Author Topic: One on One  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
One on One
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
One on One®
with Will Fowler

One on One, hosted by senior reporter Will Fowler, is a TBS news program broadcast on Wednesday afternoons, generally featuring live interviews with various Tytorian politicians and celebrities, though international personalities appear on occasion as well.  I'll be reposting One on One's interview with Prince Harold de Tarrenburg shortly to show the intended post format, and then I'll be using this post as an index of particular interviews.  Subsequently, anyone who wants to have a character appear on One on One should contact me to arrange the interview.

List of Past Shows:
6/12/2019 - Harold de Tarrenburg, Tytor
8/14/2019 - Prince Regent Albrecht, Neu Uburzis
4/22/2020 - Akasha Di-'nh-mi-Re, Clysperis
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:11:55 AM by Tytor »
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
Re: One on One
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »
One on One®
with Will Fowler

Interview with Tytor's Prince Harold
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019

Will Fowler: "Good afternoon, everyone, and welcome to One on One.  I'm Will Fowler, joined today by the royal family's Prince Harold.  As His Majesty's younger twin brother, Prince Harold has made headlines recently with his unexpected run for the House of Commons on the Conservative Party's ticket.  Despite, or, perhaps, because of, the novelty of the situation, he has led in each poll of his district's constituents.  Thank you for being willing to meet with me.  I'm really excited for this interview."

Prince Harold: "You're most certainly welcome.  It's good to be with you."

WF: "I appreciate that.  So, to begin, no member of the royal family has ever sought elected office like this before.  What made you decide to run for Parliament?"

PH: "Well, you see, growing up I'd always admired those old folks who got together in that big old building by Forrest Park, bickering and arguing but still managing to pass stuff anyway.  I'd always wanted to be like them.  Then, one afternoon last year, I looked in the mirror and realized I was finally old myself, and ever since then I've just been waiting for an opportunity."

WF: "Really?"

PH: "Nah, I'm just kidding.  I've been paying attention to the issues on debate recently, and I feel like this country really needs a good solid shot of common sense.  There's so much we could be doing--that we should be doing--that we aren't doing.  I hope to be able to help this country get back on track; back to the standards and principles of compassionate government that have brought us so far in this modern global society."

WF: "And you feel that you are the right person to help make that change happen?"

PH: "Yes, I do.  We'll see if the voters agree with me come election time."

WF: "I see.  Could you elaborate a little bit on the changes you want to see happen?"

PH: "Certainly.  For one thing, I think that Parliament has recently been relying too much on what the world defines as a progressive modern society rather than taking a good serious look at what's best for this country and this people.  Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not being isolationistic or proposing anti-globalist policies.  No, nothing like that.  We live in a global society, and I think that's a good thing; it helps keep nations accountable.  But when the international community is advocating so-called reforms that run contrary to our moral values, or even pushing for inaction when action is required, then we need to choose to make a stand, even if it means that we stand alone."

WF: "Might it be a little dangerous to abandon Tytor's partnerships and commitments?"

PH: "Oh, that's not what I'm proposing.  As I said, we live in a global community now, and we'll never again be able to do without allies and international treaties.  But when there are those who make friendship conditional upon their idea of how we Tytorians should run our nation, then perhaps we need to reconsider being friends with them."

WF: "Are you referring to a particular nation or group?"

PH: "No, not really.  I simply think that this country needs to be careful.  You could, after all, make the argument that the world remains a dangerous place."

WF: "You most certainly could, yes.  What with nuclear weapons tests, saber rattling, and other such developments, many observers are calling this period one of the world's most dangerous yet.  What do you believe the Tytorian government ought to do about it?"

PH: "That's an excellent question, Will.  I think it depends on the situation.  I am, of course, just as committed to seeing Mundus become conflict-free as anyone else, but at times the best response to the threat of force is to call the aggressor's bluff, so to speak.  Many times throughout history, wars or other crises have been averted simply by making the stakes higher than the other side is willing to face."

WF: "Do you see Tytor playing that role in future?"

PH: "Perhaps.  At the moment, I would say no, however.  The international community commonly fails to take us seriously; we're often seen as just another Rokkenjiman lackey--their feelings, not mine.  There seems to be very little respect for our role in the world.  Case in point, Tytor was recently left completely out of a comparative study of hard and soft power in the global arena; whether intentional or an oversight, it certainly throws Tytor's worldwide influence into serious question."

WF: "I see your point.  Now, one more question, and then we're out of time.  In the ongoing crisis with Slava Lavosk, the government has taken a hard-line stance in backing up a proposed Rokkenjiman blockade with Tytorian warships.  Some in your party, along with more in the larger Conservative Alliance, have denounced this action as 'provocative' or 'irresponsible'.  What is your take on the situation?"

PH: "It's certainly complicated, I'll give you that.  I would say that, given the timing of the developments, the Prime Minister was right to act quickly in support of our allies.  Does that mean that Tytor should follow through with the blockade?  I don't know yet; there's a lot of information that we don't have.  Other nations have been quick to rush to judgment, denouncing the blockade plans as 'illegal', but there is no international treaty of which I am aware, and certainly none that Tytor has ratified, which forbids blockades as a legitimate response to foreign aggression.  I note also that Slava Lavosk, particularly their current administration, has a horrendous human rights record--not exactly the kind of regime we can trust with nuclear weaponry."  He paused for a moment before continuing.  "There was a time, and it wasn't all that long ago, when these tests would have resulted in global sanctions and near-universal condemnation.  Now, however, most nations are content to merely look passively on while condemnation comes not to the aggressor but to those who act in response.  We must not stand idly by while dictators and madmen destroy the peace we have so narrowly won."

WF: "Well, that about does it for our time here today.  Thank you once again, Your Highness, for consenting to appear on our show.  And folks, thank you for tuning in.  We'll be back after the break with Shelby Forthright, Speaker of Floodwater's People's Assembly, to discuss a recent initiative aimed at countering the effects of global warming on the island's famous coral reefs.  This has been One on One."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:05:05 PM by Tytor »
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 12:11:34 AM »
One on One®
with Will Fowler

Interview with Neu Uburzis's Prince Regent Albrecht
Wednesday, August 14th, 2019

Will Fowler: "Good afternoon, everyone, and welcome to One on One.  I'm Will Fowler, and I'm joined today by Prince Regent Albrecht of Neu Uburzis.  Though Neu Uburzis is not a country with which Tytor has had too much interaction, it remains one of the players on today's international stage.  Your Highness, welcome to Tytor.  It's good to have you here."

Prince Regent Albrecht: "I'm honored to be invited. As you mentioned just now, our Nations haven't gotten close to each other yet, this is a great opportunity to open a door."  Albrecht folds his hands, holding them close to his lap.

WF: "I certainly hope so.  As I'm sure you're aware, most Tytorians are unfamiliar with your nation and its history.  What would you say are the essentials for someone who is starting to learn about Neu Uburzis in preparation for, say, a trip there?"

PRA: "I'd say the amount of Togas in everyday live is a shock to many people. Where other nations went to suits and dresses, we in a way reversed to Noniam clothing for formal clothing." Albrecht leans back resting his chin on his right hand. "Of course there's the fact we have an abundance of airships in Neu Uburzis. They are a great way to Travel and experience our Nation. You'd just have to be aware that food prices, especially Animal Products, are high. Mandatory Organic Farming does have it's price."

WF: "I see.  You say 'mandatory organic farming'.  What kinds of food products do farmers in Neu Uburzis produce?"

PRA: "Aside from the Basics like Wheat and Rye, we have a lot of Vineyards along the Slopes of the Niam River. Our Winemakers are a very proud set of people. My favorite is called Orphans Blood. It has lovely Rose Wine with a very pinkish color, and surprisingly deep flavors for a rose due to Oak Barrel aging.  When it comes to the Meats, I'd have to Shout out the Beef our Farmers labelled WoW-Gyu in an attempt to market to Rokkenjima. It's expensive, but you won't find marbling more exquisite elsewhere."  Albrecht for a moment, involuntarily actually licks his lower lip.

WF: "Fascinating.  You also mentioned airships; what can you share about those?"

PRA: "The Empire still uses Rigid style Airships. While other Nations dropped them for Jet Aircraft, we kept on using them due to their environmental benefits. In fact, most civil air transport is done with airships inside the Empire. You need a special permission for Jet flight. We do try to use as much Bio fuel for them as possible."

WF: "You know, the more we talk about this, the more I want to visit, just for the experience.  Changing the subject slightly, what would you consider the basics of Neu Uburzian history?"

PRA: Albrecht sits back up straight, before answering. "I'd say the two center points was when the Empire was formed. Several small Micro Kingdoms and City states were at War for over three Decades, and had bled the Nation dry. In the End, the first Emperor gathered unlikely allies to outwit the remaining warmongers, and formed a nation by diplomacy. The second significant moment was when our nation isolated itself. Pressured by foreign forces, industrial colonialism, and polluted landscapes, Emperor Konstantin turned his back on Christianity and the Trinity order, declared the Faith of the Divine Spirits state religion, and Isolated the Nation diplomatically. This is the Time our deeply rooted, what a lot of nations would call leftist Ecology nonsense, comes from. For us it's an old conservative value."

WF: "The Faith of the Divine Spirits?  Could you elaborate?"

PRA: "It's what most Uburzians believe in these days. It's not exactly a centralized faith, with many cults worshiping different aspects of existence. What they do have in common that we don't believe in a, what we call, humanized deity. We do not believe that some sort of old gray man or woman sits in the heavens and judges. We share the believe that the forces of nation themselves are piece of an overarching divinity, thus are called the divine spirits. It's a form of evolved Paganism as theologians call it. Instead of the God of the Ocean, we pray to the Ocean. But we don't expect mercy. We'd pray to Mercy for that. But I think you'd better interview High Priestess Hohenrod on the Topic, she's one of the Elder Senators and the Head of the Cult of Death."

WF: "Fair enough.  Let's turn, then, to international events.  There's been a lot of controversy recently over the issue of nuclear weapons.  What is your country's official stance on the matter?"

PRA: "We don't want them, they pollute the ground for Generations to come and are one of the most unethical ways to fight. Most Uburzians would also consider them a coward's weapon. Right now the Senate is discussing joining MAEA. This discussion mostly takes place for this prolonged time due to decisions considering our own Nuclear Power plants, that we sadly need for now."

WF: "So, then, it would be safe to say that Neu Uburzis fully supports attempts at nuclear disarmament?"

PRA: "We do. Nuclear weapons are, in the End, pointless. Unless your intent is scorched earth, which in itself is pointless, as you never gain anything from scorched earth. Everyone just loses more."

WF: "Perhaps it's my imagination, but there seems to be some disagreement on that coming from at least some parts of Midaranye, particularly Slava Lavosk.  What would you say to those who believe that nuclear weaponry is an acceptable deterrent, or even a necessary one?"

PRA: "I actually just have traveled there, to gain a better understanding of the motives in Midaranye. As the Prince regent, I'm expected to first listen to their reasoning before making a public judgment. The meeting with Slava's Leader has been delayed though, so I haven't been able to give him a chance to lay out his viewpoint to me."

WF: "Well, that seems like a reasonable answer to me.  One more question, then, before we wrap up.  With the seemingly continuous series of crises that Mundus has seen in recent years, what advice would you give to those who fear the worst for themselves, their families, or their countries?"

PRA: "Work to protect your families from harm, and don't worry about what does no harm to you. I feel a lot of people keep working themselves up about enforcing on others how to live, instead of working to make a better future from what actually threatens your children, grandchildren, and your nations on the long run."

WF: "Wise words, Your Highness.  Well, that just about does it for our time here today.  Thank you so much for consenting to this interview.  Folks, once again, this has been an interview with Prince Regent Albrecht of Neu Uburzis.  After the break, I'll be speaking with Richard E. Daniels, owner and CEO of seafood chain Moby Dick's, about the economics of the fast food industry and its place in the world economy.  This has been One on One."

(OOC: Collaborative post with Norgeras.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:14:21 PM by Tytor »

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:09:59 AM »
One on One®
with Will Fowler

Interview with Clysperis's Pharaoh Akasha
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020

Will Fowler: "Welcome back, folks, to this week's edition of One on One.  My next guest today is Akasha Di-'nh-mi-Re, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Divine of Appearance, Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra, Lord of the Three Lands, Ruler of Justice like Ra, High Priest of Every Temple, the Eye of Horus, Satisfied is the heart of Ra.  In short, Pharaoh Akasha of Clysperis, formerly known as Beketaten.  The pharaoh is joining me here via satellite transmission from her palace in Khemnen.  That's quite a long title you've got there, Your Highness.  How was my pronunciation?"

Pharaoh Akasha: "Better than most foreigners, it seems you've done your homework on our language. And thank you for having me with you! It's always a pleasure to sit down with the media, answering questions and providing everyone a look into what our government is doing."

WF: "Thank you for agreeing to sit down with me, even if it is over satellite.  You know, going into this I was uncertain that you would be willing to be interviewed by a Tytorian.  There's never really been much of a bond between our nations, exemplified by your recent attacks on the character of our prime minister, Madeline Thatcher.  My first real question for you, then, is this: what has been your overall impression of the Tytorian government over the years, particularly the Thatcher administration?"

PA: "To hold all Tytorians responsible for the actions of their government would make me as bad as those I speak out against. I studied in Rokkenjima, attending the University of Ashinxao where I received a Degree in International Affairs. Why Rokkenjima, one may ask? It is wise to understand the ways of one's adversary, and what better way to gain an understanding but to be educated in one of the centres of the internationalist system? I'm sorry, I digress. While it is clear to me that Tytor as a nation is capable of forming policies independent of Rokkenjima, you are a long-standing ally of theirs; you saw Empress-Emerita Beatrice proclaim Prime Minister Thatcher the Iron Lady. We view Rokkenjima as a long-term threat to the safety and stability of the Kingdom thus, out of an abundance of caution, we must assume that the Kingdom is at least somewhat aligned with Rokkenjiman policy toward Clysperis and our principle allies, the Tamoran Empire. Unfortunate though it may be, we must be cautious, as granting any benefit of the doubt could harm our long-term interests as a nation."

WF: "I see.  So would you consider it fair to say that you also regard Tytor as a threat at present?"

PA: "It's a consideration I have to take into account, yes. I believe the phrase in your tongue would be guilt by association, if that makes sense?"

WF: "It does, yes.  Moving on, we've recently seen what appears to be the end, or something like the end, of the Clysperi civil war that has raged over the past... how long has it been?"

PA: "Major conflict operations against the terrorists have been taking place for nearly eighteen months. With the capture of Nekhtou and the defections we're now witnessing from the carcass of his 'confederacy' I'll be declaring an end to major combat operations tomorrow. We may see some pockets of fighting crop up, but the majority is behind us I feel."

WF: "So what happens next?"

PA: "We rebuild. We've broken ground on Setri, the new economic capital of Clysperis, and are seeing projects begin to rebuild in areas formerly under the control of the terrorists. We're also taking the opportunity to build better than before in a process which provides jobs for Clysperi People as they, too, begin to rebuild the lives of their families."

WF: "Do you have any details you could share about what that process will look like?"

PA: "Certainly. Several buildings were damaged across the Southern Lands as was infrastructure, power installations, and other utilities. Those beyond salvage can see new construction, more efficient systems built in their place, while also providing new infrastructure which will support the Clysperi economic revival. We're also taking the funds and assets of the terrorists and utilizing them in programs and funds to support their victims."

WF: "I seem to recall something in the Clysperi media about community service of a sort being mentioned as a potential sentence for convicted rebels.  A recent editorial in The Williamshaven Gazette suggested that, because of Tamora's influence on your nation, this could be a precursor to restoring the practice of slavery in Clysperis.  Do you have anything to say in response to this accusation?"

PA: "When determining the fate of these people, the laws which state that prisoners of war essentially belong to the Pharaoh was mentioned by my advisers. Seeing the destruction they have done to their nation and people, I determined that a community service regime was most appropriate. Where this program goes will largely depend upon many factors, but at this point in time reforms to the program are not being considered."

WF: "Very diplomatically put.  Changing tack here again to stay with the topic of Tamora, you relied very heavily on Tamoran troops in your counterinsurgency campaign.  On top of that, you are currently engaged to a Tamoran prince.  Do you worry that Tamoran influence could cause Clysperis to find itself losing its independence?"

PA: "The relationship between Clysperis and Tamora is, I hate to say it because it sounds so horribly cliche, unique. My father had long spoken of the trust we should hold in Tamora. They had helped topple the Soviet occupation and restored the line of Pharaohs to their rightful place and, since that time, have stood beside the Kingdom, never ahead of it. When I had the blessing to visit Tamora for the first time I finally had a chance to convey my thanks to the Tamoran People and Empire. Manism is a sister-faith to our own while we saw Clysperi Manists form the Common Defense League. That Prince Naser and I found love was itself a wonderful surprise. I'm not worried about Tamoran influence because Clysperi and Tamorans are very much like family. Tamora doesn't seek to dominate Clysperis."

WF: "And if I asked any major Tamoran or Clysperi government official off the record, do you believe that I would get a similar answer?"

PA: "Without a doubt. We're two cultures who stay true to our traditions, honouring the faiths of our fathers while so many around us turn their backs upon their cultures to curry favour with the internationalist powers. Just as Clysperis would never impose upon Tamora, Tamora shall never impose upon Clysperis. It is simply not the way of our cultures."

WF: "Speaking of culture, aside from Tamora, what non-Clysperi societies have you found most interesting or inspiring?  Or have you found interest in any of them?"

PA: "Midaranye is home to a variety of cultures that are rich, having persisted for countless centuries as the world around us traded in values and principles for whatever passes as trendy for any given era. The Bene Gesserit, who persist against the bastards of Stalin in Kaitaine. You've also the Water Nomads, who to this day forsake the land for the seas. A truly beautiful culture that is so viciously maligned and made to be villains by the likes of Lodja. It's truly shameful for Mundus to turn a blind eye to their plight and, once I am in a position to do so, I hope we can see a greater move to protect long-lasting cultures from the corrosive effects of cultural imperialism."

WF: "Any ideas on what form such a move would take?  Or is that a bridge better crossed when we get to it?"

PA: "Clysperis is looking into seeing a sort of mutualism take hold across Mundus, essentially sovereign nations supporting one another while placing key institutions under majority control. We've seen for some time the mechanisms of the international system geared to the benefit of a select few nations, it's time that those processes are opened up to the majority to ensure that abuses of power, and the weaponization of international accords, becomes a thing of the past. Through this, at-risk cultures would have a network of support from which to draw upon."

WF: "Fascinating.  Do you have any particular examples of this weaponization you refer to?"

PA: "Perhaps a most recent one is the very situation which your nation faced when your Rokkenjiman allies wished to sell you a few submarines. The taste is still sour in your mouth from that ordeal, is it not? We've also the application of double-standards in enforcement, and the ability of some nations to act in violation of international accords without fear of any significant backlash. I mean you've the Ålanders acting against minorities in a manner which would see other nations ostracized, but due to their links to East Moreland they've no reason to fear international action. Likewise, the Iwi may kidnap men from the seas, or bash their heads in, and still retain strong military and cultural ties to the self-proclaimed enlightened powers."

WF: "I think I've opened a whole new can of worms here, but we're running short on time, so just one more question: with the recent dismantling of Rokkenjima's last nuclear warhead, Achkaerin is left with Mundus's only remaining stockpile of nuclear weapons.  How do you view the unilateral disarmament of the world's recognized nuclear powers, and how do you think the balance of power will shift in its aftermath?"

PA: "I've never been one to shy from controversy you know, if it needs to be said do so without varnish. As for the unilateral disarmament, it's certainly one which is worthy of applause. Nuclear weapons have allowed these nations to thrust themselves into conflicts across Mundus comfortable in the knowledge that the power of the atom essentially shielded them from any meaningful opposition or retribution. Without them, the equation becomes more equal, but it will be a long time before things change as other circumstances exist which will allow them to continue their actions largely unchallenged if the status quo remains so strongly in place. Also, this is one situation which I may commend Rokkenjima and Tytor: you both saw the threat in Slava Lavosk, you reacted with strength and force in response to their nuclear program, and you were both attacked for it, almost as if Rokkenjima and Tytor were the true problem. Perhaps, some day, we may set aside our differences and realize there's more to be gained in cooperation, rather than opposition, to nations like Clysperis and Tamora. Only the future will tell."

WF: "And that, I think, is a great place to conclude.  Thank you once again, Your Highness, for joining me here today.  It has been a real pleasure.  With that, folks, we've come to the conclusion of this week's edition of One on One.  Join us next week as we continue our explorations of the world in which we live.  Until then, I'm Will Fowler, and this is TBS."

(OOC: Collaborative post with Beatrice.)