Author Topic: Corridors of Power  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Corridors of Power
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Corridors of Power

Ever wondered what Achkaerinese politicians really think? How they do their jobs? Well here's a collection of stories featuring everyone from the Consul to the Cabinet, the Prefects and we'll even throw in the delegates at international organisations. Follow them as they deal with all manner of issues from the deadly serious to the downright hilarious, from the known to the need to know.

Table of Contents

The Morning After
Changes
A Storm's A Coming
The Whirlwind, the Judges and the Annual Dance
On the Sand
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:40:08 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Corridors of Power
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
The Morning After

Rhian Kennedy, the Vice Consul walked into Liberty Hall, it was the morning after Referendum night, not that she remembered an awful lot of it after the outcome for Leave had been declared, she was under no illusions that the result would play differently across Mundus, some nations would understand the reasoning behind the result, others would probably throw toys out of the pram. But that wouldn't change the outcome or the reason for it, it was absolutely unacceptable to expect a nation to continually do half of the heavy lifting when push came to shove and it was even worse to make promises and then not act on them, this had been the driving force among the public that had led to the Leave vote, they'd seen a figure associated with the number of dead Achkaerinese soldiers on CTO deployments and they'd seen the list of broken promises from other CTO nations and then they'd started to wonder how many Achkaerinese soldiers would have had their lives spared if those promises hadn't been broken.

Rhian made her way into the Consul's office and found Michael Williams sat behind his desk waiting for her.

"Congratulations." Michael said
"Thanks." Rhian said
"The Emperor's spoken to the Secretary General and a joint statement is being drafted." Michael said, he handed Rhian a piece of paper "Basic outline."
"They worked that out fast." Rhian said as she read it "Seems fair."
"Advantages of family I think." Michael said
"So CMA is the future?" Rhian asked
"Yes." Michael said "It's a much more streamlined CTO with a much more helpful and caring membership. We'll simply have Cheryl and her staff relocate to the CMA headquarters."

"What else is on the Agenda?" Rhian asked
"Climate change invitations are going out later today, the Emperor's keen on building up diplomatic relations with more nations including our soon to be new partners in the CMA." Michael said, what the media would undoubtedly take to call Achxit would probably dominate for a while "And then there's the foreign and defence policy review, I think Michelle will be glad to finally get that over with."
"You said it." Rhian said "What about the Lakhzovia issue?"
"Cheryl's last hurrah at the Palace of Nations." Michael said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:02:56 AM »
Changes

"Do we have the votes?" David Ward, the Minister of Education asked resisting the urge to bang his fist on the Cabinet Table at Cerulean House the official residence of the Consul, located on the outskirts of Valtheim.
"Yes." Michelle Lowe the Cabinet Secretary said "Majority of the Endeavor Party are favorable to this, which combined with the Patriot Party's position and those Unity Party Senators that will back it should put it over the line."
"Forgive me but we're talking about the most significant educational system reform since the Senate was installed under Empress Djana." David said, looking around the table "If we put this tomorrow I want to know whether we'll win or not."
"We'll win David." Consul Michael Williams said from the head of the table "We've got enough votes, Progressive will likely be the opposition or at least the mouthpiece of the opposition but with Endeavor supporting this  we've got enough to get over the line." Michael now looked around the table, it was the last scheduled Cabinet meeting before the Christmas Recess, it had been a difficult few months for various reasons "Every child of the future will benefit from this, it's time that the schools woke up to the fact that they aren't sausage factories. Not everyone does well in exams, not everyone is the right fit for university. This system has to change and it will change because we will be the ones to change it."

"How's the Emperor's foreign policy project doing?" Lizbeth Stewart, the Minister of Home Affairs asked
"Richard?" Michael asked
"It's going well." Richard Chambers the Minister of Foreign Affairs said, slowly "We're establishing relations with nations and hopefully within a few weeks the Emperor will be extending the invitations. Prince Simon has extended the invitation to the newly crowned Emperor Orion."
"He's a thirteen year old kid." Michael said
"The Crown Princess was fifteen when she started doing diplomatic duty." Richard said
"True." Michael said "Anything else?"

"Yes." Lizbeth said "We've been getting an increase in Solonian's coming into the country. Pregnant Solonians."
"Oh boy." Michael said "Their government outlaws contraception and with abortion already illegal anyone who doesn't want or can't cope with another kid is heading where they can legally have an abortion."
"That bloody fool." Kathryn Deed, the Minister of Science and Technology said "What is it going to take?"
"You flying down to Celestis, kicking his door in and slapping him?" Rhian Kennedy the Vice Consul asked
"Tempting but no." Kathryn said

"Rhian can I ask you to figure something out for that please." Michael said, Rhian nodded "Adam, Mark what's the status of Broken Arrow?"
"In practical terms most of the pieces are almost ready." Adam Sheppard said "Riviere's sent Heaven's Dagger for initial testing, the Resonance is in the posting testing stage i.e. performance evaluation and analysis, the Hope is still on schedule for completion in the new year and the Normandy Class is presently undergoing testing."
"Intel wise it's a little more difficult." Mark Sharpe said "We're getting good intel on one side but not on the other yet." this was in truth partly why the Bene Gesserit had been approached "Should that change then we may end up with a window."
"Think we'll get it?" Michael asked
"Saki has it in hand." Mark said.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:19:36 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
A Storm's A Coming

There was something almost surreal about the Chamber of Liberty Hall on a weekend, the Senate by tradition didn't meet on a weekend unless there was an emergency situation that demanded it, however the various government ministers were still at work, for the Consul Michael Williams it was something of a personal tradition of his that every Saturday afternoon he spent some time in the chamber, during that time he tended to internally debate whether it was the aftermath of battle or the calm before the storm of battle broke. He looked around the chamber the horseshoe layout of the bench's, he'd had some barnstorming fights in this chamber over the years whether he'd been fighting as a backbencher against attempts to privatise the Achkaerin Health Service, to bringing in the Green Energy Transition Act during his first term as Consul. He knew there would be other big fights to come as well, there were rumors flying around the building which was evidence enough of that.

"Michael." Michelle Lowe the Cabinet Secretary said from the doorway to the Chamber, Michael turned to look at her "Reliving your greatest hits again?"
"Thinking about what's to come." Michael said "What's up?"
"The Emperor wants you to run point on the Safraen visit." Michelle said
"And why is the Emperor not meeting the President of Safraen himself?" Michael asked
"Because President Dretsyj scheduled this at the last minute, the Emperor is already meeting with the Himeyaman Premier that day." Michelle said
"And he knows that I can get Rhian to cover." Michael said
"There's also this from Melinda." Michelle said handing Michael a note
"She's in Lodja at the MCUR summit." Michael said
"Well mobile phones these days are smartphones for the most part and smartphones have this wonderful capability to send emails." Michelle said "I'd read it."

Michael nodded and did so, the words were straight up and they screamed trouble at him, he closed his eyes for a moment
"I want everyone in tomorrow afternoon." he said
"You sure?" Michelle said
"Oh yeah." Michael said "We need to be ahead of this and come Monday morning if this gets sorted over the weekend they'll be an urgent motion coming from the opposition."
"Got it." Michelle said
"What else is there?" Michael asked
"You've got the Royal Liaison Officer appointment to make." Michelle said
"I'm meeting the appointee Monday morning during recess." Michael said "You've drafted the letter for the Emperor's approval?"
"Yes." Michelle said "I'm amazed he isn't the one making this appointment."
"Technically he is." Michael said "How many meetings did you and I have with Nettie Taylor and Kumiko Arkwright?"
"Point taken." Michelle said
"Will the Senate confirm the appointment?" Michael asked
"By a landslide going by our numbers." Michelle said

"Good." Michael said nodding, the last thing he wanted now was any more surprises and roadblocks. He glanced around again Definitely the calm before the storm he thought. 

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
The Whirlwind, the Judges and the Annual Dance

It was going to be a busy day at Liberty Hall, well it always was but with numerous new developments sprouting up across Mundus things were getting more and more animated, the Consul or to put it another way the head of the elected Government Michael Williams was walking down the office corridor with the Speaker of the Senate Oliver Thornton, normally the Consul talking to someone outside the coalition parties would raise eyebrows but as Oliver was the Speaker this was something expected.
"So as you can see Michael." Oliver was saying indicating a piece of paper that he'd handed to the Consul, the Senate's next quarterly schedule, "We're going to start with the Business Enterprise Act, the Royal Budget report, then we've got Senate confirmations, building up to the budget and the Covenant Address."
"I see." Michael said "How's Deborah enjoying being assigned to the embassy in Lodja?"
"She's having fun while she decides what she wants to do with herself." Oliver said "She's playing polo for the Queen's team at the weekend apparently."
"I bet you and Kara would have liked to have got down there." Michael said
"We would but she's got a mountain of work and I've got to be here." Oliver said "As the deputy speaker has decided this would be an excellent week to ride a bicycle into a tree and break their leg." They were now approaching Michael's rooms within Liberty Hall, waiting for Michael was the Cabinet Secretary Michelle Lowe
"The candidate for Royal Liaison Officer is meeting you in five minutes." Michelle said
"Thank you." Michael said "I'll see you on the floor Oliver."

Slightly down the corridor the Minister of Home Affairs Lizbeth Stewart and the Minister of Work and Pensions Daniel Blackburn were having a conversation, though it was more preparatory work for an upcoming Bill around a new employment initiative.
"Daniel." Lizbeth said, momentarily diverting their conversation as she saw Michael enter his rooms, "Has anyone told Michael yet?"
"Told him?" Daniel asked
"Who the candidate for Royal Liaison Officer is." Lizbeth said
"Oh..." Daniel said
"...Bugger." Lizbeth said "Do you want to get the popcorn or should I?"

Michael stepped into his rooms, hung up his jacket on the coat rack and after getting a glass of water he stepped into the office and almost instantly dropped the glass, because the person waiting for him, the candidate he was there to meet was none other than Roslyn Williams, his tear away daughter, so much of a tearaway in fact that a few years earlier there had been a huge falling out and she'd left home and not really been heard of.
"What are you doing here?" Michael said
"Nice to see you to Dad." Roslyn said
"Roslyn it's great to see you alive and intact but I've got a meeting any minute and I really don't have the time to deal with this now..." Michael said
"Yeah I'm your meeting." Roslyn said, Michael looked up
"You're the candidate for Royal Liaison Officer?" Michael asked
"Yes." Roslyn said, Michael rolled his eyes and went to the door
"Michelle!" he yelled, Michelle appeared in the doorway a few seconds later closing it behind her "Did someone forget to mention it was April Fools day?"
"Look Dad..." Roslyn said
"How exactly did you get this candidacy?" Michael asked

"You can't backpack if you can't fund it." Roslyn said, "I did some vlogging at first then started having to support myself with some temporary jobs, when I was in Dartfordia I saw an opening for an admin position at the Achkaerin embassy, next thing I know I'm being flown up here for what I'm told was job training."
"That'll be Nettie Taylor and Kumiko Arkwright doing their vetting." Michelle said, at this point the door opened again and in walked Michael's wife Siobhan Williams
"Michael we need to talk about the..." Siobhan said then she saw Roslyn
"Hi Mum." Roslyn said
"What are you doing here?" Siobhan asked
"She's the candidate for Royal Liaison Officer." Michael said
"How did that happen?" Siobhan asked
"I've never professed to understand the machinations of the Emperor's mind and I'm not going to start now." Michelle said

"Do you know the job?" Michael asked
"Yeah, be the link between your lot and the Royals." Roslyn said
"Good." Michael said, he walked over to his desk and picked up a sealed envelope "Oh come here." he pulled Roslyn into a hug
"About time." Michelle muttered
"Job number one." Michael said "Confirmation this afternoon, job number two once you're confirmed into office is to take this envelope and deliver it to the Emperor." he handed Roslyn the envelope.
"What is it?" Roslyn asked
"It's an invitation for the Emperor to address the Senate." Michael said "Tradition as per the Covenant Address. Siobhan what was it you wanted?"

"The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court died in the early hours of this morning." Siobhan said
"That's job number three Roslyn." Michael said "Did you say the Chief Justice?"
"Yes." Siobhan said
"So there's not only an empty spot on the bench to fill but a new Chief Justice to appoint?" Michael said
"Yes." Siobhan said
"Get ready for surprises then." Michael said

"Michael!" another voice now shattered the relative calm in the office as Lizbeth now stepped inside
"Yes Lizbeth?" Michael asked
"We've got a problem." Lizbeth said "The Dispatch Bill's getting a run out."
"Who by this time?" Siobhan asked
"Endeavour backbencher's, some Liberals and Puritans." Lizbeth said
"Who's leading it?" Michael asked
"Senator Miller." Lizbeth said

"What's going on?" Roslyn asked
"About once every Senate term, sometimes more a group of Senators bring a Bill seeking to reintroduce the death penalty, it's always a tight run thing either way if it pass's the Senate the Emperor veto's it because it's too tight to call it a convincing majority and then the aforementioned Senators shut up until the next Senate term where they try again." Lizbeth said "Hasn't happened recently because of the MCUR but the words coming out of that meeting are that article 2 is being amended to permit the reintroduction."
"Michelle get me a nose count, Siobhan I want meetings with Rhian and Ajax." Michael said, he turned to Lizbeth "We need to win this one and I mean win it, with fanfare, curtain call and a victory lap. We need to slap this down with an overwhelming majority that kills it once and for all. No pun intended."
"Let's do it." Lizbeth said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
On the Sand

Cerulean House, home of the Consul and family, had seen many interesting political meetings in its time but probably not one quite like this. The Cabinet sat around the table, or in some cases walked around the Cabinet room, as they dealt with what they needed to deal with. The Consul Michael Williams was pacing around the room, it was not the best day he'd ever had.

"Michelle?" Michael asked looking at the Cabinet Secretary Michelle Lowe
"High Fell." Michelle said
"No need to do anything about it." the Minister of Defence Adam Sheppard said "It's not something we need to be concerned about yet. Leave it to Bakkermaya to deal with, they're more than capable of handling it without international involvement as it stands."
"Mark?" Michael asked looking at the National Security Advisor Mark Sharpe
"The PLA has an estimated 500 members at most according to the data, and we've yet to see anything of their methods, we'll keep our guard up but as the Attorney General correctly pointed out when addressing the Senate we don't want to invite ridiculous breaches of the Uppsalla Convention by acting in a disproportionate manner." Mark said "We gather intelligence on them and if they take things up a level or two we make sure we're ready for them."

"Ok next." Michael said as he continued to pace the room
"Slavery." the Vice Consul Rhian Kennedy said "Freestone mark, are we planning on introducing legislation?"
"To adopt it?" Michael asked
"Yes." Rhian said
"Implications?" Michael asked
"If we set it as national for businesses then we're talking about penalties for those businesses that don't adopt it." the Business Minister Percy Higgins said "That won't go over well."
"Flip it." the Minister of Trade Viola Summers said "Rewards not penalties."
"Go on." Michael said
"Develop a scheme for businesses that already operate in this country but also one that we can use when discussing trade internationally." Viola said "If they adopt the Freestone Mark they get rewards."
"Would that get through the Senate?" Rhian asked
"I'd expect so." Michelle said "Massive majority as well I'd bet."
"Well with the leader of the Liberal Party being a Zimalian refugee I'd expect nothing less." Michael said "Olivia get something together, run it by the Palace for consultation and then present it to the Senate, we'll work out broader policy internationally when he's back from East Moreland. Next?"

"Related to Slavery." Michael's son James Williams, the youth minister, said "The student law clinic at Valor University has sent in a petition calling on the government to act over Patricus Bateson's participation in the slave trade citing that he breached the Mundus Convention on Universal Rights."
"Student law clinic?" Michael asked
"The Youth Conference is also supporting it." James said
"Samuel?" Rhian asked looking across the table at where the Attorney General Samuel White sat "Do they have a case?"

"It's a technical one, relying on a few things and it's unfortunate but yes they do." Samuel said "MCUR enjoys as its jurisdiction the sovereign territory of its signatories, statements made in the Rokkenjiman press give rise to the belief that even if only for a couple of hours or so we have a Rokkenjiman citizen in possession of papers giving him ownership of a family also on Rokkenjiman soil, that's an apparent breach of article 5.1"
"Would that win in court?" Michael asked
"Judges don't rule based on morality, they rule based on the law." Samuel said "And though it's one of the most perverse applications of the MCUR it would appear to be a breach."
"This is one headache I don't need." Michael said as he sat down in the chair "Options?"
"Pursue it, handle it or stop it." Viola said
"The students will pursue it whatever so there's no way we're stopping it." Rhian said
"So we handle it." Michael said "Talk to the Viceregent of Rokkenjima ask him to nip this in the bud before it blows up into a major thing, slavery's going to be the topic for a while and it's really not helping anything to have people who should know better doing stuff like this."

"What about Tamora in general?" Percy asked
"There's a broader discussion tabled in a few days time after the Emperor returns" Roslyn Williams said "The Emperor will discuss with his advisors potential options and then work through them with you before making a decision."
"All right then." Michael said "Let's get on with it."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:13:15 PM »
Here We Go Again

Michael Williams, the Consul of Achkaerin, was not a very happy man. He'd been hoping for a few easy days leading up to the adjournment statement on Thursday, the first one that his daughter would give as the new Royal Liaison Officer. Yet here he was sat behind his desk with the deputy national security advisor Saki Ryoko on the other side.

"So let me get this straight East Moreland apparently in much the same way Kaitaine did carried out a series of assassinations on foreign soil?" Michael asked "Anyone asked the Viceregent how the Empress's mental state is? Ok rant over but in all honesty what the actual frakking hell is going on down there?"
"There's no evidence linking this to East Moreland but thanks to Major Kirby it is verified that the dead are all Anausa." Saki said, that hadn't been the most pleasant phone call she'd ever made "This is a complete balls up."
"Who the hell is this source?" Michael asked
"Rion's got a list of suspects." Saki said "One thing that's helpful there is that something like this would have a very small knowledge circle, this isn't going to be some random guy, this is going to be someone who could reasonably be in the know. But that's not the worst of it."
"Then what is?" Michael asked
"This." Saki said, she handed over a piece of paper "I swear lying is like the national past time of Rokkenjima."
"And I was really looking forward to a quiet family Christmas." Michael said "All right I'm calling the Speaker and then I'm making a statement in the Chamber."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »
Another Meeting

Consul Michael Williams, was once again not in the best of moods, he just couldn't fathom what made anyone believe that it was in the modern age acceptable to pursue a policy that was self harming to a country and its people. He stepped into the cabinet meeting room of Cerulean House, the official residence of the Consul, to find the cabinet assembled and waiting for their meeting. They had a lot they needed to get through. Michael took his seat at the head of the table, collecting his thoughts before beginning the business of the meeting.

"Ok we've got a lot to get through so let's get straight into it." Michael said "Who would like to speculate as to how it is possible that when presented with what amounts effectively to an open goal, three separate nations can each put the ball wide or over the bar?"
"Because the three nations in question are all from Midaranye?" Lizbeth Stewart, the Minister of Home Affairs, said "Anyone told the Pharaoh that she should perhaps tell Tamora to apply the 'not a problem to be solved' line to Safraen yet?"
"King Heydar's statement reads like a child who's written an exam answer but hasn't read the question." Siobhan Williams, Michael's wife and the Minister of Argiculture and the Environment said "It has little comparative accuracy with the country information of Waddan."
"Richard?" Michael asked looking at the Minister of Foreign Affairs Richard Chambers
"Thirty years ago maybe I'd agree with the three Midaranye states on this." Richard said "But this is 2020, the technology that would take all the concerns about water out of the equation exists, there are nations on Mundus that have developed it and evolved it, the scientific foundation of our concern is sound and there is no state that could ever say that it is in their interests to lose it's own citizens when there are steps that can be taken to avoid it."
"If Midaranye want to play the culture card we'll play the circumstantial card." Michael said "Ok what's next?"

"Safraen." Kathryn Deed, the Minister of Science and Technology, said "Making a move towards a green based economy and will have issues. I'd like to suggest inviting President Dretsyj and Minister Moreski here for talks about how we might assist their development."
"I agree." Minister of Defence Adam Sheppard said "We didn't assist Safraen in dealing with two virus outbreaks and one civil war in effect to let them struggle now."
"Make the invitation." Michael said "Worst they can do is say no. Adam you're up."

Adam took a moment and checked his notes before speaking.
"We're ready to outline the 2022 plan." Adam said, he passed copies of the draft document around the table "In coordination with our local allies this marks a huge step towards native responsibility over the Great Northern Ocean becoming the norm."
"In combination with the Northern Ocean Summit" Cheryl Holmes said "We've been working on this for three years and the potential benefits for everyone concerned are obvious."
"Adam this has been signed off on?" Rhian Kennedy the Vice Consul said
"Yes." Adam said
"Cheryl you think the Emperor will get what he wants from the Summit?" Michael asked
"I think he'll get most of it if not all." Cheryl said "I suspect he'll get the important stuff."
"Good." Michael said "Next?"