Author Topic: Emigration and investment talks (Tamora and SICR)  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Emigration and investment talks (Tamora and SICR)
« on: June 04, 2020, 04:42:03 PM »

To: the Second Imperial Chinese Republic

My esteemed counterpart,

I am contacting you following your recent announcement to relax immigration laws in your Imperial Republic and also the possibility to lease industrial facilities in your country.

While it is the right of every Tamoran citizen to leave and return in the Tamoran empire as they please, we nevertheless would like to arrange a meeting to discuss some aspects regarding potential emigration of Tamorans to SICR as well as the legal guarantees your government might be willing to provide in the case of Tamoran businesses are willing to invest in the excess industrial capacity of SICR.

With your permission I would like to arrange a meeting that seeks to address the items in the attached annex. Furthermore, I would also like add to the list of talks the opportunity of SICR to support the joint Tamoran-Seleucid bid to host the games.

In the hope of future cooperation I look forward to your reply.

Annex:

1.   Exploratory talks about the rights available to religious minority including but not limited to the freedom of speech and association.
2.   Inquiry into the SICR legislation regarding the construction of religious buildings such as temples and mosques.
3.   Inquiry of political representation of ethnic minorities in SICR.
4.   Inquiry about the guarantees SICR could provide against nationalizations and confiscations of assets such as the ones most recently seen in Rokkenjima against Tamoran property.

OOC: I did my best to give some info regarding the agenda but keep it sufficiently vague to leave some room for talks and interpretation. Hope it’s okay.

Respectfully yours,
Alya Safavid
Head of Foreign Affairs 

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
Re: Emigration and Investment talks (Tamora and SICR)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 01:36:06 AM »

To: The Empire of Tamora

To the most honorable Alya Safavid,

The Emperor-Admiral is unable to attend, but it would be my utmost pleasure to arrange a meeting in the SICR Djerb Embassy in regard to such matters. All matters are open to discussion- though of course, must abide by the Freestone Mark as per international convention. That being said, there are a few matters that I can preemptively clarify.

Tolerance of religion is one of the primary focuses of the in-work constitution and as such all minorities are welcome and encouraged to speak about and associate with their chosen religious practice, in addition to the right of constructing religious buildings near or in their residential and labor districts. In regards to confiscation and nationalization of Tamoran assets in the SICR, the Emperor-Admiral can personally guarantee that the only cases in which such cases are possible are few and far in between, highly improbably in the current condition of the government.

I am confident that we can reach an agreement to benefit our nations mutually and prosperously.

Most Sincerely,

Yun Hebing
Acting Minister of Foreign Relations
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration and investment talks (Tamora and SICR)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
As Alya’s car was headed towards the SICR embassy in Djerb she couldn’t help but think that it was perhaps in award time for the meeting since SICR was heading through what seemed like the beginning of a civil war and a change of government. If the opposition to the current regime would be successful and Emperor Jinxingguo toppled then most likely what they would agree in today meeting would no longer be valid. In fact perhaps even the agreement the two nations had in place where they shared information on the location of Rokkenjiman ships could be in danger. But perhaps it was even more ironic that the two sides would be meeting to discuss Tamoran emigration as well as investment to a country that was in the midst of so much turmoil but Alya shared the opinion of many of Djerb’s top advisers that  SICR would not succumb to chaos even if only because of its two close allies: New Derusmia and Quintelia.   

Of all the nations Alya dealt with she found the Dragonai one to be the most difficult. When dealing with them she often had the impression they acted like a turtle, ready to tuck in as the first sign of major disagreement. And she expected they would be some over the Freestone Mark issue because of how different nations interpreted its use. “I guess I will have to wait and see” she said to herself.

Soon the convoy arrived at the Dragonai embassy and she got out of the car. Her staff had already moved to the embassy to inform the Dragonai staff that she had arrived.

Alya Safavid arriving at the SICR embassy in Djerb

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
Yun had arrived early in the morning by a sleepless flight, spending the better part of the dawning sky sitting before the conference table with a cup of coffee, considering his options. Tamora had been a fickle topic within the Electorate. Rokkenjima would have their necks- in both Emperor-Admirals' words- if the naval deal was found out.

He stroked the warm side of the mug, taking a sip. Emperor Jingxingguo had given him a special task before he'd gotten on the plane- make an offer Tamora couldn't refuse. The plan was ambitious in the long run, and undoubtedly a difficult one.

He was still pondering over what he'd been told when an aide had informed him of Alya's arrival. He nodded, rising to greet her at the entrance.

The guards of the embassy were lined up at the door for the two to meet as the Minister appeared at the entrance. He smiled at his counterpart, extending a hand in greeting. "Good morning, Your Grace."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
“Good morning, Your Excellency!” replied Alya shaking the hand of the Dragonai Minister.  Since Alya had been through quite a few foreign meeting in various countries around Mundus she had gotten accustomed to shaking hands even with people of the opposite sex even though it was against Tamoran customs and it was still something she didn’t enjoy. What she did enjoy was being addressed with “Your grace” as that was usually reserved for Tamoran male nobles.     

“I hope the flight to Tamora was not too exhausting, it quite a long trip from the Imperial Chinese Republic”.

She then allowed the host to lead the way to the venue where their meeting would take place. After they settled in, she resumed:

“I would like to begin by expressing our condolences for the death of His Imperial Majesty Emperor-Admiral Jingduming. We did not have the chance to do this face to face before now. His Majesty was one of Mundus’ leaders who preferred a more discrete presence on the international stage choosing to lead rather than speak and not the other way around. The Tamoran Empire will miss him on the world stage.

However, nations outlast their leaders; it’s how the world works. So our nations now have the opportunity to build and expand our current relationship. Tamora has a rapidly growing population and some of our citizens, for various reasons, choose to emigrate. In previous years, their top destination was the Ecclesiastical State but ever since the events that lead to them becoming a city state, Tamorans can no longer emigrate there. This is why the Tamoran government believes your new immigration policy might lead to SICR becoming a prime destination for Tamorans who want to emigrate aboard and I hope that through our meeting here we can perhaps understand what the other side needs and expects and see how we can help each other in order to facilitate the process. “ 

With that she finished the introduction and allowed the host to reply and continue. 

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 04:16:51 AM »
Yun nodded. "It was quite fine, thank you. And I must thank you for your kind words towards the late Emperor-Admiral," he replied with a short bow.

He led her through the well-lit halls to the conference room, where a pair of guards opened the door for them, then stepped behind to allow them their privacy.

He allowed her to sit before him, seating himself afterward at the conference table. "As do I. The SICR has much to offer those who seek fortune and a future in the Nestland. In that respect, would you like some coffee or tea before we begin or any sort of refreshment?" He paused, allowing Alya to answer.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »
“A cup of tea would be great” said Alya.

Ooc: I assumed that as the host you wanted to start first, if not just tell me and I will do a follow up post in a few days.

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
(OOC: Apologies, I assumed the opposite was true. It'd be great if you could do so, and sorry again for the miscommunication!)

The Minister nodded, signaling a nearby orderly, to bring them each a good cup of tea. He sipped a bit, allowing his counterpart to begin.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »
“ Allow me to first provide you with some estimates made by our Imperial Institute of Statistics (IIS) regarding the potential for emigration from Tamora to SICR under ideal conditions. According to them we are looking 200 thousand to 300 thousand per year. As I said that is under ideal conditions and that is what I would like to talk about.

So my first question for your government is whether you believe you have the capacity to accommodate such a significant influx of people coming to SICR?

The second question is whether your government has taken into account potential tensions and frictions that might arise among the Dragonai population from such an influx of immigrants and what measures is your government prepared to take to ensure the protection of the potential future immigrant community in SICR?

My third question is related to the freedom of religion. Every Tamoran is different of course but many of us share a deep understanding of the faith. I want to know whether SICR has in place restrictions related to how people dress that might infringe on the religious requirement of Tamorans.

My forth question is related to the previous one. From our experience for every ten thousand Tamorans at least on temple is needed to meet their religious needs. As far as I know there are very of few if any Manist temples in SICR so new ones would be necessary for Tamoran emigrants to SICR. Does the SICR government provide funding for the construction of religious building such as Manist temples and does it place restrictions against foreign governments funding such constructions? We ask because the Tamoran government would be willing to bare some of the costs associated with the construction of the religions infrastructure necessary for Tamoran emigrants. 

My fifth question is related to the current instability in SICR. While that is of course an internal matter of SICR the violence and tensions are something that can seriously affect the lives of all residents in SICR regardless of status or citizenship. So if you can provide details of what is the current situation of the ground in SICR in regards with the recent political turmoil and perhaps give us an estimated projection about when do you believe the turmoil will end that would be very helpful for us.”

Alya paused to give her counterpart a chance to answer the questions and also provide answers to any questions he might have himself.

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »
"We most definitely have the capacity- though for the sake of efficiency I think perhaps half the quota for Tamoran immigration be lowered for the initial year so the SICR can make fitting accommodations for their arrival. The quota can then be adjusted as needed in the coming years. Housing, temporary as it may be, will be provided as required- however, given the amount of available space at the moment, I would say that finding a place to settle would be of little difficulty. Much of the nation's population moved to the major cities and towns post-war, leaving large amounts of smaller settlements almost completely unoccupied but perfectly suitable for habitation. SICR engineers can also always assist in the establishment of additional utilities and housing if necessary in that venture.

As for your second question, the government will immediately seek to place emigrant Tamorans as liason officers to help educate the domestic population on cultural differences. It is possible some may have a slightly negative reception to the Manist faith, but given the nation's culture, it is highly unlikely they will be bothered by it. I can guarantee that the integration of Tamorans to the local leadership will definitely be a priority after they finish leadership qualifications to futher assist with their addition to the population.

For the third one, there is no government regulation on how to dress, but it is common tradition and mandated by law in the SICR to carry a gas mask case on the belt at the very least. They are quite easy to obtain, of course, and should not pose a burden. It is advised to wear heavy clothing though and some settlements may require it for health reasons.

As a law, the government will provide three-quarters of the funding for a religious building approximate to its population of devotees. The rest of the funds must be provided by the devotees themselves, but utilities will still be provided courtesy of the local government."

He pursed his lips at the final question, nodding. "The armed violence is focused mainly in the south and as a result immigrants will be given choices for settlement in the northern parts of the country to keep them safe. Nevertheless, the dispute is more of a problem with monarchists and pro-emperor leadership and less about the local population, estimated by the military to end in coming months. I can promise you that the citizenry will not be targeted in any way."

He clasped his hands, adding, "Now, there are of course questions that the SICR's leadership has for this venture. As slavery is highly illegal in the nation, any slave in the SICR will immediately be designated a free person upon arrival and offered citizenship. I'd like to know what policies Tamora has regarding this and would also in that respect, offer immigration to mainly low-income families."

He looked to the side, thinking, then nodded, concluding, "I think that's all at this point." The Minister sipped his tea, allowing her to respond.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO