Author Topic: The Catholics of Miteravia  (Read 16651 times)

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Miteravia
The Catholics of Miteravia
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »

Your Holiness Pope Peter II and Your Catholic and Imperial Majesty Empress Helena

It is with great pleasure that I, President Eryk Seiler, hereby extended an invitation for you to visit our country on behalf of the Miteravian people. It would be a terrific honor for our nation to host such esteemed guests. Our nations adherents to the Catholic faith have wished for such an opportunity for some time and have been looking for religious and spiritual guidance from a power higher than the existing clergy of Miteravia. Furthermore, we hope that such a visit would strengthen relations between our two nations.

In the event of His Holiness or Her Catholic and Imperial Majesty being unable to visit our nation for any reason I would personally lead a delegation to the Statum Ecclesiasticum, if it were to please you.

With deepest respect,
President Eryk Seiler and Vice-President Maik Hester

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
Re: The Catholics of Miteravia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »

The Ecclesiastical State

To our friends, brothers and sisters of Christ in Miteravia,

It is with great joy that I Pope Peter II shall accept your utmost, heartfilling invitation to your country, that not so recently ago managed to get rid of a dictatorship whose crimes are equal to those belonging to the Communist regimes that have spread their Red Plague and brought nothing but total chaos and destruction; the amount of hope and faith displayed by the Miteravians during those times, especially from the loyal Christians, are beyond imaginable when it comes to inspiration and empathy. I'm looking forward to expand our great nations' relations and hopefully by the end of such as visit, there's a new dawn in the making for prosperity and cooperation.

Take Care and God Bless

Sincerely,

Pope Peter II of the Ecclesiastical State

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:50:32 PM »

To His Holiness,
We are overwhelmingly pleased you chose to accept our invitation. The Miteravian People look forward to your arrival and can not wait to show you the beauty and splendor of our realm. Below I shall suggest an itinerary, however please update it at your discretion but inform us so we may make the necessary security arrangements.

Day 1:

9:00 - The ecclastial delegation arrives at Oklan District International Airport, to be greeted by Vice-President Hester. The roads between ODI Airport and the Sapphire hotel are to be cleared ahead of the delegation's arrival.
10:00 - The delagtion arrives at the Sapphire hotel, all security measures are to be taken to ensure the saftey of His Holiness. If the delegation wishes to maintain possession of any firearms for the saftey of His Holiness, they are permitted to do so.
11:00 - President Seiler and his family arrive at the Sapphire for an Official Breakfast
13:00 - Presentation of a State gift to His Holiness by Minister of The Interior, David Schön and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dominik Schweizer.
15:00 - His Holiness addresses the Grand Union Parliament.
18:00 - His Holiness appears on Miterav national television to lead adherents in Mass.
21:00 - Return to the Sapphire.

Day 2:

9:00 - Breakfast.
10:00 - Travel to Spring Uprising memorial.
12:30 - Tour of West Miteravia, home of Many Cathederals and a vast proportion of Miteravia's Catholics
18:30 - Return to the Sapphire for a traditional Miteravian dinner.
20:00 - Reading of Miterav Poetry and Literature.

Day 3:

9:00 - Breakfast.
11:00 - His Holiness meets the Archbishop of Greater Miteravia.
13:00 - Lunch with the extended clergy of Miteravia.
15:30 - Presentation of an honorary professorship in Theology to His Holiness from The Theological University College of Miteravia (TUC)
16:30 - Parade in Honor of His Holiness.
19:00 - Departure of His Holiness from Oklan District International Airport

I hope that your visit is informative and prosperous for all parties involved.
Yours faithfully,
President Eryk Seiler
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:23:43 PM by Miteravia »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
Travelling in the VC-25, aka Papal plane, his holiness Pope Peter II "The Young Pope" was on his way to Miteravia, a relatively 'unknown' nation in the radar although he hard heard a lot about the active Catholic community there, which was always welcoming no matter what.

Sooner or later the Ecclesiastical entourage landed  Oklan District International Airport  where they were greeted by the country's Vice-President. "An honor and pleasure to finally get to meet you your excellency, I'd say it's time to refreshen our relations...The Empress has unfortunately other important business and family matters to attend and as such couldn't make it, although it's also about taking turns and resting from these travels hehe" the Pope said while taking a look at his surroundings; at least the red carpet was unfolded, a ceremonial guard attachment on either side while the national anthems were played in the background; On all ES travels, the Guardians of the Holy and Eeternal Thrones, usually more famous for their bright colored uniforms in the Vatican, today wore plain clothes...they're reputable to be among the best militarised body guards, protecting every Pope and Empress from any harm possible, although it was a close call to destroy that claim in 1982 with Pope John Paul II

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
President Eryk Seiler sat a home fretting about the meeting that was to take place in less than two hours. He wiped the small amount of perspiration that had recently formed away from his brow. The phone rang, causing the President to flinch. Was it bad news? Had something gone wrong? This was his first state visit since his election to office, he couldn't afford for this to go wrong.
'This is President Seiler.' He answered the phone.
'Good morning, sir, His Holiness has arrived at the Sapphire hotel. Vice-President Hester wishes to know when you will arrive.' Said the agent at the other end of the line.
'Soon. Tell him soon.' Seiler hung up and looked down at his watch.
'JESUS CHRIST.' He exclaimed realising the time. He noted he should probably not say that around his holiness or his delegation. He ran out the door and into the presidential limousine, his family had spent the night in the sapphire hotel so everyone was waiting on his arrival for this Breakfast, fashionably late he assured himself.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »
"Your holiness...it sure looks..." a cardinal began to say.
"Comfy...yes, indeed it does..." Pope Peter II ended.

The entire Papal delegation, including Cardinals and other staff, had just arrived in this well-known Sapphire Hotel along with the Pope. Looking at the itinerary, it seemed brunch was going to be served at 11.00 o'clock which was enough time to freshen up a lil', so the Pope quickly went up to his room, which sure looked elegant and chique. Some time later, he went downstairs to join the rest of his group as they were about to be greeted by the Presidential family in the dining room...he noticed that President Seiler wasn't among them, perhaps he was late the Pope amused to himself.

"Good forenoon everyone, can't wait to start diggin' in the food eh?" Peter amused.

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:11 PM »
President Seiler entered the dining hall, the last to arrive, the every pair of eyes around the room followed the man as he made his way to his seat.
'Please, Your Holiness; and your esteemed guests, do not wait on my accord to begin eating, as you can see my son has not.' He said gesturing to his 5 year old son Lucas, who was happily tucking into a bowl of cereal. 'May I introduce my beautiful wife, Nadine and my Son, Lucas.'
This drew a chuckle from a few of attendees.
'And further could I introduce Minister David Schön and Minister Dominik Schweizer, who will be accompanying you for the rest of your stay here. Lastly, I am President Eryk Seiler, Eryk will more than suffice as we are among friends. Welcome to Miteravia and thank you for coming.' Seiler smiled.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:50 PM »
When the Man of the Hour finally arrived, Peter proceeded to greet him. "An honor and pleasure to finally get to meet you your excellency as well as everyone else gathered, thanks for receiving me and the Ecclesiastical delegation, I'd say it's time to refreshen our relations...tell me my friend, what would you like to talk about first?" the Pope said while taking a look at the vide assortment of brunch articles laid forth on the dining table, he noticed that his staff were faster than him and enjoyed their fair share of tasty delicacies.

"To be honest, I'm having a hard time to choose...what would you recommend I try first?"

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
A great smile of pride spread across Seiler's face, he was now tasked with recommending breakfast to the Pope himself. 'Your Holiness, I would always recommend the eggs to anyone taking their breakfast in Miteravia, our chef here is simply a genius his scrambled eggs with morsels of bacon are utterly delicious.'  He said indicating towards a bowl piled high with the aforementioned eggs.
'If that doesn't take your fancy then the bread produce is made from wheat grown in the grounds of the Grand Union Parliament.' He further suggested. 'On the matter of breakfast conversation I would like to nominated Minister Schön to begin the conversation.'
David Schön looked up from his zapiekanka, slicked his hair back with his hand and began.
'Your Holiness, as a loyal Catholic I would first like to say what an honor for me this is, I wish not to belittle President Seiler or other members of the Miteravian delegation but few of them share the same religious persuasion as I. And this is the matter with which I would like to discuss, during the time of the Neužil the choice of ethnic affiliation was quashed, we were all forced to consider all Miteravians brother and sister, with no other ethic difference. However this is not the case, Miteravia has 3 main subgroups within its majority culture. Those with heavier Polish ancestory, those with heavier Czech ancestory and those with stronger German ancestory. The Polish Miteravians are the only ones who are majority Catholic, infact about 80-90% Catholic. But now a separatist movement wishing to install a theocratic government has grown in stature.'
Schön choked for a moment.
'Your Holiness, as I am Minister of the Interior it is my job to placate them. They have twice called for my excommunication and execution.' Schön sighed regaining his composure. 'Our wish is for the Polish Miteravians to understand that good Catholics have a place in Miteravia, they do not need their own  state. But some of them will of course prefer their lives in holy servitude. So my proposal to you alongside Minister Schweizer would be to allow migration of those Miteravians who feel somewhere such as the Ecclesiastical State would be a better home for them.'
David pulled on the corners of his blazer and took his seat. Schweizer nodded lightly in agreement.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
The Young Pope was relieve that someone recommended him the appropriate breakfast items to feast upon in Miteravia, considering the abundance of choice, which was also the same situation in the Ecclesiastical State due to the amount of cultures involved, much more than his native home back in Achkaerin. "Ah yes, we also have our fair share of delicious Zapiepanka alongside the traditional Italian-style Pizza, a pleasure for the mouth in other words." he concluded while taking the opportunity to taste it, much to his joy and satisfaction. Minister Schön then began to speak about his proud Catholic heritage and the fact that there are some unfortunate extremists causing unnecessary problems with other societal groups, much to Peters disappointment.

"These so-called Catholics...can they call themselves so when promoting hatred and division rather than cooperation and mutual trust? In fact in the Ecclesiastical State, we have an abundance of minority religious groups and even irreligious looking to only contribute their fair share to society and nothing more, nothing less. I understand the concerns coming from this noble government and I understand your plight; regarding migration the Ecclesiastical State has always been open no matter, what as long as they can pass background and other similar checks, it shouldn't be a problem...oh and actually tolerate others that are different from them, so if they wish to rather live in God's holy nation, they have the right to, naturally.

Other than that, are there currently other national happenings of great importance? I have to also say that this Zapiekanka's truly spot on in terms of the flavors and composition, send my regards to the chef please hehe."

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »
Schön seemed relieved that he was able to secure the free migration for the more extreme individuals, provided they were to behave themselves in their new land. However it was Minister Schweizer's turn to interject:
'Your Holiness, for the purpose of furthered diplomatic co-operation on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior we wish to invite your great nation to consecrate an embassy in which you may treat as home away from home. In the event of future visits, I'm sure you'd find an Ecclesiastical embassy much more homely.'

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
"I'm honored to hear such a proposal and it'll surely fit the Nuncio, however my home here is whatever home you can provide me no matter how large or small it may be, am comfortable and secure in any circumstance. In that case, could you show me exactly the available options for the embassy's location? Also, could someone please pass me more of that good Zapiekanka, I think I'll have some more." The Young Pope was so far pleased with how the first minutes of his state visit was heading so far, it was good to know that at least some government ministers were faithful adherents to the Christian Church. He took note of the President's young son who was busy concentrating on his own share if brunch.

"Lucas, how do you find the brunch so far, tasty am i right?"

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
Little Lucas began to blush, 'Yes it's very tasty...'  Nadine lent over and whispered in her sons ear. 'Yes it's very tasty, Your Holiness.' He  triumphantly repeated himself, passing the Pope more zapiekanka. Lucas' own food rapidly regained his undivided attention.
Seiler began:
'On the topic of where to place your embassy, I have the following map of the inner city of Oklan;'

'The red dots denote a free plot of land for your use, the yellow dot is the seat of the Archbishop of Greater Miteravia, Oklan Cathedral. The blue dot is the Grand Union Parliament building. So your choices are as follows: the location in the north, which is on the edge of a small but beautiful national park, the riverfront property in the north east, the centre-east property near the central hub of Catholicism in Miteravia or the Sout-eastern location near parliament, possibly the most efficient choice in the event of needing to alert the government to anything in person, although these days a phone call or an email more than suffices'

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
"Hmm, oh so hard to choose hehe..." The Young Pope took his time to think this through, although it was quite fun considering he'd mostly let others decide and it wasn't every day he had to pick a spot for an Ecclesiastical Nuncio. "Call me stereotypical and conservative, but I'll go with the one closest to the seat of the Archbishop of Greater Miteravia, Oklan Cathedral; I could imagine the nuncio having his cup of coffee and daily prayer in front of such a grandiose, tall structure of the Lord...I assume inner security will be handled by our own Guardians of the Holy and Eternal Thrones, while additional backup would come from lokal Oklan Police? Also, can't wait to explore the rest of your magnificent capital...filled with so much history and culture like any other place I've been to in Mundus..."

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
'A wise decision, Your Holiness, of course internally you may handle your own security and Oklan Police are but an alert away, the local precincts will be informed that there are weaponry within the nuncio so in the event of an emergency no red tape comes in the way of your people's safety.' Seiler assured the Pope. 'I am sure the Archbishop will be thrilled to hear of this news. If you so wish to, you can inform him yourself in two days time.'
Ministers Schön and Schweizer marched back in, presumably having sneaked out during the discussion of the location of the nuncio.
'We wish on behalf of Miteravia and her people present you with this,' Schweizer said producing in his now silk gloved hands a Wooden Cross. 'This, Your Holiness, is an artefact of great importance to Miteravian Christians, both Catholic and Protestant alike. It is the only surviving remnant of a non-denominational church, The Church of Christ, that used to stand in Oklan that was raised to the ground by Neužil forces during the Spring uprising when civilians who supported the cause of freedom took shelter in the church. This is the Crux Miterav.'

Minister Schön chipped in, 'This... embassy warming present, we would be most grateful if you were to accept this gift and display it in pride of place in your soon to be opened Nuncio.'

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »
"I'm touched, greatful and thankful for such a considerate gift and a testimony to those who suffered against the institutions who promote tyranny and injustice; this relic shall definitely deserve a spot in the newly consecreated Nuncio. As to show my sincere gratitude, I hereby present these on behalf of the Celestian Catholic Church, the Amaranthine Dynasty and the Citizens of the Ecclesiastical State" the Pope said, while the Papal staff held each gift up for everyone to see as they entered the dining hall.

The first gift to be shown were a few sheets of paper which appeared to be a copy of a World Day of Peace message the pope delivered in early 2017 at the beginning of his pontificate. "I call this “Nonviolence: a Style of Politics for Peace,” which runs four and half pages I signed it personally for you,” the pope told the hosts. "The message condemns what I call a world war of 'piecemeal’ violence,' which includes wars and organized crime, but also the abuses suffered by migrants and victims of human trafficking, and the devastation of the environment.' I call upon world leaders to be peacemakers who show mercy by refusing to discard people, harm the environment, or seek to win at any cost."

Peter’s gifts to the Miteravian officials also include three books he has written as pope. Bound in red leather covers, the books are usually given to heads of state: Amoris Laetitia—The Joy of Love, Evangelii Gaudium—The Joy of the Gospel, and Laudato Si’—On Care For Our Common Home. "The last title is a 184-page encyclical published  discusses climate change. In that I'm calling climate change one of the principal challenges facing humanity in our day. I hope these gifts signify my described gratitude and sincerity shown towards your great people." the Pope concluded.

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:43 PM »
'Your Holiness, these gifts are simply superlative, these pieces of literature truly speak to the benevolent nature of your nation and also yourself.' began Seiler. It seemed Schön, despite all his diplomatic training, was rather taken aback by the fine gifts.
'May I, Mr. President?' he suggested indicating towards the signed manuscript.
'Sure, David.' Seiler replied handing it over.
Schön's eyes lit up like a child at Christmas. 'Incredible...' he mused.
'While Minister Schön is busy marvelling at your fine works, are you prepared to address Parliament later today, your Holiness?'

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »
"I'm certainly more than ready to address your parliament...It seems we got a bit of time left for continued chatting before leaving, yes indeed plenty of time." the Pope said looking at his watch. "Is there anything you'd like to share more about your nation and/or perhaps would like to ask me anything in regards to ES?"

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:42 PM »
'Naturally, Your Holiness, the international reverence and reputation of ES has proceeded the arrival of yourself. I am satisfied that these meetings have deeply expanded my insight and understanding of ES, her people and her Ruler.' Seiler conceded, 'With regards to sharing more of Miteravia's qualities with you and your delegation, what would you wish to know?
Meanwhile, Schön had returned the works of the Pope to the envoy nominated to take the place they were to be kept.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:09:13 PM »
"I'm a passionate man for history, so I'd wish to know about the successes that lead to current day Miteravia, save for the unfortunate period with a crazed dictatorship. I heard that Miteravia prided itself on its merchant capabilities by sea, is that correct to assume?" the Pope asked while munching on something sweet and drinking freshly brewed coffee.

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
'Ah a man of history, let me summon Vice-President Hester, He Majored in Miteravian History and Politics before the war at university, I can't remember which for the life of me, mind.' Explained President Seiler. He nodded to one of his attaches who bolted from the room and promptly returned with the Vice-President in tow. The Hester came to the end of the table, bowed lightly and reintroduced himself. He sat down, occupying the seat next to the President and opposite the Pope.
'I am in the understanding that you would like to hear of Miteravia's golden age as a merchant republic?' Hester smiled, obviously eager to tell the story. 'You see, Your Holiness, the age of our merchant republic was a great era of trade and growth both as a nation and a people. We started our sailing missions in 1701, just after our ratification of the Oklan accords. We had three main merchant families, although there were estimated to be 80 or so other trade companies in Miteravia, as I'm sure you're aware we had the Gottliebs, Nowaks and infamous Neužil who all  traded in a range of goods. The Gottliebs actually still have descendants in Miteravia today, my cousin is married to one such woman. During this time we colonised Tamrov Island, the Nowaks landed at Tamrov Point on the 4th of August 1703 if my memory serves me, and it became a huge hub of trade for the entire nation. Trade grew and grew and it is believed that the Miteravian people obtained their very liberal views and reverence of foreign customs as initially a way of improving business prospects abroad, thus people saw these attitudes as a sign of social status and the population as a whole gradually adopted this as a personal belief as well as gaining our equality between the sexes from our enatic neighbours such as ES in southern Albion. Even during the Neužil era, the people themselves maintained their liberal views as clearly shown by the recent election results. The innate progressiveness of the people during this time lead to exceptionally high level of migration from ethnic minorities whom had been expelled from other nations. The growth of trade led to greater pacifism within the foreign policy of the nation, as Heiko Gottlieb said 'A dead man tills no fields, weaves no cloth nor does he heft his coal.' as if our nation or a trading partner was obliterated in a conflict that would reduce the labour pool, negatively impacting trade. In the late 1700s as well we first traded in Cannabis and Opium, societal exposure coupled with liberal civil policy meant that no narcotics were every made illegal over here even during the Neužil reign; in fact during the war we found great use in small doses of amphetamines to keep sentries awake and alert, this has lead to Miteravia having a large drug market yet highly regulated keeping the money out of the hands of criminals, starving organised crime of its life blood.' Hester noticed for how long he had been speaking. 'Terribly sorry, Your Holiness, do you have any questions?'
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:54:06 PM by Miteravia »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
"Don't apologise for my sake, it was higly interesting getting to know more about the nation's history and how it all began, as I could listen to this all day long in fact. I'm currently out of questions, but it'll surely pop back right up...Mmm, actually I do have: Will there be an opportunity amidst the schedule for talks to be held in regards to a potential treaty between our nations?"

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
Seiler and Hester began to speak in unison, Seiler indicated for Hester to go ahead and speak. The Vice-President cleared his throat; 'Certainly there is time for such discussions, the nature of the treaty would decide when it is appropriate to discuss it. After all if it was a treaty that would require cross bench support it would probably be beneficial for it to be discussed soon after your address to parliament but if it was to be popular with all parties within parliament I'm sure it can discussed at our mutual convenience.'
'Agreed.' Seiler nodded.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
"Alright, sounds good to me either way, was thinking of bringing up the topics regarding diplomacy and economy as well as other special agreements we may both gave. There's also a military aspect but as of now, we feel that there needs to be some time for relations to move further up the scale essentially. Is there anything else you'd wish to say gentlemen, before taking a break for the parliamentary event?" the Pope responded.

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
Seiler began 'I have no further points to raise...Maik?'
Hester simply shook his head once, indicating his agreement.
'Well then, Your Holiness, on behalf of my self and everyone here I wish you the best of luck with your address, SLP and Worker's Party members have been instructed to be on their best behaviour as it were, a fair proportion of the Conservative MPs are Catholic meaning they too should be more than respectful...that said the LOM may not seem too happy as they are hardline Protestants but they are few in numbers so they're not going to do anything untoward I shouldn't think...oh and The so-called Guardsmen boycott their seats so if you see 8 or so empty seats please don't be offended, they never turn up to anything out of principal.'

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:29 PM »
"Thank you gentlemen, I'll hopefully see you all there." After a moment of rest, the Pope was diligently escorted to the Parliament where he would give a speech to the entire nation of Miteravia, now was the opportunity he waited for after all those years of training and patience, which would probably be pulled off without a hassle, provided that the majority of the MPs would be courteous and respectful no matter if they shared the same beliefs and admiration for Peter. He was instructed to wait outside the chamber where everyone was waiting for him desperately, it wasn't every day that a Pontiff came to visit. In the last minute, he prayed hard for the address to go as smoothly as possible.

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
The Miterav Grand Union Parliament was abuzz with chatter, almost all conversation was reserved for the topic of the Pontiff's speech although there was a MPs off topic, doing what Miteravian MPs do best: Hurling insults about opposition parties. The 11 LOM MPs did not look too pleases for what the were about to hear but they were sat next to their MCP Pseudo-allies who happen to be the favoured party for Catholics, especially in West Miteravia so they knew any diplomatic uproar they caused would spell the end of any hope at achieving a coalition or any sort of legislative relevance after the next election.
Lucie Bareš, the House Speaker took to the floor.
'Honourable Ladies and Gentlemen of the Miterav Grand Union Parliament.' Her voice was impressively loud for such a slight woman, it's sound drew to a close most of the conversations out on the benches, save a few mutters in the far back. 'It is with great pleasure I am to introduce Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of the Ecclesiastical State, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Celestian Province, Sovereign of the Ecclesiastical State, Pope Peter II.' She retook her seat as the applause filled the room, especially loud from those in the back-right of the MCPs seats. The list of titles had been most carefully selected as not to anger those in the LOM and the anti-theistic members of the Worker's Party, whilst still affording the Pope with enough respect to appease the Catholics of the audience.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
With those words proclaimed, the Pope entered the grand parliamentary chamber alongside his body guards as a roar of applause was given to him and the MPs on both sides of the isle wanted to shake his hand and simply say hello, at least it was off to a good start. With slow yet steady steps he made his way to the pdoum to give the adress, here goes nothing he thought before finally giving the address.

Mr. Vice-President, Mrs. Speaker, Honorable Members of Parliament and Dear Friends,[1]

Spoiler: show
I am most grateful for your invitation to address this Joint Session of Parliament in “the land of Order, Liberty and Equality ”. I would like to think that the reason for this is that I too am a son of this great country, from which we have all received so much and toward which we share a common responsibility.

Each son or daughter of a given country has a mission, a personal and social responsibility. Your own responsibility as members of Parliament is to enable this country, by your legislative activity, to grow as a nation. You are the face of its people, their representatives. You are called to defend and preserve the dignity of your fellow citizens in the tireless and demanding pursuit of the common good, for this is the chief aim of all politics. A political society endures when it seeks, as a vocation, to satisfy common needs by stimulating the growth of all its members, especially those in situations of greater vulnerability or risk. Legislative activity is always based on care for the people. To this you have been invited, called and convened by those who elected you.

Yours is a work which makes me reflect in two ways on the figure of Moses. On the one hand, the patriarch and lawgiver of the people of Vanora symbolizes the need of peoples to keep alive their sense of unity by means of just legislation. On the other, the figure of Moses leads us directly to God and thus to the transcendent dignity of the human being. Moses provides us with a good synthesis of your work: you are asked to protect, by means of the law, the image and likeness fashioned by God on every human face.

Today I would like not only to address you, but through you the entire people of Miteravia. Here, together with their representatives, I would like to take this opportunity to dialogue with the many thousands of men and women who strive each day to do an honest day’s work, to bring home their daily bread, to save money and –one step at a time – to build a better life for their families. These are men and women who are not concerned simply with paying their taxes, but in their own quiet way sustain the life of society. They generate solidarity by their actions, and they create organizations which offer a helping hand to those most in need.

I would also like to enter into dialogue with the many elderly persons who are a storehouse of wisdom forged by experience, and who seek in many ways, especially through volunteer work, to share their stories and their insights. I know that many of them are retired, but still active; they keep working to build up this land. I also want to dialogue with all those young people who are working to realize their great and noble aspirations, who are not led astray by facile proposals, and who face difficult situations, often as a result of immaturity on the part of many adults. I wish to dialogue with all of you, and I would like to do so through the historical memory of your people.

My visit takes place at a time when men and women of good will are marking the anniversaries of several great Miteravians. The complexities of history and the reality of human weakness notwithstanding, these men and women, for all their many differences and limitations, were able by hard work and self-sacrifice – some at the cost of their lives – to build a better future. They shaped fundamental values which will endure forever in the spirit of the Miteravian people. A people with this spirit can live through many crises, tensions and conflicts, while always finding the resources to move forward, and to do so with dignity. These men and women offer us a way of seeing and interpreting reality. In honoring their memory, we are inspired, even amid conflicts, and in the here and now of each day, to draw upon our deepest cultural reserves.

All of us are quite aware of, and deeply worried by, the disturbing social and political situation of the world today. Our world is increasingly a place of violent conflict, hatred and brutal atrocities, committed even in the name of God and of religion. We know that no religion is immune from forms of individual delusion or ideological extremism. This means that we must be especially attentive to every type of fundamentalism, whether religious or of any other kind. A delicate balance is required to combat violence perpetrated in the name of a religion, an ideology or an economic system, while also safeguarding religious freedom, intellectual freedom and individual freedoms. But there is another temptation which we must especially guard against: the simplistic reductionism which sees only good or evil; or, if you will, the righteous and sinners. The contemporary world, with its open wounds which affect so many of our brothers and sisters, demands that we confront every form of polarization which would divide it into these two camps. We know that in the attempt to be freed of the enemy without, we can be tempted to feed the enemy within. To imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place. That is something which you, as a people, reject.

Our response must instead be one of hope and healing, of peace and justice. We are asked to summon the courage and the intelligence to resolve today’s many geopolitical and economic crises. Even in the developed world, the effects of unjust structures and actions are all too apparent. Our efforts must aim at restoring hope, righting wrongs, maintaining commitments, and thus promoting the well-being of individuals and of peoples. We must move forward together, as one, in a renewed spirit of fraternity and solidarity, cooperating generously for the common good.

The challenges facing us today call for a renewal of that spirit of cooperation, which has accomplished so much good throughout the history of Miteravia. The complexity, the gravity and the urgency of these challenges demand that we pool our resources and talents, and resolve to support one another, with respect for our differences and our convictions of conscience.

In this land, the various religious denominations have greatly contributed to building and strengthening society. It is important that today, as in the past, the voice of faith continue to be heard, for it is a voice of fraternity and love, which tries to bring out the best in each person and in each society. Such cooperation is a powerful resource in the battle to eliminate new global forms of slavery, born of grave injustices which can be overcome only through new policies and new forms of social consensus.

Politics is, instead, an expression of our compelling need to live as one, in order to build as one the greatest common good: that of a community which sacrifices particular interests in order to share, in justice and peace, its goods, its interests, its social life. I do not underestimate the difficulty that this involves, but I encourage you in this effort.

In recent centuries, millions of people came to this land to pursue their dream of building a future in freedom. We, the people of this continent, are not fearful of foreigners, because most of us were once foreigners. Tragically, the rights of those who were here long before us were not always respected. For those peoples and their nations, from the heart of Miteravian democracy, I wish to reaffirm my highest esteem and appreciation. Those first contacts were often turbulent and violent, but it is difficult to judge the past by the criteria of the present. Nonetheless, when the stranger in our midst appeals to us, we must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past. We must resolve now to live as nobly and as justly as possible, as we educate new generations not to turn their back on our “neighbors” and everything around us. Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility in order to adopt one of reciprocal subsidiarity, in a constant effort to do our best. I am confident that we can do this.

Our world is facing a refugee crisis of a magnitude not seen since the Great War. This presents us with great challenges and many hard decisions. On other continents, too, thousands of persons are led to travel to ours in search of a better life for themselves and for their loved ones, in search of greater opportunities. Is this not what we want for our own children? We must not be taken aback by their numbers, but rather view them as persons, seeing their faces and listening to their stories, trying to respond as best we can to their situation. To respond in a way which is always humane, just and fraternal. We need to avoid a common temptation nowadays: to discard whatever proves troublesome. Let us remember the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” (Mt 7:12).

This Rule points us in a clear direction. Let us treat others with the same passion and compassion with which we want to be treated. Let us seek for others the same possibilities which we seek for ourselves. Let us help others to grow, as we would like to be helped ourselves. In a word, if we want security, let us give security; if we want life, let us give life; if we want opportunities, let us provide opportunities. The yardstick we use for others will be the yardstick which time will use for us. The Golden Rule also reminds us of our responsibility to protect and defend human life at every stage of its development.

This conviction has led me, from the beginning of my ministry, to advocate at different levels for the global abolition of the death penalty. I am convinced that this way is the best, since every life is sacred, every human person is endowed with an inalienable dignity, and society can only benefit from the rehabilitation of those convicted of crimes. Recently my worldwide brother bishops renewed their call for the abolition of the death penalty. Not only do I support them, but I also offer encouragement to all those who are convinced that a just and necessary punishment must never exclude the dimension of hope and the goal of rehabilitation.

How much progress has been made in this area in so many parts of the world! How much has been done in these first years of the third millennium to raise people out of extreme poverty! I know that you share my conviction that much more still needs to be done, and that in times of crisis and economic hardship a spirit of global solidarity must not be lost. At the same time I would encourage you to keep in mind all those people around us who are trapped in a cycle of poverty. They too need to be given hope. The fight against poverty and hunger must be fought constantly and on many fronts, especially in its causes. I know that many Miteravians today, as in the past, are working to deal with this problem.

It goes without saying that part of this great effort is the creation and distribution of wealth. The right use of natural resources, the proper application of technology and the harnessing of the spirit of enterprise are essential elements of an economy which seeks to be modern, inclusive and sustainable. “Business is a noble vocation, directed to producing wealth and improving the world. It can be a fruitful source of prosperity for the area in which it operates, especially if it sees the creation of jobs as an essential part of its service to the common good” (Laudato Si’, 129). This common good also includes the earth, a central theme of the encyclical which I recently wrote in order to “enter into dialogue with all people about our common home” (ibid., 3). “We need a conversation which includes everyone, since the environmental challenge we are undergoing, and its human roots, concern and affect us all” (ibid., 14).

In Laudato Si’, I call for a courageous and responsible effort to “redirect our steps” (ibid., 61), and to avert the most serious effects of the environmental deterioration caused by human activity. I am convinced that we can make a difference and I have no doubt that Miteravia – and this Parliament – have an important role to play. Now is the time for courageous actions and strategies, aimed at implementing a “culture of care” (ibid., 231) and “an integrated approach to combating poverty, restoring dignity to the excluded, and at the same time protecting nature” (ibid., 139). “We have the freedom needed to limit and direct technology” (ibid., 112); “to devise intelligent ways of… developing and limiting our power” (ibid., 78); and to put technology “at the service of another type of progress, one which is healthier, more human, more social, more integral” (ibid., 112). In this regard, I am confident that Miteravia’s outstanding academic and research institutions can make a vital contribution in the years ahead.

From this perspective of dialogue, I would like to recognize the efforts made in recent months to help overcome historic differences linked to painful episodes of the past. It is my duty to build bridges and to help all men and women, in any way possible, to do the same. When countries which have been at odds resume the path of dialogue – a dialogue which may have been interrupted for the most legitimate of reasons – new opportunities open up for all. This has required, and requires, courage and daring, which is not the same as irresponsibility. A good political leader is one who, with the interests of all in mind, seizes the moment in a spirit of openness and pragmatism. A good political leader always opts to initiate processes rather than possessing spaces (cf. Evangelii Gaudium, 222-223).

Being at the service of dialogue and peace also means being truly determined to minimize and, in the long term, to end the many armed conflicts throughout our world. Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood. In the face of this shameful and culpable silence, it is our duty to confront the problem and to stop the arms trade.

It is also my wish that throughout my visit the family should be a recurrent theme. How essential the family has been to the building of this country! And how worthy it remains of our support and encouragement! Yet I cannot hide my concern for the family, which is threatened, perhaps as never before, from within and without. Fundamental relationships are being called into question, as is the very basis of marriage and the family. I can only reiterate the importance and, above all, the richness and the beauty of family life.

In particular, I would like to call attention to those family members who are the most vulnerable, the young. For many of them, a future filled with countless possibilities beckons, yet so many others seem disoriented and aimless, trapped in a hopeless maze of violence, abuse and despair. Their problems are our problems. We cannot avoid them. We need to face them together, to talk about them and to seek effective solutions rather than getting bogged down in discussions. At the risk of oversimplifying, we might say that we live in a culture which pressures young people not to start a family, because they lack possibilities for the future. Yet this same culture presents others with so many options that they too are dissuaded from starting a family.

In these remarks I have sought to present some of the richness of your cultural heritage, of the spirit of the Miteravian people. It is my desire that this spirit continue to develop and grow, so that as many young people as possible can inherit and dwell in a land which has inspired so many people to dream.

God bless Miteravia!

Now the Pope waited for the moment whether the Parliament approved of his rather long address...or not.

1. Edited speech from pope Francis' visit to the Congress

Offline Miteravia

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »
The parliament erupted with applause, many MPs took to their feet in standing ovation. The 11 LOM MPs were as expected sat, clapping slowly to the point of almost sarcasm, however the other 390 or so people in the room had made this minority of 11 almost unnoticeable. Note worthy was the fact that an MP from the Old Guard had actually taken his seat, as he personally was a Catholic, the first time since the election that a Guardsman had occupied a seat in parliament.
Speaker Bareš returned from the wings and stood next to the Pope.
'Thank you, Your Holiness, for that most beautiful and heartfelt speech. Members of Parliament and dignitaries please join me in another round of applause.' She encouraged.
And her request was not left wanting as the room once again exploded into motion.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
As Pope Peter II exited the podium, many of the parliamentarians were applauding like never before and chanting his name over and over again. "Thank you...God Bless" Peter said repeatedly while passing through many of his newfound fans. It perhaps only took between 20-30 minutes to fullfill that speech, so plenty of time before the mass though he of course had to be there a bit early to prepare in time. It was thus an opportunity to host discussions in the Parliament in regards of a possible treaty between Miteravia and the Ecclesiastical State, it was negotiating time.