Author Topic: Unknown Dawn (Fantasy/near future sci-fi, semi-open)  (Read 2916 times)

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
Unknown Dawn (Fantasy/near future sci-fi, semi-open)
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:01 AM »

Unknown Dawn revolves around Sector 7, an underground tunnel complex once used as part of the Tinhil City metro in the Neo Quywe Federation. Following a catastrophic event known as The Fall on April 16th, 2054, the world's governments have gone dark, either destroyed or in hiding; and most of the world's population was overrun and killed by an unknown, primal invader in a matter of hours. Whoever is left is desperately trying to pick up the pieces and figure out just what happened that day, but their numbers are only shrinking.

Sector 7's ice cold director believes she has a solution to bring back humanity from the edge of extinction at the hands of its mysterious scourge.

To join, just PM me your character idea and let me take a look. All I ask is that your character isn't some super soldier or mary sue.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:01:02 AM by tama »
something funny or offensive here

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Dawn (Fantasy/near future sci-fi, semi-open)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:57:43 AM »
Tinhil City, Arunaya Province, Neo Quywe Federation
May 28th, 2056

No such thing as a peaceful sleep, Eztli thought as the commotion around him stirred him awake. "All block 7-J residents, report to the meeting room immediately." the intercom called out again and again; 7-J was mostly able bodied young men and women, probably looking for volunteers to go to the surface again, Eztli assumed. He quickly fixed his thick black hair to the side and splashed his face with cold water. He quickly disengaged himself from the hanging hand mirror and joined the stream of people.

While the gathering of people from 7-J was almost a weekly occurrence, Eztli locked eyes with a few obvious foreigners while passing through the dark concrete halls. Recent additions to 7-J, the first in a long time. Probably crawled into Sector 7 from the almost entirely abandoned Tenzai tunnel that once linked Tinhil City to Himeyama's capital. Though Himeyan they obviously weren't.

The meeting room was always occupied with engineers and scientists. They used data and images displayed on the countless consoles to help brief whoever was unfortunate or ballsy enough to go up to the surface when something went wrong. If Sector 7's military trained expedition teams got into trouble, even with scavenged military equipment, someone had to go pick up after them, and the ones that did were considered disposable. "Listen up, 7-J. Expedition teams Shinzan and Tecolotl were sent out 72 hours ago to look for a shipment of computer parts spotted about a week ago, Shinzan returned an hour ago with casualties and Tecolotl was last heard from 12 hours ago about 45 blocks away from Maruba station." The emotionless director of sector 7, a short and slender Vesian woman in a lab coat carefully explained the details of the situation.

"We will be forming a provisional expedition team to search for Tecolotl, survivors or their remains and equipment. I need at least 6 volunteers or I will pick you out myself." The Director glared into the crowd of people who gathered. Eztli sighed and stepped forward through the crowd, muttering among themselves. As a reservist trained for recon missions in the NQF armed forces before the Fall, he figured if someone had to go, he'd rather take the place of someone less adept. The Director gave a simple grunt to acknowledge his existence and turned her attention back to everyone else.

Mere seconds later a second pair of feet stepped up onto the elevated metal platform. Eztli looked back, and to his surprise, the introverted Maeka Ashikaga was now standing behind him, eyeing the director up and down. Maeka volunteering took Eztli by surprise, the daughter of a famous UTCT officer by the name of Yua, rarely even left her tent except to eat and exercise with a communal weight set. She was quiet. But Eztli had saw her fight before, fast, aggressive, efficient, if a bit spiteful; Eztli figured to avoid her, in case the stress of being on the surface caused her to snap on someone.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:01:24 AM by tama »

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »
There was an uncomfortable silence. The Director shot around some dirty looks, knowing that was enough to make some people budge. A man stood up, one of those ex-military with nothing left to lose after the Fall. "That's half. If that strong don't volunteer, the weak will take their place." She said coldly. A couple more seconds passed, slowly enough to feel like an hour. "We'll go." A young man said, a trio of delinquent-types stood up. Typical Himeyan boxing hooligans. The director removed her glasses. "We have enough, unless anyone else wants to go with them."

Nobody else said a word, as though they'd all rather nail themselves to their chairs than climb up to the surface. "Right then, the rest of you, get out. You'll earn your keep in Sector 7 through other means." At once the crowd stood up and excused themselves as fast as they possibly could. "As for you six. We have only two firearms to spare, and a handful of bullets each. You." She pointed to Eztli, finger inches away from his face. "You're responsible for the rifle." She ordered, pointing to a 50 year old bolt-action in the corner. She then pointed to the middle-aged ex-soldier. "You take the pistol. The rest of you will be given knives."

"I expect all of these to be returned to me after you come back. Report to the surface elevator immediately." The Director waved them off, refusing to acknowledge them any longer. "Couldn't even bother telling us what's out there, could she?" The blonde delinquent muttered; the back of her jacket embroidered with a Quywe war chant in calligraphy. "The only thing I've seen up there are Phoenixes. Those big chicken looking things." The blonde groaned. "And we're supposed to just stab them to death?"

"Awful ballsy to even consider that. What're your names, by the way?" The soldier asked. "Momiji. These are Futaba and Seiji." The blonde said, pointing to her friends. "I don't think those two need an introduction." Momiji snarled, pointing at Eztli and Maeka. "I'm keeping your asses alive with this thing, you could at least be nice." Eztli shot back, chambering a round in a dramatic fashion. "We'll see about that on the surface."

Without another word, they stepped onto the surface elevator. The walls were covered in memorials to survivors killed since being driven underground, it wasn't a very optimistic scene, considering quite a few of them had been killed shortly after leaving that very elevator. As they reached the surface, they could see the skyline lit up with neon lights and giant LED screens, still perfectly functional despite being neglected for two years. Likewise the streets were filled with arcades, restaurants and gambling parlors with the doors open and the lights on. As though human civilization was merely taking a 15 minute break from existing.

"This shit creeps me out. Let's get after those scouts." Eztli announced, walking slowly down the vibrantly lit street.

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
Momiji's radio buzzed to life. "Remember to keep in contact. Negligence has consequences." The Director's emotionless voice warned. To which Momiji rolled her eyes. "Okay, we're heading to your coordinates now." With Eztli at the head of the pack, the volunteers continued through the urban maze Tinhil City.

As she sat, patiently taking notes, a man barged in. "Director!" He cried. "A scout has reported seeing someone in the southern tunnel system." Seemingly frustrated, she looked up. "Why am I being told about it? Hurry up and kill it." The man stared at her awkwardly. "No, I mean an actual person!" Bewildered, the Director stared him down. "From the southern tunnels?"

"Arunaya Express Line. One of our scouts is keeping an eye on them." The Director looked back down at her notes. "I see. Get someone to back them up. Then you may initiate contact with them." She said, waving the man away with a hand gesture. "Yes ma'am!"

"That's the guy?" Eunbi whispered, tracking a man with the barrel of her rifle. "It's him. I'm gonna flank him then we'll say something." Nagamasa whispered back. He watched Eunbi crawl up against a large pipe, watching the man from above in the poorly-lit scaffolding near the ceiling. Behind their back, Nagamasa shuffled behind a concrete barricade and took aim at the man. Eunbi made a gesture.

"You there. Freeze." He commanded, aiming at the man at center mass. "What are your intentions?" He asked. Eunbi came out of hiding, audibly cocking her weapon for the stranger to hear.

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:30:04 AM »
Hetzein instinctively yanked out his sniper rifle and pointed it at Nagamasa's head, his feet snapping to a firing stance. He paused, realizing the voices were human and fearing bandits or worse, pulled back the bolt, the 7.62 mm round sliding into the chamber with a click. His eyes narrowed behind his military breathing mask[1] Realizing Eunbi was behind him, he cursed to himself, then without lowering his gun, responded to Nagamasa in low voice.

"I am... friendly. I certainly hope you aren't more bandits."
 1. basically an armored self-contained breathing apparatus mashed with a respirator.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 10:01:25 PM »
"This is a no bandit zone, we make sure of that." Eunbi said coldly, still tracking Hetzein's movements through the end of her barrel. "Anyways, how the hell did you make it here if you're not a bandit?" Nagamasa inquired, lowering his own weapon slightly. "Sector 7 is a few kilometers ahead, but all we've seen come from this line are raiders."

"If he is a bandit after all, we have a hostage for when his friends show up. If not, the Director will probably want to speak to him anyways." Eunbi noted, peering up from her sights. "Take him back, more of us are coming." Nagamasa nodded and turned his back, motioning to Hetzein to follow with his head. "It's a security thing. We haven't encountered any friendly settlements." He said.

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:03:15 AM »
Hetzein scowled under his mask but followed Nagamasa anyway, lowering his sniper rifle to his chest. "Then you never looked deep enough. What is this Sector 7, and who is this 'Director'?" To Eunbi he grumbled over his shoulder, "It's none of your business."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!