Author Topic: The Castle On The Hill  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Castle On The Hill
« on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

The rays of a new day’s sun shone upon Pyrena Castle as I went about my morning routine. Continuing in the family tradition I had recently welcomed a Savannah cat to the Castle, Butterscotch, whom awaited patiently for her breakfast bowl to be placed on the floor. The once-usual sounds of those in the employ of the Imperial Government had been replaced by the gentle crackle of the fireplace in the adjoining room; once a chamber which would see my day begin with matters of state before even enjoying my first cup of coffee had now reverted to its original purpose as a fine sitting room.

Over the summer I took full advantage of the opportunity to add some personal touches to Pyrena, changes which would see more of a sense of home come to the Castle as a whole. Only an office for myself, a small office for the Vicegerent, and chambers for the Imperial Council remained within the Castle, with all other offices and institutions being transferred to a government compound across from the Dartfordian Embassy which sat below Pyrena. Those areas formerly occupied by government work were reclaimed as family and living space, not to mention the changes I had made outside of the Castle as well. Gardens once tended by Beatrice and Alex were expanded, while a new swing set, slide and sandbox took residence in the southern corner; a patient Josiah awaiting the return of summer to put them to good use.

Content with her breakfast Butterscotch took to her favourite spot of sun upon the floor, whilst an aide delivered a preliminary report from the reformed Imperial Council regarding the expansion of tidal energy sources. This report would be deposited in the Office of the Vicegerent as I already established this day as one of rest. Euphemia knew what she was doing anyway, so it is not as if I am abdicating my duties. Josiah had been seen off to school, leaving the Castle to myself until the arrival of Count Emerson.

Although I had promised myself a day of rest I couldn’t resist the temptation to look over a report for increasing the efficiency of the Imperial Government as well as continued programs centred around the Imperial Diplomatic Corps. The weeks and months ahead were to be a period of reform and while I certainly had my vision in mind it never hurt to seek opinions. One never has all of the answers, nor can one foresee each outcome any given action may result in. One’s own wisdom finds enhancement and refinement in this way.

As the day’s first pot of coffee concluded its brew I knew it would be a further ten minutes before I could remove the fresh pastries from the oven, and while they couldn’t compare to a Nemerian delicacy I am getting closer each day. Taking yet another look at the clock I awaited the sound of tires pressing against pavement and stone, and not once did I miss the former hum of Pyrena.

"There it is," I said to myself with a smile, pulling aside the curtain to see a car coming up the drive. To be certain Emerson had a way of motivating me to remember that there is more to life than work, and while it had been a welcome refuge it had deprived me of so much. I had never fully mourned Joshua's passing, nor had I spent every moment I could with Josiah Raiden. I had closed myself off to avoid the potential for more pain, a chapter in life I am so very happy to leave behind me. "Today will be a good day."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis