Author Topic: A Tale of Two City...States (Gowu & Josai)  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
A Tale of Two City...States (Gowu & Josai)
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »

To whom it may concern,

When I became Chief Councillor of Gowu several years ago I introduced an agenda that was based around diplomatic contact with our Ardian neighbours and this has so far at least served the city I lead well. However it occurs to me that I have never had the honour of meeting with the leader of Josai, our fellow city state on the Ardian Peninsula, I would like to remedy that and establish a formal relationship between our two cities. Therefore I would be honoured if you would accept this invitation to visit Gowu so that we can establish a strong foundation for a lasting friendship.

Signed

Xiaoling Tsu
Chief Councillor of Gowu

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Baal System
Re: A Tale of Two City...States (Gowu & Josai)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

To:Chief Councilor  Xiaoling Tsu

The Republic of Josai extends its hands out in the name of good will and friendship in the offer for a Josain delegations visit to a fellow city state on the Ardian Peninsula. Therefore, a delegation of myself, the Secretary of State & the Secretary of Commerce & Industry. Josai can always use new trading partners and potential allies amongst its neighbours, and it is with sincerely hope that Gowu can and Josai can grow and maintain a long-lasting friendship.

Signed

Seiko Kumoya

President of the Republic of Josai

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
It was a nice day in Gowu, sunny but not too humid, the gentle summer breeze hard at work in that regard. Xialong was stood around the VIP terminal at the city's airport, which sat on an artificial island a couple of miles off the coast of the Ardian Peninsula in the Rokkenjiman Sea. It was perhaps inevitable that such constructions would become required for the city at some point, especially given the consequences of recent events over the Toshikawa. Xiaoling herself was one of the so called 'Gowu Orphans' a name given to children of the late 70's through to the mid to late 80's born in the city and surrounding area who'd lost their parents in the events of the first Toshikawan Civil War. She sipped on some water as she waited for the arrival of the Josai delegation, wondering what they were like - it was an interesting feeling she'd gotten plenty of experience of dealing with the other leaders on the Peninsula but not them, they were new to her.

She nervously rubbed a hand on her red jumper while she waited.

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »
President Seiko Kumoya along with Secretary of State Keiko Uwi & Secretary of Commerce and Industry Gendo Shibata all wearing their usual business attire. Manilla folders in hand and laptops in satchel bags. They weren’t familiar with Gowu customs so they walked up in a polite yet casual manner and greeted Chief Councilor Xiaoling Tsu with a handshake.

President Seiko Smiled and greeted her counterpart. “Your excellency, it is a pleasure to meet you, please excuse me if I have addressed you the wrong way. I am Madame President Seiko Kumoya, leader of the Republic of Josai, or the Josain Republic for short. The woman on my left is my secretary of state, in other words my head diplomat Keiko Uwi and my Secretary of Commerce and Industry Gendo Shibata. When we received this invitation to join you here today I was most excited.” She elaborated with a soft smile on her face.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »
"Madame President, Secretaries welcome, please I have no fancy titles I'm just an ordinary woman who used to be a school teacher around here pretty much everyone calls me either Xiaoling or Mrs Tsu. The only times I'm ever anything else are in Council sessions." Xiaoling said shaking each of the visitors hands "If you'd like to follow me?" she led the three visitors from Josai through the somewhat busy terminal to one of the airports train platforms where a train stood waiting for them, they stepped aboard and made their way to a compartment towards the front of the sleek looking train.

"This is something we're really proud of in Gowu." Xiaoling said as they sat down waiting for the train to depart "We're trialling hydrogen powered trains and this is one of them, they're quite brilliant zero emissions and only water as a by-product. If they work out well then at the end of the year we could be legislating for the switch over to them on a permanent basis. It's certainly something I'm looking forward to seeing."

Shortly after that the train departed the airport station and headed across the bridge connecting the airport island to the coast, it wasn't going to be a long trip in terms of outright distance but thanks to the Maru mountain range's features the line had to weave its way towards Gowu, cutting through the landscape and through a valley where at the crest of the rise the city came into view for the first time. It wasn't a hub of skyscrapers or anything it had a more historic vibe to it and a proud history, it was most likely the most heavily fortified city on the Peninsula and certainly one of the oldest not to mention the multicultural nature that they'd developed over the years. Xiaoling had seen the city she led plenty of times before of course but every time she saw it like this she always smiled.

"Welcome to Gowu." Xiaoling said "I'm obviously biased but I don't think there's anywhere else quite like it." she looked at the three Josai guests "Once we get to the station we'll travel to my home and talk about things between our cities I'm sure you have some ideas and I'm intrigued to find out what they are, for my part I'm looking at a strong friendship based relationship between our cities, what that entails I'm looking forward to exploring with you. After we've talked there's the potential for a tour around the city if you would like that."

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
President Kumoya Smiled ad replied “Ah, that hydrogen powerd train looks rather interesting actually. I’m sure the energy department as well as the department of education and our universities would like to come and examine it. All due course at your nation’s convenience of course. Your city is rather lovely, much more interesting than the sky scraper hub we have back home.”

Secretary Uwi chimed in “Mostly there are 2 items on our agenda, the first is a possible FTA, second is an ease of access visa agreement of some kind.” President Kumyoa replied “Easy there Ms Uwi , we can do that once we get there.”

Commerce and Industry Secretary Gendo Shibata spoke “My daughter went here on an semester abroad with an exchange program in her undergrad days and Josai University. She wasliving in some student lodging down town, wonder if it is still there.” He said as he smiled at Chief Councillor Tsu “It is a pleasure to be back here again Ms Tsu.”

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
"Well we haven't demolished any Gowu university premises so I imagine the lodging is still going to be there." Xiaoling said, she glanced up as the train pulled into their stop and motioned for the Josai delegation to follow "From here it's a quick car journey to my home."

It was in fact a quick trip, the advantage was that the city didn't really have a huge centralized feel to it, and with the train network it was quite easy to get out onto the edges of it without trouble which bypassed the more busy areas. The home of the Chief Councillor was known by the name 'Trinity House' it sat up a small hill overlooking the cliffs to the Rokkenjiman Sea, it also offered a good view of the three major castles/forts in the city's territory - at the end of the Gowu Pass there was the Dragon's Fort which was the main location for the Maiden Sister Order and the home of the Toshikawa Samurai rehabilitation project, next more towards the centre of the city there was Dragonspire Citadel and then finally overlooking the city was Wyvern Castle, one of the Achkaerin Royal Family properties. On a clear day it was even possible, if one looked east, to see the other end of Gowu Pass and the imposing Gowu Wall, a line of defence that historically speaking had kept first the Toshikawan's and then the Ardian Empire out of the city, though the impressive stone structure had had its day it was certainly an engineering marvel.

"If you'd like to come this way." Xiaoling said, she led the Josai delegation through the garden gate and into the back garden of the house, despite it being the official residence of the Chief Councillor it wasn't as grand as might be expected, the garden was spacious but the house didn't look much more than a normal residential property, there weren't any staff either this was without question a family home. In the garden there was a giant chess set which was rather predictably in use as Xiaoling's daughter Kirsty and Kirsty's girlfriend Claire played out a game.

"Madame President, Secretaries I'd like you to meet my daughter Kirsty and her girlfriend Claire." Xiaoling said "Girls can you handle the refreshments?"
"Of course we can." Kirsty said "Like we'd miss your baking Mum."
"Being apparently very good at baking is excellent bribery when it comes to youngsters." Xiaoling said looking at the Josai President "Please feel free to take a seat the girls will be back shortly." she indicated the garden table and chairs.

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:44 PM »
Both Secretaries Keiko Uwi and Gendo Shibata smiled and sat down. The President smiled as well “She reminds me of my daughter.” Gendo merely chuckled “Oh man if my son was here, he would get himself in so much trouble and would be flirting with her constantly…I seriously worry about that boy.” The other two chuckled

The Other two dignitaries got out their laptops. The President then spoke “So much historical surroundings. I wish Josai kept some of their cultural buildings, we had a giant wall up until 1965, then it was taken down by 1967, it’s basically just a giant concrete and sky scraper jungle with some shrines and an airport now. “she said as she chuckled lightly.  She then sat down at the table and calmly replied “Now Chief Councilor, what is the first item on the agenda?”

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »
Xiaoling mentally chuckled at the notion of a boy flirting with Kirsty, not because it wasn't possible but because it would certainly fail to lead anywhere after all Kirsty's eyes led her elsewhere, she was mentally composing herself for what was to come. Once the girls had returned with the drinks and cake she smiled.

"I'd like to start by asking a question if you don't mind." Xiaoling said "Obviously Josai has been fairly quiet for a while which I presume is down to internal political differences and priorities over the years but that's to put it a little bluntly history and what matters in what we're talking about is what happens moving forwards so with that in mind perhaps you'd be so kind as to tell me a little of what Josai's intentions are now you're more known to Mundus?"

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:32:17 AM »
The President chuckled and replied “Well Josai is a small country. I city with 12 million or so people. We probably won’t be a world power. We have made peace with that. We will however position ourselves to be a neutral financial broker of a nation. We have positioned our economy to have high net worth services sector such as education, financial services and telecommunication services as well as making electronics and IT products. We have done this as Josai has no natural resources and Josai will have to be reliant on outside markets to provide a suitable market for these goods and services. So while Josai is a rich and developed market economy, we are fragile in that sense. With that said, Josai has non-malicious intentions as it would limit our economic potential. Thus, we wish to position ourselves to be a regional hub and centre for trade by inviting all of our Adian neighbours to have access to our market. Like other nations in our position would do.”
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:05:19 PM by Baal »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »
"I see we are somewhat of kindred spirits." Xiaoling said "I know just as every Chief Councillor and ruler of Gowu before me that knew that this city's continued existence free from harm would rely on not only the strength of its defenders in the military sense but also on the abilities of diplomats at the negotiating table. We kept first the Toshikawan's, then the Ardian's and then the Toshikawan's at bay with that approach, of course the heavy snow in the mountain's during winter also helped at times. In a more modern context I keep the relations with this city's neighbours on as good a terms as I can, I try to be the voice of reason where I can because that is what Gowu, despite its small size, can try to be."

Xiaoling sipped her drink and took a small bite of cake while she refocused on the situation at hand.

"But I digress." Xiaoling said "I believe you wished to talk about a trading relationship?"

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
Secretary of Commerce & Industry Gendo Shibata responded. "Yes Chief Councillor, what we were thinking is easing of tarriff and non-tarrif barriers on both of our nations goods coming in and out of both of our fine cities, whether this will be a broad stroke approach on all goods or specific goods from either of our nations will need to be further discussed. In other words we wish to provide a template or foundations of a FTA."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »
"I see." Xiaoling said "Well as you probably know Gowu through Achkaerin's membership of the Cross-Straits Union benefits from a Free Trade Area. As I understand it Josai is looking at potentially observer membership or as the CSU calls it associate membership status of that organisation. If that happened and Josai were to be able to access the CSU's Free Trade Area then we have our framework there so to speak. Unless of course you have something else in mind."