Author Topic: Let's Talk Peace  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Let's Talk Peace
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »

To the Government of Lakhzovia and the Utman People,

The situation currently continuing to unfold in Lakhzovia has attracted as I'm sure you're aware a whole lot of attention, we have plenty of nations making statements, some call for negotiation others make statements that are unhelpfully worded but the longer this goes on the greater it seems the risk is that this is going to spiral out of control, I've seen it at the CTO over the course of debating the latest resolution which initially concerned just the elections has had to adapt and evolve to cover the Chemical Plant incident as well as endorse the East Moreland Four Point Plan. The resolution passed at the CTO also entrusts myself with the task of chairing and mediating peace talks between the Lakhzov and Utman people, the talks as per the resolution are set to take place aboard the REMNS Dalek and East Moreland shall be providing transport and security for these first talks.[1]

I will await you aboard the REMNS Dalek where I hope for constructive and understanding talks that can reassure all those concerned through careful discussion of the issues and build a lasting peace.

Sakura Sheppard
Secretary General of the CTO
 1. OOC- I'm guessing that what would happen is that a helicopter gets sent to a pick up point for the Lakhzov govt and another sent to pick up the Utman, both then flown back to the Dalek, I believe that is what Dave has done before.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: Let's Talk Peace
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
Tesan Cikniye sat aboard the helicopter taking in the view of the REMNS Dalek. He had come straight from a briefing of the Presidential Advisory Group where the government opening position had been finalised, he was not looking forward to the negotiations and was of the firm opinion that Kadassa should not have bowed to the pressure to engage with them 'surely by doing so you extend tacit recognition of the right of the ULO to claim representation for the Utman' he thought to himself 'Plus it's morally wrong to negotiate with terrorists' he added as an afterthought.

When his helicopter finally landed on the deck of the ship he emerged to greet the welcoming party, in so much as he could feel welcome. He had been informed prior to arriving that the ULO chairman Racip Uttaman had already reached the vessel and was currently elsewhere preparing for the initial session. He sighed deeply, this was going to be unpleasant.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM »
Sakura, was waiting in the officers meeting room aboard the Dalek, she'd been wondering if this had been what Serenity had felt like when faced with sorting out the mess of the Andean Genocide? Or maybe even the Ardian Diplomatic Convention? The weight of knowing that there were high stakes and knowing what was on the line. How did they do it? Still this wasn't her first rodeo she'd chaired the odd meeting here and there. But the Utman situation had become the main theme of her time as Secretary General and though she wasn't going to be in post for much longer she did have the job of chairing negotiations between the Lahkzovians and the Utman.

However it wasn't going to be easy, Lakhzovia's actions during the affair had been at times highly questionable and some questions still remained. The questionable acts of the Lakhzovians through the crisis made satisfying the concerns of the international community a priority, but the troublesome wild card in this were the Utman themselves, they had the most to gain in this and seemingly nothing to lose, on the other hand Lakhzovia had everything to lose and seemingly nothing to gain. Priority one then was to redress that balance, this was going to be about getting and giving assurances through various different steps and options. Still this was going to be far from a walk in the park and would likely take all of her diplomatic skill to pull off.

That said she wasn't unprepared nor was she alone as she'd borrowed the services of Commodore David Hastings from the Cross Straits Union where the man was the Commissioner of Defence, she'd asked him along because at present he was the only specifically appointed official to a multinational organisation with a brief that included military matters and it was far better to have someone who's responsibility was similar to hers along than call in a serving officer from a nation. He was present because some of the potential avenues included boots being put on the ground so best to have an experienced opinion.

"Will this work?" Sakura asked
"On paper it's a fair proposal." David said "But..."
"But reality may well be a different matter." Sakura said "Stop the fighting, contain the situation, handle concerns on all sides. Sounds easy doesn't it?"
"It does but it won't be." David said "These guys will want every advantage they can get. Be firm and be fair. But remember the red lines."

Sakura glanced down at a normally white elastic band/plastic wristband she wore, well it had been plastic right up until she'd become Secretary General on her first day in office she'd taken a permanent marker and written W.W.T.D on it - What Would Tim Do? It was a nod to her predecessor Tim Carpenter of East Moreland perhaps the person who'd thrown more personally into the CTO than anyone else this sort of meeting had always been his strong point, she still carried the letter from his brother in her pocket as well.

She looked up as the door was opened by an East Moreland sailor and Cikniye and Uttaman were shown in to the room.
"Thank you." Sakura said, it had been a good idea to let East Moreland handle the welcoming stuff this was their ship, their turf, now she turned her attention to the two men "Thank you for coming gentlemen, please have a seat, I look forward to a constructive first session. May I introduce Commodore David Hastings the Commissioner of Defence for the Cross Straits Union - he's here to offer his expert opinion on some potential circumstances we may end up discussing."
"Gentlemen." David said

The four sat around the table, Cikniye and Uttaman opposite each other with Sakura at the head of the table and David at the foot.
"For this first session I would like to focus our efforts around firstly establishing a ceasefire and then ensuring that it holds. We would then conclude this session by agreeing when the second one would take place. The purpose of these talks is to firstly stop the fighting and then explore ways forward that are acceptable and to then implement a path forwards that leads to a lasting peace. I am aware of course that there are many components to this, and both sides will have concerns, my responsibility is to help you negotiate through these talks but also to guide you as to what is likely to reassure the international community." Sakura explained

"So I think the appropriate place to start is for both of you gentlemen to lay out your overall view on the present situation. Now please I appreciate this is an emotive issue but I ask that you please try to be objective and constructive."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:43:17 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Cikniye was the first to speak “Our view is as clear as it is simple. The Lakhzov people have been the victims of oppression at the hands of the Utman for centuries. We have spent many generations under minority rule within our own homeland, the promises of the United Peoples’ Republic were shown to be empty; effectively the same Utman minority dictatorship under the guise of a republic for all its peoples.

Having freed ourselves of this oppression we found that the Utman had tried to set us in an unsustainably weak position with their partition, a partition that led to the merciless persecution of Lakhzov communities in Transmecuria. It being clear that time was limited before they attempted to invade us and reassert their former control over the lakhzov people we were forced to act in our own defence and bring our entire historical homeland under our sovereignty.

Since then  we have attempted to build a country for all its citizens, yet the Utman have continued their struggle against Lakhzov self-rule through a brutal terrorist campaign that has culminated in the current situation where having felt that they have garnered sufficient international sympathy they yet again set out to destroy Lakhzovia.”

Next Uttaman, visibly irritated by Cikniye’s words, made his statement “I do not wish to be dragged in to an argument about the rights or wrongs of acts carried out before anyone in this room was born.

Beginning then with the United Peoples’ Republic we see a situation where a secular state for its entire people was brought down at a time of weakness by the machinations of a hostile Lakhzov-supremacist nationalist movement spearheaded by Sachim Kadassa.

Having effectively brought an end to the UPR’s project of peace, coexistence and mutual benefit the Utman minority rightly feared for their future as a minority in a state dominated by a fascistic Lakhzov nationalism and therefore sought the only compromise in the circumstances that would allow both peoples their freedom. This led to the partition of the former UPR into Lakhzovia and the Utman Republic.

However this was not acceptable to the Lakhzov nationalists who spurred on by their ideological need to dominate the Utman launched an unwarranted invasion of our fledgling state, resulting in three decades of subjugation, humiliation and suffering at the hands of the criminal Kadassa regime.

The Utman abandoned by the international community to suffer the vengeful reprisals of the Lakhzov for the real or imagined sins of our ancestors had no recourse other than to defend ourselves through organised resistance.

This resistance is an affirmation of our right as a people to exist and encompasses all spheres of life aimed at preserving ourselves and protesting our national rights. Our campaign of political, cultural and diplomatic resistance is what has brought us to the point where we are once again able to rise and demand our right to self-determination within our own historic homeland, just as the Lakhzov are afforded theirs.”

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »
Sakura mentally sighed, she'd known this was always going to be a difficult task but she wasn't sure she'd appreciated just how difficult it would be, even having done her homework hadn't completely prepared her for the situation at hand.

"It's very clear to me from having just listened to both of you that there are some deep rooted issues and rest assured we will discuss them but I don't think that it is helpful or practical to discuss them while the threat of a conflict looms over this situation. You both know this has the potential to get very ugly you only need to look at the positions of some nations and unhelpful statements thereof to realize this. So first I would like to concentrate on achieving an end to the conflict. Given the situation as it stands it may well be the case that we have to consider a peacekeeping operation of some kind and I'm sure Commodore Hastings can provide some insight into that as I am not a military expert and this would be more in his field. I'm sure this possibility is something that has occurred to both of you as well." she said, first end the fighting she thought.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »
Cikniye snorted derisively "What conflict? Lakhzovia is currently not engaged in a conflict. In fact we have demonstrated exceptional restraint in the face of rapidly mounting hostility. While the Utman recommissioned the Khaliniz Brigades and has began forcing Lakhzov citizens from their homes, seizing government property and attacking our security personnel we have limited ourselves merely to defending key infrastructure.

If you want an end to 'conflict' then the international community should condemn and demand an end to the criminal Utman aggression rather than acting as enablers of it..."

At this point Uttaman interrupted angrily "Utman crimes!" he bellowed "If it were not for the Khaliniz Brigades and international threats the streets would be running with Utman blood as we speak, the only thing guaranteeing the safety of my people and the integrity of our future state are the Brigades. Lakhzovia has a heavily armed military apparatus, it has fighter jets and bombers, and yet we are criminals for defending ourselves with some light infantry? It's laughable that our brigades could be considered a real threat compared to the LDF.

The Utman people welcome the possibility of foreign peacekeepers, we feel that in the face of the brutal Lakhzov war machine only an international force can protect us until such a time as we are able to provide our own security on par with Lakhzovia's."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
"Gentlemen please." Sakura said stepping in "This is a volatile situation that has historic roots and has the added complication of a fault line based on ethnicity, Mr Cikniye I'm sure you've read the statement made by President Kaminsky and that you realize its implications, this is a situation that is perilously close to spiraling out of control. The first step is to deescalate the situation which is why I proposed the peacekeeping force. It reassures the Utman's concerns about Lakhzovian reprisals to their independence declaration, it reassures the international communities concerns that this is not going to descend into a repeat of recent history but it also would be done in such a way that it would reassure the Lakhzovian concerns about elements within the Utman. Commodore Hastings has the formal proposals for such an effort and I'm going to ask that you both listen to it before rejecting it out of hand but I do hope you accept the proposals because the alternative to this is something that does not bear imagining, and the last thing any of us wants are the voices of reason to be drowned out."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
This time it was Uttaman who was first to respond “The Utman Republic remains committed to the principles of peace and as already stated we fully welcome an international peacekeeping force to ensure that the rights of the Utman are protected against Lakhzov aggression. I however must reject the validity of the supposed Lakhzov concerns about ‘elements within the Utman’ which I presume to be a reference to our wholly legitimate self-defence brigades. I know it is Lakhzovia’s desire to have them branded as a terrorist organisation in much the same way it has sought to have our provisional government so described. We refuse to recognise this propagandistic characterisation of our national liberation government, it is not surprising however that they attempt to do so, for does not every oppressor attempt to portray themselves as the victims when the oppressed fight back?” Looking Cikniye in the eyes he then added “Given that the international community now sees through these deceptions, and the stated willingness of our neighbours to come to our aid militarily should Lakhzovia seek to brutalise the Utman I strongly recommend that my Lakhzov counterpart agree to a peacekeeping force in order that the Utman Republic be born in peace, and not war; for either way born it will be.”

Cikniye replied icily “We do not fear Kaminsky, should he carry out his ill-conceived threats then we will destroy his invasion force and his regime. I am however surprised at the naivety of Mr Uttaman, he plays at being a statesman yet appears to be oblivious to the obvious intentions of Kaminsky to turn Transmecuria into a buffer zone and would lead only to the rape of the Utman by the nightmare regime of Artztoska.

We in the Lakhzov government have so far held our hand in this conflict and will continue to do so. However if allowing a peacekeeping mission would allow for the Utman peace of mind then we will agree to it with a number of provisions: First we would demand that the joint Lakhzov-Saheristani force be entitled to retain its patrols of the Lakhzov-Artztoskan border, second the peace keeping force would be restricted to those locales where the Utman population forms a majority, third we would want this force to fall under the direction of Empress Emerita Beatrice of Rokkenjima and finally we would expect that with such a force in place that the Khaliniz Brigades be disarmed and dismantled.”

Cikniye proceeded to unroll two pre-prepared maps "This first map shows the areas of ethnic Utman majority in red. The second map shows our proposed peacekeeping zones, we would potentially consider allow some deployments in zones A to J while the northern border region would stay under control of the Lakhzov-Saheristani forces in order to secure the border against the Arstotzkan threat."

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:15:49 AM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
OOC- sent you a message on Discord about this, but is it possible for you to give a rough indication of what area of the Utman Republic territory is presently held by the Utman as opposed to claimed?

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:45:13 PM »
"Mr Cikniye most of what you say is agreeable in principle." Commodore Hastings said "And I will address that in a moment but let me explain the principle components of this operation.

Firstly ground forces deployed to keep the peace, to ensure that the Lakhzovian's, the Utman and any other factions do not ignite hostility's by means of a clearly established 'border' and police presence. There will be a command structure incorporating experience in leading roles and inclusive in nature in that we ensure that both the Lakhzovians and the Utman are kept informed of any developments through means of a liaison official assigned to the command post wherever that happens to be. We will ask that as part of this Lakhzovia and the Utman agree to the seconding of an officer from one of the nations involved in the peacekeeping effort to ensure that this communication goes both ways as it were.

Secondly we take on board the concern that the Lakhzovian government has previously raised about potential weapons smuggling going into the Utman territories so we will safeguard this in a way reassuring to both sides - the establishment of a no fly zone this coupled with an established customs system firstly reassures Lakhzovia that nothing suspect is going into airports inside Utman territory and also reassures the Utman that they aren't under an air threat.

Now as for your conditions Mr Cikniye. Firstly your patrols that I think would be agreeable but I note that your map implies that your Lahkzov-Saheristani force zone extends not only along the Lakhzov-Arstotzkan border but also the Lakhzov-Somerset border, I'm assuming that's an error on the part of whoever has drawn that map, since we would request that the Lakhzov-Somerset border fall under the jurisdiction of the peacekeeping force since it is a Majority Utman area and you do not need to hold that area to secure against Arstotzka.

Secondly in terms of the restricted areas - that again is agreeable in principle but the peacekeeping force would reserve the right to act if attacked from an area outside of these zones such as the area between zones G and D which I'm sure is something you can understand.

Thirdly in terms of the dissolution of the Khaliniz Brigades and similar outfits, this is subject to Mr Uttaman's agreement and while I would urge him to accept I would also point out that Lakhzovia should address any similar outfits that are on its side of this.

Finally Empress Emerita Beatrice in command? From the point of view of the international community that's likely to cause problems, to expect officers with the experience levels of Brigadier Kelly and General Fuji, we're talking about career military figures used to commanding international operations to then take field command orders from someone who a) has no prior military command experience b) has a somewhat dubious track record in peacekeeping efforts as a head of state and c) is likely to prove more a liability than an asset to this operation in a command role is at best questionable. Are we prepared to consider her involvement? If it puts Lakhzovia at ease yes, but command decisions should be in the hands of those who know how to make them and to be honest Mr Cikniye Beatrice Anselmo does not know how to."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:55 PM »
"Ok then let's think about what we can work with." Sakura said having listened to David outline the issues from a military perspective "Gentlemen if I make a suggestion based on what we've discussed in regards to a peacekeeping force.

1) The peacekeeping force shall comprise a ground military, no fly zone, customs element and administrative arm.

2) The peacekeeping force shall operate within designated areas but shall be permitted to travel through non designated areas between zones and to respond to threats originating against them from inside such areas. The no fly zone element of the peacekeeping force shall extend in blanket form across the designated zones and territories between zones.

3) The Lakhzovian and Saheristan forces shall be allowed to maintain their patrols of the Lakhzov-Arstotzkan border, the Lakhzov-Somerset border shall fall under the jurisdiction of the Peacekeeping force.

4) The Lakhzov government and the Utman Leadership shall both appoint liaison officers to the base camp of the Peacekeeping force where they will have a designated contact - this can be Beatrice Anselmo.

5) Command of the Peacekeeping Force shall be the responsibility of General Kakashi Fuji - he has the command experience of a similar operation and is more than capable of doing the job.

6) The Lakhzov and Utman leaderships agree to the disbanding of all independent militia units shall be disbanded."

Sakura took a breath this was probably the best she could do, it addressed the major issues and in her opinion satisfied the concerns of both the Lakhzovians and Utman in a fair manner, it put an experienced person in charge and allowed the possibility of Beatrice's involvement in a lesser role which would hopefully appease the Lakhzovian's and reassure the international community.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »
Uttaman was incensed "We absolutely refuse to countenance point six of this proposal. The Utman nation is new born and vulnerable to attack as it is, the demand that we disband our sole defensive organisation is an absurd one, you may as well demand that we commit suicide for that is what it would in effect be.

All that has brought Lakhzovia to these negotiations is the threat of international action and the fear of our ability to form our sovereign state in such an eventuality. Our ability to do this rests entirely upon our ability to enforce our rule within our territory and defend our territory from outside interference. You may as well request Lakhzovia disband its military for it would in effect be as realisable a demand.

Our future path envisions that the Khaliniz Brigades be incorporated into the future Utman armed forces and thus dissolved in much the way the majority of the Lakhzov militias were absorbed in to their own armed forces. We are however not at a stage in our history where we can agree to lay down our weapons.

We therefore categorically reject this demand which was clearly made by Lakhzovia for the purpose of creating deliberate obstacles to peace."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »
"Then if I may make a suggestion." Sakura said "Instead of disbanding militia's you both reaffirm that such militia's will comply with the respective sections of the Uppsala Convention specifically article three which deals with militia's. The point being that if a Militia member is not identifying themselves as such and is otherwise carrying out militia acts then they are classifiable as a terrorist and lose all the protections of the Uppsala Convention. I would also add that the peacekeeping force should be informed of all these militia movements. You may not be a point where you can lay sacrifice that protection as you imply Mr Uttaman but I think you could at least agree to some regulation as to their activities that can reassure the concern while Mr Cikniye can do likewise with respect to any Lakhzovian militia's."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
"While we would clearly much prefer the complete disbandment of the Khaliniz Brigades it is obvious that the Utman will refuse any form of compromise on this and have decided to claim them as their army. So be it. If they wish to make it known to the world that their power is built on the back of a terrorist organisation then Lakhzovia can at least welcome that honest admission for the world to see and understand exactly what a kind of people the Utman truly are.

I am concerned however that it shows a determination on the part of the Utman to resist negotiated settlement, or rather their preparation to resume their terrorist campaign should they not be handed exactly what they demand. It rather raises the question of the utility of these discussions.

On our part the Lakhzov government is aware of ongoing issues with the sole remaining militia from the war of independence. This is an organisation that has a particular base among those communities which have been most at risk and most often targeted by Utman terror and considers itself operationally independent from the government, it's recent statements should be enough to confirm this.

In truth it is an organisation we have been attempting to undermine for some time with the ultimate aim of removing it as it poses an unwelcome threat to Lakhzov national interests. We are not however prepared to start a civil war with our own people in order to disarm them at a time when the situation is so critically balanced, to do so would turn the entire region into a bloodbath.

On this point it should also be recognised that the actions of the Utman far from increasing the security in Transmecuria has effectively empowered the Hand of Emet and caused an escalation in both their activity and their hostility towards the Lakhzov government. We will continue in our endeavours to contain and curtail their activities and once a state of calm has been restored to the region we will happily work with our allies to finally bring an end to them." said Cikniye "This however will not be possible if the Utman do not cease their needless provocations and agreed to negotiate in good faith an end to their separatist militancy."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:52 PM »
Sakura sighed this was shaping up as expected, still Cikniye hadn't dismissed the suggested alteration of article six so there was hope yet. But as she contemplated her next move her phone pinged up two notifications both from the Free Mundus Network app she had. Then the phone actually rang, Peter she thought reading the caller ID, she dismissed the call wanting to focus on the matter at hand but then the phone rang again, same caller and this time she picked it up.

"If you'll excuse me Gentlemen." she said, she left the room and answered the phone "What's up?"
"What's up is it's starting." Peter said "Six hundred Utman were massacred in the village of Bokar and now Lakhzovia's cut power and utilities to Utman areas."
"Do you have proof of Lakhzovian government involvement in the massacre?" Sakura asked leaning against a bulkhead
"No but I have independent video footage from JET personnel detailing the scene." Peter said "My guess is Hand of Emet."
"So what are you saying?" Sakura asked
"I'm saying go and get the deal." Peter said

Sakura hung up the phone and returned to the room
"Negotiate in good faith Mr. Cikniye?" she asked "How about Lakhzovia does that? Cutting off power and utilities to Utman areas is hardly constructive or useful, it does nothing to help you here. And then it gets even better as we now have the Hand of Emet massacring six hundred civilians. I want an explanation and I want it now as I'm sure Mr Uttaman does. Let me be clear these developments change a lot of things and if you're serious about peace then you'll agree to end this with an agreement now rather than tear your homes apart and spill more blood. So Mr Cikniye what do you have to say about this?"

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Cikniye looked perplexed "If you'll excuse me I need to make a phone call." he said as he rose from the table and walked into the corridor Sakura had just returned from. He pulled his phone from his pocket and dialled Kadassa's direct line, after a minute of ringing he was about to give up when the line suddenly went through.

"Tesan, I'm pretty busy at the moment so this better be important." said Kadassa

"I appreciate that Mr President but things aren't going well here, Sakura has just ambushed me with a demand for an explanation regarding some developments back home that I was unaware of, I need to know what our line is." said Cikniye

"And which developments are these?"

"Cutting off electricity to the Utman and Hand of Emet activity, specifically an alleged killing of 600 civilians."

"Ah i see. Okay the line on the power embargo is simple, as far as our government is concerned we are under no obligation to provide services and resources to our enemies. The main point of it however was really to show that they control almost none of the infrastructure required to establish a viable state, this should improve our negotiating position even if we are pressured to restore power that fact has now been demonstrated. As for the Hand of Emet our official line is as it has always been, the government has been wary of their operational independence ever since the civil war, they're latest acts show them to be a threat to stability and that we seek to have them disbanded but that at present we are unable to." said Kadassa

"In regards to the Hand of Emet, are the allegations of the massacre true?"

"Yes that is true, it appears to have been in response to an attempt on the life of Danoi Yishveliy, the perpetrator was from that village. I presume that has become an issue at the talks?"

"You could say that, it's obviously caused a degree of outrage, I rather get the impression they suspect, if not our links to the Hand of Emet, that we are being soft on their activities, it may be prudent for us to take a publicly harder line against them."

"That is a reasonable enough point" said Kadassa thoughtfully "I shall make a public condemnation." he said resolutely "Is that all?"

"Yes Sir, thank you." said Cikniye to a line that had already been cut at which point he returned to the meeting and sat down at the table.

"Thank you for allowing me the time to seek clarification on the issues you have brought up." he said "Our position in regards to the electricity embargo is that no nation on Mundus could reasonably be expected to supply resources and services to an enemy that in engaged in hostile activity against them. The Utman have declared themselves an independent state, yet as this embargo demonstrates they are not capable of acting as an independent entity as they lack control of even the most basic state infrastructure. What we are dealing with is a terrorist organisation spreading propaganda, now while we are open to the possibility of restoring power on humanitarian grounds I think it is important that we recognise the fact that the Utman Provisional Government is no such thing, and the self-declared Utman Republic is stillborn, once we have done this our negotiations can move on to  more productive ground, namely the disarming of the Utman Militias, the dissolving of the Provisional Government and as a concession more generous than is deserved, a move towards Utman regional autonomy short of independence.

Now a more pressing concern is clearly the recent activities of the Hand of Emet. Our government has always been of the opinion that this militia should have been dissolved post independence as were the other militias of that period, we have always been wary of their continued operational independence from the state security structures and while we have tolerated them so long as they remained little more than a guard force for Lakhzov villages their recent pursuit of an aggressive agenda in opposition to the goals of the state is intolerable.

This massacre shocks and appals us as much as it does you. The act clearly shows the group is working to undermine peace, our government and its authority, we recognise there is a real need to bring an end to the Hand of Emet's activities and ensure that they are dismantled. At present this is difficult due to the precarious security situation in Transmecuria, for example our military in compliance with the CTO has been forced to withdraw from the region. Had this not been so, and had our security forces been maintaining checkpoints in the countryside as they had been prior to international intervention then the tragic events we have witness would not have been possible."

By this point Uttaman had had enough "All these acts so far have proved only one thing, that the Lakhzov government does not, and never will have, the interests of the Utman people at heart. That you are able to decide to arbitrarily cut power to millions, resulting in the wholescale shutdown of hospitals, water treatment purely to demonstrate a negotiating point actually provides a powerful argument in favour of the need for true Utman independence from Lakhzovia.

As for you claims about the Hand of Emet I refuse to believe them. For thirty years your regime has held absolute power and security control over the region, you expect us to believe that in all this time you were never in a position to force the dissolution of the HoE? We feel that it is obvious to all that the militia is nothing more than another branch of the Lakhzov security forces being used to do your dirty work..."

"That is an OUTRAGEOUS accusation!" snarled Cikniye, interrupting Uttaman mid sentence "and coming from you of all people is doubly offensive. Is it not you people who have resorted to the mass killings of Lakhzov civilians as they went about their lives? Was it not your organisation that directly ordered and carried out the bombings of busy markets, the bombing of a train full of commuters, the mass shootings of men and women in the street? How dare you try to project your terrorist criminality on to us." turning to Sakura he added "You see what we are faced with? You see how we attempt to find a path forward only to have them spit in our face? We reach out our hand in peace and they place a snake in it. When will you wake up to the fact that these people don't want peace? I am prepared to continue with negotiations but only if there is some prospect of moving towards an acceptable outcome, as it stands this man shows no indication that he is willing to do so."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:52:35 AM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
Sakura sighed heavily she had her own suspicions about what was going on with this - it just seemed a little too convenient that the Hand of Emet carried out a massacre and then a matter of hours later the Lakhzovian Government cut off utility supplies to the region a move which only benefited the Hand of Emet on the ground? But there was no proof yet and she wasn't really in a position to act on gut instinct alone.

"Gentlemen I'm not interested in playing the 'what if' game, and I'm certainly not interested in playing the blame game. The fact is that by your own admission Mr Cikniye we have in the Hand of Emet an outfit that is working to undermine peace. This therefore makes putting in place measures to stop conflict breaking out and to stop the present situation spiraling out of control even more pressing than it already was. It should be obvious to both of you why this is the case - the Hand of Emet are a militia that as far as the Utman are concerned is nothing more than an extension of the Lakhzovian Armed Forces, so in their mind this is Lakhzovia attacking them, we then have the Utman Militia who are understandably going to be angry about what has happened, it's in both your interests to come to an agreement that prevents conflict breaking out so that we can talk about the long term relationship between your peoples moving forward.

So what I will say is this - I will ask you to agree to articles one through five of what I have previously proposed to you. These are provisions that caused no contention whatsoever and are apparently mutually acceptable to both of you. Article six, which was a move to disband militia's is a point that the Utman take issue with citing self defence and the events of Bokar village may lend that argument some credibility however the fact that the massacre was perpetrated by a militia is also a factor. Now we can either regulate the Utman Militia as I initially suggested when Mr Uttaman objected to that article or we can disband them, but understand that if we disband the Utman Militia then we will then have to talk about how we disband them and how the Utman can then ensure their own security going forward. Even if you don't wish to agree on article six at this time at least agree on articles one through five because that would at least green light the peacekeeping force which in turn deals with the immediate issue of preventing the situation getting out of control.

You both need to take a stand here not against each other but a common stand against the continuation of this cycle of hatred on both sides, if you don't do this then whatever we accomplish here is going to change nothing, I urge you to find your courage and be brave start trusting each other. May I suggest that the resumption of those supplies that were cut by Lakhzovia coupled with arrest warrants for members of the Hand of Emet Militia may be a good gesture on which on which we can build Mr Cikniye? The time has come gentlemen it's time to stop posturing and time to start showing some trust."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:59:15 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
"I believe I have made the Lakhzov position clear regarding this matter, we do not seek to obstruct negotiations as my Utman counterpart is attempting and while he presently refuses to accept the necessity of the dissolution of the Khaliniz Brigades we are sufficiently confident with the proposed peace keeping forces ability to limit and contain the Utman militias to give our agreement to points one through five." said Cikniye

Sakura at this point turned her attention to Uttaman seeking his agreement.

"Despite to ongoing attempts by Mr Cikniye to smear me and my movement as intransigent I recognise in points one to five an appropriate response to our long time call for international protection from the excesses and brutality of the Kadassa regime. I am therefore happy to agree to these provisions."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
OOC- sorry been busy the last few days and this got a little buried. Anyway I think this brings us up to date as it were.

Sakura relaxed in her chair, that was a big step forward and she knew it.
"Commodore would you be so kind as to inform?" she asked
"Certainly." David said

Sakura then turned to the two gentlemen sat at the table
"Thank you both, we have now achieved the first step in this process which prevents the current situation spiraling out of control. Now what I'd like to do in the next stage of the talks is move the discussions on to more practical matters such as the relationship between your two peoples going forward. However I am aware that while we've been sat here discussing matters and making the progress we've made that President Kadassa has called for fresh elections." Sakura said glancing at the news feed app on her phone "Personally I would rather not make progress on the next section only to potentially have Mr Cikniye replaced by someone new - the implication being if the LNCP were to lose the elections then we're talking about a different foreign affairs minister being sat there, it suits all the parties to know who is sat at the table, therefore I'd like to propose adjourning this session of the talks at this point, we can then reconvene following the election cycle in Lakhzovia and I would like to meet the parties in East Moreland at Highwick Manor I'll make requests that East Moreland once more handle the transportation of the representatives."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
Cikniye quickly agreed to the adjournment and began to gather his papers together while Uttaman frowned before finally speaking "I am concerned at this elections ploy by the Kadassa regime, it does not seem reasonable to attempt to carry out elections at a time when there is an ongoing territorial dispute.

I would want assurances that elections would not be held in areas that are current under negotiation, that is those districts that fall within the Utman national claim. I fear that otherwise these elections will be used against us. If the Utman community refuses to participate, as by rights we should, then the LNCP will sweep the region and claim it in effect as a democratic mandate for the region to remain under central government control. Alternatively if the Utman community engages with the elections we will risk the charge that we de facto recognise the validity of Lakhzov rule.

Neither of these outcomes is acceptable to us and we would demand that the Lakhzov government refrain from such provocations."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »
"I can see both the logic and potential concern in these elections." Sakura said "From the Lakhzovian side a clear mandate for negotiation will go to the winner dependent on their position however I can also see the concerns Mr Uttaman has, concerns which I think elements of the international community will share. The question is how to address this concern, not contesting the seats is the simplest option in my view and that should be given serious consideration. I will pass this concern onto Alex Redfern as he's been put in charge of the CTO election monitoring team and see what he recommends."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
"Feel free to pass Uttaman's 'concerns' on to Redfern. However I will simply state that not to run elections in the region would effectively be to disenfranchise the citizens there, which would be unconstitutional. Further if no contest is held there all that happens is that the status quo is maintained, there will still be sitting Senators representing those districts in the Senate, they will simply be those that are there at present.

Uttaman's objections are a contrivance to create further obstruction. The elections will go ahead as planned whether he objects or not." said Cikniye stormily as he rose from the table in preparation to leave.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
"That's your prerogative Mr Cikniye." Sakura said "If they are to be contested then so be it. This process will continue afterwards and the result does not change what needs to be discussed nor do they take any options off the table in terms of the future relationship between your two peoples, however it would be helpful if the political parties contesting the election bore the sensitive and delicate nature of this process in mind, I don't doubt their awareness of it but it is my experience that when politicians get passionate they have a tendency to blurt things out, some of these things can inflame situations and I'm sure we'd all rather that didn't happen.

The choice of what the Utman do is yours Mr Uttaman if you contest the seats then you while in some quarters run the risk you also stand to lay the foundations of what you hope for but I understand your concern. If you choose to boycott the elections then I'm sure that when Alex Redfern reports back to the CTO that any concerns you may have in respect of them can be voiced and discussed there. However I hope that these elections go smoothly and aren't used as tools further down the line. With that said I'll see you in Highwick Mr Uttaman as well as whoever the winning Government representative is, who knows it may well be you Mr Cikniye."