Author Topic: Memorial Day 2018 (Open)  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Memorial Day 2018 (Open)
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
OOC - Well aware that the actual day is more than a month off but knowing how long it can take for people to post responses, arrivals and that I'm varying it a little this year, I thought I'd give plenty of time to play it out.

To the nations of Mundus,

The eleventh of November is a date of great significance to many nations on Mundus, for it is the day that the Great War officially ended, the day the guns fell silent. Many people of many different cultures and creeds, many different people from many different nations gave their lives in that period. Every year we honor them for their deeds and we also pay tribute to the fallen in more recent conflicts and deployments. Every year on the eleventh of November Achkaerin marks Memorial Day, it concludes with the festival of remembrance in the Royal Theatre, Valtheim following a day of acts of remembrance across the nation. I would like to extend to each of you this invitation to join us as we mark the day and remember.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline CabbagePreacher

• Basically New Zealand
  • Selamlar, ich bin ein Türke. Probably.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nichitishi
Re: Memorial Day 2018 (Open)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
To: Emperor Peter Azurewind

As Cabbagelandiet has been in isolation, we don't know much about the Great War or anything else before 2018. We would love to learn more about Mundus' history and wish to participate in Memorial Day. Brassica Prime Bless all who died in the fighting and Brassica Prime bless the ones still living.

Signed,

Kara Rsizadam, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Cabbagelandiet
Cabbagelandiet still lives on thine heart!

The Factbook of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1864.msg16144
The Important People of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1865.msg16145#msg16145

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »

Dear Emperor Azurewind.

I would like to thank you for your invitation. I will be personally attending the Memorial Day events in Valtheim.

I would also like to apologise for the Commonwealth of Derusmia’s involvement in the Great War. I would like to take this opportunity to say sorry on behalf of all Derusmians for our actions in the past. We hope Achkaerein and all other nations of Mundus can forgive us. Again, thank you for the invitation.

- President Feish
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:31:34 AM by Franfish McGee »

Offline Cool101jr

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Revana
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »

To Emperor Peter Azurewind,

I will personally be attending the festivities in Achkaerin for this years Memorial Day. I look forward to going through this day of remembrance with my family in Achkaerin.

V/r,
Issac Wesley
Supreme Commandant of Revana

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 01:06:44 AM »

Emperor Azurewind,

For the first time ever, the Neo Quywe Federation can look forward to honouring our fallen as a single, strong nation.

My attendance, as well as that of many veterans from Himekuno, Ahkabnil and Cojotan who fought in the Mhorish Sea Campaign is to be expected.

Signed,

Junko Kamaejikawa
Speaker of the Neo Quywe Federation
something funny or offensive here

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
Memorial Day was always a significant day on the Achkaerinese calendar, it was a solemn occasion and the festival of remembrance in the evening was a fitting tribute to the fallen. The whole occasion was also the definition of a logistical nightmare as the day featured many different events across the nation and eventually culminated in the evenings festival and subsequent reception, needless to say that an awful lot of planning had gone into this years event mainly in the area of timings but that was always the way with the day and some things did go to the last minute.

Standing in terminal three of Valtheim International Airport this early morning was the Achkaerinese Emperor Peter Azurewind, protocol did allow him the option of wearing his old navy uniform but he usually chose not to preferring a dark suit instead, on the jacket pocket he wore his two medals the Djana Cross and the Hermione Leonidas Order while the buttonhole had a red poppy in it. The terminal had been cleared for the day to allow for the arrival and departure of international guests which meant there were only relatively speaking a handful of people inside the terminal, joining the Emperor on the welcoming committee was the organiser of Memorial Day - well for this year at least Doctor Donna Steele, the Achkaerinese representative to the CETO, Peter had been happy, especially with recent events in his family, that someone who was organised had been in control of this. Peter took in a deep breath it was time, they were expecting their visitors any minute now, the big question was who would arrive first?

Offline CabbagePreacher

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
(OOC - Just want to take this moment to inform you gents that my PC is getting repaired, and I'm using the work PC. I'll probably be less active for a month while the PC is getting repaired."

"Bloody hell Pete, did you really have to bring your silly hat you cheeky little..." Kara Rsizadam was going on a rant while getting out of the plane "...I mean, we're going to a bloody memorial here, not to a costume party. That hat might look good on your father, but you?!" Kara Rsizadam noticed that everyone was looking at him and that he was weirdly shouting in an open terminal. After clearing his throat and shaking hands with the welcoming comittee. "Well excuse me gents, I was just going on a little rant there. I'd normally say a word or two about Cabbagelandiet's involvement in the war and how we were in the wrong side. Problem is, we weren't in the war. So..." Kara Rsizadam actually hadn't thought about what to say. "... I don't have anything else to say." Kara and Peterhoff sat on a nearby bench, waiting for others to arrive.

The Factbook of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1864.msg16144
The Important People of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1865.msg16145#msg16145

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
The moment finally came. The flight number DA001 had shown up on the Arrivals board. The media flicked towards the windows, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Presidential aircraft. At first sight, it looked like any ordinary NDIA plane. But a look closer, and you can see that the usual wolf emblem on the tail, it had been replaced with the Presidential seal of New Derusmia.

To a lot of people, Memorial Day was a day of festivities. But not to President Ebston Feish. Today was a day of apologies. A day of begging for forgiveness for the actions that the Commonwealth of Derusmia had done during the Great War. Bombings, shootings... Horrible, horrible things.

President Feish stood in front of a large crowd, waiting to give a speech. “Ahem.” The crowd fell silent as his voice echoed throughout the vicinity. “Thank you for allowing me to be here today. On behalf of all Derusmians, I would like to say sorry. Sorry for the many innocent lives we took. Sorry for the many families that were affected. Sorry for all the destruction that we had caused, cities laid to waste...” President Feish’s eyes shed a single tear, for he had seen what the Commonwealth of Derusmia caused during the Great War a long time ago. “...I’m sorry.” President Feish stepped off the podium, and walked down the stairs, into the Terminal, where he, and others, would wait for the remaining leaders to arrive.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:33:21 AM by Franfish McGee »

Offline Cool101jr

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Revana
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
Issac finished adjusting the jacket on his old dress blues. He usually didn't wear them anymore, but he felt that today was a good excuse to pull them out of the closet. He made his way to his seat and put his seat belt on as the fasten seat belts sign came on and the pilot announced they were making their approach towards VIA. Issac nodded in approval towards Evelyn, Kaleb, and Serena, each of them wearing their own dress uniforms.

20 minutes later, the 4 of them made their way out onto terminal 3 and approached Peter. The did the tradition Achkaerin greeting to the emperor, then Issac gave Peter a respectful hug and shook his hand. "It's great to see you again, sir. Thanks for having us again this year." He said all official for the cameras but the two shared a look between them that translated all the info they need to know about who was on the forefront of each of their minds, Serenity.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Travel by air was never a favourite of hers, but certain trips required it, such as the one today to Valtheim. Following Isaac, Beatrice was the next to approach Peter. "I do apologize, but it seems that our servers chewed up my reply to your message," she said with a sigh. "Serenity has been in my prayers, and if there's anything I can do, you know you need only say so. Now I know the Republicans were content to sit on the sidelines and look after their own interests during the War, however, I shall not allow the day to pass without showing reverence. Thank you for your invitation," she said as she took pause, not quite sure how the two would interact now as things returned to normal.

Behind Beatrice Adriana stood silently, "I don't believe you've had the chance to introduce yourself," she continued. "Your Majesty," Adriana said with a bow.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:59:31 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:43:26 AM »
"Lancer Tsubaki Maera, 814th Light Battalion?" the officer quizzically called out into a formation of uniformed veterans, patiently waiting outside the NQF governmental airliner. "The hell are you doing about to attend an international function with the Brilliant Speaker herself?" his eyes locked onto her as she stepped up before him. "CO said some of us would be hand-picked to serve as ceremonial guards, sir. I don't get paid enough to know why."

"I guess I don't either, your unit was deployed as a strike force during the Myodai Insurgency, Lancer?" "Yes, sir." "Sounds more fun than this. I don't envy you."

"Tsubaki, was it? I surely hope it wasn't too much trouble to have been pulled from your post." Speaker Junko said with a thin smile. "Not at all, Your Highness." Tsubaki responded stiffly, hopelessly unfamiliar with the formalities beyond which the HADS, and later the NQF Army taught her, which to say was merely standing at attention and ending every statement and answer with ", Sir." It put her in a place where she could neither concentrate on doing her job or try to forget about it.

"I'm glad to hear." Junko's voice was dainty and smooth, though something about it didn't quite sit right with Tsubaki, it had almost the opposite effect of being soothing to her. Maybe she was the one out of place here, she thought. Perhaps it was the idea of being on a plane without a carbine and a parachute, not having somewhere to be 10 kilometers below; though she still had a fleeting suspicion the Speaker simply wasn't a person to get comfortable around.

With the Rokkenjimans having finished their greetings, the Speaker approached Emperor Peter with a proud stride, Tsubaki to her right and a carefully arranged formation of veterans, young and old behind her. "Your Majesty, I've heard many things about you." Junko said with enthusiasm, to which Tsubaki and the other veterans behind her raised their left fist into the air, the salute of the NQF.
something funny or offensive here

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Peter had greeted each group as they'd arrived and introduced Donna, it was an interesting turnout to say the least - Cabbagelandiet a nation just emerging from isolation, New Derusmia a nation from the war, Revana well they were family. Rokkenjima well hopefully the day hammered certain things home, and then there was the NQF, a nation that seemed to be the reincarnation of one of the great powers of that war on a much smaller scale for now at least, though with the amount of people they'd brought a bus was now being ordered. Peter glanced at his watch it was just about time to get the show on the road.

"Your Majesties, Royal Highnesses, honoured guests." Peter said getting everyone's attention and avoiding standing on chair to do it was a bonus "This is the bit where as your host I have to talk you through what's going to happen during the day. For the day we've paired each of your respective delegations with a representative of our own, they will be on hand to explain things and to generally speaking guide you through the day so please don't hesitate to ask them about things. Now as for what is going to happen once I've finished this explanation we will be departing this airport and heading to Trinity Square for the act of remembrance marked on the eleventh hour, it is a short ceremony but it does consist in part of the preparations for this evenings event which is our festival of remembrance at the Royal Theatre. Following the festival in the evening there is a reception which is more of an informal affair and a chance for us to talk to each other. With that said if you would all like to follow me."

Peter led the group out of the airport waiting for them was a fleet of cars (and for the NQF contingent there was in addition to their car a bus) each car had that nations guide standing outside it. The guests from Cabbagelandiet were going to be guided through the day by Lady Emma Elsif, the Marqueeza of Valkyria and Greencliffe, she wasn't normally called upon for this sort of thing but Peter had suggested that it was time she stopped worrying about herself so much so here she was.

The President of New Derusmia had as his guide another of Achkaerin's nobility Leonardo Amberbrook, the Marquis of Solaria and Southvale, a military man whose wife was the Achkaerin poet loriet. Leonardo was looking forward to the day and the opportunity to guide the representative of another nation.

The Revanan's, being family, were put into the hands of a relative that Isaac hadn't yet had the chance to meet for a variety of reasons Princess Cerys Azurewind. There were a number of reasons for this firstly Cerys was a capable guide and secondly being family meant that the family related things that were likely on Isaac's mind could be mentioned.

Rokkenjima would be shown around by Olivia Leonidas the youngster of the nobles, once the royal family was excluded, she was the Marqueeza of Avalon & Silverlea a responsibility she'd never imagined having at her age, she'd expected it to be a good number of years before that happened but nine years ago that had all changed. She was the perfect fit for the job of showing Rokkenjima's Empress and Crown Princess through the day because the man she looked to as a father figure was the Viceregent of Rokkenjima these days.

Finally the NQF party would be guided through the day by Antonio Gliss, the Marquis of Dovah and Rockmount. He knew his way in this sort of situation and was definitely a safe pair of hands for this responsibility.

With the cars, and bus, loaded and on their way towards Trinity Square incidentally the oddest name for a place in Valtheim, Peter turned his attention to the other person who'd been standing around the airport his son Prince Simon
"Take over here and welcome any late comers." Peter said "Any that come you grab the backup cars and get them to the Temple."
"And then the Palace I know." Simon said "I'll see you later."

Peter nodded and with Donna got into the one remaining car and they were on their way into the city as well.

Offline CabbagePreacher

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »
Kara Rsizadam and Peterhoff approached the car "Wait, aren't we forgetting someone?" said Peterhoff. Kara Rsizadam thinked for a second "You are right, I think we did forget someone at the plane..." Then they heard Brassicus II shouting from the back and running towards them "Kara Rsizadam, one day you're going to forget yourself if you are this forgetful!" Brassicus II was left breathless by the time he reached the Cabbagelandetians. "Ah bloody hell Rsizadam... How do you forget a whole bloody person? And Peter, you should inform the straw-head about me being missing! So who is our guide then?" Kara Rsizadam pointed at Emma Elsif. "Well then, sorry for making you wait my lady. As you can see, I have the most competent Kara Rsizadam." Brassicus II laughed "Anyways, we should get into the car, shouldn't we?" the Cabbagelandetians entered the car and got on their way to the city.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:52:19 AM by CabbagePreacher »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »
Emma smiled at the people she was guiding, they seemed an interesting group and somewhat fun though perhaps forgetting one person of your delegation when at an event in a foreign country wasn't the best thing to do. Once they were in the car she spent the journey trying to get to know a little more about the country, she knew how the Emperor worked and in this instance a lot of attention was going on the nations they didn't know, if of course they were going to talk after the day was done.

The whole narrative of Memorial Day would ultimately end at the Royal Theatre in the evening but it began in Trinity Square, this was the religious hub of Valtheim the main temple of the Cult of Namis the Temple of the Trinity sat on the north end of the square but the main focus today was on the other temple that sat on that square, it was called the Temple of the Brave though it wasn't technically speaking a religious temple it was one of two monument/memorial locations in the country, this one played a major part in the day. Peter, Donna, their guests and the guides arrived at the square and made their way to a platform from which they'd be able to watch proceedings unfold.

"This is the Temple of the Brave, what you're seeing here is a simple ceremony that sets the rest of the day in motion." Peter said "Representatives of each regiment of the Achkaerinese army, a representative of the navy and one from the Air Force are standing there in a line at the foot of the temple's steps." he pointed the line out as Donna took over the explanation.

"In a few moments there's going to be a loud bell and the doors of the temple will open." Donna said "Each representative over there is carrying what we call the roll of the fallen, it's in simple terms a list of military personnel killed in action over the last year, these rolls are then combined into this years book of the dead which plays a part in this evening's festival. When the bell sounds and the doors are open each of those members of the armed forces will walk up the steps and into the temple where they will hand their roll to the chaplain in residence."

It didn't take that much longer for the bell to ring and then just as Donna had explained the representatives of the Achkaerinese military, all in their dress uniforms, walked up the steps and into the temple. Peter watched from his place with great respect for the names in those books, the festival was big in the evening and yes it was televised and all the rest of it but this moment earlier in the day was a public event, people crammed to get into the square for it, this was on the day representative of the public's moment to pay their respects.

When the ceremony was over and the square was cleared Peter turned to their guests

"I believe it's time for something to eat before we head to the festival." Peter said