Author Topic: The Commonwealth (News from Eskdale)  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Jargalant (FKA Eskdale)

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Eskdale
The Commonwealth (News from Eskdale)
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:58 PM »

QUEEN DIANE COMMITS TO INTERNATIONAL
CO-OPERATION

Today the Grand Council has begun one of its scheduled meetings. Queen Diane of Thornhill attended the meeting in person with one eye firmly on the beginnings of reforms. The Grand Council takes place four times a year and is used by the Commonwealth as a way of the three Kingdoms co-ordinating on matters that impact all three Kingdoms. While it is not uncommon for the monarchs to attend as part of their delegation it is not legally required. His Majesty King Robert II of Blackbeck has sent his apologise to the Council and will not be attending. The meeting takes place at Westlinton which is the city where all three Kingdoms interlock. Queen Diane arrived last night and spoke briefly with the media to outline her agenda.

"Since I became Queen in 2019 I have attempted to start to move the Commonwealth towards taking part in more international events. You see Thornhill is a blessed Kingdom that has been fortunate to grow and grow since embracing our potential to be the Commonwealth's powerhouse in terms of financial services and software related developments. The problem for us now is that for us to keep growing we need to embrace new potentials and while I of course love Blackbeck and Papcastle like my brothers but Mundus has a great deal to offer and we have a lot to offer them. During the next session of the Grand Council I hope to be able to convince the others that there are some key goals we should set for the Royal Overseer in the next few months. The first target I would set Duke Stanley Keyes is to begin getting us all access to foreign markets. I would first of all target the MICA nations as they sit on our doorstep before looking at perhaps arrangements with other nations in Western Aranye. I do not foresee King Henry or King Robert putting stumbling blocks in the way to this set of targets you can never be sure."

The Grand Council is likely to sit for three days and the agenda is also likely to cover membership of organisations and treaties such as MCUR and the Uppsala Convention. There is also likely to be discussion of the establishment of the new National Heritage Museum. The proposal is to build a complex next to the Grand Council building which would showcase the shared heritage of the Three Kingdoms. The Legate of the Lorsch faith is also keen for this to be constructed and has confirmed that should the go ahead be given the faith would be willing to stump up a share of the project. Legate Deacon William Oakdale spoke excitedly about the project when he said, "The idea of three Kingdoms is one that is at times a thing that makes me sad. Eskdale is a place where we all share a common language, a common faith, a common love for the land we inhabit. It is now too late to go back to a single Kingdom and so long as the Commonwealth lives together in peace I will be happy. What must happen though is the future generations must understand this common heritage and embrace it so the Commonwealth only grows stronger. This museum can be a great foundation for this and as our faith is such a central part of the shared heritage then it is only right that we share part of the cost. I hope that we can get the Grand Council to agree to this project."

Under what is possibly a unique arrangement the city of Westlinton is located where the three Kingdoms meet with each Kingdom controlling a section of the city with a central zone made up of mainly the old Medieval City being an essential "No-Mans Land" which is in the care of the Royal Overseer but no new construction or change of use of buildings can take place without all three monarchs consenting. Should this new museum go ahead it would require all three monarchs approving and it is highly likely that will be the case.

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: The Commonwealth (News from Eskdale)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »

GRAND COUNCIL APPROVE TREATIES

The Grand Council have today approved the Commonwealth signing several key pieces of international legislation. Following a day of lengthy debates, largely down to the number of treaties to be discussed, the council gave unanimous support to the majority. The Uppsala Convention and Fair Seas Treaty passed with relative ease. The Outer Space Standards however passed 52-48 with several delegates voting against joining saying that the treaty "had many merits however it is a treaty we believe is already in tatters and has no way of being enforceable." With Eskdale having no space programme beyond ground based observations it is largely believed that the treaty is largely seen as irrelevant to the Commonwealth however one delegate who voted against did say. "The littering of the orbit of Mundus with so much satellite and probe technology is already preventing some nations from their own research paths. If all nations were to put a space station for example in orbit the ability of running things such as radio telescopes from the ground may become troublesome. Nations are therefore already beginning to control what research other nations can and can not do with the wealthier and more established nations enforcing their will."

The Mundus Convention on Human Rights was rejected by the Grand Council 72-28 with most opponents to it saying "The Pactum Regina Anne has guarded the rights and liberties of the citizens of Eskdale for close to 400 years. Its grants the vast majority of the rights given by the MCUR but does so through our own hand. As we reject the notion of other nations telling us how to define marriage, dictate a educational curriculum nor any other imposition on a nations sovereignty. Any nation on Mundus may examine The Pactum Regina Anne and subsequent amendments and know we are a fair society."

Treaties for Protetcion of Hygelac and Hrothgar were also approved by the Grand Council with just 1 vote against. Permission was also granted for the Commonwealth's Overseer to pursue enquires about membership of the Illumic Council and MICA. 

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: The Commonwealth (News from Eskdale)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »

ORDER OF CONNLA TO "GO BENE GESSERIT"

Prince William, the eldest son of King Henry of Papcastle, has today spoken of the Order of Connla copying approaches taken by the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood in taking a deep interest in education. The Prince is a member of the prestigious Order of Connla which is tasked with ensuring the future of the Lorchist faith. The Prince announced that the Order is to invest some $30million to establish a series of schools outside of Eskdale. The 35 year old Prince is a former officer in the Military Police and joined the Order after being invited in 2017. He has been one of the more public faces of the Order which is still in many ways rather reclusive. The Prince spoke from Papcastle's capital, Whaw and said, "The Lorchist faith is in good health in the United Kingdoms. We have done well to ensure it resists challenges from other faiths but it must spread and thrive beyond its natural homeland. We have witnessed the approach taken by the Bene Gesserit and they have done an incredible job in protecting and promoting their faith and I believe that it stems from their attitude towards education. A wise man once said knowledge is power and that is truly the case. We have agreed today in principle to establish a pair of schools in different locations across Mundus and while we will teach a broad range of knowledge the philosophy and values of the school shall be shaped by our faith. Now we shall work to find a good location."

The Order have already got three schools in Eskdale, one in each Kingdom, while also helping fund a theological college. The leader or the Lorchist faith,  Deacon William Oakdale, said he was pleased the Order was taking these steps. "The entire Lorchist faith should help spread the word of the Almighty. In that mission the Order of Connla are just the vanguard. This is an interesting idea and I fully support them, as I will always. I will be working carefully with the Order, in particular Prince William, to ensure that any such expansion is as successful as it can be."