn't just a sports tour, there were diplomatic matters discussed as well. An agreement reached between the three nations will see members of the Sorority of Materna terrorist group, presently detained in Achkaerin following the Marseilles crisis, extradited to Marseilles and Aquitaine to face trial for their crimes. Speaking about the agreement Empress Serenity said "This is well overdue, we extradited Sebastian Cartier to Marseilles not that long ago after the Marseilles government gave the requested assurances, what we've agreed builds on that by extending that out to include the other members of the Sorority of Materna presently in Achkaerinese custody, we've also broadened out to include Aquitaine in this because when we consider the extradition of someone such as Alys Arsenault we find ourselves considering not only what she's accused of against the people of Marseilles but also what she's accused of against the people of Aquitaine." the Empress was then asked about the situation around Troyes to which she said "In the Marseilles crisis we sent people to die to free a nation from the grasp of a terrorist regime, we fought for the freedom of Marseilles and we're not backing off from that position, Marseilles is a sovereign state it has control over all its land and only it can choose to give any part of that land away, it never made that choice because it was never asked to make that choice and that critically is the absence of consent."

AADC WORKING ON SUPPORT DRONE

AADC has announced it's developing a support drone named the Vingilot, the drone is intended to compliment the military's support capability from the perspective of aerial refueling thus making the Vingilot, should it enter service, the latest addition to the Air Force's tanker fleet, designed to launch and recover to a carrier the Vingilot would be able to support air force operations. Sir Darren Eagle, the CEO of AADC, commented at a press conference saying "We're optimistic based on developments so far, this is to some extent like many drones we've developed over the years but the Vingilot provides the additional challenge of being the tanker in an aerial refuelling scenario, in essence this works similar to the recovery system we devised for the Patronus drone however applied to refueling. Today we tried it out with three different aircraft models, we have plenty of work and testing to do before we offer it but at moment we're happy with the direction of travel."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:08:06 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2023, 11:07:22 PM »

STEWART ON CLYSPERI SENTENCES

By: Olivia Moore: International News Correspondent

Following the arrest, trial and sentencing of four foreign nationals in Clysperis on drug offences questions have been asked in the Senate about the matter, Minister for Home Affairs Lizbeth Stewart appearing on ABC Breakfast was asked about the situation to which she said: "It's always concerning when you only get the headlines and none of the detail, even more so when it concerns something like this. The law of the land is the law of the land that is a key principle of sovereignty, however there are other concerns not due to comments made in Daito but those actually contained within the Clysperi news item, these concerns raise questions as to what has transpired and whether or not it is appropriate, as a result we strongly suggest that the Clysperi authorities stay the execution until such concerns are satisfied. Let's have the sense to check everything before something rather permanent is done."

TEAM ACHKAERIN CLIMB THE MEDAL TABLE

Eleven days of the Mundus Games have been contested and there has been plenty of drama across the various events, earlier in the Games Abertone took twenty one medals in a single day (a new Games record) but today saw something not seen previously - a three way tie for gold in a race type event. Joint gold medals are nothing new to the Games, they usually happen in the jumping or throwing events and occasionally in the combat sports when competitors cannot be separated. Today in the womens individual cross country Achkaerin's Lily Carter (pictured above) crossed the finished line neck and neck with fellow athletes from Clysperis and the Theocracy of Kaitaine, so close were they that the technology could not separate them so a joint gold was awarded. Ms Carter spoke afterwards saying "It's incredible to have a result like this, I just tried to stick with them, I kicked on the last hill, kicked in the home straight they were still there and then at the line, I'm sure there's a difference but you'd have to go down to ridiculous levels of time analysis to separate us at which point you're not really in the spirit of the sport."

Elsewhere at the Games Achkaerin swept the medals in the womens road time trial with Sammy Lawson taking her second gold of the Games and forty eighth overall, silver was taken by Zoe Carpenter with Aveline Lei taking the bronze.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:01:38 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2023, 08:20:34 PM »

SCRIVENS MEDICAL BEGIN SMART GLASSES TRIAL

Scrivens Medical have begun a trial of what they term "smart glasses" the headline is that these glasses will allow deaf people to 'see' conversations in real time. The glasses use augmented reality to convert audio into captions that appear in front of the wearers eyes. The glasses are tethered to a smart phone, a similar technology use is already seen in the company's development of an artificial pancreas, essentially using an app alongside the device's audio receptors and bluetooth to accomplish the feat of turning sound to word. The initial trial is expected to last until the end of May 2024, during which time the company will continue to refine the app software before rolling it out more widely. One of the participants in the trial is Princess Astrid (pictured above wearing her new glasses) who got quite emotional during her first experience of the technology, the Princess lost her hearing almost three years ago due to side effects from Meningitis. Scrivens Medical is planning to trial the technology with around 80,000 people. It caps off a pretty good week for Scrivens Medical as the Achkaerin Medical and Pharmaceutical Executive (AMPE) has licensed the artificial pancreas developed by Scrivens Medical for use in general.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:02:18 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2023, 10:05:27 PM »

INVESTIGATORS ARRIVE IN CLYSPERIS

A team of investigators has arrived in Clysperis at the invitation of the Clysperi Government to examine the cases against four foreign tourists who have been sentenced to death for allegedly taking drugs into Clysperis. The team led by Detective Amber Duff comprises, police officers, forensic scientists and legal practitioners, upon their arrival the Detective gave a statement saying: "This isn't a rubber stamp, if everything is above board then we will of course report that as such. However our duty is to the truth whatever it may be, we will be examining every piece of evidence, interviewing each of the people concerned, reviewing the court documents and so on, our responsibility is to determine the safety of the convictions and to make a report on that, if they be safe then the report will show that, if they be unsafe then we will include not only the findings as to why but recommendations thereof. We're know we're on the clock so to speak but we believe we can get this done before the fifth of October."

LAWSON MAKES IT FIFTY MEDALS

Sammy Lawson has won the fiftieth Mundus Games medal of her career. The cyclist who sits atop the list of most decorated athletes in the Games history started the day on forty eight medals, she won her forty ninth medal in the scratch race with a well timed final sprint to take the gold. Her fiftieth came in her victory in the elimination race, her favourite event of the velodrome program, the race sees a number of sprints with the final rider across the line each time being eliminated from the race, Sammy kept herself towards the front of the field for the whole race and took the victory out sprinting her team mate Niamh Fernley who took the silver. Speaking afterwards Sammy said "If you'd told me ten years ago when I won my first title out in Kazarovia that one day I'd win my fiftieth Mundus Games medal in front of a home crowd, I wouldn't have believed it and now its happened I still can't believe it, it's going to take a few days for what just happened to sink in but when it has, they'll be plenty of smiling before we get back on the road in a few weeks."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:09:34 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 20, 2023, 06:43:24 PM »

GENERAL STARLING TO SUCCEED PORTMAN AT ASF

When General Neil Portman announced his intention to retire as head of the Achkaerin Special Forces a few months ago, the hunt for his successor was expected to be a difficult one especially considering Portman's experience in the role and throughout his career, having been involved in many crises throughout recent years, whomever was to replace him would undoubtedly have big shoes to fill. That unenviable task has been handed to General Lassie Starling, someone who has served in the ASF for most of her career, she will become the first woman to hold the position. Speaking following the formal announcement General Starling stated "I'm honoured and humbled to be appointed to this position and I'll do my very best to make sure that our special forces retain their reputation as being right up there as one of the best in the world." General Portman is reportedly to take over as commandant at Army Training College Ivyfield.

In other defence news the Ministry of Defence has provided an update on current projects announcing that the Thunderchild project is progressing to the initial trial stage, that the Quillbolt project is in the design phase and that the Marill project is to enter production in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:05:11 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2023, 07:32:27 PM »

PETER AZUREWIND LEAVES HOSPITAL, NATION CELEBRATES

Over nine months since the episode that saw him admitted to the Royal Valtheim Hospital, where he has since been in a coma, the Emperor Emeritus and Duke of Rosemoor Peter Azurewind has left hospital. The Duke's condition had according to Royal Physician Doctor Maddy Dale "Been improving slowly but steadily for roughly the last six weeks, it's very tricky to say what brings people out of coma's like this because there's so much we don't know but it is known that during the Mundus Games while the Empress was conducting diplomatic talks with various nations that the Duke was visited by dignitaries including King David, I know someone's going to say this is the power of friendship and I can't rebuff that medically speaking because it's possible that external stimuli is a factor in how the Duke regained consciousness. He will continue his recovery at the Marble Palace."

The Duke and his wife released an official statement thanking the medical team at the Royal Valtheim Hospital for their care as well as everyone for their thoughts.

ACHKAERIN SPACE AGENCY CHASE COMET

The Achkaerin Space Agency is celebrating tonight following the successful landing of a probe on comet NS-2013. The mission which forms part of the Agency's Star Map project will see the comet explored by robots, with samples being taken and readings transmitted back to Mundus for analysis. The Agency hopes to retrieve the samples the next time the comet passes by Mundus.  Director of Flight Operations Nicola Fernley commented saying "This is the type of mission we get really excited about because we're exploring another celestial object, and every one of those presents its own challenges. We've achieved something special today and we look forward to seeing the data it yields."

LAWSON TAKES MAIDEN STAGE WIN

Sammy Lawson (pictured above in foreground wearing white) has taken victory on stage four of the Tour of Khelvakheli, the victory her first tour stage win is another addition to her already impressive sporting CV. The win takes her into second position in the overall standings six seconds behind Érika Corythia of Naukles. Speaking afterwards Sammy said "Today everything worked well, we were able to take advantage of the hills to fracture the peloton and whittle it down gradually and when we had it down to seven and we still had me, Chihaya and Niamh there and no one else had team support we really fancied the job, Niamh did great pushing the pace, making them chase and then we lined up the sprint train and got it done."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:12:08 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2023, 12:18:27 AM »

NEARLY SEVEN MINUTES DOWN, ONE STAGE LEFT CAN SAMMY PULL OFF A MIRACLE?

With one stage of the Tour of Khelvakheli left Sammy Lawson sits in second place in the General Classification, almost seven minutes behind Higanbana's Tsuneko Hijikata, the tour has provided many a surprise but would Sammy Lawson pulling back the gap and winning be another one? To some extent yes it would seven minutes across a single stage is a lot in road racing but there is cause for optimism Hijikata is a sprinter and the final stage is a long mountainous one, by comparison Sammy is far better at altitude, she's won many a race on climbs and descents in the past, she's also won plenty from breakaways including this years Mundus Games which she won by a margin of fifteen minutes if she replicates that result she will be the champion. There is also the fact that the onus to cover things, to try to control matters falls solely on Higanbana meanwhile Phoenix Cycling, Naukles and Eyrie Racing among others all have a vested interest in trying to drop Hijikata out of the back of the Peloton tomorrow to try and bring their rider victory. What would normally be a stage with many contenders for victory is in fact a fitting stage set for the few left in contention. If Higanbana can nurse Hijikata through the mountains in touch with the peloton then she will likely be the winner but if Phoenix Cycling can produce a performance and break the peloton one more time then maybe just maybe Sammy may win it all.

The determining factor may well lie in Sammy's team mates after losing both Maria Cairns and Chihaya Lei earlier in the tour, Sammy's hopes for getting her into position will ride with Zoe Carpenter, Melanie Parker and Niamh Fernley. Speaking earlier tonight Niamh said "It's going to be an interesting one, and we're going to give everything we've got left to give Sammy the best possible chance of winning this thing, it's fairly straightforward we know what we've got to do, and we're going to give it our best shot, these are the situations we train for and we back ourselves, it won't be easy but there's no stage eleven, this is the day we leave everything the course." as for Zoe Carpenter she said "We've seen Sammy do the seemingly unbelievable many times, she's been a marked rider on so many occasions now but this, if she can do it, would top everything I've seen her do."

And what of Sammy herself when asked about her chances she said "It's nearly seven minutes, yes on paper I should finish stage ten ahead of Tsuneko on the day but the overall is a different matter. It's not going to be a day for second guessing, it's a day for seizing the opportunity and that's what we intend to do, I believe Zoe, Melanie and Niamh can get me into position and I believe if we can get the race plan executed then we have a very good chance of winning the general classification when all is said and done."

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:13:10 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »

EMPRESS BUYS LEITH A.F.C

If you take a short six mile trip north of Valtheim you come to the village come suburb of Leith, it's a place known for many things such as its pottery, its abbey that played host to the Medieval Mixed Martial Arts at this years Mundus Games and it's also where you'll find the home of Leith A.F.C, a founding member of the Achkaerinese Football League, the club has in recent seasons become more known for its off the pitch struggles leading to fears that it would have to disband after the current season if it continued to not be able to meet its financial obligations. The club unveiled its kits for the new season today and also announced that the club had been bought by Empress Serenity, a lifelong fan of the club, when asked about the decision to buy the club the Empress said "It wasn't a difficult decision, I've been a Leith A.F.C fan since I could understand the game, I've held a season ticket for years and I rarely miss a game, with the club in trouble I asked a few questions and decided to buy it. I don't expect instant success, a cup run or a meteoric rise up the leagues, it'd be awesome if those things happened but an eighth tier semi pro non league side getting there is likely to take some time. I know someone's going to ask whether I've spoken to King David or Alan Maybury yet and the answer is no not yet."

Leith A.F.C Men's team start their Achkaerin Western League season against Wayfarers while the womens team will open their fifth tier campaign in the Conference League against Angel's Rise.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:14:01 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2023, 11:07:14 PM »

WORLD CUP PREVIEW

The World Cup is back and this time it's four titles that will be contested, not only will the mens and womens competitions take place but there's also going the introduction of blind football this time around. The Achkaerinese mens team the Foxes (pictured above training) stand atop the world rankings and are the only nation to have won the tournament multiple times, having lifted the trophy on three occasions. Are their odds of a fourth crown good? Yes, they will go in as one of the pre tournament favourites but this appears to be one of the most open tournaments in years as explained by the team's manager Dame Julia McCabe who said after the teams latest training session at their base camp in Rallate "There's going to be a lot of attention on us and Nya Aland we are the top two teams here on ranking by a significant margin, but Lodja have come on leaps and bounds, we're playing in a football crazy nation with a crowd that's going to create a huge atmosphere whenever Abertone play. Every year the gap between teams gets smaller, players develop. We really want that fourth crown but our group is stacked we've got Tytor who are one of the few teams present who've beaten us, Rokkenjima are improving every year, Ui Cenneslaig are a tough team and then there are two unknown packages. We should get out of the group but we'll be taking it one game at a time. The tournament structure has this wide open feel about it because there are so many teams that will fancy their chances of progressing, this could be the most competitive and entertaining tournament we've ever seen."

As for the Vixens, history beckons as they chase a three peat, they go into the tournament at full strength according to their head coach Clarissa Quinn who has named a squad including several debutants at this level, two have caught the imagination - midfielder Priscilla otherwise known as Prissy Salem and winger Sandy Lane who play for Valtheim United and Avalon FC respectively make their tournament bows. The Vixens will open their title defence against East Moreland, a game which they will be expected to win but like their male counterparts nothing is being taken for granted. The potential road for the Vixens to what could be their third title includes potentially having to play the Theocracy of Kaitaine and Lodja both of whom are the main rivals to the Vixens but much like the mens tournament the womens tournament has a lot of unknowns as many nations have entered for the first time, there are many games that many fans of the sport across Mundus will want to watch. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:15:59 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2023, 06:40:08 PM »

ACHKAERIN MARKS MEMORIAL DAY

Once again Achkaerin has marked Memorial Day, the day on which the nation remembers the fallen in the Great War and conflicts since. The day is a busy one for the Royal Family and Government Officials as they participate in several events, for the Royal Family this sees the Empress involved in a ceremony at the Tomb of the Brave in the afternoon, Prince Simon has marked the day aboard the INS Seonaid Ayanami as he is currently on active duty with the air force. The Senate marked the day with a special ceremonial session of business where they pay their tributes to those who serve. The day culminated with the Memorial Day festival remembrance at the Royal Theatre with the now traditional ceremony (pictured above) in which members of the Armed Forces, families of the fallen, singers and musicians and other performers mark the day. It was the first Memorial Day for Empress Serenity since taking the crown and much like her father has over many years she wore her naval uniform to the evenings event.

EMPRESS COMMENTS ON NYA ALAND

By Niamh Roberts: Royal Family Correspondent

In a weekly radio interview Empress Serenity (pictured above) has commented on the current situation in Nya Aland, when asked what she thought about what was going on she said "I think there's a need to recognise that this is nothing to make a mountain out of a molehill of yet. What's happening is legal recourse to the courts over an election result, that's a right that every person seeking office in a democracy has. Ulfsson is entitled to ask the Constitutional question if he wishes to do so because he has the right of recourse to the courts, that is a legitimate process it certainly isn't holding democracy hostage we're not there yet. I am watching the situation with as much legal intrigue as I am with intrigue as head of state. I do however hope that this state of limbo so to speak is resolved quickly because what I'm certain no one wants is for opportunists to take advantage of the situation."

The Empress was also asked about comments made by Grand Maester Yuna to which she said "I'm not going to be drawn into a spat on that but I think the Grand Maester should perhaps consider what the records say and what her own words have said, she should also consider future hypotheticals. I'm fairly certain that the High Priestess up here would have a thing or two to say about a Namist potentially ending up as the Blessed of Islnya as in it wouldn't happen, but that said the Grand Maester should know better."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:18:14 PM by Achkaerin »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2023, 10:48:05 PM »

GOVERNMENT MAKES STATEMENT ON NYA ALAND

Following the continuing uncertainty of the situation in Nya Aland the Minister of Foreign Affairs David Chambers (pictured above) has delivered an update on the Achkaerinese Governments position in respect of the issue, the statement came in response to an urgent question raised by the opposition, a routine mechanism of effecting Government statements, in response Minister Chambers said:

"I thank the Honourable Senator for asking this question and for giving the Government the opportunity to provide this update. As Member's of the chamber will be aware the Government's original position was to wait and see what happened in respect of the legal avenue in the hope that the Court would resolve the matter as is its remit. This did not happen and the situation has since escalated there is now no clear elected government, there is what we would call an emergency government and now we see the Gungnir rearing its head once again. The Government's position remains that the Gungnir are a terrorist organisation, we continue to advise citizens traveling to Nya Aland to take care not to get caught up in this. We also urge both the Ulfsson and Robertsson camps to come to an agreement of a path forward before we see further violence on the streets. This is a year where terror has been visited upon multiple nations - Mersch, Daito, Rokkenjima and Abertone are the most prominent victims of such and now it is visited once again on Nya Aland. We have full confidence in the Alander authorities to handle the current situation and if they require any assistance we are willing to provide it."

ACHKAERINESE DUO ENTER CONTEST

The competition to be the wife of Emperor Orion of Neu Uburzis has attracted plenty of attention both within that nation and across the world with a high profile list of entrants already declared from sports stars, nobles, a Rokkenjiman Princess and many others. From Achkaerin two entrants have been confirmed as Catrin Waterstone, the daughter of the Baron Sebastian Waterstone, and perhaps more well known Poppy Locklyn (pictured above) a noted pianist, singer and chess champion, a regular on the concert scene in Achkaerin. She's caught the eye of some following the competition for being a bisexual with some speculating that this could give her some sort of an edge a point she dismissed when asked about it saying: "I can see why people may think that but I'm not looking at it that way, does being part of the LGBT community mean I have some sort of edge in the competition? Ultimately this is a competition where the jury so to speak is near enough the entire population of a nation so I don't think it does, I think what helps me is that I'm aware of what I'm actually competing for. Maybe I end up winning this thing, maybe I don't, I'll just have to see what happens."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:19:28 PM by Achkaerin »