Author Topic: Finalizing Relations (Ach-Seaforth)  (Read 2617 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Finalizing Relations (Ach-Seaforth)
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:58:28 PM »

To King Andrew,

A few months ago you and I met with the aim of formalizing relations between our two nations post CIS. However it does occur to me that despite that meeting and various discussions between ourselves at the time we never did actually finalize the relationship in the formal sense, with that in mind I'd like to propose we take that step by reviewing what we agreed to, adding to it as we believe we should and then signing it. On this occasion I believe I can spare you the trouble of a flight up north as I'm spending some time in East Moreland at Highwick Manor while Serenity continues her rehab following her serious injury. I look forward to your response.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: Finalizing Relations (Ach-Seaforth)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:07:02 PM »

Emperor Peter Azurewind,

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a testament to the strong relationship between our nations that we were able to continue along in peace and prosperity without a signed document to fall back upon. A mutual respect hard earned, I think. I will make preparations for a stay at my East Moreland estate, Falkenrith Lodge, and will be happy to meet you at Highwick Manor at your convenience.

Regards,

King Andrew III of Seaforth

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:18 AM »
There were times it was good to get away from the near persistent chill of the north, not that it mattered much to the Achkaerinese they'd long since adapted to the weather of their homeland but a change was always a welcome thing. Highwick was somewhere special when it came to Achkaerinese Royal Residences - it was arguably the most private residence because it was the one outside Achkaerinese territory, and it did get a lot of use usually in the days immediately after the Festival of Sail or when there was something else going on in the Illumic area or on Alba Karinya. Today was one such occasion.

Peter was waiting around in the garden, so far it hadn't really been an urgent kind of a day which was something of an oddity considering a handful of situations across Mundus that he could think of. Not that that had stopped the information flow and on that note here the next batch came courtesy of his foreign affairs advisor Nettie Taylor

"The latest updates." Nettie said handing Peter a piece of paper
"When's my next briefing?" Peter asked
"After you've seen King Andrew." Nettie said "And remember."
"I know I know." Peter said with half a smile, he glanced at his watch it was almost time for their guests to arrive and he was hopeful of a positive meeting and a lasting relationship with Seaforth for many generations to come.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:03 PM »

King Andrew was shown into the gardens of Highwick. As it was his first time at the Achkaerin Imperial Residence he took his time admiring the home and grounds as he was led back to Emperor Peter. It was also the first time he had occasion to use Falkenrith Lodge since Joshua turned it over to him. As he caught sight of the Emperor he smiled and shook hands with the man warmly. As Emperor Peter offered him a chair, Andrew removed a box from under his arm and placed it on the table.

"A little of Somerset's best. No Imperial Residence is complete without it." Said Andrew, winking as he did so.

"Our last meeting was quite productive unfinished as it was. It's time to rectify that. Though before we get to the meat of it I have two mentions to make. The first is, Dear Cousin Harper has been racking up quite alot of frequent flyer miles to your country. I wonder why..." Smiled Andrew slyly.
"Our dossier on Mr. Lawson is quite complete and officially...The Kingdom of Seaforth has no issue or comment regarding the matter. Unofficially I have never seen her more happy. For that I am glad. The second mention I have is that it is my sad duty to report to you that that miserable bastard Brook is alive and well and is in excellent physical shape as per his last medical evaluation."

"Now with those two little tidbits out of the way I belive we were here..."

1) The Parties agree to maintain active embassies with each other and to make their ambassador available to the other within 24 hours of a request being made.

2)  Nations agree to visa free travel so far as the following conditions are met

a) The traveller has a pre-booked return ticket
b) The traveller does not stay more than 60 days
c) The traveller has no prior criminal convictions
d) The traveller is not deemed a threat to national security

3) The Parties agree to take all reasonable steps to settle disputes that arise between through peaceful means including third party arbitration.

4) The Parties agree to respect the commitments and obligations of each other in respect of multi-national treaties and conventions.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »
"Yes we'd agree the basics in terms of ambassadors and travel." Peter said refreshing his memory with a glance over a piece of paper detailing the wording on it, "If memory serves I believe we'd discussed but not framed a trading relationship of some description. Which I suppose is where we should start. If I recall correctly I believe it was either yourself or Harper who suggested it so I believe it only appropriate that I let you suggest how such a trading relationship be worded."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:32:58 PM »
"Ah, yes. I would like to see tariffs between our nations removed, over a period of one year. As you mentioned previously, that is a road we have gone down before with our membership in the CIS. I am also curious as to your thoughts regarding WAIT and a possible economic union there."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:28 PM »
"To be honest when I look at WAIT I find myself looking at an organisation that seems to be having an identity crisis. There's no apparent coherent idea of what the organisation is there to do, the only thing I've read is something to do with a phone network and honestly that's something that already exists, if we're talking getting a message to the right people then there are ways of doing that without having to waste a lot of money on something that has no value beyond symbolism. Speaking personally I'm also not a fan of it being restricted to just the west of the continent, surely if you're going to try and get something like continental cooperation going it should be open to all the nations on the continent? And it occurs to me that an economic union could be the basis for that. But first decisions regarding how to employ it need to be made." Peter said

"As for what you say in terms of the tariff's I believe a year to phase them out is both prudent and acceptable."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »

Andrew found himself nodding in agreement with Peter's assessment of WAIT.

"I think it could be more that what is proposed. As is, I see little value in it so far. I have a rough draft here of our treaty. Owing to our long friendship both in and out of the CIS, I have added a mutual defense clause. Our brave men and women have fought side by side several times and I would see that relationship continue. Do you have anything else you would see added?"

With that, Andrew looked over his notes and presented a rough draft for Emperor Peter's viewing.

Section I - Diplomacy

(1) The parties agree to maintain active embassies with each other. If summoned an ambassador shall present themselves to the host government within twenty four hours of the summons.

(2)  Nations agree to visa free travel so far as the following conditions are met

Section II - Trade

(3) The parties pledge to trade fairly with each other and to respect the lawful commerce of each party. To that end, each party agrees to the removal of tarrifs, to be phased out over the period of one year.

Section III - Security

(4) An armed attack on one party shall be considered an attack on both parties.

(5) The parties agree to share military intelligence that is believed to be in the interest of the safety and security of the other, so long as doing so does not compromise the safety or security of themselves.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »
Peter reached inside his jacket pocket and took out a pen

"Normally when it comes to treaties I find myself crossing things out with a good red pen" Peter said "Makes a change to give the green one that I use to make additions a run out." it was a habit picked up from evenings of watching Renee mark various pieces of work from her students.

Section I - Diplomacy

(1) The parties agree to maintain active embassies with each other. If summoned an ambassador shall present themselves to the host government within twenty four hours of the summons.

(2) The parties agree to visa free travel so far as the following conditions are met

(3) The parties agree to extradite criminal suspects if they are presented with reasonable evidence and are assured that torture (as per article 4 of the MCUR) will not be used to extract evidence and that the accused will get a fair trial (article 7 MCUR). The parties shall not be obliged to extradite to the death penalty.

(4) The Parties agree to settle any dispute arising between themselves through diplomatic channels and failing that through third party arbitration.

Section II - Trade

(5) The parties pledge to trade fairly with each other and to respect the lawful commerce of each party. To that end, each party agrees to the removal of tariffs, to be phased out over the period of one year.

Section III - Security

(6) An armed attack on one party shall be considered an attack on both parties. Neither party shall be under an obligation to aid the other should the other party be the aggressor in the conflict.

(7) The parties agree to share military intelligence that is believed to be in the interest of the safety and security of the other, so long as doing so does not compromise the safety or security of themselves.

(8) The parties agree to an annual exchange of thirty military officers (rotating between Army, Navy and Air Force) each exchange shall last for a three month period.

(9) The Parties agree to coordinate patrols of the Great Northern Ocean to ensure the security of those waters.

Section IV - Science and Culture

(10) The Achkaerin Space Agency shall train aspiring Seaforthian Astronauts, 50% of the training costs to be borne by the relevant Seaforthian authority.

(11) Seaforth shall in oceanic explorations work with the Centre of Oceanic Research And Learning (CORAL), 50% of the costs of the projects involving CORAL personnel to be borne by the relevant Achkaerinese authority.

(12) The Parties shall work to establish a twinning program between schools of their respective nations and encourage interaction between twinned schools.

"How does that look to you?" Peter asked "I agree with what you said about the mutual defence clause and I've clarified that as was the case with the CIS that neither of us would be obliged to support the other militarily if the other had instigated a conflict. I've then as was the case in the past suggested an exchange of military officers because that in my opinion was the greatest illustration of why the CIS forces worked so well together because we knew how each other operated. To ensure we don't have a repeat of the Brook issue I've proposed an extradition agreement between our nations, I also believe that playing to our strengths in the scientific arena is better than treading on each others toes so better to work together than against each other so while Achkaerin looks at the stars, Seaforth looks at the depths, we put your aspiring astronauts in space and you help our ocean researchers."