Author Topic: A honeymoon in the Empire of Tamora (closed)  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
A honeymoon in the Empire of Tamora (closed)
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:10:06 PM »
Addressed to His Majesty Akakios Soter, King of Royal Seleucid

Old friend, allow me to congratulate you on marring your forth wife. She is a very beautiful woman and I am sure she will make you very happy. I can't believe it's been so long since we got a chance to talk face to face in a less formal manner. Last time we had a private chat you never mentioned anything about a fourth wife. So please, come to Djerb for a short private visit, we have a lot to catch up. I won't take no for an answer. Not after the "international context" forced me to stay away from your wedding.   
   I look forward to seeing you as soon as possible.

Your dear friend,
Abbas Safavid
Emperor of Tamora

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: A honeymoon in the Empire of Tamora (closed)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »

To:- Abbas

I am always overjoyed to visit your beautiful homeland and on this occasion will look forward even more to introducing my new Queen to you. Oksana and myself married very quickly, with just four weeks between meeting and marriage therefore being little opportunity for discussion beyond our own families. We shall arrive in the next few days when convenient and look forward to sharing a few days with friends before undertaking visits across Aranye.

Regards Always

King Akakois

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:12 AM »
The Emperor was genuinely looking forward to the informal visit from the King of Seleucid. Tamora always had an isolationist streak when it came to world affairs and an expansionist policy towards its neighbors. That combination didn't leave room for many friends among foreign leaders. In fact, not counting the King of Seleucid, the Emperor would be hard pressed to find even one world leader with whom he had warm relations with, let alone a friend.

He had ordered his palace slaves to make arrangements so that the Imperial palace would have plenty of social events scheduled with the nobility of the Empire and entertainment so that King Soter and his new wife would not get bored on their honeymoon. Of course, he also arranged for his private retreat to be ready in case the newlyweds needed more privacy. Not that a mammoth complex like the Imperial palace didn't offer enough privacy but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Emperor Abbas instructed his first wife to get ready and had the Imperial limousine convoy travel to the airport. He wouldn't let his friend arrive at the airport only to be greeted by a lowly duke or worse, by some bureaucrat. He also made sure the red carpet was arranged and the military fanfare corps were ready to sing the Royal Seleucid national anthem when the King would arrive. Tamorans in general and the Emperor in particular tended to be formal people, so it was no surprise that Abbas cared about protocol. Not having a minimum of pomposity was seen as disrespectful as if you didn't care for your guests.

Once the King's plane had stopped and prepared the stairs, the Emperor and his wife got out of the car, and proceed to the stairs. He waited patiently until the plane opened the door and the royal couple went down the stairs. As the King reached Tamoran soil, the Emperor greeted him in a cordial manner and extended his hand:

"Akakios, my friend. Welcome to Tamora. Is good to see you again." Seleucid was the second most spoken language in the Empire and both Abbas and his wife spoke it fluently.

He then proceeded to greet the king's new wife and introduce his wife, Alya, to her. While not disrespectful, the Emperor obviously didn't care much for the new Queen and offered the minimum of courtesy and attention required by protocol. This wasn't just because of his views that women held a lower status than men, it was also the fact that he didn't know her and that added to his distrust.

He then proceed to invite his guests to one of the limousines of his convoy but not before saluting the fanfare corps for singing the anthems of both their countries. He always demanded respect and formality from those serving him but he also made sure to acknowledge their presence and return the courtesy. This was an informal visit but that was no reason to have the Seleucid couple share the same limousine, their status demanded a separate car so regardless of how close their relationship was, any private talk will have to wait until they reached the palace.

The drive to the Imperial palace did not take long, the police made sure of that by stopping the traffic for them. Also, a couple of Tamoran jet fights flew above the limousine convoy. They served no other purpose than show the people of the city and the media of the country that the Emperor was traveling with an important guest, a typical show Tamoran courtesy for the guests.

Upon reaching the palace a small army of palace slaves appeared, had the luggage carried and attended to the needs of the Seleucid guests. The Royal couple were invited to have a meal in the private dining room of the Emperor.

In the private dining room, it was just the four of them at the table plus four house slaves to assist each of them during the meal. In the Imperial palace that was as private and secluded as you can get. Emperor Abbas was glad to finally have the opportunity talk with the Seleucid King and to catch up on the latest developments:

"So Akakios, what have you been up to?" he then gave a glance at the Seleucid Queen before looking back at the King and resumed:

"I see you're doing good. You always had a fine taste in women and I see that hasn't changed".

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »
The King was pleased to meet his old friend and shook his hand warmly using both his own, "Good to see you old friend" he beamed, "We missed you at the wedding but, well I was so keen to marry Oksana I just couldn't wait. Speaking of which allow me to present my forth Queen, Oksana" he took hold of her hand and guided her forward to meet the Emperor, she gave a small bend of the knee as a sign of respect but said very little. "I couldn't have thought of a better place for her first official visit as my Queen." Akakios greeted Alya with a bow of his head before allowing the two female royals to greet each other respectfully, all for the view of the watching media.

As they made their way to the waiting car the King didn't let go of Oksana's hand who followed half a step slower than her husband. She'd been Mayor of a small town back home in Lodja, but that wasn't a difficult role to have acquired seeing as the town was practically owned by her mother. Official occasions as mayor had seen some pagentry but nothing such as this, it made her feel a little awkward, it was a marriage of convenience for both parties but her new husband had shown her warmth and care which was as much as she may have got from any other wedding her mother contracted for her.

"Oksana and myself meet at the Jewel of the Desert festival, there among all the pretty diamonds I found the most precious one of all" he gripped her hand gently, "Any man's dream, a beautiful young wife and the added bonus that her mother will now open up the Lodjain trade markets to our people, a win all across the board" he smiled. "Since then I've been leaving most of the day to day running of the country to my two boys, about time they took on some responsibility. They've been dealing with those savages from the Iwi mainly." Oksana shifted uneasily in her chair as her new husband began a whole rant about the Maori being savages using some rather appalling racist terms for them. "Still they are an insignificant spot on Mundus, unlike our two nations, so what about yourself. We have heard very little from yourself in recent months. I mean we missed you at the festival in the desert. I know many of our jewellrey traders missed you too" He suddenly realised something and called on one of the slaves who he whispered to before the hurried off returning a few minutes later. "Give it my wife" he pointed to Oksana who was given a small wooden box. "Go on dear" he urged.

The Lodjian stood nervously and made her way towards the Emperor, Akakois gave her an encouraging tap on the backside as though urging her to go on in the same manner you may encourage a horse. "This is a gift from ourselves as a thank you for your hospitality and a mark of friendship between our families" She spoke in heavily accented Seleucid, a language she had intensively been learning only a few months now since moving there. She handed the slim wooden box over, it contained two watches, one male and one female each almost identicially made from gold. "We hope they please you" she returned to her seat and her husband kissed her on the cheek.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
As King Akakios talked about how he met his most recent wife, Emperor Abbas noticed how the King gently gripped the hand of his new wife. It wasn't the first gesture like this, he noticed something similar when they met at the airport. For Tamorans such public displays of affection were inappropriate, spouses rarely even touched each other while in public. Not that it bothered Abbas, he just found it strange. He didn't have time to ponder on the issue because King Akakios started talking about the Iwi and their aggressive actions against the Royal Seleucid. Emperor Abbas listened closely as the subject was of much interest to him. He noticed that Queen Oksana seemed a bit uncomfortable when her husband was talking frank about the savage Iwi. He remembered how his friend, Akakios mentioned earlier that she was from Lodja. Abbas thought that Queen Oksana wasn't trustworthy since she was not seeing the enemies of her husband as her enemies, and that fueled his dislike of her.   

Abbas turned his attention to the King who was still describing the trouble the Iwi were causing him. Abbas was well aware about the long history between the two peoples. Unlike the Royal Seleucid, which always was a maritime power, Tamora didn't have access to the sea until 1958 when they annexed their latest kingdom. So Tamora didn't take part in the sea trade of slaves that the Seleucid Kingdom used to be so invested in. However, Tamora was a major buyer of those slaves and unlike the Seleucids, the Empire never liberated its slaves. So Abbas knew that the Iwi will sooner or later come for Tamora, too. When King Akakios took a short break from his speech about the Iwi, Abbas intervened:

"I couldn't agree more with what you said. However, I don't blame the Iwi so much. Sure, they are responsible for the reprehensible attacks against Royal Seleucid but I blame their allies, the CNN, more. They are the ones who encourage this behavior. Without their backing the Iwi would know their place. It's the EM, Lodja, UC and ES that prop them up. It is because of them that the Iwi had the audacity to bomb the fertilizer plant and send a sub in your territorial waters".

Abbas, took the newly gifted watch and passed the box to his wife. He examined it, tried it on and thanked the King for his gift. His wife did something similar but was careful to thank both of them for the gifts.

"Sorry I missed the festival. The internal politics of Tamora have eaten almost all my time. The corporate families and the nobility keep pressing me to expand the market of Tamora. The former want somewhere  to sell their goods since they are more and more uncompetitive on the world market and the later want to move up, the barons want to become counts, the count dukes etc. They are pleased with how the annexation of Attica, out latest addition to the empire, went and want to see the Empire grow again. What they don't realize is that this isn't 1958 anymore. Mundus is a much smaller place now, alliances like CNN and LISA make expansion hard if not impossible. If you also add in the reformists who what to level Tamora and turn it into a dysfunctional democracy, you get a sense of what I had to deal with. On the bright side, I have managed to contain the reformists for now so you'll get to see more of me in the future" Abbas smiles in a friendly manner before resuming:

"I almost forgot, I have a small favor to ask. I have arranged for a Circassian ballet show just for you. They had some shows in the Kingdom of Vojvodina but they cancelled everything to make it to Djerb for you. I believe you'll like it, it's a special mix of theater and ballet. And the piece you'll see is written especially for an occasion such as the one you are having. "

For the first time the entire evening, Alya talked without being spoken to and addressed the Queen:

"The Kingdom of Vojvodina is one of the five kingdoms of the Empire. And the Circassians are originally from another country but were forced to move in the late XIXth century. The great grandfather of the Emperor allowed them to stay here. I know how all this can be confusing, Tamora is complicated at first glance." she explained to the young Queen in a calm and polite manner, trying her best to make her feel more comfortable.

"Oh, yes. My great grandfather had a choice: to enslave them or to let them settle on Tamoran land. He made the right choice in allowing them to stay as free people. They turned out to be among the most loyal people in the Empire. So if that's okay with you, we'll leave in about an hour and half."

The Imperial family and their guests arrived quickly and the Djeb Theater and used the special access from the underground parking in order to avoid unnecessary attention. There they used the elevator which took them just a few feet from the central balcony. The huge concert hall was without any light expect from some dim lights on the floor that offered them the minimum of lighting required to get to their chairs. Once they were seated, an announcement was made trough out the hall:

"It is our great pleasure to have as guests HM the King of Seleucid and his Fourth wife, Queen Oksana." as the announcement was finished the lights were gradually turned on revealing packed hall. Anybody that was something in the Imperial Enclave was there and they were all standing, looking at the central balcony were the two royal couples were sitting and clapping their hands as a sign of respect for the Royal couple of Seleucid. The clapping continued for about a minute until the Emperor whispered to the Seleucid King:

"They will keep on clapping until you wave them to stop."

Once the King waved at the spectators to stop, they took their seats, the lights were dimmed again but this time the spots were turned on for the stage.

A new announcement was heard again:

"With the permission of the King, the final part of the show will now begin"

And just like that play started:

Looking at the play it was not hard to imagine why it was success in Tamora. It gad everything Tamorans liked: elegance, beauty, opulence but also formality, rigidity and most important the couples on stage never touched. Even the main couple, when they briefly touched, their skin never made contact.

Spoiler: show
 link to the clip in case the embeded youtube clip doesn't work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkEL8umfBQ&

Once the play ended, the light shifted to the central balcony where the two couples watched. The Emperor rose and stated clapping. His wife followed him in an instant and with them all the spectators present. Every ten seconds or so that the Emperor kept clapping made the actors more relieved until they finally started smiling. After almost one and a half minute of constant clapping the actors where overwhelmed with the show of respect they got. To get to perform before the Emperor was a privilege, to get to perform for the Emperor and his foreign guests and to be publicly appreciated was a dream come true. Not just for them, but also for the small  Circassians nation in Tamora. After almost two minutes, the Emperor stopped and addressed the King" I hope you enjoyed the show, my friend. I got a little carried away but I really liked it".

Once back at the Imperial Palace, Emperor Abbas excused himself to his guests:

"Please forgive me my friend, but it's late and the family is waiting for me to lead the evening... in our case, late night prayer. Will you agree to see us again in the morning for breakfast maybe?"

The next morning, while the two couples were heading for the dining room to have breakfast, Alya guided the Queen in the dining with some pretext giving the two men a chance to be alone. Abbas quickly took advantage of the opportunity and said to the Seleucid King:

"I didn't get the chance to talk more yesterday. I know during the latest Iwi incidents I wasn't very vocal or active but that will change. I also want to thank you having the honeymoon here. It means a lot to us." 

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »
As Abbas talked about the Iwi situation Akakois could see his new wife glance down as their host mentioned her homeland, he suspected Abbas was right that the backing of these nations through the CNN had emboldened the Maori of the Iwi however he also felt a need to support his wife. "I think you'll find the Lodjains are not like that, out of the various CNN nations they will be the voice of reason, after all my Mother-in-law occupies a position of influence there as a Duchess and me beloved here was until recently a Mayor of a pretty little town. The Lodjains certainly know how to pick good leadership material" he hoped his words had pleased his wife as he did wish her to be happy in his company despite suspecting her was more thrilled with their marriage than she was. "Expansion today is different" Akakois suggested, "It is discreet, it is more economic, you get your nations interests represented abroad. One of the benefits of my marriage....apart from the obvious, is that it opened up the Lodjain market to my nation, what with their silly little habits of society" he explained, "Now we have the ability to trade their unhinded, and I am sure that my wife here could seek to open up similar doors, especially if you can help her family out." He suddenly burst out laughing, "Why Oksana here even has a younger sister that is unmarried, we could have matching Lodjain brides and be related through marriage" he chuckled before apologising the Abbas' wife, "Sorry just the thought amused me for a moment"

Akakois wasn't one for performing arts of the kind Abbas had arranged, however back home Oksana had sought to turn her little Mayordom into a centre for art, music, the theatre and other such practices. The King therefore was happy to attend, if it pleased Oksana then he'd happily sit through the performance and almost as soon as Abbas had informed him of the tradition of clapping until he waved he did so urging Oksana to do so to. He bowed graciously to the audience thanking them for their kindness before taking his seat. The King however was used to feigning interest in such things, his beloved daughter Thekla was a musician at heart and he often went to her performances and accompanied her to shows. Oksana however found it fascinating and joined the Emperor in clapping and embracing the performance, "Its so different to Lodjain dancing" she said warmly as the performance came to an end.

As they returned to the Emperors home he wished them a good night, "It is us who should thank you. A chance to relax a little somewhere away from the gossip of home, away from children and with luck make a few more" he smiled broadly as he and Oksana made their way to their bed chamber where Oksana resigned herself to one of the King's brief attempts at fathering yet another child.

The following morning the King slept in rather late than he did at home before meeting their hosts for breakfast only too happy to let the women venture off. "I do not doubt your support friend" the King said in response to the Iwi situation, "You do what you can when you can, I have no doubt we shall prevail in the end." he said confidently

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »
Emperor Abbas listened carefully as King Akakios defended Lodja. He did not wish to press the issue but made a note to be more careful about the issue in future. The Lodjain woman he married clearly had influence over him. It made sense Abbas thought, Akakios was always the more liberal one, allowing his wives in particular and women in general more liberties than he would ever do. Just as he was about to give a polite nod, he heard Akakios speaking about Oksana unmarried sister. He smiled at the thought and considered the idea more than he probably should. Before he got a chance to say something, his wife Alya answered the king:

"No need to apologize, Your Majesty. I am no longer young and the Emperor should take a new wife. We all want what's best for our husbands and taking a new, younger, wife helps our husbands and our families". Alya smiled as she looked at the royal Seleucid couple.

At the theater the Emperor was pleased to see the Seleucid Queen enjoying the dance. He couldn't help but remember what Akakios said about her having a younger sister.
"I am pleased you liked the dance. Tamora is proud of its diverse and unique culture" said Alya to the young Queen.

As the four were having the late breakfast and the house slaves were attending to their needs, Abbas moved the discussion to a more serious matter:

"My friend, you said that these days expansion is different, more economic in focus. I agree the international context in different and it makes traditional forms of expansion a lot more difficult but we are not ready to give up our ways. However, we also have to adapt. The issue with the Iwi, and them having the backing of the CNN, makes them a threat. I believe me need to close ranks. We have a long history together, not just the two of us, but our two countries. There is trust between us, we can count on each other to not back away like the ES did at the first sight of trouble. So I propose, my friend, two things. First, to coordinate our sales of oil and gas, so that we can have a say on the world stage, one that cannot be easily ignored. And the second, to agree to a mutual defense treaty. We share a large border together, by becoming allies we can focus our resources elsewhere and let our enemies know that they do not stand a chance. It's no secret that Tamora has never been a naval power and it still isn't. Our focus is land and always will be. We can help defend the Emirate should the need arise. Also, the Royal Seleucid navy is a formidable force and can help us depend the Empire should a foreign invader come by sea. So what do you say, my friend?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »
The King had enjoyed a leisurely morning and had left his wife to finish readying herself for the day to go and get breakfast. He'd had some time to sit and talk together with Abbas before Oksana joined them. He waited for his host to finish talking before turning to his wife, "As much as it pains me I think sitting discussing affairs of state may not be to your liking and I never wish you to be unhappy" he reached into his inside pocket of his blazer and removed a bank card, "Why don't you have a morning exploring and then we can catch up at lunch, find some gifts for your step-children perhaps" he kissed her on the cheek as she knew her pressence was no longer needed. Akakois watched her leave without a backwards glance and only when out of view did he turn his attention back to Abbas.

"I love my wife of course" he began, "But she is Lodjain and I am under no illusion that her being with me may be more political than romantic, but marriage has always been that way. She is a wife willing to perform the duties required of her and in that manner I know she is perfect, but when we discuss the CNN we must remember she is from Lodja, a CNN nation and I would not wish to test her loyalties when she has been a Seleucid for such a short period" He hoped Abbas understood. "Now in terms of us sharing a deal about sales of our resources that is something I have been trying to do already with the oil producing nation of Foxtrove, and I think perhaps turning a duo into a trio would add even more influence, with that in mind I think we can certainly work something out." The King scratched his whitening beard before continuing, "Perhaps we can come to an agreement where the Royal Seleucid navy extends its patrols into our EEZ but not your territorial waters, it gives the world the view we are co-operating on matters such as smuggling, anti-piracy and the like but also that you maintain control of your territorial waters, I'd be happy to make that reciprical, your nations navy may also patrol into our EEZ. Perhaps we should explore some common policies regarding EEZ, such as boat environmental controls and the like. This would make this joint policing much easier, what do you think? Now as for mutual defence I think that sounds like a fine idea, should either of us be attacked without provocation the other shall lend its support?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »
As the King politely instructed his wife to go shopping, Alya quickly exchanged glances with her husband, excused herself and went after Oksana:

"Dear Queen, would you mind if I come along with you? I know a perfect shop where you can buy some souvenirs."

The two women left the Imperial palace in a small convey of seven limousines. There must have been at least a dozen security guards with them. For a woman of the status such as the one the First wife to the Emperor had, it was a low profile convoy. As the convoy drove to their destination, the cars often slowed down in traffic allowing the passengers to take a glimpse at the pedestrians. Regular Tamorans were dressed very conservative and despite the heat none wore shorts or short sleeves. Also, most women covered their hair just as the Alya did. Religious symbols abounded all over the city. They were present not just on window apartments but also in windows shops , street ads and especially street art. Some Tamorans were making the sign of the cross as the passed near a church, other were sitting on the bench praying and there were even street preachers in the most crowded intersections reading passages from their holy books. Religion was everywhere in Djerb and an integral part of people's lives.

Spoiler: show
Street ads and art in Djerb

On their way to the shop, Alya told the young Queen a little about the Imperial enclave or Tamora proper as it was commonly known. How is was the original kingdom and the only one under the direct administration of the Emperor. It was also the most conservative of all kingdoms of the Empire, here the Manist religion, specific to Tamora, greatly influenced the life of regular Tamorans. Alya did not linger much on the subject and instead did her best to entertain the Queen by asking her about her family and what hobbies she enjoyed the most. 

They soon reached their destination, a luxurious multi storey jewelry shop. The establishment, like most amenities in the Imperial enclave, was segregated by sex, so the security guards waited outside. Once inside, the salesclerk immediately recognized Alya, bowed and welcomed her. She quickly signaled to one of the slave girls to change the sign the door to closed. All staff then proceeded to give their full support and attention to the two royal customers. Alya, made sure to formally present Oksana to the sales staff, mentioning her title and adding she was special guest for the Imperial family. All women bowed and switched to Seleucid as a sign of respect. Not all of them spoke fluently and apologized for it to the young Queen.   

There were no prices shown for any of the items on sale and the Queen found it peculiar that whenever she asked about prices, the staff were visibly uncomfortable, trying to make excuses for why they do not know and constantly apologizing for not being able to answer. Alya overheard the discussion and intervened:

"My dear Queen, here in Tamora we tend not worry about prices as that might be interpreted as being somewhat short on money. As our honored guest, the staff knows they can never tell you how much any of this costs since they embarrass me and the Emperor. Please, buy whatever you please. The Emperor will pay for it. It's a small gift from us for such a joyous occasion. Which reminds me..." she shows the Queen two gold diamond bracelets with the seal of Tamora engraved on them. "It's a little something for your mother and sister." before the Queen even had a chance to reply Alya continued hastily " Please, take them. The Emperor would never take no for an answer".

Alya offered the Queen her full attention helping her with advice on what to buy and was ready to show her any other shops she may be interested in. All in all, their husbands had a lot of time for themselves to talk about politics.   
Back in the Imperial Palace, the two heads of state talked about their potential partnership.

Abbas was relieved when the King politely invited his wife to leave them alone for the talk. He wanted them to talk in private from the start but was afraid that would displease his friend. As the King explained how he loves his wife but doesn't want to test her loyalty, Abbas admired his friend cunning. The King was very much in control, he might show his new wife too much affection for his taste but he was full control.

"No, I understand perfectly" said Abbas to the Seleucid King. " Alya had already planned to invite your wife for a shopping session and some sightseeing."
"I'm impressed about how far your influence has reached, my friend. Foxtrove? They are not exactly in our proximity. Not only do I not mind having it a trio but I believe in order for our association to be truly influential we need as many resources exporting countries as possible to join us. I thank you for your proposal for the RS navy to patrol our EEZ waters, their help is needed and I appreciate you are willing to allow  our modest navy to do the same in return, even if our help will be mostly symbolic. This cooperation is important not just for the world to see the EEZ is firmly in our control but also for our potential partners in the association of resources exporting nations. Our close cooperation will ensure we are the heart or engine of the association, greatly swinging the other members our way. As far as the mutual policies are concerned, I am in full support as long as it does not infringe on our sovereignty. Whatever we agree on, it will remain a bilateral agreement and not subject to foreign courts. "

"As to the mutual defense, that's exactly the idea. It formalize what was already in our hearts, so to speak. That aggression and war between us is unthinkable and should one of us be attacked without provocation, the other will not remain indifferent. The way I see it friend, it would just inform our institutions and the rest of the world what were already assumed in our mutual relations."

"Also, if I may ask, when are the UC troops on your soil due to leave? You will excuse me for wanting to see them gone as soon as possible. Having foreign troops from the CNN or LISA close to Tamora always unsettles me. I'm sure the UC are a fine nation but I'm sure they too would mind if we had troops so close to their nation." 

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
Oksana had grown up in a culture where gift giving was common but it always had some agenda be it part of a business deal, trying to earn the favour of certain nobles or a way of buying loyalty of the Plebs. It was only within families that gifts were truly without any meaning other than love. Being alone with Alya made her a little nervous because while she was used to diplomatic style talks as a mayor this was a different game, international politics brought much more pressure and she knew everyone in the room would be making judgements. "Your Majesty is too generous" she said as she accepted the gifts, "I hope that next year I can return your hospitality when you and your family come and visit the Jewel of the Desert Festival. I'm sure my family would be thrilled to see you there" She was confident that Akakois wouldn't make any objection after all these were his friends and having neighbours to visit was a vital part of international relations. "Perhaps you'd even consider a trip to my homeland, with my Mother's connections and my own I am sure the two families could take part in one of their many royal balls, they often say its not a weekend in Gaia unless the Island of the Goddess is hosting a ball." she explained as she examined the goods of the shop picking out a few items for her new step-children.

"I'd like to take my step-daughters" using the term still sounded odd, some of them were as old if not older than her but she was now their mother of sorts, "something to wear that screams tradition from your nation." she asked advice.

Speaking of the joint operations the King had been pleased with the answer, "Now, its rather bold but our nation is considering a new missile boat, fast response, packs a punch, rather small but deadly." Akakois began explaining, "Here" he passed his smartphone over with an image on the screen. "Its based of an existing hull of ours but the layout above is brand new, it'll cost us about $50million per vessel, not dirty cheap but much cheaper than fancy destroyers, strength in numbers so to speak. Would you be interested in sharing the development costs?" Akakois suspected the vessel could be rather handy if things with the Iwi continued for the next few years.

"As to the Cenneg soldiers, they leave in two years.....truth be told they have been a boon to the economy in that zone and without them I suspect we would have seen the Morelanders and Achkaerin military steam roll us and....well I would have been blamed for this genocide nonsense not my cousin.....whom they believe started a coup while I was out the nation. The Cenneg did us a favour and despite the fact they wear skirts you will find them a rather affable group. Two years is not long to wait in the grand scheme of it and they are not in big enough numbers to challenge us if push comes to shove, its more a symbolic gesture." Akakois shrugged, "Patience is a virtue so they say" he grinned.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:31:15 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 11:35:50 PM »
Alya listened to the young queen's invitations, smiled and nodded. She liked her youth and found her somewhat naive which increased her fondness of her especially when considering the Queen was about half her age.

"Something that screams tradition you say? In that case I know just the place."

They left the jewelry store got in the car and instructed the driver to go the "Lotus Temple. As the temple was within reach, Alya explained to the young Queen:

"This is our most recent built Manist temple here in Djerb. The temple also has clothing stores that belong the them."

Spoiler: Lotus temple • show

A Manist Temple in Djerb, opened in 2016

Just as with the previous store, this was also a women only establishment and the guards waited outside. Once inside, the same ritual and presentations took place with the store clerks. Alya whispered something in the year of one of the slave girls and she quickly rushed away. Alya resumed:

"Here in Tamora, in case you haven't noticed by now, women put a lot of accent on modesty and covering their bodies. There are a lot of religious differences in style of clothing of course but two garments are particular to Tamora: the battoulah and the kurhars." as she spoke a couple of slave girls came in wearing either golden masks or hats resembling turbans.

"The battoulah as you can see must be golden and never have any precious stones on it. The kurhars however, come in various colors. If that is not to your taste, then a more generic headscarf would do but these two "scream of Tamoran tradition" and you'd be hard-pressed to find another place that still makes and widely uses them."

Spoiler: battoulah and kurhars  • show

A slave girl wearing a battoulah

A slave girl wearing a kurhars

Not more than half an hour must have passed until another slave girl came in the room and said:

"The show is ready, your majesty. Please, follow me."

The two women followed the slave girl through a long corridor at the end of which they entered a large empty room with a stage in the center. Alya moved towards the stage and once she reached the first row of seats said to the Seleucid queen:

"Please have a seat. I thought I'd put on a little private fashion show for you so you get a chance to see some of our fashion. Maybe you'll find something you like."

Models came on stage wearing various versions of abaya clothing. Religion had a big influence in Tamora, and fashion was no exception. The largest trendsetters when it came to fashion were religion institutions. And the Manist religion had by far the largest influence in the Imperial enclave. Modeling in Tamora, especially in the ultra conservative parts like Djerb, was seen as a demeaning job and no honorable husband or father would let his wife or daughters do it so all models on stage were slaves.

Spoiler:  A private fashion show for the Queen • show

The fashion show must have taken about an hour. At the end of the show, a woman entered the large room and approached Alya and the Queen. Alya got up and presented the lady to the Queen:

"This is Musaevna Kadyrov, the fashion designer which works we had the pleasure to see."   

Spoiler: Musaevna Kadyrov • show

Musaevna Kadyrov, first and only wife of Morad Kadyrov, one of the wealthiest men in Tamora with a net work of over $90bln. They are the sole shareholders of the Kadyrov Industries, the largest arms manufacturer in Tamora. Their connections with the Safavid Imperial family, their huge wealth and long family history dating back to the XV th century makes them arguably the most influential of the corporate noble families of Tamora.

"Is is an honor to meet you, your royal majesty. I came as soon as I heard that you are considering some of the cloths I designed. I hope at least one of the abaya you've seen was to your liking. Should none of them meet your standards I came show you some more. The girls are ready to make another run. Please excuse our lack of preparation, I had no idea you would be honoring us with your presence." she addressed the Queen in perfect Seleucid. Although extremely polite, the woman radiated confidence.
Musaevna and Alya continued to attend the Queen, showing her various garments, head scarfs, battoulahs and kurhars. If Oksana sowed any interest in a garment, Musaevna would insist she had it as a gift.

Back at the Imperial Palace, Abbas was looking at the proposed missile boat. Tamoran emperors dreamed for centuries of having access to the sea. Now that Tamora finally did, Abbas were beginning to find out just how costly it was to protect the sea. He, like most in the military, saw the navy as a nuisance, a money drain without any real benefit. Benefit in this case meant ways of expanding into neighboring countries. The words "strength in numbers" went directly  to the heart of the Emperor. The Tamoran military always favored numbers to overtly expensive equipment.

"Looks interesting, and at $50 million apiece they won't drain our budget too much. Tell me more of this project, how much would it cost to develop them, how long until production can start and where would they be built. My generals are very skeptical about foreign equipment. So if they are built in RS it would be fine but if it's a third country that might raise some issues with us. Also, how are the maintenance costs? We are careful about this as we want them to be kept in good condition and not rot away in out ports like some nations do.   
We would need quite a few for our navy. Especially now when the Paracambi have become so aggressive. They act like jackals, strong with words knowing they have the ocean protecting them. They wouldn't have the same attitude if they'd be bordering us. "
as Abbas mentioned the Paracambi he was detached and did not let any sign of emotion show or use any demeaning language about them. His attitude resembled more of that of a doctor talking about cancer.

At one point during their discussions, Abbas said:

"I need a favor, my friend. Can you get me in contact with the duchess from Lodja, the mother our your recent wife? I want to see if we can come to a similar agreement. Would that be okay with you? We know each other a long time, it wouldn't be a problem if you'd have objections. I promise to not bring it up again if you have the slightest concern. "

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
A temple that also had clothing stores, it was a strange nation indeed and if it shared some of the similarities of her new homeland Oksana had a lot to learn. She may now on paper be a follower of the Seleucid's religion but it was clear she still had an affinity for Sessifet, the mother Goddess who had saved humanity from the wrath of the other Gods sacrificing her physical form to ensure the survival of her children. Even their stance on covering up the body was strange to a Lodjain, the human body was a copy of Sessifets and so was a thing of beauty, visit any Lodjain estate and it would be full of statues, paintings and other art works depicting the practically nude human form, physical beauty was considered the greatest blessing Sessifet could give a person. As the presentation of traditional attire was presented it was clear which she would pick.

"I'm trying to introduce my new family to some of our traditions from back home" Oksana began, "In Lodja when a young noble lady turns 17 she is expected to begin taking part in the nations hectic social calender, the highlights of which are masked balls, women are expected to wear something very similar to the battoulah." Oksana explained, "I think we'll be hosting some in Ipsus this autumn and so I think a selection of them would be perfect gifts." She said as she began making selections of the battoulah for her step-daughters, something that still sounded odd to her to say. As the fashion show began and Alya explained about the models she couldn't help but smile, it was yet another difference between here and her native home. There even the Queen's entourage of noble ladies were seen as fashion icons and women to emulate, occasionally they were even asked to wear the new creations of major designers just for promotional purposes, yet here slaves were used. As she meet the designer she placed orders for a couple of the designs, "In Lodja there are fashion events all the time especially at my mother's resorts, I'd be honored to send her your details, I'm sure she could include you in some of them. She's always looking for something unique for her patrons." She knew her role well was to support her families business interests, that was why her mother had arranged this marriage and so Oksana figured she had best make use of her links.

Akakois was pleased his friend and host liked the idea of the boat. "Ah forgive me Abbas" the King held an apologetic hand up, "I must explain, the design work I have very little knowledge on, you know me I was never one for the military, I trained as an architect. Ask me to build you something to live in and no problem naval fighting machines....well that's a mystery, I will however ask my son Heydar to pass on the details. He's a Wing Commander in our Air Force now, also our Minister of Defence and has the final say in our military procurement. As for Paracambi we shall of course take a supporting stance, we shall immediately cease trade with them much as they have with you and I may have a way around their boycott. Ship your products through us, we'll stick "Made in Royal Seleucid" labels on the stuff and fill in the paperwork. They'll be manufactured by us as far as the world is concerned." Akakois hoped it would help, naturally it meant more work for their ports and that meant the dock hands would make more money and that at least made it look like the King was spreading some prosperity.

"As for Lodja, I can of course make the introduction, but be warned they are a strange bunch. You want to get on their good side then remember they are rather shallow in many ways but very shrewd in their dealings. They have a system where you will need to have either their Queen or some other Patrician give your companies permission to deal there, and that of course comes at a price." he smiled, "Either a percentage of the deal or something odder......it cost me a crown. Although I can't complain at my price, I give a young Lodjan noble woman a crown and get her into bed, in return I get trade routes into Lodja" he laughed, "deal of the century I think." 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »
Musaevna thanked the young Queen for the offer to send her details to the Lodjan Duchess. Alya and Oksana then continued their shopping spree.   

Back at the Imperial palace, the two sovereigns continued their talk:

"Not at all, my friend. I'm also not into military matters myself. So it's best if we leave those responsible to exchange these details. "

"As far as the Paracambi are concerned, I thank you for the support. However, if there's one thing my family has learned from annexing Attica is that the number of embargoing nations can keep on increasing. Tamora is in the middle of a storm right now, we have yet to learn how bad or how long it will last. I see no reason for Royal Seleucid to join us in the storm. So my advice to you is to keep trading with the Paracambi and any other nations that embargo us, let them waste resources to police the sea to stop smugglers as I see no reason why we should help them by blocking our companies from trading with them. And when our oil and gas will go through your ports to be sold to the Paracambi, we would have neutered their boycott and effectively won. So I will take your generous offer and use your ports to ship goods and resources to the boycotting nations. We will do it gradually, first with oil and gas, and later with other goods as to not raise suspicion. It's a win-win. Our companies get to sell to the countries that boycotted us, and your transport, shipping and docking companied get increased activity.
When dealing with jackals, we lions, being outnumbered, need to focus our efforts on bringing down a couple of them and the rest will flee. Right now you are making great strides in dealing with the Iwi and Tamora is now focusing its attention on Slava Lavosk. We shouldn't waste our energy on petty squabbles like the boycott. "

Abbas stopped and gave a chance to his friend to reply before resuming:

"Which brings us back to what we talked before. We need to get going the oil and gas partnership/organization as soon as possible and get as many oil exporting nations as we can. Once we have that established, we can "revisit" our dealings with the Paracambi. Until then however, I believe that Tamora redirecting some of our exports through RS will give you a better position to negotiate with other potential partners as your sales of oil and gas will increase. The need to establish this organization is one more reason why we need to keep trading open on our part. Other nations might be reluctant to join an organization whose members seemed engaged in a trade war."

As the discussion continued, Abbas also retunered to the Lodja issue:

"You were always shrewd when it came to business. Hopefully, the Lodjans won't leave me without half my Empire in the process." Abbas laughed as he said this. 

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
"Then why not just have us announce the creation of the Oil Producing and Exporting Nations (OPEN), when we announce the outcomes from this meeting" Akakois began. "The organisation was simple in its aims, that the founder members, ourselves in this case, will be capable of blocking new members. The membership shall each appoint a spokesman and the membership shall all charge the same per barrel. Should we wish to change the price for some reason we shall meet discuss it and then vote on it. Furthermore we should build in a common sanctions mechanism. With this in place we should be able to support each other rather well." The King waited to see if this was acceptable. "Of course the name says Oil but we'll include Gas too, OGPEN doesn't roll off the tongue as well" the Seleucid monarch chuckled.

"Shall we formally get things in place, do the hand shaking and smiles for the media and then I shall have Oksana put you in touch with her mother if you think that's the way you wish to proceed. Or perhaps my wife has other contacts she could bring to bare for you? What do you think" The King asked.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »
"OPEN it is then, my friend." said Abbas shaking the hand of the Seleucid King. "This will shake Mundus a bit. The corporate nobles, as we call them here, will not like me meddling in their affairs it but it's worth it for the influence we gain on the world stage."
"I'm interested in dealing with the mother of your lovely wife, thank you. I will remain indebted to you. "

The next couple of days, the two couples met regularly and discussed various subject helping to strengthen the bond between them. Eventually, the day arrived when the Seleucid couple had to return to their kingdom.
On the day the Seleucid couple were leaving Tamora, Abbas and his first wife escorted them to the airport. Them made sure to wear the watches they both received as gifts from Akakois and Oksana.
As the their guests were about to climb the stairs of their plane, Abbas addressed the King:
"Thank you again for coming to Tamora, it was a pleasure to see you again and meet your lovely wife" he shortly shifted view towards Oksana as he mentioned her. "It was both a pleasure and a very productive visit. I hope you had a good time. Also, thank you for your gifts. It will remind us of your visit and the joyous occasion for it".
Alya also thanked their guests for their visit to Tamora.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
Oksana left her mothers contact details and an invite to one of the families villa resorts in Lodja, for what was listed as "a showcase tour for future investments". It would be enough to show that business deals where being considered between a noble family and a foreign investor and so would mean any deal would be sanctioned, that was if the Emperor took up the offer of a visit (OOC-agreed with Libby)

The royal couple made the most of their time in Tamora, it was nice for the King to get away for a few days and it gave his son Hadi chance to experience what is was to be in charge. The King was sure to leave gifts for the servants who had looked after them, a tradition in their own faith and of course along with his wife's formal invite for the Emperor the King handed over an envelope. "A key to our Water Palace it is at your disposal anytime you wish. Bring anyone you wish, consider it as your home. Should you wish to escape for a few days or come on business then feel free. Our home is your home" he shook hands with his host, kissed Alya on the hand and then boarded his own private jet feeling fresh relaxed and hopeful for the future.