Author Topic: A Monster's Honor  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
A Monster's Honor
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
Having been a single Dad was hard, raising his Grandson alone had been even more taxing. Mister Schneider had prepared a simple meal of Vegetable stew and Bread. They weren’t specially wealthy so meat was a rarity, but he made due. His son and daughter in law had died in a Car Crash when the boy had been a toddler. He stood to greet him but the boy pushed him aside:

“Hey, whatever went wrong today, there’s no reason to be pushy now. Just sit down, eat and we talk about it!”

His Grandson Viktor scoffed:

“I don’t think so.” before slamming several print outs on the table, storming up the Room.

Mister Schneider followed upstairs, finding his grandson packing Clothes and other utility items into a bag:

“What do you think your doing?”

“Moving out.” the boy declared, before turning around:

“I signed up for one of the Academies. Don’t even talk to me monster.”

Mister Schneider gulped, shaking his head:

“Where the hell did you…”

“Cerberus.”

Mister Schneider took a deep Breath. before walking out of his Grandsons room:

“At least eat. And hear me out.”

The man was shaking. He had been afraid this day would come, but hadn’t expected it would come from him. He picked up his grandsons Printouts. It was a School Project about Seleucid War criminals still on the loose, one Slide about a Group of soldiers called Cerberus, the Helldogs.

“What’s your real name” The angry boy crossed his arms, shoving the food away from himself.

“Hans Schneider is my real name. I did marry Annabelle. Just…”

The boy punched the Table, his eyes red swollen, hans nodded:

“I was born as Firouz Alkiviadis. And yes, i am the guy having my boots in her Face on that Picture.”

“They are looking for you. You and your crownies raped seventy women in one night!”

Tears fell down the boys face:

“I’m the Grandson of a Monster.”

Hans shook his head, drying his own eyes:

“Don’t forget your Toothbrush.”

He left a letter for his Grandson. If the schoolkids found him that easy there was no way for him left to protect his family than to face the Iwi. He knew sooner or later he’d be found out.

“Dear Grandson,

if you read this i already left the Airport and likely walked into a Police Station in the Commonwealth.
Your Father was born 1982, a year after that Picture happened. I was among the Youngest of that group, tasked to round up a village. And we did. When they didn’t tell us where the so called Rebels where hiding we started by beating then, and then we violated every single grown Woman there.
But we didn’t stop there. We dared who would pick the youngest of them, as we thought them little more than animals, and make her scream the loudest.
I’m not proud of this, but that day your Grandmother was only Thirteen.
One Year later, i was by then promoted to Labor Camp Guard, i saw her again.
She was pushed in, and us soldiers wickedly grinned. But then i saw it. She held a Newborn, barely a few weeks old. And she saw me, rushed to me and pushed the boy into my arms before spitting in my face.
I’m rather sure she died that night. And so did Firouz Alkiviadis. Paralyzed as she defiantly walked away i held on to the child, confused i walked down to the Barracks, where my Childhood Friend offered me advise. And pulled a Gun on your Father, he barely missed as i pulled him away, and he yelled at me if i want to protect that Bastard.
The shot had caused an uproar in the Camp, i could hear more chaos outside, and as my friend turned his back to get our commander i put a bullet in the back of his head and ran.

I am a coward through and through, i took a helpless woman, i shot my childhood friend in the back of the head. And i would kill my friend again to protect my son.

Whatever awaits for me the iwi will call it justice, and the only thing i can do to protect you from my reputation now is face them head on.

I wish one day you can remember me not only as monster, but as the man who also walked tall facing his mistakes.

Just don’t ever think of me as Role model.

Your loving Grandfather, Hans Schneider.”

In an Airport in the United Iwi, a Man of 57 Years took off his hat after passing the Security with his Uburzian Passport, walking straight into the Airports Police Station.

He walked up to the Receptionist officer:

“Hans Schneider, though i was born as Firouz Alkiviadis. I think you are looking for me.”

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
Re: A Monster's Honor
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »
It had been a quiet day in Hunters Bay airport, a few flights from the CNN countries and that was about it. There was only an hour left in Rikasa's shift when Firouz Alkiviadis presented himself. The name straight away started alarm bells ringing and so Rikasa phoned his superviser who appeared within a matter of minutes. There were a series of conversations among them before the supervisor instructed Firouz to accompany him, the pair walked in silence along a twist and turning maze of corridors before entering an area that looked more like a police station. It was here Firouz was placed into a small cell room along with a woman who seemed intoxicated and a man who was clearly under the influence of drugs.

It was about an hour later that a smartly dressed woman appeared. "Mr.Alkiviadis please come with me" she instructed as a uniformed police officer let him out of the cell. They walked a few meters turned the corner and the women held a door open. Inside a man in a suit sat at a desk leafing through a folder, he didn't react at all to the entrance of the two newcomers. "I'm Detective Umara of the Commonwealth's Police Force" she explained, "This is Chike Tamarua of the Otikoro Foundation, they're the experts in what happened during the Occupation here and in investigations of this nature support the police. Chike still hadn't reacted to Firouz presence and instead was removing a few selected documents from his massive folder. "Now today has taken us a little by surprise" she began, "So before we start let me explain a few things. Your currently being filmed" she pointed to various cameras, "and all sound within this room is being recorded. As of yet you have not been charged with anything but I would remind you that anything you say can be used as evidence should charges be levelled. Now I'd like you to listen very carefully to my friend here."

Chike suddenly looked up and gave Firouz a smile that could be described as reassuring. "Now let me explain something before I show you something. The Otikoro Foundation have made it our aim to bring to justice all those who did anything wrong during the occupation. We do this by sifting through records, collecting witness statements from survivors and using methods such as DNA matching to identify victims. You've seen and heard of the results we've achieved and therefore you know the worst outcome. Let me tell you about the best. You're probably here because your either holding information useful to us or you did something yourself. If its the final of these two then if found guilty a judge will pass sentence based on our concept of justice. An amends must be made for a crime committed, now in the eyes of our culture that can happen in many ways." He placed an old regimental photo on the table it was an old regimental photo. "Now I had to do some quick research, your name appeared on a list of soldiers in a regiment called Cerebus, our records had this picture of the regiment on file, it was found in an old barracks. Would you mind looking at it and identifying yourself if you're on it. Once you've done that I'd like you to take this" he slid a piece of paper over, on it was printed the number of outlines in rows that matched the picture, a ghostly blank space where each person on the photo stood. "I'd like you to write the details of any others you recognize, preferably name and rank." He placed a pen next to the picture. "Perhaps you can then explain what made you arrive in the Commonwealth today."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
"If it's not asked to much, i did marry. It was only a very short time but my actual name is Hans Schneider now."

The old man picked up the pen, scribbling away names on a paper next to him, and a couple of notes:

"It's been some years and after fleeing from the Seleucid army i didn't exactly keep in contact. so excuse me if some names are wrongly spelled or just nicknames."

Mister Schneider kept scribbling away, while noting on: "Also Cerberus wasn't the whole Regiment. It only ever refereed to the Seventy of us that that raped and tortured the women and minors in the village. I do think the whole regiment got called that only after the war."

He made a cross behind three names: "I know three of those are dead. Two died in a revenge attack, and Emilios Petrides died by my hand. But i think that comes later as it's a longer story."

He kept scribbling away, though you could see his hand shivering: "I'm sorry. Signing my own Death sentence isn't exactly easy." The man added a weak smile, while handing over the paper: "That guy, with the boot in the woman's face? That's me. Also, you could say it is this picture  that made me come here. My grandson held this to me. But... i think i should start the story from the beginning."

He leaned back: "This is just to gain a general overview for you as to why i am here today. I raped a thirteen year old girl that day, and left her and her relatives in pain."

Hans hands shivered, before continuing: "In the end we got the information that we wanted when the Captain started killing toddlers in front of people. As a result, we all got promotions. We worked as guards for a camp not to far from Hunter's Bay during the next year. I was an outer guard overseeing the new arrivals, and numbering them together with Emilios Petrides. Roughly a year after our attack on the Village, i saw the Girl again at our Gates. She carried a newborn in her hands... and well my stomach turned. i was a young fanatic soldier, but i was able to put one and one together."

He took a deep breath: "she ran over, spit in my face and pushed the boy into my arms. Perplexed i just stared as the other pushed her away, knowing the camp most likely to her death. I haven't seen her since. That much i know."

Hans twiddled his thumbs: "My Friend Emilios followed me to the barracks where i had retreated.  Drew a gun on the boy and took a shot. i barely pulled the baby out of the line of fire. He yelled at me that i should let him kill the monkey bastard. Outside commotion started as the gunshot was heard. He turned on the door to get the captain. And i put a bullet in the back of his head. I killed my best friend to give my son a chance at life. I grabbed my duffel bag and ran with the boy. didn't look back until i made my way to a nearby mercenary camp. I payed them off with some guard patrol plans i had on me, and hitched a ride back to their home.

Turns out the captain liked my looks and despite being fifty years older she married me. Didn't last long, but at that point i was a single dad in a foreign country with my wife dead. My Son married young, but died in a Car crash 2003 with his wife, leaving behind a Grand Son that i again raised. He's now fifteen. The empire being so shut off from the outside world for so long i hadn't even known the Iwi won the conflict until last year. And well..."

Tears ran down Hans face: "Well i guess it caught up to me. After all this years trying my best to protect what little i ever did right, my Grandson Viktor pulled that exact picture on me last week. I now had three options. Make him my accomplice by passively forcing him to cover for me, wait for him to decide and turn against family. Or the one right choice i had now. Face you myself so he doesn't have to make that choice and bear the burden of my mistakes."

Hans visible gulped dry: Putting his glasses down, whipping his eyes: "There's a copy of the Genetic test i did with my son years back, proving i indeed was his father, in my luggage. Look at me. I'm the monster in the room but im starting to cry like a little boy."

Tears dropped down from the mans face as he looked down on the Picture: "All i have left to live for is to protect my Grandson. Even if it means i have to kill myself so you can have justice."

He he whipped his eyes again: "If you give me some more paper i will Write down a whole summary of my time as guard at the camp, all my duties and what i know happened there. As well as a full report of the incident at the village."

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »
Chike Tamarua made meticulous notes as the man spoke. "Now let me get this straight. From the story you have given you didn't directly get involved with any of the misdeeds at the camp you were simply a guard? Is that correct. Also I'm going to offer you some advice." The man removed his spectacles and placed them on his writing pad, "The Maori concept of justice can be brutal as it requires a restoration of a persons tepu, now you in a small way have begun taking steps to restore the tepu of several victims of the genocide. Now I am not saying this will see you avoid the death penalty, but as things stand we have only charges of rape and torture. We have not been charging every regular soldier with combat deaths, only those of civilians. Should you be able to help us bring those who organised and conducted the genocide to justice there is every chance you could simply get a prison sentence. Now if I was you I'd start thinking about what you know of these men once you deserted, did you ever hear from any of them, or did any come to be known well in Seleucid, anything you can tell us will of course be a help to us, and maybe to you."

Detective Umara meanwhile had been busy e-mailing the names they'd gotten to her colleagues, "You spoke of mercenaries helping you in return for some information. We'd need to collaborate your story. Which mercenaries, where from? I need you to tell me."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
"I am sorry, i was a fugitive more from the Seleucid army more than i was from you. I did not try to contact any of them, and Neu Uburzis was as shut off as Morelands Gold Reserve for the working Citizen during those years. All i can offer to yo is the names and my Testimony as to who gave the orders. If i can i would help you with more, you have my full cooperation."

He pointed to some names on the list he already gave them: "Major Faridoon Massoud, he was the leader of the Village raid. From what i know he got ordered back to Seleucid before i fled, and he should know who ordered the raid in the first place. He always claimed that he wore a rings he made from the toddlers he killed that day. If he actually did that and still has them he would literally wear the evidence on his fingers."

Hans shook his head, nodding slowly "I was actually born here..." He tipped with his hand on the desk: "The only one that really felt odd in all these years? i think i saw him as angry protester against the woman you had investigated on TV. i could have sworn that was Colonel Petros Iason, yelling how she should be brought to justice. I  was convinced i just mistook him since it seemed odd that the camps second in command would protest her. But since i am now here, it's worth mentioning."

He shook his head, nodding again:

"As for the mercenaries, you might want to ask Admiral Eidmeier about their work. She is one of Uburzis Regents Prime Advisers these days, but was the last Commander of the Mermaids. She might still have some missions reports from her Predecessor, as the Mercs where the Mermaids. That's how i came to Neu Uburzis, it was their Girlscout Mercenaries."

He nodded slowly:

"Also, now that i think of it. I never knew if she survived, i just assumed she die like most others. She probably wants to know she has a Grandson, if she survived."

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:55 AM »
"Hmm" Chike Tamarua mumbled as he jotted down several details from what was said. "I think I have everything I need for now. I may however, as long as the Detective here allows need to speak to you again." He folded up his notes and slid them into his bag.

"Mister Schneider" Detective Umara began to speak keeping her voice almost robotic. "We are formally putting you under arrest on suspicion of rape, murder and crimes relating to genocide. You will of course be permitted to appoint a legal representative and if you can not find one or afford one then one will be appointed for you." She continued reading him all his rights before two uniformed officers came in. "These men will be taking you to the Hunters Bay Military Prison, we thought it best to place you in their isolation wing for the time being as....well you can imagine if word got out of who you were then your stay may be rather short." she shrugged and the two men motioned for Schneider to stand and place his hands out in front of him.

"Hope their not too tight" The officer had kept the handcuffs rather loose it was clear this man was going to co-operate and the two burly guards would be able to handle him. They lead him out and to the waiting car. The two men sat silently as the car made its way through the city before arriving at a large red brick building, the Barracks. Once inside the camp they crossed through another fence, this one a smaller building made of concrete, the prison itself housing those who had commited crimes while in the military, currently ten prisoners resided there and the most serious crime was punching an officer, the others for loss of equipment or in one case going AWOL. Schneider was strip searched, given a shower, his head shaved and a set of bright pink overalls issued, he was given shoes that where made out of thin plastic like a cheap Croc. "Follow us" the guard lead him down a row of empty cells and to one close to the duty officers desk. "Here you go" the man said rather casually as he showed the man a plain white walled cell, a concrete platform for a bed with a thin rubber mat on top for comfort. A neat pile of a sheet,blanket, pillow and pillow case sat ready the neat folds indicating this was a military prison. In the corner was a stainless steel toilet and a matching sink. The tiny window was high up meaning only someone improbably tall could see through it and a flourescent light hummed as the only sound. "Normally prisoners here would be those who have committed crimes while in the prison but your case is well....special.....so you are permitted to put things on the wall, and after three days of good behaviour we'll give you a radio, seven days a small TV. You can have access to the phone once a day for twenty minutes unless its to your lawyer which case we can make arrangements." The guard handed the man a piece of paper. "That's to write a letter if you wish." Schneider was handed a pencil. "If you tell us what you like to read we can get you some magazines or books too." The man headed for the door. "DInner is in two hours" was the last thing that was said before the heavy steel door slammed shut.

No sooner had the door shut than a voice could be heard through the wall. "Hey.....hey" the voice drifted through the small window and small cracks in the wall. "Soldier....what you in for, who you smack?" The question came. "I'm Jel, Corporal in the 77th, in for assaulting an officer and well......then making a dirty protest." There was chuckles. "Who are you?"

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Neu Uburzis City, Office of Multi-Lawyered Inc.

So far it had been the usual, the morning was preparing paperwork for Clients or Court Hearings. Then a Midday meeting of all Lawyers assigning new Clients or issuing Critic and Praise.

Konstantin Welf had only recently acquired his attorney licence, but got almost right away a job at the prestigious firm due to his specialty in Foreign Law.  So far it had been a rare subject in the Empire overall, but he picked it up to ensure himself a secure Niche position. his coffee was hot and nice, he sipped down some coffee and prepared his evaluation of a Trade conflict.

The boss walked in and slammed a Folder and a Flight ticket on his Desk and that of his Senior colleague Dr. Stefan Coburg, Military law Specialist:

"You two, flight in three hours. Grab a Toothbrush. The Foreign Affairs Office called, a Citizen of the Empire actually was a Seleucid Soldier and has turned himself in. You two deal with that, now go!"

"How bad?" Konstantin asked, fixing his folders, leaving them on the Table after: "Do we have a Testimony already?"

"Are the Seleucid Involved yet? If he was one of theirs and one of our Citizen we might have a case of AWOL." Dr. Coburg added, packing his own Suitcase together: "Airship or Plane?"

"Plane, Business class. Directly going for Hunter's bay." the boss replied: "Don't screw this up, this is big."

Sturmheim, Military Academy, later afternoon:

Julian had jumped into the first express train. His old School had called, saying there's a special issue that needs him attending. More curious made him that the principal mentioned it was one of the new regular students, and none of the convicts.

Julian was lead up to the staircase of the newcomer dorm, he never was in this part of the school, but he felt a bit of glee taking notice that these dorms weren't much better than the convict dorms.

"He's in there" The rector greeted him outside the Staff Room, handing him a letter that the boy had received in the morning:
"He came here last week, rather upset and silent, had signed on his own. Staff already figured something was up when he was just that bit too much of a muster student. If someone obeys he rules too well and signed himself up, he's hiding something. Just read it."

Julian glanced over the letter, shaking his head: "Oh my...."

"He has been holed up in his own room at first, we moved him to the staff." The principal sighed: "Seriously, i don't seem to get rid of you Wingert."

"You made the deal with me." Julian retorted with a smile: "Let's deal with him."

Julian carefully opened the door, sitting down on a chair. Victor's eyes where deep red, he glanced over at Julian with his hands over the head: "Leave me alone." he whimpered, curling up even more than before:

"Do you..." Julian started before victor barked back:

"Leave me!"

Julian sat down, filled a Kettle and started boiling the water:

"Mint or Camoille?"

No reaction. Julian nodded: "Mint it is." he waited, left the boy sulking, preparing the tea.

It took a while, before the boy spoke:

"He's going to kill himself because i yelled at him. He is all i have left!" he glanced over his voice breaking down again: "I'm going to be all alone."

Julian filled two cups: "Carefull, hot." Before sitting down:

"I'm not gonna lie, if he did what he wrote there. Chances are he dies. But that was his decision, not your fault."

"I could have not said a thing!" Victor barked back, glaring at Julian:

"And? It wouldn't change anything. Your Grandfather seemed to know that this day would come. And he's willing to do all he can to protect you now."

"I Just..." Julian shook his head:

"I'll make some phone calls. The Iwi are very throughout with their Trials, so no matter what they aren't going to shoot him to the spot. Stay calm, and well will make sure you can call him once he is in Prison there." The boy wiped his tears dry, nodding:

"Just one thing. I've been in School here long enough. Be ready that it does not go down well with the other Student's that you where crying your eyes out. They won't care you had a damn good reason. Try to get yourself together before dinner, we won't tell anyone yet but prepare this will get out soon."

"Can i see my Grandfather? Somehow?" Viktor glanced to Julian, sipping from his tea:

"I will try and see, to be fair, i get a feeling the Iwi will want to meet you at one point as well. You might have more Relatives than you think after all."

"Yeah, doubt they want to know the Grandson of a Rapist." he added in a pained tone.

"We will find a way."

Julian was later starting to make Phone calls, o Kurt, to the Office of Foreign Affairs. Back in his Principles office, he leaned against a wall:

"I'll stay some days. This will get more complicated than it is, and i am adopted into an Iwi."

The Principal nodded: "Kind of the reason i had you brought here. Would i have known why he came here i would have refused his application."

"How's Waldemar?" Julian tilted his head, glancing out of the Window.

"Aside from his Sore rear for not doing his Homework, a lot more Calm."

Hunter's Bay, Prison

Hans leaned onto the Cell, shaking his head, before answering: "I'm just an old Dog of War."

He took his chance for a Phone call later, asking the Foreign Office for a Lawyer. Maybe he hadn't thought this through after all.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
As Hans was taken from his cell to make his phone call he could see through a tiny vertical Perspex window in the cell doors a face in the next cell watching him. It as the Corporal in the cell next to him and Hans would have seen a look of surprise on his face, he hadn't seen the old man being brought to the cell as he'd been sleeping as that seemed to be pretty much the only recreation open to him, but now he saw him and realised he was not Maori. It set cogs turning and it didn't take long to come to a conclusion about what was the meaning behind the "old dog of war" bit. It could have meant he'd fought in the liberation but there was only one real explanation.

Hans was shown into a room, its walls were bare white except for an old fashioned looking black telephone. "You can have thirty minutes" the guard said as he lifted the handle and pressed a button before handing the receiver to Hans.

"What number?" a voice at the other end of the line asked, it was clear why the telephone set on the wall had no numbers, clearly a way to check who you were phoning and no doubt the call would be monitored. Once the appropriate number had been given Hans heard a series of clicks and buzzes as the number was being inputted and before long it began ringing. A Corporal in an office watched on CCTV while listening to the call.

Once the call was over Hans was returned to his cell, this time as he approached he spoked Jel through the plastic window, he was stripped to the waist, a huge man covered in muscles and tattos, he was standing there stairing at Hans and then as the guards began unlocked Hans cell door he slammed his hand against the door making an almighty noise. He said nothing just pointed at Hans and drew his thumb across his neck.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 04:38:40 PM »
"Yes, they have treated me as good as possible. Considering what i stand trial for that's more than i can expect, victor."

"I expect you to come back alive Gramps." the heavy breathing on the other side of the Line was evident enough the young Cadet had a hard time keeping his feelings down:
"If i just had listened..."

"Nothing would have changed. Maybe you find the rest of your family in the End. There's probably people here that are your relatives. Maybe, jsut maybe even your Grandmother is still alive."

"I don't care Gramps. If they kill you, i want nothing to do with them. Fuck their sense of retribution, if they don't get why i'm angry they don't deserve me pretending otherwise. Please come back. I miss you."

"I can't promise that. I can just try to give you a blank slate for your future, untainted by my mistakes."

"I won't forget you, Gramps."

Hans had been given a call with his Grandson before the first day of the Trial. Not that he expected much today. He and his Lawyers had agreed to stand by the testimony he had already given, and they had given him a clear grim outlook:

"You already gave all Leverage out of hand." was their comment, and they went into bureaucracy mode after. Ensuring he was separated from other prisoners until the trial, ensuring his safety and similar.

Most of the work was there to be done for the Persecution, they hadn't found even a single of the victims left alive so far, but hans waved that off:

"They probably simply didn't come forward with having been part of that, I gave up all the names of the Cerberus members i recalled. They probably have their hands full finding out if anyone stuck around in the commonwealth. I still wonder if the man i pointed out from the protest against Kahurangi Rangatari really was the second in command for the camp. I found that oddly hypocritical even for one of my former superiors."

His lawyer just shook their heads:

"It doesn't matter, and frankly we don't care. this is about your trial." the older of the two said, before the younger intervened:

"Quite the contrary, dear colleague. Our client has shown he tried his best to give peace to those he wronged, by helping to give those criminals who got away a face and a name. That should be worth something."

"I just wish the papers Admiral Eidmeier sent to the court helped. They sold the patrols plans and staff schedules our client gave them to the Iwi Rebells. Apparently to get safe passage without getting bothered, they haven#t been able to find out yet what they have been used for. We can point out he did his best to sabotage the Seleucid back then after he, sort of, switched sides."

"I wouldn't use that term in court. Question is Mr. Schneiders Status, did we get our answer from the Office?"

"They clarified he is officially a citizen of Neu Uburzis, due to his marriage to a Mermaid back then. By our Books he is one of us, so the question if he is a citizen of Seleucid or the Commonwealth is out of the way. I made sure he is referred to as Hans schneider in the Trial."

"Very well, let's go."

Hans and his Laywers arrived in front of the courthouse, with his lawyers peaking to Uburzian Press:

"Our Client wishes for you to not capture any Picture material inside the court room, especially should the persecution have found witnesses of the crimes he has committed. The Security of their Privacy stands higher than the Publics right to knowledge here. This court might not be an Imperial one, but you are Imperial Citizens, act like it. We also would ask you to refrain from contacting the clients Grandson again. The school has set up security measures that no one outside can contact him against his wishes. Good day."

The Courthouse would then be entered, unsure of the journey ahead.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 10:22:38 PM »
The court-room was packed as you'd have expected because of the nature of the trial. At the head of the court sat three judges each wearing a traditional red coat but with the ceremonial Maori cloak swept over their shoulders, the two men had deep black tattoos etched across their face while the woman had her chin marked, all signs of the high regard the three people who would determine the outcome of the trial were held in by their Iwi's. It was Ikaba Ratahma who would chair the case, a 52 year old judge whose right eye bore a scar beneath it from where a knife had cut him when in detention. He waited for everyone to be settled into the court-room before banging the heavy stone block he used as a gavel. "We shall begin. This is trial number 0004 in the series of Occupational Crimes Cases. The case is one of Hans Schneider Versus the Unified Iwi. He faces a series of charges." The judge proceeded to read out a list ranging from murder, to rape, to kidnapping, to more general crimes against humanity.

"Before we begin Your Honour" Chike Tamarua the prosecution lawyer stood. " If it pleases the court I would like to approach the bench with my colleague." a gesture towards the defence lawyer was made and the judges nodded. Chike and his opponent made their way up to the judges bench. "In light of the nature of this case I would like to ask for the defendent to be tried as a member of an Iwi."

"This is most interesting" Ratahma said with a seemingly pleased expression, he had suspect this to be a rather run of the mill case from what he'd been told. "Please feel free to explain." his pen hovered at a ready.

"Mr.Schneider has a child with a Maori woman, now whether it was rape or concentual you will determine in due course, but tribal tradition draws no distinction between children born out of wedlock and those in it. Mr.Schneider by fathering a child with a Maori becomes part of the mother's Iwi. Our research has discovered that the woman would have likely come from the Ngāti Porou Iwi. With that in mind I have taken the liberty of inviting Chief Tama Roimata here."

The judge thought for a moment, being tried as a member of an Iwi meant that when it came to sentencing things would be able to be slightly different, it was the case of taking a life damaged the spiritual power of an Iwi and so if a convict was connected to an Iwi the punishment would perhaps need to be tempered, unless of course the Chief exercised his option of exiling them from the tribe first. " Why would you bring this option forward, after all it makes the death penalty less likely?" the judge was rather curious.

"Mr.Schneider has been most co-operative with our investigations and his help may lead to some much bigger.....fish....being captured and brought to justice. Added to this he has submitted voluntarily to a court system he knew little of except his likely punishment. I think at times we should be sure to see justice is reasonable." The judge did kind of agree with this point and so nodded. "I shall ask, if the Chief agrees then you may ask Mr.Schneider." The judge instructed the defence council.

Tama Roimata was already briefed by Chike Tamarua and as the judge gave a discreet signal the mountain of a chief stood. "I am Chief Tama Roimata of the Ngāti Porou Iwi and I claim  Viktor Schnieder, son of Arataki Tuakanaoruru as a member of my Iwi going back two generations." The claim was enough that if Viktor accepted then his grand-father would be accepted too if he wished. The Chief his civic duty done to an old friend took his seat really not caring one way or another what the foreign child said, if he wished to know about his Maori heritage then Tama would welcome him like a long lost cousin, if he refused he wouldn't lose any sleep. The judge asked Viktor if he accepted (OOC- Not sure if he's in court, if he is imagine he's asked outright, if not that a phone call is made while the court has a 30minute recess) once a decision had been received they could ask Hans if he accepted membership, assuming Viktor would. After that the court could find out how Hans would plead.

"Mr.Schneider, on the charges presented against you how would you like to plead?" the judge asked finally.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »
Viktor had gone back to class after the call with his Grandfather, it was a good enough distraction to not get detention that kept him from thinking too much about the trial. It was about the second lesson for the day when he got called to the principals office, Julian and the Principle waiting for him, giving Viktor a Brief run down of the changed situation.

He sat down, he wanted to jump at the chance at first, but. was that really right?

"I mean... " before Julian waved off: "First and foremost Julian, your Grandfather would have to make the call himself as well. So right now, what do you want?"

"I mean, i don't really want anything to do with them if they kill Gramps but..."

he took a deep breath: "I'll accept. I'm a proud Uburzian and i won't take the easy way and flinch now." though the thirteen year old's voice shivered, Julian and the Principal both nodded in agreement, before handing him the Phone:

"This is Viktor Schneider, Grandson of Hans Schneider. I'd be honored to be part of the Ngāti Porou Iwi, and accept."

Handing the Phone back he dried his eyes: "I wish dad knew."

Hans tried to keep his composure as good as he could, but each time a new point from the list of charges was read out, it felt like a dagger piercing his chest. It had been so long that he left the man behind that did all this, but right now, he saw the arrogant young soldier in his own reflection as if it happened yesterday.

He had not expected to be tried as part of an iwi, and as the lawyers layed down the option, tears ran down his face. He did not deserve this, but at the same time, he had to think about Viktor as well. He knew the boy wouldn't reconcile with this part of his family if hans refused.

"If Viktor wants to be part of the Iwi, then i will accept as well." though tears ran down his face, as he silently dried them. He had no right for tears, not in front of the people he had hurt.

"I plead guilty to the Raping of dozens of women, and one child. I plead guilty to assisting the Murder of three children as part of our Orders when attacking a Village. I Plead Guilty of assisting in Murder of those interred in the camp i was stationed as guardsman through omission, i plead guilty for assisting in the kidnappings of Iwi members as guardsman of the camp. I was a proud Seleucid Soldier, and i am ashamed of that."

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
The court case was at least going to be short seeing as the accused had pleaded guilty on all counts. The court was dismissed for a 24 hour period during which time Hans was kept in confinement at the cells at the court, he was permitted visitors and among them was his Maori legal adviser and the chief Tama Roimata. The pair sat with Hans, "You must expect some form of physical punishment" Tama began, "The crimes you've admitted to are seriously damaging to tepu, or spiritual energy. What is in your favour however is that you've admitted to it and already gone some way to make amends on the situation by helping the investigation into the crimes and people.  You should though at your age maybe resign yourself to never seeing home again."

The next day the judge took their seat and looked at the masses of notes they'd been making. "For the crime of rape you have confessed your guilt. It is therefore the decision of the court that you shall be castrated. For the crime of assisting in Murder you have confessed your guilt. It is therefore the decision of the court that you shall be sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment. For the crime of kidnap you have confessed your guilt. It is therefore the decision of the court that you shall be sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. For the crime of assisting in the murder of prisoners you have confessed your guilt. It is therefore the decision of the court that you shall receive 10,000 strikes from the shaft of a Taiaha[1] Due to your co-operation with the investigation against your former comrades in arms these strikes shall be delivered over the course of your 25 year prison sentence, therefore meaning one strike per day of your sentence with the rate increased to two a day for the first 869 days. The two jail sentences shall take place consecutively" The sentences read out the judge waited for a short while. "You shall have 14 days to lodge an appeal against these sentences and punishment shall not begin until after that period."

1. a long spear with a long flexible wooden shaft that is flat on two sides.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
As the Chief had approached him, Hans shook his head: "No, you got this wrong. Neu Uburzis was my Chosen exile, and it is my Grandsons home. Me? I am home right now, after decades of hiding. Home to pay for what i have done to it, and lift the burden i placed on my family. And it seems, to pay my debts to my now Brothers and Sisters."

Hans took a deep breath upon hearing the verdict, Part of him wished it would have been the Death sentence instead, but his guts told him that Justice had to be served. He nodded to his Lawyers who stood up: "Our Client accepts the sentence, and will not appeal."

Hans stood up, and made his way outside the Courthouse, some Press from back home waiting:

"I'm a raping to get his Balls cut off." He stated to them, shaking his head: "I want to make one thing very clear, to the Nations out there and to my second home Neu Uburzis. This was my choice. I came here, to face my mistakes, and stand trial for them. And i stand here, to reap the results of my past actions. Do not hold this against the Iwi, who are now my brothers and sisters that i have shamefully wronged in the Past. Today is a day of justice, and i can say proudly, that i have to thank Neu Uburzis for teaching me the Value of Honor in a new Light over all these Years."

"You are right, today, you face justice." A speaker blasted a voice distorted by over amplification across the courthouse frontyard. A shot was fired. People ran as the Police evacuated. Hans Schneider slumped together, blood all over him, as a gaping hole in his chest was where his heart should have been.

A man even older than Hans waited for the Police to arrive at the rooftop, he sat their with a rolling walker and an almost ancient sniper rifle in hand:

"Bastard shot my Son in the back of the head, and the one Time i wished for you guys to kill one of my Countrymen you let him go off easy." the man coughed on his chair, glaring at the forces:

"You guys better run." holding up a cooked Handgranate.

Viktor sat there motionless, his Grandfather had just died in front of running cameras, while he watched it helplessly from across the world back at this school. He felt alone, vulnerable. Tears ran down his face but he found not the words. So many things he still wanted to tell him, to share with his Grandfather. Gone.

Julian Wingert pulled the boy to him, allowing Viktor to clamp down around his shoulders as the yelling in anguish started. Even the Principal seemed shell shocked for once.