Author Topic: The Dragon's Throne  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
The Dragon's Throne
« on: August 17, 2020, 05:46:41 AM »
The Great Citadel of Ikan, built originally in the days of Arkan I, has long been the primary residence of the rulers of Ikhan. Though it has seen extensive modification and rebuilding (especially after an earthquake in the 18th century), it remains among the most recognizable landmarks within the city. The district around it has, since years long passed, also served as a residence for the Khatai (Dukes) and Khovai (Counts) of the Arashin nobility. Though their power was largely broken, they continue to hold sway over Ikhani politics, with many now serving within the Imperial Senate. These are their stories, and those of the many other residents of the district, as well as the Imperial Family who nominally rule the Empire.

The Tale of the Crown Prince
8/16/20

A gentle breeze swept through the district, calm and cool for a late-summer afternoon. Within the ancient halls of the Imperial Palace, of course, it was rather busy. There were many changes coming up, for by the end of the month, a new Emperor would rule. Yet for now, Arkan was "just" the Crown Prince. Sure, he had served as his father's regent due to his own incapability to serve in such a fashion after the attempt on his life a few months prior, but... it wasn't the same. Nothing would, for the day was coming soon. Already, the grand hall was prepared for the day and the palace grounds were nearly prepared as well... The world seemed to go by faster than he could've expected... After all, he was but an infant when his father came to the throne, so he couldn't remember the same being done, let alone when the Emperor was still alive.

Arkan entered the Great Hall, one of but a few parts of the palace to survive intact since before the founding of not the Second Empire, but the Empire of Khorai I as well. A thousand years of history... A myriad of faces must've graced it with their presence in years long-since gone. The throne, surrounded by curtains, was ready for him, though the day was weeks away. Instead, he stopped at a shrine in the open-air chamber, wherein a suit of armor rested. Of course, he knew who it had belonged to... His most legendary of ancestors, Arkan I... Arkan the Great, as he was known to time.
 "Ancestral spirit whose name echoes through time, I ask that you be my guide." Arkan bowed deeply as a sign of reverence for his legendary ancestor. "Show me how best to lead our people in my reign." He said before returning to a standing position.
 "I'm sure you'll do fine..." A voice— His brother's— said from the entrance. "I mean, it isn't like you've got much to do-" Ikos was cut off mid-sentence, though it was clear he likely expected so much.
 "Other than preside over the Senate, perform duties for the State as a diplomat, attend ceremonies, make speeches every few months, not get shot... Yeah, not too much, sure." Arkan sighed, following it up with "I... I just want to do what's best for the Empire, you know that." as he looked out on the gardens in front of the room.
 "And you're gonna do that by... Praying to a suit of armor?" Ikos said in jest, trying to cheer him up. "Doesn't that seem, like, super desperate?"
 "Sure, sure, after all, I'm gonna need all the help I can get for the 28th." Arkan pointed out, slightly amused by it. "Iko, I want you to know... I appreciate the help you've been in the last few months... Getting ready for this and all." He said with a nod.
 "Don't forget sis. She's also helped." Ikos reminded him.
 "And Misko, yes." Arkan nodded in agreement. "But still... Thank you." He said before walking off, somewhat encouraged, though still nervous.