Author Topic: A Day At The Rhodes  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
A Day At The Rhodes
« on: October 29, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »
"Typical," Evanthe sighed as she dropped the newspaper into Joshua's lap, joining him on the couch for a 'lazy day' that she had demanded. "Though it seems those plans are out the window," she sighed. "Look I get it, cultural issues are always going to be sensitive, but bashing a man's skull in, shooting others up with poison and picking people off vessels as you wish and without thought for international law? Now this business with the Tamorans and the Slavans taking a page out of the Soviet handbook...."

"Where are you going with this, exactly?" Joshua asked as words continued to stream from her mouth. "Stay with me, I've got a point I promise," she continued, a grin sneaking upon her face for a moment before she recomposed herself. "Now with all this being brought to the forefront, I can see where she's coming from: why is it you have statements against Tamora for slavery, but barely anyone seems to care about the Slavan Tamorans? If it weren't the Iwi, who have solid connections via the CNN, would these nations be so accommodating of their....methods?"

"The best part is, I know the answer to it all," she said as she inched towards Joshua. "Oh? And that is?" he said with intrigue.

"You make it about the Rokkenjimans, Beatrice specifically. Oldest page in the playbook, we both know it," she said as she again held the paper before him. "So far no one has really met her challenge, just the usual response to some solid points. Question is, are we going to sit this one out, or do we give her some cover?"

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: A Day At The Rhodes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 05:33:00 AM »

Joshua offered his wife a wry smile.

"Blaming Rokkenjima is a play I have used myself. I know it well. The problem is, is that Beatrice has selective indignation. I mean, all of Mundus has it, but it's more pronounced in Beatrice. She buddies up with the Tamorans despite 40 million slaves, calls out Slava Lavosk, stayed quiet when Lakhzovia executed some people...you get the picture."

"Seaforth has always had a provision for capital punishment, but it is used only in the most severe cases and with an overwhelming preponderance of evidence. We also use the most humane methods we can devise. The Iwi and now of course Slava Lavosk are using methods that are, by any reasonable measurement, brutal and inhumane. It borders on torture. Slightly off-topic, the real problem with capital punishment is that people make mistakes. How many death row or life sentence inmates have been exonerated in that last few decades since DNA was started to be used? It's very hard to walk back an execution."

Evanthe rolled her eyes at the sarcasm and waited for Joshua to continue.

"What Beatrice needs to do is find some consistency. An enemy, opponent, adversary or rival can be respected if they stick to their principles. If they display courage and honour. Even friends will find themselves on the opposite sides of certain issues. East Moreland and Seaforth disagree on the Bene Gesserit. Freya issued a warning, as a good friend must. Andrew thanked her and implied she may be misinformed. Were strong words said? Some. Are we still allies? Yes. The matter then dropped there, because each knows where the other stands. Consistent adherence to a common set of principles."

"Beatrice must decide Rokkenjima's stance on slavery. She must decide Rokkenjima's stance on capital punishment...yes or no, and if it is yes...in what circumstances can it be applied? I don't think she has clearly defined her positions or consistently represented them. It makes her appear weak and unreliable."

A flash of anger passed through Evanthe's eyes.

"Now, now. The truest friend will tell you when you are fucking something up...and then help you fix it. So...how do you think to help cousin Beatrice? Because I see where Slava Lavosk is coming from. The First Empire is courting the Tamoran Empire right a a time when things are running as hot as they ever have. There are as many slave in Tamora as there are people in Slava Lavosk. They are scared and under stress. Mistakes are going to come more frequently and more severely as tensions in Midaranye continue to rise.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
"I wouldn't say she's getting all chummy with the Tamorans," Evanthe reflected, "more acting upon what she's learned in her experiences. Sanctions won't work as we've seen, an invasion would be most costly for any side in such a conflict, further isolation only worsens the situation. You give them a slice of what we take for granted, show measured kindness, and hope that somewhere along the way you plant the seeds for change from within. It's not an easy change any way you look at it, but the tools we've always counted on are dull and useless in this case."

Evanthe sighed and shifted a bit, "What I see is she's stated slavery is abhorrent and something Rokkenjima stands against like, well, 99% of the rest of Mundus, sanctions were implemented that only enslaved more people, the rhetoric only pushed them further away from even being willing to engage the outside world with any measure of trust. That trust will be needed if you want to get anything done, as they say in Achkaerin, she's looking at the long game here. It's similar in a way to her intentions toward Toshikawa: don't pressure them into a place that makes the situation worse but instead provide fertile ground for a better future."

"The thing is, yet again crisis strikes, Beatrice highlights some issues the international community may not be so comfortable with, and the usual play is put into action with those points cast aside. This is how bad actors get the room to breathe and, in this case, a young girl faces most certain death. There's a time, place and method for saying "hey, ya fucked up", and there's a time and place to get things done. The two aren't mutally exclusive, especially with the diplomatic links the two Empires hold under the present arrangement. Slava Lavosk has their breathing room, and you've the silent majority telling them they're in the clear essentially."

"I will say if something doesn't change, I may be expanding my diplomatic activities beyond the IDS side-project. I don't wish to, but I won't leave her standing there by herself when she's doing the right thing and speaking the truth: all these people care about Tamorans when they're in chains. When it's a Tamoran in Slava Lavosk, eh, not so urgent to them is it? It's a different world, to be sure, and not the one I saw our son growing up in..."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
"I remember when we penned the MCUR. The contentious articles were abortion and LBGT rights among the nations of Mundus. The stance against slavery was universally accepted without question. Now today we have Tamora actively engaging in chattel slavery. Rokkenjiman's buying those same slaves, a clear violation of the MCUR. In fact every single nation that is a signatory to that document is in violation if they accept any form of slavery. It says there in black and white:

1. No one shall be held in slavery or servitude.

2. No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.

It does not say, excepting for Tamora. It does NOT say excepting in the instance of culture and tradition. Signatories to the MCUR must oppose slavery without question. You can't ask Tamora 'please stop enslaving people'. You can't buy slaves and free them later, Tamora will just take more slaves. MCUR signatories must unequivically take action to stop this. They must refuse diplomatic access to Tamora, refuse them on the world stage, refuse them in the diplomatic corp, refuse to allow them access to ports or trade. Blockade the nation if you must. They will not bow to any other means. Slavery, in any form is wrong. Full stop. End of story. The desire to be diplomatic about it just gives Tamora room to wiggle and the arguments I am hearing about 'creating more slaves' with sanctions and such is fucking bullshit."

Joshua stopped at the expletive, looking embarrased by his rising voice.

"I'm sorry Darling. I just can't believe I have to say something like this in the 21st century. Andrew will feel the same, and I am afraid that if nations believe they can willfully violate something as central to all humanity as the MCUR, that nations will believe that no treaty is worth the paper it's written on."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
"We'll be able to hear from her mouth directly," Evanthe said as she snuggled with Joshua, "I've arranged for her to arrive tomorrow via Imperial Concorde. I figured with all that's going on, not just with Tamora and the Iwi, but with the family she needs some roots to get her head straight again. I'm sure you overheard some of our conversations," she said as she nudged him in the ribs with her elbow, "so no comments about the 'little Emperor', they won't be helpful. I mean you came back from the dead and the first thing your hands found was me, so I think she's feeling a bit irritated that her husband can't find the will to come home for whatever reason."

"Speaking of which," she said as she looked at the clock, "we've a good bit of time before she arrives. Let's not waste a moment of it."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

Joshua nodded sagely.

"I will refrain from commenting on Alex. Frankly, the little shit has grown on me and I wouldn't want to cause harm where there is harm enough. I have also taken the liberty of inviting Andrew here as well. I feel there are some things we need to iron out between Rokkenjima and Seaforth...but in the meantime...."

Joshua leans over and kisses Evanthe. Camera fades to black. Giggling can still be heard.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:05:48 AM »
The knocking on the door is what interrupted their slumber, "Shit," Evanthe said as she looked at the clock. "Go on, get your pants on!" she said in hushed words, only to bolt for the door as it began to open slowly. "Beatrice, you must wait, knocking and entering...this isn't Pyrena Castle!" Beatrice sighed, "Well perhaps next time you invite me over you'll better account for...unforeseen developments, yes? Don't take too long," she said, taking the time to view the pictures on the wall immediately across from her.

A few moments later she was welcomed in, "Eva, Joshua, always a pleasure to see you. Now it's not common for me to be summoned somewhere so I trust there are a host of issues you wish to discuss. Perhaps Alys and her brussel sprout; it can't bode well for Marseille or Aquitaine that she is setting down roots in Cabbagelandiet. So, Joshua, let's start with you. How may I be of service?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
"Not service, Beatrice, nor summoned. Cooperation, rather." Said Joshua. "The world is rapidly changing and we must adapt rapidly these days. As for Alys, we have neutralized her as far as we are able. She has no standing in Seaforth save for mother of Baron Rutherford, and between the Republic of Marseille, the Duchy of Aquitaine and the Trojan March I think we have blocked her, at least temporarily from Marseille. I don't quite know what to do about Brassicus and Cabbagelandiet at the moment. I do know that Andrew would like to discuss some...sensitive items...and thought a more intimate and private occasion would benefit all."

Joshua's phone vibrates on the night stand.

"That will be him, now."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
"Very well, it's wonderful to see you again Joshua," Beatrice said as she sat. "Indeed, with the ineffectiveness of institutions such as the CTO and CMA we have ourselves quite troubled waters to navigate. I've also some issues I feel we could forward through cooperation thus once we have Andrew present we shall proceed."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »

Andrew arrived all greetings were made all the way around. Then Andrew cleared his throat and began.

"My Dear Beatrice. Rokkenjima has been a long and faithful friend to Seaforth ever since Joshua and Evanthe established cordial relations between our two nation in the wake of the Illumic Blockade. We have come along way since then. Marriages, children and the changing nature of our relationships with each other and with other nations across Mundus. The Royal Council and I have though long and hard about the direction we wish Seaforth to head in, both internally, in the Illumic, and abroad. Therefore, I must inform you that The Kingdom of Seaforth will not seek to renew the lease of Queen Adrianna Military Base and will let the current agreement expire January 1, 2019. As per the agreement, Rokkenjima has 6 months, until June 1 2019 to vacate. In reciprocity, Seaforth will begin preparation to turn over Gibraltar to Rokkenjiman authorities also by June 1 , 2019. This of course, will have no bearing on the civilian lease of Rishiri. I hope you understand our position.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 05:25:44 AM »
"Interesting," Beatrice chuckled, only to get a spiteful look from Evanthe.

"Yo, shut the fuck up," she said with no effort, to the dropped jaws of Andrew and, to a lesser extent, a Joshua with a grin on his face.

"Eva!" Beatrice replied in shock. "Don't do that to me, and yes Joshua, I have twins so your jokes about the double cremes, shut the fuck up okay?"" she said semi-sarcastically. "I don't give a fuck about Tamora right now, I don't care about RS, we fix this and move on ok?" Eva asked.

Beatrice looked at Josjua, "You get the massage, I'll handle alcohol for us. Don't disappoint me Andrew?"

Beatrice Anselmo