Author Topic: The International Refugee Support Agency (IRSA)  (Read 4618 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The International Refugee Support Agency (IRSA)
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
Much in the same manner as the Joint Emergency Team was established as a means to allow for an international co-ordinated aid effort in times of humanitarian crisis it is now intended to establish the same for supporting refugees. The Joint Emergency Team took the manner of humanitarian aid out of the hands of organisations like the CTO and made it an independently run, but internationally supported agency. JET have since seen action in every major crisis across Mundus and saved countless lives. What I am today proposing is that we do likewise with Refugees. The CTO Refugee Council has been the only part of that organisation that has consistently and successfully worked and as such the failing of the CTO should not be permitted to see its good work fall into the dust.

I am therefore proposing an international agreement between nations willing to do their bit in times of crisis and thus keep the spirit of the refugee agency alive.

Quote from: Voluntary Charter

The International Refugee Support Agency (IRSA) shall be a multi-national non governmental organisation ran by a Board of Representatives.

DEFINITIONS

For the purpose of this document a refugee shall be defined as any who; owing to well founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality,
membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.

In the case of a person who has more than one nationality, the term “the country of his nationality” shall mean each of the countries of which he is a national, and a person shall not be deemed to be lacking the protection of the country of his nationality if, without any valid reason based on well-founded fear, he has not availed himself of the protection of one of the countries of which he is a national.

AIMS

1. To provide a framework to allow refugees to receive timely and organised aid
2. To put in place provision for the safe movement of refugees
3. To maintain a database of refugees
4. To aid refugees in returning, whenever possible, to the county of his nationality.
5. To liase with nations affected by refugees
6. To liase with nations and agencies involved with aiding refugees
7. To act as a guardian for the rights of refugees

ARTICLES

1. Any nation who is willing to abide by this charter may appoint a person to the Board of Representatives so long as they have not held a role within a nations government or military within the last five years.

2. The Board of Representatives shall appoint from within their number a Chairperson who shall ensure this charter is followed.

3. The Chairperson shall remain in power for three years unless a majority vote of no confidence is called or they resign. A candidate may stand for re-election as often as they wish.

4. The Chairperson shall be required to be the IRSA representatives with other nations.

5. The Chairperson shall be responsible for liaising with other agencies of connected importance.

6. The Chairperson shall also be required to undertake the following duties.

i) Make an annual report to the Board of Representatives as well as any additional requested reports
ii)Present proposals to the Board for debate.
iii)Chair Board meetings
iv)Ensure accurate records of meetings are kept
v) Ensure accurate minutes of meetings with foreign governments or agencies are provided.
vi)Liaise with other agencies to fulfil the organisations aims.
vii) Promote Refugee Rights in all nations

8. The Board of Representatives shall be required to undertake the following duties.

i) Hold the Chair to account. The Board may replace the Chair should the majority of representatives pass a vote of no confidence.
ii)Work to promote Refugee Rights within their home nation.
iii)Liaise with agencies within their home nations
iv) Make an annual report to the chair about the state of refugees within their nation.
v) Present proposals to the Board for debate
vi) Provide support to the Chair if requested.

9. The IRSA shall issue official passports which nations may elect to recognise.

10. A Refugee shall have the following responsibilities.

a) To comply with the laws of the nation in which they are residing
b) To register as a refugee as soon as they are no longer in danger
c) To inform the government of the nation they reside in of any change in circumstances

11. A refugee shall have the following rights

a) To be treated no less favourably than a foreign citizen residing in the host nation.
b) To be permitted to obtain material possessions
c) To be permitted to gain lawful employment in accordance with the host nations laws.
d) To have full access to courts of law
e) To have the right to communicate with The IRSA

12. The IRSA shall recruit its own staff who may not hold any position within the government or military of their home nation.

13. The IRSA shall be funded by a combination of donations by member nations and private donors. All donations of more than $20,000 will be published.

14. The IRSA may operate it is own fleet of aircraft and naval vessels. This shall be registered in the Odinist Republic of Hygelac, however should circumstances dictate they may be registered in any Full Member nation deemed fit by the Chairperson.

15. A refugee is advised to wait until the circumstances that made them a refugee have ceased to exist before returning home. They may return home in advance of such a moment but if they choose to do so then they do so at their own risk.

In addition to this the IRSA shall be establishing the Refugee Edcuation Department (RED)

A nation or institution may sign up to RED which shall work as follows

1. Institutes across Mundus would sign up to the programme. They would provide online resources that could be accessed by students regardless of where they are on the planet.

2. National governments will provide resources to allow these resources to be accessed by those in camps. In Nya Aland this was a tented facility with satellite internet.

3. Institutes will set assignments for students on their courses and grade them.

4. A student will be awarded a number of credits based on their performance. Once they have accrued enough credits they will earn their degree. Alternatively they will be able to take these credits with them should they enter a physical University.

It is my hope those nations who were already supporters of the Refugee University programme[1] will now move that support to RED.

Should any nation or individual wish to speak with me on these issues I would be happy to speak with any interested person in at the University of Freestone, alternatively I look forward to nations recognising this worthwhile endeavour.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Mundus Know Peace

Melissa Lusk

East Moreland's King sent word almost straight away that they would be joining IRSA as well as giving their support to RED. It reassured Melissa that perhaps others would to. She found herself at a familiar table in the Student Union offices at the University of Freestone, her own hometown University. She sat nervously waiting either e-mails of people accepting the invitation to join or ambassadors or the like coming to speak. Her fingers were crossed as she wished for the best.

OOC - Members of the old Mundus Refugee Council which was part of the CTO were

East Moreland
Achkaerin (although left the CTO)
Rokkenjima
Nya Aland (never a member of the CTO)
Vaguzia
Quebec
Vinitsìa

1. nations who signed up to this were East Moreland, Rokkenjima, Achakerin,
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 09:51:16 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
Re: The International Refugee Support Agency (IRSA)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »

To:- Melissa Lusk

On behalf of the Krimeonite People, I can gladly inform that the Krimeonite Parliament has passed a motion to abide by the articles of the IRSA Charter as well as affirming its commitment to RED, which was then signed by His Serene Highness, Prince Rodrigo Gough.

In regards to the sender of this message, I am Dr. Reuben Hopkins and have been personally appointed to the Board of Representatives and hopefully to the best of my abilities contribute greatly to the betterment of the status of refugees, relying on my passed education which included statistics, medicine and public health; I even published a thesis back in the early 80s, investigating an outbreak of konzo, a paralytic disease first described in Zimalia, which earned me my Ph.D. Aside from that, I regularly hold video lectures on global health in general.

If Ms. Lusk wishes to inquire more about myself as a person and/or to delve deeply into the subject regarding refugees, I would be more than happily obliged to have a coffee or two in the University of Freestone, whenever it suites her. Until then it is expected that I'll begin assuming my role within the near future.

Take Care and May The Gods Watch Over You,

Dr. Reuben Hopkins
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:26:19 AM by The Young Pope »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:11:41 AM »

Regarding IRSA And RED

Ms. Lusk,

It is my unfortunate duty to inform you that the First Empire will not be participating in either the IRSA or RED at this time. Rokkenjiman efforts will remain centred upon the CTO Refugee Council as well as utilizing the Commonwealth to forge lasting solutions to the problems which face Mundus, regardless of the premature proclamation of death you put forth.

Duplicity of efforts has, in the past, left affairs in a worse state than they were before. One need only look to the CTO/CMA divide and the lasting issues that has created for the international system, to see why such endeavours are not the best idea to pursue. Rokkenjima shall not likewise support a duplication of efforts which may divide resources and attentions and further complicate international responses to crises.

Good day;

Jason Cole
Imperial Liaison For Diplomatic Affairs
Imperial Diplomatic Corps

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »
Official Letter from the Government of the Kingdom of Vaguzia

To Ms. Lusk

We are very happy to inform you that King Leonard Delacroix II of the Kingdom of Vaguzia has used his veto to sign this agreement, we as Vaguzians have always believed that it is important to help people that arent as blessed with peace like us, which is why we also think the protection of refugees is very important which is why we are very happy to sign this agreement. In history we have seen that refugees have been treated inhumane and sometimes like beasts, this needs to stop and we think that this agreement is a very important first step to that.

Signed

King Leonard Delacroix II of the Kingdom of Vaguzia

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

Ms. Lusk,

Firstly may I congratulate you for your time in office as Chair of the Mundus Refugee Council, your dedication to duty, drive to get the job done and leadership qualities were plain for all to see at all times whether it was Marseilles, Royal Seleucid, Uppsala or any of the other incidents that have occurred, though there has always rightly been criticism of the CTO's lack of willingness to be involved in various incidents, that can never be extended to the Refugee Council because it stands as the most effective part of the CTO.

In regards to the IRSA and RED Achkaerin reaffirms it's commitment to the RED and will join the IRSA. The plight of those displaced by conflict or other significant events beyond their control is something everyone should do all they can to address. I've also been asked to on behalf of Mr Timothy Willows to enquire as to a possible meeting between yourself and him to discuss areas where your respective areas of expertise overlap.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
To Ms Lusk,

while I would love to sign the IRSA immediately, the implications of participation make it necessary that a potential signature runs through all levels of senate and is throughoutly discussed by all citizens before a decision can be made.

I personally ensure that the topic gets high priority. But this is not a topic to rule over our citizens head and adjust later. I hope you understand my caution.

Sincerely,

Prince Albrecht of Uburzis, Regent to Emperor Orion the First

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
The Six Dukedoms of Bakkermaya hereby recognize the IRSA as our agency of preference in regards to matters relating to refugees.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »
To:- Members of this Organisation

I am requesting permission from our members to utilise some of the stores of equipment and rations kept by the IRSA to support the homelessness crisis in the city of Foshir which is located in the Orphela Imperium. Recent media reports indicate that budget cuts have lead to a 200% increase in homelessness in the city, largely among the younger population. The city is also seemingly facing issues around LGBT persecution and it appears to be the case that young members of the LGBT community left on the streets are being physically assaulted and in some cases killed. I would therefore request that we take action in the shape of providing charitable organisations with some of our shelter equipment as well as providing ration packs to these charities allowing them to continue offering food to those in need.

While I realise that this organisation exists primarily to support those fleeing their homeland I believe if we can help those without a home and facing increasing hardship we may be able to stop a crisis before it begins.

I hope I may count on the support of the IRSA for this off statement mission.

May The Gods Be With You and The Needy Know Love.

Melissa Lusk

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 07:30:53 PM »

To:- Melissa Lusk

It saddens and angers me at the same time that we're still living in an era, where you could get pursecuted for simply loving someone else of the opposite sex and gender, as to which it shouldn't happen to begin with. Extreme poverty which brings nothing but endless suffering should be combatted at all costs as well. The Bottová Cabinet will thus through IRSA provide charitable organisations with shelter equipment as well as providing ration packs to these charities allowing them to continue offering food to those in need. It's in the best interests for everyone that all those member nations who've signed this agreement should also now contribute their fair share.

God Bless and May the Truth Prevail

Andrea Bottová
Prime Minister of the Empire of Krimeon

Offline Hassfurt

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Hassfurt
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 10:53:02 PM »
Please consider the Diarchy as a member.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
Full Name of Country/Region: The Republic of Quebec
Representative Signing: His Excellency, President Maximilien Boucheron
Continent: Cotf Aranye
First Language: French
Second Language:
Additional Languages:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:41:13 AM by The Young Pope »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 09:51:31 PM »
Updated to here