Author Topic: A way out (Kopsje and Tamora)  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
A way out (Kopsje and Tamora)
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:10:43 PM »

To: The Foreign Office of Kopsje

The Empire of Tamora continues to be gravely concerned over the law passed in Kopsje that infringes on the religious liberty of those that follow the Prophet and other religions. While we understand your government’s right to issue and enforce its own laws, the Tamoran government is also concerned about the state of the Manist community in Kopsje as well as Tamoran and other MidAranye nationals especially the Clysperi national known as Hafsah.

As you are aware, tensions between the Empire of Tamora which stands by the kingdom of Clysperis, and Kopsje are increasing at a rapid pace as seen by the recent military exercises. It is for this reason that I would like to keep a line of communication open between our two governments and inform you that should the government of Kopsje agree to extradite Hafsah to Clysperis and find a way to provide exemptions to the law for the religious communities of the Manist, Islamic and Kemetic faiths we would be to not only deescalate the current state of affairs but also provide some financial assistance to Kopsje. I strongly urge Kopsje  to consider the offer and choose the path of deescalation. We already see governments such as the one of Empire of Achkaerin using the incident to inflate religious tension as seen with the High Priestess Alexis Minette incident. The Tamoran government is appalled at their actions and this is one of the reasons why we seek to deescalate.

We remain open to  any proposals you might have or suggestion.

Respectfully yours,
Alya Safavid
Head of Foreign Affairs 

Offline Kopsje

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abuqiya
Re: A way out (Kopsje and Tamora)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:05:35 AM »
Office International Affairs of Kopsje,
Chairman Ijuklo’s office, Dzunho First District

“Well what do you make of it?” The hoarse voice of Ijulklo marked one who had engaged in the leisurely smoking of tobacco. Indeed, his own office had subtly succumbed to the odor of the cigarettes almost as if the Chairman had marked this office as ‘his territory’. The smell had rushed over Eska upon his entrance to the office assaulting his nostrils even now as he sat in one of the lounge chairs.

“It is quite peculiar, no? Give up the Kangzi, warmup to the Slaver Empire thus keeping the Pharaoh in check but potentially aggravate the Azurwind.” As Eska spoke it was clear he was thinking about it more himself than to his colleague. Something Ijulklo was quick to pick up. These ‘personal assessments’ were something he had, begrudgingly, become familiar with. Especially with the escalation of this so called ‘crisis’. His own office being host to members of the various houses rather than foreign ambassadors or dignitaries, in recent months. Nonetheless he allowed the ‘Zaran’ to contemplate the message on his own, taking the liberty of lighting up a cigarette.

“Have you brought this to the parliament?” was all that was spoken by Eska  after a few moments pause. A question that caused Ijulklo to scoff, allowing a plume of smoke to escape his thick lips. He stared at his guest, taking another hit of his cigarette before answering.         

“Fuck the parliament! They’re as dysfunctional as ever, they’ll argue over this for a month, maybe two. B‘sides, word is House Illyano is trying to levy support against them. Create a Kopsje that ‘embraces the Kangzi world in the name of economic prosperity’. Bah!”

The tone in the Chairman’s voice made it clear he was speaking less as an agent of the Government and more as a disgruntled citizen. It was a response Eska  was expecting or at the very least something similar. After all Eska knew Ijulklo. He knew the man was a fond smoker, something that caused a great debate over whether he should even be awarded the position in the first place. He knew his favorite brand of poison happened to come from Quintelia which in of itself was peculiar. Most importantly Eska knew that the Foreign Minister had relations to the house of Amhjuq, a house which had earned the reputation of being quite ‘nationalist’, or as nationalist as a Kopsje could be; the word holding a skewed meaning in their language. It was this last bit of knowledge that was most vital.

“Yes, a Kopsje dominated by House Ilyano certainly is…distasteful. You didn’t answer my question though. Iljulklo.” Eska  replied in a calm and collected tone. It was a tone of distinctness, one that irked Iljulklo to no end, dancing the fine line between arrogance and disinterest. Clearing his throat in a subtle sign of irritation Iljulklo took another puff of his cigarette before answering. 

“No. I did not. Figured given House Mhuaq’s, interest, in the current situation…” As he said this the Chairman rolled his cigarette in his hands allowing his words to trail off as he did so. The two men silently acknowledged each other, a gesture that indicated the brewing of a machination. Such was the way of Kopsjense politics.

Honorable Head of Foreign Affairs,

Your message is well received, the situation unfolding is indeed an unfortunate one with various ramifications that our countrymen did not foresee being of great interest beyond our borders. Know that all individuals within Kopsje are afforded the same rights and liberties as citizens of Kopsje and equally are expected to observe the same laws and regulations emplaced by our governing body. In this regard Ms. Hafsah is being held in accordance with the law of Kopsje. However, your interest in the situation is noted, as is the objection by the Clysperi State. I hope you can understand, as a stateswoman and member of your country’s government, that the military actions taken by the Clysperi Airforce of a blatant provocative manner and as such Kopsje must respond in kind for the defense of our own people and assests.

It is good to know the Empire of Tamora seeks de-escalation, as Kopsje is in a similar mindset. However your request for the release of Ms. Hafsah, as well as the preferential treatment for individuals of particular religious backgrounds must currently be denied.  I understand our respective systems of governance are different, however as this is the case I cannot make any sort of agreement on this particular request without the specific authority of the Parliament. You have cited the actions taken by Achkaerin to which Kopsje has noted and responded in kind given the current circumstances, however with the authority of the Parliament.

Your request for an avenue of communication is accepted and reciprocated. With this I should formally like to invite either yourself or a representative of your government to Kopsje, or alternatively request approval for a diplomatic to your great country, to continue talks and potential negotiations to achieve continued de-escalation which may entail revisiting your request.

Respectfully yours,
Ijuklo xelaju Amhjuq
(Ijuklo, kinsmen of house, Amhjuq)
Chairman, Office of International Affairs   

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
OOC: I hope you don’t mind but I skipped the greetings part and moved to the point so as to save time.

Alya Safavid and a small staff flew to Dzunho as soon as arrangements with the hosts could be done. The situation in Kopsje seemed to escalate quickly so time was of the essence. Alya was aware that dealing with the government of Kopsje was not going to be easy since Kopsje was a nation of less than 20 mill people she expected their government to be overly defensive especially when dealing with much larger nations. It also didn’t help that Kopsje had a parliament so Alya expected that to be used as an excuse for what the government of Kopsje could and couldn’t do. Why so many nations outside of MidAranye relied on such collective bodies for decisions always puzzled Alya but she knew that there was nothing to do to change that. Her mandate for the meeting was simple, she was looking to get some sort of agreement with the government of Kopsje that would allow the two countries to save face before their peoples and allow the two governments to cooperate going forward. Alya was aware that it was no easy task especially since relations were tensed but she had to try her best otherwise there was a serious risk that the internationalist powers like Rokkenjima, Tytor and CNN could use the incidents in Kopsje as an excuse to organize a military buildup near Kopsje and the last thing Tamora wanted was to have more of their military assets so close to MidAranye. It is for this reasons that Alya dismissed all proposals made by members of the Foreign Office to show support for the Ikuiat region of Kopsje which seem to break the lines on the issue and even threaten with secession.

The Tamoran Foreign Office coordinated with their counterparts in Kopsje to have the visit as discrete as possible. Should it be a success then a press conference would be held announcing the breakthrough but otherwise the Tamoran side wanted to keep the visit as low profile as possible. 

The small Tamoran delegation headed by Alya Safavid was seated in in the meeting room with the hosts seating on the other side of the table. As soon as the greetings and presentations were done, Alya decided to approach the subject head on:

“I would like to begin by thanking you for the chance to meet and allowing us to attempt to resolve the current impasse diplomatically. Allow me to make the first step by issuing an apology in the name of the Tamoran Empire for the military exercises which we conducted alongside our allies and friends in the kingdom of Clysperis. In hindsight we should have first attempted resolve the matter diplomatically and we regret that our exercise emboldened nations like Achkaerin to interfere in your internal affairs. We would like to assure that the Tamoran Empire did not conspire with Achkaerin on the matter and was not aware of their act. Furthermore, we strongly condemn their actions.

I would also like to add that the Tamoran Empire has a strong record of protecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of nations across Mundus from both domestic and external threats as can be seen by our actions in Zimalia, Clysperis and Merina. It is for this reason that I believe that Tamora can a valuable friend and ally of Kopsje provided we can sort our differences. I believe where there is a will God and His Prophet will find a way just as He did when it came to the differences between Tamora and Lakhzovia. “

Offline Kopsje

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abuqiya
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 01:42:38 AM »
Undisclosed Location
South of Dzunho

The Tamorans desired a private venue. It was something Ijuklo found curious but not blind to the wisdom behind. Such concepts were after all bountiful among the Houses and their dealing with each other. Every open agreement announced by one house or another, or even among political candidates and their opposition was done so in the foreground of various secret meetings the knowledge of their existence known only to its participants. In a way the Chairman was relived the Tamoran Minister had the foresight to request such an arrangement and was all to pleased to provide. It was for this reason that he himself would not attend the meeting in person instead he had chosen someone to represent him in his place.  The only problem was that there were to man to many prying eyes, to many individuals he dared not trust with this pivotal task. For every individual employed at the International affairs Commission half of them were agents for other houses or politicians their positions secured only through background agreements, and mutual understandings. Such was the way of Kopsje.  It was this reason that Piak xelaju Uyara was now seated before the Imperial delegation, one of the few individuals trusted by the Chairmen to, more or less not muck things up, and more importantly keep the discretion should things not turn not as expected;

“The pleasure is all ours I assure you…your Majesty? Forgive me, but I must admit I am not used to addressing individuals of such high esteem as yourself Zara, Safavid.” Paik spoke in a tone she hoped was cordial enough to express her apologies but also one that did not seek to presume. The Tamorans, be they as close as they were, geographically, were in all essence an entirely Foreign World. Yet from what Paik understood her guests and their homeland put particular importance on formalities and titles a concept not exactly lost to Kopsje but certainly not as common and vital as the Kangzi world perhaps. She hoped she had not offended their visitors already, but non the less allowed Alya to correct her before continuing. 

“It is good of your people to understand the situation in the Gulf was not one Kopsje could take lightly. Granted, know that the reasoning is not lost to us. We understand your son, His Royal Highnesss, is to be wed to the Pharaoh and so that does put Tamora in a rather peculiar situation. That being said, I am glad to see Tamora is reasonable, and not blindly following the Pharaoh’s rhetoric and the young rulers… emotions shall we say. Should you be able to convince your military leaders and, perhaps through the Empire’s influence, the Pharaoh to back down, the International Commission will be able to influence the parliament to reciprocate the action.  It’s quite clear neither of our countries desire an armed conflict and with the situation in the norther ocean becoming more involved with foreign powers, it is perhaps in both our interests to be vigilante should they look to our own shores.” 

Piak paused for a moment allowing the Tamoran delegation to deliberate among themselves should they feel the need to. As she did so Piak studied her counterpart discreetly. Everything about the Tamoran was exotic and new to her, from the way the Empress dressed to the mannerisms the members of their delegation exchanged. Piak had read about the region the Midarayane, as it was called, during the craze of the Mundus Games and all the drama associated with it. It was these thoughts that caused Piak to dwell on the Tamoran’s second proposal. Certainly, a country as large and wealthy as Tomora was not an easy option to pass up when it came to allies or at the very least mutual trading partners.

“I must admit the prospect of our countries working together is not one I can take lightly. While it is true Tamora has proven itself to be a relatively stable and strong partner for those close to your Empire, I hope you can understand why Kopsje would be cautious with such a proposal. While I do not suggest to question the validity of Tamora’s good intentions in Zimialia, I hope you cand understand why Tamora’s influence in that particular country is one that is met with alarm across Mundus. Many might suggest Tamora is effectively undermining Elwes’ government. These views are shared among certain individuals in our political circles. It is one thing to promote development, another to subtly take over a country with said influence, and a country as small yet divided as Kopsje….” Piak allowed her words to trail off, hoping her counterpart understood the concern she was making.

“Then there are other factors we must consider. Your countrymen practice an institutional system many in the Mundus view as, outdated. The general view in the Parliament is that it is of no concern to Kopsje what a country does domestically regardless of how… improper others may paint it. However, there is no denying a partnership between Kopsje and Tamora carries with it the possibility of our own country being one prone to sanctions and the ire of the International world. Should you be able to provide a way so as this risk is not an issue then many in the parliament would be more than willing to consider a partnership.”       

With her piece said and done Piak sat back and allowed the Tamorans their turn, ready to discuss whatever proposals they may provide. 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:10 AM »
Alya appreciated the hosts had shown politeness when dealing with her and her delegation. Alya travelled in quite a few countries and she never knew what to expect. She still remembered the very cold reception and treatment she got in Centralia but in Kopsje that did not seem to be the case.

“You flatter me but Lady Safavid is fine” she said since under Tamoran laws wives of emperors (or nobles in general) did not carry the title of their husbands. One of the perks of being the head of Tamoran Foreign was that she was often seen as Empress and that was something she enjoyed.

“The kingdom of Clysperis and the Tamoran Empire share a friendship that goes back decades, there is a trust between us that goes beyond just the engagement between our two families. I will see to it that we the Tamoran military will back down and we will ask the Pharaoh to do the same. We all seek peace and I agree the current standoff only creates opportunities for certain foreign powers to meddle in the Northern Ocean. However, there is still the issue of the Clysperi national that is currently detained in Kopsje. It is a matter that has made headlines everywhere in Clysperis and Tamora and I dare say all of MidAranye. I believe your government is aware of the importance religion plays in our society, culture and way of life so I think you will understand why for any de-escalation to occur the Clysperi national needs to be released unharmed”. She emphasized the unharmed and paused before continuing. “The Tamoran Empire is willing to deescalate first and I believe we can convince our Clysperi friends to do the same but that needs to be followed by her release. “

“I am extremely surprised to hear that Tamoran development in Zimalia is seen by some as “taking over a country with said influence”. The surprise is even greater since I have not heard of such concerns raised by Zimalia’s President Binyamin Lewes. None of the projects and businesses done in Zimalia have raised any protests from Zimalian authorities so I believe the concerns raised while showing a great love for the sovereignty and independence of Kopsje are unfounded. I also add that everything is at it seems without the full details. So for example should the Commonwealth ever decide it wants to peacefully include other neighboring parts of the former Rus Empire within its federation in order to grow and thus increase its national security and would seek Tamoran help then perhaps our actions in those former parts of the Rus empire could be interpreted by some observers as “taking over with influence” when in reality we would be serving Kopsje’s interests. “

Alya made the comment about the Commonwealth peacefully incorporating other parts of the former Rus Empire to see if that raises any interest. The Commonwealth, being a rather loose federation, was suitable for adding other regions within its federation and thus changing the balance of power between the Integrationist and the Regionalist factions of the Commonwealth. It would also, Alya hoped, shift the attention of the federal government of the Commonwealth from anti religion laws to expansion by incorporation of other federal subjects and for that, the Tamorans speculated, would mean Kopsje would have to be stable and more tolerant on religious issues. It is for this reason that Alya waited to see if the hosts seeked to comment more on the issue before she moved on the next concerns raised.

“On the issue of potential sanctions, I agree that unfortunately some nations seek to bully others though the use of sanctions. So I propose we approach the matter in two ways. First, our two governments remain discrete on the manner of our agreement and second, when it comes to economic matters, we use an intermediary for things such as trade and investments. For example, for any goods traded and investments done in Kopsje we will see that they are done through subsidiaries registered in Lakhzovia*, a nation that is a strong ally of Rokkenjima and should not raise any concerns. We have a continual and growing partnership with them Lakhzovia and I believe they would accept to be a middleman in this. In fact I would go as far as to say the way we cooperate with Lakhzovia can be a model for future Kopsje-Tamoran relations. Should however Lakhzovia not agree to our proposal we can use another middleman like Heyra and Zimalia. Tamora is not a nation that is opulent like the nations of Rokkenjima, East Moreland and others but we are a large nation in terms of population and God and His prophet have blessed us with many natural resources so Tamoran investments in Kopsje economy could have a significant impact. Do you believe such an arrangement would be accepted by your parliament?“ 

*OOC: Rix has not responded to my proposal yet but I believe based on previous RPs between Tamora and Lakhzovia that he would agree.