Author Topic: In the Cause of Hope and Peace continued  (Read 2647 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
In the Cause of Hope and Peace continued
« on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:10 AM »
OOC - good news is that this Utman Spinoff wasn't that far along before we lost it.

Peter stood in his study, his daughter Serenity sat on the sofa, despite all their preparation and all their research they knew the stakes were being raised by the minute. So much so that Peter had ordered what was known as an 'Orange Flag' in short the immediate readiness of Achkaerinese Forces to move should the situation spiral out of control. Knowing Kadassa's request helped them a little. But it did something else that didn't sit right with either of them, but they'd deal with that in time. For now though the door opened and in stepped first Kury Ayanami the head of the Royal Household followed by the Empress of Rokkenjima herself Evanthe.

"What about...?" Peter asked
"Lydia's in the gardens now the helicopters due in two minutes." Kurt said
"Thank you Kurt." Peter said, Kurt nodded and left, Peter turned to Evanthe two minutes until the helicopter landed probably meant about three or four minutes until everyone necessary was assembled, things were moving faster than either of them would like but he knew what he might have to do and he wasn't overly worried about it. It wasn't the best of circumstances for such a meeting either, with recent events one could have been forgiven for anticipating a celebratory feel to the occasion but that wasn't to be.

"Come and sit." Peter said "We've got two minutes before we need to start briefing so what are your thoughts?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: In the Cause of Hope and Peace continued
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »
A visit to the Marble Palace was always in Evanthe's plans, though perhaps not under these circumstances. Certainly the stakes were high, not only for the Utman and Lakhzovia directly, but towards broader stability in Cotf Aranye and abroad. She couldn't help but to think of those things which Beatrice could have done which may have yielded a different outcome but to think of such "what ifs" always returned her to the question of why those actions had not taken place. Why had she granted Kadassa the latitude which allowed conditions within Lakhzovia to fester to this point?

After an enjoyable ride to the Palace Evanthe prepared her notes for the meeting. Their discussions would be determined as the developments came in, and to this point it didn't give them much to look forward to. While it was a risk to challenge Lakhzovia's dedication to the Pyrettania-Nakim Accord it was one which had to be made; at times, the application of pressure could prove a most valuable tool. She had made clear that Rokkenjima's patience was not infinite, however, she had left the door open for Kadassa to redeem himself and engage towards a solution before conditions spiraled any further.

A year ago, not even, she couldn't imagine the tension which would hang in a room with representatives from Rokkenjima and Achkaerin. It was as much a testament to the strength of their alliance as it was to the skill and efforts of Count Emerson, with whom she had designs in mind upon concluding business at the Palace.

"My thoughts," Eva said as she sat, "We've few options, and even fewer palatable options. We can both see just how easily things can easily deteriorate and, to be honest, I've little reason to trust Kadassa. I don't believe Beatrice fully considered conditions in Lakhzovia when she signed the Accord, though I'm hoping it can still provide some leverage as we try to find a solution. In any case we'll have to be determined and careful, though I know you already knew that."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:25:25 AM »
Peter nodded, it was true they had no reason to trust Kadassa and they hadn't for a while but there were so many variables in play that Peter was treading a finer and finer line with each passing development, now the door opened again this time it was Lydia bringing with her the surprise guest none other than Beatrice Anselmo herself. Peter had had his own misgivings about this, because Kadassa's request made little sense but it provided an opportunity, there was a somewhat edgy and almost eerie silence as Beatrice took her seat.
"Lydia." Peter said "Ask her to join us."
"Sure." Lydia said

A minute or so later the final member of the group joined them
"I believe you are both familiar with my new Foreign Affairs Advisor?" Peter asked "Have you got everything Nettie?", to say the looks on the Anselmo faces were surprised was putting it mildly as they set their gazes on Nettie Taylor
"Yes I have Peter." Nettie said she proceeded to hand out copies of the papers to both Beatrice and Evanthe "This is what we propose to do about the Lakhzovia situation." the documents consisted of the various permutations of the situation and what the Achkaerinese response in certain situations would be.

"A few hours ago I ordered what's known as an Orange flag." Peter said "That basically puts the Achkaerinese military on high alert ready to intervene, fortunately with the embassy situation we already have some assets in the area, it means pulling some of our patrols but we'll get there. As part of this I need your consent Evanthe to position assets at Tiannaman in support and I'll be opening lines of communication with Arstotzka to obtain cooperation as well since they have a border with Lakhzovia while also talking to the Iwi to work out the Utman side of the equation. We're putting this in place to try to deter a war from starting. I don't know if we can prevent this war but we're going to try everything we can to do so and give peace a chance, the best chance to succeed."

"Part of this is that Kadassa has agreed to talk provided you're involved Beatrice." Serenity said "We don't know why but it buys us more days without bombs falling, so we're happy for you to talk to Kadassa but if you do there are no deals, no promises just get him to the table, we've already got the Utman there and then we can talk this out."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »
While it was true that the air which existed between them wasn't the best as of late Evanthe was, in some ways, glad to see Beatrice again. It had been the first time in a while for both of them, having enjoyed what could only be described as a sister-like bond before the difficulties which piled themselves upon Beatrice. Seeing Nettie came as more of a surprise, though Eva was pleased to see she had found herself in good company. With these later arrivals out of the way Evanthe considered the information presented, as well as those measures Rokkenjima was preparing.

"Rokkenjima shares the desire to prevent this from devolving into a war, however, the winds of conflict do seem to be finding strength as the days pass. In the coming days I will be clearing a deployment to Tienanmen, while forces at QAMB remain on heightened alert. Cooperation with Arstotzka will provide further avenues for action, though I pray they are not necessary. Still, to wade further into this situation without all options available to us would certainly tie our hands from the beginning."

"I am inclined to agree," Beatrice added, "though I hate to think President Kadassa would be so determined to cast aside all that we've worked for. There remains much promise in Rokkenjima and Lakhzovia cooperating, and I think he should be capable of seeing that avenue is the one most beneficial for Lakhzovia to follow." "However," Evanthe said before Beatrice could speak further, "the signs increasingly point to Kadassa's legitimacy being brought into serious doubt. Does anyone else here remember the release of the election results? I didn't think so."

"We need to pursue a renewed effort before the Commonwealth, bring ever greater light on the fact that the elections remain very much in doubt, and undermine yet further whatever credibility Kadassa may cling to. This is an aspect where I feel the assistance of Mr. Tsagarai should prove most crucial in achieving. Meanwhile, once our people are clear of Lakhzovia, I fully intend to revisit the Pyrettania-Nakim Accord."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »
"We already took it to the CTO and if memory serves it went nowhere." Serenity said "It may be worth another go but keep the focus on the election result issue."

"I intend to have Achkaerin talk with the Utman through whatever the Iwi can set up for us let's put Kadassa's claims to the test, I also intend to talk to the other nations in the region to get a unified position of what happens if certain things happen, but we'll have to move fast on both counts. Get enough nations onboard and Kadassa should have to give some ground and we may delay the seemingly inevitable for a while. But the second this gets out of hand I'm authorizing an intervention, because that is what 'never again' means." Peter said "Not one more innocent victim."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
"I'm in full agreement," Evanthe replied, "At present the Imperial Government is preparing to bolster forces at Tienanmen whilst QAMB is on notice to deploy should the situation warrant it. This places 30,000 troops, stealth and conventional aircraft, not to mention the Illumic Fleet at our disposal. If Kadassa does take to the force of arms we must be prepared with a force capable of checking him with swift and determined action. Furthermore, once it's determined to be of no advantage to us in the sense of negotiations, the Imperial Government is prepared to recognize an Utman government for the purposes of the Pyrettania-Nakim Accord; should we ever get a glimpse of those elusive election results I imagine a partnership with Tsagarai would not be out of the question."

"Kadassa isn't a foolish man," Beatrice added. "No one undertakes actions such as this without a provisional plan from which to operate. This is where things become difficult as whatever book we are playing from is most certainly not the book Kadassa is playing from. The one advantage we hold is the spirit of support for democratic governments and the force of self-determination; utilizing both to their fullest extent to apply pressure upon Kadassa is necessary."

Evanthe nodded as Beatrice continued, "I'm fully willing to do all that I can to assist. Kadassa and I have a connection, hearing advice from me will be much different than hearing it from you," she said as she looked at Evanthe. "No offense intended, but you don't give him much reason to hold faith that you're acting as an ally with his best interests at heart. If we're to succeed you need to work on that poker face of yours."

"Duly noted," Evanthe sighed.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
"The election results don't matter because they're moot at this point, it's been a long time since those elections were held, releasing them today, tomorrow, next week makes no difference they became questionable and unreliable the day the Lakhzovian Government decided to withhold them." Peter said "The point being I have no reason to trust the results should they get released regardless of what they say, it could be that Kadassa was telling the truth or it could be that the Democratic Alliance was, we simply don't know. I see little value in chasing the results there is more to be gained by the actual act of withholding those results because there is a very obvious implication, Kadassa withholds the results because they weren't favorable to him."

He turned to Beatrice
"You seem to have a fairly good understanding of your brief in this, but remember while we want you to talk to Kadassa your job is to help us prevent a war, get him to the table. The Utman will be there that can be virtually guaranteed considering the international mood." he finished.

"Kadassa will undoubtedly make much of the various military build up's around his nation, Achkaerin are mobilizing, Rokkenjima are stepping things up, Arstotzka and Rashidun are supportive of the Utman." Serenity said from where she sat "Now as my Father has said we're going to be looking to talk to the Utman and we'll be laying out a path to peace with them, we'll be trying to tackle the problems that Kadassa believes exist. While we do that you need to get concessions from Kadassa. The military build up inside Lakhzovia is a major concern, we think this is the precursor to a campaign against the Utman such a campaign could trigger another genocide. We're not going to let that happen on our watch, then there's the election issue if Kadassa believes there's foul play then let's have him release the evidence to the Mundus Crime Agency. If he's concerned about terrorist groups then let's put him at ease, if he gives us the chance to allay his fears then we avoid a war at least for now. Remember legally he holds the card that matters as far as the Utman go - a referendum is in his gift. I don't think he'll ever want to give them one but if we remove the obstacles he may have to for appearances sake. So try to convince him that we can address his concerns without bloodshed."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
"Speaking of which," Evanthe said as she viewed her phone before handing it to Peter, "I do believe we have a new set of issues with the formerly withheld results now seeing the light of day. In all senses of the word they're toxic; though my insistence upon their release was less of what they actually revealed. We're very much in agreement that the refusal to release them when they were current places a large cloud of doubt above them, and while the results are as expected they're disappointing nonetheless. I had so wished to grant Kadassa the benefit of the doubt."

"I understand well the situation before us," Beatrice added, "though I can offer no guarantee as to what results my involvement will have in this. President Kadassa may be predictable in some respects, however, in others his actions are not so clear and I can't be sure that his motives in wishing for my involvement are as they appear. I am only reassured that while I am engaging him in discussions we will be preparing a response for any contingency." Following her view of the news reports she sighed, "Hope for the best, though prepare for the worst. On another note, you made a fine selection in Koizumi."

"Thank you," Evanthe replied, "I know how dedicated he was in his service to your mother and our nation, and he's been of immense assistance in righting the ship. We'll proceed as agreed and, so long as everyone pulls their weight, I believe we have a strong chance. As Beatrice said we're dealing with an element of unpredictability in Kadassa. Utilized correctly, however, I believe this could be used to our advantage. Naturally with the release of the results I can't expect Koizumi to coddle Kadassa, pressure is most certainly warranted. Beatrice would certainly have more latitude in this respect and, if you must, I won't hold it against you if you bad mouth me a bit: Kadassa would likely appreciate the fact that you hate me just as much as he does."

"You know that's not true," Beatrice said as she stood in immediate protest. "I am well aware of that, however, Kadassa views you as some sort of martyr while viewing me as a pretender to the Throne. Use this to your advantage, walk in there as the rightful Empress of Rokkenjima, it's a role which he respects to this day. If it places you in a better position to handle him it's a tool which should be utilized."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:57 AM »
Peter had been about to speak when there was a gasp from Nettie, she walked over to Peter and showed him something on her phone - the latest Free Mundus Network article
"You called it." Nettie said
"Here we go again." Peter said "Serenity see if Carla or Eve are around please." he handed the phone to Evanthe as Serenity temporarily left the room "It would seem Kadassa's more foolish than we imagined. If this is verified then it casts everything else aside, it doesn't matter what he tries to hide behind either."

Serenity soon returned with another woman Eve Acheson
"This is Eve she's the junior Royal Counsel." Peter said "Have you seen the FMN?"
"Yes." Eve said "I assume you want me to look into it from the point of view of Article 1.7 of the Uppsala Convention?"
"I do." Peter said "Ask Kumiko to call in the RTC, we've got some big decisions to make now."

"Where does this leave us?" Nettie asked
"With decisions to make like I said." Peter said "But we must make them quickly before all hell breaks loose."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
"Well then," Evanthe said as she shared the view with Beatrice, "things have gone from bad to worse rather quickly. Any window which Beatrice would have to act is quickly closing as Kadassa grows seemingly more desperate as the hours pass. The Imperial Government is coordinating its response fully with Achkaerin, though the hour may be fast approaching for a joint statement outlining our position in no unclear terms. Certainly news of potential terrorist links complicates any position we may take, however."

Beatrice Anselmo