Author Topic: The Empress Hosts The Count  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Empress Hosts The Count
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Following her time with Joshua and Evanthe Empress Beatrice excused herself to the Austrana to address some affairs before her business in Seaforth was to proceed. Prior to her departure from the Gypsy Dancer she had slipped an invitation to Count Emerson to meet with her aboard the Austrana, though with the emotional hurricane which had transpired she could only hope he would be willing to entertain an audience with her. Still she remained hopeful, as the prospects before them could still yet hold great potential. "Inform me the very moment he responds, in either direction, so that we may ensure our time is spent most wisely while in the Illumic," she said before entering her suite.

The Austrana was the most fitting place for them to meet after all, as she was essentially a floating Pyrena Castle. It was not uncommon for her to serve as the centre of Government in times of emergency, or when a given situation demanded the Empress be able to fully execute her duties whilst away from Pyrena. While her vision had formed, and would most certainly have been easier to conceive, prior to Joshua's return she still saw some potential that her plan possessed just the right amount of 'crazy' that it could work. It would, ultimately, depend upon the Count and which course he would seek to chart from this point forward.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: The Empress Hosts The Count
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:41:16 AM »
The INS Pegasus had been in a view weird positions in its time, though usually those had been on the battlefield or on patrol, the last few days though had been something else in the Illumic and now to cap it all here it was approaching a Rokkenjiman Imperial Yacht. Aboard the vessel Emerson Ravenswood paced around the deck on the phone, he'd been doing that a lot as he had to make his mind up about a big decision that recent events had rather forced upon him. Watching from a distance, albeit a short one, was his adopted daughter Amy.

"Well?" Amy asked when he hung up the phone
"They think it's a solid case." Emerson said
"They want you to do it?" Amy asked
"They're saying I should do it." Emerson said "And now we have a meeting with Beatrice Anselmo of all people."
"Any idea what she wants?" Amy asked
"Not a clue." Emerson said "But let's go find out. we've got a helicopter waiting, be over there in about ten minutes I would think."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 02:21:09 AM »
"Do check the guest suite again, and ensure that dinner is promptly ready no later than ten minutes beyond their arrival," Beatrice said to the assembled staff of the Austrana. "I don't imagine our meeting shall take long, however, I do look to ensure all arrangements are taken care of should it carry on into a second day." Word was also sent to the Pegasus that the Austrana stood ready to receive its guests at their leisure, whilst the Empress went over a few notes as she awaited them. She had already met with the Imperial Council via video link and while there was the expected push-back, she remembered the first days of Alex in the halls of Pyrena and how that eventually turned out.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
Emerson and Amy were soon in the back of a helicopter as it made the journey across from one ship to the other.
"When's your graduation?" Emerson asked, Amy had just finished her studies in East Moreland.
"Couple of weeks." Amy said "You are coming?"
"Of course I am." Emerson said "At least tell me you've ordered the gown."
"Yes it appears I'm better at that than you." Amy said, Emerson had famously forgotten about needing a gown and had ended up causing a lot of chaos at his own university graduation, which when your father was at the time the chancellor of the university wasn't the best thing to do, it had certainly been the most entertaining of days though.

"Sir we'll be arriving shortly." the pilot said
"Thank you." Emerson said

About two minutes later the helicopter landed on the Austrana, shortly thereafter Emerson and Amy stepped off it.
"Peter's is better." Amy whispered as she looked around at the deck
"Don't tell them that you know what Rokkenjiman's are like about ships." Emerson whispered back, spotting a steward approaching Emerson took a breath here we go he thought.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »
"Welcome aboard," Beatrice said with a smile and a bow, "Thank you for joining me on such short notice and under the circumstances. I truly am sorry for what happened with Eva, and if you need an ear I am always here. She may be my cousin, and I may have an affinity for Joshua, however, I am still here if needed."

"Now my cousin isn't the reason I invited you here, so we shall proceed to my office for our talks. A meal has been prepared if you would rather eat first, after which we shall get to the reason I invited you here." Beatrice noticed Amy looking about, "She wasn't built as a yacht but a liner, she served in a handful of fleets before being laid up. I bought her, put some love and care into her, and saved her from the scrapyards. Small she may be, but every ounce of pride and care went into her just the same as her larger contemporaries."

"So, shall we dine, or get right to business?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »
"I suggest we get down to business." Emerson said, he needed something to take his mind off other decisions he was going to have to make at some point soon anyway.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
"Very well," Beatrice said as she led them to her office. "I will be brief; Euphemia is leaving the Vicegerency to resume service in the Imperial Rokkenjiman Air Force. The Imperial Council has a list of candidates which they see as the most viable, however, I have dismissed each and every one. Fine people to be sure, but not what I require. So I have been looking abroad; I considered a Seaforthian briefly, but another name came up ever so often in my searches."

"It takes little imagination to guess who," she continued. "I need a pair of outside eyes, you should know what the position entails already, if you have any questions now would be the time to ask them. I would expect your dissent and discretion, a yes-man I have little use for, and each of those names the Council presented me with are precisely that. You bridged the Great Chasm, so will you now join me in ensuring that bridge stands for generations to come?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »
Emerson and Amy exchanged glances now this was about the last thing they'd expected, it was a risky proposition but it was also a very unique opportunity as well.  Though the chances were he wasn't going to be like any Viceregent there had been before - that was if he agreed to take it on.

"If I may make a suggestion." Amy said when she saw her adopted father mulling it over in his head "Perhaps your Majesty would be prepared to adjourn for that meal while my father and I discuss your offer after which we can join you?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »
"Certainly," Beatrice said as she motioned one of Austrana's numerous staff into the room. "Now should you need anything in the mean time he will be on station just outside, if not, he shall show you the way to the dining room once you're ready to join me. Furthermore, a secured line can be utilized on the wall to your immediate right. It's ICON capable, thus communications are GRAFT capable with your own SCION systems."

With that Beatrice made her way for the door, "Take as long as you should need."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
Once Beatrice had left there were a few moments of silence before Emerson and Amy let out deep breaths
"Did she just do what I think she did?" Amy asked
"If you mean did she just offer me the Viceregency yes she did." Emerson said
"What do you think?" Amy asked, taking a perch on the edge of Beatrice's desk
"I think bridging the Great Chasm was child's play compared to what she's asking now." Emerson said
"How so?" Amy asked

"The so called chasm originated under Beatrice because of a policy of 'Rokkenjima's way or the high way' but remember she wasn't Empress when it got fixed Evanthe was, and every bit as Beatrice is stubborn, thanks mainly to the CSTO-WARSAW days, Evanthe is practical because she's the experienced diplomat. Look at the current situation we have Rokkenjima as a country unsure of it's identity in the world because it carries the scars of recent events. The people support the Empress but she carries the greatest damage of them all because she's got that conviction for perjury next to her name. The Imperial Council know this hence why they wanted a yes-man. This isn't about ensuring that bridge stands it'll stand because the Monarch is not the state, this is about rebuilding Rokkenjima's identity at home and abroad and I don't think I look much like Bob the Builder."
"Maybe not but you do know the faults." Amy said "Can you do it that's the question?"
"If Beatrice were to back me yes." Emerson said "But if I do this I want you with me."
"Nowhere else I'm going to be." Amy said "Why?"
"Longevity and legacy." Emerson said "You remember Martin Deed?"

"What is he a Cardinal these days?" Amy asked
"Yeah. Well I went to university with him, this was back before he converted to Catholicism and based on what I know of him he's not going to be like any Cardinal that church has ever seen before, he will challenge for change. And if I do this then that's what I'm going to do."
"What?" Amy asked
"I'm going to take a sledgehammer and smash the broken system apart and build one that works." Emerson said "The real question is whether it can be done in time."
"In time for what?" Amy asked
"The Imperial Address." Emerson said "If it's going to happen then it starts there." he stood and approached the door, he felt a little bit like a man on a mission now, he took a deep breath "Let's go and give the Empress her answer."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:19 AM »
As Emerson and Amy were shown to the Empress she was concluding a telephone conversation over a glass of mead. "The change of approach is sound, and what Mr. Bateson does with his money is well within his affairs might I add. I think pulling an entire family from a life of slavery is wonderful and, just perhaps, presents a good position for talks with Tamora. I trust we shall have your support moving forward," Beatrice said as she ended the call. "Count Emerson, Amy, please do be seated," she said.

"Before us is a traditional Rokkenjiman meal, with deserts flow in from Némérie earlier today and, of course, an abundant supply of Pyrenan Mead," she said with a smile. "I trust you've had the moment of reflection you needed?" she continued. "Now before we begin allow me to ask you, what do you make of the situation surrounding Tamora? We've seen the expected economic retaliations as well as their results. I've also opened the door for talks with Tamora as I personally feel the matter is most certainly complicated and delicate, requiring an approach which sets aside outright confrontation and seeks instead to establish understanding and then attempt to move forward."

"Is this an approach you see as having an opportunity for success, or do you share the views of some on the Imperial Council who feel it is an exercise in futility? After that, I would be interested in hearing what answer you have for me."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:28 PM »
"I think that when slavery is a factor one must be mindful of article 5.1 of the Mundus Convention of Universal Rights that 'No one shall be held in slavery or servitude.' being signatory to such statements irrespective of jurisdictional application means something beyond the application of it within your own borders." Emerson said "As for what has happened, you had an interesting opportunity but I think it's been squandered because of who was involved and the fact that it was subsequently reported on in the press, eventually the slave owners will rig the prices and inflate them when Bateson comes knocking. It's standard theory for the situation, but I'd also say I think it attacks the wrong end of the problem, Achkaerinese policy on these things tends to be twofold - firstly the liberating of those in slavery by means that maximizes the number saved, while secondly taking steps to identify the measures that can ensure that those doing the enslaving are put out of business."

Emerson took a sip of a drink.
"As for my answer." Emerson said, well aware he was working on the fly now "I say yes but let me clear you need to give me the latitude and support to do what needs to be done if you're going to trust me to tell you when you're wrong and call you on it then I need to be able to create the environment where the dissenting voices can be heard, where you hear what you need to hear not necessarily what you want to hear lest past mistakes become repeated. There's a window of opportunity to do this but I can't be your Viceregent unless you're going to give me the authority and backing I need to start the work that needs doing."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »
"In that case we will need to review just what you have in mind. As I'm sure you can imagine I have my own program of reform underway, analyzing those areas where we can make improvements and implementing them swiftly and orderly. At the same time there are aspects which will be less open to change, either due to tradition or other reasons, which will require another approach. We will proceed with a scalpel, not a sledgehammer, and if that is something you can agree to then you will find all the support you need from me."

"Furthermore," she paused to pour some more mead, "you'll have to be mindful, even if you have my full support and endorsement you will be seen as an outsider for some time, I'm sure you have heard of the treatment Emperor Alexander received in his first days in the Imperial Council?" she asked rhetorically. "With that said I would be interested in hearing where your ideas are, share with you those plans I've made myself and, by the end of this process, produce a cohesive plan and strategy moving forward. We'll take one day and challenge at a time."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 02:22:32 AM »
Emerson and Amy glanced at each other before sharing a chuckle, Emerson was no stranger to the corridors of Pyrena, during his time in a relationship with Evanthe he'd met the various Imperial Councillors - from both councils that Evanthe had had during her reign, he'd also met with members of Premier Abe's government so he knew a fair few of the big players in Rokkenjima's government, plus his area of expertise on his university degree had been Ardian politics so it could be considered that he had a thorough grounding in the areas required for this, Beatrice's points were fair enough but he wasn't the type to let that sort of thing get to him especially now.

"This is about two things, number one the image you and your government project and number two settling a solid international image of Rokkenjima. So first thing that needs to happen is a change in numbers, composition and purpose of the Imperial Council, it needs to cease to be solely your people and become full of the critical voices the very reasons you've asked for me can become amplified, it needs to lose its oversight responsibilities of government departments and ministers and it needs to become the place where the Crown and the Government of the day come together, mandate the meetings for at least once a week and we show an image of the Empress in touch with her people and listening to the elected representatives rather than having the added layer of complexity that is unecessary. We further this by having a People's Conference, once a year representatives of the Government and Leadership meet over a period of days with representatives of local areas and we're not talking about the elected officials here we're talking ordinary person on the street.

Second we need to get a settled set of policies, I don't need to tell you there's always differences when leaders change in politics, so we sit down and point and point establish clear policies, think of it as a relaunch with one simple policy approach - 'Let Beatrice be Beatrice' this is how we build your image back up, we get you out to visits, events and meetings, we get your thoughts leading the charge in short time to put your money where your mouth is. You'll win some and you'll some that's the nature of politics and you may take some media flak but you gain a lot because you'll be seen as sticking to what you believe in.

Third we utilize the CETO to, with her consent, have Adrianna studying across Mundus on those exchange program's, it's a simple enough idea, one day she will be Empress and it's important to prepare her for that so it seems logical for Adrianna to get out and about around Mundus using this program she can learn about and experience other cultures plus we can send Amy along with her to keep an eye on her.

Fourth a full external review of the Anausa needs to happen, I want to bring in someone familiar with royal security to look at how the Imperial Family is protected and someone familiar with intelligence to look at how the Anausa operate. It's important to make it an external reviewer because internal reviews tend to be flawed by their very nature. Do this and send the message loud and clear that things are being addressed and not swept under the rug.

Finally there's the small matter of your standing, we will need to take steps to rebuild that, but you do need to be aware that the international community in general views you personally with a tinge of distrust which with a conviction for perjury against your name is understandable. A lot has changed in recent years the balance of power has shifted you must be mindful of that and you must conduct yourself accordingly because if we're going to sell a new image of yourself and Rokkenjima then we cannot afford the same old arguments cropping up."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
"I think that you'll find our objectives are very much in alignment, and I believe we will be able to accomplish a good deal together. We can talk about the specifics as we go, though with Adriana we'll naturally need the consent of Alex as well, although I don't see him protesting such a decision too strongly, if at all. As for the Anauša, which also serves as a central component of the Rokkenjiman intelligence service in addition to the duties of guarding the Imperial Family, we'll need to proceed carefully. It's certainly a project which needs undertaken, though one which brings with it several of its own challenges."

Beatrice paused so as to let Emerson interject. There was more to be discussed, however, she always enjoyed seeing where the conversation went when it wasn't being guided directly, or predictably, by herself.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
"The advantage one gains from being the outsider is that one doesn't need to tread as carefully as an insider, being perceived as not knowing the intricacies of a system works in my favour." Emerson said "Especially if I'm to be the fox in your hen house, when it comes to the Anausa we're talking about a body that is potentially still compromised and that presents a risk to you, your family and additionally to those acting on their intelligence. So to be perfectly honest even treading carefully with them is going to creak the floorboards, fortunately I know a fair few people who can handle challenges like that.

But that's the list of things that need announcing to begin the rebuilding process, we also have to consider the present and likely immediate future in terms of global image, especially in terms of how that works because I hate to say it but you have a rather bad habit shall we say of putting your foot in it with a lot of nations out there and I'm not the type to stay quiet if I disagree with you. So I want to be clear before you go public with something I need to be in the loop and if I'm not around you need to bring Amy into the loop that way someone I trust is always your counsel even if I'm not there.

So I believe you've made me the offer and I've laid my conditions so let me ask the question for the sake of clarity based on what we've discussed am I your Viceregent?"   

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »
"Based on what we have discussed I don't believe I could say no," Beatrice said with a smile. "From this point forward we shall operate as a team, our next challenge being our encounter with the Imperial Council. I understand Evanthe initiated some reforms since my time, so we'll at least have somewhat of a fresh slate to work with. No one, apart from Marshal Admiral Cole, has been 'entrenched' for too long, and he is a reliable voice we can count upon for support. One of the 'Fathers of the Revolution' and a close confidant of the Throne, widely respected throughout the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces, he's set to retire from the IRAF, after which Commodore Rowe will be taking the helm at Imperial High Command and as Grand Admiral of the Imperial Rokkejiman Navy."

Beatrice paused, "Rowe is an interesting character, I've been working for years to reign him in but he insisted strongly on being in command of a vessel. I need him more in Pyrettania on a day-to-day basis, after the betrayal of Ichinose I need someone I can trust. I can't keep relying upon Cole as he wishes to continue his service to the Empire in other ways. With the abolishment of the Lord High Steward I'll need someone to take up the duties of Head of the Imperial Household Ministry, and it's a position that Cole has shown interest in. Thus once his retirement has taken place I intend to see his appointment made at our earliest convenience."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
While Beatrice had been talking Amy had been googling looking up the exact positions that comprised the Imperial Council, it was a topic that she and Emerson had talked about a few times while Evanthe had occupied the throne but nothing had ever really taken hold, and it wasn't like they'd ever imagined that Emerson would be in this position either. She scribbled the format down on a piece of notepaper and handed it to Emerson who placed it on the table.

Empress
Viceregent
Lord High Steward

Imperial Councillor for Domestic Affairs
Imperial Councillor for Foreign Affairs
Imperial Councilor for Defence
Imperial Councilor for Intelligence
Imperial Councilor for Treasury and Finance
Imperial Councilor for the Admiralty
Imperial Councilor for Justice
Imperial Councilor for Environmental Affairs
Imperial Councilor for Industry
Imperial Councilor for Information

"I'm sure you recognize the list of positions that comprise the Imperial Council." Emerson said "Positions appointed by you that hold sway over the elected representatives of the Rokkenjiman people. With the big three included it's thirteen people." he took out a pen "First we need in my opinion to adjust the composition of the council, but as you know I've already said that so perhaps something like this."

Empress
Viceregent
Lord High Steward Head of Imperial Household

Chief of Staff
Imperial Councillor for Domestic Affairs
Imperial Councillor for Foreign Affairs
Imperial Councilor for Defence
Imperial Councilor for Intelligence - KEEP VACANT/LIAISON REP until review of Anausa is complete
Imperial Councilor for Treasury and Finance
Imperial Councilor for the Admiralty Armed Forces
Imperial Councilor for Justice Attorney for the Crown
Imperial Councilor for Environmental Affairs
Imperial Councilor for Industry
Imperial Councilor for Information

Premier of Rokkenjima
Vice Premier of Rokkenjima
Minister of Home/Domestic Affairs
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Minister of Defence
Minister of Justice
Minister of Economic Affairs
Minister of Business
Speaker of the Commons/Councillors (only one decided by them)

Other Ministers as appropriate depending on the agenda of the Council meeting

"As you can see this adjusts both the nature of the Council taking the number of appointee's down from effectively 12 to 9 while also adding a minimum of 9 of the elected representatives, it also abolishes certain portfolio's that were surplus to the requirements and does a little restructuring so that elected government ministers don't have to worry about a Councillor holding authority over them. The sum total of which means that the Councillors are reduced from decision makers to your advisors and connects you as the Crown with the government of the day. Given that the current Council isn't that well established in term of service length with the one exception you've mentioned this does represent one heck of a golden opportunity to get this work done. I'd also say that if we're doing this I think you should allow me to do the headhunting for the new Councillors before you approve them, if you want advisors who aren't 'yes men' then of the two of us I'm probably more likely to find them."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
"Then that shall be our path forward," Beatrice replied. "We'll simply wait until a new Council has taken shape before holding any further sessions, and work closely with the Diet as we implement these changes. It has been lingering in my mind, however I must ask, what do you have in mind regarding Anauša? Who do you seek to bring in, and what should I expect?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
"As you yourself has said the Anausa are a major support pillar of Rokkenjiman intelligence and they are responsible for the security of your family." Amy said "Now on the basis that the Anausa is comprised it is not an acceptable position to allow them to continue to be involved in intelligence gathering and it's irresponsible to allow them to continue to be responsible for the security of your family, at least until we can say we know for certain how far they were compromised, who by, when and how. Do that then address it and at that point they can be reinstated."

"Given we don't know the full extent of the damage to the Anausa we're talking about trained people in the intelligence field being brought in to review the Anausa we're talking an across the board review involving plenty of interviews and cross checking of information, once that's done any action that needs to be taken will be identified. For the duration of the review the Anausa will be isolated from the rest of your intelligence services to counter the potential for further compromising actions. The Anausa will also forfeit for the review's duration the responsibility for protecting your family, I know who to bring in for that and I trust them to do the job, once the review's over the Anausa will reassume the responsibility provided it is of course a favourable conclusion. While I'm out headhunting the new Imperial Council I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to talk with your new guardians and they can better tell you what to expect from the review than I can."