Author Topic: Four Artists, Some Sponsors, One Prize  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Four Artists, Some Sponsors, One Prize
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:51:53 AM »

To Name(OOC - Assume personal invites addressed to artists, galleries, collectors etc. Also assume this would be an annual event but may or may not be in terms of RP)

It's once again the time of year where Achkaerin crowns the winner of Young Artist of the Year, we have four highly talented finalists this year in Sẹnaid Hastings, Callum Jarvis, Harry Allen and Steven Clarke each of whom will vie for the prize of a special Royal Commission and exhibition. In a change to previous years when your good self would have been invited to visit at the same time as the finalists exhibitions were open to the public it has been decided that this year we shall on the day of the judging lay on a private showing for you. Should you wish to take up this invitation please make your way to the Royal Art Gallery in Valtheim. We hope to see you there and hope that you will take this opportunity to share your experience and encouragement with our four finalists.

From

Amelia Whitaker
Patron of Young Artist of the Year

The Royal Art Gallery sat in a rather odd section of the Achkaerinese capital of Valtheim, it was quite central but there were no busy roads near it so it was almost like it was in the countryside an image assisted by it's position inside the boundaries of Aurora Park but not so assisted by the silouettes of the buildings encroaching over the perimeter of the park. The Gallery itself was spacious inside and had a history going back around three hundred years but had undergone an expansion and renovation within the last decade, today four of the eight exhibition wings were being handed over to the finalists to showcase their own work, the winner would get to design a new grand exhibition that would last a few months. Amelia Whitaker walked around the ground floor entrance area, she was better known for her fashion business than an art patron, she was doing the mental checklist Harry and Callum had two of the ground floor spaces, Steven and Sẹnaid were on the first floor, she'd quite enjoyed going around the four exhibits and was quite happy that all she had to do was announce the winner, she didn't have a role in choosing the winner good thing too because she couldn't choose between them. She noticed that her fashion business partner in crime Sam Baxter was loitering around, Sam had had to stand in for Amelia three years previously at this event and after an evening's worth of 'never again' ranting had come back the following year with Amelia and enjoyed it so much so that it was now a highlighted, circled and underlined date on the calendar.

"Can't call it this year." Sam said "Normally you can tell, normally there's one standout piece but this years the closest I can remember."
"It sure is." Amelia said "I think that's why the Committee changed up the viewing day for the VIP's. Get them in when the artists are here, make the next steps. Four talented artists all looking for sponsors and work opportunities."
"Think it'll work?" Sam asked
"I hope so." Amelia said

As for the four finalists well they were in different areas of the gallery Callum Jarvis was doing an interview for the media, all the finalists had been asked to do a spot and it was his turn, it wasn't anything surprising just some fairly routine questions about themselves and their style of art. Harry Allen was pacing around the wing where his exhibition was in a mixture of eagerness and anxiety, he was getting a tad impatient and wanted the show to get on the road. Steven Clarke, the youngest of the four finalists, was having lunch in the cafe area of the gallery's ground floor he wasn't as stressed as the other two boys (his parents more than making up for that) he was enjoying a conversation with the only female finalist Sẹnaid Hastings who sat across the table from Steven drinking some water to steady her own nerves, they had about ten minutes before they'd have to go and get ready for what was to come this was certainly the calm before the storm.

Amelia's stopwatch clicked down to zero it was time...

OOC - very brief explanation there are four artists each of whom will ICly be wanting to win the competition. Your role should you want to join in is to play the art lover, collector, sponsor etc who's been invited to view the exhibitions ideally at the end of this all four finalists will have something to do next as it were. Just two rules 1) If you do want to buy a piece of art do check with me as to what the piece is and 2) Do try to be fair to all four of the finalists in terms of keeping them busy. Otherwise just turn up and have fun.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Four Artists, Some Sponsors, One Prize
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
"Go on your own......it'll be fun they said." Jocelyn Hopkins was on her first official overseas visit at the East Moreland Royal Artist in Residence and as such had been expected to abide by King David's style of travel, minimal and in this case that meant Jocelyn and that was all. She was someone who preferred to blend into the background and that was why she'd loved Emperor Orions pre-coronation dinner, King David had been the centre of attention for the Morelanders and she'd simply ridden on his coat tails. She's enjoyed her trips with David and perhaps thought had things been slightly different she could have found herself in a romantic relationship with him but then the pressure of being in that position had frightened her and so instead she'd spent more and more time at her little art shop in Silverhills before landing her current job, which until today she loved. She was also pleased that while travelling light she also had seemingly fulfilled a tradition Morelanders enjoyed, being the first to arrive anywhere and so this made her awkwardness even more pronounced. She went and signed in letting the hosts know she'd arrived and set about having a wander around the gallery taking in the sights. She'd been tasked with being a prescence at the cultural event to represent the Kingdom but also had some cash on her "Work Credit" card put aside for bringing back something for the National gallery in Northfort. She found someone looking official and figured just to cut to the chase. "Hi, I'm Jocelyn Hopkins, I'm looking for something that screams "I'm from Achkaerin" and that is huge." She figured it was a rather specific request and waited to see what suggestions came her way.

Offline Persephone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Griss Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »
Quin shook her head in annoyance. She was flanked on either side by a Castrate and a Knight-Enchanter. The Castrate, Yurik, was wearing the black and white robes of his office. Since Quin came to court, Yurik had become her body servant. This meant that he basically controlled her life- when to wake up, what clothes to wear, what lesson to go to, what to eat. It was maddening. He even told her what she should be studying for in her free time.

The Achkaerinese letter had been a curious incident. No doubt sent as a formality, there was no reason for any Nitehymn to come to an unknown country for an art award. Quin instantly knew this was her one chance. She had begged Niru for days to come. Ever since Niru had adopted her, she'd been stuck in Novox. No contact with the outside world. It had been maddening. Niru had always reasoned that Quin couldn't leave Novox until she understood the etiquette of her station. But in a foreign land it didn't matter. And she wasn't allowed to participate at court because of her lack of court and political knowledge. But if there was one thing Quin knew it was art. Niru had no feet to stand on, and eventually she begrudgingly agreed. But there were two caveats, firstly the trip would be kept quiet. Secondly, Yurik would come too. Quin knew better than to argue, it was the only way Niru would accept. Yurik would insure that proper decorum was followed to the letter. Quin's face grew hot just thinking about it. She hadn't agreed to any of this. She never asked Niru to come and adopted her. She was living perfectly fine before she knew she was part of the Omega Bloodline.

Her other traveling companion was Knight-Enchanter Vosin. The Knight-Enchanters were a strange group, a mix between priests and soldiers. They served the Inquisition, meaning they belonged to the church. Niru had made a special partition for a Knight-Enchanter to guard Quin on this trip. Normally guardianship of the Omega Bloodline fell to the Imperial Blades. While the politics of this unusual situation were lost on Quin, they weren't back home. At first glance Vosin would not appear to be anything out of the ordinary, he was dressed in a smart grey suit. But further inspection would reveal just how muscular he was. His shirt and pants almost looked as though they might pop if he were to stretch in the wrong way. Quin knew almost nothing about him. He had been completely silent the whole plane ride over, in fact he spent most of it asleep. Not exactly the best bodyguard in Quin's mind.

The trio spent into the Royal Art Gallery and looked around, unsure of where to begin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:35:00 PM by Persephone »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »
Jocelyn had had a bit of luck she'd spoken to Doctor Robert Howcroft an Art lecturer from the Achkaerin University of Art and Culture and a man who worked a fair amount with the CETO. As a man familiar with the art world Robert recognized the Morelander artist.

"Ms Hopkins, I'm Robert Howcroft it's good to meet you." Robert said, he thought for a moment about Jocelyn's request "Well having seen the finalists work they all to some extent express ideas of national identity, off the top of my head you should probably talk to Sẹnaid Hastings her exhibition is in the twilight room on the first which is to the right as you go up the stairs, ask about a piece titled Gifts of the Goddesses or perhaps The Lover's Duel. Alternatively there's Harry Allen his exhibition is in the Rose gallery on this floor just over there." he paused to point out the direction to Jocelyn "He has a piece the name of which I believe is Harmony that may be what you're looking for. But please feel free to talk to our budding artists they may surprise you and I'm sure meeting someone such as yourself would be a great honour for them."

Amelia had noticed the other group of people that had entered the gallery a rather intriguing trio by the looks of it, a young girl, a man wearing black and white robes and another man in a suit not being completely familiar with who she was dealing with here made Amelia slightly anxious unsure of the customs if any that the visitors would expect. Still though she walked over to the group noticing the body language of the two men that told her the girl was the lead player and that also told her she was dealing with someone who either had or one day would have a level of responsibility within another nation, so making a good first impression was now order of the day.

"Hello I'm Amelia Whitaker I'm the patron of the Young Artist of the Year Award." Amelia said with a warm, welcoming smile "You seem a little lost can I help at all?"

Offline Persephone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Griss Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:51:23 PM »
Quin smiled at Amelia and quickly spoke before Yurik could say anything. "Hiya, I'm Quin, we're part of a delegation from Orphela. And yes, we're a little lost. It's our first time out of the country. Can be quiet disorienting. Oh and the plane ride was brutal. Ugh, I truly didn't understand the pain of a long plane ride till now. But you know how it is, ignorance is bless."

As Quin spoke, Yurik's face became increasingly red. "Pardon me, but decorum must be followed. This is Crystal Princess Quin, heir to Omega Bloodline, the ruling family of the Imperium." He smiled broadly at Amelia before turning harshly toward the Princess. And whispered a little too loudly, "you are here as a representative of the Nitehymn, remember the manners of your station." He turned again to Amelia and smiled far too widely. Quin yawned in annoyance.

"Yes, Ms. Whitaker, could you tell us a little bit about the exhibition? I'm very curious to see the artwork, foreign art is a bit of a rarity back home. A cause of our long standing isolation." As Quin spoke, Yurik placed his hand on her back, forcing her to straighten her posture. She rolled her eyes and smiled thinly.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:06 AM »
Jocelyn ventured off to explore, why couldn't people just make things simple point her to one person, one piece of work then she could get the official business over with and get down to actually enjoying the art work. She headed off to find out about these "Gifts of the Goddess" it took her a while to find the Rose gallery and its budding artist, after all there had been so much else to look at as she'd wandered the halls and having taken a detour to another gallery was sure she'd passed some things twice. She even wandered past a young woman getting hissed at by an older woman and was sure she'd heard the word Crystal Princess as she'd passed them by. Perhaps as Royal Artist in Residence she should try and speak to them later, "soft diplomacy" King David called it, or at least she thought that was the case. Soon however she found Sẹnaid. "Hi, I'm Jocelyn and I'm here from East Moreland." She introduced herself. "Now I've heard some things about the Goddesses Gift or something, I was wondering if you could show it me."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 01:03:38 AM »
Orion had been wearing a pair of huge sunglasses and formal suit, trying not to gather to much attention before arriving. They where a tad bit late due to flight schedules but he managed to arrive after all:

"Go find something nice, and get something for the Palace collection..." he mumbled to himself as he recalled what Albrecht had told him.

The artists here where winners, and when it comes to be artistic, way beyond his own league. Not to mention the teeny bit of an issue that they didn't formally announced the art collector would be the emperor, making the whole affair an unofficial state visit.
Taking of his glasses and getting his suits fly straight the emperor but the golden wreath on his head and took off the sunglasses, assuming his role. Trailed by two bodyguards in the immediate vicinity he trailed over to Harry Allen's part of the Exhibition, trying to sneak past Miss Whiteaker in the Process. He just wanted to look at the Art before people came running and bugging him.

He caught a glimpse of Jocelyn passing up to the second floor, as he blushed slightly. So many people with a lot more idea what they where doing.

He ended up looking at harmony, tilting his head trying to understand the idea behind the piece.

"So why Harmony? Huh." he kinda mumbled half loud to himself, with the Bodyguards being close by observing their emperor as if he was the art piece.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
Sẹnaid was slightly taken by surprise, like all the finalists she'd known that it was possible for people from across Mundus to come and talk to them but she hadn't expected this. Eventually composing herself she smiled slightly nervously at Jocelyn and led the Morelander over to where the piece she'd asked about was. At first glance it probably didn't look like anything other than a large metal plate of a canvas but when Sẹnaid ran her hand underneath it she triggered the motion sensor that dimmed the light revealing that all across the canvas as it were there were indentations and scratches the picture etched into the plate. The background was dominated by three female figures each representing one of the three Goddesses in the Achkaerinese faith, then there were nine smaller figures in front of the three goddess figures to those who knew Achkaerin's history there were nine great houses the Azurewind's, Ayanami's, Elsif's, Amberbrook's, Silvermist's, Leonidas's, Gliss's, Alleine's and the Ravenswood's, these were the nine families who had prior to the days of Empire controlled the lands that made up Achkaerin and though it wasn't obvious which was which, in truth it didn't matter, it was clear what the representation was for as each figure had a connection to the central Goddess figure. The foreground however was even more interesting, if this had been a painting rather than an etching it would be the light to the darker colour of the background, because the thread that connected the goddess to the nine figures continued through those figures to a nine tailed fox in the foreground, an animal that had place on the Achkaerinese flag, each of the nine threads becoming a tail for the fox. There was quite a menagerie of other animals in the foreground around the fox as well, the bear, the eagle, the wolf, there was even a honeybadger in there. Sẹnaid had essentially sought to convey the gift of entrusting the desires of the Achkaerinese Goddess's across time.

"It's a piece I had a lot of fun putting together." Sẹnaid said with another sheepish smile.

Harry had been trying to stay relaxed in his gallery when he heard Orion's mutterings so he went over and introduced himself before explaining the piece.

"It's called harmony because it's a fusion of colour normally when we use paint you get stark contrasts between colours and sharpness. I tend to use spray paints when I'm working so it's a lot harder for me to be as accurate as the other three finalists when I paint to composition so I have to be a little more freeform." he said "What you can see is a central female figure dressed in dark blue playing the violin and then you have the music stanza's spiralling out from the instrument in all directions with the notes quite apparent. The background is a melding of different colours that look softer when put together because they overlap rather than having their own areas drawn by lines." he wasn't entirely sure he'd explained the meaning of the piece adequately but he'd see what this young man said

Amelia smiled at Quin so this was the heir to Orphela was it? Another nation emerging from isolation was never a bad thing, that also explained the nerves Amelia would be willing to bet that Quin wasn't used to trips abroad.

"Of course." Amelia said "This exhibition is the culmination of the Young Artist of the Year competition, which is one of several national competitions Achkaerin has that is orientated around young people. The competition as a whole takes many months and sees us over a number of rounds whittle the competitors down from however many start the contest to the final four, which brings us to today. Usually during the competition we ask for one piece of art that represents a theme, we up that to three when we get to the final sixteen but we're still asking for a themed piece at that point, this exhibition as it's the final four is a bit different because there is no set theme it's completely up to the finalists what they do both in terms of amount and theme because it's about best showcasing their abilities. In amongst the visiting crowd today we have several judges the identity of whom we keep secret they tour the four exhibitions and listen to those invited to view the exhibitions at some point this afternoon they will make a decision and I am told who I am announcing as the winner." she paused for a moment "As you've said you'd like to see some art would you like a tour?"

Offline Kopsje

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abuqiya
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
The realm of Achkaerin was a land most within Abuqiya had never truly thought of. The so called winter empire laying so far to the north many within Abuqiya would probably not even now it existed. Truly it was a what could be called a winter wonderland, the imagination of those who dared wonder hardly doing justice to the nation. The crystalline glistening white snow and forign yet exhilarating chill of cool air was an all too familiar sight and feeling to Parvaneh. Yet it all still seemed so exotic failing to loose its entrancing properties each time she was graced with arriving in these lands. The Annual pilgrimage to Valthiem was perhaps one of Parvaneh's most treasured excursions, each year imposing an increasingly flourishing appreciation for the arts, masterful creations of the young artists, and the awe at such talent that was present each.

In truth her first invitation to the event had hardly piqued her interest. While it was true she was what could be considered a patron of the arts she was not exactly artistic herself. It was a talent she admired but could never seem to engage in herself. Something that had internally torment her to great lengths. Still on a whim perhaps conjured by obligation or boredom she had allowed herself to read the contents of the first invitation, subsequently enduring the grueling process foreign travel and planning and braved the discomfort of a climate and country so foreign to her it had caused her illness on her first journey. Yet she would have done it all again in a heartbeat. So she did.

This would be her fifth year partaking in the event, and despite setting aside nearly a week of her time to enjoy the metropolis of Valthiem she had yet to truly familiarise herself with the city. Each trip had opened up new avenues of exploration, new surprises around each corner, and certainly new acquaintances and friends to be had. Certainly Azhiran had guided her to a treasure trove of adventure and excitement in the Holy Empire. Prior to making her way towards the Royal Art Gallery, Parvaneh had allowed herself an hour to prepare and groom herself. To her own disappoint it seemed to be the only true artistic ability she possessed. She had decided to dawn the typical attire of her homeland, perhaps from a feeling of homesickness or maybe as a means of representing the fabric based artistry Abuqiya was known for. Either way she carefully fitted the large semi loose fitting dress, a culmination of meticulous movements wrapping the fabric around herself to emulate the shape of a dress. Finished at last she observed her work in the mirror hoping the green satin dress accented by silver colored embroidery would complement her appearance. in addition shw wrapped a head scarves around her hair ensuring to conceal all of it. There was really no mistaking her for anything but a foreigner, her caramel brown skin, and dark brown eyes a clear contrast to the more common features of this land.

Now Parvaneh had found herself at the entrance to the Royal Art Gallery, once again admiring the architectural beauty that comprised the exterior of the edifice. She allowed a smile to stretch across her face illustrating her excitement for this years exhibitions, and a sense of familiarity as if she had reached her home away from home. Soaking in the architectural design of the building for a few moments more, Parvaneh allowed herself to approach the entrance. It was here the sixty year old waited for a few moments hoping to meet the familiar face of either Amelia Whitaker or Robert Howcroft. Two individuals she had come to see as friends, fellow enthusiasts.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
"Have you tried making larger pieces?" Orion tilts his head slightly, before quickly readjusting as his wreath began to slip:

"I mean you should get the best of both worlds. The scale allows you to use the spray to full extend while trivializing the inaccuracy on small parts." Orion crossed his arms nibbling on his lower lip:
"Still, i like it. It's not giving off the harsh and divided, almost purist vibe other modern pieces give off. I think Harmony fits quite well, especially blending in with the musical theme."

Orion took several steps back, then back closer to the piece: "I think she's playing a lullaby. "What was your intention for her Piece, Mister Allen?"

His Bodyguards where constantly on their guard, signing each other to the movements of people approaching him. They already where informed that a tweet had gone out by another visitor with a snap of Orion, asking people who the boy in the suit with the odd wreath was. Not too long and it should explode that the Emperor was attending.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »
OOC- Apologies that it's been a while, various RL issues contributed and other RP's buried this one a little. Persephone if you're still in this feel free to replace Niru with someone from Nyx if you want. And anyone else still wanting to turn up jump in.

Harry had to think for a moment when Orion posed his questions, that and he was still a little surprised to be talking to a Head of State, thirteen year old with a wreath? Seriously who else was it going to be other than Orion?

"I was thinking more along the lines of a folk song, but the beauty of music especially instrumental music is that regardless of style it is a message 'spoken' by the performer to the listener." Harry said "Larger stuff is something I'm working my way up to, maybe for my next piece I'll try something bigger."

Elsewhere Robert had noticed Parvaneh and across a slightly more crowded room indicated the nearest refreshment stand it was probably the best place to start for the day.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »
Orion nodded slowly: "Didn't end to well last time i tried to use Spray techniques. My mother was furious saying that it doesn't befit a royal to use street urchin tools. I'm glad that the rest of the Art world is more open minded."

Orion fiddled with his Phone for a moment, scribbling done a note: Nice Painting, should have made it bigger. Would look good in the Piano room.

"Thank you for your Time, I'll take a look at the other contestants work now. Best of Luck."

Orion took a deep breath, he was really hoping he seemed professional enough. Not like a little kid in a candy store, because with the art he sure felt like one.

Sneaking back upstairs, Orion tried to avoid any too official looking people as best as he could, stumbling into Steven Clarke's exhibition he crinched internally as his presence split the room like the red sea was split in one of these christian fairy tales. He tried his best not to get too phased as he approached the exhibited piece.