Author Topic: Two Minutes To Midnight  (Read 15319 times)

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: Two Minutes To Midnight
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
"Your Majesty, I can see your frustration, and to some extent I can understand it. However you must take into account Lakhzovia's stance.

It is our understanding that the long term goal is to find a consensus for a lasting peace in the Midaranye region. The current nuclear crisis is just the latest development of a long running conflict that has threatened the peace here for a significant period. That threat to peace centres on the provocations and hostility of a theocratic slave state, and it is against that threat, as well as threats of external interference, that Slava Lavosk has attempted to defend itself.

Kravic has more or less made this clear, and what is also clear is that attempts to force a unilateral disarmament on Slava Lavosk without addressing the underlying security concerns of that nation will result only in further escalation, and this time between nuclear armed states.

My proposal then was not aimed at humiliating you or undermining Rokkenjima. I believe in fact that our end goals are aligned, rather we have a difference of opinions when it comes to the path there. Sometimes, your majesty, a soft touch and nuanced approach can go further than the blunt tools of escalating threat.

As for my proposal of nuclear transfer to Lakhzovia for reprocessing; Consider it dropped. I was of the view that it might be preferable for Slava Lavosk's nuclear feed stock be removed from the country to our as we are both an ally of yourself, but one that is uniquely viewed as understanding the concerns of Kravic. In this way we hoped to act as a bridge to future cooperation and a deescalation of the nuclear tensions. However in the face of such open hostility what can we do but respect the position of our allies?

Be assured your Majesty, Lakhzovia and myself view you with the utmost regard. Let me reassure you that the Pyrenia-Nakim Accord remains the foundation of our international diplomatic strategy and that we seek always to further our alignment with yourself.

To that end I had meant to discuss a proposal with you following this conference, however now seems as appropriate time as any to broach the subject. I would like to propose to you the possibility of establishing a Rokkenjima listening post in the north-west Hir HaShudrin mountain range. Such facilities at this location would provide cover over the entire Cotf Peninsula as well as the Illumic, I envision it augmenting the previously agreed stationing of Rokkenjima airforce assets in Lakhzovia. The conditions of such a lease being our shared access to the facility's intel."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2019, 06:25:08 AM »
"I don't trust Kravec, and neither should any of you," Beatrice sighed. "I'll give worthwhile concessions, but I'll be damned if I give him open license to side-step any agreements we put into place. Achkaerin may be content with taking him at his word, but I shall not join in their folly. Kravec has, thus far, offered nothing to change my opinion of him. If he wishes me to change my opinion, he certainly has the opportunity to bring more actions forward."

"As for the removal of materials, it would be better for a state such as Nya Aland or Seaforth to handle such materials, as both have experience and a track record. I would support either nation handling such a task, if it would enjoy Lakhzovian backing. The end-goal remains the same, if the target is not different, yes?"

"As for positions," Beatrice sighed, "I believe that such military installations would be better perused with allies in the region who would not be the immediate target of suspicion. Discussions with the Conglomerate could produce a better position for the IRAF in the long-term view, for both our respected parties. I don't ask you to forsake your position entirely," Beatrice paused, "but to work with me, instead of opposed to me on many areas, I feel we could accomplish more."

"On that note we shall return, and we can allow actions to speak."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:18:57 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
With the return of Beatrice and Kadassa Peter hoped they were almost done, in truth there wasn't really much left to do. His attention was momentarily taken by two messages that Sakura showed him, one confirmed the MAEA being signed by Kathryn Deed, that meant the MAEA existed, the second was a message from Andrew Richmond asking for a call.

"Take it." Peter said, Sakura nodded and left the room while Peter turned his attention back to the room "As we are all now back here and we're reconvening I would like to move the amended version as presented by us before the representatives of Rokkenjima and Lakhzovia left for a few moments. I draw attention to further amendments made in respect of articles three and ten which now reflect the fact that the MAEA is in existence, a point I'm sure isn't lost on others especially given the amount of buzzing done by phones during this summit. Therefore I present the amended version."

In Order to achieve the ambition of a more peaceful and nuclear free Mundus nations agree to abide by this agreement.

1. The nations of Slava Lavosk, East Moreland, Achkaerin and Rokkenjima shall be known as the Nuclear Nations. The Nuclear Nations give assurance that they intend to be free of nuclear weapons by an agreed upon schedule.

2. Nations not classed as a Nuclear Nation shall be called a Non-Nuclear Nation and they give assurances that they do not intend to manufacture nuclear weapons.

3. The Nuclear Nations agree to allow a delegation of experts drawn from Non-Nuclear Nations to verify the numbers and types of nuclear weapons in their possession. This team shall be drawn from nations signatory to the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency. The nuclear nations agree to join the membership of the Agency.

4. Nuclear nations agree that they shall decommission (Definition:- Render the weapon inoperable for immediate deployment) all nuclear weapons by the end of 2021. This shall be verified by the same manner as outlined in Article 3.

5. Should a nation fail to provide verification or fail to meet the deadline as outlined in Article 4 they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations.

a) A total ban on the sale of any nuclear material
b) A total ban on sales of military equipment
c) The freezing of bank accounts of members of that nations government.
d) A travel ban on non-diplomatic travel .
e) A boycott of imports from that nation

6. Nuclear nations agree that they shall dismantle (Definition:- Remove the weapons nuclear material and allocate it either for civilian use or render it unusable) all nuclear weapons by the end of 2026. This shall be verified in the same manner as laid out in Article 3.

7.  Should a nation fail to provide verification or fail to meet the deadline as outlined in Article 6 they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations.

8. Both Nuclear and Non Nuclear nations agree that they shall not detonate or otherwise test nuclear devices in any way. Any nation that detonates or tests a nuclear device in contravention of this article they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations:

9. Sanctions put in place under Article 5, 7 or 8 shall remain in place until such a time as Verification compliant with Article 3 is given. A nation that is sanctioned under Article 8 shall be regarded as a Nuclear Nation and held accountable to the relevant provisions concerning that status.

10. Non-Nuclear nations are free to accept nuclear material for civilian use from the process of dismantling weapons. The process for such transfer of material to be handled by the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency in accordance with their procedures.

11. Should a Nuclear Nation find that it is for any reason incapable of sticking to its schedule as laid out by this charter it is to inform the international community immediately and should 3/4 of the signatory nations voting agree the timetable may be extended by a period of no less than 12 months.

"I reiterate that this is now an agreement that is legally sound in terms of the decommissioning and dismantling aspect of nuclear weapons, it dove tails with the MAEA in respect of the transfer of materials and makes clear the consequences of not meeting the deadlines. In short this is a solid foundation upon which a lasting agreement can be built. If this agreement be acceptable I suggest it be signed."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »
East Moreland agrees

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
Achkaerin agrees

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
"The First Empire of Rokkenjima agrees."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:45:57 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2019, 09:31:27 PM »
OOC - With the powers invested in me by Helus as RP Mode I am going to attempt to conclude this. If Rhodes does come back we'll review the situation.

Kravec smirked slightly. "In theory I can agree to this. There are however a few issues." He stood and began to pace the room around the table, "First is that it is my intention that Slava Lavosk will become a signatory of the MAEA. I however am going to have to demand a few concessions. The first is that Rokkenjima must stop their transfer of their nuclear materials to Seaforth. They are a nation that have not signed the MAEA, this concerns me. Rokkenjima have put nuclear weapons into the hands of a nation that is not one of those recognised as a nuclear nation. I therefore demand that if this treaty is to be fair they are added to the list of Nuclear Nations. Furthermore I believe it is unfair that ourselves and East Moreland will effectively be nuclear free by the end of 2021 while Rokkenjima and Achkaerin because of their stockpiles won't be until 2026[1]. I propose that this date is moved to 2024. Furthermore I shall not permit inspectors from a fellow nuclear nation or the CNN to be on the MAEA inspection team until such a time as they have committed to withdraw naval forces from the region. I have no issue with inspectors from non-nuclear and non CNN nations so we can be fully compliant with the treaty put before us."

1. At RL rates of dismantling Rokkenjima would find it extremely tight to meet this deadline

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2019, 06:50:16 AM »
"What is unfair," Beatrice said as she held back the majority of her anger, "is the fact that we are sat here due to the irrational and dangerous actions of a megalomaniac who, of his own initiative, derailed the collective efforts to rid Mundus of nuclear weapons. With the actions of Rokkenjima, East Moreland and Achkaerin we already had a path to universal disarmament, all done without sparking international crisis. However, one man," she said, pointing to Kravec, "decided this process wasn't quite to his liking. He, himself, decided that he should hold the power to determine the course of international developments, and he made his point clear in the detonation of a Slavan nuclear warhead, rendering all previous efforts effectively null."

"The Strategic Energy Reserve has been a resounding success, turning the nuclear material from Rokkenjiman warheads into energy which has been slated for donation to underpowered nations. As I understand, there exists two of the reactors which make this program possible within the Rishiri Imperial Overseas Dependency, thus I shall have little issue in transitioning this program from a partnership between the First Empire and the Kingdom, to a purely indigenous effort. However, this is the only 'concession' I shall offer. The world does not answer to the beck and call of a second-rate Stalin."

"As has been undertaken with the Rokkenjiman-Seaforthian program, nuclear warheads will continue to be disarmed prior to their transit to Rishiri. We shall not be moving the date forward, nor shall we be rushing this program; to do so would skirt all concerns for safety and responsibility. I would also state, unlike each other nuclear power, my Government never pursued nuclear arms, we inherited an arsenal from the Federal Republic and had to live with the responsibility such an inheritance demands. As such, I find the words of a man who willingly sought out nuclear arms following Rokkenjima, East Moreland and Achkaerin having written the map for their removal from existence to hold little value, or weight. Your efforts have made Mundus more dangerous, and the risks you took? Inexcusable. You've your one concession, you'll find no others."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
Peter sat there and listened, trying to gauge the best thing to do it was clearly apparent that as things stood the entrenched positions of Beatrice and Kravec were going to lead to this whole thing collapsing quite quickly especially if there wasn't any movement. The proposals Kravec had made were not ideal but there needed to be compromise if this agreement was going to fly, the date movement bothered him a fair bit but as he looked around the table in thought his eyes rested on David and the path forward for Achkaerin to be able to meet Kravec halfway as it were started to unfold.

"I think in terms of how Seaforth is classified under this agreement the fairest way forward is for Mr Lachlan to either enlighten us on Seaforth's position on the MAEA or to attempt to discern that position following the conclusion of this meeting. Regardless of that I do believe that until such time as there is a Seaforthian signature on the MAEA charter that the transfer of nuclear material between Rokkenjima and Seaforth should be halted and if Seaforth does sign the MAEA charter the transfers can then legitimately resume without breach of international treaty obligations.

In terms of the date for dismantling being moved forward to 2024 from 2026 as proposed by President Kravec I will agree to that date being amended as he has suggested. Finally I am sure that the membership of the MAEA has heard the point made about inspections and will take it seriously. Speaking as far as Achkaerin's naval presence in the Gulf of Auraxis is concerned I am more than prepared to withdraw those forces if we can come to a suitable agreement here."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
"Empress" Kravec shook his head in disbelief at what he had heard. "You are not unique in being a government that did not develop but rather inherited nuclear weapons. I am the only one here who gave an order to start a nuclear weapons programme. You think King David was alive in the 1950's ordering the Morelander scientists to begin the programme, you think at the age of about minus 70 Emperor Peter would have been making the decision for Achkaerin to have nuclear weapons. All three of you inherited this problem and spent the majority of your reigns not really pushing an agenda to get rid of what you inherited. I once purchased a house and I discovered the previous occupier had left me a wasp nest. It was something I inherited that I had no need of or desire to keep so I had it removed. If in 2013 you discovered that you had now inherited nuclear weapons then why has it taken you six years to get rid of something you had inherited that you clearly disapprove of. I am not even sure I can say you disapprove. You have over 800 bombers capable of dropping nuclear weapons of some variety. You have ten missile submarines that can be armed with nuclear missiles. Are we to assume those do not have nuclear warheads on board? Those weapons were not something you disapproved of owning while the shadow of a first-rate Stalin loomed over you. You may wish Rokkenjima to sound like some beacon of righteousness preaching about the distaste it has for nuclear weapons programmes but while I recognise you can not turn back the clock you haven't done anything until the last 12 months to change it. As for the deadline I am happy to commit to the single Slava Lavosk nuclear weapon being decommissioned in December 2021 and then dismantled in December 2026. We shall however not complete the dismantling process unless we are given cast iron assurances by the MAEA that Rokkenjima have completed 95% of their dismantling by that point. There should not be a situation where a single nation possesses these while no other does and the fact that I have tried to commit to have my nation nuclear free by the end of 2024 and it has been meet with such obstinate refusal from Rokkenjima worries me. Your reliance on Seaforth to help you meet the original deadline is not my concern or problem. There are many nations sat around this table who I suspect have the required technology and expertise to disarm and dismantle a nuclear weapon. I mean if the Alanders can put probes into orbit around distant planets I'm sure unscrewing a few bolts on a nuclear weapons gas storage tanks and guidance systems is childs play."

King David spoke up. "East Moreland will clearly be the first nation to meet both these targets. Our stockpile was small, its types simple to decommission and dismantle. As such I will state by the end of 2019 we shall be nuclear free. Someone has to go first don't they? As such I'm inviting a representative from each of the nations to come and witness the process. After that I am happy to open up our processing systems to either Achkaerin or Rokkenjima who have huge stockpiles."

"Excuse me a moment" Kravec was chuckling. "East Moreland, the nation that famously nearly had a nuclear waste consignment hijacked by little girls is offering to be a port of call for disarming nuclear weapons?" he chuckled once more. "I appreciate the sentiment but can we really trust the Morelanders with their own nuclear weapons decommissioning yet alone Rokkenjimas? However sir." He stopped the obvious fake laughter. "I appreciate the sentiment, indeed someone has to go first and this makes sense to me. I will happily send an observer. Now as for the Emperor of Achkaerin here I thank him for agreeing to speed up the process. It seems the only stumbling block we now have is Rokkenjima's desire to be the only nation with nuclear weapons."