Author Topic: A Working Visit to EM  (Read 3263 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
A Working Visit to EM
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »

To: Martin Dawson, CEO of SmartWar

Mr Dawson, as Chair of the Imperial Army of Achkaerin's Planning and Development Committee my job involves ensuring the continued development of the Achkaerin Army. I believe you and your highly regarded company may be in a position to help us in regards to this continued development. I am particularly interested by your Robo-Guard vehicle and would like to if possible see a demonstration of the vehicle and subject to that discuss the purchase of a small number of them.

I await your response.

Signed

Lieutenant General Edwin Wilcox
Chair, Imperial Army Planning and Development Committee

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: A Working Visit to EM
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
Martin Dawson suspected that the SmartWar facility was likely to be pretty under whelming to Wilcox. It was a former industrial estate in a suburb of Ostlake, surrounded by security fencing the units were tiny compared to the huge expanse of EMAC or EMRC, even Henley who made various pieces of motor vehicles for the Army had bigger facilities. SmartWar on the other hand were more about small gadgets and a lot of their work simply required places for software and hardware programming. The RoboGuard project was the exception, three whole work units had been converted into a kind of assembly line where the vehicles were put together with a forth being equipped for the maintenance of the semi-autonomous vehicles. Three of the units where currently wandering up and down the T shaped estate, giving the perception of extra security to anyone wishing to raid the place but also undergoing analysis in the control room of the depot.

Martin's office sat in one of the first units, the former mechanics base was now turned into a luxury office facility of one story. A team of around twenty programmers worked in an open plan office with the tapping of keys being the only sound. Many of the young programmers wore headsets as they worked on various projects ranging from programming the 2nd round of SwarmBots to hardening computer security for various major companies.

Martin had arranged for the brass at Ostlake East to allow the Achkaerin officer to land at the military base, it was only about a twenty minute drive away and the hum of aircraft landing at the airfield was a constant punctuation of the day. Martin's PA, Sarah Aubrey had headed off to pick up their guests and sat waiting in one of the companies four electric cars at the end of the runway. 

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:48:34 AM »
Lieutenant General Edwin Wilcox had never been to East Moreland before and was quite looking forward to the trip, if that was the junior officer accompanying him Flight Leader Mika Saikolov would be quiet for a few moments, the Air Force officer had been chosen to go along because she operated the Achkaerin military's unmanned vehicles and the vehicle they were interested in today was one such thing. Quite why she was in such a perky mood Edwin had no idea. The plane landed and came to a halt. With a nod he led the way off the plane, adjusting his beret as he went, he spotted the waiting car and noting the SmartWar logo on it made a pretty logical deduction that it was for them and led the way over.

"Good afternoon Miss." he said "Lieutenant General Wilcox and Flight Leader Saikolov. We have a meeting with your boss I believe."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
"Yes, Martin's a little frantic at the moment, should this weather hold tomorrow morning Bob, Blinky and Solo come home" she gestured for them to get into the car but then paused, "Oh, I mean he's hoping the EMAC buggy effort brings the last of our Swarmbots home." she wasn't sure if these tiny electronic celebrities had gained as much coverage around the world as they had in Mundus. "It was a project Martin started back in his university days but kind of grew once the team got hold of it, "I'd like to say I understand how it all works but I simply make sure Martin answers his phone, gets to his meetings, changes his socks and remembers to eat." Her boss was well known to be more laid back than many of the defence industry contemporaries but once he got his teeth into a project it became all encompassing. The car moved away silently and skirted the lake, a fient mist hanging over it. It took about twenty minutes to reach SmartWar HQ, probably less impossing than that huge mega hanger at EMAC, or the two mile firing range at EMRC, but it was home to some of the companies brightest engineers and programmers.

"I see what you've come for are already out and about" Sarah pointed to where one of the three RoboGuards being checked out trundled towards them, casually Sarah stepped into its path while it was a good way off, the vehicle didn't deviate but as it neared slowed down, a fient buzz could be heard as its optical system scanned Sarah, determined it was a person, snapped an image and then slowly glided past her before accelerating away once the road ahead was clear. While she might not be a member of the research or programming teams she knew there was always a way of showing off their projects. "Follow me please" she headed into reception and handed them both an ID badge, "Those open all the doors" she swiped her card and held open a door to the large communal programming room. "Martin, this is Lt.Gen Wilcox and Flt.Leader Saikolov."

"Welcome to Ostlake" Martin stood from his desk removed his glasses and shook their hand, "So, I believe you'll have already seen the RoboGuards patrolling outside? I suspect you'll want a closer look?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
"It would be most appreciated if we could take a closer look at them." Edwin said "Though I confess this type of vehicle is somewhat out of my understanding, which is where Ms Saikolov comes in, she's one of our drone operators so has an understanding of the type of thing that the RoboGuard is." it was more than likely that Mika understood precisely what the RoboGuard they'd come across on the way in had done and how it had done it.
"I apologize in advance if I ask too many questions." Mika said "Bit of a robotics geek." she brushed nervously at her hair, she usually felt comfortable in East Moreland but she was always like a kid in a toy store around robots and stuff like it and had a tendency to let her mouth run ahead of her brain at such times. Maybe that explained it.
"We're in your hands Mr Dawson." Edwin said "And quite intrigued to see what the RoboGuard is capable of."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
"Well if you care to follow me" Martin motioned for them to follow him, he crossed the open plan office and walked up a steep flight of stairs to the second level, a kind of veranda jutting out over a quarter of the office space, there he pressed a button on the wall and a mechanical whirling noise began, a metal portion of the roof, no bigger than a skylight appeared, he pressed the button next to it and a buzz began as a metallic ladder unfolded, without a word he clambered up it and motioned for the others to follow. There on the roof was a series of patio furniture arranged as some kind of grandstand, "Please take a seat" Martin pointed to the seats that gave a view of the industrial estate below them, he took out his mobile phone and rang someone and simply said the words, "It's playtime" before hanging up.

Without much warning a plume of blue smoke emerged from the garage doors opposite and four men in combat gear appeared through it joined by four people dressed in sports gear. They hurried off to different points around the area below before a whistle was blown, perfectly on cue a single RoboGuard appeared around the corner and began driving down what one could imagine an urban street. One of the civvies stood from their hiding place, the remote system on the RoboGuards roof appearing to scan towards them, the civilian began walking across the road and the RoboGuard slowed its rooftop system tracking them as they crossed the road before them. The Roboguard waited for them to pass before speeding up again. "That was done totally independent of human input" Martin said, "Not to disimilar a system to driverless cars. The next bit will be interesting." The Roboguard did a three point turn and began to drive back the way it had come. Once more a civvie stood and the results where the same, this time however as the Roboguard slowed to allow the person to cross a combat wearing "bad guy" stood from their covered position, the remote weapon system (RWS) swung towards them and waited nothing happened as the bad guy opened up with a paint ball gun splattering one side of the vehicle in bright orange paint. "Now clearly that's bad news for the poor Roboguard, while it can absorb a certain amount of small arms fire its not impervious to it. The reason it just watched is because it is in safe mode, kind of a safety catch on the RWS, a human operator has to make it weapons free." The shooter scurried off, the RWS following but not firing, Martin took out his phone, "Weapons free please" he spoke and almost instantly the system opened fire with a paint ball gun of its own. "Clearly a nice 7.56mm or even .50cal would be better, sadly we'd get through test subjects rather quickly" the gun scored several hits before the man got out of the weakened range.

The Roboguard resumed its patrol once the threat was gone, this time Martin spoke again. "Let it go fully auto please" Martin sat back and watched as the vehicle turned for a final pass, this time the other hiding test subjects stood almost at the same time, the RWS swung frantically between the six potential targets. One bad guy began shooting as the other two moved to new points, the system started firing after the first round hit it, the paint ball round thumping into the man's chest, the system swung back tracking other targets, it took another hit from a bad guy, returned fire and killed its shooter, next it spun to the civvie, felt a paint ball hit it from the opposite side, calculated its trajectory and swung, identified the shooter as they fired another round and returned fire. The final bad guy had moved close to a civvie and moved to avoid the first round, the RoboGuard began to fire on fully auto tracking its target, the shooter ran behind a civvie and the gun stopped as it swung to keep following the shooter, once the shooter was clear of the civilian it began to shoot again neutralising its target. The two remaining civvies walked calmly towards the Roboguard, the RWS snapped to them and waited, one reached out and touched the vehicle and nothing, the second stood just a meter to one side took out something from their pocket as they touched it. Both stepped back smartly, turned and ran, the automatic gun could be seen following them. Suddenly a "BANG" went off as a flashbang went off that had been stuck to the vehicle. "Now you see had that been a bomb we'd now have a dead Roboguard." Martin said taking a seat and reaching into a box next to the chair, he took out a standard issue East Moreland rifle and opened fire on the RoboGuard from the roof top while the smoke from the explosive device masked him, even though he ducked as soon as his three round burst had hit the metallic windscreen. Almost instantly Martin felt the five paint balls returned by the Roboguard smack him in the chest lighter than one would expect thanks to him being at the extreme of its pneumatic range. "See, distorted sight, elevated target and I'd still be dead." Martin rubbed his chest smearing orange paint on his t-shirt.

"Now I'll not boast this is a fool proof system, we've done similar tests hundreds of times creating different scenario's, the devices current rules of engagement are that it can automatically track and engage targets who have shot at it, currently this is one target at a time, the system will calculate which shooter is the biggest threat depending on where the RoboGuard is being hit. The system gets 85% accuracy, frankly today I'm surprised none of our civvies are dead" he chuckled, "Which is why we do not recommend at the moment operating it in automatic mode, the East Moreland Army in the Alps operate it much like a aerial drone, remotely driven and the weapons system under the drivers command. They have however on a number of occasions let them go free but maintained a lockdown on the weapon, the RWS being controlled by the operator. So far they have six confirmed Borlander kills. To date there has been one destroyed and that was in a scenario similar to the final test with the flashbang where the device had come across what was believed to be a family out hiking and a child of around 12 seemed to approach the vehicle with what the operator thought was a camera, it turned out to be a bomb that was thrown under the wheels. The vehicle was immobilised but the RWS was still operating when a recovery team arrived twenty minutes later. I'm happy to answer any questions."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:56:18 PM »
Both Edwin and Mika were impressed but both showed it to different extents, Edwin sat with a smile on his face, while Mika stood up to get a better look at the RoboGuard, being the gadget head type she was intrigued by the thing on more than one level.
"That is one very impressive machine." Edwin said, he could see the effectiveness of the RoboGuard and how it would be of use within the Achkaerinese military "Miss Saikolov you're the drone operator what do you think?"

"It's remarkable" Mika said, she was taking in the RoboGuard from where she stood she turned to Martin "I know you've mentioned  7.56mm's and .50cal's, but can it take other weapons loadouts? and what about how it sees - for example night vision and thermal vision? What's its range?" she realized she may have been babbling "Sorry just a bit of a geek sometimes." 

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
Martin guided them back down to the office environment and sorted everyone out a smoothie or two before taking his own seat." Theoretically it could have a grenade launcher on top however tests show that these are obviously less accurate than gunfire. We also then have issues with reloading, most remote vehicle mounted launchers hold around ten rounds, therefore once used someone would have to manually reload the thing. With guns the remote weapons system can hold around 800 .50cal rounds and around double the 7.56mm stuff. More accurate and more sustainable. In terms of imagary the current system has the ability to switch between three modes, normal light, passive night vision and thermal, it can use different modes on cameras facing different directions. As for range the thing uses a hybrid engines, best we've had is 51 hours of continuous running."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »
OOC- sorry this seems to have slipped the net

Edwin looked at Mika, she was more the expert of the two Achkaerinese officers and was clearly impressed with the RoboGuard, she'd taken a close look at the machine and was now sipping her smoothie deep in thought. It was an excellent package wasn't it? 51 hours of continuous running in one go was pretty good, decent armament as well. She glanced at Edwin and nodded, she was satisfied with the machine and with Martin's answers.
"Ok then." Edwin said "Ms Saikolov is there anything else you want to ask?"
"No." Mika said "Mr Dawson has been highly informative."
"I agree so I guess we move on to the practicalities of an order don't we?" Edwin said consulting his notebook to make sure he got all the fine details right "Having seen the demonstration and heard your answers to our questions I can safely say that Achkaerin's military is interested in placing an order, we'd be looking to order around sixteen RoboGuard's."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:40:06 AM »
Martin was pleased that it looked like they'd be getting an order now all that was left to do was discuss the finer details. "We charge $600,000 per unit, however for orders of that size we'd be willing to reduce it to $570,000. Add to that the deal will need two further points, the first is that you do not seek to alter the software of the machines, the second being that we will provide software updates at no additional cost for the next five years." Martin knew Achkaerin were Uppsala signatories so getting an export permit would not be difficult. "We'll naturally throw in some kind of training package to get your operators up and running, I can't see it being an issue bringing them here what with the various agreements between our two nations. Does this sound reasonable?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
"Very reasonable to me however I hope you won't mind if I make a phone call to confirm this." Edwin said, he got up and stepped out into the corridor for a few moments no doubt calling Field Marshall Dawson and Minister of Defence Adam Sheppard to get the final confirmation and authorization to do the deal considering the figures that Martin had given. It wasn't as long as other deals that the military had done over the years with Edwin returning with a smile on his face.

"I've spoken with my superiors and the Ministry of Defence" Edwin said "The terms and price are acceptable. Just let us know when you want our operators for training."