Author Topic: A Run on the Banks  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Medusalin
A Run on the Banks
« on: September 25, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »

To His Majesty King David III of East Moreland (OOC-If anyone else wishes to attend they may assume a similar letter was sent to them)

I read with some interest that you have a keen interest in history and have several times shown a desire to witness traditional cultural events in person. With this being the case I would like to extend to you an invitation to an annual event here in my nation known as the "Cleaning of the Banks Ritual". Each year in in September we undertake a ceremony where the old stone boxes used as a form of commerce drop box in the time we were a leper colony are cleaned and thanks given for our nations survival during those difficult times. The ritual involves nobles taking responsibility for ensuring the maintainence of these boxes on points around our coast and a ritualistic cleaning of them. Following this communities come together and enjoy a traditional fish supper together while celebrating the day.

If you would like to visit I would be honored if you would join my family aboard the nations flagship FGS Bayer as we journey to three large Vinegar Banks outside the capital of Haven.

I am hopeful that you accept this request.

With Deepest Respects

Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth IV

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: A Run on the Banks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 08:16:38 PM »

Dear Queen Elisabeth

You are correctly informed that I enjoy witnessing the cultures and traditions of many nations across Mundus. I have heard that your annual ceremony is one that fully embraces your past and it would be a great honour to experience it as your guest. I therefore look forward to meeting you at the ceremony and hope to learn a great deal about your nations rather intriguing past.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 11:31:59 PM »
Queen Elisabeth,

While I admit, I am not entirely familiar with the culture of your nation, having never been nor met, save perhaps for the occasional diplomat or your ambassador to the Empire of Daitō, I am more than eager to change that unfortunate issue. It is my sincere hope that this will be a pleasant experience, and moreover I look forwards to meeting you.

May the kami give you good health and long life,

Emperor Eijirō of Daitō.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 03:47:36 PM »
To her Majesty, Queen Elisabeth IV of Medusalin.

The Elder senate and the Imperial family have received your invitation, sadly due to scheduling issues the Imperial Family can not attend in Person. We would, if you so admit, send a member of the Elder Senate, High Priestess Saskia Hohenrod, to your Festival. Elder Hohenrod has shown some personal interest in this historic Event and thus has been Chosen as our representative.

Speaking for the Elder Senate and the Empire,

Matilda Eidmeier

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 10:47:55 PM »
Sitting some 200 meters off the coast of the city of Haven is Throne Castle a small fort that sits a short row boat ride from a huge stone container built on a sandbank. The "Royal Vinegar Bank" is the largest in the Kingdom and back at a time when the nation was a Leper colony served as one of hundreds, if not thousands, of drop boxes around the coast. Today it would be the final one to receive its annual clean but first there was the need to welcome the first foreign guests to the festival since perhaps the boxes had served their initial purpose. The journey would be rather straight forward, aircraft could land at Haven International Airport, it ran parallel to the coast some kilometers outside the capital on the Eastern coast of the island. The coast was so close by that a small terminal had been built in the 1980's to allow pre-approved visitors such as those expected today, to leave the airport by boat. Today the FGS Bayer, the small nations flagship sat at the end of a short pier waiting the guests arrival. Back on the island castle Queen Elisabeth sat on the roof terrace peering at the Bayer through her telescope as a variety of boats began gathering around the Isle, various nobles and well to do citizens keen to take part in the royal celebrations. Further down the coast you could see other small boats amassing, the cities own floatilla where each small group of boats would be assigned a handful of the old ancient dropboxes to clean. The fient hum of music already reached the Palace.

Onboard the Bayer, Crown Prince Theodor sat on the small rear deck where the entry ramp was located. He was dressed in a smart white linen suit and sat with Admiral Johannes Heim, the ships captain, enjoying a freshly brewed coffee. A square table had been set up to allow the guests to have refreshments before making their way over to the Throne Castle to meet his mother. The young man was releaved his mother was over her recent illness and now, for what he hoped was a long time, he bore no real responsibilities. Infact he was now at a loss of what he would do with his time. He had considered rejoining the military or going to University but neither of those were really what he dreamed of. He'd served 18 months in the Navy as he felt he had to and he was bright but not an academic. For now he was content to just relax a bit after having been regent for around a year. He sipped his coffee happy to be in the company of the Admiral as they looked forward to what was a day of fun and celebration. A small radio sat on the table as the Admiral listened to the Air Traffic Control tower and his own ship chatting back and forth about various movements. It transpired the first aircraft was incoming. From the ship Theodor watched it land and come to a halt, he could see in the distance figures in the white uniform of the Navy greet the guests however the sound of the airport drowned out the band playing the national anthems. He tried to imagine the Minister of Foreign Affairs making small talk as he showed the guest to a waiting car, the trip may only be a few hundred meters but it wasn't the polite thing to do to make your guest hike off an airfield. The Admiral peered through binoculars and confirmed the identity of the guests long before the car arrived at the foot of the ramp. The ever efficient Admiral had already had his men smarten the table up, lose the radio and get the guard detail out. The Prince positioned himself at the top and the guards hurriedly made an honour guard. The Admiral waited by the car door for a young seaman to open up and then snapped a salute to the guest. "Welcome to Medusalin. If you follow me I'd be honoured" He turned and smartly walked up the walkway until they reached the top where he introduced the Prince to the arrival.

"Its wonderful to meet you. My mother is so excited you have agreed to come celebrate with us." He extended a polite hand, "For now we must wait for a few others, hopefully you'll know some of them. Then the Admiral here will ferry us over to the castle there and we can begin the real purpose of the day. Can I offer you coffee?" The Prince picked up the still steaming pot and set up a pretty white tea cup on a saucer with a pretty pale blue edge ringed in gold.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 11:04:29 PM »
David suspected that unless Valen turned up he'd be the person making the shortest trip. With that in mind he'd told the Air-Force to brush off the old Ironside One. He was fond of the old girl and while it still got the odd internal flight across East Moreland it was good to see her stretch her legs so to speak. With him was Queen Stasya and with the invite speaking of culture he'd brough along Henrietta Quinn. While she may now be his Prime Minister the King and his then Minister of Culture had penned the Cultural Exchange Treaty Organisation original draft and this was still one of David's proudest achievements. He knew Henrietta would appreciate such an event as this.

After the flight touched down David exited the aircraft, saluted the band playing the national anthem and then when his wife and Prime Minister joined him greeted the Medusian Foreign Minister. He would have been happy to walk but understood his hosts likely had their reasons for the shortest car trip he could remember taking. Once at the bottom of the walkway he offered a supporting arm to Stasya who well accustomed to boarding ships, usually super yachts, had removed her strappy heels and slipped on some flat plimsol like shoes. Henrietta meanwhile was far more sensible and had always worn flats, she had no idea how Stasya could manage those towering heels and not have painful ankles. At the top the King accepted Theodor's handshake. "Thank you for the reception, may I introduce my wife Stasya and my Prime Minister Henrietta. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, our library at Northfort Palace lacks any real details but rest assured I'll sort that out" he smiled fully intending to find something to ensure this nations history was represented in his pride and joy. "I trust your mother's feeling better?" The King enquired as he watched the Prince pour three cups of coffee. "I'm sorry we never had a chance to talk during your regency. Our two nations have a lot to talk about and I have many questions about your Kingdom so I apologise if I ask too many."

"We're all looking forward to your day" Stasya said sensing David was about to bombard the young Crown Prince. "Could I trouble you for some cream?" She asked hoping to give the man a chance to greet whoever was next.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 12:31:12 AM »
This was likely to be one of the weirder arrivals that this airport had ever seen as the Blue Vixen, technically the Achkaerinese Royal Yacht, but it was an ekranoyacht touched down on the runway, the second time it had done this particular trick, the first being on Castries, it was becoming more common to see the Blue Vixen than it was to see Fox One. This was down significantly to Serenity and her personal preference, plus she was qualified to fly the thing which made family holidays with her daughters a lot easier. Stepping off the craft she and her companions went through the formalities, the band played a very good rendition of the national anthem, greeting the welcoming committee before taking the short car journey. Normally Serenity would have looked at the distance and given her Mundus Games pedigree have fancied her chances of sprinting it but today it was helpful to have the car there, and it was understandable, she'd done her fair share of organising events she knew the reasoning that went into such things.

When they got to the ship Serenity made her way up the ramp first, straightening out her top as she did so, spotting David and Stasya she mentally smiled - Morelander punctuality was a great thing, especially when it was something you were counting on. She waited until Theodor was free before approaching "It's good to meet you." she said shaking his hand and smiling "I'm really looking forward to this." she took a moment before grinning slightly "You also piqued the interest of my family's history nerd." at this point the sound of brass on the wood punctuated the air as the rest of the Achkaerinese group came up onto the deck "May I introduce you to my father Peter and my stepmother Renee"

"Great to meet you Prince Theodor." Peter said he had his walking cane, part of his recovery in one hand while Renee was supporting him from the other side, he handed his  wife the cane for a moment to shake the Prince's hand, before Renee did the same after giving Peter back his cane "I apologise in advance if I seem somewhat distracted at any point this is my first major trip after nine months in the hospital, I understand your mother is also in the same metaphorical boat as me, I hope she's feeling better." picking up a freshly poured cup of tea the former Emperor half smiled as he took a sip, how he'd missed this.

Offline Valen

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Valen2023
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 09:24:16 AM »
"Festivals are a young man's game" King Willem IV had informed the Privy Council when the invitation from their ethnic cousins Medusalin arrived. "Beside I've had the pleasure of visiting a time or two in my younger days" he added with a smile betraying several good times he'd enjoyed there. "I think it important we officially attend but I think Charlotte should go" he gestured to the younger Crown Princess who sat at the opposite end of the table. The 23 year old Princess would one day become Queen despite coming from a different family bloodline but Willem knew the importance of ensuring the heir was well prepared for her duties. At the age of 90 he knew that it would be sooner rather than later that she took over and he longed to see the Realm in safe hands.

"If you're sure" Charlotte replied. She didn't think she was quiet ready for the throne yet but was happy in her role as the nations Minister of the Arts and so was delighted to attend. Unlike Willem she had never attended this festival but knew that each year several Valenites would go and attend, mainly with their boats to enjoy the celebrations.

As the date neared Charlotte had opted to take the Royal Yacht for an overnight trip to the island. Many centuries ago this trip was made by her country folk to either become effective prisoners on the island of Lepers or to fill one of the vinegar banks with goods in return for a share of the vast mineral wealth of Medusalin's mines. Today though it was straight to the airport dockside where she spotted several people already arriving. She waited for the Naval staff to complete the docking and then as was traditional presented each of those who paraded for her departure with a single gold coin, on one side the emblem of the bull, a national symbol, and on the reverse the Wijdnal Crown. Around the edges were embossed the words, "Duty Done, Reward Won". It was a challenge coin, a tradition among the military of Valen that were presented for a job well done and many military members actively traded them. She knew some of the men would already posses one from the Wijdnal family and no doubt soon they'd be trying to swap it with someone to increase the size of their collection. Still that wasn't her worry she had at least been seen to do the right thing. She exited one gangway to board another and seeing CrownPrince Theodor she smiled. "Theo its nice to see you again" she said as she skipped the handshake and hugged him. The two nations of Valen and Medusalin were kin in many ways and that had extended to the royal families and while Theodor was not a close friend she was still happy to see him. "I'm glad Old Bill has let me come, its been a long time since I've seen you, two years?" She suggested as she accepted the coffee and then introduced herself to the others in attendance.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 03:29:24 PM »
It had been a little bit of a roundabout trip for Saskia. No one in the Empire had been able to ensure that there's an adequate Airfield on the Island to land an Airship most Nations would call antiquated. The trip for the High priestess thus first took her to East Moreland, where they seemingly had gotten not only used to the quirky travel, but equally built some of their own. From there it had been an enjoyable trip along the shore in a medium sized sail vessel. The internet had made these long trips far more feasible for an acting politician and high priest, her last Sermon having been given from the bow of her vessel to her audience via live stream. Unlike many of her age she had mostly kept up to date with media technology, only the recent trend to super short videos annoyed her to a certain degree.

Saskia, being the high priestess of Death, had a somewhat morbid sense of Humor. The Ship getting tucked into the Harbor, several fog machines started shrouding the deck in a thick mist. The Senator soon walked off the gangway clad in a midnight black silk cloak, holding an iron lamp ahead of herself. Right behind her, six acolytes followed, each holding a candle in one hand, carrying what seemed a lot like a casket behind them. That is, until the artificial fog lifted, revealing three separate large boxes labelled Holy Sacrament and a illustration a grape next to it.

The giggity granny death then skipped up to the Bayer, making sure her acolytes deposited the boxes out of the walkway before scurrying away and out of sight. She pulled up her hood and quickly fixed her hair, before being led to the prince, the cloak flowing more openly revealing the purple Elder Senate Toga and a black tunic underneath.

"Your Highness, I'll have to once again apologize that you'll only get to deal with this sorry old Grandma today. I am Elder Saskia Hohenrod. The Imperial Family's schedule is somewhat tight around now, and us elder Senators have decided against sending children to such a culturally important event."

With her thumb pointing over her shoulders and towards the three boxes:

"I hope this little apology from the Cult of Death is acceptable. These come from a  a Hospice Fundation for the sick and dying that has funded itself through a series of Vineyards in times before social security, and still maintain charity projects to this day. As their high Priestess i thought it fits the theme of your celebration."

Taking up on the offered coffee, Saskia made her way to the other guests, giving them all a nod and in a cheerful voice looked around:

"Seems I'm currently the oldest one today. Should have sent one of the children after all." she joked at those present, slurping her first cup of coffee before quickly walking up to Serenity:

"That reminds me, excuse me for intruding your Highness. The Regent did send this along to hand over to you directly should you attend. Don't ask me why he's not simply calling, but he tends to overcomplicate matters all the time."

The Postcard has all the nine Nephews and Nieces of Orion, at least those still living in the Palace, posing in front of an ancient Noniam relief. A Relief of a Wolf breastfeeding two young toddlers. The Card is signed by Albrecht von Uburzis, with nothing else on it.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 09:38:37 PM »

United States slows as she makes her approach.

Whilst the Tour of Good Will had not officially kicked off, the United States sat ready and waiting for her. Although she could have utilized the Imperial Ryūsei the opportunity to get more acquainted with what would essentially be her home for the next few weeks was one she was eager to take. Following discussions of the Empire with officials who were traveling with her for the duration of the Tour she took some time to explore the ship alongside Thomas. While he wouldn't be joining her ashore, the Imperial Liaison for Foreign Affairs (Gregory McKenna) would be at her side, and she was confident Thomas would have few reasons to find boredom whilst aboard the ship. As they said their goodbyes the Empress followed the path of the guests before her; following the unpleasant note her recent visit to Lakhzovia ended upon she had been looking forward to this.

Seeing some familiar faces was expected yet always seemed to be reassuring nonetheless. "Prince Theodor," the Empress said with a nod and a smile, "it is a pleasure to meet you, and also to hopefully rectify our lack of conversancy, I know that Mr. McKenna and I have been looking forward to joining you here today. It'll be good to make up for lost time and become better acquainted, and of course enjoy the day before us." She took a moment to catch Peter's attention, even if briefly, "and it's good to see you up and about, too."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 10:53:49 PM »
   Four hours and thirty three minutes, Suzaku One had been in the air since departing Tachikawa Air Force Base, not far from Shinkyo. It had been a most pleasant flight, fairly short given the distance, owing to the sheer speed of the aircraft. Mach 2.97, more than thirty-five hundred kilometers per hour, and the only aircraft befitting the current situation. It was, after all, Eijiro's first visit to the island kingdom of Medusalin, and if nothing else, then it would speak to the wealth of his dearest homeland, that someone of his station would be capable of flying on a supersonic liner such as it. Yet when the aircraft, its wings outstretched on final approach, came to a stop, he could not help but feel a twinge of hesitation in his gut. It was something he had always felt, coming to a new country for the first time; not a fear of the unknown, no, but rather an uncertainty as to whether he could adequately represent Daito on the world's stage. It was certainly different from his youth, back when he was still serving, but then, it wasn't as though he had the eyes of the world upon him. Not in the same way.

Sometimes, he wish his father hadn't stepped down.

Make no mistake, he was more than willing to take up the throne, to rule, but when his father's decision was made, all those years ago, he felt as though he wasn't ready. It was part of why he hadn't been active in diplomacy for those first few years—that and the influence of Sachio Heike over the court—yet now, a year on since the restoration, he needed to put himself forward as an example to his people and to the world, but also to himself. As he straightened his collar, he took a deep breath before stepping away from the mirror and out of his quarters. Then, joined by Mayumi, he stepped out of the aircraft and onto the stair-car, standing at attention and offering a salute as the band played first the Daitojin and then the Medusalinese anthems, after which they would descend and exchange pleasantries. From there, they would make their way towards the pier and, by extension, the Bayer, where they'd greet the Crown Prince.
   "On behalf of the Empire of Daito, I would like to extend our gratitude for the invitation." Eijiro said with a nod and a handshake. "Of course, I couldn't forget," He said, motioning to Mayumi and the rest of the delegation. "My wife, Mayumi, and the honorable Captain Natsuki Uematsu, my..." He struggled to put it into words, as there was, to his knowledge anyways, real way to properly describe his duties. "...We'll just call him my Aide or Valet, whichever you wish. Either way, I trust that your mother's condition is improving?" He asked with a knowing look; he understood what Theodor was going through, as his father had suffered from GBS himself. It wasn't easy, but what more could be said?

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 10:49:22 PM »
Crown Prince Theodor had been warned to expect the Morelanders first. They may be practically neighbours but Theodor had never been to East Moreland and seeing plane after plane land it made him think of how much of Mundus he had yet to explore. As he poured the first of what was to become several coffees he spoke to the King of East Moreland. "My mothers doing very well thanks. I think she's more excited about today than anyone." He picked up the serving jug with cream in and offered it towards Stasya's cup and poured slowly until she indicated that there was sufficient. "As for your library I'd be more than happy to help you fill it." He handed the pair their saucers and cups.

As the delgeation from Achkaerin arrived Theodor was surprised to see Peter here. "We're honoured you've managed to attend." He said addressing what he assumed was the former Emperor. "I know mother will be as delighted to see you overcoming your illness as she was with her own victory. I hope you're feeling well." He extended a hand before handing over more cups and saucers. Having ensured they'd been free to mingle with the Morelanders it was the turn of someone he knew well.

Theodor had been rather formal with the Morelander King and Achkaerin Empress however now it was time to greet a friend. He enjoyed the warm embrace of Crown Princess Charlotte and spoke as they let go of each other. "I'm glad he's let you come. I've missed you." He didn't ask how she wanted her coffee, he'd seen her drink it that often he just simply made it. "I hope you'll be staying a few days. We need a catch up." He then watched her head off and say hello to the others.

The arrival of a "Death Cult" was rather an odd choice to send to a festival that was in a way celebrating the victory of life over a disease. Theodor was a little taken aback by the theatrics and was a little at a loss of how to react. "T..t...thank you for the kind gift" he stammered still mentally trying to work out exactly how he should respond. He began making her a coffee while he tried to figure out exactly what was in the boxes, it took him a moment but at least the gift was fitting for a celebratory festival. "I'm sure the wine will be a welcome addition to today but there was no need." He said as he handed the beverage across "Just having guests from across Mundus is all we needed but I hope you enjoy your time here and your Imperial Family are invited any time they wish." He was relieved the strange old woman made her way towards the Achkaerin delegeation and so he could turn to the next arrival.

Thankfully the arrival of Empress of Rokkenjima was more routine. He thanked her for attending and ensured she and McKenna were well equipped with china cups of coffee on pretty saucers. Finally it was the turn of Emperor Eijiro and his entourage. "Its an honour to meet you Empress" he bowed slightly to Mayumi before smartly sahking the Aide/Valets hand. "Mother is doing well, I think being on the sidelines have made her bored and she is looking forward to today basically being a come back tour." Everyone was now ready to go and with a toot of a whistle followed seconds later by the sounding of the ships horn sent the ship into a frenzy of activity. While the group sat and socialised on what was effectively the flagships landing pad  Admiral Johannes Heim returned with a group of seaman carrying chairs.

"Your Majesties, Highnesses and honoured guests" The Admiral began. "It was take us about half an hour to get going and get to the Throne Castle. You are of course more than welcome to sit and enjoy the morning sunshine with His Highness Prince Theodor or if anyone has a mind I can show you around the Bayer." Those wishing for the tour left with the Admiral pleased that he had a chance to show of his boat. It was not as grand as the flagships each of those nations here had but he was proud at how well run his corvette was. They went into the bridge and from there the galley where chefs were busy preparing various dishes for the day. Then down to engine rooms, across to the maintainence hanger and then back up to the front of the ship where three great big buckets, big enough to put a man inside were being filled with a combination of sea water, vinegar and food dye. "The crew will be needing those later" he did not explain but knowing the ship was now close to the Palace returned to the landing pad. There Theodor had been given people a quick run down of what to expect.

"The day began being celebrated as a festival in the 1700's. As trading had become more effective and while not yet fully understood the dangers of lepresey had declined the day stopped being one that was needed to one that was a celebration of another year of defeating death." He looked nervously at Saskia then continued. "Luckily for us our good friends from Valen had been our most reliable supply of food and goods during those years the disease stalked out island and we basically became a dumping ground, mainly for Alba Karinya. The traders of Valen had one condition to trading with us, that once a year on this date the vinegar boxes be given a "damn good clean" according to a verbal agreement between King Robert IV and a Valen trader.....who may have been more like a pirate." he shrugged his shoulders. "So every year the people would rather than just put tiny amounts of vinegar into the boxes and leave coins in it they would take vats of vinegar, fill them to the brim and using salt and heavy duty brooms give them a good scrub. They would then leave them filled with a mixture of vinegar and cloth dye in the hope it would show they'd done the deep clean. Today thats kind of re-enacted." Theodor explained.

"And now we must be busy" a voice called from behind, it was Queen Elisabeth IV being accompanied by Princess Constance. Both were dressed not exactly for a day of meeting VIPs from across Mundus. Both wore what looked like a military flying suit in grey with their names sewn on the breast pocket flap. "I hope my son has explained that today can get a little messy. For those who want to get a little , how shall I say, hands on we have overalls for you, those who just wish to observe then that's fine too. Anyone wishing to change we have rooms in the Palace" the Queen went around and introduced herself to everyone as they made their way to the Palace down the walkway. "The tide is nearly perfect" The Queen said excitedly as those wishing to change re-appeared in their grey all in one with their names tagged. Theodor had himself got changed and now lead the way down towards a fleet of small rowing boats. "Anyone who is feeling energised after coffee may wish to take an oar. Anyone not in overalls I suggest you take the trip in the motor boat." A pair of large wooden boats capable of around ten people sitting either side of a fixed table. "Everyone set?" She asked before taking to the rudder of one of the rowing boats.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 10:56:00 PM by Medusalin »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 11:06:49 PM »
On the Bayer all the Morelanders stayed with the Prince, David and Henrietta because they wanted to hear about the festival, Stasya because frankly if you've seen one warship you'd seen them all. David sat quietly for a moment as the Prince explained the story of the festivals origins. "I have to say Prince Theodor the fact my countryman used to dump our lepers here is something I'm sad about but I suppose without the science and medical advancements we have people probably felt they had no choice. May I ask what happened when people like the infected Morelanders arrived? Where they put into communities or just left to fend for themselves. Did they maintain their culture or did it dilute and merge with your own. I've a lot of questions." he smiled before realising he may be monopolising the Prince's time and so contented himself to just listen to the conversation with others.

As the Queen arrived Stasya was rather disappointed. This was Elisabeth's first oppurtunity to meet many nobles from around the world and she did so looking like some frumpy naval officer. Grey? Who chooses grey, it was such a draining colour. It took the Morelanders next to no time to make their minds up. Despite his former back wound David was not going to miss up a chance to have a row and get involved directly with history. He happily went off and changed as did Henrietta. Meanwhile Stasya, fearful of damaging a nail or even worse being snapped by the press wearing what could best be described as a drab potato sack contented herself to the motor boat. David did his best to persuade Stasya to come with him but she simply suggested someone from East Moreland should go on the motor boats incase other nations didn't join the rowing. She kissed David goodbye while he excitedly made his way to the boat and even found himself doing a few quick stretches keen to get into action.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 02:37:58 PM »
The high priestess hadn't exactly waited for a reply from Serenity before she was back for the history lesson with the Prince. Saskia listened carefully, going so far as to tune up her hearing aid. She was here to get some hands on experience with a foreign culture, not to listen to another admiral blab on endlessly about their boats. Matilda was more than enough to cover that topic for three people.

Seeing the young mans discomfort when speaking about defeating death in her presence, the old crone had to force herself hold back a small giggle. She waited to approach him before they disembarked to the palace:

"Ah, young Man. No need to fret over me. Unlike what our name suggests, the Cult of Death is one of the most down to Earth Priesthoods of our many facetted Faith. I know hearing the name many believe we are some fetish club with blood rituals and secret sacrificing. Most of our members are from Occupations where you simply are around Death and dying a lot. Hospice Staff, Paramedics, Firefighters, Pathologists or in my case a Mortician. You could say we're the Cult of have seen too much, excuse my language, shit. We don't celebrate as much as accept Death as part of Life, and help those who are left behind or those who have to face it."

Saskia got herself dressed into one of the overalls inside the Palace, before making her way to the rowboat:

"Not a chance i will let a little old bones get in the way of experience such a Nation defining Festival." she announces to those within earshot, a little too loud before retuning her hearing aids:

"Alright, get me one of those Oars! Let's do it like Charon and set you all safely over to the other side!" as she gives David a thumbs up, too: "Surprised your Wife doesn't join you. A Dress colored in lots of Food dye and then Auctioned off for Charity as modern art seems to be her kind of style."

She is, again, way too loud almost screaming over at David. Though he might get the feeling this time was somewhat a little on purpose.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 04:28:26 PM »
Serenity didn't need to do anything about the postcard, at least not yet, it was a massive overreach and easily palmed off as an absurd conspiracy theory and she seriously doubted that anyone in Neu Uburzis was stupid enough to embarrass themselves to the extent where this would become an issue. She spent the voyage looking out over the water while Peter being a former captain in the Achkaerinese navy quite eagerly took the opportunity to have a tour of the Bayer and would very likely spend the next hour engaged in conversation with the admiral, the two sea dogs so to speak would probably get on like a house on fire. Serenity listened carefully as Prince Theodor went through the history of the day and found herself once more appreciating just how intricate and wondrous the tapestry of Mundus's history and culture was.

When it became obvious there was going to be the opportunity to row Renee bit her lip a little because she knew what was coming and she knew there was nothing she could do about it, sighing she glanced at Peter "Go on I know you want to." she said "But I'm not explaining to Maddy if you do yourself another mischief." Peter gave her a quick kiss and went off to change, Serenity not far behind. Once changed into the overalls the former Emperor and the current Empress made their way down to the rowboat. Peter started stretching next to David, the last time the pair of them had done something along these lines it had been the 'beer bike' at David's stag do and that was some years ago now and many things had happened since then. Between David's back, Serenity's left leg and his own right arm Peter wasn't sure  how well this would go but he'd certainly enjoy the fun of it.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 10:25:46 PM »
   Eijirō, for his part, had joined the group touring the vessel; it was certainly to be expected, given he had served in his nation's navy of course, but also because at the end of the day, while aviation was his passion, he still loved himself a good ship. He had many questions—nothing which could get him into trouble, of course—about the vessel, but also about Admiral Heim's career. It was quite the small ship, he'd silently admit, but that was not an issue; sure, he may have served on flattops, but the vessel here was hardly "small", being just thirty meters shorter than some of the frigates that used to escort Jun'yō back in the day... Okay, and maybe now, as well. It hadn't been more than six years since he'd last been aboard, after all, and he did bother to read the reports, especially nowadays. Eventually though, as the Bayer arrived at its destination, the tour would conclude, he would join his wife in greeting Queen Elizabeth, after which they'd briefly engage in conversation, Captain Uematsu not too far away.
   "You're going to go with them, aren't you?" Mayumi asked, her question merely rhetorical as she knew the answer already.
   "Oh, you know me, never one to pass up an opportunity to hit the waves." Eijirō said in jest. "But honestly, I dunno, I... Well, it only seems fair that I take part. Show respect to their customs, y'know?"
   "I suppose so..." Mayumi replied, glancing out over the water. "Y'know, I've been to more countries than I can count, same as you, but I don't think I've ever had to clean a stone box full of vinegar."
   "Eh, first time for everything, no?" Eijirō smiled. "How about you tag along. I'm sure Natsuki won't mind."
   "Your Majesty, I do prote-" Natsuki tried to but in before being silenced by Eijirō raising a finger.
   "You know what? Sure, lets do it." Mayumi replied.

A few minutes would pass, during which time the two would get changed into the overalls before making their way down to the rowboats. Eijirō briefly glanced at both Peter and David, exchanging a nod before he and Mayumi would start getting ready. They'd have more than enough time to talk once in the water, or if not, then afterwards. Now, however, was a time to concentrate.

Offline Valen

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 01:15:17 AM »
There was no way you were getting Charlotte to miss out on a moment of the festival. Several of her friends had visited and while they had not had the honour of being with the Medusalin royal family for the festival they'd said how much fun they'd had. As a result she checked with Theodor what he was planning on doing and determined she'd do the same. Obviously the local Crown Prince was heading out on a rowing boat. She made her way to get changed and carefully folded her outfit before returning to the deck. "Sadly Theo you've failed miserably" She said giving a twirl. "You know grey is not a colour a girl finds flattering, what's wrong with a nice pale blue, or at a push a a spot of pink" She stayed close to her friend as the others gathered, she watched as the three royal men did stretches, she meanwhile was not going to do so. Instead she just bumped hips with Theo "Share an oar with me?" she questioned.

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2023, 08:09:19 PM »
With everyone now suitably attired or else safely seated on the vessel that would follow them it was time to make their way out towards the stone box around 300 meters away from the castle's quayside. With just Stasya and Renee taking the motor boat it would be left to one of the cousins of the royal family, Katarina Princele to look after the non-rowers. She was a very small 18 year old cousin who had just recently started at University studying. She was a skinny girl dressed in a naval cadets dark blue trousers with blue wool pullover showing the name of her training ship "The Pup" on its left breast. Katarina was a member of the University Naval Cadet Corps (UNCC) a kind of informal military reserve made up of University students who were considering a career in the forces. "If your majesties wouldn't mind fastening the straps on your seats, if something does happen there are lifevests under the seats" Katarina pointed out before running through a few last minute checks. A pair of naval stewards brought the guests some glasses of wine while Katarina radioed that they were all set to go. "Roger that command" Katarina gave a thumbs up to those on the quayside who cast the ropes off and with a burst of acceleration she took the motor boat out on a wide arc away from the direct line between the rowers and the stone box in hopes of not making the wake a problem for their row. By now a host of other smaller boats were beginning to gather by the box and with some guidance from the marshalls who were ensuring the boats gathering for the ceremony were arranged securely. Katarina waved at some of her friends from the nobility there on private sailing boats and yachts many with decks crowded ready for the festivities later in the day. Katarina dropped the small boats anchor and then joined the two royals. "If you're too cold I can get you a fleece." She rummaged under the seat and found a bag with a grey fleece from the navy. The day was still warm but now out to sea a little the wind was beginning to bite a little. "If you want to join in when they get here we can" the young girl was getting more excited as in the distance they could see the rowing boats approaching. A sound drifted on the wind as they got closer it was possible to hear a song

"Oh, I bid farewell to the port and the land
And I paddle away from our islands white sands
To search for my long ago forgotten friends
To search for the place I hear all sailors end
As the souls of the dead fill the space of my mind
I'll search without sleeping 'till peace I can find
I fear not the weather, I fear not the sea
I remember the fallen, do they think of me?
When their bones in the ocean forever will be"

The visitors found themselves in two large whaleboatswith the seats not taken by the guests taken by large strapping young men from the Navy. At the head of each was a young girl dressed in white long dresses which it was clear they had a wetsuit on underneath. As soon as the groups had begun pulling on the oars the naval rowers had begun the traditional song. Theo sat next to Charlotte pulling on an oar as they travelled. Queen Elisabeth between strokes did her best to hold a conversation with her boat but between being out of breath and the singing it proved to be exceptionally difficult. Soon though they arrived alongside the stone container.

The Vinegar bank was a good two meters square and around a meter deep. It sat on a rock which was just about visible at the high tide. Expertly two of the navy secured the ships and ensured they were lashed next to each other with the motor boat in the middle. "Now we begin" Elisabeth announced standing rather unsteadily and making her way to stand on the bow of the ship. She was passed a microphone by Katarina who turned on her boats PA system. "People of Medusalin and our honoured guests" she began still slightly out of breath. "It is that time of year where we as a nation remember our ancestors and the tribulations that they went through. We remember those who were once imprisoned on this island because of fear and a lack of knowledge and pledge ourselves to never succumb to the same. We give thanks for the wise people who discovered a cure for the afflicted and give thanks for all doctors working today. We give thanks to those from far away who, for whatever reason, aided those on the island. We thank the Gods for giving us our freedom and we thank the Gods for allowing us to survive the hardships mankind inflicted on the island. Today we have a fresh start and we must all make the most of that. I today have made the most of it by inviting new friends to our day and I hope they will now join me in washing away the ills of the past." Rather unceremoniously a naval rating passed her a broom and several large bottles of pre-mixed solution were brought up. With a cheer the navy, with some help from the willing guests began pouring the solution of vinegar and water into the stone box. Elisabeth, Theo and Constance had brooms and stood on the edges of the little rock were scrubbing away at the outside the waves gently lapping up to their knees. Brooms were brought forward for the guests if they wanted to try it and once the box was full they began scrubbing the insides. In days of old it was believed this would kill the infection and make items safe for the uninfected to handle when they left supplies for those doomed to die on the island. Theo nearly slipped a time or two having opted to stand behind his mother unsure of her footing after she'd recovered from the illness she'd had. Now the box had been scrubbed and the liquid was ready to be drained.

Theo now addressed the crowd. "As we release the filth of the last year from the box let us all pray that the Gods will do the same for us." With that he used a hammer to break a seal at the bottom of the box on each side, soon the level of the liquid was decreasing a before long the box was as empty as it could be." Now the two girls in white dresses stepped forward and were helped clamber into the box itself there they stood, arms outstretched and silently mouthed a prayer or two before taking a knife from their belt and trimming their long blonde hair short leaving the hair in the box. "They're priestesses who have graduated today from the College of the Three, virgins too," he added but immediately felt awkward having added that cultural gem, "All priestesses cut their hair once they graduate, male priests must not shave from when they enter the College but once they graduate they must shave off their beard." He had no idea why women had been selected to be the ones to carry out this ceremony and figured he should probably find out." The two girls hair now shoddily chopped short they left the golden strands in the box, payment to the Gods, and then clambered back into the boats rather damper than previously. Once secure in the boat there were gifts left by each of the royals, small tokens, nothing more than coins or in Elisabeth's case a small silver ring. Then new seals were put in place and the trio of VIP boats made there way back towards shore but not fully. Now the royals were clear several smaller boats emerged from the packs of gathered yachts and sailing boats as some wished to leave gifts of their own for the bank. More music could be heard now, but rather than a naval tune this was music you'd be more likely to hear in a trendy modern nightclub. The boats returned to the castle where a series of butlers were waiting with towels and glasses of steaming blackcurrent cordial, the Queens favourite warmer up after a trip to sea.

"We have a few minutes before we begin our real celebration, and of course fish and chips" Elisabeth announced, "Anyone wishing to get out of their new uniform is more than welcome." Theo began handing out the towels and checking on everyone, especially the guest from Neu Urburzis called Saskia. She may have said her "Old bones" were up for it but now back on dry land he just wanted to check. "Can we get you anything?" He asked her as he offered a towel.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2023, 05:43:59 PM »
Saskia found the whole situation a little amusing. In a sense, she represented Death cleaning away the tragedy and misery it had spread over the little Island for far too long. The granny grew solemn and stoic when she grabbed a broom, for just the ritual the happy go lucky hag was gone, replaced with the sincere high Priestess. Saskia wasn't able to scrub as hard as the younger folk, yet made up with determination and experience.

At one point though Saskia had fumbled and almost stumbled from one of the slippery stone, resulting in her having to fish for the broom and lean almost into the Bank before she regained her footing.

"Wouldn't that have been ironic, high Priestess get's drowned in cleansing Ritual made to keep Death away." she joked as she handed the Broom off and search more stable footing.

Saskia thankfully had changed back into her tunic and toga, before she took note of the Prince approaching her:

"I just hope you have some warm Tea or a good mulled wine to go with the fish and chips, admittedly it was getting a little cold in the end." she chuckled and nodded.

"Though please forgive me if i have not given a prayer myself, i feel like it would have been in poor taste considering the history of this occasion."

She then took a look at some of the pictures already getting released on social media for the event, before she she pinched her nose bridge: "Oh my."

#WitchsCauldron
#Deathbrew
#PoisonedRitual

Saskia frantically started typing away into her messenger app, before turning to Theo:

"Excuse me being a little sidetracked, I'll have to send my Influencer team into action and steer this whole situation into a better direction." as she showed him the trending tags she was mentioned in.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »
David settled into his seat and rubbed his hands as though warming them up for grabbing hold of the wooden oar. He'd never been in a Whaleboat before and the rowing was certainly different to professional rower him and Will Buckley occasionally took out on the lake or riverway leading to the Palace. The oar felt heavier and didn't glide in the same way as those lightweight sports oars. By the time they'd reached the vinegar bank island the King's back was beginning to feel a little tight and he regretted having not warmed up enough. He could feel his heart beginning to beat a little faster as they reached the island and secured his oar. As the vinegar solution was being handed up David helped pass the container along before doing his best not to fall into the sea as he took hold of his broom and began scrubbing. The mixture of vinegar and the sea was not the most pleasant of aromas but it was good to get a good close up look at the box.

"Scrub harder" Stasya urged him as she enjoyed a drink on the motorboat.

David just smiled at her and even though she was far out of the reach of the broom he heaved it towards her as though setting to brush her with it, almost over extending himself before Henrietta Quinn grabbed a sleeve "Steady there Your Majesty" she smiled as she inspected a spot where a barnacle had been growing and was now satisfied it had been obliterated. As Prince Theo spoke about leaving the evils of the past year behind the King, although he didn't share the same Gods, said prayers asking for forgiveness for the wrongs of 2023 and his hopes for 2024. With gifts being left in the box David handed his broom over and motioned for Stasya to pass a gift over. It seemed a bit of a waste but traditions were traditions and a small silver cup inscribed with the date. He showed it Theo checking it was an appropriate gift before consigning it to the sea. The row back to shore David had tried to remember the song the rowers had sung on the way out to the vinegar safe but wasn't sure he'd done an appropriate enough job. Back on dry land he had gone to embrace his wife who just backed away holding a finely manicured hand towards him. "You stink like a fish" She teased him pretending to sniff his grey overall. Although he had enjoyed witnessing the ceremony he was actually glad to be back on dry land, the Navy had never appealed to him and it was considered the least popular of the three services within the East Moreland forces. David went and changed back into one of his fine tailored suits and only then did Stasya agree to allow him to kiss her. "Did you pray for anything in 2024?" David asked her.

Stasya would have laughed, to her the notion of religion wasn't that important. She believed of course but wasn't really sure in what. She loved some of the notions of Sessifetism but knew she would have to embrace Helus in some way, the Sisterhood and its controversey appealing to her more than the maintstream version. She knew thought the closeness of her husbands faith. "Only for a little thing" she said patting her stomach a little, "girl preferably" It was of course a lie, she had no intention of having to once more return her body to its eye catching nature but she feared to keep David happy she may have to make it happen. Her words brought a smile to David's face and he was permitted to wrap his arms around her and kiss her. "I'm starving" she added as they pulled apart.

Henrietta meanwhile, freshly escaped from her sodden grey overalls, overheard Saskia and Theo talking. "After that bit of exercise and the fresh sea air I heard the words mulled wine?" She said as she approached. "If there is any going count me in"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 08:02:15 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 07:26:40 PM »
The rowing wasn't that bad for Peter and Serenity, one of the things that the Achkaerinese Naval Academy did in its first weeks of training was put cadets together in groups and have them row like this, Peter had also competed many years earlier in the Artaxia-Freshwater annual boat race for the University of Artaxia and won. However while the motions were the same the differences were even more apparent, there was large difference between rowing on an inland lake or the river in Valtheim and rowing on the Mhorish Sea. When came the time for scrubbing with the brooms both Peter and Serenity joined in, Peter making sure to use primarily his left arm as he didn't want to over exert his right, he wasn't going at a fast pace either he knew better than to risk another episode and wasn't about to bring on the stress. Serenity meanwhile was going a little bit quicker with it, however it was perhaps inevitable that at some point her left foot would factor into it and sure enough it numbed up. The ceremony itself had concepts that the Achkaerinese understood, it struck both Peter and Serenity as very like a libation something common to Achkaerinese ceremonies though those generally involved pouring something away not throwing gifts away.

The inevitable happened between the end of the ceremony at the banks and the start of the return of the journey back to the castle, Serenity lost her footing and with a rather loud and obvious splash landed in the water. Upon surfacing she looked over at where Renee had her phone out, presumably taking a picture of the moment. "One thoroughly soaked and smelly Achkaerinese Empress." Serenity muttered to herself as with the help of a couple of the navy personnel she pulled herself out of the water "Stop it." she said in reference to the look on her father's face which basically translated to the fact that he'd been laughing for a few moments, or was glad that it had been her and not him who'd ended up taking a dip.
"Euphy's going to love that picture." Renee said with a giggle

Serenity just rolled her eyes but the irony of the moment wasn't lost on her, the night she'd met Isaac she'd been at a celebration ball and ended up with someone elses drink all over her, talk about what you leave behind and going full circle.

When they hit dry land, both Peter and Serenity went to get changed, it was perhaps expected that the former Emperor wouldn't take as long on account of Serenity having been drenched, Peter returned in his clothes and a good half an hour later Serenity turned up now much more dry now.

Offline Valen

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 10:01:07 PM »
Charlotte stuck close to her friend Theo during the row. She wasn't an especially strong person in regards to upper body strength and sharing an oar with the Medusalin Prince she was content to let him put most of the effort into the rowing. She sat listening to the Queen's speech about the day as their boat bobbed in the water and then watched as the people scrubbed, stifling a chuckle when Serenity fell in. The celebration was one she'd seen regularly when she was younger, Valen and Medusalin where cousins of sort. The majority of Medusalin's people finding their bloodline would have found it leading them back to Valen. She had however brought several gifts. First there was a bottle of wine. Sending luxuries to the island had been a good earner for many of the Valentians back in the day. Next she placed some pansies, there had been the belief that their sweet smell would keep disease away. Once her objects were in the box she returned to the small boat and took up the oar once again helping row back to the castle but with one ear enjoying the music from the armada that now seemed to move towards the box. Back on land she was pleased to get a girly dress back on. She headed over to Queen Stasya and introduced herself. "Your Majesty" She began, "I'm Princess Charlotte of Valen, I just want to say I'm delighted to meet you."

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2023, 07:03:12 AM »
   It was like the old days, back when he was still a first year at Nomijima and during rowing practice. It was mandatory, of course, much like in the Achkaerinese Navy—and almost certainly most other navies across the globe—to learn it within the first few weeks after arrival on the island, but unlike the Achkaerinese, Eijirō found the activity much easier. The water was relatively calm, which, given their location in relation to the Mhorish, made for an easier voyage, at least to him. His companions, most notably Mayumi, were struggling though, which he found mildly annoying, though not worth pointing out. She could've taken one of the other boats if she'd wanted to, but she didn't, and he appreciated that. Natsuki could've at least bothered to join them, but he refused, no doubt as his own way of protesting their decision. Eventually though, they would arrive at the bank island, and he would be the first to exit their boat, nearly tripping as he stepped onto it.
   "After you." He said with a smile, offering his hand to his wife and helping her up. "Mind the water, these rocks are quite slippery." He added as she stepped up before they were given their brooms. This was not the kind of work either of them were used to; cleaning was one thing—although they had an army of servants to help with it—but scrubbing some centuries-old stone with a broom was entirely different. Frankly, it reminded him of some of the punishments the instructors would come up with if you stepped out of line. He recalled one of his classmates having to mop the rain during a storm, for example, but this wasn't a punitive measure by any means. Nope, it was a tradition. Bit of an odd one, he privately thought, but they might say the same about the things that were done back home. Either way, the Imperial couple would take to their duties well, and in time, it would be finished.

Of course, the prayer itself was by no means strange to either of them; having come from a Teidō and Buddhist environment, such practices were certainly not uncommon, although the average person in the country would probably be considered only culturally a part of those faiths rather than devout. Not Eijirō, though. While he privately eschewed the mythologized origins of the country found in the faith's many texts, instead viewing them in a metaphorical sense, he still believed in the power of prayer and of the kami to intercede on the behalf of mortals. That being said, of course, they didn't belong to the same faith as the locals, so it seemed odd to pray to their deities. Even so, Eijirō and Mayumi would offer their own prayers, albeit they had no offerings as this was not something either had planned. It was a private affair, the prayers which neither announced nor uttered aloud, punctuated only by the kashiwade—the ceremonial clapping and bowing seen most often at shrines—and nothing more.

Just as they were preparing to board their boat and return to the castle, a loud *splash* could be heard, followed by a great commotion from the Achkaerinese delegation, among a few others. Though it was hard to make out exactly what had happened, it was clear that someone important had fallen in. Both Eijirō and Mayumi would look over, and upon seeing that it was Serenity, turned to one another with a smile, reminded of days gone by.
   "You could've helped her." Mayumi said as they returned to the boat a few moments later, after the "fiasco" had been resolved.
   "And embarrassed the Achkaerinese? Fat chance." Eijirō sighed as he grabbed the oar. "Besides, if I were in her position, I'd want less people helping me up."
   "You just say that because you're too stubborn to accept help, or need I remind you of that one time with the lake?"
   "That is low, even for you." Eijirō said in jest, recalling the time they first met. It was a party at the residence of Viscount Tachibana out in Otsu prefecture, a fine estate noted for its location along Lake Inba. Mayumi had actually accidentally bumped into him while he was enjoying the scenery, though he was quick to maintain that he was probably drunk at the time. Either way, he was left trying to pull himself out of the water for nearly two minutes, due in part to the terrain but more-so his own stubbornness, yet all he could think about now, looking back on it, was that girl who had knocked him in. It was funny how things worked out; one might think that someone of his station might resent that sorta thing, but not him. "Besides, if it weren't for that, I doubt either of us would be here, would we?" He smiled.

Once on land, and having changed back into something more appropriate—neither of them would want to wear the overalls for the duration of the event—the couple would decide to pay the Achkaerinese a visit, get caught up before anything else started.
   "Your Imperial Majesty," Eijirō said, his otherwise formal demeanor slipping after a moment. "I must say, between the two of us, I expected I'd be the one to fall off the bank, not you." He continued, thinking back on the conversation he and Mayumi had earlier, before saying "Nice place, this country. Really friendly people, in any case. I trust you've enjoyed yourself, the incident earlier notwithstanding?"

Offline Medusalin

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2023, 08:33:53 PM »
Theo looked at Saskia's phone and shook his head, it was such a shame that people seemed to lack an understanding of the culture of his homeland. That would be something they'd have to change. "Do your people pay much attention to social media. We've more or less made the decision that our family will avoid the thing, always seems nothing but lies and drama." As the Prince spoke with Saskia butlers mingled with the crowd and right on cue one was next to Henrietta as she enquired about Mulled Wine. The servant handed her a steaming glass of the deep red rich liquid and then was away. Princess Constance had got a glass herself and approached the Prime Minister of East Moreland.

"I hope you're enjoying the drink" She voiced. "I myself find this mulled wine a little heavy but its not the festival without it and I have to say it does warm you through once back on dry land. I understand you and your King helped draft the CETO treaty. Its something we're going to get mother to join, can you though tell us a little more about it?"

With the Achkaerin Empress slightly soggy one of the Naval officers on land had been dispatched to bring back a huge fleecy blanket in addition to what everyone else had. A young female Naval officer also had appeared carrying a wooden box. "Your Majesty we've a box here with things you may...erm...require." She handed over the box containing a hair dryer, make up and various hair products. It was not the first time that someone had fallen in and the Navy were pretty old hands on sorting this out.

With everyone seemingly engaged it was about half an hour later that a white coated chef appeared. "Your Majesty, honoured guests" He announced loudly. "If you would care to follow me we have some food prepared for you." He lead the group into the rather intimate court yard of the castle. There was arrayed several large trays suspended above small heaters each filled with food. "We did not like to assume your selections. So we had some fine Cod, Haddock and Halibut. All swimming in the Mhorish just this morning. Each is coated in either regular batter or our special beer batter which gives a lighter crispier texture. Next we have traditional chips, thick cut from potatoes grown on the island. We can then offer you mushy peas, marrowfat peas cooked until they almost liquify. We can also offer a choice of sauces, curry, gravy or my personal favourite some mint sauce, lovely drizzled on the peas." As each of the guests approached the food a young naval cadet appeared next to them carrying a plate on which a basket had been arranged. "Oh and of course as tradition in any Medusalin fish and chip shop dictates served on newspaper." The paper lining the basket was not in fact the pages of yesterdays news papers recycled but was in fact specially made sheets of paper with photos from the days proceedings on and hastily made by some IT team behind the scenes. "Should we have any vegetarians we have vegeterian sausages and everything else is free from animal products." The cadets followed behind their designated VIP and as they made their selection held the plate for the chef before following them to a table and carefully placing the plate down before pulling out the seat for them. 

Elisabeth had gone last down the line, she took a seat among her guests. "This may not be a state banquet the likes of which you are used to but it is very popular Friday night food in Medusalin and on various other holidays. It explains why it was selected. We wanted you to see what our people are like. Later if any of you wish we can go to the various beach parties, although I suspect thats more something the young may enjoy" She grinned, "They get a little....over the top." She explained. "What I'd like to have you all think about though while we eat is this. We have here on the island two big problems. The first is our population. With 3.8million of us and an island that I'm told by experts can accommodate around double that number we have room for development. I am therefore going to make each of you an offer. We will, if certain conditions are meet, accept all refugees or asylum seekers your nation gets until we reach a population of 5 million people. Our conditions are that the individual must be aged between 18 and 40, be able to vetted and capable of work. We will of course allow each worker to bring their immediate family. Our second condition is that we would expect a payment of $35,000 per person, the equivalent of their first years wages. After that point they become our responsibility. The second issue we have here on the island is that we have so far no existing trade arrangements. I therefore am offering each of you a deal of reciprocity. For the next two years you will have my guarantee that whatever level of tariffs you set on trade from our nation we will match. You remove all tariffs for us, you get tariff free trade for two years here. Now please consider these matters while we enjoy some tasty food."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2023, 12:30:39 AM »
David allowed Stasya and Henrietta to go ahead of him as they approached where the food was as expected his wife selected very little of the fried food ever mindful of her figure, Henrietta shared non of those qualms. David meanwhile was only too happy to indulge. "Do you think I could get a piece of the Cod and the Halibut, beer batter on both please." He asked hopeful that the chef may allow him a liberty. He chatted with the cadet while the chefs plated up his food and thanked him for carrying the plate for him as he took a seat next to his wife and the Prime Minister.

"Its not exactly elegant" Stasya whispered as she picked up a fork to try a tiny morsel of the peas. She seemingly approved and then tried a bit of the batter. "Not elegant but nice" She concluded with a nod.

"Well no stealing any of my chips when you've finished yours" David smiled as he simply picked up a chip with his fingers, dunked it in his peas and ate mimicking how he'd seen the ordinary Morelanders eat at the Festival of Sail.

As Elisabeth joined them David listened carefully, as in Medusalin the idea of "Chippy Tea" of a Friday was a working class treat that went back to the Industrial Revolution. He remembered the odd "Chippy Tea" with his uncle after being taken to watch the rugby as a child and it was nice to see such a thing was clearly more of a southern Alba Karinyan tradition than he had thought of. He thought for a moment that perhaps how that happened was something he should ask Dr.Merriman when he got home. The two requests from Elisabeth were a little out of the blue. David thought for a moment, "I'm not going to obviously speak on behalf of everyone but I suspect many of us are a little surprised at what you're putting on the table. I for one though will be offering an alternative. I'm fortunate enough to have you as a neighbour and we have various outlets that can support trade, the AKO, MICA etc. I therefore believe that perhaps pursuing one of those in regards to trade between us may be a stronger way forward. I'd be happy to sit with you, and even perhaps the Crown-Princess from Valen and discuss these options separately."

The second matter was, at least as far as David was concerned, more interesting. "East Moreland has perhaps one of the longest histories in terms of accepting refugees. We have a facility called Hunter's Vale that has helped house a great many refugees and asylum seekers over the past decade or so. The idea of passing on that burden is one that I don't really like, we have a duty to help those made refugees by war or the like. Now what you are offering though is better than Hunters Vale. There its only a temporary establishment and while we have schools, health care, ok housing and the like its not a long term solution. What I would say then is this. If we find ourselves in a situation where Hunter's Vale has housed somebody for over a year we would look to utilise your programme, if they agreed. Also if we have you sign up to MICA or the AKO we may find other ways to help with your desire for a population boost."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2023, 02:59:42 PM »
"I was fortunate enough to have some people in my Cult'S Ranks that understood the importance of dealing with these new Platforms in Time."

Saskia answers the prince while sighing heavily at the mulled wine. The old lady flicked through a couple posts and nods:

"It's opinions unfiltered, and if left unchecked and unchallenged you'll find yourself a Sh...Storm out of nothing within moments. I don't necessarily enjoy it, the rules we have for Senate debates set a better example than the unhinged platforms, but they are part of our reality now."

She sipped some more of the wine and nodded again:

"Also, i don't think this one had much to do with your culture, and everything to do with my office. Internet Trolls tend to purposely target my cult since they have little to no understanding who or what we are. The label of Death is easily targeted with little understanding. They simply took advantage of how little is known of your Ritual in the public, I've send my Team out to rectify the narrative."

She glanced again at her Phone and grinned again, looking back at the Prince:

"We'll go with '#CleanYourOwnMess and '#NoDeathToday' - my people will try to give this a positive spin."

Saskia enjoyed the food offered, it was homey, simple and still told a clear story. It was a great choice for the occasion. She had some of the mint sauce with the food and enjoyed it, that is until the refugee issue came up. No, she couldn't see it working out well for the tiny island. A small drip might be manageable but a sudden rush of people would interrupt the grown structures, even break them.

"I thank you for the offer, your Highness, but i'd rather prefer we deal with what comes our way ourselves. We tend to believe that you shouldn't run away from your problems, and refugees would be non the different. Though seeing how different we are culturally i hardly see many coming to start with, even in the troubled times neither the seathordians not the lakhzovians saw us as a choice to flee too. It's something we still have to work on ourselves."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2024, 06:48:31 PM »
Serenity smiled gratefully at the naval officer who presented her with the box "Thank you." she said taking the blanket and box and beginning the process of drying her hair out with the hairdryer "The things my left foot causes to happen." she mumbled before flipping her hair back and using the provided blanket to smooth it and get any water remnants out of it. "May I ask how you're finding naval life? she asked looking at the female officer,

When the food was produced Peter had to smile, he'd had fish and chips a great many times over the years, hung on the walls of the Marble Palace back home there was a picture of himself, David and Joshua enjoying the delicacy probably after a Confederation Cup match though the trio had had that many meals together over the years that it could have been any number of moments. Historically the fishing industry in Achkaerin had been one of the main pillars of the economy and trade, and while that had shifted over the years it was still something that was fairly important. Looking at the selection Peter weighed up his options before placing the family order as he'd done so many times back home "Three cod and chips, nice and crispy and with plenty of mushy peas." he said while the food was prepared Renee had noticed that one of the pictures on the newspaper was Serenity in the water and giggled.

When Elisabeth's offer came Serenity's instant thought was should have brought Siora, thinking through what to say she took a breath "I'm very much in the same metaphorical boat as King David here. Over many years Achkaerin has taken in many refugee's and asylum seekers from across Mundus, I'm not minded to shirk the responsibility we have in that regard, so what I will say is similar to King David when an asylum seeker reaches a certain point in the process we will, should they consent, offer them the opportunity you have described for us." Serenity said "The trade offer is something I will take you up on and hopefully will be something for us to build upon in the future."

Offline Valen

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2024, 10:25:12 PM »
Charlotte gathered some food, some Cod, no peas though. To her mind they were just like snot, a bad experience from childhood putting her off the things for life. She took a seat with the others and was slightly surprised that the Morelander King was eating like a savage. Naturally she didn't say anything and listened carefully to what her neighbour Queen Elisabeth had to say. While she had no ultimate authority in Valen she was confident enough in what she was about to say to ensure that it would become the nations official response "Your Majesty knows that Valen has, does and forever will stand shoulder to shoulder with Medusalin. Many of us around the table are royals and it is historically known many royals refer to each other as "cousin" in a almost fraternity sense of the word. In many ways though Valen and Medusalin are cousins. We've a sad history that many of the families here can trace their own lineage back to Valen. As such we are pleased to accept your offer of like for like tariffs. While it will be His Majesty King Willem who will set tariffs at our end I'm certain that it will be at a low level. There is a lot we can do to help each other. As for the population matter we have very few asylum seekers or refugees heading to Valen, maybe its because of the actions of East Moreland evacuating so many from troubles those able to get to Alba Karinya see them as an obvious place to head to." She shrugged her shoulders. "We will though make it part of our process that any arriving in Valen have it made clear, they can sit and wait while their application runs through our system which will place strict controls on them until their case is determined. This process often lasts just over six months. Alternatively they can take up your offer. That's the position we'll take."