Author Topic: The Imperial Address, Sixth Edition  (Read 1800 times)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Imperial Address, Sixth Edition
« on: September 28, 2019, 02:02:32 AM »

Imperial Address
An Address to the People of Rokkenjima, her Allies, and the broader International Community

Fellow Rokkenjimans, Friends and Allies of the First Empire, honourable delegates from afar, I thank you for joining me here this afternoon.

Following the end of the Second Patriotic War I promised you that Rokkenjima would never again be trampled upon by any power, and that the era of a subservient Rokkenjima with no control over her own destiny was behind us; our destiny, I proclaimed, was fully within our own hands. I could not have foreseen the treachery which would be hatched by a man we all came to trust and hold to the highest of standards, the Great Betrayer Offdensen, that brought great threat and tribulation to Rokkenjima in the greatest domestic attack since we defeated the Grand Republican Army. What we have done, however, is institute safeguards to ensure that such an attack from within is not possible to replicate. The authority of Chrysanthemum Throne, which Offdensen usurped, is forever secured in the service of the Rokkenjiman People.

As we moved beyond the Second Patriotic War an unexpected challenge was thrust upon our First Empire: the emergence of the United Soviet Russia and its Warsaw Pact. In a series of actions which included a blockade of the Great Northern Sea and their near introduction of biological weapons, the First Empire was forced to confront a fight it did not ask for. We built up our armed forces to confront this threat, found through this threat to the peace and tranquility of humanity nations of kindred mind and spirit, and through the necessity of that conflict we forged a pact of our own: the Cross-Straits Treaty Organization. In addition to the fruition of the CSTO we embarked upon a program which, under Vicegerent Evanthe, built the most capable diplomatic organization of its era, building links between the First Empire and nations both near and far. Led by the initiatives of the Imperial Diplomatic Corps the First Empire, through diplomacy and the reach of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy, intervened in several cases on behalf of those less fortunate, or under represented: these actions saw the peaceful resolution of several crises prior to the establishment of the Covenant of Nations.

As time passed and the pages of history turned with it the CSTO looked increasingly obsolete in the modern era; states entrusted organizations such as the Commonwealth Treaty Organization and the CMA to act as vanguards of international order and stability. With that realization dawning upon the Imperial Government the CSTO ceased to exist, its remnants eventually joining those of the CIS to forge LISA. As we know LISA did not endure, while the First Empire certainly held shared values and bonds with the Holy Empire our relationship with Vaguzia has been little more than that of acquaintances. Perhaps this is but one reason it was easy for the Vaguzian Government to consider, under whatever circumstances they said is not relevant, firing upon the vessels of a nation "allied" to them.

It was in the era of LISA that the First Empire was, perhaps, at its most rudderless point since our victory in the Second Patriotic War. Absent of vision, unsure of ourselves, we acted forcefully and swiftly in some cases while allowing others to go seemingly unnoticed. As uncertainty grew in the faith we could hold in our allies so too grew within our hearts the hesitation to act. Thankfully, at long last, we see a light growing ever brighter in the distance as we exit this long, dark chapter of our history. Through diplomatic resolve, both with friends anew and friends we've enjoyed a longstanding relationship with, the First Empire is once again aware of her purpose, steadfast in her values, and thus emerges from the Lost Era with a strength renewed.

A few short weeks ago I had the honour to host representatives from our closest of friends, the Kingdom of Tytor and the Monarchy of Novincia, welcoming our long silent friend back to the community of nations. In that meeting I was drawn to the Cross-Straits Treaty, that document which brought us together out of necessity, and was compelled to remove it from the wall. It felt so natural to remove it from its protective frame and glass, press upon it with new ink, and to see a Cross-Straits Treaty appropriate for the modern era. I am pleased to announce to my People and our allies that in a joint decision by our three nations the Cross-Straits Treaty Organization is once more. It is not out of necessity which we bind ourselves to the Cross-Straits Treaty again, but of choice, mutual admiration for our shared values and principles and the recognition of the deep bonds which tie our nations together.

In the coming weeks Rokkenjima, Novincia and Tytor will be conducting a series of meetings as we clear the dust from the CSTO Headquarters and establish what role the CSTO will serve in the modern era. As we saw when Slava Lavosk re-introduced nuclear weapons once all nuclear powers had agreed to their consignment to the dustbins of history, the same conviction for appropriate force when faced with such a challenge is largely absent in Mundus, where states would take the words of a dictator who utilizes brutal executions, internment camps and manipulation with any worth while casting their ire upon those states who see through the cheap veneer he employs. Had the community of nations acted in this manner in the face of the United Soviet Russia's introduction of biological weapons, allowing such a state to fracture an international response and pit nations who are otherwise allies or at the very least partners against each other, the Mundus we live in would be very much different, and not for the better.

In addition to the restoration of the CSTO the First Empire has also worked with the Conglomerate, formerly known as the Republic of Heyra, a Nation and People well known to Rokkenjimans. During the Republican Era several Rokkenjimans called upon Heyra as a safe refuge, for which Rokkenjima has been grateful. After a successful diplomatic meeting we have agreed to a Treaty which solidifies our historic bonds, ushering in a new era of strategic partnership and coordination between Rokkenjima and the Conglomerate. This Treaty, the Pyrettania-Panner Mount Accord, also known as the Contract for Freedom of Trade, involves an exchange of leases between us, two of which shall host military installations of the First Empire upon Styx and Lethe. Through common patrols and exercises the First Empire and the Conglomerate shall work to ensure their mutual interests in the Illumic, Krimeon and Mhorish Seas. Upon Lethe shall be Queen Adriana Military Base (QAMB), while upon Styx shall be King Leopold Naval Station (KLNS).

To foster camaraderie between our forces, and to ensure that Rokkenjiman-Conglomerate forces are capable of interoperability, we shall see vessels from The Conglomerate integrated into the Elsa Carrier Strike Group, along with the establishment of a Joint Command between our militaries in the region. Whereas before the First Empire was an Illumic power, through our strategic partnership with the Conglomerate it is an Illumic and Krimeon power, working to preserve the neutrality and serenity of the seas which are so vital to our trade and international commerce. In The Conglomerate our First Empire has found a partner who has proven themselves historically, and in the signing of this Accord, has further proven their vision into the future aligns with that of the First Empire. This partnership is one which shall be of great importance to the First Empire in the present, and long into the future.

In return I have granted a lease to The Conglomerate consisting of the former installations of the Kingdom of Seaforth upon Hoshiko Island as well as the traditional holdings of the Anselmo Family in southern Azukishima, henceforth to be collectively known as Cocytus. These two territories shall be connected via two underseas tunnels; one which shall carry road traffic, and one which shall carry rail traffic. Within an hour's drive of Cocytus shall be a new international airport, all developments which shall provide jobs and increased economic opportunity. I am pleased, and honoured, to be able to call The Conglomerate a Major Non-CSTO Ally of the First Empire, and a Preferred Trading Partner of Rokkenjima. Together in prosperity always!

In addition to our strategic partnership Rokkenjima and The Conglomerate have secured a vast economic partnership. Rosa Shipyards, for example, has secured a deal worth billions of ducats, seeing the construction of total of 6 ships for The Conglomerate whilst provisions which address tariffs ensure that trade between Rokkenjima and The Conglomerate faces no unnecessary hardships or burdens. In addition to those ships being constructed for The Conglomerate Imperial High Command and officials of The Conglomerate are discussing further collaborative projects which could see a new class of vessel introduced in the not too distant future. Our partnership is one I feel confident shall continue to secure our mutual interests and preservation of shared principles throughout the rest of my reign, and that of the Crown Princess.

Rokkenjima must never be a nation which continually apologizes to the community of nations, nor one which allows itself to become ensnared by its past. We shall remember our past failings, we shall address them, but we shall move on from them and look ever onward into the future. In my last Imperial Address it was necessary to take an apologetic tone, addressing those issues which required an address. Today, and each day henceforth, Rokkenjima looks only to the future, one which shall see a Rokkenjiman foreign policy built firmly upon its values, and one which is marked by our relations with states who share those values in kind. This First Empire has apologized enough, we shall not apologize redundantly.

With the developments in Slava Lavosk we were faced to make a decision: ensure that a Mundus free of nuclear weapons would be a reality, or allow the opportunity to slip through our fingers. I have no regrets or reservations about the Rokkenjiman approach toward Slava Lavosk: it must be made clear, in no uncertain terms, that nations which develop, or seek to acquire, nuclear weapons will face most certain, and most forceful, consequences. Any "advantages" sought by such states in their acquisition of these weapons must be removed from the field so as to make the quest for them so undesirable, that such pursuits are abandoned for the folly that they are.

We must also ensure that sanctions which are imposed upon states are done so in a manner which does not inflict undue harm upon those who are not targets of those sanctions while inflicting maximum pressure upon their intended targets, the leadership, governments and militaries of such states. I will be ordering a review of all Rokkenjiman sanctions to ensure this goal is met by the end of this present year. As we've seen in the rush of the international community to condemn states such as the Empire of Tamora for slavery, the sanctions imposed have contributed to a rise in slavery which otherwise would not have taken place. Slavery is clearly abhorrent and without a place or reason in the 21st century, however, if we wish to rid Mundus of it we must take care that our actions do not make the situation that much worse. Sometimes, as we've seen, those who take action merely for the sake of taking action and affixing their name to a position, do much greater harm than good.

We also see a continued responsibility to be a good partner to our neighbours, the Republic of Josai. Following the conclusion of the Second Patriotic War it was suggested by some of our commanders that the Republic should be brought "back into the fold", an assessment I disagreed with as I met with officials from the Republic to establish a framework through which Rokkenjima and Josai would co-exist in perpetual harmony. My commitment to that agreement, one which I shall discuss with President Seiko Kumoya as we review the agreements between our Nations and Peoples, remains just as steadfast as the day I promised President Hideki Umezawa that the First Empire would always be a friend, and protector, of Josai's independence against any threat which may face it. I repeat the same words I uttered then, "Unto the ages eternal, Rokkenjima shall never raise her sword against thee. She shall, however, raise it against the enemies of your freedom should the hour call."

With the developments we have seen thus far I am confident to report to the Rokkenjiman People that the state of our First Empire is strong, our course is certain and determined, and our nation is capable of addressing any challenge which may present itself in the coming year and beyond. We have faced both troubled and tranquil seas and, in both, we have persevered. Today we see before us a new era of opportunity and prosperity, and in our decisions as a nation we shall choose that path which represents who we are as a People, and that which best represents our principles. We haven't always made the right decisions but we've always made those decisions, especially the most difficult, with the belief that our decisions, our actions, served the purpose of the greater, and common, good.

As we've met the previous year, may we meet the next with equal vigor, attention, and detail that we may mark the passage of the next without any reservation. May Islyna bless you with her infinite wisdom, and may she bless this First Empire with the wisdom and sight to always choose the true and just path. Thank you all, and Islyna keep you safe.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: The Imperial Address, Sixth Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »

While East Moreland has little history with the CSTO nations of Tytor or Novinica directly it is well documented that during the existance of the CSTO and CIS co-operation between the two organisations always worked well. The CIS operation in Safraen lead to the opening of a second front in the CSTO's own anti-USR actions in Meche. It is my hope that in the years ahead a similar beneficial and supportive arrangement between the CNN and the newly formed CSTO can take shape. While some have in the past looked at alliances as simply militarisation via the backdoor I believe firmly the CNN is providing its members with more than that. In recent months we have seen the CNN come together with plans for humanitarian efforts in Noobia, we have seen our greatest scientists working together on exciting space projects and our sporting heroes have clashed on their fields of play. It is my understanding a new CSTO would also feature less traditional alliance matters and I would urge that once the CSTO HQ has undergone its spring clean that, as with the CIS and CSTO, liasons between the two groups are examined.

Listening to the Imperial Address is an annual oppurtunity to gauge the direction of a nation. One phrase stuck in my mind in this years, the Empress stated that they are an "Illumic and Mhorish Power." While the news of the joint treaty between The Conglomerate and Rokkenjima may have taken my countrymen by surprise it was revealed to me several days ago, a novelity in itself that Rokkenjima deems fit to inform those nations that are native to the Illumic of its actions. It is this traditional lack of co-operation and a tendency to ride roughshod through the region that concerns us. I must however tip my hat in respect to the Conglomerate negotiators, they have managed to secure an agreement which sees sovreign Rokkenjiman territory handed over to them for the next century along with an agreement to improve the infastructure for the Conglomerate settlement. In return Rokkenjima must fund at the cost of several billion two military bases in the Mhorish and Illumic region, pay an annual $300million in what is effect rent, and Rokkenjiman ships must undertake patrol duties in the region effectively as The Conglomerates mercenaries for hire. All of this also see's the Conglomerate position protected for a decade while the Rokkenjiman one has no legal protection, meaning effectively the Conglomerate could refuse to accept the next round of rent and the deal in the Mhorish and Illumic would be off. This level of one sided negotiation success makes me wish I had hired them to negotiate my divorce.

This return to the Illumic and the wording of the address shows the single largest reason East Moreland has issues with non-native prescence in the Illumic and Mhorish on permanent basis. Here we have a nation from East Ardia calling itself an Illumic and Mhorish Power, having been asked to leave by a native Illumic nation in the shape of Seaforth. Since then I have worked with MICA partners to put in place measures to ensure even greater co-operation between us. East Moreland has repeatedly sown in the last five years that we can and will do what is required to provide the neutrality and serenity the region needs. When Traansvaal attacked Rishiri island it was East Moreland and Seaforthian ships that intervened and captured an enemy warship, when piracy came to the region it was East Moreland and not Rokkenjima that ensured trade could continue and when rouge forces in Academica launched missiles at what was then Heyra it was East Moreland that used its own assets to protect our Southern Neighbours. I am therefore highly disappointed that the Conglomerate see a need to bring in a non-native nation, especially having recently been involved in talks about the way to ensure smooth co-operation in the Mhorish and Illumic using Rapid Response Areas. It leads me to believe that while we discussed this The Conglomerate always planned to bring in a foreign power that states it is needed "to preserve the neutrality and serenity of the seas which are so vital to our trade and international commerce." Six years ago that may well have been the case however the unparalleled recent co-operation in MICA talks shows that we are more than capable of ensuring sea lanes are open and usable for all. Ironically we see the Conglomerate expanding their territory across Mundus and requiring a foreign power to ensure the safety of their home waters. The Empress stated "The authority of the Chrystantemum throne ....is forever secured in the service of the Rokkenjiman people." Yet the throne has seen fit to give away sovreign territory to interfere in the backyards of nations that have never posed a threat to those people.

As a result of this slap in the face in the coming days I will be calling for a meeting of MICA in order to re-draw a plan for the handling of security in the region by native nations determined to live by the agreement they signed which states clearly members will "commit themselves to work together with their partners in this endeavour in a spirit of friendship." It is vital that the native nations can rely on each other to act in a manner of mutual support. In the past we have seen Rokkenjima threaten to use its military assets in the Illumic to threaten other Illumic nations and as a region we must not allow them to hold sway over our neighbourhood. East Moreland has always been proud to stand by its word and when we formed the Illumic Council I stated that I would work towards ensuring the region was one of peace and stability, that the future of a region is best determined by those from the region and that we committed to working with all nations of the Illumic, I now extend those promises to the Mhorish and as our neighbours and former allies know when a Morelander says something we stand squarely behind it with our actions.