Author Topic: To be convicted  (Read 3898 times)

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
To be convicted
« on: April 08, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »
Time: February 2018
Place: Naval Academy of Sturmheim, Neu Uburzis
Main Figure: Julian Wingert

Part 1:

Sweat dripped from Julian's face as he shivered in the freezing cold. Sun hadn't risen, yet the Convict Cadets already where running their morning laps around the Walled off Schoolyard. He had gotten used to the early hours, the normal cadets starting their laps half an hour later. Their Dorm warden barking orders at them as usual, yelling down the newer cadets. You learned quick that the only comfort you could find here was among other convicts, as the cadets where strictly separated after class. Blinking over the Fence, Julian spotted a particular girl being picked on especially heavy, Barbara Anselm really didn't have an easy time. Even the other convicts hated her for attacking the emperor.

"Don't watch the girls or i punch your sorry excuse for balls so hard you will beg Achkaerin for a Sex change!" their warden barked at Julian, who retorted at only slowly shaking his head, before making his way to the showers.

"Morning captain!" one of the fellow convicts waved at him, tossing him a towel and soap as they entered the facility. A single huge shower room for all male Convict cadets was another downside, Julian really stopped minding at this point. It was part of the privileges stripped from him by now. Several younger convicts starring at Julians shoulder, as they hushed behind their back:
"That's so cool. You think someone will make us a Prison Tattoo like that as well?" one Kid whispered.

Julian had a small inscription in Black ink, proudly declaring SG18: "You could call it a Prison Tattoo, but trust me, we all payed a price by the warden for getting it when they found out." he answered, as the warm water washed over his skin. At least it was warm water at this time of the year. Apparently they had figured cold water and cold temperatures wasn't a healthy mix after all.

"And we would all get it again. But say Julian, that's a lot newcomers the last weeks. I think five alone?" one of his Crew members from the SG18 joined Julian, scrubbing off Sweat before breakfast: "Yeah, but most of them are one Year sentences. Though the warden mentioned to me to keep an eye out for a full circle convict arriving today. Told me to see if we can pick him up."

--------------------------------------------

Julian was sipping on a thin mint tea, as he ate simple bread with curd cheese and a small bit of marmalade. Their diet strictly regulated as their dress code, Julian longed for days long past. He would try and taste as many foods around the world once he had the money for it. The warden ripped him from his short moment of day dreams, as he slapped a small note onto his table. "You are on Duty, show the new Convict around, tell him the rules this evening. I expect him to know the basics tomorrow. Every beating he gets will be doubled for you." Julian grunted but didn't say a word, they had an important meeting training new members for the SG18 this afternoon. He knew the warden wanted to sabotage his efforts to create a legacy, and his grades for the final exams on top. But complaining wasn't an option. Glaring at the Name, he raised an Eyebrow. Seemed like a kid from Himmelstadt, a rather rural Area. The name didn't click with Julian, but that didn't mean the boy didn't deserve his sentence here. Only two kind of People ended up with a full circle sentence. Children stepping on the wrong persons toe, like accidentally crippling the Brother of the Empress, or actual convicts, like being accomplice to kidnapping and murder.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:54:12 PM by Norgeras »

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
Re: To be convicted
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
Part 2:

“Reporting for Duty, Captain Wingert, Sir!”
Julian looked at 30 convicted criminals, all saluting him in unity as he stepped onto the poop deck of the training vessel. All of them convicted Criminals, but right now, all of them equal, quite literal in the same boat:
“Men! We had a great victory last Year! But one Victory is nothing. If we want people to believe we can change, that we are worth to be treated as human, then we have to compete every year. It took us three years to even get admitted for the Naval Summer camp. But now we face the hardest part.”
Julian nodded slowly, as he took down his Captains hat, throwing a glare over to Waldemar Rauke. The new convict was silently brooding over several leaflets containing his new Life’s Schedules. Julian knew all too well how quick you had to remember those, especially since your whole dorm room was punished together if only one failed to pull their weight.

“Eight of us are leaving the Crew before Battle arrives. Six are graduating, two are finally able to go home. Home to Parents that have after Years of Silence reconnected with them. That decided to give them a new chance, now that the sentence is up. It means, with all of you gathered here, we will have only two reserve Sailors, and all of last years commanding ranks are not on the ship.” Julian sighed, his shoulder slumping down slightly, shaking his head: “We need to decide until evening. They did cut the time we have without telling us. Not that it’s a surprise. So get to work. Talk with each other. This is my last order. Find suitable replacement. And follow them into Battle!”

Waldemar snorted audible at the little speech, as two of the younger, overly eager convicts chattered close to him: “I can’t believe they picked us up. I mean, he won last year! And he knows the Emperor.”
“And we are still scum, just because your so called captain there has sucked it up to a big one doesn’t mean it changes anything.” Waldemar growled, sticking his nose back into the papers. The two cadets clenching their fists as they got some distance between themselves and Waldemar.

Julian meanwhile had noticed one of their younger recruits had been quivering the whole time, and as he approached him, saw why: “How many where that?” he asked, as he pointed to the red streaks on both hands of the recruit: “Twenty on the hands, ten lashes on the back, Sir.” a squeaky high pitched voice answered: “One of the Normies claimed i stole their Pen. I didn’t, but…”
“No need to explain, we all know that game.” Julian simply put a hand on the cadets shoulder: “I’d hug you recruit, but that would probably sting.”

Waldemar grinned devilish as he had overheard the conversation, and just as Julian had moved to talk with the other commanding Ranks of the SG18, he approached his fellow Convict and hugged him strongly, resulting in the young Cadet howling in pain.
One of the crew officers walked over and barked at Waldemar: “Stop, now!”

Waldemar walked away, putting his hands up in the air: “No problem here, we are are all just friends here.”
“Listen Waldi.” one of the Officers said, walking up to Waldemar: “If there is one Rule being a convict cadet. Stick together, or the next years all other students along with the wardens will drag you through hell and back. Your decision. Only the wardens, or the whole school against you.”
Julian was trying to make his way back, but the others had already circled around the scene, making it hard for him to get through, all while waldemar kept on going: “Oh, are you trying to make me afraid? We’re convicts, no one gives a shit anyway about us! So go Fuck yourself. We already are in Hell!” Before grabbing the cadet from earlier again, this time pressing his hands together: “See. The wardens don’t even move. They give a Shit about us.”

“I wouldn’t do that if i was you.” the Officer said, slowly backing away from Waldemar and the Cadet he gripped on.
Triumphant Waldemar stepped off, just as a sharp pain pierced his arm. The younger Cadet had bitten him in the arm, resulting in an even louder howling from Waldemar. The kid he thought his victim wrangled him to the ground in the second he got distracted, throwing punches at him as he sat on Waldemars chest. The others came helping, pulling the two apart, Waldemar terrified and shocked as he glared at the blood dripping from the bite on his arm, staring at chunks of his skin being spit out by the small monster in front of him as the other cadets dragged him off from Waldemar.

Finally the wardens protecting the ships and watching them came over, grabbing Waldemar and dragging him to the Schoolvan. “END, everyone! BACK TO THE DORMS!” They barked, as another held down the kid Waldemar had been fighting, trying to calm him down.

It was over. Julian starred blankly at Waldemar. There was no way they would manage to get this sorted until this evening now. He had fought to give them hope, to provide a group for them all, and the ones after. Just like Kurt had protected him. But now? He wasn’t even sure if they could find a proper Navigator, true enough they knew knots, the sails, the canons, by heart. But without a strict leadership that everyone followed? Useless. It had been the whole reason they succeeded last year. Constant under watch, no mistakes allowed. Strict rules, harsh penalties within the group. No second guessing the command chain while in the field, yet fruitful strategic meetings after. There was so much anger inside everyone right now, at the worst possible time. Too emotional, to fed up to make a rational decision.

It wasn’t fair to them, it wasn’t their fault. But as Julian was hauled off to the Principal together with Waldemar, he knew it didn’t matter. Unfair was just what it meant to be convicted.

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »
Part 3:

Waldemar had his hands in shackles as he was dragged to the nurse office. What a shit day. His face felt as if a knife had been pushed through, but it wasn’t an all unknown pain. He could feel a needle Piercing his skin and a burning sensation as the bite on his arm was sterilized and bandaged. None of the wardens really talked with him, but rather about him.

“So the little shit thought it was smart causing a fight on his first day? Who even assigned him to Wingert? That was trouble brewing.”  The Nurse sighed shaking her head: “Tell them to stick to the protocol with him, Cai broke his Nose good. though if you ask me, it had been broken several Times before. Quite a mess of Scar Tissue inside there. i’ll need to properly fix that. Assign him a trip to the hospital tomorrow afternoon.”
Still, they didn’t talk to him, but it was alright. Adults always where like that.
“What did he do again?” the warden asked, while the nurse shrugged: “Didn’t read the file yet, Kurt. You know i avoid it, keeps me from seeing them as just their crimes.”
“Whatever, i need to know their history. especially when trying to keep it peaceful. Hey Shithead?” The warden Kurt glared at Waldemar, his tone cold: “Wanne know what’s funny? You and that little Caius share a dorm room. Tough luck kid, i will just make sure they don’t break your nose.” Karl stood up, shaking his head: “Shit, i really need to find out who assigned him, or the Boss will Pin this on me.”
“Not on Julian?” the Nurse raised an eyebrow, as she stitched Waldemars arm: “I thought the Boss couldn’t stand him.”
“Nope, ever since he won the Damn Sea Campaign for the School Wingert is off Limits, just some try to still make his Life as hard as Possible Annabelle.”
Annabelle the Nurse sighed, Waldemar listening the whole time. Little Shit, not like he didn’t hear that before. Probably he was exactly that for them. They didn’t understand, it was fight or flight, and no one here would catch him from behind. If his old man had taught him anything, than weakness will always gets used against you. He might have lost, but he made clear he was going to fight.
He than watched her walk over to another Patient, snoring away like a little saint. “He is good for now, think he will sleep through the night. Had to sedate him before he flipped completely, shit it was close. That bite was deep. Waldemar?” She turned around, turning back to her other Patient: “You do not believe how lucky you where. Caius has bitten of Fingertips if you push him into a Frenzy. Let this be a lesson for you here. If you have been a big bad for whatever reason you came here, there is someone worse around probably sleeping right next door.”
Waldemar shuddered, but stayed silent. He’d need a new Strategy tomorrow. Kurt then dragged him up and pulled him along:
“I’ll bring him after studies tomorrow. You think you they’ll to break it again?”
“Probably” Annabelle replied, before cleaning up the utensils.
Waldemars eyes widened, but he gulped down whatever he wanted to say. It was pointless anyway. Arguing with adults was pointless anyway, they would hit you until you proclaimed them right or you’d pass out.
“Let’s get you shit to the Principal.” Kurt said, dragging Waldemar off, still wearing shackles.

-------------------------------------------------------

Several wooden paddles and rods hanging on the walls, a man in his sixties dressed in an officers uniform sitting with his arms folded in the armchair. Four years ago walking into the Office still scared julian, but now? The tools were meant to scare the normal cadets, not the convicts.
“I am ready to take responsibility, sir.” Julian said as he saluted and stood still in front of the wide old desk. The Principal filled himself a Glass of whiskey, swirling it around slightly, before sipping from it:
“No, you aren’t. It doesn’t matter. Sit.” the Principal pointed to a chair, and then on his Desk:
“And now put the note on the table that got Waldemar assigned to you.”
Julian followed suit, yet it felt Wrong. He never was allowed to sit before when visiting the Principal:
“Someone disobeyed my orders. Not only did they apparently not instruct you on Waldemar properly like i ordered, they also did push him on you uninstructed.”
Julian just stayed silent, he was unsure where this would lead. A trap to make him say something negative?
“I do not like your little Group. Being a convict cadet should be foremost punishment, and secondary making sure you get out here a useful human being. But for some reason i do not understand nor do i want to, our Academy has been given a price for successful rehabilitation thanks to your little stunt of not only getting a spot last year. No, you also went to Moreland, and unlike the Girls your group didn’t even look at a drop of alcohol, stayed in the set limits, and even with lesser restrictions no one even tried to break the rules. You bunch of murderers and deviants looked like sunday school catholic choir boys to the world. But that wasn’t enough, your disciplined crew made your side of the Summercamp win.”
The man’s Face had turned purple, as he sipped another Time from his Glass:
“Twenty Years i tried to get any sort of recognition for the School, twenties years some smug arse Convict Cadet Screwed up. And now? Now i need you get this years crew to participate. Because we are about to get a goddamn price for it as school.”

Julian blinked twice, shaking his head: “So wait, convicts are scoring an Award for the School?”
“I didn’t tell you to speak.” the Principal barked, slamming his Fist on the Desk:
“Yes, your dirty pack of convicts scored us something. And now you have one Job. Get that crew together.” the man leaned back, shaking his head: “You managed what i couldn’t. Waldemar was supposed to meet you this evening once i chewed him through. He hates Boats, his dad made him drive his fisher boat while getting shitfaced. Ring any bells?”

Julian blinked slowly, before tilting his head, though the principal spoke first: “It took a damn deal of intervention to get him incarcerated here. He hates boats, he hates you. and you have until tomorrow morning to get him to steer your damn ship. i know you need him, and i need that crew. He needs you people to get his head out of his arse.”

The principal leaned back, sipping once more from his glass, before slowly standing up: “If you manage to pull a crew together, then i’ll have a proposition for you. I know you won’t need a stipend, nor money. The Prince will take care of that i am rather sure. Yet there is one thing i think he can’t give you. So don’t screw up. Also, wait outside now. Because trust me, Waldemar will need someone to bring him to the dorms once i chewed him out right now.”

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:53:45 PM »
Part 5

Julian had just left the Door when Waldemar got brought before the Principal still shackled, Warden Kurt giving a short nod to him: “Don’t stay up to long.” before leaving Julian alone to Wait.

His times in there weren’t fondly remembered. A leather strap, slaps and getting yelled at usually was the result.
This time however he didn’t even hear a raised voice. Julian had heard from the others that the Principal had sympathy for those he called ‘Victims of their Circumstances’, yet since these meetings are usually solitary he never had witness a visit to the office aside his own. Considering the principal believed him an entitled brat when he first came her, the welcoming was a lot louder and painful.
That and the fact that the principal believed him to have just crippled the Brother of the then Empress after stealing the car for a joyride.

After roughly half an hour of waiting, Waldemar walked out of the office, his eyes bloodshot and teary, the Principal unshackling him before nodding to Julian:
“Bring him back to the Dorms. I told the warden to gather the crew. I leave the rest up to you.”

The Pair walked silently, Julian not speaking much. He could feel Waldemar grew more anxious as they came closer to the dorms, before stopping one hallway away:

“If you feel like talking, now’s the time.” Wingert announced, before taking a seat on a nearby cupboard.
“I lost. I am not strong enough to be a top dog here.” Waldemar replied, with julian shaking his head:
“Get that idea out of your head. All of us are bottom feeders here. There’s no point in trying to be the top of a turd.” Pointing to the door:
“No matter how sorry you are, let me get one thing clear. They will not go as easy on you as the principal. Especially once they realized he didn’t even lash you once.”
“I know.” Waldemar growled, before julian walked up to him grabbing him by the collar:
“Don’t take this easy recruit.”
“i am not your…” before his eyes widened: “NO. NO!”
Julian let him go, as he slumped down: “The principal expects me i make sure you join the crew. That’s your punishment. And quite frankly they need you.”
Leaning back on the cupboard, the senior convict took a deep breath:
“Look, i don’t know what makes you hate ships. and i won’t ask until you are ready to tell. I don’t care what got you here. Tell us once you are ready.”

“I’ve beaten someone into a coma.”  Waldemar sunk on to the bottom, leaning onto a wall. he looked mortified to Julian: “They tortured an animal! They deserved pain! I just, lost control…” Julian folded his arms, slowly raising his chin to signal Waldemar to continue:
“It’s just. The strong ones always are right. They decide what you do. Else they beat you. Now that i lost, it’s just the same. I get beaten into your submission.”
“How old?” Julian asked, keeping up his posture, though moving is arms to his side, now both grabbing the rim of his stand.
“Ten.” Waldemar quietly said.
Julian tilted his head: “It doesn’t matter for them. What you did today, and if you are ready to atone for it matters. I have a fair idea what they will call for. And you will hate it. It will humiliate you to the bone and beyond. Question is.”
Julian pointed to the door:
“Are you going in there with the strength to face you mistakes, or as a the coward trying to justify them? Make up your mind. They will not accept joining the crew is a punishment, for all for them it’s a great piece of freedom they all fought and bled for. You got it as a gift from the principal. It will take months for them to accept that, and it’s up to you if they ever will. It will take time, so for now. Whoever will be decided to be your new captain? His word is law to you. Think for yourself, but if you get an order, follow it.”
“I’m scared.” Waldemar squeakly admitted, before julian nodded:
“Rightly so. But better get this over with now than dealing the next,.. “ Julian paused as he thought for a brief moment: “how old are you again?”
“Twelve” Waldemar replied.
“So, better get this over now and have a chance getting them to understand you, than having them fight you for the next six years.” Julian nodded, before leading him back into the dorms.

Waldemar froze at the scene as he entered the dorms. Aside from this place being his home for the next years to come, the large hall was filled with dozens of angry convict cadets, many in their pj’s already, glaring at him.
“What is this shit!”, one younger cadet barked: “He can still walk, that’s not right!”

Julian raised his hand, but the noise wouldn’t clam down. One of the Other student put his whistle skills to use loudly, allowing julian to be audible:
“Guys, i had a little talk with the Principal about him.” some murmurs hushed the room before julian continued: “We have two things to take care off. First, we need to get a crew list together. So everyone belonging to the Camp Ship crew stand ready. Secondly.”

He unanimously shoved Waldemar in the middle as a circle as he crossed his arms:
“Caius will miss this, so make sure he can see the effect tomorrow. But first, one announcement. That miserable pile there is an experienced helmsman. Just to bad, he hates doing that!”
Waldemar felt sick, dozen teenagers cracking their knuckles, glaring at him, before Julian answered again: “The principal has made sure that he is to be a nice boy or else from now on. So, he will be our helmsman, but he won’t be second in command. It’s a break with tradition but a necessary one. We need him, and we do not have experience other than him available. But…”

He nodded to Waldemar: “This is your part now. because from the looks of it, they are more than willing to take the chance without you. We will lose the boat, they will hate you, the principal will hate you. Make something of it.”

“i…” Waldemar shook his head: “I hate boats, i hate ships. but i will comply. and…” he looked around: “I’m sorry. i … thought i i show off being the strong one would make sure i can have my peace and quiet…”

The team who whistled earlier stood up, walked over and slapped Waldemar across the face, before turning to julian: “We have already decided what to do with him.” Julian nodded slowly: “He’s due for a doctor's visit tomorrow. I’ll make the list ready who will be on the team. Make sure once you are done. Don’t make him hate you, Captain Schmitt.”

As the room suddenly got mostly quiet, aside from a sobbing Waldemar rubbing his cheek, Hans Schmitt blinked several times:
“Uhm, wait? Did you just?”
“Yes, sir.” Julian saluted to him: “We both know you are as passionate as no one else, and you have been with us for the last three years. You know the ins and outs of the ship. of handling the crew. make us proud. Now, deal with the Recruit acting out the way we all had agreed to take care of it.”

Schmitt blinked: “Oh.” he shuddered slightly: “Well, i guess i won’t be the only one then to have gone through it.” he then turned around to waldemar:

“Recruit? Are you ready to receive your punishment for acts against the crew?”

Waldemar shuddered, then slowly nodded: “I don’t have a choice.”

Julian walked off to a sideroom, filling out the form for the application.

He knew what would happen. And he wasn’t proud of it. He did the same to Hans two years ago, as they caught him stealing from other crew members. Back then they decided it#s best handled among themselves, a code between the crew members. Waldemar had never agreed on this. It wrenched julians guts, but he knew for the group to stay together, for them to accept him, waldemar would have to go through this.
He could hear the whimpering through the door.

They would tell him to strip now, then naked in front of the dorm shave off his hair, fit a dogs collar around his neck.
Julian could hear him crying. Probably shaving off the hair right now.
Then while they told him eat with his mouth out of a bowl, they would use a thick permanent marker to write one word on his back: “KAMERADENSAU”

Julian looked up. the sound had stopped. Silence. Not what he was expecting. The door to the room he was working in swung open, and Hans lead Waldemar inside. Still naked. But hair on, and no collar.

“I won’t.” Hans said: “See for yourself why.” Julian nodded. Waldemar was covered in green and blue all over. Some of these bruises at best two days old.

Waldemar himself whimpered, before Hans gave him a slow hug:
“You are an idiot. But you are Part of my Crew now. We get you your Pajamas. I’ll make sure Caius understands.”
Julian smiled, nodding: “Good job Hans.”

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
Part 5:

late June

It was over. It felt unreal, his freedom. And an excellent Diploma. Julian shivered as he stood at the front gates, together with all convict cadets released this year.

Some awkward reunions, estranged children and their parents barely looking each other into the eyes. Some warm hugs, when after years families reunited.

Julian hadn't seen his out his pick up yet, so he walked over to two of his former officers, still standing around alone:

“No one to pick you up?”  he said, patting their shoulders.
“Not a surprise.” the tall blonde one replied: “After what i did i don’t deserve my family back. and some years in here won’t change that.”
“You are a good guy at heart.” Julian replied: “Find something you treasure and protect it.”

Several pair of feet approached, as the current crew of the SG18 stood at the gates of the school grounds, all dressed up in their best uniforms, many of them teary eyed as they lined up to the graduates. Julian and the rest marched over, saluting to their comrades, before the new captain hans barked: “At ease.” allowing them all to storm over and hugging out their former comrades.
“We will miss you Julian.” the new captain smiled as he looked back: “I try my best to keep what you accomplished alive.”

“Eh, you might see me again.” Julian held up a small document, pointing it to the group: “You got the spot in the camp, and i got a Part Time job.”
Hans raised an eyebrow as he went through the papers: “Weren’t you going to be some sort of envoy for the iwi in your vacations during university?”
Waldemar yelped: “Your a part time Watchdog?” several heads turned, and julian scratched the back of his head: “The Principal offered to me that i am allowed during vacation to oversee small groups. I will study to become a certified social worker anyway, so it works.”

After several more hugs where traded, julian couldn’t help but cry: “If you need me, call me.”

In the background several black cars approached, Julian wiped his eyes dry, and the principal walked to the front door, accompanied by several journalists:

“Cadets, get in line.” He said, making all of the still convicted students line up.
“Well, someone took us a bit by surprise. And by the looks of it, you too.”
 Julian almost had his mouth open as not only Kurt sat in the car, but a young small blond teen as well. The convict cadets all around stared in disbelief, as the Emperor himself jumped out of the car giving a Hug to Julian:
“Good to see you again.” Orion said, waving to the journalists together with a baffled julian, while kurt rolled up to the other two that didn’t get picked up, handing them two large brown envelopes: “You start tomorrow. And have a stipend next year. Make something out of it.”

Julian sank to his knees crying tears of joy, while his shocked fellow convicts each got their hands shaken by their very Emperor. All while the Press took a keen interest.

For Julian this was the end of a long journey. He truly was no longer convicted. New roads lay ahead, but for now, all he felt was relief and joy.