Author Topic: Grand Duchy of Nordmar  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Jalmari II

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Grand Duchy of Nordmar
Grand Duchy of Nordmar
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »

Motto:- We are the ice that never melts
National Anthem:- Our Land (nord. Maamme)

BACKGROUND

Nomadic northern tribes of Cotf Aranye, originating from the coast of Rodinian Sea, migrated south-west, to the coast Krimeon Sea, eventually settling down east of Peniche Bay. Tribes became more organized, eventually uniting themselves under the rule of the legendary first chief of Nordmarian people, Miika. In one point of its history, the tribal country of Nordmarians became subjugated by ... Empire. Because of being loyal to the Emperor, and not causing trouble, Nordmar was granted a fair share of autonomy within the Empire. The period from the subjugation to around 1000AD was calm, without major events in Nordmar. But when the Empire went into pieces, Nordmar proclaimed its independence. Weakened by having to become self-sustainable, Nordmar tried to stay as neutral as possible, building its agricultural and economical potential from nothing throughout the Middle Ages. Reaching the Age of Reason, the democratic and liberal thoughts became quite loud in Nordmarian politics. After series of demonstrations in major cities of Nordmar, the most violent one occuring in Loihava itself (Uprising of March 1863), Grand Duke Antti IV agreed to form the first parliament, which first task was to write a constitution. After 6 months of hard work, the Nordmarian Parliament (nord. Nordmaralainen Eduskunta) ratified the Constitution of the Grand Duchy of Nordmar. It transformed the country into a constitutional monarchy with a bicameral parliament. Nordmar is one of the few countries, in which the constitution is the same from the beginning, and it stayed in the same shape to this day.

Government Type:- Constitutional Monarchy
Population:-:- 64 000 000 inhabitants
Capital City:- Loihava (5 830 000  inhabitants)
Demonym:- Nordmarian (singular), Nordmarians (plural)

ECONOMY

Currency:- Nordmarian Mark (N) (1 Mark = 100 Penni) (1N ~ 3.50$)
GDP per Capita:- 49 515 $ (173 302.5N)
Unemployment Rate:- 7,4% (~4 700 000 people)
Main Industries:- Forestry, Paper Industry, Chemical Industry, Metallurgy, Automotive Industry (Focused on heavy vehicles)

PEOPLE

Ethnicity:- Nordmarians are descendants of nomadic tribes, originating from the coast of Rodinian Sea. Through the years, the tribes ventured south-west, eventually settling down at the coast of Krimeon Sea.
Languages:- Nord - A language created by mixing dialects of tribes that make the Nordmarian people
Religions:- Nordmarians follow the faith of their ancestors, which don't have a formal name. It's a polytheistic religion, in which nature plays a significant role.
Average Life Expectancy:- Males - 78, Females - 84

GOVERNMENT

Head of State:- Grand Duke (nord. Suuriruhtinas) - Hereditary title for the Head of State. Playing mostly a representative role, Grand Duke has some influence on the national politics
Head of Government:- Prime Minister (nord. Pääministeri) - Elective head of Nordmarian government - the National Convention (nord. Kansallinen Yleissopimus)
Name of Legislative Body:- Nordmarian Parliament, known as the Congress of Delegates (nord. Edustajinen Kongressi)) consists of 320 delegates (nord. edustajia)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:27:35 PM by Jalmari II »
"I'm a man of faith. I'm only afraid of God and, sometimes, my wife."

Offline Jalmari II

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duchy of Nordmar
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
GOVERNMENT (PART I)

NAMES
Full Name: Grand Duchy of Nordmar (nord. Nordmaralainen Suuriruhtinaskunta)
Diminutive: Nordmar

MONARCHY

The Grand Duchy of Nordmar is a constitutional monarchy.
Grand Duke (nord. Suuriruhtinas) serves as a hereditary Head of State.
Prerogatives:
The power to dismiss and appoint a prime minister
The power to dismiss and appoint other ministers
The power to summon, prorogue or dissolve Parliament
The power to grant or refuse Royal Assent to bills (making them valid and law)
The power to commission officers in the Armed Forces
The power to command the Armed Forces of the Grand Duchy of Nordmar
The power to issue and withdraw passports
The power to grant prerogative of mercy
The power to ratify and make treaties
The power to declare war and peace
The power to deploy the Armed Forces overseas
The power to recognize states
The power to credit and receive diplomats

Current Grand Duke:

Suuriruhtinas Jalmari II of House Karjalainen
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:13:40 PM by Jalmari II »

Offline Jalmari II

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
GOVERNMENT (PART II)

HEAD OF GOVERNMENT AND CABINET

In Nordmar, Head of Government is called the Prime Minister (nord. Pääministeri), and he chairs the National Convention (nord. Kansallinen Yleissopimus) which consists of ministers (nord. singular: ministeri, plural: ministerit)

I. Appointment
1. Grand Duke nominates a candidate for a Pääministeri. He can appoint anyone, and the candidate may refuse.
2. Then the Congress of Delegates (nord. Edustajinen Kongressi) votes on the candidate. For the candidate to be elected, his candidacy has to recieve more than half of the total amount of Delegates (at least 161).
3. If the candidate nominated by Grand Duke won't pass, Congress has 14 days to vote again. They may vote on the same candidate, or nominate their own. Once again, the candidate has to achieve at least 161 votes.
4. If the second vote will fail, Congress IMMEDIATELY votes again. The candidate who gets the biggest amount of votes, wins. If he gets the majority, the Grand Dukehast to swear him immediately. If he won't get the majority, the Grand Duke can swear him in as the Prime Minister of minority, or refuse to swear him and dissolve the Congress, calling for early election.
5. However the Prime Minister was chosen, they're forming their National Convention and presents it to the Grand Duke for approval. Grand Duke has the right to veto the cabinet, but Congress can override it with the majority of 2/3 of delegates.

II. Revocation
The Congress of Delegates may vote on the constructive vote of no confidence for the Convention. The condition for the vote to pass is to appoint a new Prime Minister with of at least 161 votes IN THE SAME VOTING.
The National Convention is also revoced when the Prime Minister dies. Until the new PM is appointed, an acting PM is Vice-Prime Minister (nord. Varapääministeri), who is one of the ministers, appointed by
PM.
The National Convention is also dissaloved when its term finishes, which is after 4 years.

III. Prerogatives
-Appointing the ministers.
-Applying to Grand Duke for a minister to be dismissed.
-Setting the direction for national politics.
-Representing the government in country and abroad.
-Issuing decrees.
-Oversees the regional authorities.

Current Pääministeri

Anita Peltosaari
Monarkistinen Likke
(Monarchist Movement)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:22:07 PM by Jalmari II »

Offline Jalmari II

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
PARLIAMENT

The Congress of Delegates (nord. Edustajien Kongressi)

Speaker of the Congress (nord. Edustajinenkongressipuhemies)

Jaakko Aravirta
Nordmaralainen Kansallispuolue
(Nordmarian National Party)