Author Topic: A Request from the Maori to Arashkai and Tytor  (Read 1184 times)

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
A Request from the Maori to Arashkai and Tytor
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »

To:- Prime Minister Madeline Thatcher &  Eshai-va Arkan VII Vahram ve Sherkoz

I am writing to you with a request that reflects a cultural movement within my Commonwealth to ask for permission to construct a area known as a Marae. Traditionally these are areas of cleared land bordered by either a set of marker stones or fence at the heart of which is a meeting hall considered a sacred site to the Maori.

In our cultural beliefs there are several significant connections between Maori religious belief and islands under your governance. As such I am asking for permission to build a Marae on the Arashkai island in the North of the Kyne and the island of Floodwater. It is held by those of us who believe in the traditional Maori faith that once upon a time the Kyne was full of island and it was be navigating through these that we happened to end up in the Commonwealth a long time ago. It is our belief that some of these islands became the resting place of great spirits and in the case of the Arashkai island the warrior Tongariro took the island as his home while just across the water his lover the female warrior Pihanga took up residence on what is today considered Floodwater. Such was the beauty of Pihanga many other warriors came to steal her away however the two lovers fought them off, thus explaining the lack of other large islands in the Kyne today. We believe though that the spirits of these great warriors still reside there. As such these two islands should have places honouring their spiritual power and influence.

Should you see your way to agreeing we would like to purchase a plot of land, no smaller than 100meters by 100 meters, with a view overlooking the Kyne. Upon that site we would wish to construct on half of it a hall as described. The hall would be in the centre of the plot and sacred fences or borders erected around the outer edge. In addition we would like to make arrangements by which pilgrims can gain access to the sites once constructed if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best Regards

King Piripi, not of the Ngāpuhi but of the Iwi

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: A Request from the Maori to Arashkai and Tytor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 07:54:25 PM »
The Kingdom of Tytor
Official Communique
Prime Minister's Office

King Piripi,

It is with the greatest of interest that I read your message.  Were circumstances different, I would be strongly inclined to grant your request.  However, Floodwater is an autonomous region, and I have therefore forwarded your communication there.  Shelby Forthright, Speaker of the People's Assembly of Floodwater, should be in touch shortly.

Sincerely,

-Madeline Thatcher
Prime Minister

The Floodwater Integral Autonomous Region
Official Communique
Speaker's Office

King Piripi,

I am writing to you in my capacity as the head of the elected autonomous government of Floodwater, known to its native inhabitants as ʻĀinawai, which can be translated poetically to "Land Amid the Waters", though the name is more commonly translated literally to "Water Land" when it is translated at all.

I read your request with some curiosity.  I know that the Maori and native Floodwaterians are similar in many respects.  The two groups speak related languages, follow related traditions, and share a related history.  With this in mind, I wish to invite you and anyone you wish to bring with you to Port Monsoon to meet with me and leading members of the native Floodwaterian community.  In this meeting, we will discuss the details of your proposal while striving to remain sensitive to both Maori and local traditions.

If this is acceptable to you, please respond with a list of those who will be accompanying you.

Mahalo,

-Shelby Forthright
Speaker of the People's Assembly
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
Re: A Request from the Maori to Arashkai and Tytor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »

The Mishei Eshva of the Empire of Arashkai, Lord Protector of the territories of Rusan and Andreš, addresses this communique to the honorable King Piripi of the Iwi. May good health be with you.

While I must say i am surprised to have received such a request as this directly, I must admit I am most intrigued by the proposition. However, as a matter of state policy, I feel I must inform you that we do not accept the sale or transfer of our land to foreign powers without good reason.

I am well aware of the cultural and religious significance of the island of Rusan to your people, of course, and yes, I do not doubt it would be significant for those who ascribe to your faith, but we do not see the construction of a religious structure by a foreign government as such a valid reason to grant you the land. It would be like us asking the Heyrans for land in Juhi simply because we owned a few forts in the area a few centuries ago, or us trying to purchase land in Tytor because a prominent theologian of the Vakanist faith lived there for a while in the 6th century.

If, however, you wish to see the structure built, I would like to suggest that you support a religious organization that would want to see such a structure built and in doing so, remaining in compliance within Arashin law. Make no mistake, we will support its construction, but not sell land which has been Arashin for more than half a millennium to a foreign power in order to achieve such a goal. If you have further questions, feel free to ask them.