Author Topic: Ostlake Military Games Spectators View  (Read 4008 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Ostlake Military Games Spectators View
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:01:28 PM »

BACKGROUND

Ostlake is a word that causes confusion for non-Morelanders, it is a lake, a city and a complex of four military bases connected by tunnels and waterways across the Lake. It is the central hub for the East Moreland military as the lake connects to the sea by the river Ost which is navigable by river even by aircraft carrier. Every year it hosts a kind of inter-military Olympic Games, known as the Ostlake Military Games, this sees teams drawn from the five East Moreland Army Legions (Royal, People, Duke, Pegasus & Hunter), the Air Force, the Navy, Cyber Legion and Red Legion. In recent years these teams have been joined by visiting teams, this year Neu Uburzis, Seaforth and Nya Aland join the games.

The Games sell tickets to all events and as well as the sporting events themselves the city hosts nightly entertainment in addition to the many bars, cafes and clubs that exist. The competitors stay at Ostlake South, the largest of the bases in a mixture of barrack blocks and tents, no spectators are permitted at Ostlake South unless invited by an officer from one of the competing forces.

It was for the Morelanders a familiar walk, the small cross lake Ferry station to Ostlake old market square, take the right back to the lakeside and into the Ostlake West barracks where the majority of the Games would take place. A large grandstand had been erected at the base at their rugby pitch which would later in the day host the Rugby 7's. The 12 teams began amassing themselves in what was usually the large car park and down the road, the competitors each arranged behind their units standard and then behind various regimental banners from within the Legions. Red Legion as always would lead the way being the oldest of the East Moreland units, the legion wasn't usually represented by serving members but rather those who had left within the last five years and where technically still liable to be called up, there were a handful of "desk pilots" too, Red Legionnaires who had been injured and told their front line days where done. Among them was Cpl. Paul Abrahams, first he'd damaged his throat on active duty in the Alps all but losing his voice, that hadn't stopped him serving a further three years until he lost his lower leg in the Eugenics War, now he was in an armourer and shooting instructor. He checked his famous Red jacket and removed a small feather that had drifted down in the wind.

"PARADE!" A loud voice filled the air as a tall flame haired Sergeant Major yelled. Instinctively thousands of ears listened for the next order, "PARADE 'SHUN" he yelled and with one loud sound that echoed off the hills everyone came to attention. He issued a series of instructions and in no time 12 squads of around 150 people each where formed up. "PARADE! BY THE RIGHT, QUICK....MARCH" The parade began to move off down the road passing the various crowds that had gathered to greet the teams, many spectators wore off duty items of regimental attire showing their support for their mates competing. The Combined Forces band played a variety of marching tunes as they wound their way through the city streets and past the market square. There in the centre was a giant statue of Jekar, each unit gave an eyes right as they passed and one representative from each Morelander unit smartly placed a wreath in their units colours at its feet. As the gates of the base came into view some of the crowds where left behind as only those with tickets and invites could pass beyond this point.

Once on the base they filed into the Rugby arena and formed up. In the VIP box the King would normally have accepted the general salute but he was with Pegasus Legion as he was representing them in the Legionnaire Legacy events, that would mean Princess Freya would fill in, but she was two ranks behind her big brother. That would leave Archduchess Sophie to represent them, but in the second to last Morelander unit the Air Force Pilot Officer was marching with her new friends. That then meant Prime Minister Henrietta Quinn was left to accompany Princess Rhiannon who accepted the salute with well rehearsed slow bow which once completed turned into a wave as she spotted her father.

Various other VIP's from across Mundus had arrived to watch the games which were a major event in the East Moreland calender and as soon as the parade was over and the games declared open people began to mingle. Morelanders looked for old friends among the Alanders and Seaforthians as the team from Neu Uburzis gained their bearings. Some of the competitors with no events that day made their way towards the nearest beer tent while others headed back into town. King David made his way to his daughter as he planned on taking her to watch the football, a sport not massively popular in East Moreland but one she seemed to have some interest in at least. Within the hour the rugby arena was full of fans as the first game got underway.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
Re: Ostlake Military Games Spectators View
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
The Uburzian official Crew had arrived the evening before. Three Super massive Airships each 240 Meters long had descended onto the Ostlake Compound, the First ship on ground hosting the Athletes and a support crew, helping out the subsequent two ships to built up camp.
It seemed as if the Ships themselves where being used as flying hostels, while convenience was set up outside.

The next morning the Legions where greeting to a bunch of cadets being yelled at, running over an impromptu obstacle curse, and the smell of waffles to the side. Apparently three schools had been sending one class each, aside from Orions class the other two had been competing for the right to travel here, resulting in Orions class being chewed out especially hard by their teachers, several ending up puking after morning sport.
All to the amusement of the Athletes themselves.

-------------------------

The athletes in the Parade enjoyed the cheer, marching along the other competitors. The Cadets had scuffled into smaller groups, mostly staying in their School groups. Only a good observer would have noticed Orion right away, his short height conveniently hiding him away along with the uniforms. The one thing giving him away where two bright purple epaulets with a golden wreath, while his mates all had blanks.

The Cadets where shuffling to the Rugby stadium, while the Athletes off Duty where mingling with the other Athletes, or went to their own Mead Tent. Though all for them admitted that the Barbecue display by another Nation was out of this world.

As the fuzz settled around the Vip Box, Orion made his approach, taking a deep breath, he nodded to his class mates, signed his Teacher and went to try and greet the Princess before her Father would Pick her up, signaling his classmates to make their way to the Rugby Match ahead.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
David recognised the young Emperor and gave him a friendly wave as he approached, he had just enough time to whisper to Rhiannon who Orion was before the Emperor arrived. "I saw your airships arrival, I'm thrilled you took me up on the offer. I hope your Cadets enjoy the spectacle.....just not too much." David smiled. "We're off to watch some football aren't we?" he turned to his daughter who just nodded. "They've been playing a bit of football recently at her school, it's not a sport we're really that good at here.....yet" he added.

"I play goalie keeper cos I'm fast like a cat" she playfully pounced on an imaginary mouse before taking hold of her father's hand. "But I really prefer sword fighting" she waved a hand around in front of her as though fending off an imaginary foe.

"OK stop showing off" David instructed her and she feel into step beside her father before beginning to skip along with them. "So how are you finding juggling school and being an Emperor?" David asked.

Across the lake teams were beginning to get squared away in a mixture of the bases barracks and large tents that formed what was essentially a tented village. Sophie had just arrived along with her Air Force friends who were also competing, she had with her Bandit, the snow white husky with black face markings. He padded along beside them as they carried their gear into a big marquee marked "AIR FORCE" Sophie found herself one of the many cot beds, it was a far cry away from the Athletes villages at the various games she'd been to. There was however a similar atmosphere, one of people intending to enjoy their time but also utterly focused on their events. Her gear locked away in a metal underbed container she looped Bandits lead around her hand and made her way out into the base to take part in the social events. A band was playing away on a stage while some people drank a few beers, those competing the next day or two non-alcholic drinks. Sophie and her new friend Lacey found a patch towards the back of the arena where the music was being played and sat down on the grass, Bandit resting his head on Sophie's lap as he began to snooze.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »
Orion bowed slightly to Rhiannon: "Pleasure to meet you in Person, Princess." as he turned to David: "I am sorry, i didn't want to keep you from activities with your Daughter. I just feel like it would have been very impolite if i hadn't made my way over." Glancing to his classmates walking off, he let out a long sigh as David asked him about school:
"It's. Hard. Juggling self defense, politics, Etiquette and that on Top of the normal classes. Then come the official Hand shaking events. Albrecht makes sure i get enough time off, but it still feels like i am less busy when i am in school then when i am at the palace. At least now that my classmates actually know who i really am i made some proper friends. Reminds me, the first time i saw you i served you cake." Orion blushed a little, before turning back to Rhiannon: "I do envy you. i was always one of the shortest in class, so i don't get to be a goalkeeper. And sword fighting? I only get combat defense training with knifes. Lucky you"
Orion then bowed slightly again to Rhiannon, before holding his hand to David: "I have to go catch my classmates for the Rugby match. Maybe we see us this evening? I have something for your Court Artist stashed away in the Airship, so if you don't mind i'll bring that over later."

The Rugby match had been a blast for the cadets. Not only did they get to watch their team, but their team won twice. While the other two academies where snobing the Cadets from Orions class a little, since all they did to come to the games was being in class with the emperor, it was still a great watch. Unlike the other Cadets, Orion's class did not get complete off Time from Studying for the day, having class after the rugby matches in one of the tents. It caused some laughs from the athletes, but most of them took it with dignity.

The athletes themselves celebrated by carrying heaps of Beef over to The Seaforthian Camp. "No point in Partying alone" was their Motto for the day.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:21:08 PM »

General Joshua Rhodes, Duke of Somerset, was enjoying himself. Not only was the Kingdom of Seaforth putting up some respectable performances, but the BBQ was a hit yet again. This evening Joshua found himself donning Chef's whites and taking a turn in the kitchen again. While the senior enlisted wouldn't trust him with the meat, they grudgingly let him prepare a side dish tonight. His responsibility for the night? A corn dish with bacon and green onions. It was simple enough. You steam the corn and throw it in a skillet with chunks of cooked bacon and chopped green onions. Not exactly rocket science, but he wasn't about to complain. Not after finally being promoted up from dishwasher.

Joshua smiled as he saw the Uburzian athletes make their way into the camp. He watched for a moment as they carried yet more beef over to the pits. Laughing to himself he rang a bell to signal his dish was ready. A Seaforth midshipman grabbed the bowl and headed to the serving area as Joshua wiped down his area and started again.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »
It had become somewhat of a tradition at the games that Seaforth set up a BBQ and Freya provided a few bits and pieces, this year she had roped her husband Alex in to and Evie their hopefully soon to be adopted daughter was also in tow. As the Princess made her way over to the BBQ she noticed they'd obviously put Joshua to work and so made a line for him. "We figured a good BBQ can never have too much meat so we've brought up a couple of venison and a trio of Wild Boer, all part of Red Legion target practice" she handed over a small box to Joshua, it contained a selection of different spirits each just enough for a decent drink. "Thought a welcome back would be needed"

"Freya" Evie asked as she looked around, "Can I have a burger" she looked around at the food being enjoyed.

"You only ate an hour ago, we got you that bag of pop corn." Alex reminded the Mavrosian girl he had rescued from the Mhorish Sea two years ago and whom had for all intents and purposes become his daughter. It was useful that she was Rhiannon's best friend too as it often meant the two could just be left to play in the Palace while Alex and Freya dealt with their days work.

"I know but it smells good" she strained to look over the top of the serving area to see what was being cooked.

"Look" Alex leaned down to her level, "You've school sports day in a week, you don't want to get fat and not be able to run do you.....it'd be like a little pig" he mimiced oinking which made Evie laugh.

"But I am hungry" she protested once more.

"OK." Alex relented as often he did, "It's good to see you again General" Alex said to Joshua, "Thankfully not in a lift shaft this time. I'll catch you later." and with that he headed off to get her some food leaving Freya alone with Joshua.

"We having our usual bet I assume, Ostlake Challenge, highest place gets a bottle of whiskey from the other and a donation to a charity of their choosing, say 10k?" Freya asked.

David bid farewell to Orion before taking Rhiannon off for the football she got quiet into it and didn't want to leave when her father told her it was getting late. She had got herself a pair of giant foam fingers emblazened with Pegasus Legion, after all there was no way her father was going to let her support any other team. She was wearing them like goalkeeping gloves and blocking imaginary shots. "Do you think I can wear these for the school game?" Rhiannon asked as she stood facing her father her hands out as though ready for action. David burst out laughing.

"No sweetheart" David said with a shake of his head, "I think they'll be far too big...beside you can't throw in them." he added.

"I could learn" she was skipping along next to him again, it was as though she'd lost the ability to simply walk and just skipped everywhere she went these days. David had no idea where she got all her energy from. They headed down to the quayside where a boat was waiting to take them and some of the other VIP's over the opposite side of the Lake where rooms had been made avaliable in the officers mess.

"Hello Rhiannon" Jocelin Hopkins was sat on one of the side facing seats at the back of the lake steamer. She had been working on a portrait of the Princess and got on well with her, she'd even helped with some of her art homework from school. "Your hands have grown" she jested seeing the foam hands.

"Daddy won't let me wear them for football, I'd never let a goal in with these" she once more demonstrated her best goal keeping stance. Meanwhile Jocelin bowed to the King who took up a seat opposite. Rhiannon sat next the the Court Artist telling her all about the things they'd seen that day. "And some boy called Orion said he had something for you.."

"Rhiannon" David interupted, "I think Emperor Orion wanted that to be a surprise" the King reminded his daughter of exactly who the "boy" was and not to give away secrets. "He said he will be over tonight." David added

The voyage over the lake took only 15 minutes and as the sunset was rather picturesque. The gathering of VIP's that often took place in an evening was already underway with visiting senior officers and other important folk enjoying a glass or two of wine sat on the messes patio or lawn. The King navigated his way through a series of encounters making the excuse that it was past Rhiannon's bed time. Jocelin found herself a table and sat down having grabbed a bottle of red from the bar, she unfolded her satchel and took out some pastels and began sketching the sunset with a nice glass.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:15 AM »
Orion switched into a clean uniform and made himself presentable. His PE Teacher came along though he wasn't very pleased his Student carried a painting frame along for  the Ride:
"I wish you would be as enthusiastic for my lessons as you are in Art class" the Man remarked, his Epaulets showing an Owl and two stripes as he growled slightly: "Seriously, don't take it personally, but usually i have better things to do with an evening than being a students watchdog, even if you are the Emperor."
"And i wish i wasn't kidnapped last year so these kind of setups wouldn't be necessary." Orion said, watching the scenery from the lake.
"Trust me lad, it would be the same, you are just thirteen." The teacher sighed, watching over: "Better make on a good face for being just a PE teacher in a Lions Den, with a Cub at my Side."
Orion just didn't answer, extra laps in the morning wasn't one thing he was very keen on.

--------------------------------------

After arriving, Orion was a bit of jealous for his Classmates over the the Seaforth Barbecue. He knew his School had brought some of the best Beef Cuts Money can buy, A5 Wowgyu, and he wans't getting any. Even as an Emperor he didn't get that every day, and having some of the Seaforthian Pit Masters get their hands on that would be a treat he was very sad to miss.
He did get some Odd looks, and gladly for him most people thought him probably an errand boy with a huge Package heading over to the Royal Artist:
"Miss Jocelyn." Orion made himself heard as he stood behind her, not interrupting her view:
"I admit, i made it partially in Art class at school, but... i hope you still like it. You think anyone here will be mad if i didn't bring some gifts for your King?"
As Orion slowly took the wrapping off his Teacher shrugged: "It's a soldiers event, even for Morelanders the King is only playing a sideline role today." Before he looked out to see if anyone was more his level of status to talk too.
Orion focused back on Jocelyn, before he finally pulled the wrapping of. Revealing a Picture of Jocelyn standing next to him on the Throne, chatting him up while he was dressed as a Server. A bit of an Artistically Recreation of him showing off to Jocelyn who he was.
"I Admit i used some reference online pictures of you, Miss Jocelyn. But i feel seeing as you are an Artist and i am more of an Aspiring Hobby Artist it was an Important moment." He shyly looked away as people started to turn and stare at the scene:
"It started off as an Art Class where the Topic was First meeting, so.... i thought it would be a great opportunity."

The painting wasn't perfect, some parts where to thin, others to thick, but for a thirteen year old it was an impressive oil painting. Not a Da Vinci level Genius painting, but a Live sized heavy effort with carefull crafted imagery. It was framed with a painted Acryl frame, to which Orion added:
"A Wood frame was to heavy to carry on the Airships, you do have to think about weight with them after all."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Jocelin recognised Orion as he approached and she stood and gave a bow as he approached, "Your Imperial Majesty, lovely to see you again." she smiled and offered him a seat. "I was just enjoying a quiet evening with the mountains" she spun the pad showing him the skyline she was doodling away at. "The Games get a little crazy during the day and its nice to have a little retreat. When Orion presented his gift a broad smile came across her face, "I never expected to be in a royal portrait" she said as she looked at it. "I'll get it hung at my gallery when the games are over, the first of many works by Emperor Orion" she held it up proudly. "You should be pleased with it, to do a full portrait of two people is no small task. Thank you" she smiled.

"As for gifts for King David I wouldn't worry. He'll be too busy hanging out with his former Alpine Cadre friends and trying to get himself ready for the Legionnaire Legacy rowing race on the final day. You want to get in his good graces, make a donation to that charity. It supports the wounded men and women of our military, essentially rebuilds them using sport. It was set up by Princess Freya and her brother is now its biggest patron having been on its receiving end. " She looked around as he seemed to be looking for someone in particular. "If your after networking then I can suggest two people, the old guy in the waistcoat drinking neat whisky at the bar is Brigadier Kelly he runs Red Legion which in the view of many means he runs our military." she pointed out the man who caught her gaze and raised a glass in greeting, Jocelin waved back. "He was a junior officer when my grand-father retired from the military" she explained, used to come and have feast days with us when he was away from his family." She looked about the bar area which seemed to be the most crowded, she'd lost sight of the other individual and then caught them again as they reappeared at the door to the outside a mobile phone to their ear. "That's Melissa Lusk used to be our nations youngest councillor and so the former Youth Minister, she was a kind of protege of Tim Carpenter and when he got the CTO job he made her head of the Refugee Council, she's just got back from Lakhzovia a few days ago." Jocelin explained, "Both useful people to know." She addd. "Thank you again for the gift, its very thoughful"

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »

Joshua Smiled as he saw the trio make their way over. As he was about thank them for the donation of game, he was deftly cut off by a quartet of various senior enlisted.

"We'll be taking that, sir. Maybe next year we will let you roast a rabbit....or perhaps not."

The other enlisted laughed heartily as they took the cuts of meat into the back as thier leader turned to Freya and snapped off a precise salute.

"Please pass on our thanks to the Legion, Major."

Joshua accepted the box as he and Freya were left alone and poured them each a drink. Raising his glass to Freya he drained it.

"Ah! Much needed, thank you. I accept your wager. I am perhaps a bit out of practice, but the troops have been working me pretty decently to correct that, so I think I will put up a respectable challenge for you. Of course, based on last time we did this...we are both well aware that anything can happen out there, eh?"

Joshua laughed at the memory and continueed..."I was hoping you would stop by. I have a belated wedding gift for you."

Ducking under the countertop, Joshua came up with a well aged wooden box. Turning it towards Freya, she opened it to find a bottle of Rhodesian Distillery Special Reserve.

"Aged 50 years and then bottled in 1918. It's tradition to keep the bottle until your anniversary matches the aging. So in 50 years, you and Alex crack it open and remember. Remember the family and friends that wished you well and the good life you two led."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
"Carpenter?" Orion raised an eyebrow:
"No offence to her, but personally i think i better say hello to the Man behind the Red Legion, not that i think that him and Albrecht would get along very well these days... but a Protege of Carpenter might just spell Trouble"
Orion straightened up his uniform, brushed his Epaulettes, taking a moment to recollect: "Wish me Luck."

He then walked over to Brigardier Kelly, saluting him shortly:
"Orion the First, Emperor of Neu Uburzis, Cadet at Neu Uburzis City Military Academy. Honor to meet you, Sir."

His PE Teacher just walked on Behind, and Saluted without a word.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
"For Helus sake" Brigadier Kelly muttered straightening himself up from the bar. He may be approaching the age of 75 but he still stood tall and straight as the boy introduced himself. He wasn't too familiar with saluting as it wasn't often he recieved them at Aldcliffe Barracks the almost mythical home of Red Legion. He had been enjoying a drink at the bar musing over the poor performance of his unit once more. Every year it was the same Red Legion came last, they had the smallest number of soldiers to select from and more often than not they were on active duty somewhere. He relied mainly on old retired veterans and the support staff to make up the female team as in the modern era they'd been no female Red Legionnaires pass the selection test. It was so strict and unwavering not even Princess Freya passed it. He then spotted the PE Teacher, "Bloody hell its a party not a parade. What are you anyway?" he asked examining the unfamiliar uniform. Upon being informed that the man was a PE Teacher at a military academy the Brigadier shook his head "Is it true those that can't do something teach it and that those that can't teach go and teach PE?" he asked before turning his attention to Orion.

"Now son" he said swirling the last of his whiskey around the glass. "Few rules to remember, first you're a bloody Emperor you don't salute Brigadiers. Second you don't call us Sir. Third thing it's a party which means we don't both with that bullshit. Hell I don't even bother with it back at barracks. I guess from the shiny uniform your playing at the military, now I'll give you then number one tip, drill is of zero use in the real world so why bother?" He let the question hang in the air for an awkward amount of time before draining his drink. "Forth thing, your an Emperor which means the next rounds on you." He turned to the barmen and ordered an " Old Fashioned. The young Emperor here will have it added to his mess bill and he'll have a Virgin Olde Fashioned." The barman sprang to action mixing first the Brigadiers drink and then making the exact same one for Orion but substituting the whiskey for strong brewed barley tea. The two glasses where handed over and Kelly handed the non-alcholic one to the Emperor. "So this honor to meet me." he smiled, "Why the big deal? After all I push a pen around a desk. I assume you wanted a chat about something?"

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »
Orion's Teacher audible grunted, but stayed at a respectable distance: "It's not like i came here to party. I'm on Duty." he hissed slightly, but eyed the surroundings.

Orion the waved off: "Nah, he is just always on edge. Probably cause he's one of the Academies Mothers Geese."  Orion then shrugged: "I am here with my Class, so my people expect me to be in the Uniform. At least we think they do, we are still trying to figure things out, me and Albrecht."

Orion let the Brigadier talk, before accepting the drink, his PE Teacher audible snorting a laughter when Orion got a Virgin Cocktail, much to the young Emperors annoyance, though he tried to stay on Topic:

"Well a friend of mine had mentioned you, and i feel like a military man is someone i at least know how to talk to. Well, you already made clear i was in the wrong there."

Orion scrambled in his mind, Albrecht gave him a clear don't talk about it list, and now that he thought about properly, a lot of it where things you would probably small talk with that man about:

"I mean you essentially have the say in the Red Legion, so i am admittedly surprised you are not the the type who desires being saluted to around the clock. The military high ups and desire to be high ups i usually meet are very keen on it. If not from me."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
Kelly had to smile at the young boys niavity it was very much like a new recruit in the East Moreland legions. "You're a new Emperor right and that means your a commander. Let me ask you this very simple question young Emperor. Would you prefer to be surrounded by men who give the perfect salute, have perfect creases in their trousers and shiny shiny belt buckles. Or would you prefer to have a soldier whose rifle doesn't have a speck of dirt on it and could shoot the eye out of a snake from a half mile? You see time is a finite resource. Now I'm not saying saluting and marching up and down doesn't have a place, but that place is in learning to be a soldier. The guys I have aren't learning to be soldiers, they are the best warriors Mundus has to offer. When they wake up in the morning the Underlords[1] tremble with fear, they focus on their skills and I focus on creating an atmosphere that allows them to focus on their skills. Knowing how to salute has never won a firefight." The Brigadier realised he'd got a little carried away but a few drinks had helped him. "You see that lady over there?" He pointed to Rebecca Jarrett, a Sergeant in the 2nd Light Scouts and Princess Freya's Chief of Household, "She got her job as Freyas right hand woman because when she turned up to interview her military uniform was stained and threadbare because we'd failed her as a veteran. But her sword and sidearm where perfectly clean, what does that tell you about someone......that they take care of what needs to be done not what is seen to be done. You want my best piece of advice for being a commander? Don't judge a man by his salutes, judge him by his sidearm." Kelly had noticed Jarrett had glanced his way probably having heard her name and Kelly raised a glass in greeting.  "I guess though your teachers don't tell you things like this. You should get your class to go to the Ostlake Academy on a day Redfern's lecturing there. Your PE teachers may learn something."

Over at the Seaforthian BBQ Freya and Alex accepted the gift with a smile, "Well make sure you come round to drink it with us" she said as she gave Joshua a hug.

"So now they've let you above ground again and you've manouvered yourself away from the throne what you got planned?" Alex asked as he opened one of the beers he'd been carrying with his teeth and offered it to Joshua before opening one from Freya.

"Gods" Freya shook her head in disappointment, "He marries into the royal family and he still acts a bloody savage. When you break your teeth don't come crying to me and I can tell you now I'm not being married to some gap toothed weirdo." she added for good measure.

"Your wife give you this much hassle?" Alex asked as her took a sip of his own freshly opened beer.
 1. Equivalent of the Devil in the Cult of Helus

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
"in their defense, we do more practical training. Like aiding the crew of an airship on mission. And it's just as you said, marching and saluting is about learning to be a soldier, which we cadets do. Well aside from the usual school." Orion then smiled as Kelly made another jab towards his teacher, he seemed a little sad:" hopes I do learn a bit about not letting charge to their death as their commander. "

The pe teacher noticed the shift in tone, nudging orion:" don't you think it is a good time to make your way back?"