Author Topic: Moriarty Prize (TIO Version of Nobel Prize - OOC Planning)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
Moriarty Prize (TIO Version of Nobel Prize - OOC Planning)
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
So I realised that Mundus doesn't have any equivalent version to our rl Nobel Prize and after hearing the fact that Nord tried his best but failed twice already, I reckon third time's the charm (as they say). So I'm willing to annually host it in Metro Elsbridge (national capital region) in the Commonwealth of Pretoria. Now what I need from you guys is valuable criticism in order for us to have a successful and maintained Nobel Prize, even the name itself. Below is a first draft for an application procedure in order for the 'right' candidates to gain a prize in the below metioned categories.

Spoiler: show

The Moriarty prize was created by the scientist and one of Pretoria's wealthiest men, Dr. Moriarty, before he died in 1896 at his residence in Elsbridge. He created the prize to celebrate persons in each category.

The Moriarty Prize will be awarded to different persons/organizations in each category of the prize.

Here are the following categories

-Chemistry: Outstanding contributions in chemistry
-Physics: Outstanding contributions for mankind in the field of Physics
-Literature: Outstanding contributions in literature
-Peace: Outstanding contributions in peace
-Physiology or Medicine: Discoveries in physiology or medicine that led to benefit for humankind
-Anthropology: Significant contribution to social, physical or cultural anthropology or archaeology.
-Arts: A career of achievement in the art of architecture, painting or sculpture
-Computer science: Outstanding contributions in computer science
-Energy field: Outstanding scientific innovations and solutions in global energy research
-Economics: Outstanding contributions in Economic Sciences
-Engineering: Ground-breaking innovation in engineering which has been of global benefit to humanity
-Journalism: Excellence in newspaper journalism

The prizes will be handed out in Elsbridge every year on 10th December.

The Moriarty committee is made out of 5 people selcted by the Pretorian Parliament according to the wishes Dr. Moriarty wrote in his will. The people serving in the committee can not be politcal active when serving on the committee. The members serve for life unless they want to retire earlier or are impeached.

These are the current committee persons that Parliament decided to appoint:

- Anthony Matthews (Chairperson): Former PM of Pretoria and former Party Leader of the National Liberal Party
- Frederick Armstrong (Deputy Chair): Scientist and Professor of History at the University of Elsbridge
- Eliza Simpson: Former Party Leader and MP for the Labour Party
- Baylee Lowery: Doctor and a Neuroseurgon
- Brendon Chambers; Former Independent MP.

Each recipient, or laureate, receives a gold medal, a diploma, and a sum of money that has been decided by the Moriarty Foundation; each prize is Worth $1,110,000,

To nominate a person/organization for one of the prizes the nominator must be either a professor, Member of a national parliament, cabinet or Head of State or a previous receiver of the prize.

You can start nomitaing for the 2018 prizes NOW!

To nominate please fill out this form:

Code: [Select]
[b]Application for the Moriarty Prize in FIELD[/b]

[b]Nation Name[/b]:
[b]Laureate Candidates[/b]: (max 3, alternatively an organization can be omitted)
[b]Nominated by[/b]:
[b]Reasoning for Candidature[/b]: (please, be precise)

You can nominate in every category: Do note that "Reasoning for Candidature" must've been RPed through events/news posts beforehand between 2nd Nov 2017 and 1st Nov 2018.

The deadline for submitting candidates is 30th November 2018

Any Criticism is Welcome!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:18:07 PM by The Young Pope »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Moriarty Prize (TIO Version of Nobel Prize - OOC Planning)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:04:14 PM »
Spoiler: Operation Taxi Home for Engineering • show

Application for the Moriarty Prize in Engineering

It is with great delight that I wish to nominate Operation Taxi Home for the prize in Engineering. Close to two years ago the East Moreland company, SmartWar, placed on the moon a group of semi-autonomous robots as part of a project to analyse their use in space exploration. Not only did they succeed in helping gather significant data on our moon they were also brought home, all except three. Blinky, Solo and Bob, collectively known as the Lunar 3, where left behind by accident. A year later Operation Taxi Home was conceived as a technology test bed but also as a way of inspiring the astronautical engineering community. A new design of Lunar lander was made which dropped off an EMAC built test rover which set a speed record for travel on the moon, the same lander picked up the three Swarmbots who had spent over a year sat waiting on the moon. The three Swarmbots were returned to Mundus and are now part of an exhibit in the Northfort Science Museum fascinating thousands.

It is my belief this project shows not just an amazing dedication to engineering but also was highly innovative. The results relating to the SwarmBots will now be used to develop them for a variety of uses including working in atmospheres and conditions considered too unsafe for humans.

I hereby have no hesitation in commending this project for the prize in question.

Signed

King David III of East Moreland.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:02 PM »
OOC - Too many fields in my opinion and they're way too specific. I'd suggest far fewer fields but there should also be an explanation of how the winner is determined because that's where the problem will be.

And please do something about the name

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
I second Arch's opinion, too many fields and way too specific.