Author Topic: Open Event - Yellowtongue  (Read 4190 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Open Event - Yellowtongue
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:10:08 AM »
15th June 2020 Allied States of Ardia

Around 20miles outside the city of Cescedia the hustling city turned into the rolling foothills of the ASA interior. It was there that veterinarian Cristiano Alberghi was looking at the sheep that the farmer had penned separate to the herd. He examined them closely and each had almost the exact same symptoms, each appeared to be salivating none stop which was something that Alberghi put down to the swelling around their cheeks. He had the farmer hold open the cows mouth and took hold of the tongue, it was nearly twice the size of normal and had a feint yellow tinge to the surface as he released the tongue and allowed the animal to walk away he could hear the feint rasping sound of the animal not being able to breath properly. Alberghi looked around the pen and noticed something, not a single one of the ten or so sheep was stood still and so he next examined their feet and the reason was obvious, each sheep he examined had swelling on its hoofs which must have made it uncomfortable to place any weight. Alberghi reached into his bag and removed a long needle and pierced the swelling withdrawing some of the liquid inside. It was a condition he'd never seen before and so taking as many samples as possible.  "Are these all the ones that have been like this?" he asked the farmer.

"Well all the ones I have now." the farmer answered. "I've had three die about two week ago but then they were out in the hills so I couldn't watch them. I thought it was maybe something they'd caught of wild animals and so by having them here they'll be ok." The farmer explained.

"Two weeks you say" Alberghi jotted down some notes. "In the hills do you animals mix with any other farms?"

"Of course" the farmer explained, "Our animals all wander the hills and then this time of year we go out together, round them up and begin taking them to market."

"Have any others reported something similar?" Alberghi was slightly concerned.

"I have no idea. I usually see them when I take them to market but this year I sold to a multi-national, they offered a set fee so I felt safer. They picked my sheep up about a week ago."

Over the rest of the day Alberghi visited the other farms in the area and found a total of 30 sheep, 20 goats and even 10 cows that had the same conditions. He headed back to his office and made a phone call to the Animal Disease Centre (ADC) in Cescedia who immediately sent out couriers for his samples.

16th June 2020 Allied States of Ardia

The ADC had worked through the night and worked out the disease was a new strain of a virus that was common among  sheep and less frequently cattle,yaks, goats, buffalo, deer, dromedaries, and antelope. There was however a strange difference in this one but the scientists couldn't quiet work out what it would mean. As they sat discussing the situation a phone call from Albergi came during the past 24 hours 15 of the animals he'd discovered had died and now a further 50 were ill. Phone calls rang throughout the day as various teams were dispatched to the farms and vets across the country were contacted, by nightfall hundreds of animals had been discovered with the condition, the worry for many was that some of the animals had already been exported for consumption or to stock overseas farms.

18th June 2020 Toshikawa

"What is this?" Taichi Itou a farmer from the town of Gamba asked the cattle market superviser as he pointed to the hoof of one of the cows in a lot he had been considering buying. It was still early in the morning and Itou had arrived early to get a good look. He was thinking of diversifying his herd by importing a new breed from the ASA but he was not too happy about the quality of what he was being shown. The supervisor leapt the barrier into the pen and began looking at the hoof. He checked each of them before moving onto another.

"You're right" the man in the flourescent jacket nodded. He moved onto the next, and the next, and the next each showing the same concerns. "We better pull them" he motioned to the staff to come over and they began herding all the animals from ASA out of the inspection hall. It was only as they began clearing the second pen of cattle that they noticed one was dead a large swollen yellow tongue sticking out. The staff at the market alerted the vet who soon arrived and began the process of examining all the animals that had arrived from ASA.

"When they arrived they all checked out." The manager of the animal market showed the paper work. "They arrived a week ago and everything checked out." He was puzzled as was the rest of the staff.

18th June 2020 Allied States of Ardia

They'd received calls now from Toshikawa about exported animals, they'd also now got over 300 dead sheep, 120 dead cows and they'd even found some wild deer dead with the tell tale sign of the yellow tongue poking out their mouth. Various tests had been done across the nation and even linking with people from Toshikawa. It was clear that what they were up against was something slightly new and that was a concern.

Quote from: INTERNATIONAL NOTICE OF OUTBREAK OF ANIMAL VIRUS

This notice is to inform the international community of an ongoing, and potentially international, outbreak of what we are calling Yellowtongue. This is a virus similar in nature to the Bluetongue virus. We have identified the following species as being susceptible.

Sheep
Cattle
Yaks
Goats
Buffalo
Deer (various sub-species)
Dromedaries
Antelope (various sub-species)

The disease has several symptoms which include high fever, excessive salivation, swelling of the face and tongue and discoloration of the tongue. Swelling of the lips and tongue gives the tongue its typical yellow appearance, though this sign is confined to a minority of the animals. Nasal signs may be prominent, with nasal discharge and stertorous respiration. Some animals also develop foot lesions, beginning with coronitis, with consequent lameness. In sheep, this can lead to knee-walking. In cattle, constant changing of position of the feet gives a restless appearance.

Not all animals develop signs, but all those that do lose condition rapidly, and the sickest die within 2-3 days once symptoms show. For affected animals which do not die, recovery is very slow, lasting several months.

We have so far identified a very varied incubation period of around 5–20 days. The mortality rate is so far around 60-70% in domesticated herds. It is difficult to make a judgement of mortality rate in wild animals.

We have seen this diseases comparable condition of Bluetongue passed between animals in the past by flies and mosquito however this version appears to have also gone airborne and is passed by animals through either saliva or nasal discharges.

We have concerns that some nations may have imported animals in the last month or so and these may be carrying the virus. Additionally we are concerned that products such as unprocessed hide or wool could be carrying the flies or mosquito which carry the virus. As of yet we have yet to identify a treatment or vaccine and urge farmers or anyone else coming into contact with animals likely to catch the disease to isolate those with symptoms or animals that have been imported in the last month.

OOC- This is up to you what you want to happen. This was an idea put forward by Libby. Lets see what happens

Offline Chocomoto

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Open Event - Yellowtongue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:08:52 AM »
17th of June, 2020; Hauxia Republic

"Bluetongue?" An inquisitive voice called out towards a man kneeling next to a rasping sheared sheep on the floor. A sigh escaped his lips as she shook his head, wiping his hands before letting them rest on his knee as he turned to meet the man who spoke. "No actually, similar enough but we haven't had a bluetongue outbreak in this province for at least 20 years. I thought you had this lot vaccinated?" He asked, standing up as the man drew closer only to refuse a handshake as his hands were far from clean after examining the animal. Truth was, the vaccination question was weightless as it wouldn't answer any of the questions he had floating around in his head. The symptoms were strange enough, but there was no telling how infectious it was nor if it was isolated to this particular herd. Other concerns grew as the thought of what else came into contact with the wool in the days leading up to the first symptoms showing.

"Yeah, at least I thought so. Union was very clear about it the last time we had a bluetongue outbreak, these are maybe third or fourth generation, but I haven't had any cases since so I assumed we took care of it. You think this is serious enough to report?" The farmer asked, leaning down and placing a hand on the sheep's head to ease its passing; a somber expression taking over his face.

"No. Or well, I don't know. You telling me this was the only case you have?"

"Only one this bad, yeah. I got a few other heads who are sick, but nothing as terrible as this. Just a few colds here and there, and at least one with pneumonia I believe but nothing sharing all the symptoms this one has." The man explained, gesturing towards the swollen hooves and excessive drooling.

"Hmm. Well keep an eye on it, and report anything you find directly to me. We can bring it up to the union if need be, but I don't want to seem like we're blowing things out of proportion. If word gets out that a bluetongue outbreak has kicked off, then good luck being able to sell these anywhere within Huaxia, let alone the world. You're lucky you sheared them before, should at least tide you over until we get a better understanding of what is going on." He explained while standing up. "Should probably call out a vet as well, but that'll take some time."

The farmer only nodded, keeping his eyes focused on his sheep before sighing to himself. "Yeah, you're right. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible, you know how they can be. Union's fine with it and encourages it and all, but they scare the animals. I'd rather them be sick, not sick and scared if I can help it. A little cold never hurt anyone." He said, his last words sarcastic as he stared at his suffering stock. "I'll give him a call if any others show up like this, might just be a fluke and a combination of many different things. This one had a tendency to catch colds when it was young, so I never paid it much mind but if it spreads to anyone else I'll know somethings up."

With a few simple goodbyes the farmer's friend returned to his truck, taking a gaze at the flock of sheep that dotted the hills on the horizon. Sheared and enjoying their newfound freedom, it was concerning to think that an outbreak might be following short behind.

19th of June, 2020; Hauxia Republic

Reports of Yellowtongue as well as the official word coming from Ardia had done little to slow the flow of commerce within the Republic, spring had ended and summer was in full swing and many farmers throughout the country were eager to sell, trade, and export their recent products. To make matters worse, the news only escalated the situation; demand for wool, dairy, and other animal products increased rapidly in the day following the announcement and potential cases within Hauxia itself. Trade unions from around the nation were desperately trying to fill their quotas as well as prepare for any potential slack in production all while becoming more and more hesitant of potentially infected foreign goods. This fear itself would only continue to grow as more animals were reported dead and the farmers' union began to levy serious concern towards Congress.

20th of June, 2020; Hauxia Republic

Quote from: NATIONAL WATERFRONT UNION IMPLEMENTS INSPECTIONS
Effective on the 21st of June, 8:00AM HST the following changes will go into effect:

All livestock traveling to and from Huaxia will be subject to inspection by staff on site. Any livestock found to be contaminated shall be removed and transported to local veterinary hospitals. All livestock that had come into contact with infected product shall be quarantined immediately for the maximum of 7 days.

Domestic livestock bound for other domestic ports are exempt from this ruling so long as they provide proper identification.

Livestock being loaded onto rail are to have their rail cabins thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before another shipment can be made in order to prevent further contamination deeper into the country.

Contaminated cadavers are to be disposed of via burning of corpses on site.

Foreign ships entering Huaxia are to be informed at least 2 days before entering port of the change of protocol.

Susceptible species that are kept as pets are exempt from the changes above.

Congress of Trade
贸易大会

Following the news of Yellowtongue, Huaxia would like to exercise caution in foreign exports globally. While the effects at the moment are considered negligible, if unchecked livestock shipped overseas could only accelerate the potential economic and humanitarian impact. Huaxia itself is a large exporter of meat, dairy, and wool and relies on sufficient imports to keep its population fed. With a mortality rate reported by Ardia's ADC of 60-70% the possibility of a global outbreak must be avoided at all costs. The actions taken by the National Waterfront Union earlier this morning shall go into effect on the 21st of June, and while it would be unwise for Huaxia to suggest foreign policy for other nations beyond itself I can only speak for myself and my constituents from the Hauxian Farmers League in suggesting that other nations follow suite with stricter control on the export and import of livestock. As of now, I have been given permission to ship samples from Hauxian's own stock of infected animals to other agencies throughout the world that would wish to help the ADC in understanding and potentially developing a vaccine for this new virus.

Chairman of the HFL
Xian Zi

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ni
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
June the 20th, 2020, office of Ronald Erts, Hootoft City, Aschlon

"Sorry what?" asked Ronald Erts, head of the Contracting Department of the Market of Farmers.
The lawyer at the other end of the table sighed. "There's a livestock disease going around sir," he explained, "the suppliers, that is the famers, are demanding we do something. The experts call it yellow tongue, its got quite a high death rate amongst the animals."
"Are we entitled to help?"
"No sir," the lawyer said "We aren't legally required, but if we want to sell any meat this time next year we'll all be out of luck."
"Have you told any other of the higher ups?" Ronald asked, the lawyer shook his head. Ronald pressed the button on his desk and spoke into his microphone. "Judy dear," he called to his secretary, "call an emergency meeting will you?"
He stretched and stood up. MacDonald would not be happy about this.

Offline Wadden

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Wadden
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 01:21:56 PM »
15th June 2020

Ghayth Najjar observed the scene before him and shook his head in astonishment. One of his scouts from the Abd al-Qays tribe he commanded had returned to camp just before sunrise having ridden from the Quttah Oasis which the tribe was due to arrive at in two days time. It was the usual thing to do that as the tribe moved to the next oasis on their turn that a group of scouts headed their ahead of the tribe to check everything was in order and sometimes even do a spot of trading with the tribe that was vaccating the area. Baqir had ridden his camel most of the last 24 hours with the carcass strapped to its back. He had insisted the Chief be woken immediately and now stood at the entrance to the Chiefs tent he had unwrapped the goat.

"What is this?" The Chief asked more retorically than expecting an answer.

"We are not sure my lord but there are ten more of them. We followed the tracks away from the oasis, must have been four days ago maybe and it was clear some of their herd was lame." Baqir explained. When they had arrived at the oasis they had found several carcasses dotted around where the Taghlib ibn Wa'il tribe had been staying. It was strange as they were not due to move their encampment until today yet clearly they had gone early. That in itself was not unheard of because tribes situations changed, leaving early was not a problem, staying late was but more worryingly leaving the dead undisposed of was one of the worst things you could do. It was in many ways an insult as the remains would bring predators to the region endangering the next tribes livestock which was their life-line, it also left disease. A few of the elders of the tribe had gathered and poked and prodded the creature before them.

"Its like the swelling sickness[1] but this isn't right." one man pulled the goats tongue out and looked closely at it. The swelling sickness gave a distinct blue tint to the swollen tongue however this was more of a yellow hue. "I'm not sure what this is but it is not good."

Chief Ghayth Najjar thought for a moment and then turned to Baqir "Ride back to the Oasis, take the carcasses several miles away from where we will camp. I want you to burn them if you can otherwise leave them for the wild." Fuel was a rarity for fires, infact it was more a case of using dung but that was never going to be enough to cremate several animals. The Chief was also keen to preserve what stocks of solid wood they had for the coming weeks and any unexpected jobs such as this were a problem. "Take a horse." the Chief instucted his scout who bowed respectfully and prepared to retrace his journey.

17th June 2020

"Dirty son's of whores" Ghayth Najjar exclaimed, the tribe gathered behind him concerned. "Baqir!!" he exclaimed, "Why did you not tell me this before?" he demanded as he watched two boys drag a dead goat out of the water at the centre of the oasis.

"My Lord I swear it was not here when I came back." He knelt before the Chief concerned that he was seen as a failure. "Forgive me."

Najjar trusted Baqir and while he was angry he was also positive that Baqir would not lie to him. The chief motioned for several of his senior men to follow him away from the 400 or so members of the tribe who were travelling with them. He spoke in a low tone, "Those bastards from the Taghlib ibn Wa'il have done this. They know markets are a few months away and they want to destroy our herd. We can't use this water now and we are stuck here for three weeks." He looked around. "Where is the next nearest watering hole that's empty."

A man with a bald head but long beard thought, "Two days east I think." He pronounced, "We could send scouts in caravans with skins but we should also set up the desert stills. The men nodded in agreement.

"How far away are the Taghlib ibn Wa'il?" the chief asked.

"Three days North." The bearded man explained.

"Baqir prove yourself. I want you to take 30 of the militia and the rifles. Go take water from the Taghlib ibn Wa'il." The chief ordered.

20th June 2020

The Taghlib ibn Wa'il had been easier to find than Baqir had expected. They clearly were not travelling as fast as they should have as it took only about two days to catch them. Baqir and his militia men and women had managed to sneak ahead of them using dunes as cover and now as the sun was about to raise they took aim. Every tribe stood a group of people as watchman for their animals they were expected to ensure no wild animals took off the livestock and were usually armed but as Baqir knew many of the watchman were only youngsters given the night shift to allow the experienced herdsman to sleep. The four of the six watchman fell as the militia fired their first shots and was people began emerging from tents to investigate they too were gunned down. It didn't take long for panic to set in as the tribe below the dunes began running for their lives. Baqir and his fellow fighters kept gunning them down. By leaving the Abd al-Qays without water the Taghlib ibn Wa'il had all but consigned them to see some of the weaker members of the tribe die, even their livestock would suffer especially the Taghlib ibn Wa'il having left disease for them. Vengance was to be expected in such circumstances and Baqir made sure to kill everyone they could find. The killing over they looked for tracks to ensure no one had escaped. It was clear this was not the main body of the  Taghlib ibn Wa'il tribe, nor was their chief here but it was still important that the do their best to cover their tracks. They picked up as much of their empty cases as possible and then took several blankets and rugs tying them behind horses. They also took as many of the  Taghlib ibn Wa'il's horses and camals as possible. The clean up done the Abd al-Qays militia did their best to cover their tracks, three scouts walked on foot several kilometers in the opposite direction herding the captured camals and horses before them. Satisfied they had gone far enough they picked out three animals and headed back to their own camp using rugs and blankets tied behind the animals to remove their own tracks. The same process was going on with the main body as they made their way back with all the water they could carry to tell their Chief vegance had been taken.
 1. Waddanites know livestock very well but aren't medically trained. swelling sickness is what they'll call blue tongue.

Offline badlegoblox

• Microstate
    • View Profile
    • Ubrriekland Factbook
  • Your Nation: Ubrriekland
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
17th june

The Whole Administratum of Import and Export under Economic High Administratum is crowded and full of busy scribe and administrator. Report of a new outbreak of blue tongue in ASA, turn the whole department into panic. while there still no significant presence on Ubrriekland Ranch and Farmstead, any cattle or sheep livestock or their product is being confiscated in their respective port of arrival. massive preparation and planning is underway and any export or import of livestock produce is being stopped. and a message to inform the high lord and the emperor have been sent.

18th June

"Perceval, is this a good or bad report?" said Severinus while he checking the document given to him.
'it seem this virus is shown to be spread faster than we expect, and some wild game might be expected to be already infected too.'
"very well then, please prepare a new contingency and plan for this situation. we have nearly got into famine 20 years before my reign and unification. we cant let my reign be the first to get it."
"please inform some of the information to the soleimani too, and see how they react. if luck and fate is on our side we might be able to cooperate with them to avoid any wild migration throught our border is infected."

while ubrriekland is not a agriculture nation, they still relied heavily on self sufficiency. Considering they just go out from isolationist policy, the chance of a damage to their agriculture sector will hit them bad and let them into famine.

21th june

independent plan have been made and a whole southern border and coastal border is full with checkpoint for any import livestock and wild animal inspection. in response too any meat based food is prohibited to be sold and consumed until next decree and situation regressing back to normal.

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
17th of June

Anais Delacruz, New Derusmian Minister of Agriculture and Environment and Leader of the Green Party sat at her office desk in the MoĆ building in disbelief. He was reading the printed version of the International Notice that was just laid out on his desk by her secretary.

“When did we receive this?”

“Just now, ma’am.”

During her tenure, she had never been in such a situation. It was always just basic problems, cutting the ribbons on new infrastructure, and so on. Dealing with a contagious newly discovered animal disease was a completely different thing. She laid back into his chair and spun it towards the large window behind and began to brainstorm the best course of action.

“How many farmers have reported animal deaths to ‘Yellowtongue’ in the country?”

“None yet.”

Awkward silence followed. Then, her secretary spoke up again. “Is there anything you need me to do, Ms. Delacruz?”

After having her thoughts interrupted, she turned back to the secretary at the door.

“Inform the Minister of Economy and the President. Get DWBS on this as well. I need to think about how the hell I handle this mess.” She left, and Anais turned towards the window yet again and began to brainstorm.

Around half an hour later, she had finished typing down and printing the statement she would make on live TV.

Quote from: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND ENVIRONMENT - Addressed to the New Derusmian Farmer’s Union - On ‘Yellowtongue’ Animal Disease

Today, in the nations of the Allied States of Ardia, Toshikawa, and Ubrriekland, confirmations of sighting of an animal disease only known as ‘Yellowtongue’ have been reported. It is said to be similar to Bluetongue, but can also be transmitted by nasal and saliva discharge, as well as through the air. The mortality rate of this disease is reported to be between 60% to 70%.

Those who are in ownership of the following are advised to exercise caution, and follow the instructions laid out by the Government:

Sheep, Cattle, Yaks, Goats, Buffalo, Deer and its sub-species, Dromedaries, and Antelopes and its subspecies

We must all do what we can to stop the spread of this virus. If any livestock shows signs of ‘Yellowtongue’, transport them to a veterinarian hospital immediately. Any livestock who have been in contact with the infected should be placed in quarantine for 20 days. The Ministry will continue to announce instructions and updates on the situation as it develops.

Happy with her announcement, Anais exited her office and turned to her secretary. “Susan, please let the press know I’m about to give an announcement.

“Well, it’s a good thing that we barely import livestock, eh? We’re the ones always exporting, anyways.” After saying his goodbyes, he hung up the phone on the Minister of Agriculture and Environment’s Secretary.

The New Derusmian Minister of Economy, Georg Jaeger sat at his office desk in the MoE building. From a phone call, he had just received the news from Minister Delacruz, or rather, her secretary, of the ‘Yellowtongue’ disease that was now spreading across the continent. Although this was his first time experiencing an animal disease, he perfectly knew the procedure for economically dealing with one. He thought for a minute, and then pushed a button on his desk and called for his secretary.

“Patricia, I’ll be sending out an announcement in about an hour, could you notify the press please?”

“Of course Mr. Jaeger.”

He left the TV in his office on, and as he began typing down his announcement, he could hear in the background his colleague, Minister Delacruz, giving her speech in front of the MoĆ building, live on DWBS news.

Quote from: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE MINISTRY OF ECONOMY - Addressed to the New Derusmian agricultural sector and New Derusmian trade partners - On ‘Yellowtongue’ Animal Disease

As you may have already heard from my colleague, a new disease known as 'Yellowtongue', similar to Bluetongue, is spreading internationally. As such, we will be taking extra precautions to keep our livestock and agriculture sector safe, and to prevent any economic problems or famine.

All imports of livestock are to be banned until further notice. All exports will not be banned, but will be slightly restricted. Any shipments of livestock leaving the country will now be subjected to a health and safety check. We will also be introducing new hygiene and disease protection measures for domestic and international transport of livestock to prevent the spread of 'Yellowtongue' deeper into the nation.

Effective at 6AM EAMT in 3 days.

Please continue to follow instructions from the Ministries and from the Federal government.

After writing, he had his announcement printed out and began his walk downstairs towards where a press statement area had been set up for him. Although it didn't seem like that big of a deal, Georg was still quite worried that the disease may harshly impact the Agricultural Sector, New Derusmia's largest and most profitable sector. He hoped that this entire ordeal would be sorted with by next month, although it seemed there was no hope of that happening.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:42:09 AM by Franfish McGee »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »
23rd June, Gowu

Leonardo Amberbrook otherwise known as Leo was used to getting called in for veterinary consultations, in fact it was mostly what he did in the vet world these days. He ran probably the best known and most highly regarded vets practice in Achkaerin, however despite all his familiarity with getting called in for consultations, even out in the fields of Gowu like today, hadn't prepared him for anything like this a dead antelope right in the middle of the wilderness, normally he wouldn't have had much to go on except that it looked remarkably like Bluetongue in fact he would have certified that as the cause of death had he not a matter of hours earlier been reading through everything on Yellowtongue.

"Damn it." Leo said as he examined the dead antelope, the signs were there "Cause of death appears to be Yellowtongue. Is this exactly where you found it?"

"Yes sir." the local farmer said

"Ok I'll make the arrangements to dispose of the body." Leo said, he looked over the grassy plain landscape toward the south, this was not good by any stretch of the imagination.

23rd June, Marble Palace, Valtheim

Peter had sat in many meetings of the Round Table Conference, the Achkaerinese crisis management body, but this was the first time that something like this had been the subject of discussion, they had Leo on a video channel.

"In short Your Majesty, we've got a confirmed case of Yellowtongue outside of the herd bubble." Leo said "Which is worrying because if this virus is in the wild animal population then the ability of this thing to spread is a lot greater and it becomes a lot harder to contain. If I could hand over to Tammy to explain?"
"Of course." Peter said "Doctor Axon?"
"Thank you." Doctor Tammy Axon, the governments science advisor, said bringing up a general map of the Ardian peninsula "Between the Allied States of Ardia and Rokkenjima there are the nations of Nueva Ardia, Toshikawa and Phuebra as well as Gowu. The problem is that a significant proportion of that entire area is wide open spaces and we know that there are a lot of animal migratory patterns through there. So it becomes possible for a herd to carry the virus across distance and of course interaction with other animals means this thing can spread quite rapidly."
"And then there's the food chain issue." Leo said "I haven't come across a case of this yet it's theoretically possible that if a predator took an infected animal and ate it, then the predator could become infected."

"We have another issue as well." Lizbeth Stewart, the home affairs minister, said "We know the first reported case was in the Allied States of Ardia, what we don't know is where ground zero is."
"The incubation period is long enough that it could be outside the Allied States." Tammy said
"Where are we on testing?" Michael Williams asked, as soon as news of this had been announced by the Allied States of Ardia the Achkaerinese Government had started working on aspects of it.
"We've got a plan." Tammy said "We can test using tranq darts, marking the animals and then when we get the results appropriate action can be taken. Any animals that test positive we can quarantine. Any that die we need to burn the carcasses of."

"That's all fine in a domestic sense but not to put too fine a point on it but the Ardian peninsula is a wide open space with migratory species so unless you're suggesting we actually capture each herd of wild animals which is mission impossible by the way..." Leo said

"Leo how would you do it in the wild?" Peter asked
"Well we'd have to tranq the animals, examine them and make a judgement call based on whether their showing the symptoms of Yellowtongue." Leo said "It would be far from perfect but with migrating herds we'd have to fly by the seat of our pants a bit, if I can get some help I can set something up."
"Chief Councillor?" Peter asked looking at the other screen where the Chief Councillor of Gowu Xialoing Tsu had been listening

"Well domestically to Gowu I can implement the measures Doctor Axon outlined, on the wild animal element that's got to be a judgement call but I'll talk with Governor Saunders in Phuebra and of course Sora and the Rokkenjiman and Nueva Ardian Governments because if we've got to worry about wild herds then that's going to need a joint effort." Xiaoling said

"Other measures?" Peter asked looking around the table
"We should consider restrictions on the importing of food." Viola Summers, the Minister of Trade, said "We as in the northern mainland don't import meat from the Ardian Peninsula area but Gowu does import meat from Toshikawa I believe."
"Correct." Xiaoling said
"We should also start looking at vaccine development." Tammy said "I'd like to take advantage of Huaxia's offer of samples and get started."
"Agreed." Peter said "Viola what restrictions did you have in mind?"
"Any meat import from an affected country needs to be stopped." Viola said "We're lucky in that we produce a lot of meat ourselves so we don't import that much of it, but farmers may import livestock, which is why testing will be important. But we do need to restrict livestock importing as well."

Actions in Relation to Yellowtongue

The Achkaerinese Government recognizes the current situation surrounding the Yellowtongue virus and it's rampant spread to several nations, in response to the current situation the Achkaerinese Government is implementing the following steps:

1) The importing of livestock is banned as of midnight on the 24th June 2020, this ban will be reviewed and potentially extended if necessary on 1st August 2020.

2) All domestic animals that fall within the identified at risk categories (Sheep, Cattle, Yaks, Goats, Buffalo, Deer and its sub-species, Dromedaries, and Antelopes and its subspecies) will be subject to testing by Vets. Any animals that test positive are to be isolated and quarantined for a period of 30 days. Should an infected animal die the carcass will be burned.

3) Development of a vaccine and treatment programs will be undertaken and the Achkaerinese Government would welcome the assistance of Huaxia authorities in providing samples for that purpose, we would also welcome collaboration from other nations in this effort.

4) In relation to Gowu the approach that has been agreed upon, following consultation with the Gowu authorities, sees mirroring of the content of points 1 & 2 in this press release. In addition because of the wild animal herd factor seen in the Ardian Peninsula area there will also be an adapted testing methodology put in place. We appreciate that the Ardian Peninsula is not the only space on Mundus like this and if other nations would like further information on specific steps in relation to this point then we advise they contact the Gowu Authorities.

Hannah Cartwright
Royal Press Secretary
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:26:32 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ni
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »
June 21st 2020

"Gentleman," began Ronald Erts, "I have called this meeting today so we may talk about the current "yellowtongue" thats going round, killing off our suppliers livestock, and ultimately, our profit. Many of them have looked to us to help them, and before we make any major decisions, I thought it would be best we all spoke our minds on the subject. I beleive you've all been given the brief?"
The people sitting round the table mumbled that yes, they had. Erts looked around at the assembled table and then took his seat, indicating he had finished seating. Macdonald, CEO and founder of the company stood up, his size leaving him towering over everyone.
"Your brief was very, well brief, Erts, it didn't cover much on the disease," he smirked at his pun, "What do we know about it?" This was directed at George Culther, the quivering head of R and D.
"Well," he said nervously, "we don't know much about it, what we do know is that it infects cattle and usually kills them, and has an incubation period of around three weeks, apart from that we are in the dark, sir."
"Ugh," Macdonald groaned, "get working on it then, take in some cattle and do the science things you do so well, and get me more info on it."
He turned to the rest of the group as Culther darted out the room.
"In the mean time, advise quarantining each animal apart from each other for the incubation period, and then setting them together again if they don't have. Until we know more, keep selling the meat of infected animals, buisness needs to continue. Hopefully we can get a vaccine, or whatever is used nowadays. This meeting is concluded, any developments send to me."

Under the advice given by the Market of Farmers, many of their suppliers are taking the following steps:
-Quaranting cows apart for the incubation period
-Only selling meat attained the dead.
Many other companies are advising thier suppliers to follow simiar steps.
So far the Aschlonian government has yet to get involed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:32:46 AM by Geo »

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 09:32:18 PM »
June 25th, Presidential Palace

The Minister of Agriculture was nervous, given the nature of his position he rarely had cause to bother the President especially at such an inconvenient time but this was an emergency. One of the guards standing by the door to the President's office listened intently to his earpiece before calling to him "The President is ready to see you now, be quick, he doesn't sound happy." The Minister nodded and walked to the door opening it slightly and sliding through to the richly decorated chamber beyond.

"Revi, what do I owe the pleasure of being called to work at this late hour for?" said Kadassa from his seat behind the expanse of his desk.

"Mr President, I have some urgent news that I have to bring to your attention."

"What is it? Another fertiliser shortage?"

"No Sir, its..."

"Don't tell me we are understocked on tractor components!" said Kadassa with mock horror.

"Sir it's about the yellow tongue pandemic."

"What about it? It's Emet's punishment on the barbarous nations that think it's okay to consume flesh."

"Yes Sir, but the thing is we have confirmed a case in Lakhzovia"

Kadassa sat up in his chair, now fully attentive "But how? Our laws prevent animal slaughter and the sale of meat, how have we ended up with the carnist plague?"

"We have been doing tracing on the affected animal Sir, it appears it was imported into the country last week from Ardia, marked on customs reports as being a 'rare-breed long-wool sheep' apparently to contribute to a farm that specialised in producing fleece for the high end wool industry. Unfortunately it seems that it was actually destined for an illegal abattoir in Transmecuria..."

"Those fucking Utman scum. I should have known it would be them that would bring a plague to our country, who am I kidding, they are the plague" snarled Kadassa.

Revi shifted uncomfortably on his feet, he had been raised in the relatively liberal city of Herzluriya and had never held the sort of hatred of the Utman that was common among those elsewhere in the country. "Sir, I regret to inform you that given the nature of the virus there is a very real risk that if this were to escape our control that it would devastate the population of wild Lakhzov Ibex, possibly to the extent of driving them extinct. We need to take immediate action to halt the spread of this disease, and as much as it is against our sacred values to do so, I think you need to consider authorising us to euthanise any affected animals and their respective herds."

Kadassa gave Revi a stare that seemed to bore a hole through him before finally muttering "You're right, we need to make tough decisions to prevent this getting out of control. At the same time I do not want it to be public knowledge that we are euthanising animals, for one it would have the Medaberim up in arms and stir up an enormous public backlash, second I don't want the public to get wind that this is the fault of the Utman. We are just concluding the whole Utman Autonomous Region business and that is key for certain future relations, I can't have that jeopardised by a public scandal around illegal Utman abattoirs. For now all I want the public to know is that the government, while not being aware of any direct risk to Lakhzovia, is taking the current yellow-tongue pandemic seriously and will therefore be ceasing any and all movement of livestock into or within the country. In the meantime you do what you have to do to get this under control."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:07:05 PM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
Cabinet Room, Houses of Parliament
Tsargrad, East Crownlands
June 25, 2020 - 2:17 PM

Prime Minister Madeline Thatcher swore loudly.  This was so unexpected and so unlike her that it caused most of the cabinet ministers in the room to jump rather comically.  Francis Barrow, Minister of Agriculture, just about fell out of his chair.  "Why in the name of everything that's holy," the Prime Minister shouted at him, "Am I only just finding out about this now?  This should have been on my desk a week ago, so that we could act promptly to prevent catastrophe, but no!  Why on earth is this the first I'm hearing of this disease?  What have you been doing for the past week, Francis?"

Barrow seemed to wilt under the furious tirade now being directly at him.  "I didn't think--" he began.

"No you most certainly didn't," Thatcher retorted, calming down just a bit, "If there's anything you did when you learned of this, thinking absolutely wasn't it."

"Come, now," Barrow said, bristling slightly, "That's hardly fair.  We didn't know the full scale of the disaster until this morning, and there aren't any confirmed cases in Tytor right now anyway."

"With the incubation period it's got, it's only a matter of time," Thatcher shot back.

"Well, I believe we can still salvage the situation," Barrow pressed on, "But we need to move fast.  We need to shut off importation of affected animals without delay, and we need to devote resources to tracking the disease once it's confirmed to have entered the country.  If we don't act promptly now, we will have missed the boat completely.  In fact, I'd go so far as to--"

Barrow's phone buzzed from where it sat on the table, and the man glanced at it.  Thatcher looked at it too and raised an eyebrow.  "Well?" she prompted, "You were saying?"

"We've got it," Barrow said somewhat listlessly.

"Got what?" Thatcher asked, a feeling of dawning comprehension stealing over her.

Barrow swallowed.  "Well," he said, "Authorities in Farmington just confirmed Tytor's first known case of Yellowtongue."
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Wadden

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Wadden
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 11:14:36 PM »
It had taken the best part of the week for the Taghlib ibn Wa'il to discover that one of their groups had disappeared. It was only when they had failed to turn up to one of the whole tribe councils that the chief of the Taghlib ibn Wa'il, Khaliq Darzi, had sent a group of his huntsman to go looking for them and several days later they returned with reports of 200 or so dead, their livestock missing. They'd found a pair of youngsters, boys who couldn't have been anymore than 10 years old barely alive wandering the desert. Had it not been for them the chances of Khaliq Darzi finding out what had happened would for sure would have been negligable. The only problem that Darzi had was he couldn't be sure who had done this, several days of desert winds had covered all the tracks and the items they'd found at the scene could have belonged to anyone, most of the tribes carried variants of old durable AK47's or old hunting rifles. There had been three other tribes within a few days ride of the encampment and Darzi had no way of knowing if any of the livestock those tribes had once belonged to his group. He was therefore left with little choice other than to go to the Sultan.

OOC - I'm going to make a spin off thread for this probably in vignettes so it doesn't get confusing.

Offline Izhitsa

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Izhitsa
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 06:28:58 AM »
"Yes, Mr. Hatsek, I get what you're saying, but I don't quite see what the big deal is." Dushan held the phone to his ear as he prepared breakfast in his flat. He was starting to get tired of fried potatoes, but needs must, as his mother always told him.
"Ondrevich, I don't think you understand," said Bartolomey, the other voice on the phone. He seemed to be even more peeved off than usual today. "This is rapidly turning into a pandemic. Do you really think Izhitsa can continue to ignore this much longer?"
"It's just a kind of bluetongue, right?" said Dushan, trying a somewhat charred mass of potato before grimacing. "I mean, it sucks if your cows get it, but it's not too hard to control. When was the last time we had a serious outbreak, anyway?"
"You have a lot of experience working on farms, yes?" said Bartolomey. "Have you ever heard of the Turenova breed of cattle?"
"No."
"How about the Trkhana? The Ziushaa? Or the Farova?"
"Did you just ring me up to read the encyclopedia at me?" said Dushan, searching frantically for a plate.
"The reason you haven't heard of them," said Bartolomey, "is because of the last bluetongue outbreak we had in Izhitsa. 1952. Look it up."
Dushan stood, his mouth agape and his potatoes burning.
"I take it you'll convince the Chairman to take action, then," said Bartolomey.
"Yes," said Dushan. "Just give me a few minutes." He hurriedly scooped the remains of his potatoes into a bowl.

Regarding the outbreak of "yellowtongue"
Izhitsa watches with alarm at the outbreak of what appears to be a new form of bluetongue in several disconnected countries at once. Because this indicates that transmission has already been happening for quite some time, it is imperative to take early, serious action to combat the disease.
As of 26 Jun 2020, the provisional government is taking the following actions to prevent the spread of the disease into Izhitsa.
1) The import of livestock has been banned, pending further information on the exact nature of the disease and its vectors.
2) Exports will be inspected for signs of the disease at their port of departure.
3) All farmers in both administrative zones are required inspect their livestock daily for signs of the disease and should notify local authorities immediately on discovery.
4) A task force is being assembled to guide Izhitsa's reaction to the disease as the situation develops.

Signed,
Matvey Karamovo, Chairman of Izhitska Ednota
Antek Dzhavid, High Lord of Yach

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
Its a well known fact on Gustavia that when the height of summer was reached the Police reached the height of their work. It was probably because the mines that made up a lot of the interior of the island took the hot summer months to carry out their maintainence work. It served a dual purpose, first it allowed the workers to be given a time off all together meaning the plant machinery used there could be better inspected and if needed repaired. It also meant that the problem of the ventilation in the tropical heatwave wouldn't be needed and running the system was expensive. The problem for the towns on the coast though meant they now had a large number of men, with for what in Paracambi was a lot of money in their pocket, descend upon the towns. "Ten Marks its two guys arguing over a woman." Officer Jose Lima of the Gustavia Police said to his colleague Sergeant Peter Washington as they stepped out of the local police station and into one of the two pale blue police cars sat outside. There was no hurry in their view, it'd be two guys arguing over either a woman, a game of cards or a spilt beer.

Washington looked at his watch, 11:08 am. "Too early for women, someone will have split a drink." he countered. The drive wasn't too far and the only reason why they'd took the car rather than perhaps jogged to the scene was because they'd likely have to take someone back to the station in handcuffs. They didn't even bother with the sirens and as they approached the scene they began to instantly think perhaps neither of them would win today's bet. Outside one of the towns many dive bars a crowd had gathered but it was actually the small market opposite that was the scene of the disturbance. Washington made the decision to blast the siren for a short while as he parked up and the crowd parted a little to reveal a pen of around four or five animals, a market salesman and two brightly dressed individuals. "Oh shit" the Sergeant muttered under his breath. The two men were Zangbeto, religiously appointed officials who were expected to enforce Vodou rules about a whole host of things. The crowd withdrew a little more to make room as Washington and Lima approached. "Good morning" the Sergeant said merrily. "What seems to be the problem?"

"These two" the market stall holder began. "They..."

"Silence" one of the Zangbeto yelled at the trader. He reached into his brightly patterned trousers and removed a ID badge. "I am Zangbeto Rush" He showed his official I.D that granted him the right for the next 12 months to ensure the Ioa were well respected. Unlike in some parts of the Empire the Zangbeto on Gustavia were appointed directly by the Duke and did have slightly more powers than elsewhere within the Empire. It created a grey area the Police hated, while the Zangbeto couldn't actually enforce laws they could create scenes like this where it was much simpler to agree with them rather than allow what many believed were the religious police to whip the population into a frenzy. "This man. He is licenced to sell animals for sacrifice to the Ioa, but look at the garbage he is selling." Without a word and despite the protests of the trader Rush clambered over the small fence and roughly grabbed one of the small goats and brought it to the fence. He pulled open the animals mouth revealing a horribly discoloured and swollen tongue. Next he reached down and showed the Police the hoof. "This animal is diseased, it is not fit to be offered to the Ioa."

"Please get out of the pen Sir." Washington motioned politely and Rush did as instructed but not before waiting a little as though considering defying the Police officer. "There is no crime that has been committed but...."

"You enforce the laws of the Emperor" Rush yelled loud enough for the crowd to hear who mumbled that they agreed. "The Emperor is the most powerful Hougon of the Vodou faith. Do you think he would permit this? If you think for a moment you know he will not. Therefore if you do not take action then you are defying your Emperor. Is that what you want Sergeant."

Washington could sense the crowd growing restless agreeing with the Zangbeto. "I'll tell you what sir." Washington could see the market stall trader looking as though he realised at any moment this crowd may turn on him whipped up by the anger of the zealot Zangbeto. "We can take action to stop potentially unsafe foods being sold." This was a stall dealing with Vodou ritualistic objects, it was far cheaper to go and buy meat from a butcher rather than buy an animal for sacrifice and the stall owner was about to point out he wasn't selling food but Officer Lima pulled him back to prevent his protest and in that moment the trader seemed to understand what was happening. "We'll have a vet come and inspect the animals. If the vet says they're not fit for human consumption we'll seize them and then issue a summons. If the vet says they are fit for human consumption then surely the Ioa would be happy with them, or is there something else wrong." Washington was not as well read in the faith as the Zangbeto but he understood enough to know that if a human could eat the food then the Ioa would too. Washington also knew that it would take the rest of the day until a vet could get here and then tomorrow the stall owner would be somewhere else in Gustavia, and then this wouldn't be his problem.

"That is fair. Papa Legba would smile at your decision" The Zangbeto seemed to instantly be calmed, maybe because Washington had made it seem like he'd given Rush the decision on the course of action.

Washington was right, it took until 3pm for the vet to arrive and by that time the crowd had returned to their lives and only Rush remained standing a kind of lone guard over the goats to make sure that the animals were not removed or sold. The vet took one look and was immediately aware of what he was looking at, he'd been keeping up to date with the goings on across Mundus and now it seemed Gustavia had its first cases.

In Aluhampton the Emperor was not shocked when his Agricultural adviser entered his office with a stack of papers. "Your Imperial Majesty" he stood in front of the desk and bowed.

"Let me guess William" the Emperor leaned back a concerned look on his face. "Yellow-tongue?" he had been aware of the disease thanks to the global media and suspected it wouldn't be long before a case was found in the Empire. Seeing William Manningham come in was a sight he was expecting sooner rather than later.

"Yes Sir" William responded. "I have here all the reports that have come in. I can talk you through them and we can....."

"William" The Emperor stood and walked round to the adviser taking the folders from his hands and seemed to weight them on his flat palms. "The weight alone tells me that you're concerned and I trust you have a plan. Is that correct?" William nodded that he indeed had. "Then I'll support it. Do whatever needs to be done." The Emperor trusted his advisers and while he would read the folder it would take him hours if not longer. In his mind it made it far simpler to just go along with it for now, after all he was an Emperor not a farmer or vet.

The Empire of Paracambi is sad to report four cases of Yellow-Tongue have been found on the island of Gustavia. It is well known that livestock trading between the provinces of the Empire is common and has very little if any internal checks. As a result it is highly likely that more cases shall sadly follow. The four animals have been destroyed and were discovered at a Vodou paraphanalia stall at a market. As such we are now tracing their origins. With immediate effect the following measures will be implemented across the Empire. Furthermore to help speed up the detection of the virus I am authorising all Zangbeto to carry out inspections of livestock.

1. Any livestock scheduled for transportation within the Empire must be kept in quarantine for 14 days prior to leaving their originating province.

2. Any livestock imported into the Empire from outside must be kept in quarantine for 21 days before leaving the port of entry.

3. Any animal showing symptoms of Yellow-Tongue must be destroyed immediately.

4. A compensation scheme shall be established for destroyed animals.

5. Any farmer in areas unable to employ a vet to carry out destruction of an animal may do so so long as the animal is shot. To claim compensation the farmer must present the tongue of the infected animal.

6. Anyone found breaking these orders will be liable to 2 years in prison and/or a 200,000 M ($200,000) fine.
[/quote]

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »

As of Sunday 28th June 2020 the government of the Allied States of Ardia have confirmed a total of 1,381 animals infected with Yellow-tongue, these are only animals confirmed as having the infection. In addition a further 1,197 tests are awaiting their results. To date 749 animals have been found dead and tested positive for the disease with a further 288 animals having been destroyed.

The ASA have immediately stopped all imports of live animals and meat products. For the next 21 days the government will also prevent any livestock being sent abroad.

We believe that this outbreak did not originate in the ASA as what we had believed to be "Patient Zero" was discovered at a farm which had imported livestock from several nations in order to diversify their stock as part of a genetic strengthening attempt. We however at this time are unable to work out which animal was the true originator of the virus and therefore can not be specific with the origin of the virus.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:51 PM »

As of Tuesday 14th July 2020 the government of the Allied States of Ardia have confirmed a total of 3,541 animals infected with Yellow-tongue, these are only animals confirmed as having the infection. In addition a further 2,142 tests are awaiting their results. To date 1,242 animals have been found dead and tested positive for the disease with a further 488 animals having been destroyed.

Following observations from several veterinarians who have been working in the farms a new symptom has been identified. In postmortem tests carried out on some of the dead animals swelling of the optic nerve has been discovered. Some of the behaviour of infected animals indicates that they may have problems with their vision as several have been observed colliding with other animals or their enclosure. This is a connection that is still being investigated by the nations veterinarian institutes however initial indications are that this vision impairment is a symptom of the virus.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 09:14:03 PM »
https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=150.msg17708#msg17708 - Connection to the Northfort News confirming that the virus' damage to eye sight has jumped to humans.

RETCONNED
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:46:07 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »

To: the International Community

As of the 30th of July, the Ministry of Agriculture and Environment have confirmed 4021 cases of Yellowtongue within New Derusmia (many tests still in progress), with a further 1834 animals now deceased from issues relating to the virus.

Any nations who had exported sheep, cattle, yaks, goats, buffalo, deer and its sub-species, dromedaries, and antelopes and its subspecies before the Yellowtongue outbreak from New Derusmia, please take extra precautions to not worsen the infection. Furthermore, the Allied States of Ardia have released information of a vision impairment symptom that has recently arisen in Yellowtongue patients. An investigation is currently ongoing in order to determine to whether New Derusmia was the origin nation of 'Patient Zero'.