Author Topic: The private life of a Tamoran magnate  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
The private life of a Tamoran magnate
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »

The Polakis Villa at the outskirts of Volos, the federated kingdom of West Seleucid, Empire of Tamora

Thanasis Polakis was one of the richest people in Tamora, the third richest if estimates were to be believed. Though in Tamora those estimates only included non-nobles. The nobles generally had huge wealth since the state assets were technically their own personal money. However, for a Tamoran magnate he had a pretty modest mansion as his main residence. Of course it wasn't really modesty that made him live like this but rather a certain sense of pragmatism, he never really understood why some people once they had luxury still felt the need to upgrade to opulence. He felt that is was money better spent elsewhere.

Since he was ethnically Seleucid, it was of little surprise that his main residence was at the outskirts of Volos, in the federated kingdom of West Seleucid. Like many Tamorans he cherished his ethnicity and his religion, in his case Anahitaism, so Djerb, the imperial capital never grew on him. He preferred Volos so much more. It was huge city of 6 million people and a regional hub. Also, unlike Djerb, it was predominantly Anahitaist so it had a more liberal attitude when it came to certain mores. He also preferred it to Ipsus which although richer felt too modern and too liberal. He considered Volos a perfect mix between the strong religious focus and orthodoxy of Djerb and the pragmatism exposed by Ipsus.

In fact the mix between Manist mores and Anahitaist ones were felt even in the layout of his house and the way he organized his family. The Mansion had a layout that allowed the several wings of the mansion to function as separate houses with only one hallway connecting them. For all other purposes, entrances, courtyard, garage they were separate with no possibility of getting from one courtyard to the other. Even the slave servants we allocated exclusively to one wing with a very limited number of specific slaves being allowed to crossover from one wing to the others. That whole complicated design which made little sense to non Tamoran was to keep separate the families of Polakis. As an Anahitaist, polygamy was accepted and practiced but unlike Anahitaist polygamists in Royal Seleucid who had one family centered around the husband , the ones in Tamora had several families which they kept separate but part of the same household. Thanasis, unlike for example King Heydar, never appeared in public with both his wives, never had dinner with both views and all his children. He practiced the strict separation Manist had when it came to polygamist families. However, unlike Manists, Tamoran Anahitaists did not require separate areas for men and women.

Thanasis Polakis and his First Wife Eliana at the Elysium Economic Forum

Thanasis was having dinner with his First Wife, Eliana and they were having a conversation about the future of the family. He was seriously considering taking a third wife, and not just any wife but the one of the welcome Wilhom Queens of Royal Seleucid. Thanasis just like Tamoran Manist had a hierarchy when it came to his families and wives. It was natural for him to consult with his First Wife about the future of the family while only informing his second wife about his decision. The strict hierarchical structure of Tamoran society also applied when it came to families.

-   “Do you really think she can help you get close to King Heydar? I don't think he puts that much trust in her despite him calling her mother.” Said Eliana trying to contain her jealousy. Thanasis getting a third wife who had the status of a Wilhom Queen Yanna threatened her position as First Wife which she had enjoyed so far.
-   "I am not interested in Heydar. Well, if I am honest, I am interested but getting Yanna as a wife would not help much. I also think he is looking to free some of the rooms in the Royal Palace and he certainly won't miss her. No, she is key to getting close to princess Thekla and though her to the Crown Prince. That is what I am after. Musaevna managed to get close to Alya Safavid and that meant billions for her in government contracts. I could never get that close to the Safavids because we at the end of the day I am Anahitaist and they will never really trust me. With Yanna as my wife, I could have princess Thekla come here anytime. I would have access to the Safavids like only Musaevna has now."

Eliana resigned herself to the idea that Thanasis was too determined to convince him to drop the plan. She now prayed that King Heydar would refuse him for whatever reason.

- “So when are you going to talk to king Heydar?”
- "Next week I hope. I have another meeting in Ipsus then and I hope I can arrange a meeting with him. If all goes well I think we can strike a deal then. "

Thanasis had not been so exited since he had signed the deal with the Merinan Free State which brought him a quarter of their resources at a reasonable price. For him this was just another business transaction, he wanted access to the Safavid Imperial family and King Heydar had the key. He only hoped, the Seleucid king was not aware exactly how much that Wilhom queen was worth to him or he would ask a fortune of him. That man had a reputation for negotiation. He made Abbas pay billions for Thekla. On second thought, considering Abbas’ negotiating skills perhaps that was not too surprising.