Author Topic: The Mhorish and Illumic Co-operative Agency Conference  (Read 16692 times)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The Mhorish and Illumic Co-operative Agency Conference
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
OOC- Unable to find the old charter so figured we'd pretend it never happened and start from scratch.

To the nations of the Mhorish and Illumic

It has come to my attention that our nations who share the coastlines of these two bodies of water have a great potential to work co-cooperatively to support each other in our attempts to make our nations more prosperous and to build better relations between us, thus ensuring the continued peace and harmony in the region.

With that in mind I would like to invite each nation with territory in this region to meet with myself and my team at Northfort Palace. I have a proposal of a charter to create an organisation that will promote trade, tourism, educational opportunities and scientific endeavour, I would welcome nations to come and work with us to bring this organisation into existance in a mutually beneficial way.

I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nations Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland.

Spoiler: Proposed Charter • show

The nations which sign this charter commit themselves to work together with their partners in this endeavour in a spirit of friendship. It is the hope that this charter will allow members nations to fulfil four aims.

1. To live in peace with their fellow Mhorish and Illumic nations, solving disputes peacefully and swiftly.

2. To promote trade and commerce to the benefit of all parties.

3. To promote educational opportunities for all regardless of background.

4. To further mankind's knowledge of the world in which we live for the betterment of all.

In order to fulfil these aims the members agree to abide by the following Articles.

1. Any nation with access to the Mhorish or Illumic coastline may become a member of this organisation by agreeing to abide by its articles and aims. Any nations admission may be stopped should a motion to not admit be presented and supported by 75% of voting members.

2. All members agree to permit trade from MICA members tariff free so long as the following criteria are meet.

a) Companies abide by all local rules governing health and safety.
b) Companies abide by all local laws governing prohibited materials and substances.
c) Companies pay local taxes at the same rate as local companies.

3. No extra taxes will be charged on a company transfering funds home once they have paid local taxes.

4. All members agree that any company may establish enterprises as long as they comply with local business laws, health and safety regulations and employment practices.

5. All members agree to Visa free travel so long as the following criteria are meet.

a) The traveller has a return ticket valid no longer than 60 days after entering the nation.
b) The traveller has access to sufficient funds to pay for their stay.
c) The traveller has no criminal record that has seen them spend more than 12 months in prison.
d) The traveller is not considered a risk to national security.

6. All members agree to maintain an active embassy in all other member nations. Should the ambassador be given at least 24 hours written notice they must present themselves before the Head of State and/or Government of the host nation.

7. Embassies agree to host at least one cultural event each year in their host nation.

8. Member nations agree to permit students from all MICA nations to apply for courses at their University on equal terms with native students.

9. Member nations agree that university students require no visa for their study as long as they meet the following criteria.

a) They have a confirmed place at a University in the host nation.
b) They are able to fund their placement without help from the host nation.
c) They are not considered a threat to national security.

10. All foreign students completing a degree in another member nation have the right to reside and work in the nation they have studied in for 12 months following the end of their study.

11. All member nations agree to the formation of the MICA Science Board. Each nation shall make an annual grant to the board according to their own financial situation.

12. The MICA Science Board shall be composed of one representative from each member nation. Their role shall be to distribute grant money to projects encouraging young scientists and researchers. These grants shall be given to projects deemed worthwhile that meet the following criteria.

a) The average age of the researchers involved is less than 35.
b) The researchers involved represent more than one nation.
c) The research project must, upon completion, make their data freely available.
d) Should the research project produce a valid patent 10% of any profit made from its use must be returned to MICA Science Board until the value of the grant is recouped.
e) Weapons research is not permitted.

13. Member nations agree to settle their disputes amicably to this end the MICA Mediation Group shall be established, this shall consist of one appointed legal expert from each nation. Should nations be in dispute the Group shall convene, minus the parties in dispute and make a recommendation. This recommendation is not binding.

14. Member nations may withdraw from this treaty at any time losing the rights it grants immediately.

Signed_____________________

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
Re: The Mhorish and Illumic Co-operative Agency Conference
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:44:14 AM »
Salutations,

As an country in Mundus that is really active in trading, and also having the biggest port of Alba Karinya. We also think it is important to bring the nations of the Illumic and the Mhorish Seas closer together. We can see a lot of positive points in this treaty, Vaguzia really supports this idea, so i am delighted to sign this treaty.

Greetings, Prime Minister Xavier Jésus of the Kingdom of Vaguzia.

Offline Chocomoto

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:36:45 AM »

Quote from: Letter formally approved by the National Assembly
To whom it may concern,

Following review of King David III's invitation, the Principality of Vesi would like to request observer status in the conference. While not having a port on the Mhorish sea or in the Illumic channel, trade coming to and from those regions are an important part of our economy and that of the Horn of Ardia. While we do not intend to fully engage in discussion, we would like to send a delegation to listen in on the proposals put forth by the nations intending to join this agreement.

Please consider our request,
Prime Minister Hung Du Ho

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
The Lake shimmered in the bright sunlight of what would probably be the last sunny day the country would have for its summer, soon autumn would begin and the avenue of trees either side of the waterway would start turning their reds, David liked that time of year, the bright colours and the crisp clear days. Rhiannon was merrily running around trying to get her kite to fly but couldn't get it going despite encouragement from her father. "I told you its not windy enough" David explained as his daughter started to look glum, he glanced at his watch. "You're going to have to put it away anyway, its time to head off for your weekend away" Rhiannon obediently packed her kite away into its little pink rucksack which David helped her put on, he hugged his daughter. "Be good for your mother ok." Rhiannon nodded, "and remember to take that teddy for Oliver" the name stuck slightly in his throat but he knew the importance of not letting that show to Rhiannon, after all it wasn't the childs fault and he was Rhiannon's half brother.

"No Daddy" she hugged him tight. "Are you having a fun day with your friends?" she noted the table on the lawn full of drinks and snacks.

"New friends I hope" David smiled, "I'm meeting with some other leaders to see if we can become friends." David tried to explain, it was going to be many years until she inherited the throne but she had to start learning at some point.

"I'd give them sweets, at school if someone gives you sweets you like them." she shrugged and hurried off to the waiting car where she let Will Buckley strap her in before waving all the way down the drive out the Palace gate. The car nearly meet the first one coming the other way and instantly the ten Red Legionnaires waiting for the arrival. They must have been sweltering on the warm day but they didn't show it in their red tunics and silver helmets. They stood swords at attention as the Palace aides opened the car door and the King approached. "Welcome to East Moreland, its a pleasure to meet you" David extended a hand as he approached up the gravel drive to the spot just outside the Palace's entrance.

OOC- IF you've not replied just rock up, lets get the show on the road.

Offline Chocomoto

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »
"I can assure you sir, the pleasure is all mine." A man quickly responded, lifting himself out of the back of his vehicle and extending a palm to meet the King's. "Ryu Sung-Hoon, National Assembly Trade Representative for the Principality of Vesi." The man introduced himself. At a glance he appeared no younger than 30, his face clean cut and his suit perfectly fitted to his forum. Despite the air of professionalism his handshake and greeting were more than formal as he took genuine pleasure in meeting David. While he wouldn't admit it, he was expecting to meet an equivalent to his position and to find someone at a much, MUCH, higher position of authority unnerved and excited him quite a bit.

The man hesitated a bit before speaking again, his initial posture and attitude cracking for a moment as he did. "I must admit, I was not expecting to actually meet with your highness. I hope that does not offend, back in Vesi a meeting with the royal family is a rarer occasion but more often than not we tend to meet a representative selected by them in their stead. I suppose I should make note to the National Assembly to send someone of a higher status next time. Forgive me." Ryu spoke, his accent become much more noticeable the longer he did. Teeing off his sentence with a bow he was careful not to overstay his welcome and remain cordial.

"Then I suppose we're holding the meeting within the Palace itself?"

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
As the flattered Vesian Trade Representative greeted King David, following not too far behind was First Overseer to the Revered Speaker of Ahkabnil, Niltan Kiltlaka, essentially a premier advisor to the Revered Speaker and administrator of his cabinet. Niltan was old like his good friend Teudili, the Revered Speaker, except he neglected the need for a cane and stood tall for a man his age.

Niltan was spry and expressive; his venerable face, carved with deep bronze canyons, painted a somewhat cynical outlook he retained for the world, and his eyes sunk into an almost black tone of brown. He wore standard Ahkabnilian formal attire, contrary to their ambassador’s who wore more universal dress clothes, it was almost robe like with a myriad of colorful fabrics. A a thin head band sat wrapped around his forehead, keeping his long black hair in a uniformed yet free flowing posture.

Niltan specialized in such matters like this, he had traveled the world in his years, dealing with many forms of trade representatives. He knew numbers and economic arithmetic like the back of his hand, and was generally a great organizer, thus his assignment as aide and First Overseer. He also knew rough english, speaking it with a strong Ahkabnilian bias, he was never one to have the patience to learn a craft such as english with the respect it deserved. Niltan didn’t assume an air of superiority however because of his age or experience, he enjoyed the sight of Ryu Sung-Hoon, and King David especially, two young men, not the grumbling and plotting elders back in Chanal. It’s why he accepted the assignment from Teudili, it was a vacation within itself to get away from the hustle and bustle of urban politics.

“Greetings from Ahkabnil.” Niltan said, from a serene posture with a mild tone; his left arm to the side and right hand on his heart, he bowed his head slightly. “I am Niltan Kiltlaka, First Overseer to the Revered Speaker and economic advisor in the High Circle.”

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
David showed Ryu Sung-Hoon to a seat on the lawn, "I always like to meet the people who my nation are going to be friends for. Put it this way, I was always told us monarchs were supposed to be the parents of our nation, just as when my daughter gets older I want to know who her friends are and what their like, so I guess this is no different." He poured some herbal teas as he waited. "Beside my ministers do the day to day admin type work that keeps the country going, which means I get the fun big stuff like this." He turned as he heard the familiar crunch of a second car coming. "Excuse me a moment" he stood and made his way over to where the latest arrivals stood.

"and greetings from East Moreland" the King replied extending a hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you the King gestured for Niltan Kiltlaka to walk with him and pulled outa chair around the table pouring more of the teas. "I'm not sure if you know Ryu Sung-Hoon, he's joining us from the Principality of Vesi." David took his own seat. "He was just asking about the meeting, as its a nice day I thought we'd have it outside, unless of course there is any objection? Not many days here in Northfort we can get business done outside" 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:42:19 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Leonard was a little late, so he wasnt in the best mood, he looked terrible, but that had nothing to do with the fact he was late. Leonard made sure his tie was right and stepped out of the car, behind him the car with the Minister of Foreign affair in it arrived. Leonard walked towards the palace. He hadnt seen David in a while so he didnt hesitate to go when he heard Dave was coming to the meeting. He saw David standing in front of the palace and already said to "Hey Dave, long time no see" he said and waved his hand

When they finally could shake hands Leonard said: "Well it is nice to see you again friend, how are you doing?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
"Good to see you again" the King shook Leonards hand before showing him to a seat and introducing him to everyone else. "I believe that we've got everyone[1] we were expecting. So perhaps its a good time to get underway. The idea I had for MICA was simple, to try and create an economic and trade organisation that would help our economies flourish. I personally believe we do that in three ways, first by making it easier to trade with each other. This is achieved in my proposal by removing tariffs and making it easier for companies to invest. The second reason is by promoting education, by creating a well educated population those shiny new products we all like are more likely to get invented, so I believe allowing students greater opportunities to study is an important part of the economic growth. Finally science, this links to education, knowledge is power, or so they say, we live at a time where the advances in science come almost daily and as well as helping our economies grow it can help us learn more about the world around us. That is why my proposed charter includes sections on each, but that is it the document is only a proposal, its no good East Moreland saying this is what it is sign it or go, because I do not understand the needs or your nation as well as you, so what I'm asking for is this." The King produced copies on paper of the document and handed them out along with a red pen. "What needs changing?"
 1. If you've not arrived and wanted to be here just assume you have been here.

Offline Chocomoto

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Ryu gave a nod to the other attendees his mind temporarily elsewhere as he pondered the King's own thoughts on rule, more importantly the role of a King in a modern society. He was only jarred out of his temporary daydream as the King began to talk about the document, putting aside his thoughts for later recollection.

"Well, pardon since I don't believe Vesi fully intends to sign the document so forgive me if this is out of line," Ryu warned apologetically, offering his thoughts on the matter, "I believe a few specifics would be good for every nation that signs the document. On the education side, I agree almost entirely however when we get into tariffs and promoting economic growth we have a few minor things to consider." Ryu began, quickly taking a sip from the tea the King had offered him moments earlier.

"Our economies, are vastly different from one another and as a result our markets are as well. Removing tariffs across the board seems as though it might negatively hurt a few of our economies as balance of payments comes into effect. Say... One of us is running a very fine line from entering a deficit and tariffs are resulting in an export surplus because of domestic production the removal of said tariffs could result in an economic loss for the country at large. Some smaller Vesian companies would be unable to compete on a market between our nations with the removal of certain tariffs, particularly our food sector. Theoretically if we chose to sign, we'd have to redirect our efforts to make sure the eventual job loss to foreign imports can be subsidized as we retool them for different sectors." Ryu explained, hoping he wasn't coming across as rambling or worse: incoherent.

"That is not to say the benefits don't exist of course, I'm positive it'll result in an economic positive but the effects should come into effect at a specific time after signing so signatories have time to prepare and we all have a better timeline of when everything will go into effect."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:36:34 AM by Chocomoto »

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »
Shiina passed a glance at Ryu, impressed. "I agree that modifying tariffs between MICA members is a must, I'd much rather see EM or Vaguzia purchasing Himeyan goods than from somewhere in Albion and vise versa; and to give them a clear advantage in doing so only makes sense. But, Mr. Sung-Hoon is right, time to adjust is needed, other than that I have no objections to it."

"As for science, let's look at it this way, the Horn of Ardia and Alba Karinya are two decently developed parts of Mundus. Err... perhaps I can't say the same about the Illumic side of Cotf Aranye." She said, scanning the delegates around here. "No offense intended." she finished, appearing to quietly sneer at someone. "But I digress, with the amount of education and technology available to us, there is an incredible amount of potential in furthering our scientific research. I think... we just need to coordinate our efforts, something big for us to all accomplish together. There's no point in us competing with each other when we could be outshining the rest of Mundus instead."
something funny or offensive here

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
"Ahkabnil doesn't mind scientific cooperation." Niltan spoke up, with a clear agenda in mind, a free volition the Revered Speaker entrusted him with. "But it depends on the extent of that cooperation. Friendly competition never hurt, and it's competition that has driven most human progress throughout history. May I suggest, perhaps, combining our scientific and educational efforts. We each agree to standards and knowledge shared between our respective, what most of you may call a 'university?'... and enable a free student exchange program. Ahkabnil already has such an international program in place since we love foreigners, but MICA students in respective STEM fields would get first priority, and they would be treated upon the standards we agree with. As for the case in Ahkabnil, MICA STEM students wouldn't have to enroll in national public service or pay additional book fees."

Niltan paused for a moment, drinking whatever beverage was served. "Education is our top priority, providing it with quality accessibility with ensure that the future job market is secure. Times are changing." Niltan said with a heavy sigh, somewhat reflecting on his younger days. "Automation is growing more into fruition every day, and the only way our people may remain productive, competitive and so on, is if they get a proper education to do so. So depending on how deep everyone here is willing to go, i'm not entirely sure, then we can also add budgetary standards for education into the MICA agreement."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
David was relatively happy there were no major blocks anyone had thrown in the way. "It seems we're all broadly on the same page." he said pleased with how things were going. "I believe the University study section provides institutes with the flexibility required to ensure that they attract a good calibre of students, regardless of nationality. I believe its fair to allow each university to set its own entry requirements but agree that a comparative standard between our nations should be set so for example East Moreland grades students A* to F in three subjects at 18, those grades form the basis of their University entry application. For example Himeyama may have students study six subjects at that age, the depth of the Morelanders would clearly be deeper but a Himeyaman student would likely be more rounded. What would be needed is a system to equate that, so for example an A* in East Moreland becomes 10 points, while a A* in Himeyama becomes five, meaning both students can score 30 points and the University of Northfort may require 25 points for entry. Its a simple solution and should give a relatively even playing field." he hoped he'd explained clearly, after all he was no expert on the other nations educational systems.

"In terms of science we clearly wouldn't be giving our funding to companies such as OsmanTech, their big enough to look after themselves. What I had in mind was the fund supporting start ups and PhD type research. It is this that I think can be more multi-national, so for example linking a university here in East Moreland with one in Vaguzia to study something like....I don't know....stem cell research. That way we keep the element of competition and even add to it as with a bit of luck some of these start ups or University projects go on to rival OsmanTech, or failing that at least provide these corporations with a new batch of experienced researchers to help them better themselves and by proxy Mundus." He realised he'd gone on for some time and took a drink of his green tea.

"I suppose I should ask then is there any amendment, additions or still existing concerns anyone has?" The King looked around hopefully.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
Reichskanzler Gabriel Pomeroy, Kingdom of Balticum - During this entire time as his transnational colleagues were having a go at the proposed charter, he was simply sipping on his tee and nimbling on the cucumber sandwhiches offered, it was after all free and quite frankly starving like mad. It was only now after that his Nemerian colleague spoke up that he decided to do so too.

"Mmm, I must say these were terrificly made sandwhiches, and this green tea is top-notch, with that said your majesties, highnesses and excellencies...in regards to your brilliant suggestions regarding the different economic systems, as well as education systems, I'd see nothing in this charter that could conflict with Scandinavian interests. He also remembered to say something in addition to the charter's commendation, although it would probably backfire and not exactly work, but better to try than nothing at all. "No matter what we decide on after this meeting, might I also turn our attention to our Nemerian friends here; perhaps Prince Martin is right, why shouldn't the little principality receive some sort of special status? Economically speaking it isn't as large like the rest of us despite posessing the wealthiest citizens due to their societal structures...there's at least something MICA could do to cater special 'cases', isn't that right David?"

Finished with what he had to say, he slump back in his chair, waiting curiously for the response from the others. In that situation with a faint of a smile he reached a little paper note from his right-hand pocket and secretly handed it over to Prince Martin, in which it said "The wealthy Balts are blessed to have a safe haven waiting for them in Nemerie ;)"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:10:58 PM by The Young Pope »

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
“Nemerie’s special status doesn't pose much an issue for us.” Niltan spoke, secretly there was a bias toward the lucrative nature of the small city-state. He knew any other stance would be stepping on toes in Ahkabnil. “But as far as anything else, we are in full agreement to the current terms, as it was discussed extensively before I arrived.”

Niltan paused, listening and taking a sip of water. He smacked his old lips, how tired he was at this moment. “But yes, something can be surely worked with Nemerie, provided you can fulfill each of the terms equally."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:08:07 PM by Gadshack »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »

A Message To King David III Regarding MICA

Your Majesty,

Do forgive my late correspondence on this matter, however, I wished to offer my full support to the scope and aims set forth for the Mhorish and Illumic Co-operative Agency Conference. Upon completion of the Conference, if allowable, the Commonwealth of Somerset is keen to ratify and ascend to membership within the Mhorish and Illumic Cooperative Agency.

May we embark upon a path forward which sees Somerset working closely with her immediate neighbours in the Mhorish and Illumic region.

Always in friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Lord Protector of Somerset
Empress of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

guest17

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:20 AM »
The two representative comprising the Cojota delegation, Zumxa Cuj'zem Emtao[1] and Octa Cuezma Xe'lao[1] respectively, had remained quite for much of the conference.  The two were dressed in more universal attire for the occasion a simple suite and white dress shirt for Emtao while Xe'lao chose a gray pencil skirt and matching jacket. In addition Emtao had a red tie, while Xe'lao a red neck scarf a small means of showing respect for their Morlander hosts. Had it not been for their insistence on dressing more plainly as well as the distinct age gap, one might have mistaken the two Cojota for their Ahkabnil counterpart. Their common dark skin complexion, with dark eyes and jet black hair being something the three shared. Despite this it was clear the Cojota had mixed feelings about their Ahkbanil neighbor. Neither showing an overt sense of friendliness nor familiarity and yet seeming to occasionally glance at the Elder as if in admiration. Granted Xe'lao more so than Emtao

The two had listened to each of the delegations giver their propositions occasionally marking down notes, and read over the documents presented. All throughout Xe'lao  had hushedly translated the ongoings of the conference to her fellow. There were many things to consider and the two had discussed them quietly as they finished reviewing document. It was Xe'lao who would speak, her language studies made her well versed in Englishand thus it was only natural the two agreed she would be the one doing most of the talking, Emtao giving his input every now and then. Had allowed Prince Martin to finish before beginning herself.

“This document is noble at heart, yet there are a few issues that would drastically effect Cojota's ability to sign and enact this proposal as it currently stands. First allow me to give input on article two particularly in regards to tariffs. As many of you may be aware the economic situation of Cojota is...peculiar in terms of the broader spectrum of nations.” She had too chose her wording carefully least she damage the pride of Cojota. Yet even so she considered weather or not peculiar was an appropriate choice. It was no secret that Cojota was lacking in terms of its economic ability especially in comparison to its neighbors. It was a reality Cojota was ashamed of and yet, the countries pride of whatever reputation it may have, made this topic out to be rather sensitive. Especially when others, foreigners, made suggestions as to how to fix this problem.  For Emtao and Xe'lao their instruction was clear on this topic, they were not to jeopardize the homelands economic sovereignty. Thus this would lead Xe'lao to make the her point on this subject. Giving a small nod of appreciation  to their Vesian counterpart accompanied with a smile, Xe'lao continued.     

“As our Vesian counterpart brought to attention ,  tariffs are a vital part of this peculiarity specifically in terms of supporting our local business. As such forgoing tariffs all together could damage our domestic businesses and ultimately further our peculiarity. However that does not mean Cojota is opposed to foreign trade and their business. On the contrary international business is beneficial for all. As such I propose an alternative, instead of completely forgoing tariffs Cojota can make strides and efforts to lessen tariffs on MICA member-states? Perhaps, as our Vesian counterpart proposed, as a temporary measure until we can allow for our economic situation to adjust for a full transition to a tariff-free situation?”

As she finished she allowed that proposal to sink in with the other representatives. Taking the time to take a sip of water, and quietly translating her statements for Emtao who subsequently made notes as Xe'lao prepared to make her second proposal. Clearing her throat she began again, this time addressing the education articles. There was nothing major that concerned them, most of the propositions seemed to be in order however for the sake of Cojota's own situation regarding education, or perhaps the lack of, they wished to make a proposal. The two briefly reviewed it and then Xe'lao began again.

“In regards to article eight and by extension, education in general, why stop at simply students? Is the educated not as equally as important as their educators? My college and I therefore propose that the opportunity of international education exchange be extended to those who teach as well. Instructors, teachers, professors. Such educators would be granted the opportunity to teach in foreign nations granted equal pay as native educators however be responsible for their own means of housing.”

Once again Xe'lao took a sip of her water. This time it was Nemeria that was to be adressed. Xe'lao looked to the Nemerian delegation are rather delegate and  gave a small smile to the Prince although with the the notable absence of a nod.  To those observant enough it was clear that this time the smile was not one of a friendly manner or of respect. Instead behind the feigned gesture there was judgment. With no change her tone Xe'lao began again calmly.

“There is an elephant in the room so to say, that being the so called proposed Special Status His Highness Prince Martin has proposed...” she began “While at first glance willing to simply allow this supposed idea to transpire seems harmless there are certain issues I would like to bring to attention. Perhaps the most pressing  issue is the very idea of Special Status. Should we grant one nation special status then it can only be expected other nations may seek the very same status. While the principality may have specific factors to consider for the idea of special status, what could be said for another nation that does not match Nemeria's...situation? Could the very idea of special status not be abused?  We should take care and explore the idea of a Special Status further.”

Now it was time to move more specifically to Nemeria's request for special status, granted without singling out of the small principality too obviously. “I would like to make it clear before hand that Cojota by no means seeks to offend His Highness or His Country but instead seeks to explore the proposals made by His Highness as there is always the possibility a nation may have the same issues as Nemeria. In addition if we can figure out a way around these issues, even if only temporary then perhaps we can forgo the idea of special status all together. Let us take a look at article two, C first? If a business seeking to operate in a foreign nation cannot compete on the same level of the foreign nations domestic enterprises, for whatever reason that may be, then perhaps it's priorities are in the wrong place. After all a nation willing to make an exception on taxes for a foreign businesses would surely leave a bad impression on its domestic businesses and by extension its own people.

On to article six,  In terms of nations that are not able to initially finance the construction of embasies, surely there is something that can be worked out? After all the first step to cooperation is communication. How can one expect to cooperate if there is no means of communicating? What I propose; should a nation lack the ability, initially, to construct its own embassy then perhaps said nation could purchase an established building and utilize this purchase as its embassy. Should neither of those sound suitable, Then perhaps a host nation could construct an embassy for said nation, from which said nation can pay off the costs of construction in subsequent years?

And finally, with article eleven. The situation of the Principality brings up an interesting prospect. If a nation is incapable of financing such a venture then perhaps that nation  should be exempt from the financial obligation of the Science Board.  However as such the nation in question should be equally exempt from the benefits of the Science Board. Of course though, when this nation does acquire the ability to help in the finance of the Science Board all the benefits of such an organization should be shared with the nation.” 

As she finished Xe'lao once again gave a small smile to Prince Martin this time how ever there was the smallest hint of apology in the gesture. “Other than these issues there is no further objection from Cojota” Finished with her piece Xe'lao began to sip her glass of water translating for her colleague in between sips. Before too long her glass had become empty and she began to contemplate her  narrative and prepare herself for questions or counters to the Delegations proposals.     

OOC:

[1] Within Cojotan each person is given three or four names. One or two family names, a personal name, and a proper name. Family names are always placed first followed by a personal name and finally the Proper name. Personal names are never to be used with anyone other than family and close friends. Often an individual will let somone know when to use ther personal name over proper. This is often a great honor as it shows someone sees you as a true friend.  Proper names are always used as a sign of respect and should be used until informed other wise. Family names should be used in a more formal and official setting. In this case Mr. Zumxa and Mrs.Octa would be the names to use in this setting unless instructed otherwise.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 03:58:12 AM »
Niltan was impressed by the Cojotani delegation, they spoke more eloquently than most sitting at the table, even above the monarchs. Until now he had kept his statements short, as his only purpose was procuring the agreement as is through his own volition. This was also a vacation for him, away from the hustle and power politics of Chanal for a week. Yet, even on his days off he worked, as most Ahkabnilians stereotypically did most times.

He listened intently as Xe’lao spoke, making fast mental notes and jotting down particular statements that stood out to him in his handy notepad. He marked several bullet points, numbering each one to address in order.

“If Cojotan is asking for special status regarding tariffs then it's point against the special status of Nemerie seems to conflict.” Niltan addressed Xe’lao and Emtao. “In generality if Nemerie is given special status, other countries can expect the same treatment under circumstances they perceive as deserving of such special treatment. However this generality doesn't seem to be the reality of what we're dealing with in regards to Nemerie. It is a small, yet humble country wanting to embark on this organization yet they are practically incapable of doing so, with no voluntary fault of their own.”

“The agreement as it stands is adaptable by nearly any nation at this table, the elephant is Nemerie but given its circumstance, special status is wholly acceptable in the eyes of Ahkabnil. The question of when special status is appropriate has a simple answer: it is when a nation does not involuntarily meet any term in the original agreement. Otherwise, the MICA is a baseline in which we all agree on and can govern together.” Niltan shifted, only to adjust himself from where he sat, looking down at the messy notes in his notepad.

“Nemerie’s isolated case of special status works in regard to article six and eleven because it prevents other nations in MICA from taking advantage of generalized, proposed procedures to deal with cases. Tediously specifying articles in a case by case basis to compensate for such an isolated scenario such as Nemerie makes room for a precedent which doesn't exist across the standard MICA member base. It is necessary to formalize special status in regard to Nemerie, however an article amendment only seems to over complicate the issue.”

Niltan led out an audible sigh, it sounded more like a bit of life left him, though one could hardly tell if it was that or annoyance in his creaky age. “I do compliment Xe’lao’s and Emtao’s proposals to address article six and eleven, as I believe they do serve as proper ailments in regard to Nemerie directly.”

At that moment Niltan felt tired of speaking, making one more fast statement. “As far as the education proposal set forth by Cojotan, Ahkabnilbwould fully support such an initiative.”

Offline KaiserAdolf

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Indera Kayangan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »
Since her first arrival two hours ago, the representative from Kaiser Adolf was quite focused and glued on the content of the proposed MICA charter document until she realised that her surrounding had actually became a bit tense when the volume of each representatives around her kept on increasing or so she heard. Ma'am Sakura Tomoe or respectively Air Chief Marshal of the airforce to be precise which is equivalent to a General in the army, was one of the recently appointed member of the national Privy Council acting as Foreign Affairs Secretary. She was seen fit to manage the portfolio because of her past education experience in addition of her late father who once served as Foreign Affairs minister.

Considering this is her first major task, she didn't want to make any mistakes although discussion was not really her cup of tea. For her, her brawn was the strength that matters the most since she had mastered at least 11 martial arts including silat, judo, aikido and taekwondo. "Hopefully that will not be necessary in this matter...", she muttered slowly to herself. Earlier before when the representative from Himeya directly degraded the scientific advancement in Illumic region as a whole, Sakura who was also familiar with military scientific projects which were led by her friends in the army, was holding herself back as her face turned a bit red out of anger. She nearly blurted out, "Our K2 tank can show you just how far our scientists have succeeded in our technological research." Just when Haut-Prince of Nemerie ceased his explanation on his view, Sakura took her turn to speak, "It is just as what the Cojotan representative has said, the sudden removal of tariff will absolutely bring harm to local companies especially small companies. There must be some ways to sort this out."

She later turned her face slightly to the Nemerie delegate, "For the matters regarding the Nemerie 'special status', personally I believe that this is an interesting concept, the concept that can help a small nation like Nemerie but I won't deny the fact that if we actually grant that status to them, other members will assume that we are being biased. No doubt that in the future, there will be other nations that will ask to be granted the special status too." She tried her best not to sound barbaric or rude especially to the Nemerie royalty. Sakura simply remained silent as she took a neutral stance on the 'special status' discussion. "One thing that I like to point out is 12(e) where it is stated that weaponry research is not permitted under MICA Science Board. I don't think that prohibiting weaponry research which is led by the majority of Mhorish-Illumic nations for the sole purpose of defence would be a disadvantage to the region where it is rather the opposite. Science should not be limited to health or education or theoretical only, science in military itself can save our soldiers lives and even more important, our citizens. If we still want to prohibit weapon research, then one question still lingered in my mind is whether the non-weaponry-related research is actually non-weaponry-related? If we are doing a research regarding ions and particles, would the result could also be used in improving our weapons?"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:28:02 PM by KaiserAdolf »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
Princess Catrain Silverwood had spent the meeting sitting back and listening to the others, far better to listen and observe before opening your mouth since that reduced the likelihood of putting your foot firmly in it. She was likely the junior member of the meeting both in experience and age but that didn't seem like it would be much of a problem.

"The issue of special status is that it creates first a precedent that others may seek to exploit which runs the risk of opening the door to a two tier organisation where you have those who commit to everything and then those who don't. In granting special status if we choose to do so we must be mindful of how we prevent that from happening. Also be mindful of other factors we have to be wary of opening the door to a non Illumic or non Mhorish nation which such a status would create the mechanism to allow, this is a point that our esteemed friends from Cojotan have made, I don't need to remind people here that Rokkenjima frequently trumpets it's Illumic success's although these are regularly debunked by East Moreland, think very carefully before we risk creating the mechanism that can as our Cojotan friends suggest be abused.

In the case of Nemeria article 2(c) should not present any problem should it? All the Nemerian point means is that any Vafleon company that sets up shop in Nemeria does not pay tax. Note that it only applies within Nemeria, naturally of course any Nemerian company setting up shop in Vafleon would be taxed in accordance with Vafleon law, same for an East Moreland company, same for a Balticum company, same for a Kaiser Adolf company and so on. What's proposed is not taking away the rights of a nation to tax company's nor does it create a discriminatory system. So it should not be difficult to accommodate.

In regards to article 11 - I think if Nemeria wishes to not contribute to the funding then they should not get any benefits of the science board. It's simple enough and fair, if you don't put in you get nothing out. And while I'm on the point of the science board I will address the weapons research point made by the Kaiser Adolf delegate. I don't think research in the field of weapons development is a good idea because I think we should be striving for a world where we don't need weapons, saying clearly in the charter that MICA does not support weapons development makes it clear that this is a peaceful organisation and not a military alliance which is undoubtedly a conclusion that would otherwise be drawn. Side affects of development are of course always going to happen and if the side effect of one thing benefits a nations weapons project then so be it, there's very little that can be done to control that, it depends entirely what the aim of the research is.

Anyway to return to Nemeria's request and article 6, this is a common sense provision and it is entirely appropriate that MICA nations, and other non MICA nations, have the capability to station ambassadors in Nemeria to ensure diplomatic relations and be able to promptly address matters to Nemeria should they come up. So I will make an offer to the Haut-Prince right now, Vafleon is prepared to fund construction of an office building within Nemeria which will allow nations to have rooms to serve as embassies and I'm sure there are ways that Vafleon can get the money back over a period of time.

That said I think we're now at a point where we need a decision on this matter so I propose we vote on the matter of Nemeria's special status before this becomes a road block."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
"With respect sir." Catrain said icily bad enough the man was being patronizing by he was being unnecessarily pedantic as well "The first two things that are established in regards to tax law are firstly the rates of tax i.e. how much you pay and at what earning threshold you pay it. The second is under what circumstances you pay tax, this second point exists at the behest of companies because of the scenario you describe, and as a result it is the case that nations in their own legislation account for it and all do account for it in their own law because not doing so would see them in serious trouble as other nations would then levy punitive taxes on companies from that nation. It is a well established point of law that a company does not pay tax in a territory it is not based in.

With that in mind what article 2 c addresses is the physical presence of a company so let's take an example of Achkaerin's Riviere Corporation it has a base of operations in East Moreland's Technology City that branch pays tax to East Moreland at the East Moreland rate subject to any conditions in the technology city agreement. The tax is paid out of their profit. That is what 2 c is saying.

I'll restate my opinion on article 11, I will respect the collective decision of this meeting but I am fiercely opposed to any nation getting a benefit when they make no contribution.

Now your embassy situation I'm saying Vafleon is prepared to build a block and effectively rent interior space to other nations for embassy space as it were in short term to recoup the construction cost. The alternative is nations simply buying existing real estate for embassies in Nemeria. Now I don't mean to be rude but Nemerian ambassadors is not my concern and to be honest I'm fairly confident that an average Nemerian citizen could afford to rent a flat in Vafleon.

Now may we move to vote on the matter of Nemeria's special status?"

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Niltan listened, though the passive aggressiveness was beyond him. “In regard to the tariffs Kaiser Adolf and Cojotan have brought up.” he began. “I would like to re-iterate the contradiction in not supporting the special status of Nemerie while asking for your own, while feeding into the point driven that special status opens a precedent.” he didn't personally believe the wholesome intent behind keeping tariffs, he had a bias against Cojotan naturally, he had fought in the Battle of Tezcala as mere teen boy, though he tried to keep the past behind him, none of these young people had anything to do with that. The big stick Kaiser Adolf was seemingly waving around annoyed him, but he kept an even composure and steady voice.

“I believe the Cojotani delegation presented a proposal for how they can be allowed to deal with tariffs, but I think this should be applied across the board if they want to press it. I propose a, perhaps a five year period where tariffs can be gradually lowered by all parties in the Organization for a period of transition.” he proposed. Meanwhile, he seemingly lost all respect for the Nemerian who talked with pomp condescension in his tone toward Catrain. “Xe’lao and Princess Silverwood make respectable points, i agree on article 11 and i don’t know why 2c, a particularly normal practice in the pretense of this agreement, is an issue. As the Princess pointed out it is in regards to the physical presence of a company in a country.”

Niltan thought for a moment before speaking again. “Now, it is worth exploring if Nemerie can actually contribute to Article 11 in any way. If not, then they should not earn a place on the science board. However, they should not be excluded from it’s benefits. Nemerie is an extremely small country, our own capital is several times their size, this is simply incapacity to fulfill such terms. However..” Niltan paused. “If this is a refusal to comply with such terms, then it’s quite simple as not joining MICA at all.”
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:23:10 PM by Gadshack »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 11:48:59 PM »
OOC: TYP interpretation of Prince-Haut-Martin-response-to-Princess-Catrain*Based on posted transcripts, I couldn't just pass this opportunity LOL!

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
David had sat quietly listening to the discussion[1] and now felt it time to give the East Moreland perspective. "Might I propose the following idea." the King began, "Everyone with the exception of Nemeria seem to be in broad agreement to the charter. I would be more than happy with a gradual reducing of tariffs if that is more useful to others but may I put a condition on that. Simply that MICA nations will pay lower tariffs than non-MICA nations unless a trade treaty exists. So for example East Moreland may charge say Mountjoy a tariff of 5% on goods but wouldn't be able to level the same tariff against say Cojotan, instead they would pay 4.9%. However we have an existing trade agreement with Ui Cenneslaig so they currently enjoy tariff free trade despite not being members of MICA. This way we promote trade between each other while protecting the economies who feel they need that support."

The King looked down at his notes, "Furthermore the idea of an educators exchange is one I know we'd be open to, sharing good practice in any profession is a good idea."

The King now looked more serious, "As to the Nemerian request for special status I share the concerns of others, if we give one person special status others will perhaps request their own, if MICA is to work it is because of it giving the region common ground. I however would not wish to see Nemeria isolated, so what I suggest is the following, we conclude our charter granting no one special status. Once we have done that we appoint a representative to meet with whoever Nemeria choose to nominate and the two conclude a MICA and Nemeria agreement. This avoids anyone getting special status and actually gives us the flexibility to conclude agreements with other nations or organisations as a collective. So if for example piggy backing off their military base at QAMB Rokkenjima tried to join the organisation they can't push for special status because none exists, you either accept the treaty or you don't, however it sets the precedent of them being able to negotiate a deal where they have to bargain with around five to six different nations. Just a thought?" David put his pad back on the table.
 1. mainly because he wasn't online much  ;)

guest17

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 05:04:12 AM »
The Cojotani delegation had been listening and observing. There were times when Xe'lao had thought to express her ideas on the matter presented but Emtao had convinced her otherwise. It had become clear that their relationship was a mixed one. While Emtao was clearly the superior, both in age and in experience, as made clear with him giving Xe'lao advice and in some cases out right instruction on how to proceed, those who observed enough would notice he did so with an almost ambivalent approach.

Those who had the luxury, or care, to pay attention to the gossip about the Royal family of Cojotan may have picked up on Xe'lao's status as a Lady of the family. Such status she was both thankful for and at the same time despised. It was partly why she was so judgmental about the Nemeria Haut-Prince and although she had not revealed it. Xe'lao had instead constrained herself from further bias and leaking of personal opinion in her gestures, after Emtao had advised her about her mannerism towards Haut-Prince Martin albeit in a strongly worded manner.

Regardless when the Nemerian Prince made a drastic change to his demeanor managing to garner an array of disapproval from the other delegates, Xe'lao and Emtao had listened and waited. They, although moreso Emtao had not wished to create an escalation further of the already tense atmosphere.the words of Nitlan previously questioning the Hypocrisy of Cojotan’s disapproval of Nemeria’s Special Status would now come back to cause a sense of uneas for the two delegates.  As King David had finished his statements and proposals the two prepared to explain their position Xe’lao naturally being the one to speak.

“Well that was certainly… unexpected” she began, unsure how to address the departure of Haut-Prince Martin. “Nonetheless, my colleague and I am glad to see the progress we have made so far, despite minor problematic disruptions. However there is but one more issue that is rather specific we should warn you about. That being a rather specific issue pertaining to Cojotan, one of... differing perspectives.”

It wasn't until Emtao cleared his throat that Xe’lao got the hint that she was stalling. She had to approach it carefully, the subsequent information could, as the foreign expression went, make or break the Cojotani position. She began again.

“Cojotan finds itself in a rather peculiar position, not just in regards to this organization, but on an international scale in general. I'm sure most nations represented here follow a 'Market’ or ‘capitalistic’ system of economic policy and buissness. This is not the case in Cojotan. We practice a system of Syndicalism, or more specifically Unionism. To put a lengthy explanation of a complex subject short,
all businesses within Cojotan are nominally State-owned, the reality being that these businesses are owned and managed by those who work there. This in turn calls for the workers  to vote for their boss and supervisors.”

As she continued she became slightly fidgety. The vary nature of her status, as well as that of the Organization had made explaining the Cojotani system somewhat difficult. Afterall no matter how much she indirectly hinted at topic, it was clearly understood that she was explaining Socialism. Not a welfare-state, but true and infamous socialism.

“This should not be too problematic, but there is no denying that it is to some extent problematic. Due to this system our people have so pationatly installed, it would raise eyebrows if Cojotan were to allow a foreign businesses in its borders that does not follow this employee-owned model. However it is clear that our situation is no cause for other nations to change the very fundamental concept of financial activity. Yet it is equally the case for Cojotan. My colleague and I have formed a solution for this, as unusual as it may be. What we propose is that foreign businesses seeking to operate within Cojotan follow this employee owned model, even if only feigned. I bring this up only because the introduction of a radically different form of businesses could cause chaos our people to view it in a negative light.”

As Xe’lao finished she wondered whether or not her explanation was comprehensive enough. Moreso however, what the reaction of the other delegations would be. She exchanged a quick glance with Emtao seemed just as equally uneasy. Then the two waited preparing themselves for any questions or objections that might arise.

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
Shiina raised an eyebrow at the Cojotani delegates sat beside her as they raised the issue of their... "unique" societal custom. "As if those Nemerians weren't enough." she thought, closing her eyes, collecting her thoughts. "Be polite, be respectful. They're just bringing up an issue they want us to help address." she thought to herself over and over as Xe'lao slowly and carefully informed the leaders and representatives of Cojotan's predicament.

"Mrs. Octa, we appreciate you bringing up this issue. While I had hoped there wouldn't be anymore major issues needing to be addressed, I suppose it's only fair we discuss what you have brought before us." She scanned the copy of the charter laid out in front of her, sipping her tea. "Right, I think the most we could do is add to section 4 of the charter, encouraging businesses to maintain decent public relations with the nation they're based in; considering what Mrs. Octa brought up does not appear to be an actual law- and correct me if I'm wrong, but a mere prevailing social attitude. While I don't necessarily think any company in particular would set up in Cojotan just to upset locals, the most we can do is either encourage them not to because that's a bad idea."

She managed to prevent herself from bursting out laughing thinking about what a storm Haut-Prince Martin had caused by bringing up Nemeria's special status, she somehow contained herself when it was being discussed.
something funny or offensive here

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
Catrain sighed, they'd had this done, they'd managed to sort the Nemerie issue out and now Heyra wanted to make changes which to be honest raised more problems than they needed to.

"Point four's amendment is utterly pointless as it's common sense for any business and putting such a requirement in a treaty causes a few issues inadvertently, specifically around what happens if a company does not maintain good public relations - something which is entirely subjective and open to any number of interpretations, so I would scrap that particular amendment.

Point eight's amendment has an issue in that it's a "Point comparison system" now that's all well and good but it appears to rely on a graded system such as A, B, C etc. Vafleon doesn't work like that we have Educational Diploma's which you either pass or fail, this would seem to cause an issue within our system as we wouldn't know what to equate a diploma pass with. Point eleven is one I have no objection to.

Point three however may need a slight amendment could it not read A MICA Member may not charge a fellow MICA member's company any extra taxes in excess of those existing for non-MICA members within their jurisdiction after all local taxes have been satisfied by the company. This would allow MICA members to maintain their own legal sovereignty in the matter while also ensuring that fellow MICA members get a good deal."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:18 PM »
David rubbed the bridge of his nose, he thought they'd solved the University thing, "Its simple, we form a system similar to what the CNN has, let me explain." he took a deep breath.

"In East Moreland students at the age of 18 take exams in three subjects, a student scoring an A* scores 100 points, so the maximum a Morelander can score is 300 points. However in The Iwi students take six subjects but use the same grading system, as such in our system a Maori scoring an A* scores 50 points, they still score a maximum of 300 points. Now the Royal Merriman University sets for it's History programme, an excellent one I must say" the King smiled, his recent graduation with a Masters degree from that institute fresh in his mind, "sets a points score of 270 points, meanwhile the less academically reputable Silverhills University sets a score of 230 points. Any student earning those number of points, regardless of where in the CNN they are from is considered for their course. So we simply use a Points Comparison system, problem solved once we set the equivalents which is easily done based on number of subjects studied and hours of teaching given for each one."

The King hoped he'd made his point and waited for the others.

guest17

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 04:13:48 AM »
Xe'lao listened although now seemingly disinterested, slowly rotating her now vacant glass of water. She found that the smooth surface was calming, although not exactly why. Perhaps it was simply the perfection of the patterned texture? It didn't matter how many times she fullt rotated the glass the feeling never changed not even in the slightest. She wasn't sure how to describe it though that did not stop her from trying in her own mind. Her presence her was not one of her own choosing after all and besides Emtao was the one with more expertise in this diplomacy stuff. Anything her ears fell deaf too she could be sure he would not let go past his own. Still grasping the glass, the search for the answer never ending as the rotations continued to become more hasty and more vigorous,  Xe'lao had failed to realize just how hard and unnatural her fascination with the driknware had become prompting Emtao to give her a forceful flick of his fingers against her thigh.

How embarrassing!  The impact was enough to snap the young woman out of her unnatural trance but not enough to cause any real harm beyond a sharp but short burst of pain, if it could really be called that. Still the very thought that this man would lay his filthy fingers against her in such a way! It was absolutely revolting. Yet it had happened and there would be no consequence. No consequence, no change, no hope of what was to be what will again. Yes, that was her answer Xe'lao now realized.

A sigh, as the Cojotani delegate had now realized the futility of her personal predicament. The embarrassment and shame of her previous display now catching up to her. This was no longer her time, this was not her home, these people were not her equals, not anymore at least. No they were...above her. Superiors to her even, in a certain way at least. Still she couldn't help but  revel in seeing the Némérien  royal exit the congregation in such a childish yet charming manner. He had something she could never have, not anymore anyway. Another sigh. Had she truly let herself be the fool in her previous displays? Perhaps, was there any chance for redemption for the remaining duration of these talks, however that may be. Perhaps not, she could feel the others judging her even if they did not acknowledge it each of them had made there mind up about Xe'lao and while that may have been something she enjoyed before she now felt only shame in reveling it. Embarrassment once again overtook her.

The sound of grating paper against the ornate table used as the center of the talks disrupted Xe'lao's bout of self-pitty and thought and focused her attention once again on the task at hand. As she picked up the document slowly reading over it to ensure nothing was lost in translation she took a brief glance up noting the now discussing Hyeran and other Alba Karinya delagates. She hadn't noticed him previously. Her eyes then made there way over to her Himeyan counterparts. So, it would seem that the Cojotani would not be excluded to the tense and awkward atmosphere among old rivals sharing this discourse.     

As the Karinyan's finsihed there piece, Xe'lao translating for Emtao all the while receiving feedback from the senior official, lightly tossed the document on the table in front of her no longer having use for it. She relaxed back in her chair one leg folded over and her hands resting on her knee. It was now her turn to make what was a clearly becoming an exhausting challenge to each new proposal, more cumbersome. First however a possible solution to this issue of grading scales.

“Perhaps it is simply my and by extension Cojotan's lack of international  understanding, but would it not be simple to have students adapt to the grading scale of their desired country? It would be perhaps inconvenient for nations to adapt to an already established grading system. While there are benefits to the CNN system as you have suggested your majesty it neglects to take into account Vafleon's scoring system of pass or fail. Or perhaps I do not understand? When you say scoring an A do you mean to say that in East Moreland the grading system is based on a letter grade, so that A through D would be passing? Or simply that 300 points are required for passing? And If so how would this translate for a simple pass or fail
grading system?”

Part of her took personal interest in this subject and allowed her to express her own questions regarding the culture of schooling. Of course the other part was all buisness not wanting to allow Cojotan to conform to international commons when Cojotan had its own way of doing things. This would be something the other delegates would in time learn. For better or worse it would also cast a better image of Cojotan in general. Nontheless Xe'lao was not finished and after a moments pause began again.   

“If I might, there is also the problem of tarrifs. Once more I must express Cojotan's opposition to the elimination of tarrifs all together. Or initially, at least. As it stands Cojotan is not as privileged in terms of finance and economic ability as many other nations here today. We do not have strong corporate entities or heavily rooted nationwide businesses. Yes it is true that a variety of enterprises in Cojotan receive the benefit of heavy government backing however this is because the government owns them as I have briefly explained earlier. Furthermore, be this as it may, and speaking rather plainly our government is too heavily invested in the economy of our country on top of various social programmes, that this backing is quite ineffective. To put it simply tariffs are a vital part of our economic growth and government finances, to simply be rid of them even if it would be a show of good will, would have catastrophic consequences for us. It is for this reason I must bring up again the idea of a grace period so as to allow lower income countries such as my own time to prepare for the influx of  change an agreement as this would bring.”

She paused for a moment, allowing this to sink in with her counterparts. She found herself now speaking in a more reserved professional tone. It was strange, it was foreign to her. so this is how the businesses and political mind was?  She couldn't decide if she liked it or not. Before she could dwell on it long Emtao brought something to her attention something she saw no particular problem with yet her fellow was instant on having addressed. With a long glance at Emtao as if to see he would change his mind, she shifted her head conceding to the older mans wishes preparing to make the address. So it would seem the Cojotani would play the hypocrite today. This could only end well, then again the Cojotan had cared little for what the Internationale community thought of them or so they convinced themselves

“There is one more thing, an issue more-so. Visas, there are many individuals who would use this proposed Visa-free policy as a means to an end. Particularly on our side. As it stands the reality of Cojotan is not one general stability recent events in our nation can attest to that. To put it frankly Visas are essential for foreigners in Cojotan. Our country is plagued by organized crime that would not shy away from taking advantage of such extended periods of un-monitered time and the unprepared visitor. Furthermore people are people, and people have a great capacity for curiosity. While our country may be beautiful in its lack of development, there are quite simply areas that foreigners must not visit. For their safety and our own people's, allowing foreigners to simply wander around our country with no restrictions for nearly two months is simply something that cannot be accepted on our part.”

It was done now was the time to see how much damage this would cause not only to their Internationale reputation but to the patience of their hosts.                                         

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
"Of course the issue isn't closed" Catrain said "And I thank the Cojotan delegate for making the point, it is abundantly clear that a points comparison system only works when you have similar grading systems within countries, after all one could easily translated the O.W.L.S grading system of the Harry Potter series across to an A-F grading scale because they are systems that mirror each other. The Vafleon system is binary, you pass or you fail. The issue therefore becomes obvious there is no equivalent scale in Vafleon to the East Moreland system - how many points is that pass going to equate to? Are you going to say it equates to the equivalent of an A? Well that's unfair to other students if the Vafleon student has only just scraped a pass, equivalent to an E? That does a disservice to the most intelligent of Vafleon students who are the equals in intellect of the brightest of other nations.

So if I may make the following suggestion to resolve this from where I'm sitting, given that this is an apparent incompatibility between the Vafleon system and the others of nations represented here that when it comes to Vafleon students wishing to study abroad that the institution that they wish to study at present them with an entrance exam, this is not an additional hurdle for them as such an exam is one they would be expected to sit if wishing to attend a university at home, I sat mine only last year. To complete this it would also be the case that students from MICA nations wishing to study at a Vafleon university sit an entrance exam, thus ensuring parity across the board between Vafleon students and those of your nations. Obviously this proposal only applies when a Vafleon student or university is involved, anywhere else your points comparison system works fine."