Author Topic: Old Friends (Ach and Seaforth)  (Read 4421 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Old Friends (Ach and Seaforth)
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »

To: King Andrew of the Kingdom of Seaforth

Your Majesty may I first extend my congratulations on your becoming King of Seaforth, I'm sure that I am not the only person on the international scene to have registered both happiness and surprise in regards to the re-emergence of Seaforth. Our nations share a bond that goes back to the CIS and it is of great sadness to me that outside of that now dissolved organisation there exists no formal ties between our respective nations. This is something I would like to remedy at your earliest convenience and therefore I invite you or your representatives to join me at Crystalline Castle to discuss the re-establishment of ties between our nations and also any assistance we can provide to your nation as it continues to rebuild. Please be aware that should you accept my invitation your representatives should arrive in the city of Valkyria instead of the Capital of Valtheim due to position in respect of Crystalline.

I await your response

Emperor Peter Azurewind of the Holy Empire of Achkaerin

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: Old Friends (Ach and Seaforth)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »

To: Emperor Peter Azurewind

I am delighted to accept your kind invitation. With the dissolution of the CIS I too see the need to formailize our relationship. Both myself and my cousin, Countess Harper, look forward to visiting Achkaerin and renewing the friendship that started in the CIS.

Regards,

Andrew III
King of Seaforth
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:34:09 PM by Rhodes »

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:46:31 AM »
It was official, Peter had finally set off every metal detector in every major Achkaerinese airport, the side affect of a bomb blast in a terrorist attack, he stood waiting for the arrival of the Seaforth King and his cousin. Peter was joined by his wife Renee, it was a major moment for her as well, she knew the Morlander's, she knew the Revanan's, she knew the Cenneg's, she knew the Lodjan's, but Seaforth was up there with East Moreland, it went all the way back to the days of the CIS.

"The Seaforth plane is expected to touch down in around ten minutes Peter." the Emperor's personal bodyguard and aide Alexandria Savage said, normally Renee's bodyguard would also be present but he had caught a bug and so had been replaced, rather easily it had to be said by Julian Lawson.
"Thanks Alex." Peter said, he turned his attention to the waiting Honour Guard that befitted a visiting Head of State, normally this was determined by rota but Peter had a feeling his brother in law over at the Ministry of Defence was pulling strings because the troops on show were from the Armoured Corp and the duty officer was one Major Fleur Mishima "Major are you alright?"
"I'm just not used to being on display for international guests." Fleur said
"Then what was Memorial Day last year?" Peter asked
"We get two months notice of that sir." Fleur said

"So what are these guests like?" Renee asked
"I don't know Andrew that well except that he has a military background, Harper has the same problem as Serenity when it comes to getting kidnapped." Peter said "Don't get any ideas Alex."
"Very funny." Alex said with mock anger but she couldn't hide the smile.
"Though one of the four that could be called Harper's guardian angel's is over there." Peter said indicating Julian
"You're looking forward to this aren't you?" Renee said
"You bet I am." Peter said

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »

As the Seaforth plane taxied to a stop, the delegation was prepared. Having just come from East Moreland, Andrew was much more comfortable in his role as King. The first two visits being to traditional friends and allies didn't hurt much either. He smiled across the ailse at Harper.

"Try not to get lost here. Unless..." Joked Andrew.

Harper rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, Andrew."

Letting out a large laugh, Andrew was grinning from ear to ear as he followed his security detail out of the plane and across to the Emperor of Achkaerin.

"Emperor Peter, a pleasure."

Noticing Lawson, Andrew glanced over his shoulder and winked at Harper...who looked noticably flush.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
"A pleasure to meet you as well King Andrew." Peter said shaking the new King's hand, he then did the same with Harper "This is my wife Renee." aware that this was probably big news to the Seaforthian's after all with the fall they probably weren't aware he'd been in a new relationship let alone that he'd gotten engaged and married.
"Nice to meet you." Renee said

The group started to move back through the airport
"I apologize for what's about to happen." Peter said just before he stepped through the metal detector and for the second time that day set it off "Artificial arm, wonder of modern science, however comes with the downside of getting you jumped every time you go through security in East Moreland."
"Just admit it's become a tradition already." Renee said

A few moments later they were getting into a car and heading to Crystalline Castle.
"So" Peter said "Aside from the shock I imagine you felt for a while how are you settling in as King?"

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »
"Congratulations , Peter.  A pleasure to meet you, Renee."

Andrew waved off Peter's apology politely.

"No apologies required. You know, there is a fellow in Seaforth that whips up prosthetic arms in his garage for children. 3D printed, they are. Does it in his spare time and donates them."

Andrew was becoming more and more concerned as the brief meeting went on. The presence of Alexandria concerned him. While it was true, he didn't have the same military pedigree as his cousin, Joshua, it was because he had transitioned early into Military Intelligence. He worked closely under Brigadier Thorin Crow and followed in his footsteps, rising to command the Blackwatch himself, Seaforth's intelligence service. Andrew was unsure what game the Achkaerinese were playing, but he was surely not going to get into a car with a known terrorist.

Ignoring Peter's question, Andrew simply stopped walking as his security detail subtly changed positions. Crossing his arms in front of his 6'3" frame, he fixed Alexandria with a gaze and waited...

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
If it wasn't for the context Peter would have found the staring contest Andrew was initiating with Alex amusing, she had certainly been an odd choice that was for sure, fair enough Achkaerin's Justicars that highly classified unit were a mishmash of soldiers, geeks, intel operatives and in some cases those with darker pasts. Alex was probably the best example of the last of those, a woman who as a girl had been bombed out of house and home, developed several conditions including PTSD and multiple personality disorder, been indoctrinated into the Enlightenment, risen to become its leader, been found out for what she had been all along, been held to account and following that been given a fresh chance at life that she'd never had before. At no point had Peter ever thought she'd end up his bodyguard but then Alex had gone and saved his life when his arm had been blown off, that had won her Peter's respect and trust, but even knowing that the last thing the Emperor wanted was an argument outside the airport.

"Alex would do me a favour and go and pick up the Keates's please?" Peter asked
"Certainly." Alex said "Couple of hours?"
"Good enough." Peter said, he watched his aide get into a different car and head off, now hoping that he'd correctly guessed the issue he looked at Andrew "Shall we be on our way?"

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »

Andrew nodded and got into the car with Emperor Peter.

"Thank you Peter. I respect your perrogative to conduct your internal business as you see fit....but the SCC cut deep. We will not conduct business in association with terrorists, former or otherwise. Some times a persons choices stays with them. A man who for instance, stole a car as a young adult, would not be able to serve as a police officer. His debt is payed to society, and he won't be barred from having a productive life. He just won't serve as a police officer. It just how we see things. Anyway, I thank you for your accommodation."

Andrew leaned back into the seat...

"Now tell me, what do you desire in formalizing the relationship between us?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »
Peter took a few moments to collect his thoughts, he'd had plenty of discussions in the days before this meeting about what to say.

"Well my starting point would be to look at re-establishing the bonds that existed between our nations through the CIS specifically those to do with trade, culture and friendship. After that there are things I'd like to float as possibilities mainly in the areas of science and sport and I'm sure you have things you'd like to discuss with me, from where I sit we're more or less starting with a blank canvas, in more simple terms I'm looking at taking the foundations of the old Achkaerin-Seaforth relationship, relaying them and then building on them." Peter said

"We're here." Renee said, she looked at their guests "Welcome to Crystalline Castle" the truth was that Harper had been there before as one of the traditional seven bridesmaids at an Achkaerinese Royal wedding, in that case Serenity and Isaac's, Andrew however certainly hadn't visited the castle before.
"That trip gets shorter every time." Peter said as Julian opened the door and opened it for them to get out.
"This never gets old." Renee said to the Seaforthian pair as a bundle of what looked like red and blue slammed right into Peter
"Your Majesty allow me to introduce my granddaughter Astrid" Peter said as he gently broke the three year olds vice like grip as another girl came into view at a more sedate walking pace "And her big sister Lisa" Peter was essentially babysitting for Serenity while she was overseas. "Say hello to King Andrew and Duchess Harper girls."
"Hello King Andrew and Duchess Harper." the girls said in unison.

"Now then Your Majesty if you've no objections perhaps we could continue our discussions in the gardens as I'm quite eager to hear what you're looking for in terms of formalizing the relationship." Peter said "And it does have the added bonus of being a lovely day so I can predict that the chef has the barbecue out."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
"That seems like a good starting point." Said Andrew. "The CIS did a lot of good for us, not even including the defense aspect."

King Andrew and Countess Harper smiled at the girls, replying in kind.

"I was about to say that the castle hasn't changed a bit, but of course grandchildren will do that. It was such a lovely wedding too." Said Harper.

As the group headed into the gardens, Harper took the lead from King Andrew.

"Your thoughts echo our own. In our estimation, the best aspects of the CIS were in fact the trade benefits, friendship and cultural exchange. We are also interested in your ideas for a scientific partnership. I remember a few years back a Seaforth company designed and built a lander for your space program. This make sense to us as our two nations have emphasised different pathways. Achkaerin looked to the stars and we the seas. A partnership and exchange would allow us both to benefit from both avenues without the need to establish expensive, independent programs."

"We believe the most important part of this meeting is the relationship between our two nations. That is forefront in our minds. However, when that is concluded, the papers signed...we would like to take the opportunity to discuss the status of the Veroveran war criminal, Brook.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
OOC - Post to be used for the purposes of noting and consolidating the various things agreed to.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 11:28:47 PM »
Peter nodded as they sat around the garden table, the two girls running off to play while the smell of the barbecue that was being tended to by the Royal Chef he'd expected Brook to come up as an issue which was why as part of the talks he'd taken a step towards pre-empting it, laying the foundations to ease that through rather than create a lengthy set of problems for legal systems. He'd also spent a fair amount of time rereading the old CIS charter.

"There's a selection of drinks over there and the chef will let us know when we can go and get food." Peter said "Feel free to help yourselves." he'd never really been one for the formality of banquets or large state dinner's hence why he only had one member of kitchen staff on the payroll, most of the time he did it himself he was now writing on a notepad "So I'd like to suggest we begin with the friendship aspects. Generally speaking treaties that Achkaerin is party to feature in this regard the maintaing of embassy's, a twenty four hour window for Ambassadors to present themselves when summoned by the other party, rules regarding travel between our nations,  a commitment to resolve disputes between ourselves in a peaceful manner and a respect to the other parties positions on international treaties and conventions such as the MCUR, FSC and Uppsalla. Which generally means it looks something like this." he placed the notepad on the table

1) The Parties agree to maintain active embassies with each other and to make their ambassador available to the other within 24 hours of a request being made.

2)  Nations agree to visa free travel so far as the following conditions are met

a) The traveller has a pre-booked return ticket
b) The traveller does not stay more than 60 days
c) The traveller has no prior criminal convictions
d) The traveller is not deemed a threat to national security

3) The Parties agree to take all reasonable steps to settle disputes that arise between through peaceful means.

4) The Parties agree to respect the commitments and obligations of each other in respect of multi-national treaties and conventions.

"That's just a rough outline off the top of my head but that is more or less Achkaerin's usual baseline for a treaty such as this when it comes to the diplomatic element. I know you've mentioned other things but my preference is always to nail down one section at a time as I find that focus's the conversation a lot better. So what are your thoughts?"

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »

Countess Harper read the notepad as Andrew poured drinks for her and the Emperor. When finished, she exchanged the notepad for her drink. The King sipped fruit juice and took his turn to skim the notes. Looking up he nodded once and Harper continued.

"We believe that is mostly acceptable. I assume that 'all peaceful means' includes the option for third party arbitration? Moving to the next section, Seaforth would be comfortable with a free trade arrangement with a mutual favoured status and the removal of tariffs."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:26:47 PM »
"That's correct" Peter said, clarifying Harper's point "Achkaerinese policy has always been talking before action, taking all reasonable steps to avoid things getting into the realms of sanctions and conflict. So we would say that if we ever got into a dispute between ourselves that we would first talk to each other to identify the problem and consider possible solutions, if that fails then we would consider other mediation or arbitration avenues utilizing international authorities where appropriate to do so. For example if it was over an artefact then we would defer to the Panel of Scholars at the CETO. Naturally if no such body exists then we would mutually agree on someone to assist our nations in dispute resolution which probably means King David knocking our heads together and telling us what a pair of stubborn and foolish idiots we are."

"As I recall." Peter continued "The CIS operated with no tariff's between member states, so both our nations have been there before suggesting that move is very much doable. The free trade arrangement is I think possible though I would be interested to know if you invisage an immediate or phased in approach to the implementation of that? Finally the mutual favored status, I'm mindful of Achkaerin's existing trading agreements and while I don't presently foresee an issue I just need to be clear on the specifics of how you see that working so I can gauge the impact if any."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »

Andrew chuckled at Peter's timely joke.

"A short phase out of tariffs would probably work the best. I don't see too many being added in the time since the CIS. As to the favoured status, I simply see it as opportunistic, that all things being equal, our countries would wish to trade with each other over other nations. That an equal product, commodity or service at an equal price... preference would go to Achkaerin or Seaforth. Should another party come in with a better price or more favorable trade arrangement, Achkaerin or Seaforth would be given the opportunity to match it before something is finalized with the third party."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »
"I see then I view that as quite an acceptable premise." Peter said "If we say a complete phase out of tariff's within say six months on a mutual basis?" he let the suggested time frame float as he was rather appropriately interrupted by a tap on his shoulder, courtesy of the Royal Chef Anezaki Mellor "Sorry this is Anezaki Mellor the chef around here."
"Your Majesties and Ladyship the food is ready." Anezaki said
"Thank you Anezaki." Peter said "We'll be over shortly."
"Just remember it's a barbecue, I can't turn the temperature down like an oven." Anezaki said as she walked away.

Peter half smiled as the chef left the group, he could still remember the night she'd first cooked for the Royal family and that had been an experience but he could think about that later.

"May I suggest we have something to eat before we continue talking? I'm sure we both still have a few ideas we'd like to float." he said

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:20 AM »
LUNCH BREAK

As lunch concluded the parties resumed the treaty discussions...

"That was a first rate lunch, Peter." Said Andrew."My compliments to Chef Mellor."

Taking a sip of water, Andrew gathered his thoughts before continuing...

"I believe this is a good time to bring up the disposition of Pytor Brook. 6124 Seaforthian soldiers were killed by his treachery, far and away more Seaforthian lives were lost than any other nation... 28 Achkaerinese were also killed, I believe. Needless to say, it's high time the man was held accountable before our justice system and I request that he be transferred into our custody."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
"This would normally be the part where I ask a load of questions about what might happen and such, fortunately I don't need to do that on this occasion because they are heavily entwined with the Mundus Convention on Universal Rights, a convention that Seaforth is party to as Joshua was I believe in Churchill for the original summit, so I am personally satisfied that the issues that I would normally be raising such as fair trial, potential for torture etc are already satisfied because Seaforth is treaty bound to them." Peter said "Which means the phone call I now have to go and make to the Attorney General is going to be a lot shorter than would normally be the case. So if you will excuse me, I will go and dot the 'i's' and cross the 't's' as it were while Renee introduces you to a couple of people at least one of whom you'll be hopefully having a good working relationship with."

Peter headed away from the table to make the phone call to the Attorney General, it wasn't something he was legally bound to do but it was something he'd established as good practice, talking through the legalities and potential pitfalls always helped him make a well informed decision and when it came to extradition that was vital. So with Peter having stepped away for a few moments Renee glanced across the garden lawn and smiled as two more people made their way over to the table, Peter had likely sent them out of the castle where they'd been waiting,

"Your Majesty King Andrew, Duchess Harper may I introduce you to our newly appointed Prefect of Aranye and ambassador to Seaforth Nicolette Keates and her husband James Keates who's the ambassador in relation to Somerset and Rishiri."
"Which basically translates as finding an excuse for us to be in close proximity to each other Your Majesty." James said
"An honour to meet you both." Nicolette said
"I should explain that Achkaerin's ambassador program operates with what we call Prefects which is basically just another way of saying 'senior ambassador' we have one for each continent and they're tasked with dealing with the diplomatic matters on their assigned continent so for example when we didn't have anyone available to send to the Iwi's Matakiri event last year we sent our Prefect of Ardia and his family. We've also found it does take a fair amount of strain off of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs." Renee said

Peter was back a few moments later with a folder in his hand, he handed it to Andrew
"That's a copy of the order to transfer General Brook into Seaforthian custody, it has my signature on it and is countersigned by the Attorney General." Peter said "In simple terms it says pretty much what I explained earlier that Achkaerin is satisfied that there is a case against General Brook, that Seaforth is a wronged nation and that we are satisfied after due consideration of the facts that the human rights standards will be met."