Author Topic: Sing For Absolution  (Read 9429 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Sing For Absolution
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »

Lelouch Lamperouge, High Commander, Anauša

"You certainly thought you were clever, didn't you?" Lelouch said as he eyed the screens within Citadel Alpha, "covering your tracks, diverting funds and resources through discretionary budget accounts, but you couldn't wholly erase the trail. Especially when you involved the traitor. Why you did it, I can suspect, though we'll have plenty of time to discuss that upon your return. One way or another, this mess you've created will be cleaned, though I can only hope for a sympathetic ear; whether your actions have poisoned it too greatly are about to be seen."

Following the push of a button he welcomed the rest of Unit Seven into the room, "We proceed under the assumption that Ms. Hadley will be, shall we say, less than cooperative. However she became misguided, whatever drew her to this path, I wish to be uncovered. Ultimately I suspect her loyalties to the Empress Emerita remain, too strong perhaps for her to even see how her actions have been so utterly wrong. How she can even show her face to her, and how the Dartfordians allow her to remain with the children...." he continued, trailing off into thought.

"You all know your orders, I wish to see Ms. Hadley returned to Rokkenjiman soil in no less than forty-eight hours. Dismissed."

To His Royal Majesty King David III
This message meets the highest of encryption standards and is intended for your eyes only.

Your Majesty,

Please forgive me for contacting you in such a direct manner, however, the matter which I write you is one which I felt was one which demanded such a message.

Following my assumption of duties as Anauša High Commander I ordered a top-down review of the agency to further its efficiency, capabilities, and address any shortcomings which may exist. What I did not expect to find, however, is a trail of inconsistencies in the files and paperwork of outgoing High Commander, Lucinda Hadley, especially in the later days of her tenure. Furthermore, a diversion of resources and personnel to operations which do not reflect the core mission of Anauša have been uncovered, and the trail which these leave lead to some concerning coordination and cooperation between Ms. Hadley and one Charles Foster Ofdensen.

Records uncovered during this review indicate that the High Commander traveled to the "Principality of Borland" during which she conducted operations of her own volition. The details of her mission profile called for an intelligence gathering operation to ascertain conditions on the ground, secure information as to the (then) present capabilities of Borlander forces in Zimalia, and explore any leads in regards to King's Blood which may have been of use to forces securing her release. Upon her return she was to have compiled a dossier for release to Rokkenjiman and Morelander intelligence, however, this dossier was never disseminated within Rokkenjiman intelligence, nor was it shared with Morelander intelligence. Instead, it seems to have been intercepted by Mr. Ofdensen, where it was then re-purposed.

Once returning it seems that Ms. Hadley held a meeting with Mr. Ofdensen where details regarding her mission were shared, along with the dossier, disappearing until their later release by Mr. Ofdensen in the lead-up to revelations regarding the Crown Princess and her rescue by the Borlanders. Following my initial assessment of the information, it appears that Ms. Hadley dealt with Kyle Barren using the guise of her operation to secure his assistance in the rescue of the Crown Princess. This information was buried and withheld from official accounts of the mission she undertook. It is believed at this time that the information presented to Mr. Ofdensen was then incorporated into his designs for the Mentorship, being held as a 'card' to be used against the Empress who, to our present understanding, had no knowledge of the activities being undertaken by Ms. Hadley.

We are still investigating why the Empress Emerita has, thus far, remained silent on this matter. If it would please Your Majesty I would wish to meet face-to-face with you and your intelligence services so we may address these concerns. I do not feel I have any other recourse as the implications these developments potentially hold for the safety and security of the Throne are of much concern to me. Furthermore, our findings have cast doubt on the implications of the Empress Emerita in regards to Borland. I will be reaching out to Dartfordian authorities to secure the extradition of Ms. Hadley to Rokkenjiman soil, as I do not believe she will return willingly.

I look forward to your reply.

Lelouch Lamperouge
High Commander
Anauša

A Message To White Widow
This message meets the highest of encryption standards and is intended for your eyes only.

To whom it may concern;

Anauša formally advises that it seeks the return of Ms. Lucinda Hadley, former High Commander of Anauša, to the First Empire of Rokkenjima. While I understand such a request may come as a surprise I have reason to believe that Ms. Hadley has been involved in activities which bring the safety and security of the Imperial and Royal Family into risk. The details surrounding this situation will be made available to you as our investigation continues.

I have forwarded this request to you as I understand Ms. Hadley has insisted on continuing her duties to the Empress Emerita and Princess of Littlebrook and her family, if in an unofficial capacity. Your assistance and cooperation in securing Ms. Hadley, as well as providing for her swift extradition to Anauša custody, will be greatly appreciated.

Lelouch Lamperouge
High Commander
Anauša

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Sing For Absolution
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »

EMIS
EAST MORELAND INTELLIGENCE SERVICE

On behalf of His Majesty the King we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

The King has asked myself and Mr.Alex Redfern to represent him in this manner as he wishes no involvement in any matters relating to Beatrice Lackblade. We are more than willing to meet to discuss the matters you have brought to our attention and would suggest that you arrive at the Aldfield Inn which is located in Aldfield. Once checked in we will contact you to arrange a face to face meeting and discuss this matters in a manner that will hopefully begin steps of repairing relations between our nations.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

Grace Yacobs
EMIS Advisor to King David

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

In Reply To EMIS

It will be my pleasure to meet with Mr. Redfern and yourself and have made the appropriate arrangements for transportation to Aldfield. Joining me will be Lieutenant Commander Hanako who has worked with me on several aspects of our recent investigations.

I look forward to our meeting.

Lelouch Lamperouge
High Commander
Anauša

With the Empress occupied with several matters of business borrowing the Imperial Concorde for a flight to East Moreland was a trivial affair for Lelouch. The information which Hanako carried with her had been looked over countless times, people of interest spoken to, while an agency-wide hunt had been underway for those with ties to Ofdensen or loyalties to Lucinda which proved greater than loyalty to the Crown. While nothing had been received from White Widow Lelouch was confident in their cooperation when the time came for them to act, however, he'd rather not wait to have Lucinda in his custody.

Checking into the Inn was a swift enough affair for Lelouch and Hanako, now the only thing they awaited was their contact from EMIS.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
The Inn wasn't exactly luxurious and Aldfield nothing more than a small town of less than 5,000 people, the narrow fronted but tall buildings betraying its former existence as a wool producing area. The village today was largely a mixture of rugged farmers and Red Legionnaires both old and serving. The village had been home to the unit since the 1920's and had taken the unit into its heart, even so much that the locals never gave strangers directions to the famous barracks which sat in a old Cult of Helus temple complex on the west side of town. Its low walls providing security for the quad that dominated the life of the elite unit. The Inn was even part of the Legions systems of communications and the landlord, former Red Legion Sergeant Carl Brockley phoned the base as soon as the Rokkenjimans had checked in. "Cheers Carl" Alex replied over the line before hanging up. He picked his jacket up from the back of his office door and strolled down the corridors of the block that sat on the eastern side of the quad. He wrapped gently on the door of the room Grace was using and waited patiently.

The door opened and Grace suspected what was happening, "They here?" she asked to which Alex nodded, she disappeared back into her room and came back with her own jacket and placed her standard issue pistol into her jacket's under arm holster. "Lets go have a pint" she smiled cheerily as the two retraced their steps back across the quad. Alex instinctively did an eyes left as they passed the white stone clock tower that sat by the bases main gate, its walls inscribed with the names of every Legionnaire who had died since the base move. He recognised a good few of the names as he passed.

The pair made their way to the pub and walked in, Carl giving them a knowing glance, "Four IPA's and four hot pots" Alex ordered as he passed putting his coat over a chair near the fireplace and taking a seat. "Carl can you tell your guests we're here." he added.

When the two Rokkenjimas arrived the beers had already arrived, "I took the liberty of ordering, the food here is pretty good." he said proudly as he shook their hands, "This is Grace, she'll be able to give a more up to date picture of things should we need it. I thought it would be good to get some basics in place before meeting tomorrow at the barracks."

"So what exactly do we need to get sorted?" Grace asked keen to get the guests version of events to come.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Lelouch nodded approvingly as he approached with Hanako, "I trust that it is, thank you," he continued with a bow before sitting. "Now then, the matters Hanako and I are here to discuss involve the Empress Emerita and the former High Commander, Ms. Hadley. Various discrepancies in the paperwork of Ms. Hadley led me to initiate an agency-wide review and investigation of the Anauša, and those issues which were uncovered were shocking to say the least. As we speak Anauša is in contact with White Widow to secure her return to Rokkenjima for formal questioning and quite possible charges."

"It is our belief," Hanako interrupted, "that the Empress Emerita was not aware of the actions of the former High Commander and was coerced into silence when the information regarding her time in Borland, and the true nature of the activities of Ms. Hadley, were handed over to Mr. Ofdensen. I have spent countless days looking over every aspect of the body of information, from files generated by Ms. Hadley to the paper trail she left, to the involvement of Mr. Ofdensen in the affair. This information, including all documents and access to the emails of Ms. Hadley and Mr. Ofdensen, will be fully provided to East Moreland for your own independent verification."

"In short, we have a situation where the former High Commander and Lord High Steward worked through their own alternative chains of command; in one case a friend of the Empress Emerita believing she was upholding her duty and the other a weasel utilizing any tool possible to delay his inevitable downfall, including schemes against members of the Anselmo family to ensure silence was upheld," Lelouch added. "If there are any questions you may have at this early juncture we may go over them, however, reviewing the full body of information tomorrow will bring it all together I feel."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Alex knew a lot about alternative chains of command, he had a few of his own, however none of his had ever gone rouge. The situation was one that the Morelanders were not just a little out of joint about but there was genuine anger. They had got closer to defeating the Borlander threat that afternoon than they had in a long time, a severe blow could have been struck but instead the Red's had been sworn to not harm Adrianna and that meant Barren went free.

Grace listened to the complex shenanigans but knew it wouldn't change a great deal. " No offence but from a Morelander point of view Beatrice should have alerted us long before the photograph situation, she had enough channels, enough connections to utilise and if she was being intimidated or blackmailed then she had a duty to her friends here to do something." the Intelligence Officer was rather annoyed by the whole thing, she was a firm believer in the Code of Canley and believed that meant the Rokkenjimans had betrayed their friends in the most crucial of ways.

Alex stepped in, he knew Grace well and knew she could have quiet a mean tongue. "Now, now" Alex smiled, "The idea is to try and sort this out, but I think you need to be aware of one thing." he the lid of his hot pot off and took a swig of the IPA. "Don't eat it yet.....it's like lava" Alex watched the raising steam before continuing, "There is no quick fix here. Lets imagine for a moment that all this paperwork or whatever proves what you say without any doubts, there still remains the issue that rather than support a man whose parents have been murdered by Borlanders, whose sister was assassinated by them and whose daughter has been targeted by them Beatrice sat on this knowledge you're telling us. David considered her part of the family, hence why he had her and Alex as part of his children's life, Morelanders will not be willing to forgive anytime soon." He began eating his meal.

"Aye up Al" a voice called from near the bar, "Freya know you're out on a date" it teased him before picking up a pint and walking over.

"Hi Olly" Alex said recognising Sgt.Olly Thomas of Red Legion, "Can't really chat, friends from out of town" Alex pointed at the two with his fork and Olly got the message and nodded. To many a pub may be the odd choice for such a meeting but with a pub full of Red Legionnaires it was probably one of the most intelligence sensitive places you could find. The Red Sergeant headed back to the bar and stood enjoying a beer with his comrades. "Now what I suggest we do is eat, maybe have a beer or two and tomorrow you head over to the Barracks."

After eating the meal Alex and Grace had made their way back to Barracks, as they reached the gate they did so at roughly the same time as Olly Thomas, "Yo Al" he jogged to catch up, "Everything good?" he asked wondering if the meeting meant he should be getting the crew together.

"Yeah, no worries" Alex said as the three were buzzed in, "Although I'd like you to do me a favour." He explained to him what he wanted and the next morning everything was in place.

As the Rokkenjimans arrived at the Barracks they were subjected to a thorough search, as was anyone not in the Legion who managed to gain entry to the barracks, even Freya when she entered for selection had all her gear searched. They were then frog marched through a maze of corridors, designed to disorientate and confuse those coming on selection. As they walked into the centre of the quad a yell could be heard. "PARADE ATTEN.....SHUN" and with a crisp single bang, 200 feet hammered into the ground, their red uniform and silver helmets making a feint jingle. In the centre stood Brigadier Kelly he acted as though the guests weren't even there.

"Parade" he spoke loudly "We stand here in the parade square in front of our clock tower, the clock tower full of names of those who failed to beat the clock. The names of those who have given their lives in pursuit of freedom, justice, security and protecting family" a sideways glance at the Rokkenjimans was permitted. "Some of them have died bravely defending their comrades, some undertaking almost superhuman acts of military prowess, others betrayed" another sideways glance. "Many killed by the Borlander threat that one day we will dismantle, regardless of the barriers put in place" the men tapped their swords gently against the metal helmets. While Kelly continued his little speech a very casually dressed Alex arrived.

"Morning, welcome to Aldfield Barracks" he shook each of their hands, "You're the first foreigners to enter here in....well maybe ever" he chuckled and lead them across the parade square, the eyes of the Red's on parade following the group as they moved into the far side of the quad and into a lounge. Grace was already sat there a note book on the table and a briefcase open on the floor. "So today is the serious business, I think the starting point is you telling us what damage you've got to fix back home and then how that's going to effect us?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
"No offence taken," Lelouch said before Hanako could speak, "and while I agree that the Empress Emerita should have spoken long before the photograph situation I understand the situation she was in. Charles mused privately that the rift he would drive between Rokkenjima and East Moreland, even in the event of his failure, would be enough of an accomplishment to claim a victory even should his overreaching objectives fail. No," Lelouch paused before he continued, "she felt if she pushed forward that not only would the lives of her immediate family be put into harms way, but also those of those she had come to consider family from abroad. Considering the history of the Anselmo Family, I think she was doing the best she could to keep those she loved safe, even if you nor I agree with her approach."

"Beatrice is not the force she once was," Lelouch continued, shooting Hanako a stare which screamed shut up, "Prior to her arrest she paced the halls of Pyrena, asking the Imperial Guard questions on a nearly hourly basis as to the threats faced and their readiness. She pulled countless staff off of their usual detail just to surround the Castle, even when the distance between the Castle and the City was declared a secure zone. After losing her parents and siblings to the Federal Republic many of us wondered how long she would last beyond that, I mean we all lost to the Federal Republic but the Anselmo record is hard to beat. Forty seven people murdered, and not even all of them a direct link, then you have someone of Charles' caliber threatening family and loved ones, I can see where she drew the line and said "not one more life for my sake"," Lelouch sighed.

"She thought she was protecting them all," Hanako interjected, "she thought her silence was the key to everyone living. She saw her mother and father speak out and die, she saw Evanthe's parents join in the Pyrettania protests and die for their views. She thought if she was silent no one else had to die; really, it is sickening the lengths which Charles went to protect his pet projects. If I had it my way I'd have his head on a platter, only to be spille..." "Enough," Lelouch said before she could finish, "Enough."

OOC: Second part comes after sleep. :)

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
It had been a long, sometimes confusing road which they had followed and even to this day Lelouch found it hard to believe they had reached this point. Just a few short years ago it would have been unfathomable, even with the occasional flare-up in the Illumic, for there to be a wedge in between the First Empire and the Kingdom, but here they were. Equally unfathomable was a Rokkenjima without Beatrice Anselmo upon the Throne, however, with the web of events which had transpired this was very much the new reality. To say that he and Hanako felt a measure of scrutiny and attention would be an understatement, thus when the opportunity to speak directly came it was most relieving.

"Straight to business then," Lelouch said as he opened a notebook, flipping the pages before him. "During the lead-up to the Andean Genocide I served as Prefect of Domestic Intelligence within Anauša, leaving me in a position to notice a series of irregularities within Anauša itself. Diversions of funds, channels of communication separated from the chain of command, operations at home and afar centred around the High Commander. When I was appointed High Commander by the Empress I was charged with completing a full review of Anauša, during which I was able to form a more complete picture of the situation we were dealing with."

"Shutting down the alternative chain of command and cutting off their access to resources has placed many of them on the run, though the possibility remains some may have been embedded deeply so as to enable 'reprisals' in the situation Mr. Ofdensen's primary objectives failed," Lelouch continued. "If Mr. Ofdensen could not succeed in Toshindai then the weakening of Rokkenjima's diplomatic links, especially those held with East Moreland, was seen as a justified secondary objective, while having elements in place to strike at the Anselmo Family was intended as further insurance. With Mr. Ofdensen off the board there remains the chance these elements could act of their own volition. These concerns, coupled with the offers made by Ms. Hadley to Kyle Barren in regards to the Crown Princess, leave the possibility that threads connected to those operations she intended to conduct remain dormant. This is why securing her transport from Dartfordia to my custody in as silent a manner as possible are so crucially important to ensuring our mutual interests remain unharmed."

"The stumbling block as to rooting them out remains that they know who, and what, to look for; I have them on the run to a degree, but my resources are recognizable to them. While unorthodox, I need to hit these bastards with something they're not expecting if I wish to fully cleanse Anauša, something they wouldn't see coming. I would be open to any suggestions you may have in this regard," he said, after which nodding to Hanako.

"As for the Empress Emerita I expect neither a swift nor easy solution, though we are following up on leads as to certain actions the Empress Emerita took in the later days of her reign. This includes an ICON transmission to QAMB which included a string of code which was initially disregarded as some form of corruption, raising the potential that the Empress Emerita was exploring discreet measures to reach out which wouldn't have been picked up upon. It's nothing concrete at this point until we can decipher the code and the files to which it links, spread across four ICON clusters."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Alex looked at Grace before taking her silence as her approval to begin. " I've known the King some 17 years, since we were both 18 and were neighbours in our flat at University. Many believe that I know him better than anyone else, it's probably right. I owe him more than anyone can imagine, he saved my fathers life, gave me a oppurtunities far better than I could have ever imagined being the son of a coal miner, and allowed me to marry his sister. So I think I can read him pretty well. Beatrice Lackblade is none of his concern, as far as he is concerned she forms no connection to East Moreland. However I can also say the King is a firm believer in our Code of Canley and that says no one is doomed to a life of permanent dishonour, but frankly it'd take something pretty damn spectacular for her even to get back in his neutral books." Alex waited a second or two. "I'd prefer it if we kept her away from this situation and these talks, she's your problem."

Grace flipped open her notepad and looked over a few scribbles before adding her point of view. " Am I correct in thinking when you say you need to hit them, you want them having a face to face with Helus?" she asked, "Or you mean their still in your employ and they need to lose a job? I think we've all been in this business long enough to not need to take in metaphors, if your telling us that some of your Anauša are potentially connected to the Borlanders I dare bet if I walk back to the parade square and ask for a voulenteer to shot them in the face you'd have a line around the block. So lets be blunt we talking about a clean slate or we taking about rehabilitation?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:14:21 PM »
"Unfortunately separating the Empress Emerita from these talks leaves a large portion of the situation off the board, as she is very much central to it," Lelouch signed. "In many ways it is Charles interests in damaging relations and, at the time, keeping her "off the board" as he pursued his interests which have brought us to where we are today. Now while I haven't known the Empress Emerita for quite so long, I did have the opportunity to meet her some years ago. I had just began my career in Rokkenjiman intelligence, most of my time consumed with rooting out the remnants of the GRA that drove us into the Second Patriotic War. There's been mistakes that she has made, but a deficiency in honour and loyalty isn't one she's guilty of."

"As you can see here," Lelouch said as he threw a binder before him, "pages from the Empress' daily journal of confusion, growing concern and, eventually, a measure of despair towards the end as she realizes the full weight of the operation CFO was running. Naturally I wish she had done things differently, I wish she had realized that there were other avenues she could have pursued, but anxiety and fear are powerful tools and in this case they were more effective than an assassin's bullet in taking the Empress Emerita off the board."

Lelouch then read two passages at random.

"Today I realized there is nothing left for me to do, the battle is over; even Lucy has forsaken me. There was always the risk that my communications would never reach David but, in that risk, I have kept them safe from Charles' long arm. While Charles may see this as his victory I have one card left to play, and while it will destroy me it will save all that I care about. If I accept the blame and proclaim my guilt I will be the one hated and reviled and, while damaged, Rokkenjima's friendship with East Moreland can at least be preserved and repaired in the future."

"To create a future with the glimmer of hope I will destroy my own. Sure there is much I will miss, people I will only be able to look upon from afar, but at least they'll be alive, and I would rather them be alive to hate me than see a progression of funerals by Charles' hand. If only they knew I was truly a prisoner, kept here and restrained by my "greatest friend" at the behest of Charles' treason? It could have been different, but if it is the hand I am dealt I must play it to the best of my ability."

"There's more, but unless we're capable of discussing the full breadth of the situation we are left in a handicapped position. We've Anauša that remain loyal to Charles and the world he wanted to bring into fruition and, despite her intentions, Ms. Hadley assisted him as she pursued her distorted vision of duty. These people need to have a bullet well placed between their eyes, or whatever manner is seen fit. But it must be done discreetly until I am sure each and every last threat to the Crown, and our allies, are firmly uprooted from my agency."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
Alex picked up the binder and casually tossed it to the side of the table not even giving it a glance, he had little interest in what the former Empress had to write on any matter.  The rambling words of a woman he'd lost respect for could wait, if he even bothered reading them. It was only when Lelouch read the supposedly random passages he paid note, "It just so happens the two bits you read try and invoke us to look on her actions as being noble. Her actions cost this nation dearly, pretty words scribbled in a diary don't change that, and as for our people the jury is still out on the whole notion of friendship." He thought for a moment, "You ever wonder why when a Princess of East Moreland got married there was no direct invite for a Rokkenjiman?" He threw the question out there, "Or how out of the various nations we're buddies with Rokkenjima didn't get invited to the Ostlake games?" he didn't wait for a response, "because for David it would have been a right royal pain in the arse to pick up the shitty stick that is us having much officially to do with you. Now the fact I'm sat here offering to shoot some people who you want dead should indicate that view is perhaps not shared by all, but I'm going to be honest its a knife edge whether we do this at present."

Grace had remained quiet, and now she slid a piece of paper towards her Rokkenjiman counterparts, "Names, addresses, aliases, anything you think we need." she placed a pen on top of the paper. "For now this offer doesn't leave this room, I have a feeling a lot of Rokkenjiman targets are going to get hit by the Borlanders for your nations failure to carry through with your Empresses promises in return for not killing her daughter."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »
Lelouch handed over a folder with sixteen profiles, "Within that should be all the information you need. Anything more I trust you'll let me know."

"To be honest I didn't wonder about it, such affairs lay outside of my purview," Lelouch returned his attention to Alex. "What I know, from the information available to me, is that I have yet to find any link between the Empress Emerita and the Borlanders. Unfortunately I've yet to hear back from White Widow regarding our request that they detain and remit into our custody my predecessor. Should that situation continue it's not outside of my will to order an operation myself, though I understand at times things move more slowly across the Kyne. I, personally, fault the information from which the Empress Emerita conducted herself to be the fault; she should've known there are failsafes she could have relied upon, people she could reach out to, this is why protocols are drawn up after all."

"I do understand the anger, but all I can say is that the system that was built to support the Empress Emerita and ensure that the worst-case scenarios remain scenarios, failed. A handicapped Anauša failed to protect the Crown Princess, then failed to provide the Empress truthful information and avenues from which to act. Ms. Hadley failed her when she took matters into her own hands and then, instead of admitting her fault and atoning, pursued the path of deceit to use the situation to her advantage. Beatrice, as flawed and stubborn as she may be in some ways, would not abandon her dignity and loyalty. If you give the information I've shared with you an honest review, in addition to the documents which support the findings of my investigation, it may allow you a new view to the events which have transpired and set us upon this course."

He took a drink from his flask, a gin derived from honey, before continuing. "To be perfectly honest if I had any inclination that she were the least bit guilty I'd have her in a cell right now, because not only are such actions are beneath Chrysanthemum Throne and what it represents, they are against every belief and principle the Imperial Government proclaims to adhere to; none are above the law. Thus my pursuit of Ms. Hadley as, regardless of her intent, her actions were inexcusable by any standard. Then that she would lead Anauša to be complicit in any capacity in her plot....there is much Ms. Hadley has to answer for."

Lelouch then offered his flask to Alex, "Going back to my history with Beatrice I remember well the words she shared with me: "To serve is not a right, it is a privilege and an obligation of the highest order. Many will look to you to make the right decision despite the fact that not one among us is immune to fault. If I ever reach a point where my service ceases, a moment in which I become a detriment to those I care for, I trust you will make the just decision and see to it that I am properly disposed of."

"Needless to say none of this is what I expected when I accepted the appointment to lead Anauša, but I've a ship to right and an obligation to uphold. However, if I am at fault, if I have been deceived, I will be the one to see to it that Beatrice is disposed of as per the bound of my honour. After all that is one of the few things we have which must be held above, is it not? As we Rosari are taught one without honour is one without direction, cause or purpose; as breakable as the dead reed."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
Alex declined the drink, he potentially had a training run this afternoon and frankly he had no wish to share a drink with someone boasting the virtues of a woman he held responsible for denying them the chance to kill the Borlanders leader. Now one thing he did care about was the 16 rouge agents, the Morelanders had worked side by side with Rokkenjima on projects in the past and that meant they'd had access to Morelander data to help them with this plot that denied Alex the chance to kill Kyle Barren, that alone was all he needed to know. He placed the 16 folders in his briefcase. "We'll be in touch" he said as he stood and exited leaving Grace behind.

"We'll look at your folders, those we think are a threat we'll remove, at a time place and method of our choosing." She began packing her things up, "You want some advice" she said as she stood, "Take a careful look at our nation's motto. Your words of your former Empress are going to fall on deaf ears to Morelanders. You want traitors dead, fine" she shrugged, "They've helped Borlanders in a round about way so they get killed, this has nothing to do with her." She picked up her bags and headed for the door turning once more, "Brigadier Kelly will show you out" as she exited the room Red Legion's Commanding Officer was waiting and without a word began escorting them along corridors. He lead them into one of the AV rooms, a picture taken from Redfern's body cam showed a clear image of Kyle Barren boarding a helicopter with Adriana.

"The shot that never was" Kelly said, "Not a single Red would have missed that.....would have left a nice hole in your Princess though" he added. "By Our Deeds We are Known....not by words, not by silence. Redfern I am sure told you of our nation's views, could you bank on Red Legion making the same decision a second time?" With that he carried on his tour until they reached the guardhouse. "You're the first to visit the interior of Red Legion HQ from a foreign nation in a long time....I trust you'll manage to somehow forget you where ever here."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:37 AM »
Lelouch shrugged when Alex declined his offer, shrugging as he took another swig himself. He knew the woman who Beatrice Anselmo was, the woman who the information he presented portrayed, and he also knew if Alex truthfully looked at the scope of his investigation he would see that the anger directed in her direction was indeed misguided. It was a gamble on his part reaching out to the King directly, that gamble continued with Alex, but it was immaterial whether he believed him or not. If he were misguided in any way, his duty to remove Beatrice from the board remained, Morelander sensitivities were not a part of the equation in regards to the Empress Emerita.

Lelouch had taken the liberty of preparing a short flight to QAMB, where he and Hanako met up with the Austrana which carried the Empress Emerita, after which they would travel to Valtheim to discuss the situation at hand. Aboard the Imperial Yacht she was simply addressed as the Empress, the staff of the vessel knew no other master. Even Empress Evanthe respected this fact, never directing them otherwise. "Your Majesty," Lelouch bowed as he approached her again, even she knew not the depths of the knowledge he had garnered over the course of his investigation. "A visit to our friends in the North is required of us, may I direct the Captain to set our course?" he asked.

"Do make it so," she replied, a frown on her face. "The road is long, the stones jagged, but truth always completes her march victorious does she not?" Lelouch asked rhetorically. "In a few hours we will be within the waters of Achkaerin, and while trials may await truth and justice remain within your corner. Do not fret as the hours approach, for the hour is yours." Beatrice smiled and took a seat in one of the benches on deck of the Austrana, a maneuver which Lelouch followed .

"When we arrive assure that a helicopter is readied to transport us with haste and please," she said looking directly through his eyes, "You do not leave my side, no matter what they say. The last time one of you did, everything went wrong. Do not mistake my trust in you for a blind license to act; that is what Lucinda did, and it shall not happen again." Lelouch sighed, "I won't be far, do try to recognize what she has done does not taint us all."

"I shall," Beatrice said, "though it is not easy. None of this should have ever have happened."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:08:10 PM »

Austrana's arrival in Achkaerin was a sight which Beatrice welcomed. While the days ahead would undoubtedly be difficult one cannot weather a storm without first passing through it. "Knowing our friends in Valtheim I expect a welcoming party, in no way are you to intervene in those events which may transpire. The best way you may serve me is through your cooperation," Beatrice said as the Austrana completed its docking procedures. "Naturally I shall not protest the requests or orders of the Empress," Lelouch replied.

"What are our contingencies so far as Lucy is concerned?" she asked. "Well, as of this moment we're facing a court proceeding in Dartfordia. However, if I know Ms. Hadley, she won't run as a coward would for too long. She'll seek avenues to atone for actions which have harmed you, so it may simply be a game of waiting for her to make a move herself. Should this not happen, or should the court proceedings go awry, I need not remind you that Anauša are everywhere. If I desire her in our custody, I'll do what is necessary to see that happen."

"Very well, all present concerns are addressed as best we can hope for. In the mean time," she said as she finished her preparations for disembarking, "take care of my ship. We may be here for a while."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:27 AM »
Captain Phillip Ramsay stood on the bridge of his ship the INS Rasengan they'd been hanging around just outside Achkaerinese waters waiting for the Austrana, eventually the Rokkenjiman yacht came up on their scopes
"We have them sir." the radar officer reported
"Thank you Ensign." Phillip said he picked up the radio "Austrana this is the INS Rasengan you are to adjust heading to dock at Avalon we are to escort you in."
"They're complying." the Ensign said
"Good." Phillip said "Helm come about and follow them in." with an arrest warrant having been issued there was no way that any chances were being taken.

It was an hour later that the Rokkenjiman yacht pulled up to dock in Avalon, the pier it had been directed to, number six, had been cleared as had the access lanes to it. On the road at the gate four armoured cars waited, the pier itself was bristling with the expected military reception for such circumstances. Waiting at the foot of the gangplank was Serenity and Rion Ayanami

"What's your take on this?" Serenity asked
"Some of it I can buy some of it I can't." Rion said
"You got anything creative in mind?" Serenity asked
"Probably but depends on a couple of things." Rion said

They didn't have to wait long as the Rokkenjiman's came down the ramp. Serenity sighed a little with relief this had been far easier than had it could have been.
"Do your duty Rion." Serenity said as she stood opposite Beatrice
"Beatrice Anselmo." Rion said "You're under arrest this way please." she took Beatrice and led her towards one of the cars, Serenity waited a few moments before turning and following. It had been hard enough keeping her out of jail last time this time would be different, she'd called Beatrice foolish the last time around, she was more than that now that was for certain especially because it didn't have to be this way. Anyway the Avalon Estate awaited them it was time to settle this once and for all.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 03:01:31 AM »
"While I had hoped the next time we met would be under pleasant circumstances even now it is good to see you," came Beatrice's reply. "As I've made clear I am here of my own volition, my cooperation is yours fully." Turning to Lelouch Beatrice placed her hand on his shoulder, "Thank you for your full cooperation. Should there be anything requested of you I trust you to accommodate them fully."

"If I may make a request," Beatrice said as they approached the awaiting vehicles, "Adriana had her heart set upon spending some time with me this coming weekend. We've had so little time together as of late, with her schooling and my work, and she made it a point to ask to see her fellow Crown Princess. I understand if it is not possible, however, I do think she would benefit speaking with the Crown Princess. Please give it some thought on the ride."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:06 AM »

The Avalon Estate was one of the smaller Royal Residence's in Achkaerin and while she was serving at JAG it was Serenity's home. The strong security presence at the port wasn't reflected here for one very important reason, that had been necessitated by what had come out of Rokkenjima it had set into motion a chain of events that had seen an arrest warrant issued and brought them to this point. They went inside Serenity closed the door behind them.

"We'll deal with this in the lounge." Serenity said, she turned and was immediately ambushed by her two daughters first was Astrid, the three year old girl ran up to her mother, Serenity scooped her up and hugged her
"Mummy." Astrid said
"How was your day Astrid?" Serenity asked, she heard her daughter wince, Serenity's eyes honed in on developing bruises on Astrid's arms and legs and what looked like a nasty scrape on her left elbow "What happened to you?"
"Some of the kids at her nursery were picking on her at the end of the day." Charlene Brightwall, Serenity's work partner and lodger said "Hair pulling, knocking her over, tripping her up...they didn't reckon with her sister though." Serenity raised an eyebrow, she glanced past Charlene to where the slightest trace of blonde hair could be seen.
"Lisa." Serenity said, her older not to mention long lost daughter Lisa stepped relunctantly out from where she'd been hiding, the six year old looking down at the floor "What did you do?"
"Told them to stop picking on Asrid and when they didn't... knocked them over." Lisa said
"Come here." Serenity said, Lisa walked over and Serenity ruffled her hair a little before hugging Lisa with her free hand "It's good you want to protect Astrid but you know you can't go round using violence like that."
"Sorry." Lisa said
"Do you have any homework?" Serenity asked
"Yes." Lisa said
"Go get it and ask Charlene to help you get me the first aid kit." Serenity said

As Lisa, now relieved to not be in any trouble ran off with Charlene, Serenity half smiled
"Well there's no doubt she's your daughter." Rion said
"Heaven's help us if Lisa meets Rhiannon." Serenity said "Where were we?"
"The lounge." Rion said
"Let's go." Serenity said

Serenity, still carrying Astrid, led Rion, Lelouch and Beatrice into the lounge where one more person was waiting for them Nettie Taylor, her presence probably no surprise to either of the Rokkenjiman's stood waiting.
"Have a seat." Serenity said, Beatrice and Lelouch sat on one sofa while on the other side of the coffee table Serenity sat with Astrid on her knee flanked by Rion and Nettie, it didn't take long before Charlene and Lisa were back, Charlene handed Serenity the first aid kit.
"I'll go and see if they've come up with something in the study shall I?" Charlene asked
"That would help thanks." Serenity said, Charlene nodded and left while Lisa lied on her front on the floor her maths book open in front of her as she started to do her homework, Serenity opened the first aid kit and started to deal with the scrape on Astrid's elbow now she addressed their guests

"How many times have we sat at the same table?" Serenity asked "There's always been trust, I've always been honest with you and I had thought you'd always been honest with me. But you lied to me that night and that hurts, worse as a result of that lie you committed a criminal offence and then even worse than that the case in which you lied was the Andean Genocide case. I could tell you what is going on at my place of work right now but I won't because you can already imagine it. So now you tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, you will tell me why you lied to me, you will tell us about this new evidence that we've been hearing about and you will leave nothing out, if you lie to me now then I can't help you, tell me the truth and we may yet be able to stop a train before it leaves the station. This is your last chance and you know better than to screw this up."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 02:28:29 AM »
"The answer is quite simple," Beatrice sighed, "I had no other choice. At that time I was dealing with a government which had for all intents and purposes been hijacked, my best friend of all people threw everything she knew I expected of her out the window and acted on her own, I couldn't even trust that my communications were secure which was why I tried to reach out, utilizing little known protocols and backchannels throughout ICON in the hopes that I could reach someone who could then reach out to Northfort, Valtheim, hell I would have taken Stalin's assistance at the time had he been alive, just anyone who would have the power to act where I couldn't. While I give credit to Lelouch for eventually stumbling on the trail I left, by then, it was too late and I felt isolated, alone, resigned to what fate had thrown into my path."

"When it came down to it, what was more important to me? The lives of those I care about, the lives of my People, or my personal interests? It would have been selfish to pursue self-preservation, and while it placed me in a position where I had to choose hurting those I care very deeply for at least at the end of the day I knew it was for a greater force of good. I could sleep at night, and while my bridges were burned I took the malice Charles directed into the world and focused it on myself; not a perfect plan by any means but at the time it was the only thing I had."

"Lelouch has brought with him all files necessary for you to fully review the situation, electronic logs, government files, the paper trails, it's all there. Even trying to console myself with the fact that Lucy was trying to save Adriana brings me no joy, it was a betrayal of myself and my friends and denied a rare opportunity to kill that bastard Barren. She was dispatched for surveillance, not to speak on my behalf or make a deal with Fealhir himself. So much was put at risk for the wrong reasons, I maintained my faith in East Moreland only for her to put Adriana at an even greater risk. Charles' actions were unacceptable, hers I cannot see forgiving."

"I will always be sorry for the hurt I've caused, especially to you, but it was my only recourse: saying the wrong things could have set off a chain of events and we've both seen far too many people die because, whether it be the Republican cause, Charles' cause, Kadassa's cause; I had the ability to ensure one cause was denied its sacrifice of blood and while I considered that one day I would face repercussions I accepted that risk, because it was the right thing to do. Lives aren't replaceable: nothing of mine, no pursuit of mine nor my fate before a court is worth more than just one person still breathing today. Those are the thoughts upon which I took the actions I did, and while it may have been wrong sometimes you're forced into a place where you have to pick one wrong option or the other."

Beatrice looked to Lelouch, "Lelouch is under direct orders to provide you with anything you need, whether or not he's brought it with him today, though he also knows that I expect complete and thorough work of those in my employ. I want to make things right, why, all the milestones we've missed, all the memories, some because of my stubbornness but others robbed from us. I did none of this for myself, my heart free of malice, if it were not so Lelouch would not be so hard at work on my behalf." Nodding, Lelouch picked up where she had left off.

"When I took over the duties of Ms. Hadley I ordered a full review of the Rokkenjiman intelligence community, however, what should have been a routine occurrence in such a transition alerted me to the scenario which Beatrice has spoken with you about today. With the implications of these events I've briefed the Morelanders; I present to you the same body of information I brought before them including additional information as to the legal depth of the situation as well as the situation which faced the Empress personally. Do forgive the amount of paper involved, though I must say, Charles' penchant for paper records, having a physical object in his hands to pour over, has proven to be a blessing in some regards."

"In addition to that the electronic records, and those files pertaining to my investigation, have been transferred to the computers of the Austrana. It seems we will be putting somewhat of a test upon the ICON-SCION graft[1] today."
General Resource Allocation for Files Transmission?

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 11:33:50 PM »
"Problem is you had the chance." Serenity said "The night before you were acquitted, you and I as well as the senior attorney's for the prosecution and defence sat in a room and you told us what you claimed was the truth, you told us about the leverage Charles had over you by threatening Evanthe and Euphemia. I believed you and acted to neutralize the threat."
"Which my people did." Rion said, she handed Lelouch a piece of paper with two names on it "Two former Anausa now neutralized, you probably know they're dead but these were two of Charles's people, we traced them through financial records that were made available at the time due to the various investigations."
"The issue." Serenity said slowly "Is that you didn't tell us anything about this business with Lucinda, had you done so you wouldn't be in the position you're in now because had you told us, it would have gone straight to East Moreland without anyone in Rokkenjima knowing about it. We explain this because it somewhat limits our options but that's tomorrow's battle."

It was at this point that Astrid's stomach rumbled, which made Serenity giggle.
"And that would be the signal of tonight's battle." Serenity said "Lisa would you and Astrid like to show our guests to the kitchen?"
"What is for tea?" Lisa asked as she got up off the floor
"I'm doing my homemade pizza." Serenity said, she looked at Beatrice and Lelouch "My girls will show you to the kitchen, Charlene will be there. I'll catch up in a few minutes I just need to have a quick word with Rion and Nettie."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »
"I had my reasons for acting in the manner I did, I couldn't put anything to risk," Beatrice said, almost as if it were a line she had repeated a thousand times to reassure herself. "I didn't see Charles coming, perhaps I should have looking back, however, you know what they say about hindsight. Lucinda is an entirely different manner," she paused, "with the things she knows and the position she held, it meant an entirely different level of crisis was possible. The thought that she could even break bread with Barren when she had a job to do. I mean, if she intended to stray from the profile of the mission she could've done us all a favour, but I digress."

"To be certain I could have remained home, but the fact that I have come here speaks to the respect I still indeed hold for you," she continued. "While I have not shown that very well in the past, we both know I have things to make up for and that is one of them. I do not run nor hide, and to live the life of a coward behind the walls of Pyrena would not be possible; I have had moments of weakness and doubt, but not of my underlying integrity." Lelouch remained silent as Beatrice spoke, at this time his voice wasn't needed and he recognized that.

Beatrice nodded as she and Lelouch were directed to the kitchen by Serenity, following the lead of Lisa and Astrid.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
Once the door to the lounge was closed Serenity stood, slapping the sofa with the palms of her hands as she propelled herself up from a sitting position, Rion was slower to rise but she stood with her hands on her hips, Nettie stayed sat down but threw her head back relaxing it against the head rest of the sofa so she could look up at the ceiling. Serenity was pacing around like a caged animal, visibly irritated.

"I knew she was stubborn but she's stubborn to the point of foolishness." Serenity said "And she sounds like she needs a therapist because I'd say she's in denial, integrity? What integrity? You don't continue to perpetuate a lie when you no longer need to not with the stakes as high as they were, does she even realize the full extent of what that one omission has now thrown in front of her? Ok mini rant over, Nettie you know her best what do you think?" she turned to the former Rokkenjiman Premier and Imperial Councillor.
"Can I see Beatrice Anselmo falling on her sword like that? Yes." Nettie said "It's the sort of thing she'd do, she's also the type to see enemies at every turn, she's not just careful about who she trusts but what she trusts them with. Remember she lost her family and likely saw assassin's at every turn. What's she looking at?"
"If it's true it's perjury, she's guilty of it and she knows it." Serenity said "Perjury is ethier a fine or a custodial."
"And?" Nettie asked
"High profile case, opportunity to tell the truth when it was safe and before it was too late not taken, high profile defendant." Serenity said "You do the math. If she fights this she's going away for the maximum and all because of her damn pride."
"What if she doesn't fight it?" Nettie asked
"Less." Serenity said "But that isn't the important issue. The real problem is that Charles Ofdensen's leverage over Beatrice was the main plank of her defence during the Andean Genocide trials. She lied about the extent of that leverage  so it begs the question..."
"Did she lie about anything else?" Nettie asked
"Exactly." Serenity said "The full implication of the lie isn't the fact of the lie it's the fallout from it, right now Lt Foster and Ensign Morgan are deciding whether or not the impact of the lie is sufficient to take another run at Beatrice on the Uppsalla charges."
"Is there?" Rion asked
"I don't know but if she fights it that gets more likely." Serenity said "We're going to have to lose the battle to win the war. Rion talk to me about Lucinda."

"Objectively the operation makes sense." Rion said "King's Blood are led by Barren's cousin so placing Borland Town under surveillance is logical just in case the cub returns to the lair. Subjectively there are serious problems I have with it. First Rokkenjima mounting that operation - seriously why? There are two very good reasons why when you were kidnapped by the Borland Separatists Serenity that East Moreland ran point, one they're the Borland Separatist experts and two we avoided your father being held to ransom, putting anyone from Rokkenjima in the mix creates a wild card you don't need. Second I can't prove Lucinda was there based on our surveillance footage."
"You had Borland Town under surveillance?" Nettie asked
"The one advantage of Borland Town was that it presented a great opportunity to get data on the Separatists." Rion said "I had my four best shots staking the place out using camera traps to collect information, not one hit outside of the ones we already had thanks to our agreement with East Moreland, and we pulled out as late as we dared. But had we spotted Lucinda Hadley it would have been flagged, I can see her being there and I presume she was using a disguise but proving it? That's another thing entirely."
"Best guess?" Serenity asked
"Beatrice orders a surveillance mission, Lucinda proceeds to Borland Town in disguise hence why we didn't see her, but Lucinda's in effect the head of Royal Security in Rokkenjima and when you're the head of Royal Security and I speak from experience your number one priority and duty is the safety of that family, so what we have is Lucinda doing her job." Rion said "I'm not sure what can be proven beyond that in terms of any deal that was offered because you don't admit that."
"So how does that become the lie?" Serenity asked
"I remember this." Nettie said clicking her fingers as if a light bulb was switching on in her head "Lucinda was missing for a few days then she came back, Charles was especially curious about where she'd been. They had a conversation in his office."
"She tells him because she needs to gauge what to tell Beatrice." Rion said nodding "Charles goes from panic to calm because he realizes Lucinda doesn't know about his involvement in the kidnapping of Adriana, instead he files a report on it and holds onto it just in case he needs it. That coupled with threats to Evanthe and Euphemia that we know about coerces Beatrice into towing the line."
"So what are you going to do Serenity?" Nettie said

"I've never been able to stand bullies." Serenity said, maybe that was where Lisa got it from, her voice was bristling with fury "I've dealt with my fair share of them, Charles Ofdensen probably the most significant of them all. He doesn't get to win, none of his victims are going to suffer anymore."
"I get that but how?" Rion asked
"There's an old saying." Serenity said "Before you can be forgiven you must first forgive."
"You did hear Beatrice didn't you?" Nettie asked realizing what Serenity was driving at.
"Yes I did." Serenity said "But I won't let Charles Ofdensen's lust for power be evident anywhere except shattered on the floor of his cell. This has to end and it has to end in a way that breaks whatever spell Charles weaved over Pyrena, all this hate, all this bitterness it has to go. Do you want to stay for dinner?"
"Wish I could but I've got a meeting with the cabinet in the morning." Nettie said
"I'm with the intel briefing in the morning." Rion said

A few moments later with Nettie and Rion having left the Estate to get back to the Capital, Serenity stepped into the kitchen just finishing a phone call.
"Thank you Admiral." Serenity said, she hung up the phone and washed her hands ready to start doing the pizza's, she looked at Beatrice "We've got a court date tomorrow, we'll discuss what we're going to do about that after we've eaten and the girls are in bed." she started putting the components of the pizza's together, tomato and cheese with the homemade base "In short you're staying here tonight Beatrice. Mr Lelouch you're welcome to stay the night as well, I can easily make a room up for you. Pick your toppings girls." Astrid went for the ham, Lisa like her mother had a thing for pepperoni. Once Beatrice, Charlene and Lelouch had picked theirs, the pizza's were in the oven and Serenity turned her attention to the drinks, Astrid was on milk, Lisa a banana milkshake, Serenity chose a diet coke as did Charlene.

Once the pizza's were ready Lisa laid the table and Serenity served them.
"So." Serenity said "Tell me a little about Adriana." she hadn't yet made her mind up about Beatrice's earlier request and this seemed like a reasonable opportunity to broach that subject.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 11:05:42 PM »
"The last I spoke to her she had earned herself some time in detention, no doubt her father's influence at play," Beatrice said with a chuckle. "At times she reminds me of myself before the trauma though, following the incident, I can see reflections of myself post-trauma as well. There were nights Alex and I both had worried we lost her along the way, though with time comes healing, and soon we resumed our routine of watching Doctor Who, following up on the day's studies, just as I am proud of her I also admire her. Her dedication to expanding her knowledge, her compassion, the kindness in her heart are remarkable each time I speak with her."

"Though we have not had the time to spend together as a family as of late, it's something I wish to change. Phone calls and video only get you so far, it's not the same as spending good quality time together as a family. It's time I missed out on with my parents that I cannot allow her to miss, and it's a constant fear of mine to leave her in a position where she is left without Alex and I. Allowing her to face that, even the prospect of its potential inevitability, very much keeps me up at night."

"I know there is much to be done, even as we sit here and the moments pass away my thoughts are centred on ensuring that does not happen to her. Whatever I need to do, not only in regards to the Court but also to the pursuit of truth and justice," Beatrice paused looking to Lelouch before continuing, "Do forgive me, but in many ways I have placed my future in your hands. I know I have made errors, misjudged people and situations, but knowing all which is at risk and with Charles behind us, I need you perhaps more than ever before. Help me to see this through to a just resolution and preserve and protect my family, I can't do it alone and while I have approached my many challenges as a struggle through which I felt I had to stand alone, I must trust in you."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 02:36:45 AM »
Pizza was followed by lemon meringue pie and a little more chat before Charlene took the girls upstairs to get them ready for bed with Serenity's promises of reading a bedtime story in a few minutes. Now Serenity, Beatrice and Lelouch returned to the lounge. Serenity had spent a lot of time thinking through what could happen the following day, normally with court cases there were options but not this time. This time the case was a slam dunk. She sighed and looked at Beatrice, how to deal with this? Fighting was out of the question which only left damage limitation - but that carried at least one price that Serenity was sure Beatrice wouldn't like, that said there wasn't really another way out of it.

"You know I've always hated bullies." Serenity said "I hate the bully winning, just doesn't seem right that someone who takes pleasure in tormenting others should prosper. We let this go on and the only winner is Charles. He may have been sentenced to life in prison but his insurance policy looks set to land you right there with him not to mention tear Rokkenjima's international relations apart. Well he doesn't get to win. Starting right now we're taking his game and we're shoving it right down his throat. Tomorrow you're going to plead guilty, you'll probably do a little jail time but this way we should avoid a retrail of the Andean Genocide stuff and the sentence will be far lighter than it otherwise would be. Should you end up with a custodial sentence we'll make arrangements for you to be kept updated on domestic Rokkenjiman and international affairs.

Secondly by means of an exchange program we'll make arrangements for Adriana to stay up here for a few weeks, I'll put her up and keep an eye on her. But trust me on this you don't forget when you've been kidnapped, it's happened to me twice so I know what I'm talking about." Serenity paused picking up one of the landline phones from its charger "Third you're going to drop the charges against Lucinda and rescind the arrest warrant against her tonight, you issued the orders, you put her in that position and she acted with good intentions as a Head of Royal Security should in regards to her duty. It isn’t that I don’t believe you it’s that neither of us can prove it, therefore Mr Lelouch you are going to tell me precisely where Lucinda is.

You want forgiveness? Then first you must forgive, so that's exactly what you're going to do. You're going to forgive her, you're going to show Charles that you're better than him and you're going to show the world that you can accept responsibility for your actions. Do we have an agreement?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:21:28 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
Beatrice thought for a moment, "I will need to speak with Lucinda before proceeding, as there are still issues to which I do not have the answers. I should have known better than to put her in such a position, however, she was the only person I could trust with such a detail. I would like to hear what happened from her lips, why she took the steps and made the decisions she did; I need to hear it from her. There's things her eyes and voice can tell me that no report could ever hope to delve into."

"Lelouch, how soon could you have her here?" Beatrice asked. "Assuming she is willing to leave Dartfordia, we could have her here in rather short order via air. Though, as I said, that depends on her willingness to leave the Kingdom." Beatrice promptly picked up her phone, brought up Lucinda's information, and sent a message. "Absolution. Details will be sent shortly for your transportation to Avalon."

"She shouldn't ignore that, arrange for a flight and send the information to Lucinda please," she said returning her attention to Lelouch. "You see, Lucinda and I have protocols for a variety of different circumstances. When she sees my message she'll know that any perceived crime against me is forgiven without condition. She'll also know that it is of utmost importance that she complies with my request. Once she has arrived we may move forward; Lelouch will clear the Imperial Concorde for her use so as to ensure she is brought here swiftly."

Meanwhile, in Dartfordia.
"I still believe that you're allowing too much to occur on school grounds," Lucinda said as she spoke with Alex via telephone, "Quite simply such situations would not happen if they were placed under my purview. She's the future Empress of Rokkenjima which demands a measure of respect to be shown to her. I'm certain Beatrice told you of the time I shoved two delinquents into..." "Yes Lucy she's told me, but we don't do that here. Trust me when I say that there's no need for you to become involved."

"Well I was simply saying it wouldn't happen in Rokkenjima, one second," she said as the message came through. "We'll continue this later, I've a flight to Achkaerin to catch." "You're not turning yourself in, I don't care what Beatrice believes it's not right," Alex replied, almost as an order. "She's not seeking my arrest, though if she wished for my detention it would only be a matter of time. I was planning to wrap up my affairs and see to it that any services I provide to you are adequately seen to, after which I had already booked passage to Rokkenjima. I am an instrument of her will, my life is hers in whatever capacity she sees fit. I may not formally hold the title but my term of service does not require a formal title, you know that."

"But..." "Shush, Alex, you worry over nothing. I know her well, better than you do, and all is well. She would not lie to me in this situation." With that Lucinda ended the call and informed the Dartfordians of recent developments while reminding them that there was little they could do to stop her. Following a flight to Achkaerin, which undoubtedly granted Beatrice time to converse with Serenity further, Lucinda presented herself to the first official she came across.

"You know who I am, the Empress requests my presence. You will take me to her as quickly as possible."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:25 AM »
"Ms Hadley." someone said, this was Julian Lawson, he was accompanied by his colleague Cyd Dixon, they'd been dispatched to pick Lucinda up not because they were expecting trouble but because the nature of the situation was as delicate as it was, there was after all still a warrant for her arrest out on her but the Achkaerinese government hadn't yet said whether or not it supported it, sometimes politics was a blessing, "You'll come with us please." Cyd was keeping her distance while Julian was a little closer but all three of them were experienced and professional enough to know that this wasn't going anywhere other than the route of compliance and sure enough they were soon in a car driving away, the car's destination was Ashai Castle, no longer a castle these days now it was the home of Achkaerin's Military Intelligence so it was the home of the Military Defence Initiative and Justicar Operations, though there was also an administration floor where the National Security officials and intelligence higher ups had offices.

"We should explain something." Julian said, he was riding in the back of the car with Lucinda while Cyd drove "Our orders are in two parts, while we have got orders for you to see Beatrice Anselmo, those orders are conditional upon your assistance with our own inquiries into the matter, as I'm sure you'll appreciate a matter of perjury is quite serious anyway but this is around a war crimes trial so we need to be certain that this is for real, so we need to question you in isolation from the Empress first. Once that's done if all goes well this morning then you may get your chance to see her."

In Avalon the morning sun was filtering through the curtains, Serenity had been up for an hour anyway, having spent most of the night tossing and turning, now she sat on her bed wearing her nightclothes which were a pair of black shorts and a red t-shirt. Her phone rang it was Rion
"Yes?" Serenity asked
"My people have picked up Lucinda, we'll be questioning her in an hour or so." Rion said
"We're in court at half ten." Serenity said "With luck it won't be too long."
"I'll have everything set on this end." Rion said "Just call when you're ready."
"Good." Serenity said

Serenity hung up the phone and walked over to the walk in wardrobe her room had, she picked up one her navy uniforms and after putting it on her bed, went about her morning routine of washing, brushing her teeth, getting dressed, having breakfast and waking her girls up to make sure they were ready for nursery in Astrid's case and school in Lisa's case. Serenity soon found herself at the foot of the stairs looking into a mirror making sure her uniform looked right, yeah there was absolutely no pressure on her today was there? Just the small matter of defending Beatrice Anselmo in a courtroom. Now then once Lelouch and Beatrice were ready they could be on their way.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
Lucinda shot a stare in Julian's direction, "That is Empress Beatrice Anselmo. Sorry," she paused, "Prior to leaving the Kingdom I had a conversation with the Emperor Emeritus about some children not according respect to the Crown Princess, and you could say I don't have an off-switch when it comes to the formalities of the Throne. Do not mistake my tone for disrespect, there's a reason you've rarely seen or heard from me. I am not a people person, at least in the conventional sense."

"With that being said I trust this won't take long. The sooner we clear these processes I may answer the request of the Empress."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
Serenity, Beatrice, Lelouch and Charlene stepped out of the lift at JAG HQ, they were on the courtroom level it was as one would imagine the purpose built level for legal proceedings, the last time Beatrice had been here had been the Andean Genocide Trial.
"Who's prosecuting?" Serenity asked as she opened the courtroom door and let the others go inside
"Lt Foster." Charlene said "As expected."
"Ok then." Serenity said, she followed them inside and indicated that Beatrice should sit at one of the tables that were towards the front of the courtroom, Charlene and Lelouch sat on the front row of the public gallery, Serenity would sit next to Beatrice "Now listen carefully, you do what I say and you accept whatever the outcome is in an understanding manner, both you personally and Rokkenjima."

The courtroom door opened again and in walked Lieutenant Nell Foster, the officer assigned to prosecute the case she sat at the table across the aisle from where Serenity and Beatrice were and just as Serenity was doing, Nell started to organize her case materials. Then came the loud bang and the door behind the bench opened and in walked the judge assigned to the case Wing Commander Edward Warner, everyone in the room stood out of respect and once Edward had sat down they did so.

"This court will come to order." Edward said "It's very unusual for this Court to try a defendant who is not a member of the Achkaerinese armed forces or is being tried under the provisions of the Uppsalla Convention. However given that the offence relates to the Andean Genocide Trial, the jurisdiction in this matter has been retained by this court. Given the sensitive nature of some of the evidence that may be presented the joint motion filed by the prosecution and defence filed last night to hold the court proceedings in a closed session is granted and there is a Military Police officer standing guard outside ensuring that only those parties with cause are present. Are both parties satisfied?"
"Yes Your Honour." Nell said
"Yes Your Honour." Serenity said, as she sat down she noticed the only other person in the room, she'd presumably snuck in just as the Judge was coming in but there sat on the back row was Maki Hamer, Serenity let out a breath, what the heck was Maki doing there?

"Beatrice Anselmo." Edward said "You stand charged with the offence of Perjury. How do you plead?" Several pairs of eyes shifted their gaze towards the defence bench, this was a big moment, this was fight or flight. Serenity knew what she'd advised, but there was thing about Beatrice she had a few bad habits when it came to listening to calmer minds, that was how the Great Chasm had happened in the first place the relentless pursuit of 'peace and stability on Rokkenjiman terms' as opposed to 'peace and stability on fair terms'
"Guilty." Beatrice said, Serenity let out another breath that was it avoid a contested case.
"Lt Foster." Edward said

Nell got to her feet and paused for a few moments, gathering her thoughts.
"Your Honour the defendant Beatrice Anselmo has been charged with Perjury, specifically Perjury in relation to the events of the Andean Genocide Trial. According to sworn statements given by the defendant at the time of the trial it was the case that Charles Ofdensen used the 'fact' of her contact with Kyle Barren as a means to blackmail her into keeping silent on the Andean Genocide matter once she became aware of the continued activities of Toshikawan forces." Nell said
"Lieutenant." Edward said briefly interrupting Nell "This is the same statement given by her husband, other defendants in that case and several witness's. Yet only Beatrice Anselmo is charged?"
"Yes Your Honour" Nell said "The truth here is that Beatrice Anselmo knew she was committing Perjury, the only other defendant who may have known is Charles Ofdensen, the other defendants and witness's are significantly far enough down the communication line that they were not privy to all the details. Finally as Lucinda Hadley, who has been named as the actual contact point with Barren, was not on trial at the time nor was she interviewed as or called as a witness she cannot be charged with Perjury."
"I see." Edward said "Carry on."

"Thank you Your Honour." Nell said "Beatrice Anselmo committed Perjury, worse she had the opportunity during the Andean Genocide Trial to come clean, instead she told only a partial truth, this partial truth was enough to get her acquitted and sentence seven of the remaining eight co-defendants. However it is the submission of the Prosecution that if we remove the blackmail of contacting Barren from the equation then we remove the leverage that Ofdensen had over the defendant, in so doing it paints a picture of someone with command authority and the de facto head of state of Toshikawa at the time by virtue of the Mentorship not complying with article one of the Uppsalla Convention. Therefore the Prosecution submits that Beatrice Anselmo is not only guilty of Perjury but also that her act of Perjury led to a miscarriage of justice in regards to the verdict at her trial, this the prosecution contests on the basis that the defence used the now false fact as the main plank of the defence and it's removal would most likely have led to a different verdict. The Prosecution seeks a custodial sentence and submits grounds to appeal the not guilty verdict at the Andean Genocide Trial."

"Thank you Lieutenant Foster" Edward said "Lieutenant Azurewind." Serenity waited a few moments before rising to her feet, she'd been worried that the prosecution would use this to take another run at the original trial verdict, this was partly why she'd told Beatrice to go for a guilty plea to try and head off what had just happened.

"Your Honour the defence does not dispute the matter of the Perjury, Beatrice Anselmo has pleaded guilty to that offence and we will accept the sentence accorded to that by the Court. Lieutenant Foster does make a strong case in her submission for appeal of verdict." Serenity said "At trial the defence successfully argued that Beatrice Anselmo took all reasonable steps to enact the provisions of the Uppsalla Convention at the time through her attempts to enforce the terms of the Mentorship. Nothing argued by the Prosecution changes this point, it is simply the case that the prosecution appears to be contesting that if the defendant lied about one thing then she may  have lied about other things. Now that is a legitimate argument but there is no suggestion that she lied about issuing the orders she claims to have issued in her revised statement, the evidence at trial supports that statement, the question is whether or not she could reasonably have acted sooner or done more if the suggestion of blackmail over the Barren issue is removed."

Serenity paused for a few moments glancing over her shoulder at Maki, the two of them were pretty good friends and this was one issue that stirred a lot of fury up as Maki was by birth Nueva Ardian royalty.

"I submit that the answer to that question is likely yes however likely does not mean beyond all reasonable doubt and that is the threshold that we are interested in on that point." Serenity continued "Now Beatrice Anselmo is someone who has no criminal convictions to her name, she has in the course of this process handed herself voluntarily into Achkaerinese custody when she was under no obligation to do so and she has pleaded guilty to the offence of which she is charged all of these things speak to her previous good character. As this would be her first conviction we would submit for a community punishment order and a fine or a suspended sentence."

"Lieutenant." Edward said putting up his hand to stop Serenity from sitting down "Can I trust counsel to negotiate a deal? I have no desire to open up a can of worms."
"Yes Your Honour." Nell said
"Yes sir." Serenity said

Serenity and Nell quickly stepped to the side of the courtroom and engaged in a very hushed, very intense conversation before returning to their respective positions.
"We have an agreement Your Honour." Serenity said
"Let's hear it." Edward said
"Six month custodial sentence in a low to medium risk prison with no restrictions as to parole, a fine of र800,000,000 to be paid by the defendant personally and not from government accounts." Nell said "And a ten year custodial sentence suspended."
"Very well." Edward said "The six month custodial can be served at Lakeside medium security. You'll see to the transportation Lieutenant Azurewind?"
"Yes sir." Serenity said
"Court is adjourned." Edward said, he banged his gavel and stood up. Serenity let out a deep sigh and turned to look at Maki
"Charlene take Beatrice and Lelouch to my office please." Serenity said "I'll catch you up."
"Of course." Charlene said

Serenity caught up with Maki outside the courtroom.
"You saw me in there and you tacked on the ten years didn't you?" Maki asked
"Course I did, I can't let her run off scott free." Serenity said "She'll be out in six weeks provided she behaves well, but if she does anything like it again those ten years will hit her like a ton of bricks. Now what the heck were you doing here?"
"I'm an exiled Nueva Ardian Royal living in Achkaerin." Maki said "I get letters from the victims families, I got some more this morning and late last night, so I guess it was what I could do for them."
"Do me a favor and hang around for a bit." Serenity said "I want to go via Coral Rift when I'm dropping off Beatrice, and you'll probably want to come with me for this."
"Ok." Maki said

Serenity smiled and walked towards her office One down, one to go she thought, now it was all about Lucinda.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Following the proceedings Beatrice felt relieved, "See, I told you things would be fine so long as you cooperated," she said to Lelouch. "If you have faith in the Crown Princess I've no reason to doubt that, though you will have some decisions to make upon your return to Rokkenjima," he continued. "Already taking care of those concerns," Beatrice sighed, "Though we will need to see where our friends stand on the proposals I shall be making. We cannot, even once, risk the chaos of the past; very much what we need to ensure is this new era is built on a firm foundation."

"What do you have in mind?" Lelouch asked. "The People deserve an opportunity to cast a vote of confidence in the Crown, therefore, upon my return we shall see a referendum on my continued rule. This shall be monitored by CSU, perhaps LISA, observers and will either provide for me a mandate to resume rule or set the stage for great work before us. Secondly, while I trust Koizumi we need change in the position of the Vicegerency. I can see why Eva has chosen him, however, we need a pair of outside eyes and one who I am confident will not be afraid to voice their opinion or say "no", whether to myself or the Imperial Council, in those moments it is most needed."

"It will be interesting to see how this plays out," Lelouch said as he took a seat. "I know I need not say this, but you've got to take care of yourself as well. Standing alone is not a position of strength but one of weakness, a retreat if you will from those challenges most difficult." "I know this well now, where for so long I had strayed from reason and wisdom those days are firmly behind me. Throughout the worst of our days, to this very moment in fact, Achkaerin stood by us, and it is by the grace of Islyna that their faith and patience persisted."

"Regardless of whatever is to come next, for the first time in a while, when I look at the horizon I see not gathering clouds but a stream of light cutting through. We will not forsake it."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
With Maki having been calmed down, at least for now, Serenity headed to her office where Beatrice and Lelouch were sat
"Now then there's just one matter left to deal with." she said opening her laptop and bringing up a camera feed of a room, it was empty of everyone except Rion for now but soon there would be two others in the room one of whom the two Rokkenjiman's knew.

At Ashai Castle, Rion was waiting in what some would probably call an interview room but it was anything but, yes it was where interview's happened but this was more of an interrogation room than anything else, she looked up as Julian opened the reinforced door and led Lucinda inside, Cyd had gone to an adjoining room to observe through the one way window, which was essentially looking through what appeared to be a mirror, she would be in that room with Miranda Kalenchic, the Military Defence Initiative's profiler. It wasn't like the Justicar's didn't learn the psychology tricks themselves it was more that the subject in this matter was Lucinda Hadley, a woman from the same world as they were, well at least supposedly so such a subject who knew all the same tricks required the presence of the expert.

"Have a seat" Rion said indicating a chair on one side of a table for Lucinda to sit in, Julian walked around the table and sat opposite Lucinda while Rion stood with her back against a wall facing Lucinda, her gaze flicked to the camera that was sending the feed back to Avalon "I have a problem Lucinda, I spent yesterday evening examining a mountain of evidence provided by your successor that says you may have committed some crimes against the laws of Rokkenjima and you know what? I believe it, I can see you doing it but I don't buy malicious motives, you're head of royal security you're responsibility is to protect those in your charge whatever it takes. Thing is that even that has its limits which is where we come to a bit of a quandary.

I believe Beatrice Anselmo ordered you to carry out a surveillance operation, I believe you went outside the remit she gave you to carry out your responsibilities in terms of protecting the family and given time I can prove it, you wouldn't know it but we had a surveillance operation going on, we were running facial recognition and we didn't see you so I think you were wearing a disguise of some sort but there are things even a disguise can't hide. So you get one chance to come clean and tell the truth, one chance to save yourself and then I decide whether I'm going to throw you down a hole to rot or if I'm going to offer you a shot at redemption."