Author Topic: The Lead Sword to Ostlake  (Read 2990 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
The Lead Sword to Ostlake
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
It was an exciting time for Anna Davidson, the Lead Sword of Bakkermaya, a position that connected the elected elements of the government to the Grand Duke. It was a largely symbolic position but the Bakkermayans had a great love for their ties to the older traditions and so Anna was thrilled to have been selected for this role, especially as she was the first woman to hold the title and the first part Paracambian to hold the symbolic role. As Duchess of Wellow she was used to diplomatic meetings but generally they centred around the affairs of the Six Dukedoms, a meeting with the Duke of Walesby last week to discuss some trading issues they'd been having because of Walesby's subsidies for farming. It was like discussing things with old friends as the Dukes and Duchesses considered themselves not just politicians but also friends. Today was a little different however, she would like any Lead Sword be expected to have a new one made and at the end of her time in the position hand it over to join the Procession of Swords which lined the corridor in the Grand Dukes Palace that linked the Council's chamber to the Grand Duke's Chamber. She had been delighted when the Morelander King had invited her to come over and forge one along with his Mastersmith at Ostlake, one of the most Holy places for the people of her faith, and to make matters even better she would be dining with King David himself, the descendent of her beloved Raimond Unasson. She had always enjoyed her father telling her the stories of this great hero of their faith and would as a girl sit on the beach near their home and sketch scenes of him in battle. To think she would now make a sword where the every descendent of Unasson's had sent a tingle down her spine.

She had elected to fly into Northfort rather than Ostlake itself. There was a chance to go visit THE Temple of Helus, not a Temple of Helus like they had back home. She now walked up the marble steps and past the twin statues that guarded the entrance. She had with her an offering on behalf of the people of Bakkermaya and made her way down to the front to leave the silver figurine of Unasson at the shrine. It was also here she was meeting an old friend, Tim Carpenter. She settled down to just enjoy being in the Temple while she waited.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: The Lead Sword to Ostlake
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:39:04 PM »
Tim arrived shortly after Anna had settled, he was running slightly late and thanks to the over enthusiastic attention he had received by some well wishers on the street. He made his way to a row behind Anna and quietly made his way behind Anna, "What you doing?" He whispered to her from just behind her. "I trust Your Ladyship had a safe trip, didn't have trouble finding the place." The pair had attended a great many of the talks given by Dr.Marcus Merriman and become close friends however they hadn't spent too much time in each others company over the last few years. "So you wanted to meet, what you want to talk about?" Tim asked as he leaned back in his chair. "Or did you just want to once more gaze upon my handsomeness." he chuckled.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
Anna jumped as Tim sneaked up on her, she was happy to see him as it had been years and the odd e-mail, skype chat and facebook post didn't really cut it anymore. "Do I need a reason to visit an old University buddy?" The two had meet while Anna was spending a term at Royal Northfort University and attending the lectures of Dr.Merriman, Tim at the time was working for the respected professor. "I figured that while I was here I'd catch up with you and I have a job offer for you." She suspected this had come out of the blue and had no idea if the Morelander would accept. "You see while I've this role as Lead Sword I've no one I trust with the keeping of the Duchy of Wellow. I'm still ambitious Tim, one day Lascelles is going to step down as Grand Duke and when that day comes I'd like to try and become the first Grand Duchess, to do that I need to ensure that Wellow gains fame among the Six Duchies, and what better way to help with that then to get a bonafide member of the Court of Canley to act as my stand in when I'm away on my duties as Lead Sword, it wouldn't be full time, it wouldn't mean a permanent move to Wellow but it would mean you going and being my eyes and ears during meetings. You'd be my Governor, sit in the odd meeting, make recommendations to my Ducal Council and act as my voice. It'll be for a year and I'll ensure you're well looked after. What do you say Governor Carpenter." she hoped he'd say yes. The people of Bakkermaya had a deep connection to the Cult of Helus and anyone with the background Tim had would gain instant respect and that would be useful for Anna in the years to come.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
Tim was flattered to be offered this chance. His political career had certainly had its fair share of ups and downs, his mental episode during his second term at the CTO, his near death experiences but they'd also been fun at times. This was a chance to get back into that on a day to day basis and he had heard good things about Wellow. "Anna I don't know what to say." he began as he wasn't expecting this kind of offer. "I can't though" he sighed, "I've some unfinished business here in East Moreland." His visions from the Gods had become much less frequent since he'd started counselling and he was sure that soon they'd stop completely but he'd made several promises to the Gods and so he couldn't just walk away to a tropical island. "If you think I can help though I'd be happy to be a friendly ear if and when you need." Tim offered, having friends in other nations would be important and the Bakkermayans at least had something in common with East Moreland."

"So what else you got planned while you're here? I understand you're meeting the King?"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
Anna was slightly disappointed that Tim had said no, she had desperatly wanted someone of good renown to join her little Council and Tim would have been ideal but now she would need someone else. "If you're not taking the job then any chance of you pointing me in the direction of someone who will, I need to have someone with some experience of international relations and diplomacy, its something lacking on Wellow as the Grand Duke tends to pick up the best of our diplomats so I'm left to looking outside. I mean it can't be that weird a thing to do, Rokkenjimas got an Achkaerin Vice-Regent, so me getting a Cultist in will not be too much of a scandal."

"And yes I'm meeting the King later today, perhaps you'd care to join me for lunch while you find me a Governor? Then you can take me up to the Palace."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »
"Come on" Tim motioned for Anna to follow her, "I know a good place for lunch" he walked out the Temple and then headed down the hill towards the centre of the city, a handful of young people stopped him and asked for a photograph and Tim was happy to oblige. It was once they had left the Temple District that the city became more like a modern 21st Century city and Tim found a place to eat, "Welcome to Annie's Burger Shack" Tim pushed open the door to what looked like a regular bar, a massive chalk board bearing around twenty different types of burger stood proudly at one end of the bar. "Two ales please" Tim ordered as he pointed for Anna to claim one of the empty tables. He collected the glasses of foamy beer and joined her handing her one of the glasses. "As for your governor I can think of a few suggestions" Tim began as he talked to her while looking at the chalk board. "We've our own Melissa Lusk, her time at the Refugee Council would make her a great candidate. Then of course if the Ironside connection is what you find important you could always ask the King's cousin Princess Lilian but she lacks the diplomatic knowledge I guess, seems more concerned with being an engineer."

A woman wearing a red and white chequered shirt approached, "Hi, can I take your order?" she asked, "Oh....Mr.Carpenter sorry I didn't recognise you" she apologised.

"Not a problem" Tim smiled, "I'd like to order the New Orleans Burger please." Tim ordered what was described as "A mouthwatering burger covered in sautéed red onions & mushrooms all expertly blended with butter, red wine and tarragon.", it was one of the few he hadn't tried on his many visits here. "Oh and can I get a side order of cheesy fries rather than the regular please." He waited for Anna to make her order.

"You know it doesn't just have to be a Morelander you consider, if you're after a prominent Cultist then why not Joshua Rhodes, he's currently out of a proper job I understand, converted to the Cult, as far as I know he stands by the Code pretty solidly and he's a former King so knows his way around diplomacy." Tim threw the name out there and waited for Anna's response as well as his burger.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
Anna was dressed more for a business dinner rather than a casual burger and a beer but then again Tim tended to buck many of the trends people of political status would have for themselves. She ordered a chilli dog and fries and then instantly regretted it as she worried about how to stop the stuff getting down her attire. "I'd be interested in all three of them, I think in terms of prestige Rhodes would be the most appealing, but I have been impressed with Melissa's work at the Refugee Council. As for Princess Lilian the Ironside name is appealing however what experience she has for diplomacy isn't really going to be useful. So if you can put me in touch with Joshua Rhodes then I'll be grateful. I do however hope you'll make some frequent visit to Wellow, apparently we've some decent skateparks."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
The burgers arrived as Tim rolled through his phones address book to find the contact details he had for Joshua Rhodes, he wasn't even sure that they were still correct but he was pretty certain Anna wouldn't struggle to get in touch with the former ruler of Seaforth. Tim wasn't sure what his own political future was but he was only certain that for the time being it was in East Moreland. "So you're meeting the King right?" he asked as he added mayo to his sweet potato fries. " Do me a favour and put a word in for the Freestone Abolotion Society" Tim grinned as he tucked into his lunch.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
Anna finished up her lunch and bid farewell to Tim, she promised to drop some hints about the Freestone Abolition Society and they agreed to catch up again before she left. Anna made her way briefly over to her hotel room and picked up her sword and briefcase before making her way back through the Temple District. It was a sight that made her heart flutter everytime she saw it, next there was the hike up the hill to the Palace of Northfort. She presented her invitation at the gate and waited to be permitted through.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:29:52 PM »
Robbie Peacock was on gate duty and checked the invitation carefully as he made his way into the guardhouse, it was unusual for VIP's to present themselves on foot at the gate and so sadly Anna was left waiting while he checked the expected image against the woman he was seeing in front of him, satisfied it was who he was expecting he passed her bags through a security scanner and then had one of the NCO's drive her down the path to the Palace itself, the path was some 600meters long and they didn't like the idea of having a VIP out in the open by walking.

Once they got to the Palace doors King David was waiting, "Lady Anna" he walked down the steps to meet her as the Red Legionnaire opened the door for her before saluting his monarch. The King returned the salute with a polite nod before extending a hand to Anna. "I believe you've had lunch, with Tim Carpenter?" he asked, "That being the case perhaps I can treat you to a spot of coffee while we talk?" he lead her inside and up the Palace staircase to the lounge on the second floor which overlooked the rear of the Palace and the grounds. "How have you found East Moreland so far?" the King asked as he offered her a seat, "and what exactly can I do for you?" he added.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
Anna was a little starstruck. While Bakkermaya saw itself as seperate to East Moreland it held the monarchs of the Morelanders in some reverence, Bakkermaya may not have been where the faith of the Cult of Helus was born but it was the nation where it devout had carved out the furthest expansion of the faith and many held the belief that the man who was shaking her hand was the direct descendent of a man who had died so that Helus could live. "Your Majesty" she bowed her head deeply before accepting his hand shake. "I'm deeply honoured to meet you and thank you for welcoming me into your home." she said taking in the sights of the Palace she'd read so much about, even taking note of the few bullet holes that had been left over from the Regency Crisis. "I had the dubious honour of attending University while Tim was, well, helping Dr.Merriman shall we say." She smiled, Tim was supposedly the assistant of the Professor and I was studying there. I understand you're a student of Dr.Merriman?" She asked knowing full well the answer, she had read everything she could about the Ironsides. "I've been to East Moreland a few times, but never on official business, and frankly I'm more excited than I've ever been on a trip here." she could feel herself beginning to get butterflies in her stomach as she nodded to the offer of coffee. "To be allowed to go to Ostlake and make my own sword, the first Lead Sword's blade to be made there" Her eyes had almost glossed over with anticipation. "I understand Your Majesty had made a pair of swords there, that must be a special feeling?" she asked hoping she wasn't being too personal. "Perhaps while I'm here I could also have a moment of your time to discuss something Grand Duke Lascelles has asked me to bring up with you? Only if it's appropriate time wise?" she asked.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »
David felt some sadness at mention of the two swords, one would forever go unfinished as it was intended for his dead son Caspian, even had the child lived he would probably have never been able to wield it due to his illness. "Yes I was a student of Marcus.....twice" David smiled, the thought of his time studying under the much respected professor was a fond memory. "The man taught me a great deal beyond Moreland History and I know he's had a similar influence on students throughout Mundus." As conversation began to turn to more business like matters . "I'd be open to any discussions Grand Duke Lascelles wishes you to bring up and if the time is fine with you then the time is ok with me" David responded.