Author Topic: Something of a Homecoming  (Read 10766 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Something of a Homecoming
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »

To, His Holiness Pope Peter II

You are cordially invited for a state visit to the Holy Empire of Achkaerin to discuss diplomatic and other matters, be advised that the visit will extend over a period of days as we wish to tailor your schedule for the visit to coincide with various activities designed to aid the talks and for your own recreation. I think this could be viewed in some quarters as something of a homecoming for Your Holiness. I hope you will accept this invitation and should you do so I will have a welcoming committee awaiting your arrival at Valtheim International Airport.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
Re: Something of a Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »

The Ecclesiastical State

To our friends, brothers and sisters of Christ and of ther faiths in Achkaerin and specifically Emperor Peter Azurewind

I Pope Peter II of the Celestian Catholic Church and the Ecclesiastical State would more than like to meet to discuss the potential for renewed cooperation between us two, considering our shared historical past as wells as joyful and struggling memories. Our history together spans a long way since the beginning of the crsading era and perhaps even longer before than depending on how one sees it. It is now more important that ever that the Ecclesiastical State and the Holy Empire of Achkaerin remain as united and firm in a strong grip as possible. This is also my home country as we of speak of it, it has been a while since I visited my favorite ice cream parlour for instance down by the main street in Valtheim, I'm sure you're familiar with it your majesty...I do hope to see my beloved friend, father and mentor Bishop Martin Deed there, there's a surprise waiting for him...and oh, the dear Science Minister and sister Katherine Deed.

Sincerely, Take Care and God Bless,

Pope Peter II of the Celestian Catholic Church and the Ecclesiastical State

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
Nettie Taylor, the foreign affairs advisor to the Royal Family of Achkaerin, paced around the arrivals terminal of Valtheim International Airport, she'd finished her meeting with the Cabinet early and after calling the Emperor she'd made her way to the airport this way they guaranteed a welcoming committee for the Pope even if Peter was late in getting there. She continued pacing as other cars arrived outside, all according to plan, then finally the Emperor Peter Azurewind arrived, on the last minute or close enough to the last minute as they could see the Pope's plane landing, Peter and Nettie started their journey out of the terminal and onto the tarmac, a parade of Achkaerinese soldiers from the Icebridge Fusiliers stood waiting while a band of the Imperial Navy stood ready waiting for the Pope to descend from the plane.

"Did she take the job?" Nettie asked, referring to the meeting Peter had been in while she'd been waiting
"She did." Peter said, they took their places at the far end of the aisle between troops and band that had the plane at the other "Ready?"
"Always." Nettie said, the pair had spent hours going over what they wanted to get from the talks that they were going to have with the Pope but those talks formed only a small part of this visit first things first they had planned to showcase some of Achkaerin's success stories, doing so to give the Pope the opportunity to view a few projects, visit some businesses and locations, meet with government officials and of course formalize agreements with the Emperor. This was the advantage of multiple day visits over flying visit diplomacy it was much more comfortable and much more relaxed.

The plane's door opened, Peter and Nettie walked fowards, the soldiers snapped to attention and the band started to play the ES national anthem.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »
His Holiness Pope Peter II a.k.a 'The Young Pope" was travelling in one of the most secure and defined royal transports in Mundus, namely the VC-25, along with a cadre of clergy, other staff as well as a full press corps who were sitting in the back. This was supposed to be a special state visit, a major reason being that the Holy Empire of Achkaerine was after all his homeland and what better opportunity and time wouldn't it be than to accept this heartful invitation from the very dear Emperor who had the same name such as himself, what were the odds TYP was thinking. Considering Achkaerin's Catholics finally managed to implant a Pope in Celestis' Vatican for the first time ever since the first Pope came to be with the name Peter, the first of his name too...it was thus essential for TYP to facilitate and maintain the very warm relations that were experienced between both countries which had its roots from the Crusades and to an extend further beyond that...he would also finally get to see his old mentor and adoptive father Bishop Martin "Marty" Deed as well as his adoptive sister and government official Catherine "Cathy" Deed.

After many hours of flying, the aircraft made its way to the tarmac where the Achkaerinese hosts prepared themselves to receive the holy entourage. TYP, feeling slightly nervoud yet confident enough, waited happily and steadily for the door to open; in came a bright sunlight and the Ecclesiastical anthem could be heard being played by the iconic Imperial Navy while the Icebridge Fusiliers stood on each side of the red carpet with their pride and glory raised high up. TYPcouldn't have felt more prouder on that day as he descended from the plane along with his close staff.

TYP approached enthusiastically the Emperor and Foreign Affairs Advisor, "A good day to you Pete, and to you as well Nettie...Oh how great it is to come home once more. I wonder what has changed since my ascenscion to the Ecclesiastical throne, only makes tuings more exciting once I do find out hehe. So I read the program in a brief manner, seems my homeland has prepared a few events to take place each day I'm here, how wonderful!"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
"We hope so." Peter said as the two men and Nettie walked past the paraded soldiers and then into the terminal "As for what has changed we shall have to see about that though I imagine there will be a fair few things of interest to you. As you will have gathered from the itinerary we proposed you and I will not necessarily be seeing that much of each other I believe we have an official meal and talks when you're here in Valtheim in two days time and then a day at Crystalline Castle on the last day of your visit. I believe however that you know your initial guide quite well."

How Peter had hidden the smile he didn't know because waiting for them was the Minister of Science and Technology Kathryn Deed, she and the Pope had done a fair bit of growing up together.
"Minister Deed I believe you know His Holiness the Pope." Peter said
"Well he looks vaguely familiar can't really place him though." Kathryn said but she was unable to hide the grin or the mischievous look in her eye "Sorry couldn't resist. Is hugging the Pope against protocol?"
"If hugging's against protocol I'd imagine taking him on a helicopter ride is as well." Nettie said, she glanced towards the Pope's entourage they might have underestimated the size of it.
"I will see you in two days time Your Holiness." Peter said extending his artificial right hand - his whole right arm was quite the prosthesis, hence the nickname 'the cyborg Emperor', he'd lost his actual right arm in a terrorist attack a couple of years earlier "Hopefully by the time we next see each other we will have much to discuss."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
"That we'll do Your Highness, that we do indeed..." the Pope said while shaking the impressive hand of the infamous Cyborg Emperor himself. After muttering to himself that Pete had quite a sturdy, firm grip he directed his attention to someone he hadn't seen for quite a while, the beloved little half-sister of his who was nowadays the Science Minister. "Hey Kathy, how's my little sista doing after all of this time we haven't seen each other eh?" TYP gave her a big, warm hug; she was after all one of the few family members he actually got and knew, well at least alive, alongside the their Bishop father and Sister Arilda who acted as TYP's mom he wished she was in reality.

He turned around as he looked towards the group that came along on the trip, "Yeah I know perhaps a tiny bit of too many people but I figured that I would need all of this so-called expertise in secular matters so I don't and won't need to embarras myself in front of you, Dad, Achkaerin, Ecclesiastical State...Everyone and Everything I guess...*sigh*...Sometimes I doubt my ability to be a 'perfect' world leader, no wonder the past pontiffs focused mainly on theological matters while delegating the actual secular work to so-called experts found within loyal ministers...I mean thanks to my crazy statements and actions...I'm known as 'The Young Weasel Pope' hahahaha...quite enjoying that nickname, quite thrifty, don't you think? Sounds like a rapp artist's of some sort..." He told Katherine while boarding the designated chopper, the rest of the entourage doing the same.

A few moments later the chopper flew its way to whatever destination they were heading to. "So...come on, tell me more about what's going on here...can't trust the media all the time with their sense of 'fake news' *chuckles* Kidding naturally, but good to have a set of fresh testimony from someone close...what about your romance life? At least you regular folks have that luxury unlike us clergy-men and women, but I suppose it's in a symbolic sense being married to the Church and God hehe. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:32:09 PM by The Young Pope »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Kathryn giggled slightly as the helicopter headed on its way You haven't changed one bit have you? she thought, he'd always been like this and it seemed his little habit of impulsiveness was getting him in trouble. Not that such things surprised her.
"What romance life?" Kathryn said "I spend virtually every day getting lobbied by companies and universities asking me to make this case or support this project. Then there's the late night Senate sessions, there have been plenty of those lately thanks to world events, then there's constituency surgeries, office hours. Not much time to have a life." she glanced out of the window of the helicopter it would take a bit of time but it would get them there.

"Our first stop is over on Meridian Island, you remember that's home to the Faejeon refugee's right? Well there's been far greater integration over the last twelve years thanks mainly to the Mossflower outreach programme, today's the drop in at the programme so we're whisking you out there to see it then you get to spend the afternoon in Ashwood with me and Dad, and yes he is cooking tonight so you'll be staying for dinner." 

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
"No time for a romance life?! Nonsense my dear little sister...Remember, don't let work get in the way of having fun, I'm sire you can let your assistants handle your chores for even one day. How about you take out a few of your girlfriends and have a night out, doesn't that sound nice and cool? Just be easy on the male strippers, hehe y'know what they-...Oh my...I'm talking too much again? Sorry..." TYP said with a red face and slightly awkward tone, old dogs do never learn new tricks he told himself.

"Meridian Island and getting to enjoy dad's cooking again? Oh boy, sure sounds more than exciting enough...A suitable moment to surprise him with my gift, one of the greatest honors in the world as a matter of fact and something that should have bestowed upon him ages ago. Hope he hasn't forgotten about him helping me out in the masses hehe. If you don't mind I would like to rest my eyes for a moment?"

With that said, TYP tried to have a clear mind while dozing off but eventually the laws regarding naps kicks in and soon he automatically rests his head on Katherine's shoulder and cuddles up even closer to her, something that was common back in the old days before both were quite, innocent, so to day. "Ahh...remember the first time I placed my head on your shoulder and dosed off? That was the day Marty asked me to pick you up from school and babysit you haha, ended up wathcing Babette's Feast; wouldn't call it exactly the ultimate early teen movie but hey our Marty's a bishop and has standards I suppose...it ended up with me dozing off on one of the scenes where they have their feast, always gets me in the end.

Look at both of us now...a Science Minister working for the Achkaerinese Emperor and the Pope of the Celestian Catholic Church...always underestimated myself, thought I would only end up being a small parish priest, possible highest ranking...eh an Bishop like Dad but you guys believed in me, especially Sister Arilda and yeah...can't still get over it y'know...Leader of a large country and a pivotal faith in Mundus' history. Hey I suppose you'd like for me to invite you over some day, wanna check out the Vatican Observatory and the Not-so-Secretive-Yet-still called-Secret Archives? Got cool, dusty scrolls and books of all kinds, useful for research I dare say and things that could unravel the great mysteries of...Nah, just kidding with you but yeah...welcome any time..."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
It was a few minutes later that the helicopter touched down on Meridian Island Kathryn led the Pope off the helicopter, once the rotors had stopped spinning, they'd landed outside what was a former High School that now served as a drop in complex for the Faejeon Tribe. As usual the place was buzzing with a multitude of activities, there was office space for casework, leisure areas for various games, educational classes as part of the outreach programme, a canteen and a whole lot of other things as well. Waiting for them at the entrance was Lady Constance Silvermist, she was the wife of the Marquis of Mossflower and Icebridge and the mother of the Achkaerinese ambassador to Lodja.

"Lady Constance Silvermist may I introduce His Holiness the Pope." Kathryn said
"A pleasure to meet you." Constance said

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
"Oh my, I've nearly forgotten how lovely this place is..." The moment the helicopter touched down on the pad, his holiness was too eager to just step off and see the current state of development. Before Kathryn had the opportunity to lead him to the designated first spot of interest, there was something TYWP wanted to show her.

"Now don't get freaky or anything, but I've discovered something that I'm able to do, aside from the occasional healing powers that I got from the first miracle you remember so dearly...a gift from the Lord himself perhaps? I like to call it 'Angel Face', basically I turn on my entire charms, stare into someone's eyes and basically utter 'What is your innermost desire?' It seems to lower the inhibitions of said person, inducing them to reveal their true nature, their darkest secrets and desires...quite useful in confessional booths when trying to squeeze every kind of sin from scared Catholics hehe...I don't know, perhaps as a keen scientist such as yourself you could try to give some scientific explanation to all of this as well? It doesn't work all the time though, quite strange and awkward I must admit when that happens. Anyway, let me show you a, hopefully, successful demonstration."

He took her by the hand, and after analyzing the presence of the people, found a security guard standing in the pathway. They stood in front of him and with every courage he could summon...put on his 'Angel Face'. "What is your innermost desire?" while totally sounding as charming as possible including the look on his face. At first it was what TYWP feared, he embarrassed himself in front of Kathryn, but a few seconds later...the guard...

"I-I...I want to be with my mommy, makes tasty pancakes..." the guard uttered in a pseudo-zombie tone. TYWP of course thought that it was quite...

"Lame! Y-you're serious, wanna spend time with...you're a momma's boy? Wonderful...here I was hoping to hear actual salacious stuff...where's the sex? The drugs? Oh nevermind, carry on with your duties and you can have some pancakes later on I suppose..."

With a snap of the finger, the pair left the guard who 'woke' up from that trance and looked confused at first. "Moms and Pancakes...dear Lord." TYWP disappointingly uttered.

At last Kathryn introduced him to the beautiful Lady Constance Silvermist. "Likewise me Lady...am glad that you've received me here today to show what Meridian island has to offer hehe, can't wait to meet the participants in these mentioned activities and...WHAT...IS...YOUR...INNERMOST...DESIRE?" TYWP then for a second turned his back, faced Kathryn and mouthed "Sorry" with a smile, before turning his gaze back. "So...does it involve moms and pancakes as well?"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:19:53 AM by The Young Pope »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
"Actually it involves not being screwed around with by people like you who think I'll answer a personal question when I hardly know them." Constance said almost instantly her arms folded, behind the Pope Kathryn was trying really hard not to giggle. What would be regarded as cheap tricks like that relied on a few things, generally a lot of intimidation on the part of the questioner and plenty of weak will on the part of the person being asked the question, classic psychology but Constance wasn't weak willed and as someone who worked in business she wasn't easily intimidated. Constance took a deep breath and showed them inside, first up was the canteen.

"I don't know precisely what you know about the Faejeon so I'll try and paraphrase." Constance said "They're refugee's having fled from Abydos's desert about three hundred to four hundred years ago due to persecution. It's more than a little disgraceful, these are people who ethnicly are the same as anyone native to that country yet because they display tribal tattoo's they're apparently different. They all have stories and they have their shared history. Now how would you like to spend some time speaking to them and maybe get a game in?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 10:49:45 PM »
"My apologies Lady Constance, wasn't my intention to offend your honor and dignity of the sorts...had to just test something." With that episode out of the way, TYWP and Kathryn gladly followed Constance's direction, while he took the opportunity to adress something to his lil' sister. "Well, this time it certainly failed but trust me as it would otherwise according to previous notes I took whenever I tried this stunt, truly fascinates me to the core...hope to one day discover this mysterious ability I have and why it sometimes works and not respectively."

TYWP's hunger sure became intensified when they entered the canteen area, getting touched in the process by the Lady's talk about the tribe he was going to interact with. "Of course I would love to get to know these people through a game or two...their story thanks to you has touched my heart and soul, wouldn't mind wanting to get more info and perhaps something could be done about them returning to their true homeland one day, where they rightfully belong?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
"Try asking them where they rightfully belong." Constance said "The answer is no longer the same as it might have been if this had happened within the last century. The longer the exile the more the greater the integration and the more necessary the need to let go lest you be consumed."
"And we have a very on off relationship with Abydos." Kathryn said "It basically depends on the subject. Though I don't think they ever got over Vanora." she half smiled she'd sat in enough cabinet meetings to hear that countries name come up a lot though maybe not as much recently as it had done before. "However this project may soon come to stand as the blueprint for something else."
"Already had the phone call." Constance said "Well my husband did."
"Marble Palace or Liberty Hall?" Kathryn asked, basically who had raised it? the Royal Family or the elected government?
"The Palace." Constance said "So what's next when you've seen here?"
"Going across to Ashwood spending the night and then the IFF tomorrow morning with Artaxia University in the afternoon." Kathryn said
"That'll be fun." Constance said

Kathryn's phone rang she glanced at it.
"Excuse me it's my boss." she said "I'll just be a minute."
"We'll do the rounds and meet you out front when we're done." Constance said

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »
"I understand, thanks for the additional info, enables me to better understand their plight. In any case, we shall definitely have a chat with them." TYP followed Constance as they set off to finally meet this intriguing, exiled Abydosian tribe whose major difference lie in their estensive usage of tattooes.

Pope Peter first spoke with one of the elders, "Good day and God Bless to you your most honorable senior member of the Faejeon, you probably already know me as Pope Peter II of the Celestian Catholic Church, King-Bishop of the Ecclesiastical State...oh and I almost forgot, something new and fancy due to recent events, the Prince of Weasles hence my altered nickname 'The Young Weasel Pope'...adorable little creatures they are. In any case, I bring with me many gifts from far and wide, which is to my hope that it'll satisfy your people. Please do take a walk with me, I want to know as much as possible about your people's history, traditions, culture and a bit of everything...introduce me to your family and friends as well, perhaps we could do something fun, wouldn't you say, like a game of some sorts, a traditional sport from your tribe?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
Constance managed to stifle a giggle at the thought of the Pope playing the traditional Faejeon sport. As the Faejeon elder explained the history of the tribe to the Pope, explaining their native belief about the spirits of nature and how that was the equivalent of their God and how their complicated history with the Abydonian Throne which stemmed from a refusal to recognize the divinity of the Pharaoh was linked to this belief, the refusal had  resulted in the Faejeon being on the receiving end of Pharaoh's wrath, some of the tribe had been sold into slavery, others killed and some had escaped and made their way to Meridian Island with a little help of course but the stories were well known and recorded in the tribes history, the Elder went on to inquire as to whether the Pope would like a copy of a book that took an in depth look at the tribe's history.

While the elder had been talking Constance had headed outside and dragged Kathryn back inside there was no way she was going to want to miss this, despite what had earlier been said.
"So what's the big thing?" Kathryn said as the Elder finished his conversation with the Pope
"Well the Pope here." Constance said "Has wondered if he might try a traditional sport of the Faejeon Tribe."
"We should have sold tickets to this." Kathryn said unable to stop grinning "Come on."

The Elder led them to what had been the schools sports hall, it was a large, high area inside as one would expect. Originally it had been a basketball arena the width of two courts in size and two courts long. But now the dividing walls between the courts were gone, the court markings were gone, the baskets were gone, instead at each end of the enlarged court, sort of where the three point line would have been there was a blue circle with a ten metre diameter in the middle of that there was a frame with the dimensions of a field hockey goal, the rest of the playing area was dominated by ramps, half pipes, rails and other such things associated with roller skating and skateboarding there were two red lines about half way into each half that ran the width of the court, the edges of the court up the walls as it were, were now half of a half pipe. A game was in progress two teams of five players, each player wearing inline skates on their feet, gloves on their hands, protective pads and a helmet that had a protective visor - why the visor? Well that was because of what the players were carrying, a racket similar to that used in tennis or squash which they were using to hit a ball that was the size of a squash ball but with a bit more bounce. The two sets of players were wearing two different colours of bibs so as to distinguish the teams while the referee who wore black was also skating around, the referee had help from assistants who watched the game from vantage points.

"This is Light ball." Kathryn said "Or at least a modern version of the traditional Faejeon game. Think of it as a cross between inline skating, squash or tennis and hockey. It's a fast paced game and always has been, it's made a name for itself in Achkaerin thanks to our annual University Challenge Cup, which is when the various universities compete against each other in some sports and other activities, Mossflower University nearly always win the Lightball tournament because it's a Faejeon game and most Faejeon who go to University go to Mossflower. Away from that there's a national amateur league that compete for the Princess Cup every year. So do you want me to grab someone who knows the rules so you can have a go?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
The Pope was once more deeply touched by the Elder's story about the tragic fate that befell on his entire tribe and how many of its members were forced to flee in exile; in gratitude, TYWP requested natually that he'd received this special book of theirs. Afterwards the Elder led him into the school's sports hall where there were many players who were playing this traditonal sport, captivating the Pontiff's amazement and wonder. It sure looked a bit like Tennis and after Katherine proceeded to make some introductionary words...

"You're telling me that 1/3 of it is like Tennis? That's amazing, as a matter of fact I'd like to call myself a professional you seem...Sign me up my dear sis, I'm ready and waiting for everything!"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 11:51:23 PM »
Kathryn disappeared, returning a few moments later with a young Faejeon woman who wore a pair of black shorts and a dark blue t-shirt, she had her pads on already with her racket under the arm that she had her helmet in, her skates were in her other hand.
"Your Holiness may I introduce you to Floria Silvana" Kathryn said "She's a bit of a success story with the tribe and is allegedly the best lightball player in the country."
"Pleased to meet you Your Holiness." Floria said
"The Pope's interested in giving the game a try." Kathryn said
"Well my team's up next." Floria said, the game that had been going on had finished "So let's see if we can him some equipment and I'll talk him through it. But I think you should both play."

Finding the Pope equipment was relatively simple as it was similar to being at a bowling alley, just find the right size of skate, gloves, pads and helmet and then let him choose a racket. Floria as would be expected from someone who played away from the drop in sessions had her own equipment. Eventually the Pope was ready to give the game a go. Floria skated next to him around the perimeter of the court so that they could warm up a little, plus it gave her the opportunity to explain the mechanics of the game to the man.

"It's a fast paced contact sport but is remarkably simple to understand." Floria said "Each team has five players usually in the following positions - Keeper, Guard, Centre, Wing, Forward, but there are a variety of different formations. The Keeper as one would guess defends the goal and they are the only player allowed within the circle around the goal, they're also the only player allowed to catch the ball during free play, you may have noticed that they use a slightly different glove than the rest of the team. The Guard is the equivalent of a defender, centre and wing play the equivalent of midfield and forward is as one would expect a forward. A game lasts for five periods of thirty minutes, each side has three time outs for the match plus an extra one if we go to an over time period.

In terms of the rules regarding the ball, you can't catch the ball with your racket and let it lie on it but anything else is ok - forehand, backhand, volley etc, if the ball ends up rolling on the floor then you have to scoop it up with your racket. Also no more than five touches of the ball while stationary at any one time. In terms of scoring you get 10 points for a standard shot which is if I score a goal from anywhere in front of my teams red line on the court, you get 15 points for scoring from behind your teams red line, you get 20 points for scoring while doing an aerial or grind up from a ramp or rail, there's also a bonus 10 points to any of those if you score from behind the opposition goal, that's why the goals have no nets but they use sensors, lights and sirens instead. Most of the fouls are obvious enough as they bear similarities to hockey if you get fouled in front of the oppositions red line then you get a free hit which is sort of like a free kick in football, get fouled behind their red line and it's a penalty shot. The referee can sin bin you for five minutes if you commit a foul or they can send you off, ejecting you from the game, if you commit a serious foul, obviously try to avoid that."

They continued warming up, now doing some basic swings and getting the hang of passing the ball, which was the opposite to the tennis principle, in that game the idea was to, within a set of rules, get the ball past the opponent in this sport you had to pass the ball to each other in a similar way. Kathryn having finally got some equipment was also warming up now.

"Where do you want us to play?" Kathryn asked
"Jenny's in goal and Sara's playing guard" Floria said "Kathryn you play centre, Your Holiness can play forward, I'll play wing. Any questions?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
"None at all my dear, I'd say we can begin right now!" The Pope sort of got the hang of the sport after a few minutes of warming up and listening to the instructions that were laid in front of him, now it was a matter of whether that would translate well in practical terms. All ten players in both teams made themselves and positioned in the rights spots according to their role, his holiness who was honored by being bestowed the forward role, felt a little nervous and excited, he hoped that the outcome of this fun match wouldn't end too badly.

With the referee blowing the whistle, the match came off to a start. In the beginning, Peter had a bit of trouble balancing on the skat, occasionally falling down in the process; it was quite fast-paced as well, with the opposing team managing to score from time to time. Slowly but sure as the match went on, the Pope started to get better with few misshappenings with the skates, dodging and managing to breath the opponent's defenses much better and even securing a few goals for the entire team.

During the break, Pete sat down with his team and discussed new strategies and tactics. "Seems our 'friends' have really taken a step up in their game, and the entire defence of theirs' like a hedgehog; any ideas?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Floria wiped the sweat off her brow and ran a hand through her hair but the physical exertion meant nothing, this was her game, she smiled,
"Time they were reminded why Floria's the best player in the country." Sara said
"All right." Floria said, it was referring to something she hadn't done yet because Kathryn and the Pope were playing but they seemed fast enough and according to Kathryn the Pope had played some tennis once upon a time "Just keep skating and doing what you've been doing so far, we're going to take their legs from under them in this next period."

With the game restarting soon after they went back to skating, it was fast paced, it was tight and it was competitive, eventually though came the moment Floria was waiting for, a lobbed clearance dropped in front of Sara near their teams red line, Floria skated around quickly she'd been sitting deeper for a few minutes, Sara took the sting out of the ball with one touch of her racket and then gently hit it back up towards the ceiling, all of this to set the stage, Floria watched it bounce once as she sized up her options and then fired what in tennis would be a top spin forehand down the court, it was pacy and even if it didn't lead to anything immediately it would have an affect, the next time it was a slice, then back to top spin. Floria's plan was obvious hit hard, hit deep and put spin on it to exhaust the opposition with a minimum of effort. It would take time but she knew it would yield results. Eventually it did and the scoreboard started to reflect it, each pass and goal getting so much easier with a little more space. Floria smiled as the game clock ticked down until eventually the final whistle went.

"That's exhausting." Kathryn said as they skated off the court.
"Nothing else quite like it though." Floria said
"True enough." Kathryn said she glanced at the Pope "So shall we head for Ashwood?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
Satisfied with the game's outcome, Peter took the opportunity to congratulate the opposing team for a fun and tough game, before thanking his own team for giving everything they got, including Floria as he shook her hand. "Thanks, this was quite fun and exciting, we should definitely set up a new time, venue and meet up again hehe." The Pope drank up every ounce of water in his bottle, by damn he hadn't moved his ass these past few weeks, the game definitely indicated that it was time once more to head straight back into the gym, as well as the occasional Tennis playing he conducted with the clergy.

"Absolutely, I'll just get changed...and a shower beforehand."

Once that was done, Katherine and Peter were on their way to Daddy. "So...how's Ashwood these days? Still the same old, quiet character?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »
"To be honest I don't know." Kathryn said "I'm the Senator for Avalon, so I'm on the other side of the country from Ashwood really. I don't get back as much as I would like to but that's the price of politics. Still I do manage a decent amount of time with Dad, when he's not busy."

It was a couple of hours later, thanks mainly to a helicopter ride and then a journey by car that they arrived in Ashwood, the Cathedral, the central point of the town loomed quite large but the home of Dad as it were was right across the road from it.

Moments like this brought back memories for Kathryn as she unlocked the door and led the Pope inside, the sound of a voice was emanating from the kitchen.
"He still practices sermons while cooking." Kathryn said, with a slightly amused smile, they made their way to the kitchen where standing with his back to them cooking was her father Bishop Martin Deed. Kathryn knocked rather loudly on the kitchen door.
"You're a little late aren't you?" Martin asked
"Had a go at playing Lightball." Kathryn said
"I see." Martin said "Well dinner will be ready in about an hour."
"I'll pay a visit to the shower and grab a change of clothes then." Kathryn said

Martin nodded and looked at the Pope, his one time student.
"So have you figured out being Pope yet?" Martin asked

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:37 PM »
"Gotta tell you something Marty like how I told an Miteravian Attaché once whose Father happened to be a Catholic priest...If there's one thing I figured out as a Pope yet is that there are some things that never change no matter the variations that preceed and follow...I'm talking about the Papacy and its duties itself; ever since the First Peter of his name embarked on this journey that Jesus entrusted it to him and 266 successors including myself; spread the faith, defend the faith, rule a large secular hold, trying to act like an excellent example of how a holy person should...well hasn't turned out perfectly but we Pontiffs at least get the job done...One has gotta have the balls (literally and figuratively speaking *chuckles*, sorry it's just these little, hahaha...ok I'm serious now) and will to do this, every day I'm learning something new and fascinating, some of which I never thought it would occur, likewise with underestimating certain aspects of it...

Point is that these were the things you always talked about every time we would sit at this kitchen table together, before all of...of this" Peter said, pointing at his attire. "I should have taken those words seriously otherwise I wouldn't have made a fool out of myself a few times, whether on Bleeter or live television. But as every other human, we learn by our mistakes and when it comes to me, the hard way. I haven't gotten the chance to ever thank you properly...Which is why I'm going to bestow you something, something which should have already been done and frankly I don't know why my predecessors haven't done so yet." Peter said with a few tears, wiping them away instantly;It was at this moment that Katherine came back, all newly showered and smelling good..."I Pope Peter II, also known as the Young Weasel Pope, hereby proclaim you as one of the New Cardinals and Princes of the Church!" Peter exclaimed in a proud manner, "Yeah, of course forgot gotta do all of the ceremonial stuff, but but we'll get to that in a few months...so how does it sound my old mentor? Cardinal Martin Deed, Prince of the Church?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
"I'd be honoured" Martin said he looked around at where Kathryn was leaning against the door frame.
"Just don't expect him to stop reigning you in when you need it." Kathryn said "But I think we're both used to that by now." she giggled just as the oven started beeping
"That'll be dinner ready." Martin said, he smiled
"I'll lay the table." Kathryn said "And you can tell the Pope here your big news...well the big news that just got eclipsed anyway."
"We can do that over the table." Martin said
"What wine do you want?" Kathryn asked as she laid the small ish kitchen table for the three of them.
"Surprise me." Martin said, he was getting the meat out of the oven and starting to ferry the various pots of things such as vegetables and salad over to the table.
"No complaints." Kathryn said she went off to the wine cellar to make a choice.

"Have a seat please." Martin said to the Pope as he put the wine glasses on the table "So what have you thought of your homecoming so far?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »
It was as if Peter, or should one say his actual name Nicholas, travelled back in time to those loving memories. Every evening he used to come home after a long day of the dragging seminary education, with Kathryn and Marty already prepared the dinner, as they all then sat down for a hour or two, having a friendly and welcoming conversation about anything at all, combined with the warmth and aromas from the food itself...Those were the old days and now things weren't exactly as they were before, whether it was for the better or not, it remained to be seen.

"Y'know as they say, Home is where you go to find solace from the ever changing chaos, to find love within the confines of a heartless world, and to be reminded that no matter how far you wander, there will always be something waiting when you return...That's definitely how I'm feeling right now and am greatful for that, everything so far has been fun and enlightning, which is what makes this Holy Empire like no other place in Mundus, I can't put an exact finger on it but there's definitely something that can't be missed at all." Peter said, taking a bite of the food, which delighted his pallets and mood even more.

"So, what's this big surprise you're talking about?" the Pope asked smiling.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
"Let's see what you remember of the Christian history I taught you." Martin said "As you may recall Church history has it that following the events of Pentecost the Apostles divided the known world between them and journeyed out to proclaim the Gospel. For example your namesake Peter eventually travelled south through a former Empire before eventually ending up on Albion where Ecclesiastical State is presently located. Achkaerin being within the known world as far as the Vanoran's were concerned was we believe visited by one of the Apostles as part of this proclaiming of the Good News - James the son of Zeberdee is the Apostle we believe brought Christianity to Achkaerin's shores.

So what does this have to do with any surprise news I have? Well if you go south east from here you'll come across a place called Santiago. It's one of the other two Bishopric's in Achkaerin, as you may know we have Ashwood, Santiago and to the north of here Midvale. The Bishop of Santiago recently passed away and I have been asked to take it over, In a few days the removal van turns up here to move my things down there at which point I will be the Bishop of Santiago not the Bishop of Ashwood, but you'll have the chance to see the famed Cathedral for yourself tomorrow at a very special event."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
"That sounds wonderful Marty!" Pope Peter II said "To think God's way of saying thanks for your dedicated service after all these years happen to come right now; Becoming the new Bishop of Santiago and a Cardinal at the same time, this is simply not a mere coincidence as the Lord's message indicates good tidings are upon us all. It shall be interesting tomorrow to witness the Cathedral while the special event's undergoing...Ah James, son of Zebedee's the first of the apostles to be martyred; As for Pete the first, have to hand it to him dying at the hands of an authoritarian feminine-dominated society upside down, I give him a large salute." Peter said jokingly.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
The rest of the dinner passed in friendly conversation, it was about two hours later that Martin and Kathryn were doing the washing up, they were alone in the kitchen.
"So when exactly were you going to tell me?" Martin asked, looking at his daughter
"You know?" Kathryn asked
"I'm your father of course I know." Martin said "Why is it so difficult for you to tell me?"
"I don't know." Kathryn said "It just feels that I'm letting you down."
"Why would your being gay let me down?" Martin asked
"It wasn't necessarily you I was worried about." Kathryn said
"And you're worried I assume?" Martin asked
"More about tomorrow afternoon, there's a stop at the University of Artaxia." Kathryn said "And that's where Kit works."

Martin handed Kathryn a plate, he was washing and she was drying,
"Look." he said "Just take it one step at a time, you're my daughter and I support you whatever you know that. Forget what others think just be yourself."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
TYP actually had pretty good hearing as he had just laid down in bed preparing to get what was hopefully to be a good night's rest in his old bedroom...it was definitely a long while back since he ever stepped inside this house, about five years ago when he was elected by the Cardinals, Chosen by the Holy Spirit to lead the Celestian Catholic Church after old Benedict's early retirement, and if there was one thing he absolutely missed it was all of this...when he was just a priest-in-training, never imagining to achieve such high level of position. He naturally felt for Kathy, always there for him no matter what and vice versa; TYP already knew by now her sexuality consideing he noticed in the past how she looked at the same sex every time he fetched her from school, but that didn't necessarily mean the Church had to be so complicated regarding those things; the amount of times he addressed this issue about the Church focusing so much on these peculiar details completely baffled him. As much as he agreed with most of the Church's teachings regarding being gay, the Church never ever preaches about driving a campaign based on prejudice and hatred towards these special kind of God's servants, it was thus important to emphasize the inclusion and respect for them, the validity of leading a chaste life...

With those thoughts in place, the Young Pope slowly but surely fell asleep, preparing for what was to occur the next day.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »
The following morning saw an early rise for Martin, Kathryn and the Pope as they left Ashwood for a drive to the south east and the town of Santiago, it was a fairly picturesque place set against the countryside's meadowy backdrop with the sound of the Northern Ocean not that far away either. The cobbled streets were an interesting feature but the main attraction was of course the vast number of people flocking into the town on a daily basis on their pilgrimages. The heart of the town was of course the impressive cathedral, this was where Martin would take up his responsibilities from here on. News of the Pope's visit had of course spread and there were plenty of pilgrims who were eager to see the man meaning there was a bit of a local policing operation going on.

"If your Holiness would come this way." Martin said "Our destination awaits." he led them towards the Cathedral
"Let me explain." Kathryn said as they walked "For a few months now the leaders of the various faiths that are found in Achkaerin decided to set up an Inter Faith Forum basically they go around each other's places of worship and have discussions about what their beliefs say about certain topics today it's here and we thought you might be interested to see it and maybe even participate. After the forum you've got lunch with the Shearney family, they're the noble family responsible for the area and then we're off to Artaxia by helicopter."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »
"Alright, sounds interesting enough...I'm definitely up for it" the Pope said, hoping he wouldn't say anything bizarre and embarras the Catholic Church. The Cathedral of Santiago sure calmed him down though, it never got to disappoint him when it came to the grandeur of the design itself. From what Peter knew, the cathedral is the reputed burial place of Saint James the Great, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ. The cathedral has historically been a place of pilgrimage on the Way of St. James since the Early Middle Ages and marks the traditional end of the pilgrimage route. The building is a Romanesque structure, with later Gothic and Baroque additions.

"Good morning your excellencies and your holiness; May I have a word with the holy father Martin?" Ecclesiastical Councilor for Strategy and Finance, Truls Aaberg, asked before given the permission, as he led the Pontifff aside.

"As requested, the annual 'donations' will become active after the entire visit's done, are you sure his holiness wishes to see this through?" Aaberg said.

"Most certainly, they've been good to me always no matter what, it's time they're rightfully awarded..." TYP said.