Author Topic: A Message To Achkaerin  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
A Message To Achkaerin
« on: December 07, 2023, 01:19:27 AM »

A Message To Achkaerin

As I'm sure you're aware I've ordered the Ministry for Justice to seek avenues to overturn the plea entered by my mother, the Saisei Empress, an order which has been executed at my behest. I am also practical, and would be open to talks regarding the transfer of the Saisei Empress to Pyrena Castle. It's no longer an "official" building utilized by the Imperial Government beyond a residence for the Imperial Family with all institutions housed there being transferred to the Imperial Palace earlier this year. Both Rokkenjiman and Achkaerinese officials know its layout, it's weak points as well as all other security concerns. Whatever transpired in the Andean Tragedy, my mother was not truly responsible for given that her state at the moment was drug induced, as a woman who fought for the restoration of Rokkenjima she deserves to live her days out and eventually die upon the soil she so valiantly fought for. While I am prepared to continue the legal challenge I initiated if you can present an amicable counterproposal my ears are open.

My mother comes home, and even if it's not through the Courts I will see her name cleared as I do not believe she was responsible for the crimes alleged against her, looking at the medical records, the prescriptions, which placed her in that mental state of being of not being capable of reacting as she normally would. If I have to go to a higher court to clear her name I will do so too, because the Beatrice I know has a heart only filled with bettering those around her, anyone who truly knows her can see her actions during the Nueva Andean Genocide were truly uncharacteristic of her. If she were doing these drugs of her own volition it would be one thing, but this was something thrust on her that she never asked for. In my mind, the truly guilty party here will remain Charles Ofdensen; he organized it, he persecuted it, he saw his results, and my mother's name will no longer be soiled by his actions. First we see that she comes home, then we figure out the rest though.

Yours respectfully;

Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: A Message To Achkaerin
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:31:06 AM »

Empress Sutaraito,

As you will be aware when making what has been regarded around here as an ill advised press statement on the matter you invited Empress Serenity aboard the United States to discuss this matter with you. She left not that long ago and is en route, she is accompanied by people who have legal knowledge and relevance to the situation. I recommend you discuss this with them in person. I do reiterate that is in the best interests of everyone concerned that Rokkenjima abandon this challenge to the plea of the Saisei Empress as surely Mr Stanley has informed you of the weakness of it and it is not going to be worth pursuing a forlorn hope when those Courts are about to get extremely busy in relation to sorting out the criminal matters regarding the Kalasin conflict. Once again put the suggestions to the Empress when you talk to her.

Signed

Robert Westbrooke
Attorney General

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 01:56:00 AM »

A Message To Achkaerin

We shall thus discuss the return to Rokkenjima of the Saisei Empress and Lucinda Hadley, I can think of no world where those two souls would be divided. I look forward to a successful resolution of our differences, and the realization of our mutual objectives.

Yours respectfully;

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 11:49:45 PM »
After excusing herself for her daily call with her mother Asuna returned, after excusing herself of course, motioning for Serenity to sit with her. "So I had a talk with mum, and she was quite honest in her views on things, and I feel like I learned a lot about why passion needs reason to guide it. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way," Asuna paused, "when it comes to her, I find it hard to separate my duties from my personal feelings, like this woman gave birth to me and cared for me so much that how could I not go all out on her behalf? I know a lot probably came off wrong and I'll apologize for that, I wasn't acting reasonably, but I can't apologize for the feelings in my heart; feelings are true. But I shouldn't of asked Stanley to go all out against you. I'm willing to work something out, if you're willing to do the same, and maybe after that, if I haven't poisoned the waters too much, we can become family more than sharing the same blood?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 01:29:32 AM »
OOC - Operating on the basis of this post having occurred in terms of arrival and who's present.

"Your certainly your mothers daughter, stubborn to the point of foolishness," Serenity said "Primarily your conversation here isn't with me it's with Lieutenant Foster and Lieutenant Newton, I'm fairly confident Nell's itching to give you a law crash course by the way, but they are the attorney's of record for the case so it doesn't matter what I think, I've seen what they've come up with because Nell knows I used to be in Gary's position and I'm happy with it and I would recommend you agree to it. My other bit of advice, and this is because I can somewhat guess what's about to be said - seriously consider whether Lucius Stanley is competent in his role." she leaned back on the seat as Nell leaned forward

"Your Majesty when we talk about introducing drugs as evidence especially in the manner that you did we're talking in a legal sense about the defence of diminished responsbility essentially that means the person committed the crime but was not of sound mind and judgement due to something pertaining to their mental state, think about manslaughter operates you have the act but not the intent if you want something similar, what this defence does is you get a special verdict of guilty by diminished responsibility it's not like provocation or self defence which are what you argue at trial, diminished responsibility is what we call a mitigation defence, it reduces your liability because you're not of sound mind, basically you did it but did not understand what you were doing, but it doesn't eliminate the liability. So you see why a former member of our office." she indicated Serenity "Would tell you to drop the legal challenge to the plea? Because your mother already has a guilty plea, introducing evidence of her being drugged does not change the plea because you'd be arguing diminished responsibility. In short it won't go anywhere and it probably gets dismissed within five minutes."

"You'd also probably get a fine for wasting court time." Gary said "We're about to get very busy with the legal fallout from the Kalasin conflict that's going to take up a lot of legal hours and hearings, time will be at a premium."

"That said." Nell continued "The idea of you being able to get your mother home is not reliant on a legal appeal. The reasons the Court has previously declined to send her back to serve her time in Rokkenjima are firstly because she was so beloved of the public that if she were sent back there was no guarantee she would actually serve the time in prison, that subsided as time moved on but then of course Ofdensen happened, your aunt Kyoko happened and everything became a bit of a mess."

"The current position is that your mother is under house arrest I can file with the Court a motion that the location of that be moved to somewhere of the Prosecution's i.e. Lieutenant Foster's choosing in Rokkenjima, subject to whatever conditions she wishes to impose, think of it like bail terms." Gary said "Just as Empress Serenity has I've seen the list and as technically your mothers counsel I'm happy with the terms." he paused "However these terms will need to be complied with by your nation , so it's down to you. I am recommending as your mother's attorney that you sign them."

"I do need to make one thing clear." Nell said opening her briefcase and getting out the papers "I know you diplomats don't often hear this, yes I know she's your mother and I don't believe her to be an evil witch or anything and it pains me saying this but I have those who instruct me just as Gary does, these conditions are not negotiable." she took a breath "Do you want to say anything before I show you?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:35 AM »
"Seeing her home is the first step in a process," Asuna said, "I can't quite say now where that process will lead, but it will lead to a destination. Some will argue that as Saisei was drugged that she is the Constitutional Empress, and I'd be hard pressed to argue against them, but we will reach those stages when we reach them. We may, by virtue of returning Saisei home, be lighting off a constitutional crisis in Rokkenjima and, between us, if it results in my mother resuming her duties and me resuming my life, I'd welcome it. Shall we see where this leads, then?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 04:40:22 PM »
"I think you're seeing problems that exist in a vacuum." Serenity said "Nell just said it, one of the reasons she was kept away from serving time in Rokkenjima is because there was always the risk that some would seek to reinstall her. We wouldn't enter into this now without eliminating that risk."

"These Your Majesty are the terms of the House Arrest if moved to Rokkenjima." Nell said putting the papers in front of Asuna

Conditions of the House Arrest of Beatrice Anselmo

Section 1: The Location

1. Beatrice Anselmo shall reside at Pyrena Castle

2. Beatrice Anselmo shall be within the grounds of Pyrena Castle between the hours of 8pm and 10am every day.

3. Unless circumstances stated in this agreement exist (or emergency circumstances are present) Beatrice Anselmo shall be within the grounds of Pyrena Castle between the hours of 10am and 8pm every day.

4. All visitors to Pyrena Castle must be approved by an individual or individuals to be determined by Lt Nell Foster, Achkaerinese Navy. The same individual or individuals shall be responsible for maintaining an itinerary as required.

5. Security of Pyrena Castle to be considered the same as security of the rest of the Anselmo family.

6. Sections 1.2 and 1.4 shall also apply to Lucinda Hadley.

Section 2: Restrictions on Beatrice Anselmo

1. Beatrice Anselmo shall not engage in any royal or political duties whether directly or indirectly for the duration of her sentence.

2. Beatrice Anselmo shall be electronically tagged.

3. Beatrice Anselmo shall not leave the territory of the First Empire of Rokkenjima (for the purposes of this agreement this is defined as the territory on Ardia and does not include Rishiri)

4. Any circumstances requiring Beatrice Anselmo to leave the grounds of Pyrena Castle (in accordance with section 1.3) must be approved in the same manner as visitors under section 1.4. Should she leave the grounds in compliance then she shall be accompanied by a security operative at all times.

5. Beatrice Anselmo shall not be permitted within the grounds of the Imperial Diet.

6. The restrictions listed in section 2 (with the exception of article 2.2) shall also apply to Lucinda Hadley.

Section 3: Rokkenjima's Responsibilities

1. The Rokkenjiman Government affirms their understanding that Beatrice Anselmo is a convicted war criminal.

2. The Rokkenjiman Government affirms that there shall be no attempts before the Rokkenjiman Courts to 'clear' Beatrice Anselmo of the crimes for which she has been convicted.

3. The Rokkenjiman Government shall pay an annual fee to Achkaerin in regards to the upkeep of this arrangement.

4. The Rokkenjiman Government agrees that should Beatrice Anselmo be required to appear before the Uppsalla Convention Court in future they shall not prevent this from happening.

Section 4: Penalties

1. If any section of this agreement is violated then Beatrice Anselmo is liable to be arrested for breach of the conditions of her house arrest and/or removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin.

2. If a future Rokkenjiman Administration withdraws from this agreement then Beatrice Anselmo shall be removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin.

3. If in future the Uppsalla Convention Court orders the end of the house arrest then Beatrice Anselmo shall be removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin should it be required by the Court.

"They're fairly straightforward terms, nothing surprising in there." Nell said "In order to eliminate the risks we see potentially happening we need to be clear about where she can and cannot go and what she can and cannot do, we've also had to bind Lucinda to them a little but that's to be expected and of course we need it understood that there will no attempt to take advantage of Beatrice's presence in Rokkenjima."

"Now we know Rokkenjima has this thing of who has what authority but I'm going to be very very firm on this." Serenity said "Those are the terms and we need the signature of the Empress of Rokkenjima on them, not McKenna's, not Emerson's, yours."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 10:51:44 PM »
"Here you go," the Empress would offer.

Conditions of the House Arrest of Beatrice Anselmo

Section 1: The Location

1. Beatrice Anselmo shall reside at Pyrena Castle

2. Beatrice Anselmo shall be within the grounds of Pyrena Castle between the hours of 8pm and 10am every day.

3. Unless circumstances stated in this agreement exist (or emergency circumstances are present) Beatrice Anselmo shall be within the grounds of Pyrena Castle between the hours of 10am and 8pm every day.

4. All visitors to Pyrena Castle must be approved by an individual or individuals to be determined by Lt Nell Foster, Achkaerinese Navy. The same individual or individuals shall be responsible for maintaining an itinerary as required.

5. Security of Pyrena Castle to be considered the same as security of the rest of the Anselmo family.

6. Sections 1.2 and 1.4 shall also apply to Lucinda Hadley.

Section 2: Restrictions on Beatrice Anselmo

1. Beatrice Anselmo shall not engage in any royal or political duties whether directly or indirectly for the duration of her sentence.

2. Beatrice Anselmo shall be electronically tagged.

3. Beatrice Anselmo shall not leave the territory of the First Empire of Rokkenjima (for the purposes of this agreement this is defined as the territory on Ardia and does not include Rishiri)

4. Any circumstances requiring Beatrice Anselmo to leave the grounds of Pyrena Castle (in accordance with section 1.3) must be approved in the same manner as visitors under section 1.4. Should she leave the grounds in compliance then she shall be accompanied by a security operative at all times.

5. Beatrice Anselmo shall not be permitted within the grounds of the Imperial Diet.

6. The restrictions listed in section 2 (with the exception of article 2.2) shall also apply to Lucinda Hadley.

Section 3: Rokkenjima's Responsibilities

1. The Rokkenjiman Government affirms their understanding that Beatrice Anselmo is a convicted war criminal.

2. The Rokkenjiman Government affirms that there shall be no attempts before the Rokkenjiman Courts to 'clear' Beatrice Anselmo of the crimes for which she has been convicted.

3. The Rokkenjiman Government shall pay an annual fee to Achkaerin in regards to the upkeep of this arrangement.

4. The Rokkenjiman Government agrees that should Beatrice Anselmo be required to appear before the Uppsalla Convention Court in future they shall not prevent this from happening.

Section 4: Penalties

1. If any section of this agreement is violated then Beatrice Anselmo is liable to be arrested for breach of the conditions of her house arrest and/or removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin.

2. If a future Rokkenjiman Administration withdraws from this agreement then Beatrice Anselmo shall be removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin.

3. If in future the Uppsalla Convention Court orders the end of the house arrest then Beatrice Anselmo shall be removed from Rokkenjima back to Achkaerin should it be required by the Court.

"And she returns as an Empress of Rokkenjima would return," she would add, "via the Imperial Imperial Ryūsei to Pyrettania International Airport and then driven to Pyrena Castle. If that is acceptable you have my full approval. Can we make the travel arrangements to see her return; I've already got the Imperial Ryūsei in the air so they're likely wondering if they need to refuel or divert at this point. For what it's worth I'm sorrry for going with the dramatic approach, but she looked out for me so much, I had to return the favour in looking out for her in return. She'd do anything for me, I should be prepared to do the same for her."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 11:25:28 PM »
"No pomp and circumstance, no interviews and we have the assigned person travel with her." Serenity said "Nell who are you wanting for the approval stuff?"
"Ms Pryde would you do it?" Nettie asked looking at where the current head of Rokkenjima's security Kayleigh Pryde stood "Makes sense for it to be you."
"Ok." Kayleigh said her Seaforthian accent unmistakable "I'll need a couple of hours to talk to certain people, find out who Beatrice's shadow is going to be and so on, it's going to be a fairly dull amount of form filling I think."

"Which will undoubtedly be very boring and tiresome." Serenity giggled she looked at Asuna "So if this fine liner of yours could get the people who need to be ashore ashore, how about you and I take a spin on my ride?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 11:36:51 PM »
"If she talks to people she does, I'm sure the streets will be lined on her," Asuna would offer,. "She's not going to discount them or ignore them, can we allow her those graces on her way home?" Asuna would ask. "A lot of people still love her here," she continued, "let her have the welcome shje deserves? We all know she's going to shake hands and embellish on things, let her have those moments please.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 12:07:15 AM »
"Your Majesty that's not the point." Nell said "The agreement you've just signed states that Beatrice will not be engaging in certain things, if she gets off that plane and goes straight into a press conference or an interview she's going to be asked questions that she's not allowed to answer, if she goes and shakes hands with people then that's creating a risk factor. Not to mention the security factor that Ms Pryde has to consider. Also she's a convicted war criminal how do you think it looks if she returns like a triumphant hero? What message do you think that sends to the international community? No this must be point a to point b, this in effect a prisoner transfer not a royal procession."

"As much as it will pain you to hear this." Kayleigh said looking at Asuna "The safest way of doing this is to avoid immediate engagement with the public and the press. Your mother may well be beloved of most of the people but she also represents something else, she's party to the deaths of millions of people, I'm responsible for the safety of you and your family that includes your mother so I'm not keen on putting her out in the open where someone who might be inclined to take action takes a shot at her. We get her off the plane, we get her straight into the car, we get her straight to Pyrena. Once she's inside those walls if she wants to talk she can because that gives us time to vet and brief anyone from the press. I'm not McKenna and I'm not Emerson but you know that they'd both tell you that Lieutenant Foster is correct."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 07:16:20 AM »
"I need to be happy she's coming home and leave it at that," she sighed, "and maybe think what I have in mind isn't what she would be envisioning even. I'm sure we're both going to be viewing this from different angles after all," she added. "I'm sure if she were in my shoes she'd have signed and left it at that, please forgive and excuse my excitement."

"Speaking of those who might take action," she looked to Serenity, "there is something I think we need to discuss between us in confidence."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 06:14:54 PM »
"Then let me take you for a spin." Serenity said guiding Asuna to the ladder that she'd climbed up before their conversation had started and then down it onto the Blue Vixen, well more specifically the small sundeck that sat between the two wings. The 'ekranoyacht' was fast becoming Serenity's preferred transport method of choice, especially because she could fly it, Serenity headed inside and steered them away from the United States just enough to let the liner head for port as suggested earlier.

Returning to the sundeck once it was just them Serenity smiled "She's not as old and grand as your yachts and liners but she's sleek, innovative and fast." she said "And she has a barbecue and chill box right here." she opened up the box and picked out a drink "If you'd like one help yourself. So what's on your mind?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 08:29:12 PM »
"I quite like it," Asuna said with a smile, "I wonder if King David is maybe a lil' jealous," she continued, noting East Moreland's employment of similar craft. She followed Serenity's lead in taking a beverage, sitting down before speaking. "Firstly I was stubborn and like mum told me, acting in passion without reason. When we talked it made sense and I could see where I was being foolish. But I have heard from Emerson that you all have coined a phrase, something along the lines of "as stubborn as an Anselmo"...he might have been paraphrasing of course. All the same, I didn't mean to be difficult."

"On the other matter, there's been a couple of things concerning me. One, INIS seemed to be picking up pings from an unusual source, credit card transactions, their phone reconnecting to the network, which wouldn't raise eyebrows if it wasn't Groves we were talking about. Tamaki Kado has also said there's some investigation into Alex Rowe, he declined to go into detail with me though and said, if he's permitted, he wished to speak with my mother and some of your people upon her return. That, in addition to Aunt Kyōko's visits to the Imperial Palace every other day for our traditional tea and biscotti...there's quite a few things that I have to wonder if something is going on, you know? And I have nothing to go by that they're connected but, my gut tells me, something's not really right."

"I know mum's not to have any Imperial or political duties, which is why I'm asking if she would be able to talk with Kado with your people present as well. I don't want to risk anything on a technicality after all, not after getting her on her way home. And I mean if you have any insight to these things, anything your intel could coroborate?"

Beatrice Anselmo